1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

endulge me if you will for a moment in a mental exercise:

for a moment, imagine what our defense woudl look like if jj watt played for us. bear with me.

how does the whole of the defense perform?

ok, now, how does the whole of the team perform through a season and the playoffs.

if you envision a dramtic change in our defense and our ability to win games,

this is the evidence i submit to back my case for trading any and even all of 2014 draft picks to move up in round one and into round 1 again. making 2 picks to get 2 DOMINATING  players (im thinking dt and de). with the third pick we need a c/g who can win consistently run blocking and pass blocking.

any other accoutrement we do in fa (though we can take a shot in the 7th and udfa for wr or db).

we are beginning to need some experience more than youth (afer this draft) and its been a long time since weve been to the promised land and brady wont be here forever. 

for the record, if we added a player like watt to this team, i think wed be favored to win the sb, not rated the 9th best team in power rankings (finallly dropping to this spot) in most places at the moment (where i  have had us for several weeks).

consider.....

My initial thought is, there are no JJ Watt type players in this class (6-5 295 DE's that can do it all), so trying to duplicate him in this class will not work... one could also present Chandler Jones as a reason to feel confident about the potential of landing potential impact talent in the early 20's... which would likely be BB's ceiling if he's looking to move up (on the assumption that they'll be drafting towards the back end of Rd 1).

For the sake of this exercise, what (2) players are you locked in on (leveraging the entire 2014 draft) as guarantees to be dominant and why?

hey mb, not jj watt duplicate.

just talking about a dominating dt and de.. the why is explained in my post. the who is up to you individually, me, and bb to figure out. candidates examples jenkins and werner (alternatively jenkins and jordan) with  frederick in 3rd

there are at least a couple or 3 at de and dt that look they are or could be dominating. so if we moved up to 12-15 we could grab who is available for example at de/olb: j jones, moore, werner, maybe jordan (we could pick the best at the number we can rise to as opposed to hoping the bottom pick makes it to us). of course the option of gambling on the upside of ansah or hunt without trading up exists. id like to be as sure as possible with brady's last few years.

I think a slight move up to the early 20's is a possible option, but I don't think they have the ammo to move up a lot... don't see them leveraging much from next years draft.  If asked to give my opinion at gunpoint, my feeling is they'll trade back where possible this year to try and acquire additional picks this year or next.

I'd be very happy with a Jesse Williams or Matt Elam etc., in the back end of Rd 1... assuming both are available.

Kid's like Stanford OLB/DE Chase Thomas and Oregon State CB Jordan Poyer are also very appealing to me in the top 40 range.

thanks mb, you beat me to the next question (after what woud leveyone like.. what does eveyone expect bb to  do. i too think over 50% cahnce he moves down as thats his pattern.

however i give a stronger than normale year chance he moves up in rd 1. hes making moves since last years draft showing he sees some urgency.

a cb or safety in round 1 woudl be disappoinging to me, as i dont thign it woudl make the defense dominating. a guy on the d line who conistently wins would help tremendously. 2 would make our defense dangerous and give us good chance for the sb

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

lol ouch that looks like it hurts though not great tackling techinique. With bigger strong back that hit might or might not result in a tackle and could leave the door open for a large run around the edge. I prefer Rodney's approach which he said, when you tackle you should never leave your feet, just drop your should run and run through the player. If you leave your feet you have no control over how hard you are going to hit.

It's is a big plus though to see Elam isn't afraid to make a big hit and another big plus that he knows how to move his head away from the point of contact

Haha, believe it or not, that back was 225 pounds (Spencer Ware, one of LSU's seemingly endless stable of big backs).  I'd agree that it's not ideal wrap and drive technique... but I'd def prefer to see a tackler explode completely through a ball carrier than just try and drop a shoulder.

I'd have to say, of the S's that I've watched on tape (and I've seen pretty much all of them in this class), Elam... is one of, if not the best tackler... ND's Zeke Motta is up there as well... heck, I wish BB showed his DB's tape of ND games and how little YAC their DB's give up.  Imagine some sort of contract incentive where a player is bonused for not missing a tackle?  You'll never see it, but it may clean things up, ha.

brilliant idea.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

for a moment, imagine what our defense woudl look like if jj watt played for us. bear with me.

ok, now, how does the whole of the team perform through a season and the playoffs.

this is the evidence i submit to back my case for trading any and even all of 2014 draft picks to move up in round one and into round 1 again. making 2 picks to get 2 DOMINATING  players (im thinking dt and de). with the third pick we need a c/g who can win consistently run blocking and pass blocking.

any other accoutrement we do in fa (though we can take a shot in the 7th and udfa for wr or db).

we are beginning to need some experience more than youth (afer this draft) and its been a long time since weve been to the promised land and brady wont be here forever. 

for the record, if we added a player like watt to this team, i think wed be favored to win the sb, not rated the 9th best team in power rankings (finallly dropping to this spot) in most places at the moment (where i  have had us for several weeks).

consider.....

My initial thought is, there are no JJ Watt type players in this class (6-5 295 DE's that can do it all), so trying to duplicate him in this class will not work... one could also present Chandler Jones as a reason to feel confident about the potential of landing potential impact talent in the early 20's... which would likely be BB's ceiling if he's looking to move up (on the assumption that they'll be drafting towards the back end of Rd 1).

For the sake of this exercise, what (2) players are you locked in on (leveraging the entire 2014 draft) as guarantees to be dominant and why?

just talking about a dominating dt and de.. the why is explained in my post. the who is up to you individually, me, and bb to figure out. candidates examples jenkins and werner (alternatively jenkins and jordan) with  frederick in 3rd

there are at least a couple or 3 at de and dt that look they are or could be dominating. so if we moved up to 12-15 we could grab who is available for example at de/olb: j jones, moore, werner, maybe jordan (we could pick the best at the number we can rise to as opposed to hoping the bottom pick makes it to us). of course the option of gambling on the upside of ansah or hunt without trading up exists. id like to be as sure as possible with brady's last few years.

I think a slight move up to the early 20's is a possible option, but I don't think they have the ammo to move up a lot... don't see them leveraging much from next years draft.  If asked to give my opinion at gunpoint, my feeling is they'll trade back where possible this year to try and acquire additional picks this year or next.

I'd be very happy with a Jesse Williams or Matt Elam etc., in the back end of Rd 1... assuming both are available.

Kid's like Stanford OLB/DE Chase Thomas and Oregon State CB Jordan Poyer are also very appealing to me in the top 40 range.

thanks mb, you beat me to the next question (after what woud leveyone like.. what does eveyone expect bb to  do. i too think over 50% cahnce he moves down as thats his pattern.

however i give a stronger than normale year chance he moves up in rd 1. hes making moves since last years draft showing he sees some urgency.

a cb or safety in round 1 woudl be disappoinging to me, as i dont thign it woudl amek the defense dominating. a guy on the d line who conistently wins would help tremendously. 2 would make our defense dangersou and give us good cahncesd for the sb

Problem is, the secondary is their biggest defensive weakness. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

consider.....

a cb or safety in round 1 woudl be disappoinging to me, as i dont thign it woudl amek the defense dominating. a guy on the d line who conistently wins would help tremendously. 2 would make our defense dangersou and give us good cahncesd for the sb

and has been for years.

at this point in the gaem, id keep talib and use fa for def backs needed.

how woudl you feel if we whifffed yet again at a high db pick?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

consider.....

and has been for years.

Same way I'd feel if they whiffed on any high round pick.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Coming in late to this thread but what are your projections for Notre Dame seniors and eligble jrs

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mgraham's comment:

Coming in late to this thread but what are your projections for Notre Dame seniors and eligble jrs

mg, welcome back.

• LB Te'o- Top 10-15
    • TE Eifert- Top 40
    • S Motta- Top 100
    • C Cave- Rd 4-6
    • RB Riddick Rd 5-7
    • DE Lewis-Moore Rd 5-7
    • S Slaughter 7-URFA
    • C/OG Golic 7-URFA
    • WR Toma URFA

The below SR's/RS JR's I project to come back for a 5th year:

• OT- Martin
    • OG- Watt
    • RB- Wood
    • LB- Calabrese
    • LB- Fox

The below JR's/RS Soph's would prob come off the board on Day 2, but I think they'll come back:

• NT Nix
    • CB Jackson
    • OLB/DE Shembo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

consider.....

and has been for years.

you know as well as i, that bb misses on dbs frequently and on wrs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

terrence willimas is kicking @ss and taking names today.

baylor looks good for the upset going into the 4th up by 3 tds

if not for stanford's fumble of a punt, the same woudl be true for stanford at oregon.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

by the way, the case can easily be made that the ncaa is managing these games. this is the 3rd call ive seen this year given to the team expected to win when they were going to lose (nd at stanford, pitt at nd and now stanford at oregon-gift pass interference on 3rd and 10 at their own 20 with a minute left.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

ARE THE IRISH EYES SMILIN' NOTRE DAME SHOULD BE #1 TOMORROW.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

the season of irish bigtime luck continues.

matt barkley is most likely out with a shoulder injury next week, which makes notre dame going to a nc more than liklely. even though, i dont think theyd make it out of the sec with less than 2 (but more likley 3  losses) this year. just opinion (but not based on nothing). the luck the irish have had this year is not opinion (for those who atched all year). we'll see what happensd next week at the likely barkley-less trojans.

interestingly ucla woulda been a much tougher game for nd.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

FBS WHAT A JOKE. 

kansas state gets blown out by an unranked team then is # 5 in the bcs?

joke.

political (power and money).

also nd needs to be forced to choose a conference to participate in the bcs. they should not have the advantage of choosing all their games. if nd played in the pac 12, "big 12", or sec, would they be undefeated? maybe. impossible to say. but unfair the way it is now.

football folowers may note that uconn beat pitt. uconn.

what if nd was in the acc, clemson is a pretty tough offense.

well see what happens in the "money league" in college football next year.

nc looks to be alabam/georgia winner and nd.

have  a preference mb?

goergia has come on late in the year.

but their coach is not near the coach saban is.

anyone see the lsu ole miss game?

WHAT A GAME!

havent seen a better college game all year.

was in doubt all the way.

ole miss has made thoir way up in competitiveness to play wiht the big boys.

they have a geat young qb

next year, for thos wathing closely, they get the #1 recruit in the country. a pass rushng d lineman who beats triple teams in high school. monster of a kid.

in 2 years ole miss will  be DANGEROUS it appears (if they continue with the current trend).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

New record.

johnny manziel (johnny football)

first rookie in fbs history 3k yarsds pass, 1k yards run. a and m looks to be good till this guy graduates

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

consider.....

and has been for years.

Certainly, that's not debatable, however I don't think it will really change his draft strategy... though I hope it causes them to take a step back, reflect and make changes where needed to how they're evaluating and identifying perimeter talent.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

FBS WHAT A JOKE. 

joke.

also nd needs to be forced to choose a conference to participate in the bcs. they should not have the advantage of choosing all their games. if nd played in the pac 12, "big 12", or sec, would they be undefeated? maybe. impossible to say. but unfair the way it is now.

have  a preference mb?

WHAT A GAME!

next year, for thos wathing closely, they get the #1 recruit in the country. a pass rushng d lineman who beats triple teams in high school. monster of a kid.

in 2 years ole miss will  be DANGEROUS it appears (if they continue with the current trend).

ND still has to go out and handle their business against SC, but given the choice I'd hope to see ND play Bama.  It'd be a good measuring stick game, though there's no doubting that ND is a top level team with an elite D... and if they win, I wanna see how the haters will try and spin it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

I think the BCS should look like this:

1. Notre Dame

2. Alabama - lost to Texas A+M (#8)

3. Georgia- lost to South Carolina (#9)

4. Florida- lost to Georgia (#5)

5. Oregon- lost to Stanford (#13)

6. Kansas St. -lost to Baylor (not ranked)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

the season of irish bigtime luck continues.

matt barkley is most likely out with a shoulder injury next week, which makes notre dame going to a nc more than liklely. even though, i dont think theyd make it out of the sec with less than 2 (but more likley 3  losses) this year. just opinion (but not based on nothing). the luck the irish have had this year is not opinion (for those who atched all year). we'll see what happensd next week at the likely barkley-less trojans.

interestingly ucla woulda been a much tougher game for nd.

With all the freshman qb's who are playing well lately, this kid Wittek makes me nervous. I think Barkley is overated anyway

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

FBS WHAT A JOKE. 

joke.

have  a preference mb?

WHAT A GAME!

ND still has to go out and handle their business against SC, but given the choice I'd hope to see ND play Bama.  It'd be a good measuring stick game, though there's not doubting that ND is a top level team with an elite D... and if they win, I wanna see how the haters will try and spin it.

Would love to see that matchup

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

consider.....

and has been for years.

Certainly, that's not debatable, however I don't think it will really change his draft strategy... though I hope it causes them to take a step back, reflect and make changes where needed to how they're evaluating and identifying perimeter talent.

at teh least. bu tiuve been hoiing that for years. my conclusion is this is a one man operation. and we dotn have the best in the business as support

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

FBS WHAT A JOKE. 

joke.

have  a preference mb?

WHAT A GAME!

ND still has to go out and handle their business against SC, but given the choice I'd hope to see ND play Bama.  It'd be a good measuring stick game, though there's no doubting that ND is a top level team with an elite D... and if they win, I wanna see how the haters will try and spin it.

if they won they can say tehy earned it. but i feel other teams (ie sec teams have to do a hell of a lot more to make that nc game). join a conference and the whispers and shouts will die down tremendously.

winning the sec is much harder than winning a nc in the past several years. anyone who can enetertain an unbiased thought, why do you think nd refuses to join a conference till now.

with all teh money and politics even an 8 team playoff might not have the best team in the country. certainly it woudl allow a beter cance.

the top sec teams are not head and shoulders above teh rest of teh teams in the country this year. but they have had to do a lot more than a team from another conference or nd to make it to a nc game. lsu to me looks like a better team right now, than bama, but has 2 losses and is considered out of it.

anyone who has seen oregon play, oregon is clealry better than nd.

k state i belive is as well.

were i polled or the title game, i would give it to oregon over k state, both over nd.

in the sec i have it lsu 1, bama 2 and oregon the only team that has teh talent to play with them

at this moment (things change on the field) id vote oregon and lsu in the title game. but could see bama there as well (i have jsut a tick below lsu at moment)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

1. Notre Dame

wasnt stanfor 18 going into that game?

thanks for weighing in home.

in a poll (if i had a vote)  i would have lsu 1 right now. poll is best team on the field right now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

FBS WHAT A JOKE. 

joke.

have  a preference mb?

WHAT A GAME!

ND still has to go out and handle their business against SC, but given the choice I'd hope to see ND play Bama.  It'd be a good measuring stick game, though there's not doubting that ND is a top level team with an elite D... and if they win, I wanna see how the haters will try and spin it.

Would love to see that matchup

unless a usc miracle, you will.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

1. Notre Dame

wasnt stanfor 18 going into that game?

thanks for weighing in home.

in a poll (if i had a vote)  i would have lsu 1 right now. poll is best team on the field right now.

I don't know how you can make a case for LSU as the #1 team when they lost to the (2) best teams that they've played (Bama/Florida).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Updated board stack below:

Rd 1

DE/OLB- Dion Jordan- Oregon

DT- Jesse Williams- Alabama

OG- Chance Warmack- Alabama

OL- Barrett Jones- Alabama

Rd 1-2

S- Matt Elam- Florida

DT- Louis Nix- Notre Dame *ADDED 11/19*

CB- Jordan Poyer- Oregon State

OLB/DE- Chase Thomas- Stanford