In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

by the way, on the mankins talk.

got me thinking,

mankins, our 2nd, next years second (and if necessary a 5) for a first from someone who is between 10 and 22 that needs a guard.

with our 2 one's get 2 of 3 stud de, stud dt and c/g (ie barrett).

would be ruthless move trading a guy like that who gives it all, but that is bb often anyway, but make the defense to go with the offense.

this year and next 2 be all in for sb.

fa if need safety and or corner.

oh and id be remiss if i didnt say, use dennard adn talib teh way they should be, in aggressive man coverage. been saying this a bit and i noticed troy brown said teh same thing 2 days ago, "you have to play that way in this league with the pasing gaem the way it is."

we now have 2 guys who can do it.

re talib, we need to either keep him (hes been no trouble for a year minus the adderall) and mandate he stay in n.e. in the offfseasoon liek tampa did, or replace him in offseason with equal or better cb fa.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think I'd want to give up that much to move up. As much as I'd like to dump Mankin's contract, that's giving up 3 players for 1 who isn't proven yet. I think there are some good quality lineman in this draft that can be had in the 2nd round. I'd consider Mankins and a 2nd rounder to move up(if someone is willing to take it) but adding in an additional 2nd rounder is too much imo

[/QUOTE]

hey cheese,

yeah was following up on someones idea of using maknins.

bottome line, i do want to make a play for 2 studs in rd 1 and would pull the trigger with next years picks. nothing to lose except the opportunity to get soemthing out of bradys last years.

what woudl help the most. its hard to say cause we could use elite cb adn safety (not to mention a true wr who can get seperation)

but a de who cant be stopped. a dt who cant be stopped and a dominant interior o lineman would go a long way

[/QUOTE]

I think they should focus on D with the first 2 picks. I'm tired of seeing them draft  DB's in the 1st couple of rounds. I think McCourtey should stay at FS but a lot can be defined depending on how Talib plays. We should all have a better idea what they need back there over the next several weeks. Whether or not Talib is back next year is another story. I'm not sure I want to see Chung back because he gets injured so often

[/QUOTE]

agree on chung, he is also a liability in coverage.

i started sayign no more cbs in draft, esp high last year.

what do you think of mvoing into 1 to get top de and top dt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

[QUOTE]

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree that Hunt will get plenty of looks from BB/NC... also can't get over the qty of edge talent with size/length/athleticism, that could potentially be available in this class.

[/QUOTE]

hey mb, just looked at a mock last night that had them all (many) being picked iin the top half or so of rd 1. 

again what about all iin for 2 studs in rd 1?

[/QUOTE]

Would all depend on who's available and what the cost to do so would be.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I agree that Hunt will get plenty of looks from BB/NC... also can't get over the qty of edge talent with size/length/athleticism, that could potentially be available in this class.

[/QUOTE]

hey mb, just looked at a mock last night that had them all (many) being picked iin the top half or so of rd 1. 

again what about all iin for 2 studs in rd 1?

[/QUOTE]

Would all depend on who's available and what the cost to do so would be.

[/QUOTE]

screw the cost, weve wasted most of bradys years, its now or never to go for a few. and we are plenty young. thanks for weighing in.

and im reerrign up enough if neccessary to get a de and dt gamechanger..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm with you Nate. Hunt is my top choice for a Jones bookend right now. I have him somewhere in the late 1st to late 2nd range, but athletic freaks tend to rise up boards quickly. Honestly I'd be happy with either Hunt or Jenkins in the first but I think I'd prefer Jenkins so we could kick Cunningham back outside. Cunningham was awful up the middle when they decided to run on him

[/QUOTE]

how bout tradiNG up an in for BOTH (with next years picks). we need experience more than youth at some point and qualtiiy more than qunatity. if they both are that good, get 2 de studs. and o line help in 3rd.

[/QUOTE]

As much as I'd like to trade up like we did last year:

1. I don't think we have the ammo to do so
    2. I see a lot of talent in the late 1st to 3rd range
    3. We have too many holes to come away with only 2 players in the draft

We honestly need an interior OL (but with the way Wendell is playing maybe a less of a concern), a WR, a starting caliber DB, an interior DL, and depth/upgrade at DE (though Nink has looked good recently). Hopefully they take care of the OL and DB in FA but I don't have much faith in them finding a WR, or DL on the open market given their history. That's an awful lot to put into one basket. But, if you break down the draft to the first 3 rounds you have:

Interior DL:

• Jonathan Jenkins
    • Sarrif Floyd
    • Jesse Williams
    • Kwame Geathers
    • Daniel McCullers

Exterior DL:

• Alex Okafor
    • Jackson Jeffcoat
    • Tank Carradine
    • Margus Hunt
    • William Gholston
    • Michael Buchanen
    • (Jones I think will end up out of reach)

WR/DB:

• Eric Reid
    • Matt Elam
    • Robert Lester
    • Terrance Williams
    • DeAndre Hopkins
    • Cordarrelle Patterson
    • Tavon Austin
    • Johnthan Banks
    • Jordan Poyer
    • Micah Hyde

There is a lot of talent in that latish 1st to 3rd range. Frankly this year I might spend a 3rd next year to move our (hopefully) late 3rd up into the early 3rd-mid 2nd range but short of that I'd sit back and let the talent come to you. This upcoming year is going to be a good one to sit back and not move up unless someone drops

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'm with you Nate. Hunt is my top choice for a Jones bookend right now. I have him somewhere in the late 1st to late 2nd range, but athletic freaks tend to rise up boards quickly. Honestly I'd be happy with either Hunt or Jenkins in the first but I think I'd prefer Jenkins so we could kick Cunningham back outside. Cunningham was awful up the middle when they decided to run on him

[/QUOTE]

how bout tradiNG up an in for BOTH (with next years picks). we need experience more than youth at some point and qualtiiy more than qunatity. if they both are that good, get 2 de studs. and o line help in 3rd.

[/QUOTE]

We honestly need an interior OL (but with the way Wendell is playing maybe a less of a concern), a WR, a starting caliber DB, an interior DL, and depth/upgrade at DE (though Nink has looked good recently). Hopefully they take care of the OL and DB in FA but I don't have much faith in them finding a WR, or DL on the open market given their history. That's an awful lot to put into one basket. But, if you break down the draft to the first 3 rounds you have:

Interior DL:

• Jonathan Jenkins
    • Sarrif Floyd
    • Jesse Williams
    • Kwame Geathers
    • Daniel McCullers

Exterior DL:

• Alex Okafor
    • Jackson Jeffcoat
    • Tank Carradine
    • Margus Hunt
    • William Gholston
    • Michael Buchanen

WR/DB:

• Eric Reid
    • Matt Elam
    • Robert Lester
    • Terrance Williams
    • DeAndre Hopkins
    • Cordarrelle Patterson
    • Tavon Austin
    • Johnthan Banks
    • Jordan Poyer
    • Micah Hyde

There is a lot of talent in that latish 1st to 3rd range. Frankly this year I might spend a 3rd next year to move our (hopefully) late 3rd up into the early 3rd-mid 2nd range but short of that I'd sit back and let the talent come to you. This upcoming year is going to be a good one to sit back and not move up unless someone drops

[/QUOTE]

Micah Hyde could provide real value.  Was watching some tape on him last night (he'll be in my initial Top 25 Board Stack)... good size/length (6-1 190), moves well, very aggressive and tackles well (we know BB likes a DB that can tackle)... also like his ball skills (27 PD / 7 INT in his career).. and the Iowa connection.  The downside is he was arrested for public intoxication in October, so that will certainly need to be looked into... I saw him with a 5th round grade in one reputable publication, but I think he's a Day 2 talent.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Micah Hyde could provide real value.  Was watching some tape on him last night (he'll be in my initial Top 25 Board Stack)... good size/length (6-1 190), moves well, very aggressive and tackles well (we know BB likes a DB that can tackle)... also like his ball skills (27 PD / 7 INT in his career).. and the Iowa connection.  The downside is he was arrested for public intoxication in October, so that will certainly need to be looked into... I saw him with a 5th round grade in one reputable publication, but I think he's a Day 2 talent.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not to concerned about the drinking, I mean it's college and he doesn't have a past history. I doubt that will even be talked about for 30s in a draft room unless more incidents happen. I'm with you though I think he has potential to sneak into the late 2nd but ultimately end up as a day 2 pick. Personally I'm looking at him as a 3rd rounder for the Pats if he drops that far. I was trying to reserve that spot for an OL or a DE with high potential but if the go DL early and Hyde's sitting there in the 3rd I'm grabbing him, even if they need to trade a 7th to move up 5-6 spots. To me he has the same potential as Ras coming out but with a lot less injury risk. I do like his hip work too and he's one that gets his head around

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Good points guys. I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats trade back a few spots and add a 5th or 6th round pick. There's a couple guys I'd like the Pats to get that are projected to go in the middle to the back of the draft but they don't have the picks. Michael Williams is one of them. He's a great blocker, did well against Montgomery and Mingo when they played LSU

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

Good points guys. I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats trade back a few spots and add a 5th or 6th round pick. There's a couple guys I'd like the Pats to get that are projected to go in the middle to the back of the draft but they don't have the picks. Michael Williams is one of them. He's a great blocker, did well against Montgomery and Mingo when they played LSU

[/QUOTE]

I do think you'll see some movement by BB/NC, yeah... would be surprised if they ended up taking all of their assigned picks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not to concerned about the drinking, I mean it's college and he doesn't have a past history. I doubt that will even be talked about for 30s in a draft room unless more incidents happen. I'm with you though I think he has potential to sneak into the late 2nd but ultimately end up as a day 2 pick. Personally I'm looking at him as a 3rd rounder for the Pats if he drops that far. I was trying to reserve that spot for an OL or a DE with high potential but if the go DL early and Hyde's sitting there in the 3rd I'm grabbing him, even if they need to trade a 7th to move up 5-6 spots. To me he has the same potential as Ras coming out but with a lot less injury risk. I do like his hip work too and he's one that gets his head around

[/QUOTE]

Prob a fair statement RE: college drinking... as long as there's no track record of abuse(I'm sure Ferentz will give him all the info he needs), the concern is prob minimal.

Would love to land him in Rd 3... wouldn't disagree with you on the Ras-I comparison... I actually like Hyde better based on the tape (hope to see more). 

Check out Illinois CB Terry Hawthorne as well... another kid with similar size (6-0 190) that isn't afraid to get his nose dirty as a run defender and gives a very good effort.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Interior DL:

• Jonathan Jenkins
    • Sarrif Floyd
    • Jesse Williams
    • Kwame Geathers
    • Daniel McCullers

Exterior DL:

• Alex Okafor
    • Jackson Jeffcoat
    • Tank Carradine
    • Margus Hunt
    • William Gholston
    • Michael Buchanen

WR/DB:

• Eric Reid
    • Matt Elam
    • Robert Lester
    • Terrance Williams
    • DeAndre Hopkins
    • Cordarrelle Patterson
    • Tavon Austin
    • Johnthan Banks
    • Jordan Poyer
    • Micah Hyde

[/QUOTE]

very interesting conversation mb.

while i see the speparation wr need and db need, i see 2 glaring things.

1. we only have 3 picks outside of rd 7

2. bigtime playmakers will make a difference in brdyas last years more than average/ nfl players.

given these i identify 3 positons i want to focus on in the draft (db, wr, fa and udfa or trade):

monster dt

monster pass rsuhing de

dominating c/g

im tlaking moving up wiht multiple picks, at least 2 in rd 1 (and moving those up).

to do so, id be willing to trade all or most of 2014 draft.

we are young enough and need some experience, so going a year without adding a lto of youth wqith this team we will be ok.

more importantly if we dont get soem sbs we will have wasted 10+ years of having a hall of faem qb.

monster players at these 3 positions i believe will make the difference for a sb (or sb's plural) in coming years.

i will give you, if we get the huge dominating c/g in fa we can go for the wr or db in draft (but our track recored forever at both, but particularly cb, im am scared sh@@@ about bb making picks there.

by the way, really fun discussing startegies for the draft in this way (above) with you (and all) here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

great observation home

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I do think you'll see some movement by BB/NC, yeah... would be surprised if they ended up taking all of their assigned picks.

[/QUOTE]

+1 I can't remember a draft that BB kept all of his picks where they were. 2000(BB's first draft here) maybe?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

by the way, really fun discussing startegies for the draft in this way (above) with you (and all) here.

[/QUOTE]

+1

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

[/QUOTE]

home, 
    this thread is 10 times the qualtiy and type of posting on the board. actually people using their brain and having fun talking football, with a little comraderie mixed in. if only there were a pats board with only this.

ok, its up to one of you guys to create it. im a luddite when  it comes to technology and can barely send email (only slightly joking). im much more developed in right brain (creative disciplines).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

[/QUOTE]

home, 
    this thread is 10 times the qualtiy and type of posting on the board. actually people using their brain and having fun talking football, with a little comraderie mixed in. if only there were a pats board with only this.

ok, its up to one of you guys to create it. im a luddite when  it comes to technology and can barely send email (only slightly joking). im much more developed in right brain (creative disciplines).

[/QUOTE]

Hahaha don't look at me, the only knowledge I have with PC's is how to get them to malfunction. PatsEng mentioned he has experience writing software under the influence though

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

[/QUOTE]

home, 

[/QUOTE]

Hahaha don't look at me, the only knowledge I have with PC's is how to get them to malfunction.

:) 

i can relate home...

PatsEng mentioned he has experience writing software under the influence though

someone wiht the ability, time and the desire and passion to do it. dont know if eng has all those. what you think eng?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Any of you guys heard from 7393 or Faucet or Low or PL, etc.?  They haven't posted much like previous years?  Hopefully they'll join in soon.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

Any of you guys heard from 7393 or Faucet?  They haven't posted much like previous years?  Hopefully they'll join in soon.

[/QUOTE]

much?

non-existent.

we arent the same without them

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Any of you guys heard from 7393 or Faucet?  They haven't posted much like previous years?  Hopefully they'll join in soon.

[/QUOTE]

much?

non-existent.

[/QUOTE]

Indeed, hopefully they'll join in as we get closer to the SB/Combine/Pro-Days, etc.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below is my "Big 32 Board Stack", essentially the players that interest me the most in the range of NE's 5 draft pick slots... this list is fluid and likely to change and I'll be updating as more tape/info becomes available (BTW, it'd be nice to paste this in the format that I created it in, ha):

Rd 1

DE/OLB- Dion Jordan- Oregon

DT- Jesse Williams- Alabama

OG- Chance Warmack- Alabama

OL- Barrett Jones- Alabama

Rd 1-2

S- Matt Elam- Florida

CB- Jordan Poyer- Oregon State

OLB/DE- Chase Thomas- Stanford

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine- Florida State

TE- Tyler Eifert- Notre Dame

Rd 2

S- Robert Lester- Alabama

DE/OLB- Ziggy Ansah- BYU

RB- Eddie Lacy- Alabama

S- Kenny Vaccaro- Texas

Rd 2-3

CB- Micah Hyde- Iowa

CB- Bennett Jackson- Notre Dame

LB- Kevin Minter- LSU

CB- Logan Ryan- Rutgers

QB- Landry Jones- Oklahoma

Rd 3

CB- Terry Hawthorne- Illinois

LB- Shayne Skov- Stanford

WR- Ryan Swope- Tex A&M

S- Zeke Motta- Notre Dame

RB- Stepfan Taylor- Stanford

DE/OLB- Margus Hunt- SMU

S- Shawn Williams- Georgia

DT- Abry Jones- Georgia

Rd 7

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore- Notre Dame

WR TJ Moe- Missouri

DL- Quinton Dial- Alabama

WR Chad Bumphis- Miss State

OG Blaize Foltz- TCU

S- John Boyett- Oregon

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

much?

non-existent.

[/QUOTE]

Indeed, hopefully they'll join in as we get closer to the SB/Combine/Pro-Days, etc.

[/QUOTE]

hopefully. i know faucet mentioned work. anyone heard 73 give a reason for pulling back?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriot-fan-74. Show patriot-fan-74's posts

[QUOTE]

Any of you guys heard from 7393 or Faucet or Low or PL, etc.?  They haven't posted much like previous years?  Hopefully they'll join in soon.

they are missed but you guys are very good at projecting players in the draft and finding guys I haven't heard of.....Just keep up the great work guys!!

[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

jonathan jenkins mockwatch:

jennkins makes it to 16 this week, jordan to 22 in walters new mock

hopeful dreamin' 

barrett and okefor to 42 and 43, jesse willimas at 50, margus hunt 61, travis frederick 65.

all in bb, make it so. no good players this year or chances, only dominating studs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I am back..sorry, I haven't watched a ton of college football this year, but have a few thoughts.

Bb's intentions last year were to upgrade the interior of the DL. In fact, he has been looking for a couple of years now, as evidenced by taking fat Albert and Fanaene . Meanwhile, he has added jones at end, and it appears he feels good about nink at the other, but also drafted bequette in hopes he might develop into something special. Also, parcells latest interview, he stated the pats need another passrusher. I would agree. 

Looking at what Dante has done with plugins on this OL, I feel pretty good about it for next year. I think they should address the OL however and look for a quality backup at tackle. Wendell, Connolly, mankins, Thomas, McDonald...that's a solid bunch inside.  I feel a little less comfortable at tackle. 

Talib is a wild card as is dowling. Will they be back? What about Chung? 

My feeling is make McCourtys move to safety permanent. You start he and Wilson, let Chung walk or sign him for nothing. Let Gregory walk, get a backup safety or 2 cheaply. My feeling is One of Talib or dowling will be on the roster. We need another cb...again.

Based on all of the above, given where where we have youth, talent, cost of positions, etc, I want to use the draft to get a DE, DT and OT. I want to use FA to get a CB and safety. 

More thoughts to come soon on the above and actual player names.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to patriot-fan-74's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

they are missed but you guys are very good at projecting players in the draft and finding guys I haven't heard of.....Just keep up the great work guys!!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, will do!

Sections
Shortcuts