***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

so given the sceanrio of walter's current mock, 

would you take short, okefor, ansah or hunt at end of rd 1?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Another interesting kid day 2 pick from a small college is Quanterus Smith from W Kentucky. 6'5" 250lbs looks like a mid 4.6 - mid 4.7 player on the field and has been tearing it up in the under ranks forcing fumbles and dominating behind the line. At first I thought his game against Ala at the beginning of the season was a fluke but the more I'm looking into the kid the more I like. This kid might be one of my new favorite sleepers. One interesting thing to note is he didn't just boom this year. He's been stadily progressing since he joined the college ranks and seems to take well to coaching. He might be my new binky in the 3rd

All, have been reading you all for years even before this thread was started.  I thought I start commenting once in a while. if that is all right

Hey PatsEng, just found this.  Hope he recovers.
    11/20/12 - Western Kentucky University senior defensive end Quanterus Smith will miss the remainder of the 2012 football season after suffering a torn left anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in the fourth quarter on Saturday against Louisiana-Lafayette.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Another interesting kid day 2 pick from a small college is Quanterus Smith from W Kentucky. 6'5" 250lbs looks like a mid 4.6 - mid 4.7 player on the field and has been tearing it up in the under ranks forcing fumbles and dominating behind the line. At first I thought his game against Ala at the beginning of the season was a fluke but the more I'm looking into the kid the more I like. This kid might be one of my new favorite sleepers. One interesting thing to note is he didn't just boom this year. He's been stadily progressing since he joined the college ranks and seems to take well to coaching. He might be my new binky in the 3rd

All, have been reading you all for years even before this thread was started.  I thought I start commenting once in a while. if that is all right

Hey PatsEng, just found this.  Hope he recovers.
    11/20/12 - Western Kentucky University senior defensive end Quanterus Smith will miss the remainder of the 2012 football season after suffering a torn left anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in the fourth quarter on Saturday against Louisiana-Lafayette.

jjbd,

Welcome to the thread, post as often as you'd like... we'd love to hear from ya.

Tough news with Smith, especially coming this late in the season... may represent some late round value or a priority FA now for some team that could hold a roster spot for him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

Based on how that board played out, I'd be most tempted by Jesse Williams then Matt Elam.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Based on how that board played out, I'd be most tempted by Jesse Williams then Matt Elam.

Hunt in the second round! use the first round to get a big C, barrett perhaps, so connolly can play guard.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOD. Show FOD's posts

Pretty soon with repeating all the quotes, it will take a whole page to read one post.  It's too bad there's no way to stop that. 

The Pats defense solidified itself quite a bit last sunday, but tonight couls be a big test.  Jones is out.    

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

offense

new idea, since BB is bad at drafting WR's and most teams have trouble covering TE's why not just draft a set of TE's.  using TE's in place of WR's.  Have one burner WR who a team would have to double cover, place Hernandez at WR, gronk at TE and draft another big and fast TE such as

Levine Toilolo*, TE, Stanford Height: 6-8. Weight: 265. Projected 40 Time: 4.62.

the shear size of these guys require double coverage and it would be tough to choose who to double cover. You can't use just a regular CB to cover these guys because they wouldn't have the strength to tackle them after the catch.  having a WR/TE core of guys who are bigger than 6'-5" and 240 lb would mean that most teams wouldn't have enough big CB's or safeties to be able to cover this.  they would also have to have a safety deep to cover the burner WR who would go deep every play.  next season we would have Jake Ballard, gronk, hernandez, hauwanaimi (however you spell his name)  this frees us from spending a high draft pick at the WR position and allows us to let welker go if he does not accept a reasonable contract.  We would also resign endelman as a backup option.  I think with added playing time he could be quite good and perhaps close to as good as welker. 

Vollmer might not be back due to his back problems and the value of a good OT, he might want to be paid as if he were a LT being that he can play the position.  Therefore i propose that we bring in King Dunlap, the Eagles OT.  He is a bit raw but we have the best O-line coach in the league.  We have issues with our OG's staying healthy therefore i propose that we use our 1st round pick on Barrett jones and placing him at Center.  With the increasing size of DT/NT in this league teams need a big C to stand them up.  This would also free up connolly to play right OG  his more natural position.  I would also draft og braden hansen in the 5th round.

Defense

Wilfork can't do it all by himself. he needs help, i think adding jones helped him and gave us a lot more pass rush.  I would also add Israel Idonije DT in FA.  However while i like what Nink has done so far this season i would love to add another Pass rushing DE.  I think the best value would be to select Margus Hunt in the second round.  he is a physical freak, who could help on special teams and could easily break up passes if taught to keep his hands up. 

Our core of DB's who have checkered pasts has worked pretty good. Denard and talib played great together.  I propose we use a late round pick on tyrann Mathieu because of the shear value he brings.  A heisman finalist who could really help our DB's.  we would also need to pick up a safety in FA, perhaps Dashon Goldson or Jairus Byrd. Either of these guys paired up with McCourty would be a great combo.  I would also hire a new DB's coach. Brett maxie of the Tenessee titans would be my first choice.  In order to bring him in we would have to promote him to assistant-D coordinator, but if it fixed our Db's it would be well worth it.  We also will have to resign talib.  hopefully Wilson will improve to be the top rotational S for our team.  

recap

bring in Brett maxie as new DB's coach

resign woodhead, endelman, brace, Talib, and fletcher.

sign King Dunlap OT, dashon Goldson S, Aaron Curry OLB, Israel Idonije DT

letting walk- welker (need the cap $), Vollmer (will be offered too much by ther teams), chung

2013 NFL draft

1st Round - Barrett Jones, T/G/C, Alabama
    2nd Round - Margus Hunt, DE, SMU (2-3 round)
    3rd Round – trade down in 3rd round and pick up a 5th Levine Toilolo*, TE, Stanford
    4th Round - Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU

5th Round - Braden Hansen, G, BYU
    7th Round - Ron Powell*, OLB, Florida  or Jake stoneburner, TE, OSU

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

IMO the price for Goldson will be very high. Byrd has been a ballhawk in the past and would cost alot less. If Talib continues to look good he might also get a contract from the Pats.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

Hunt in the second round! use the first round to get a big C, barrett perhaps, so connolly can play guard.

hey nate, i know you would be the only one to pick an olineman in 1st i was sometimes with you on that last year. would love it this year but i put d line higher and could get a good c/g in 3rd ie think ie frederick. if we got jones i couldnt compalin. however hunt would not be availble late in the 2nd in that scenrio or any real life scenario i see. do you trade up to top of rd 2 to get him?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

offense

new idea, since BB is bad at drafting WR's and most teams have trouble covering TE's why not just draft a set of TE's.  using TE's in place of WR's.  Have one burner WR who a team would have to double cover, place Hernandez at WR, gronk at TE and draft another big and fast TE such as

Levine Toilolo*, TE, Stanford Height: 6-8. Weight: 265. Projected 40 Time: 4.62.

the shear size of these guys require double coverage and it would be tough to choose who to double cover. You can't use just a regular CB to cover these guys because they wouldn't have the strength to tackle them after the catch.  having a WR/TE core of guys who are bigger than 6'-5" and 240 lb would mean that most teams wouldn't have enough big CB's or safeties to be able to cover this.  they would also have to have a safety deep to cover the burner WR who would go deep every play.  next season we would have Jake Ballard, gronk, hernandez, hauwanaimi (however you spell his name)  this frees us from spending a high draft pick at the WR position and allows us to let welker go if he does not accept a reasonable contract.  We would also resign endelman as a backup option.  I think with added playing time he could be quite good and perhaps close to as good as welker. 

Vollmer might not be back due to his back problems and the value of a good OT, he might want to be paid as if he were a LT being that he can play the position.  Therefore i propose that we bring in King Dunlap, the Eagles OT.  He is a bit raw but we have the best O-line coach in the league.  We have issues with our OG's staying healthy therefore i propose that we use our 1st round pick on Barrett jones and placing him at Center.  With the increasing size of DT/NT in this league teams need a big C to stand them up.  This would also free up connolly to play right OG  his more natural position.  I would also draft og braden hansen in the 5th round.

Defense

Wilfork can't do it all by himself. he needs help, i think adding jones helped him and gave us a lot more pass rush.  I would also add Israel Idonije DT in FA.  However while i like what Nink has done so far this season i would love to add another Pass rushing DE.  I think the best value would be to select Margus Hunt in the second round.  he is a physical freak, who could help on special teams and could easily break up passes if taught to keep his hands up. 

Our core of DB's who have checkered pasts has worked pretty good. Denard and talib played great together.  I propose we use a late round pick on tyrann Mathieu because of the shear value he brings.  A heisman finalist who could really help our DB's.  we would also need to pick up a safety in FA, perhaps Dashon Goldson or Jairus Byrd. Either of these guys paired up with McCourty would be a great combo.  I would also hire a new DB's coach. Brett maxie of the Tenessee titans would be my first choice.  In order to bring him in we would have to promote him to assistant-D coordinator, but if it fixed our Db's it would be well worth it.  We also will have to resign talib.  hopefully Wilson will improve to be the top rotational S for our team.  

recap

bring in Brett maxie as new DB's coach

resign woodhead, endelman, brace, Talib, and fletcher.

sign King Dunlap OT, dashon Goldson S, Aaron Curry OLB, Israel Idonije DT

letting walk- welker (need the cap $), Vollmer (will be offered too much by ther teams), chung

2013 NFL draft

1st Round - Barrett Jones, T/G/C, Alabama
    2nd Round - Margus Hunt, DE, SMU (2-3 round)
    3rd Round – trade down in 3rd round and pick up a 5th Levine Toilolo*, TE, Stanford
    4th Round - Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU

5th Round - Braden Hansen, G, BYU
    7th Round - Ron Powell*, OLB, Florida  or Jake stoneburner, TE, OSU

very thorough nate. 

my only complaints

1. you dont mention letting arrington walk: a must

2. chung cant cover a lick and earns more than he worth in fa (hes worth nothing to me, i cut ties)

3. i would try to tag and trade welker if he wont sign reasaonable 3 year offer.

addendum: i would try to resign volmer to reasonalble contract. his back seems to have healed from last year (but i could go your way as well).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

very thorough nate. 

my only complaints

2. chung cant cover a lick and earns more than he worth in fa (hes worth nothing to me, i cut ties)

3. i would try to tag and trade welker if he wont sign reasaonable 3 year offer.

addendum: i would try to resign volmer to reasonalble contract. his back seems to have healed from last year (but i could go your way as well).

I think signing Vollmer is the key.  If he signs with another team and BB can't find similiar talent in free agency, I thnk OT moves to first priority in the draft.  Arrington can walk.  Chung maybe stays.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

mb, to get elam on that board youd have to use your first round pick (maybe trade down a few but you dont get williams too, unless mortgaging 2014).

they dont list jesse. would you be willlng trade up in rd 1 for williams?

id go nates route on safety. rather use the $ on a proven guy and use the picks to get what you cant  (dt and des that good).

(also what's the last db pick bb made that was a big hit in rd 1 or 2?).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

nate commoly out again this week. if it's his back i may lean toward your suggestion at right tackl.e i thought hed gotten padst it finally. well see.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

hey nate, i know you would be the only one to pick an olineman in 1st i was sometimes with you on that last year. would love it this year but i put d line higher and could get a good c/g in 3rd ie think ie frederick. if we got jones i couldnt compalin. however hunt would not be availble late in the 2nd in that scenrio or any real life scenario i see. do you trade up to top of rd 2 to get him?

walter football has hunt in the 3rd round in their mock, yes i know this might change, but for now it is a reasonable assumption to take him in the 2nd.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[/QUOTE]

mb, to get elam on that board youd have to use your first round pick (maybe trade down a few but you dont get williams too, unless mortgaging 2014).

id go nates route on safety. rather use the $ on a proven guy and use the picks to get what you cant  (dt and des that good).

[/QUOTE]

if we don't resign welker, chung, and vollmer i can for sure see the money available for a proven safety such as byrd or gholdson.  I just don't see a safety worth more than a stud DE or C we could get in the first 2 rounds of the draft.  Plus most safties after those rounds are not normally starting caliber for at least a year or two.  with the injuries on our O-line we really need the help.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

walter football has hunt in the 3rd round in their mock, yes i know this might change, but for now it is a reasonable assumption to take him in the 2nd.

my bad, i see them having him at 63 today. 

by the way, did you watch the game today?

that dt need goes way up high. ditto wiht no pressure on the qb.

altho the o line need is high. i gotta say dt and de studs are the highest needs for me in this draft. followed by center guard.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[/QUOTE]

very thorough nate. 

my only complaints

[/QUOTE]

I think signing Vollmer is the key.  If he signs with another team and BB can't find similiar talent in free agency, I thnk OT moves to first priority in the draft.  Arrington can walk.  Chung maybe stays.

[/QUOTE]

chung might fetch a nice compensational pick especially if vollmer and arrington also go.  Arrington did lead the league in interceptions last season so who knows if a team would spend big bucks on him.  The colts do start butler now.  The reason i didn't decide to tag welker because i believe the value would be over 12 million and i don't see a team giving him 12 million and give us the 1st+ round picks he is worth. 

I really think King dunlap could be a good guy to replace Vollmer.  check him out.  he is huge and he just has some technique flaws but nothing scar can't fix. While i would love to resign him i just see better use of the $ in bringing in a star safety and signing the low value dunlap to take vollmers place. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

altho the o line need is high. i gotta say dt and de studs are the highest needs for me in this draft. followed by center guard.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah it was a great game.  I agree that DE/DT is a need i just think our highest prioity is keeping brady healthy and upright.  lets face it our offense wins games for us.  I think Nink and bequette are improving and might be able to help our D-line.  remember jones was not playing as well. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

very thorough nate. 

my only complaints

chung might fetch a nice compensational pick especially if vollmer and arrington also go.  Arrington did lead the league in interceptions last season so who knows if a team would spend big bucks on him.  The colts do start butler now.  The reason i didn't decide to tag welker because i believe the value would be over 12 million and i don't see a team giving him 12 million and give us the 1st+ round picks he is worth. 

I really think King dunlap could be a good guy to replace Vollmer.  check him out.  he is huge and he just has some technique flaws but nothing scar can't fix. While i would love to resign him i just see better use of the $ in bringing in a star safety and signing the low value dunlap to take vollmers place. 

i follow your thinking and it makes a lot of sense

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

• Yeah it was a great game.  I agree that DE/DT is a need i just think our highest prioity is keeping brady healthy and upright.  lets face it our offense wins games for us.  I think Nink and bequette are improving and might be able to help our D-line.  remember jones was not playing as well. 

indeed. i aslo remember nink disappears against bigger and better lineman.

i am hopewfullfor bequette, but was perplexed why he can make it on the field even on third down and long pass rushing.

agree about brady, thats why i have center guard jsut behind de and dt stud and why i focus only on these 3 positions in the draft and woudl use any and all 2014 picks to get teh players we need.

we are already the 2nd youngest def in league.

i am only a hair away from your agenda i believe.

lvoe your strategies. keep developing htem and sharing  them. 

you do belive hunt will be above the bottom of rd 2 come draft time?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from FOD. Show FOD's posts

Dont forget Nate, the Pats have Jake Ballard for next year

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I was referring to the Rd 1 pick, would be looking Williams (they have him going 49th) there, then Elam in that order.

I'm not at all opposed to bringing in a FA S, though I wouldn't expect them to hand out a huge contract for one.

I don't see their track record at drafting CB/S as any sort of limiting factor on how they'll approach the 2013 draft.  I think they'll do what they do... stack their board, move up and down as needed and take the best available players at a position of need.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Does everybody pretty much feel those 3 picks all need to be hits and the team HAS TO spend 1 on a C/OG and another on a DE/DT.

Then probably CB, S, WR and rush DE would be the other 4 needs with only 1 pick to use on them.

Jairus Byrd at S over Chung, keep Talib and hope for Ras-I to give something, go after Osi or Freeney?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Does everybody pretty much feel those 3 picks all need to be hits and the team HAS TO spend 1 on a C/OG and another on a DE/DT.

Then probably CB, S, WR and rush DE would be the other 4 needs with only 1 pick to use on them.

Jairus Byrd at S over Chung, keep Talib and hope for Ras-I to give something, go after Osi or Freeney?

They're one of, if not the top teams in the AFC/NFL, so I don't think it's must have that they hit on all (3) picks... with that said, hitting on atleast 2 out of 3 would be a big step towards maintaining continuity (winning football games) and/or improving the talent/depth moving forward. 

I do hope they address the defensive side of the ball or OL early.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Happy Thanksgiving from So Cal to all. 

• Sections
    Shortcuts