***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to speedster81's comment:

Mine is pretty short. Going strictly with who I consider Best Players Available without getting too much into team needs besides obvious positions such as QB and TE. I would be content with any 2 of these in Rounds 1 and 2.

Round 1:

Robert Woods - WR USC (Most pro ready receiver I have seen in a while)

Ziggy Ansah - DE BYU

Margus Hunt - DE SMU

Jonathan Cooper - OG UNC

Round 2:

Jesse Williams - DT Alabama

Leon McFadden - CB SDSU

Blidi Wreh-Wilson   - CB Connecticut

Logan Ryan - CB Rutgers

Sean Porter - OLB Texas A&M. (Good 4-3 Pats OLB and rusher in Sub packages)

Tony Jefferson - S Oklahoma

DJ Swearinger - SS South Carolina

Phillip Thomas - S Fresno State

Travis Frederick - OG/OC Wisconsin

Kyle Van Noy - LB BYU

Tavon Austin - WR WVU

Matt Elam - SS Florida

Thanks Speed, who are your Top 3 per round based on your lists abov or are they stacked in your order of preference?  The difficult part for me with creating a Top 32 is, there are more kids that I'm interested, but the list forces me to dive deeper into each player to compile just the players that interest me the most... of course it can change like the NE weather when more info/tape becomes available.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

So I've posted my board, I'm curious of everyone's Top 10 (or how ever many you have) offensive and defensive players for Day's 1 and 2 of the 2013 draft?

Always changing when I get more info on players but with NE picking from 26-32  in the first and 58-64 in the second, I have the following list (players I think will be still available) in those ranges irregardless of position or NE team need:

1st Rd 26-32

Xavier Rhodes Florida State CB Jordan Poyer Oregon State CB David Amerson North Carolina St CB Ezekiel Ansah Brigham Young DE43       Sharrif Floyd Florida DT43 Sylvester Williams North Carolina DT43 Jesse Williams Alabama DT34 Eric Reid LSU FS Arthur Brown Kansas State OLB43 Matt Barkley USC QB Tyler Wilson Arkansas QB Landry Jones Oklahoma QB Giovani Bernard North Carolina RBF D.J. Fluker Alabama ROT Jake Matthews Texas A&M ROT Alec Ogletree Georgia SILB Tyler Eifert Notre Dame TE DeAndre Hopkins Clemson WR Robert Woods USC WR Justin Hunter Tennessee WR

2nd round 58-64

Lane Johnson Oklahoma LOT John Simon Ohio State DE43 Cyril Richardson Baylor OG Kevin Minter LSU SILB Andre Ellington Clemson RBC Desmond Trufant Washington CB Larry Warford Kentucky OG Margus Hunt SMU DE34 Stepfan Taylor Stanford RBF Oday Aboushi Virginia ROT Aaron Dobson Marshall WRP Kawann Short Purdue DT43 Tyler Bray Tennessee QB Phillip Thomas Fresno State SS Robert Lester Alabama SS  Khaseem Greene Rutgers OLB43     /QUOTE]

Nice, any of those kids in particular that are high on your want list? in bold

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

BYU vs. San Diego St on ESPN right now... trying to focus on BYU's Ziggy Ansah (DL #47), Kyle Van Noy (LB #3) and Preston Hadley (CB #7)... SDSU's Leon McFadden (CB #2).

McFadden made a nice play on a screen attempt, closing quickly on the play to break it up.

Ansah doesn't look explosive to me, looks almost gassed and it's early in the 2nd QTR.  Hope to see him pick it up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

BYU has Ansah playing primarily on the inside... while he won't be playing there much in the NFL, it can only help to build up his tougness and ability vs. the run.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

BYU vs. San Diego St on ESPN right now... trying to focus on BYU's Ziggy Ansah (DL #47), Kyle Van Noy (LB #3) and Preston Hadley (CB #7)... SDSU's Leon McFadden (CB #2).

McFadden made a nice play on a screen attempt, closing quickly on the play to break it up.

Ansah doesn't look explosive to me, looks almost gassed and it's early in the 2nd QTR.  Hope to see him pick it up.

I could be mistaken but I think McFadden has had double digit pass break up numbers each year during his college career. Regarding my top 3 for rounds 1 and 2, I would probably say in order of preference Robert Woods, Hunt and Ansah in rounds 1. In 2, I would probably say Jesse Williams, Leon McFadden and Travis Frederick.

Im bummed that I couldnt watch the game tonight. Appreciate the updates. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I could be mistaken but I think McFadden has had double digit pass break up numbers each year during his college career. Regarding my top 3 for rounds 1 and 2, I would probably say in order of preference Robert Woods, Hunt and Ansah in rounds 1. In 2, I would probably say Jesse Williams, Leon McFadden and Travis Frederick.

Im bummed that I couldnt watch the game tonight. Appreciate the updates. 

Pretty close, double digits the last (3) seaons (12, 13, 10 from 2010-2012 respectively)... wow, that's impressive... good find, speed.  I'm gonna have to give this kid a much closer look... looks the part of a 4.4 kid that he's reported to be.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Ansah looks to have more pep in his step in the 2nd half... kids length is a huge asset, has the ability to get his hands on a lot of passes.  Would love to see him get a shot to pin his ears back and bring it off the edge...

BB was using Cunningham as an undersized speed DT this season, so it looks like Ansah could provide value there as well.

Van Noy is just very, very good football player... tone setter for their D.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

Ansah looks to have more pep in his step in the 2nd half... kids length is a huge asset, has the ability to get his hands on a lot of passes.  Would love to see him get a shot to pin his ears back and bring it off the edge...

BB was using Cunningham as an undersized speed DT this season, so it looks like Ansah could provide value there as well.

Van Noy is just very, very good football player... tone setter for their D.

Agreed on Van Noy. He would be a great addition to the Line backing core.Kid is definately a 3 down player. I might actually prefer him to Sean Porter at this point. I am hoping that we can get a backer with good coverage ability in the 3rd. SF did get Bowman a few years ago in the 3rd round after all.

Ansah would be a great LDE here in NE rotating with Ninkovich. However if it came down to him or Woods, I would probably go with Woods and then make a free agent move for Dwight Freeney. Picking woods gives you two elite offensive packages. The current 2 TE combo with Gronk and Hernandez and a really good 3 WR package with Welker, Lloyd and Woods. That kind of versatility makes the job much easier for Brady.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

i really like this years WR class. i'm hoping for one of:

terrance williams, tavon austin, robert woods, justin hunter, da'rick rodgers, stedman bailey 

for me, unless we acquire a fa at one or more of these i have to have the pass rushing de adn the c/g first, and stud dt preferably. combine priority with bbs ability to select wrs and dbs, and id go teh free agent/ 7th rouind/ udfa route for dbs and wr. i'll take a big kid who can separate with great hands late over a polished route runner earlier.

i note cbs's new mack both brugler and rang have werner at 2 this week  g-d i hoipe 5 teams reach for a qb in rd 1. 

rang goes elam to pats at 28 with jordan on teh board till 29, brugler is still going austin to pats (and that has to be the most common 1st rd pats pick ive seen in all mocks) with  ansah and cooper on the board.

both now have barrett lasting tilll the 2nd rd

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

what teams can you potentially see going for a qb in the draft (potentially)

me; kc, jax, oakland, if i were cleveland a 2nd option if wheedon doesnt pan out (hes 3rd worse qbr in league just above sanchez), bufflalo, arizona, if i were the bucs, jets are tossing sanchez and tebow, minni needs a backup plan.

if im them, im looking to get a qb, fa or draft or both. 

thoughts..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

heffsports new mock has dt richardson making it to us at 27,.

wr da' Rick rodgers in 2nd 

and s rambo in the 3rd.

thoughts mb, others?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

terrance williams, tavon austin, robert woods, justin hunter, da'rick rodgers, stedman bailey 

Austin and Woods prob profile the best for what BB/McD like to do on offense, attack teams in the short to intermediate areas while picking up additional yardage due to RAC ability.  My wish list at WR in this class on Day 1/2 would prob be:

Austin

Woods

Swope

Bailey

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

i hope this guy come's out and the pats get him in round 3-4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lT4qzh2fYI

http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/player/77/1031283/index.html

:) 

Kid is just a fr!gg!n animal, curious to see if he declares... gonna make some team very happy on draft day if he does.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

for me, unless we acquire a fa at one or more of these i have to have the pass rushing de adn the c/g first, and stud dt preferably. combine priority with bbs ability to select wrs and dbs, and id go teh free agent/ 7th rouind/ udfa route for dbs and wr. i'll take a big kid who can separate with great hands late over a polished route runner earlier.

i note cbs's new mack both brugler and rang have werner at 2 this week  g-d i hoipe 5 teams reach for a qb in rd 1. 

rang goes elam to pats at 28 with jordan on teh board till 29, brugler is still going austin to pats (and that has to be the most common 1st rd pats pick ive seen in all mocks) with  ansah and cooper on the board.

And Rang has Jordan going to SF, like they need more length/pass rush ability on the egde... yikes.  I had removed Jordan from my board on the assumption that he'll be long gone by picks 26-32... will prob keep it that way for now, but may be adding Sam Montgomery to the list as he seems to be dropping a bit in mocks.

I'd be absolutely STOKED to land Elam in Rd 1... I'm telling you, put on the tape, kid is the real deal... he's like an M134 mini gun attached to a military helicopter... locates his target then completely destroys it... hitting anything that moves... def has some Rodney in him, which I love.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

heffsports new mock has dt richardson making it to us at 27,.

wr da' Rick rodgers in 2nd 

and s rambo in the 3rd.

thoughts mb, others?

A lot of talent, but some def day 2 character questions.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

And Rang has Jordan going to SF, like they need more length/pass rush ability on the egde... yikes.  I had removed Jordan from my board on the assumption that he'll be long gone by picks 26-32... will prob keep it that way for now, but may be adding Sam Montgomery to the list as he seems to be dropping a bit in mocks.

I'd be absolutely STOKED to land Elam in Rd 1... I'm telling you, put on the tape, kid is the real deal... he's like an M134 mini gun attached to a military helicopter... locates his target then completely destroys it... hitting anything that moves... def has some Rodney in him, which I love.

so youd bypass a potential pass rush demnon for the safety. id try to get byrd or goldson in fa freeing us up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Austin and Woods prob profile the best for what BB/McD like to do on offense, attack teams in the short to intermediate areas while picking up additional yardage due to RAC ability.  My wish list at WR in this class on Day 1/2 would prob be:

Austin

Woods

Swope

Bailey

i would add a big, fast wr with hands (doesnt need route running) late. and keep our short pass cathcers we have (or get fa if need to), addding a threat that opens up the whole offense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

it's a draft with a lot of first round big boy talent on de. when are you going to get another chance to 

put someone next to wilfork / and be there when he ages?

move up in rd 1 to get jenkins, williams or whoever you like.

move from 2 to 1 to get ansah or jordan (unless you prefer hunt)

frederick in rd 3.

7th and udfa big wr (maybe small school, fcs etc) who can cathc, and run down or across the field.

fa safety, medium corner, speedy linebacker

keep or replace welker and vollmer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

it's a draft with a lot of first round big boy talent on de. when are you going to get another chance to 

frederick in rd 3.

7th and udfa big wr (maybe small school, fcs etc) who can cathc, and run down or across the field.

Really cooled off on Jenkins. Wouldnt be surprised to see him go the way of Alameda Taamu last year who was deemed as more of a space eating run stuffer and thus fell to the fourth round. Hankins is the guy I would most like with our 1st round pick but I seriously doubt he is still on the board when we pick. Of all the DT's he is the closest to Vince. Very good lateral agility, good strength, can overwhelm guards with his quickness to get into the backfield and can also anchor against the double team. Like Vince, he has also shown the ability to play all across the line.

Jesse Williams I would rather trade out of the 1st and pick him in the second as I believe there are better overall players that could be had at the end of the 1st.

Robert Woods is more than just a slot or short/intermediate area receiver. He has the speed when his ankle is healthy to burn man coverage deep and can also run all the routes. I liken his playing style to that of Reggie Wayne but Woods has better RAC ability and could even play KR/PR in your special teams. He would also be a good 1st round pick.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

I agree with you on Elam! The more I've seen of him over the season the more I like But I also like Motta who like you said is similiar to Harrison Smith who is having a great rookie year

I'm not too high on Montgomery. Seems slow off the snap. If I took a LSU DL it'd be Logan or Mingo but I think he needs more weight on him and needs to work on defending the run

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

what teams can you potentially see going for a qb in the draft (potentially)

me; kc, jax, oakland, if i were cleveland a 2nd option if wheedon doesnt pan out (hes 3rd worse qbr in league just above sanchez), bufflalo, arizona, if i were the bucs, jets are tossing sanchez and tebow, minni needs a backup plan.

if im them, im looking to get a qb, fa or draft or both. 

thoughts..

I could see 4 taken in the 1st despite that its not a great QB class. Oakland has no 1st for the Palmer trade but I could see Arizona, NY Jets, Jacksonville, Cleveland, KC, Buffalo all taking qb's in the 1st 2 days

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

frederick in rd 3.

Really cooled off on Jenkins. Wouldnt be surprised to see him go the way of Alameda Taamu last year who was deemed as more of a space eating run stuffer and thus fell to the fourth round. Hankins is the guy I would most like with our 1st round pick but I seriously doubt he is still on the board when we pick. Of all the DT's he is the closest to Vince. Very good lateral agility, good strength, can overwhelm guards with his quickness to get into the backfield and can also anchor against the double team. Like Vince, he has also shown the ability to play all across the line.

Jesse Williams I would rather trade out of the 1st and pick him in the second as I believe there are better overall players that could be had at the end of the 1st.

Robert Woods is more than just a slot or short/intermediate area receiver. He has the speed when his ankle is healthy to burn man coverage deep and can also run all the routes. I liken his playing style to that of Reggie Wayne but Woods has better RAC ability and could even play KR/PR in your special teams. He would also be a good 1st round pick.

Good stuff! Its nice to know Vrabel and Meyer are friendly with BB so he can get an inside scoop. Simon is another guy that intrigues me on the Ohio State DL

Sections
Shortcuts