***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to Faucetman's comment:

Our defense is what, the 2nd youngest in the NFL?  If we can keep Talib, I actually think we could go offense with at least 2 of our 5 picks.  What happens with Welker, Edelman, Woodhead and Vollmer in the off season could be key to what we do in the draft on the offensive side of the ball.  The Pats appear to be sitting on about $35MM in cap space heading into 2013 before any moves are made according to the below article.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1399828-new-england-patriots-salary-cap-scenario-heading-into-2013

Welker could certainly be tagged again.  The cost would be $11.4MM which is still a bargain for a guy with his production if a longer term deal cannot be found.  Re-signing Edelman should be doable and before he got hurt showed what a dangerous and versitale weapon he can be in two phases of the game.  Woodhood could be replaced by Vereen if he becomes too expensive or by Demps.

To me, Vollmer is a big ???  He is often injured and we don't have a top flight OT behind him.  Therefore, I would not be at all shocked if we went with a stud Left Tackle who can back up Solder and possibly start on the right side if we lose Vollmer.  Mankins should be back to form next year and I think Wendell has acquitted himself well this year.  Connolly is back and Nick McDonald is restricted so I don't see us going interior OL. 

Good info.

I think a lot depends on how they view Cannon moving forward, as Vollmer's backup... I do think they like Sea Bass a lot and would love to have him back, but I wouldn't rule OT out in this draft... particularly Oday Aboushi and Lane Johnson on Day 2. 

mb, no one saying we dont like him. i love him. if tehy think his back wont hinder his play or games played for his career, of course they keep him.

I don't see where I said anything about y'all not liking him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

1st round -€“ Louis Nix*, DT, Notre Dame or Bennie Logan, DT, LSU

2nd Round -€“ Trade down into an extra 3rd and 5th round picks
    3rd Round - Margus Hunt, DE, SMU (2-3 round)
    3rd round (from trade)- 
    Daniel McCullers*, DT, Tennessee

4th round (compensatory pick for BJGE and anderson) - Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU

5th round (from trade) - Graham Pocic, C, Illinois

7th round - Braden Hansen, G, BYU
    7th Round - Ron Powell*, OLB, Florida  or Jake stoneburner, TE, OSU

UDFA-Zach Boren, FB, Ohio State (also plays ILB)

Lucas Reed, TE, New Mexico

Marcus Lattimore*, RB, South Carolina

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

let me know what you guys think about my mock. I think it gives us a great combo of D line help, O-line, and DB. plus BB gets the FB he has been looking for who also plays ILB

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to natesubs's comment:

3rd round (from trade)- 

4th round (compensatory pick for BJGE and anderson) - Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU

The trade makes sense and I def see them moving down atleast once in this draft... I'd love to see Nix in Foxboro... McCullers is an intriguing cat, though he'll def need to shed some weight... but I like him as a relative project in Rd 3... Hansen/Pocic could be solid finds late in the draft... I think Boren & Lattimore get drafted... I could see Boren coming off the board as an ILB in Rd 3-4 and sometime is gonna pull the trigger on Lattimore.  I could see BB having interest in Mathieu, but prob towards the end of the draft.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

Our defense is what, the 2nd youngest in the NFL?  If we can keep Talib, I actually think we could go offense with at least 2 of our 5 picks.  What happens with Welker, Edelman, Woodhead and Vollmer in the off season could be key to what we do in the draft on the offensive side of the ball.  The Pats appear to be sitting on about $35MM in cap space heading into 2013 before any moves are made according to the below article.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1399828-new-england-patriots-salary-cap-scenario-heading-into-2013

Welker could certainly be tagged again.  The cost would be $11.4MM which is still a bargain for a guy with his production if a longer term deal cannot be found.  Re-signing Edelman should be doable and before he got hurt showed what a dangerous and versitale weapon he can be in two phases of the game.  Woodhood could be replaced by Vereen if he becomes too expensive or by Demps.

To me, Vollmer is a big ???  He is often injured and we don't have a top flight OT behind him.  Therefore, I would not be at all shocked if we went with a stud Left Tackle who can back up Solder and possibly start on the right side if we lose Vollmer.  Mankins should be back to form next year and I think Wendell has acquitted himself well this year.  Connolly is back and Nick McDonald is restricted so I don't see us going interior OL. 

Good info.

I think a lot depends on how they view Cannon moving forward, as Vollmer's backup... I do think they like Sea Bass a lot and would love to have him back, but I wouldn't rule OT out in this draft... particularly Oday Aboushi and Lane Johnson on Day 2. 

mb, no one saying we dont like him. i love him. if tehy think his back wont hinder his play or games played for his career, of course they keep him.

I don't see where I said anything about y'all not liking him.

i stand corrected then :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to natesubs's comment:

3rd round (from trade)- 

The trade makes sense and I def see them moving down atleast once in this draft... I'd love to see Nix in Foxboro... McCullers is an intriguing cat, though he'll def need to shed some weight... but I like him as a relative project in Rd 3... Hanson/Pocic could be solid finds late in the draft... I think Boren & Lattimore get drafted... I could see Boren coming off the board as an ILB in Rd 3-4 and sometime is gonna pull the trigger on Lattimore.  I could see BB having interest in Mathieu, but prob towards the end of the draft.

nate, thats a lot of a grab. main problem i see not snagging a tall outside wr who can separate.

nix coming out, isnt that a bit optimistic?

hunt ive seen ,mocked to us in rd 2. gamble for bottom of rd 3?

know nothign of pocic. what can you say? ow does he do agaisnt top talent?

i also considered lattmore after his injury. i have read soome expect him to only drop to rd 2 or 3

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

let me know what you guys think about my mock. I think it gives us a great combo of D line help, O-line, and DB. plus BB gets the FB he has been looking for who also plays ILB

i like it cept for what i mentioned (wr)

do think it's very optimistic, but likable (with the addittion of a wr).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i think BB is starting to move away from the high priced WR position, TE's are more athletic, and harder to defend.  plus if he resigns welker, endelman, we get demps/stallworth back from IR and we still have lloyd/branch/slater that makes a pretty complimentary set to go with the TE's we have in Ballard, gronk, fells, hernandez, hawamamaui?  if welker walks yes i believe we would need one.  being that we are 35 million under the cap and next season i believe we are required to spend 98% of the cap i could easily see us tag welker.  Hopefully we can bring in Byrd at Safety, let chung and vollmer walk and sign king dunlap RT eagles and Danny Amendola WR rams

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

ND NT Louis Nix III to return to school... can't say I'm upset about that!

This gives ND the best 1/2 DL punch in America next year, coupling Nix with future Top 10 prospect Stephon Tuitt.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8755033/top-notre-dame-irish-linemen-zack-martin-louis-nix-enter-draft

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

WVU WR Stedman Bailey to declare:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/17/wvus-leading-wr-will-head-to-the-nfl/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

i think BB is starting to move away from the high priced WR position, TE's are more athletic, and harder to defend.  plus if he resigns welker, endelman, we get demps/stallworth back from IR and we still have lloyd/branch/slater that makes a pretty complimentary set to go with the TE's we have in Ballard, gronk, fells, hernandez, hawamamaui?  if welker walks yes i believe we would need one.  being that we are 35 million under the cap and next season i believe we are required to spend 98% of the cap i could easily see us tag welker.  Hopefully we can bring in Byrd at Safety, let chung and vollmer walk and sign king dunlap RT eagles and Danny Amendola WR rams

i like your plan above, except for a separating outside wr. stallworth does nto hav separating speed. with a meer threat the offense will be infinitely harder to defend when healthy (not theat it is easy now, but can be stopped at times ie sb's). getting a tall quick guy, with hands even to just to run down field (with hands unlike slater), will be enough. so udfa or 7th rd.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

by the way, after yesterday, the need for a pass rusher/ o line stud highlighted  (dt need i lower a rung below now)

also an uptick in interest in a shot at lattimore and mathieu in middle rounds

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Size or for that matter, height, doesn't appear to be at a premium with BB/NC when it comes to WR's... they generally target the skill set (good combo of speed/quicks/COD/RAC ability/hands, etc.) and fit for their offense, first.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

i'm liking margus hunt in the first round more and more. if not him then one of the 1st round caliber DT's. hunt would look good across from jones though.

On the topic of DT's, check out UNC DT Sylvester Williams... he's not a name that's discussed much, but he's a big kid with very good quicks/athleticism for his size, shows power up the field, strength at the POA, the ability to handle the double and has good overall awareness... could be another kid that sneaks into the Top 50/Rd 1, etc.  I like what I've seen from him in his 2012 tape.

Hunt is a kid with definite Top 64 ability/upside (will prob get discussed as a Rd 1 kid after he has a chance to workout for teams), love the length and athleticism and BB/NC are sure to put value into his ability to impact on ST.  I'd be pretty excited to land him in that range.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Size or for that matter, height, doesn't appear to be at a premium with BB/NC when it comes to WR's... they generally target the skill set (good combo of speed/quicks/COD/RAC ability/hands, etc.) and fit for their offense, first.

i agrre they dont.

idf like to add it to the latter group.

length is a huge advantage in any pass (and makes a player a greter threat, thus opening other options much more)....and many a pass has been just long for welker, edelman, branch, woody, etc.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

i'm liking margus hunt in the first round more and more. if not him then one of the 1st round caliber DT's. hunt would look good across from jones though.

On the topic of DT's, check out UNC DT Sylvester Williams... he's not a name that's discussed much, but he's a big kid with very good quicks/athleticism for his size, shows power up the field, strength at the POA, the ability to handle the double and has good overall awareness... could be another kid that sneaks into the Top 50/Rd 1, etc.  I like what I've seen from him in his 2012 tape.

Hunt is a kid with definite Top 64 ability/upside (will prob get discussed as a Rd 1 kid after he has a chance to workout for teams), love the length and athleticism and BB/NC are sure to put value into his ability to impact on ST.  I'd be pretty excited to land him in that range.

which range mb 64 or rd 1.

i jsut began seeing him mocked in rd 1, to us in fact.

as you may have seen, ive moved top c/g and pass rusher abvoe my triumpherant that did inlcvude dt. now i have dt a notch below in priority after recent games.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

by the way, after yesterday, the need for a pass rusher/ o line stud highlighted  (dt need i lower a rung below now)

also an uptick in interest in a shot at lattimore and mathieu in middle rounds

where's nate and ramekap

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

which range mb 64 or rd 1.

i jsut began seeing him mocked in rd 1, to us in fact.

as you may have seen, ive moved top c/g and pass rusher abvoe my triumpherant that did inlcvude dt. now i have dt a notch below in priority after recent games.

At this stage I think he's a Top 64 kid that will get some Rd 1 consideration once he's able to work out for teams.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below is my updated Big 32 Board Stack... I'll also be adding to the OP:

Rd 1

DT- Jesse Williams

*S- Matt Elam

DE/OLB- Ziggy Ansah

DE/OLB- Alex Okafor

OG- Jonathan Cooper

OL- Barrett Jones

Rd 1-2

CB- Jordan Poyer

OLB/DE- Chase Thomas

S- Kenny Vaccaro

Rd 2

DT- Sylvester Williams

WR- Tavon Austin

WR- Robert Woods

DE/OLB- Margus Hunt

OT- Lane Johnson

LB- Shayne Skov

OT- Oday Aboushi

Rd 2-3

*OLB/DE- Trent Murphy

*CB- Logan Ryan

OLB/DE- Brandon Jenkins

S- Phillip Thomas

S- Robert Lester

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

DT- Daniel McCullers

Rd 3

WR- Ryan Swope

S- Zeke Motta

CB- Terry Hawthorne

CB- Micah Hyde

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore

Rd 7

WR Chad Bumphis

DL- Quinton Dial

WR TJ Moe

S- John Boyett

* Denotes Underclassmen

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

Rd 1

DT- Jesse Williams

*S- Matt Elam

DE/OLB- Ziggy Ansah

DE/OLB- Alex Okafor

OG- Jonathan Cooper

OL- Barrett Jones

Rd 1-2

CB- Jordan Poyer

OLB/DE- Chase Thomas

S- Kenny Vaccaro

Rd 2

DT- Sylvester Williams

WR- Tavon Austin

WR- Robert Woods

DE/OLB- Margus Hunt

OT- Lane Johnson

LB- Shayne Skov

OT- Oday Aboushi

Rd 2-3

*OLB/DE- Trent Murphy

*CB- Logan Ryan

OLB/DE- Brandon Jenkins

S- Phillip Thomas

S- Robert Lester

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

DT- Daniel McCullers

Rd 3

WR- Ryan Swope

S- Zeke Motta

CB- Terry Hawthorne

CB- Micah Hyde

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore

Rd 7

WR Chad Bumphis

DL- Quinton Dial

WR TJ Moe

S- John Boyett

* Denotes Underclassmen

Like the List quite a bit. I would have Tony Jefferson FS out of Oklahoma in the group of 1st round players. IMO he is the best Cover 2 Safety of the group. Clicks and closes better than  all the others from a deep position. Kenny Vaccaro is a better overall S due to his man to man coverage ability. If you havent, check out his game vs Ryan Broyles a few years back and also against Tavon Austin this year (Austin was killing it early before they put Vaccaro on him). Cant think of any NFL safeties with the ability to play man against a slot receiver and more than hold their own.

Sean Porter OLB, Texas A&M would also make a good 2nd rounder. Is comfortable in space and can cover RB and TE in man. Is also a very under rated pass rusher who would have ended up with more than 10 sacks in the SEC if they hadnt moved him from DE to 4-3 OLB. This is one of those years I wish we had a bunch of 2nd round picks. A lot of good players to be had in Day 2.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to speedster81's comment:

Rd 1

DT- Jesse Williams

*S- Matt Elam

DE/OLB- Ziggy Ansah

DE/OLB- Alex Okafor

OG- Jonathan Cooper

OL- Barrett Jones

Rd 1-2

CB- Jordan Poyer

OLB/DE- Chase Thomas

S- Kenny Vaccaro

Rd 2

DT- Sylvester Williams

WR- Tavon Austin

WR- Robert Woods

DE/OLB- Margus Hunt

OT- Lane Johnson

LB- Shayne Skov

OT- Oday Aboushi

Rd 2-3

*OLB/DE- Trent Murphy

*CB- Logan Ryan

OLB/DE- Brandon Jenkins

S- Phillip Thomas

S- Robert Lester

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

DT- Daniel McCullers

Rd 3

WR- Ryan Swope

S- Zeke Motta

CB- Terry Hawthorne

CB- Micah Hyde

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore

Rd 7

WR Chad Bumphis

DL- Quinton Dial

WR TJ Moe

S- John Boyett

* Denotes Underclassmen

Like the List quite a bit. I would have Tony Jefferson FS out of Oklahoma in the group of 1st round players. IMO he is the best Cover 2 Safety of the group. Clicks and closes better than  all the others from a deep position. Kenny Vaccaro is a better overall S due to his man to man coverage ability. If you havent, check out his game vs Ryan Broyles a few years back and also against Tavon Austin this year (Austin was killing it early before they put Vaccaro on him). Cant think of any NFL safeties with the ability to play man against a slot receiver and more than hold their own.

Sean Porter OLB, Texas A&M would also make a good 2nd rounder. Is comfortable in space and can cover RB and TE in man. Is also a very under rated pass rusher who would have ended up with more than 10 sacks in the SEC if they hadnt moved him from DE to 4-3 OLB. This is one of those years I wish we had a bunch of 2nd round picks. A lot of good players to be had in Day 2.

Thanks for the feedback, man.  I don't dislike Jefferson, just prefer Elam... kid is one of the best tackling S that I've seen on tape and has a ton of experience in slot/CB coverage duties and I think BB places a high value on hybrid types that can play zone/man as well as the deep half/third, etc. 

Porter looks like a solid player, I just don't think he fits NE's scheme at only 230 pounds.  Def projects as a very good 43 OLB though.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

pass rushers continue ot rise. nfl's future has jordan and ansah gone by pick 15.

too many mocks have us taking austin. dont like it.

glennnon qb nc state is rising to rd 1 in several top mockls already

still not seeing 4-5 i want to see go in rd 1 yet (obviously its very early)

barkley yet to rise back up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

seeing a lot of amerson safety to the pats.

been rooting for giants to miss the playoffs. just would be fun.

but now, i dont want them to get ansah so im hoping we play them in the super bowl and torch them (so they dont get a low enough pick to get a top pass rusher)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

finally a mock, nepatsdraft has pats taking ansah at 28.

would you make that move there?

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/12/2013-nfl-mock-draft-james-christensen-1218.html/2

nepats has ansah and short in first 2 rounds. if that happened and frederick in the 3rd, i could not complain.

Sections
Shortcuts