***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to mbeaulieu07 comment:
    [QUOTE]

sp,

Tuitt is a true soph, won't be eligible until the 2014 draft, but def a kid to keep an eye on... was a big time 5* recruit that they pulled out of Georgia.  Navy prob isn't the best team to measure him against as not many teams still run the option, but he looked pretty disruptive to me and was penetrating/pressuring the backfield/pocket on more than one occasion.

Honey Badger has been a playmaker for LSU, but this CB class has some elite size potential with multiple CB's at 6-0+ (list below)... I also think he's more likely for the 2014 draft, after taking this year off to rehab.

Banks/Amerson/Rhodes in particular (along with Milliner), project as potential Rd 1 kids:

Johnathan Banks- 6-1 185- Miss St

Terry Hawthorne- 6-0 190- Illinios

Micah Hyde- 6-1 190- Iowa

*Dee Milliner- 6-1 198- Alabama

*David Amerson- 6-2 194- NC St

*Xavier Rhodes- 6-1 217- FSU

*Logan Ryan- 6-0 190- Rutgers

*Tharold Simon- 6-2 193- LSU

*Denotes Underclassman

[/QUOTE]

Since it's so deep we can expect BB to not take any CB's lol

But on another note with the signing of the umpteen TE in Hooman today I think they will be in the market of a TE (believe it or not) this next draft depending on how Ballard comes back (notice he's been PuPed and not IR'd) and how Fells plays

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Wow, another TE... I remember us discussing Hoomanawanui back in the 2010 class that landed Gronk/Hern, remember we had discussed NE taking Gronk/Hern early, then Hoomanawanui late... as a blocking TE... which is what had excelled at.

If NE is looking for another young TE, this could be the class... it's stacked with size and legit talent (likely the most talent potential that I can ever remember for a TE class) with Eifert being a legit flex/matchup nightmare option in the mold of Gronk... kid can play anywhere on the field... was used down by the goal line on sat on the simple corner route/jump ball... they actually ran the same play twice in a row and the DB could do nothing about it.

Jake Stoneburner- 6-5 240- Ohio State

Joseph Fauria- 6-7 252- UCLA

Philip Lutzenkirchen- 6-4 250- Auburn

Michael Williams- 6-5 272- Alabama

Ben Cotton- 6-6 255- Nebraska

*Tyler Eifert- 6-5 250- ND

*CJ Fiedorowicz- 6-6 265- Iowa

*Levine Toilolo- 6-7 263- Stanford

*Zach Ertz- 6-6 250- Stanford

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wow I had forgotten about that. Yeah I think the conversation was that Gronk was an overall TE but if they went after Hern who was closer to a HB that Hooman would be a good selection as a top end blocking TE. Maybe they will use him as an emergency T?

That would be hillarious next year if they drafted Eifert. That would make a WR core of Hern, Lloyd, Edelman, Salas, hopefully drafted player X? And a TE core of Gronk, Fells, Ballard, Eifert.

Imagine a blocking line with 4 TE's and a Demps in the backfield. Ballard, Eifert, Gronk, Fells/Hern or can you imagine the D coor getting ready for a game with Lloyd as the Z, Hern as the F, Ridley in the backfield and a 2 TE set with Gronk and Eifert at the line? I think the D coor would just quit and leave right there. Now that I think about that I say lets get it done

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Haha, and I don't think it's as far fetched as most would think... there's clearly some value to the matchup aspect and as long as you have a couple WR's, one that can stretch the field a bit (Lloyd), it would open things up underneath for shear mayhem, haha.

Honestly, how do you defend a theoritical spread of Gronk/Eifert/Hern/Lloyd?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Haha, and I don't think it's as far fetched as most would think... there's clearly some value to the matchup aspect and as long as you have a couple WR's, one that can stretch the field a bit (Lloyd), it would open things up underneath for shear mayhem, haha.

hrm, good question. If it was me....

Lloyd - You double him up at the line with 2 CB's. The weaker of the two bumps and hits at the line and drops into an underneath zone while the better coverage CB gives a buffer and covers overtop

Hern - He's to large for a CB and to quick for a LB so you stick a FS on him in coverage with a LB in the box with zone coverage underneath

Gronk - Same problem as Hern but not nearly as quick so you match a SS/LB hybrid on him and have the same underneath LB in the box

Eifert - Same as Gronk

RB - then of course you need another LB as a spy to watch for draws, screens, and flats.

So you'd be running essentially a nickle package with 2 LB's in the box and rushing 4. There's really only 3-4 teams in the league that can rush 4 and be successful and this would be one heck of a challenge for them

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'm gonna try and provide a prospect profile for as many players as I can during the season, will update as more tape/info becomes available... My first was DE/OLB Dion Jordan (6-6 243) Oregon, I'll look next at another position of potential need:  WR

Prospect Profile

WR Ryan Swope- 6-0 206- Texas A&M

Positives:

*Projects as an excellent slot WR at the NFL level with the size to play outside
    *Good size
    *Hands catcher / excellent hands
    *Good fluidity and RAC ability
    *Good effort player
    *Solid route runner
    *Tempos routes extremely well and knows how to set up his man
    *Solid production against good teams
    *Solid overall career production / 180-2204-16
    *Has some kick return experience
    *Has played special teams

Negatvies:

*Doesn't possess elite speed (likely 4.5+ range)
    *Not an elite athlete
    *Likely not a game breaker at the NFL level

Projection:

I like this kid a lot... he won't wow you with speed/athleticism, but profiles and an excellent fit for NE's offense due to his route running, his ability get open and catch the football while pickiong up yards after the catch... he's also used frequently in bubble screens/isolation plays.  With the uncertain future of WW, the inconsistency Julian Edelman and the new/yet to produce Greg Salas, slot could be a position to target in the 2013 draft and I think Swope profiles as a solid Day 2 kid.  I'll be interested to see how he performs against better overall comp now that Texas A&M is in the SEC.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

RE: Ryan Swope

As a side note, Kliff Kingsbury, who played QB with NE in 2003 and 2004 is the current OC/QB coach at A&M and is somebody that BB could consult with on this kid.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lloyd - You double him up at the line with 2 CB's. The weaker of the two bumps and hits at the line and drops into an underneath zone while the better coverage CB gives a buffer and covers overtop

Hern - He's to large for a CB and to quick for a LB so you stick a FS on him in coverage with a LB in the box with zone coverage underneath

Gronk - Same problem as Hern but not nearly as quick so you match a SS/LB hybrid on him and have the same underneath LB in the box

Eifert - Same as Gronk

RB - then of course you need another LB as a spy to watch for draws, screens, and flats.

So you'd be running essentially a nickle package with 2 LB's in the box and rushing 4. There's really only 3-4 teams in the league that can rush 4 and be successful and this would be one heck of a challenge for them

[/QUOTE]

And I'd take single coverage on Gronk/Hern/Eifert all day long, ha.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Another big injury, especially with OT looking like a potential need... gotta feel for these kids having to miss most of if not all of a season:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/20082765/report-lsu-ot-chris-faulk-no-24-rated-prospect-out-for-season

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Morning Boys,

Don't know if anyone else caught last nights Pittsburgh/Cincinnati game, but Cincinnati DE Walter Stewart- 6-5 249, really stood out to me.

This kid looks the part, good length (seen him listed anywhere from 6-3 to 6-5, but the kid looks to have long arms), explosive off the edge, good motor and plays a physical brand of football... ended last nights game with (2) sacks and a FF. 

In rearching him, he's a converted LB (which will appeal to 34 teams) which helped him develop solid instincs as evident by his (8) passes defended last year, he was also 2nd on the team to Derek Wolfe with (6) sacks and 4th with (11) TFL last season.

Teammate and fellow DE Dan Giordano 6-3 260, was another kid that stood out due to his motor and ability to get after it.  He had a solid JR season as well registering (5) sacks and 9 TFL.

It's clear that Cincy can really get after the passer!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow, another TE... I remember us discussing Hoomanawanui back in the 2010 class that landed Gronk/Hern, remember we had discussed NE taking Gronk/Hern early, then Hoomanawanui late... as a blocking TE... which is what had excelled at.

If NE is looking for another young TE, this could be the class... it's stacked with size and legit talent (likely the most talent potential that I can ever remember for a TE class) with Eifert being a legit flex/matchup nightmare option in the mold of Gronk... kid can play anywhere on the field... was used down by the goal line on sat on the simple corner route/jump ball... they actually ran the same play twice in a row and the DB could do nothing about it.

[/QUOTE]

add Lucas reed to the TE prospect list!  good size and NFL bloodlines. room to get bigger too!

Lucas Reed, TE, New Mexico
    Height: 6-6. Weight: 232.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.65.
    Projected Round (2013): 6-FA.

8/21/12: Reed is the younger brother of Houston Texans linebacker Brooks Reed. Lucas Reed hauled in 22 receptions for 241 yards as a junior in 2011. His most productive year was in 2010, when he caught 33 passes for 459 yards and five scores.

Reed caught 17 passes for 212 yards and a score in his redshirt freshman season. He will need to add weight and fill out his frame for the NFL.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to natesubs's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

add Lucas reed to the TE prospect list!  good size and NFL bloodlines. room to get bigger too!

Lucas Reed, TE, New Mexico
    Height: 6-6. Weight: 232.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.65.
    Projected Round (2013): 6-FA.

8/21/12: Reed is the younger brother of Houston Texans linebacker Brooks Reed. Lucas Reed hauled in 22 receptions for 241 yards as a junior in 2011. His most productive year was in 2010, when he caught 33 passes for 459 yards and five scores.

Reed caught 17 passes for 212 yards and a score in his redshirt freshman season. He will need to add weight and fill out his frame for the NFL.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Nate... I'll check him out... loved his brother... still wish we took him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Wow I had forgotten about that. Yeah I think the conversation was that Gronk was an overall TE but if they went after Hern who was closer to a HB that Hooman would be a good selection as a top end blocking TE. Maybe they will use him as an emergency T?

That would be hillarious next year if they drafted Eifert. That would make a WR core of Hern, Lloyd, Edelman, Salas, hopefully drafted player X? And a TE core of Gronk, Fells, Ballard, Eifert.

Imagine a blocking line with 4 TE's and a Demps in the backfield. Ballard, Eifert, Gronk, Fells/Hern or can you imagine the D coor getting ready for a game with Lloyd as the Z, Hern as the F, Ridley in the backfield and a 2 TE set with Gronk and Eifert at the line? I think the D coor would just quit and leave right there. Now that I think about that I say lets get it done

im with ya man.
    having demps and ridley (if he performs) and healthy lloyd, this team will be impossible to defend. with or without eifert.

re elite tes
    you know im on board... i rang the bell frequently last year for fleener.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Eifert - Same as Gronk

[/QUOTE]

And I'd take single coverage on Gronk/Hern/Eifert all day long, ha.

[/QUOTE]

you and eng are thinking right up my alley.
    im loving it!
    call bb and get his pulse on on it..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

havent seen much cf so hadnt logged on the thread... didn tknow you had such good copnvos going already... and right in my comfort zone.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

sp,

Tuitt is a true soph, won't be eligible until the 2014 draft, but def a kid to keep an eye on... was a big time 5* recruit that they pulled out of Georgia.  Navy prob isn't the best team to measure him against as not many teams still run the option, but he looked pretty disruptive to me and was penetrating/pressuring the backfield/pocket on more than one occasion.

Honey Badger has been a playmaker for LSU, but this CB class has some elite size potential with multiple CB's at 6-0+ (list below)... I also think he's more likely for the 2014 draft, after taking this year off to rehab.

Banks/Amerson/Rhodes in particular (along with Milliner), project as potential Rd 1 kids:

*Denotes Underclassman

[/QUOTE]

Since it's so deep we can expect BB to not take any CB's lol

But on another note with the signing of the umpteen TE in Hooman today I think they will be in the market of a TE (believe it or not) this next draft depending on how Ballard comes back (notice he's been PuPed and not IR'd) and how Fells plays

[/QUOTE]

" Since it's so deep we can expect BB to not take any CB's lol"

exactly!!!! :)
    look at wr last year.
    (ebert all he manged to do.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

damn as usual this thread has the best football conversation even when its not exclusively about the draft. weak board otherwise. glad you guys are here. by the way, where has z been this year. saw about 3 posts sprinkled in the board. wondering if hes been on a lsu hangover form the nc game, just busy, or turned off from teh lack of real football discussion (though your thread has been up several days).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Good Evening Boys...

Here's a name for you to add on your DE list... Ryan Russell #99 of Purdue, 6'5", 275 lbs. On top his body and athleticism, what I like most is his instinct and determination to get to the ball

MB, if you saw their game against ND, you can't miss this kid, with the plays he made, and I have only seen the first half so far.

Q1 6:45, ran down ND QB who scrambled tot he sideline
    Q1 2:25, scored a sack with a spin move against the ND RT
    Q2 13:43, ND QB threw a 5 yarder wide left over him. Ran back from 7 yards behind the receiver to make the tackle.
    Q2 8:55, prevented ND RB from making a play around the right corner with a spin move on Russell's teammate

Earlier in the game the announcer said, he has a 37 vertical and is projected to be close to 300 in a year or two. I prefer him to stay around 275-280 and just improve his strength and quickness

BTW...
    Riddick did not rack up a lot of stats, but I thought his catch in early Q1 was good indication he's good overall
    Tuitt I thought played better this game

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

mb, were you sweating bullets in the 4th quarter there in teh nd/purdue game, at several points a small event going in against the irish couldve turned the game....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Good Evening Boys...

Here's a name for you to add on your DE list... Ryan Russell #99 of Purdue, 6'5", 275 lbs. On top his body and athleticism, what I like most is his instinct and determination to get to the ball

MB, if you saw their game against ND, you can't miss this kid, with the plays he made, and I have only seen the first half so far.

Q2 13:43, ND QB threw a 5 yarder wide left over him. Ran back from 7 yards behind the receiver to make the tackle.
    Q2 8:55, prevented ND RB from making a play around the right corner with a spin move on Russell's teammate

Earlier in the game the announcer said, he has a 37 vertical and is projected to be close to 300 in a year or two. I prefer him to stay around 275-280 and just improve his strength and quickness

BTW...
    Riddick did not rack up a lot of stats, but I thought his catch in early Q1 was good indication he's good overall

thanks for the review. i was too far from a screen at the gym, and doing a speed workout, so i didnt see much individual play.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Good Evening Boys...

BTW...

sp,
    Thanks for the feedback... didn't get to watch the game as closely as I would've liked, but I did notice a ton of penetration (and lack of running yards for ND) by Purde... they have some legit DL talent up front, with Kawaan Short, Russell (who's only a Soph) and Bruce Gaston.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

mb, were you sweating bullets in the 4th quarter there in teh nd/purdue game, at several points a small event going in against the irish couldve turned the game....

brd,
    To be honest, I'm more confident in this team to pull out close wins than in previous years... not based on anything specific because they're only two games into the season, but I think BK is finally getting the program where he wants it (more mentally tough that the Charlie Weis teams, better in the trenches too)... and if their current 2013 recruiting class (ranked around the top 5 depending on publication) stays together, the future of the program is looking good... on the flip side, Purdue HC Danny Hope is doing a great job with that program.  ND has a big few weeks coming up... next week they're at Michigan State (Le'Veon Bell, meet Stephon Tuitt and Manti Te'o), then they have Michigan at home.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Here's my updated watchlist... new names and add dates are bold/highlighted:

OFFENSE:

QB:

*AJ McCarron- 6-4 210- Alabama *ADDED 9/9*

WR:

TJ Moe- 5-11 200- Missouri

Jamal Miles- 5-10 180- Arizona State

Tavon Austin- 5-9 175- WVU

Ryan Swope- 6-0 206- Tex A&M

Russell Shepherd- 6-0 195- LSU

Robby Toma- 5-9 185- ND

WR/RB- Theo Riddick-5-11 200 ND

*Andre Debose- 5-9 195- Florida

RB:

Rex Burkhead- 5-11 210- Nebraska

Stepfan Taylor- 5-11 210- Stanford

Ronnie Wingo- 6-2 230- Arkansas

*Le’Veon Bell- 6-2 244- Michigan State

*Spencer Ware- 5-11 225- LSU

*Michael Ford- 5-10 216- LSU

*Alfred Blue- 6-1 220- LSU

*Cierre Wood- 6-0 215- ND

*Anthony Wilkerson -6-1 220- Stanford

TE:

OL:

OT Ricky Wagner- 6-6 320- Wisconsin

OT Alex Hurst- 6-6 332- LSU

OT Xavier Nixon- 6-5 314- Florida

OT Dallas Thomas- 6-5 310- Tennessee

OT Oday Aboushi- 6-6 31- Virginia

OT John Wetzel- 6-7 300- BC

OT Tanner Hawkinson- 6-5 300- Kansas

*OT Luke Joeckel- 6-6 310- Tex A&M

*OT Taylor Lewan- 6-7 310- Michigan

*OT Chris Faulk- 6-4 323- LSU *Out for 2012 with an knee injury*

*OT DJ Fluker- 6-6 335- Alabama

OG Barrett Jones- 6-4 305- Alabama

OG Chance Warmack- 6-2 322- Alabama

OG Blaize Foltz- 6-4 310- TCU

*OG Travis Frederick- 6-4 310- Wisconsin

*OG Alvin Bailey- 6-5 315- Arkansas

*OG Gabe Jackson- 6-4 320- Miss State

*OG Josh Williford- 6-6 332- LSU

C Khaled Holmes- 6-3 305- USC

C Graham Pocic- 6-5 310- Illinois

C Braxton Cave- 6-3 305- ND

C PJ Lonergan- 6-3 305- LSU

C Dalton Freeman- 6-4 286- Clemson

C TJ Johnson- 6-5 318 South Carolina

*C Travis Swanson- 6-4 305- Arkansas

Defense:

DT:

Jesse Williams- 6-3 320- Alabama

Star Lotulelei- 6-3 320- Utah

Kawann Short- 6-3 315- Purdue

John Jenkins- 6-3 358- Georgia

*Johnathan Hankins- 6-3 320- Ohio State

*Bennie Logan- 6-3 295- LSU

DE:

Devin Taylor- 6-7 267- South Carolina

Michael Buchanan- 6-5 240- Illinois

Kapron Lewis-Moore- 6-4 306- ND

Margus Hunt- 6-7 280- SMU

Dion Jordan- 6-6 243- Oregon

John Simon- 6-2 260- Ohio State

Walter Stewart- 6-5 249- Cincinnati *ADDED 9/7*

Dan Giordano- 6-3 260- Cincinnati *ADDED 9/7*

*Sam Montgomery- 6-5 260- LSU

*Bjoern Werner- 6-4 256- FSU

*William Gholston- 6-6 278- Mich St

*Jackson Jeffcoat- 6-5 245- Texas

*James Gayle- 6-4 268- VT

ILB:

Manti Te’o- 6-2 255- ND

Shayne Skov- 6-3 242- Stanford

Nico Johnson- 6-2 245- Alabama

OLB:

Brandon Jenkins- 6-3 260- FSU

Chase Thomas- 6-4 248- Stanford

Barkevious Mingo- 6-4 240- LSU

CB:

Jordan Poyer- 5-11 190- Oregon St

*Bennett Jackson- 6-0 185- ND

S:

Robert Lester- 6-2 212- Alabama

Kenny Vaccaro- 6-1 218- Texas

TJ McDonald- 6-2 205- USC

John Boyett- 5-10 205- Oregon

Bacarri Rambo- 5-10 205- Georgia

Jordan Kovacs- 5-11 202- Michigan

Ray Ray Armstrong- 6-3 216- Miami

Drew Frey- 6-3 212- Cincinnati

Jamoris Slaughter- 6-0 200- ND

Prentiss Wagner- 6-2 184- Tenn

*Matt Elam- 5-10 202- Florida

*Craig Loston- 6-2 205- LSU

*Eric Reid- 6-2 212- LSU

*Tony Jeffrson- 5-11 212- Oklahoma

*CJ Barnett- 6-0 202- OSU

*Denotes Underclassmen

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to bredbru's comment:

brd,
    To be honest, I'm more confident in this team to pull out close wins than in previous years... not based on anything specific because they're only two games into the season, but I think BK is finally getting the program where he wants it (more mentally tough that the Charlie Weis teams, better in the trenches too)... and if their current 2013 recruiting class (ranked around the top 5 depending on publication) stays together, the future of the program is looking good... on the flip side, Purdue HC Danny Hope is doing a great job with that program.  ND has a big few weeks coming up... next week they're at Michigan State (Le'Veon Bell, meet Stephon Tuitt and Manti Te'o), then they have Michigan at home.

[/QUOTE]

" next week they're at Michigan State (Le'Veon Bell, meet Stephon Tuitt and Manti Te'o), t"

GOOD ONE. might be fun to see. specially for you nd fans :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Big game this weekend with some players where BB is almost assured to take one.

#8 Ark vs #1 Ala

I'm going to be on a plane during the game, sadly, so I'm hoping you guys can provide a good indepth analysis for me. There's a number of very strong players I'm trying to keep an eye on here:

Ala RB - Eddie Lacey
    Ark WR - Cobi Hamilton
    Ark TE - Chris Gragg (potential possession WR convert similiar to Hern)
    Ala G - Chance Warmack
    Ark T/G - Alvin Bailey
    Ala DT - Jesse Williams
    Ala OLB - C.J. Mosley
    Ala CB - DeMarcus Milliner
    Ala FS - Robert Lester

Should be a good game