***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to speedster81's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

it's a draft with a lot of first round big boy talent on de. when are you going to get another chance to 

put someone next to wilfork / and be there when he ages?

move up in rd 1 to get jenkins, williams or whoever you like.

move from 2 to 1 to get ansah or jordan (unless you prefer hunt)

frederick in rd 3.

7th and udfa big wr (maybe small school, fcs etc) who can cathc, and run down or across the field.

fa safety, medium corner, speedy linebacker

keep or replace welker and vollmer.

Really cooled off on Jenkins. Wouldnt be surprised to see him go the way of Alameda Taamu last year who was deemed as more of a space eating run stuffer and thus fell to the fourth round. Hankins is the guy I would most like with our 1st round pick but I seriously doubt he is still on the board when we pick. Of all the DT's he is the closest to Vince. Very good lateral agility, good strength, can overwhelm guards with his quickness to get into the backfield and can also anchor against the double team. Like Vince, he has also shown the ability to play all across the line.

Jesse Williams I would rather trade out of the 1st and pick him in the second as I believe there are better overall players that could be had at the end of the 1st.

Robert Woods is more than just a slot or short/intermediate area receiver. He has the speed when his ankle is healthy to burn man coverage deep and can also run all the routes. I liken his playing style to that of Reggie Wayne but Woods has better RAC ability and could even play KR/PR in your special teams. He would also be a good 1st round pick.

good stuiff spedster. were that the assesment id trade up to get hankins

or get ansah or jordan  in 1 (up if need be), williams in 2 (up if need be) and frederick in 3.

howeva, he may have to fall a little to be reachable. what is he a 6-15 pick in most mocks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

what teams can you potentially see going for a qb in the draft (potentially)

me; kc, jax, oakland, if i were cleveland a 2nd option if wheedon doesnt pan out (hes 3rd worse qbr in league just above sanchez), bufflalo, arizona, if i were the bucs, jets are tossing sanchez and tebow, minni needs a backup plan.

if im them, im looking to get a qb, fa or draft or both. 

thoughts..

I could see 4 taken in the 1st despite that its not a great QB class. Oakland has no 1st for the Palmer trade but I could see Arizona, NY Jets, Jacksonville, Cleveland, KC, Buffalo all taking qb's in the 1st 2 days

my ubderstanding oakland still has thier first (did they trade thier 2nd?)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to ricky12684's comment:

i really like this years WR class. i'm hoping for one of:

terrance williams, tavon austin, robert woods, justin hunter, da'rick rodgers, stedman bailey 

for me, unless we acquire a fa at one or more of these i have to have the pass rushing de adn the c/g first, and stud dt preferably. combine priority with bbs ability to select wrs and dbs, and id go teh free agent/ 7th rouind/ udfa route for dbs and wr. i'll take a big kid who can separate with great hands late over a polished route runner earlier.

i note cbs's new mack both brugler and rang have werner at 2 this week  g-d i hoipe 5 teams reach for a qb in rd 1. 

rang goes elam to pats at 28 with jordan on teh board till 29, brugler is still going austin to pats (and that has to be the most common 1st rd pats pick ive seen in all mocks) with  ansah and cooper on the board.

both now have barrett lasting tilll the 2nd rd

And Rang has Jordan going to SF, like they need more length/pass rush ability on the egde... yikes.  I had removed Jordan from my board on the assumption that he'll be long gone by picks 26-32... will prob keep it that way for now, but may be adding Sam Montgomery to the list as he seems to be dropping a bit in mocks.

I'd be absolutely STOKED to land Elam in Rd 1... I'm telling you, put on the tape, kid is the real deal... he's like an M134 mini gun attached to a military helicopter... locates his target then completely destroys it... hitting anything that moves... def has some Rodney in him, which I love.

so youd bypass a potential pass rush demnon for the safety. id try to get byrd or goldson in fa freeing us up.

There prob isn't a person on this thread higher on Jordan than I am, kid popped the first time I saw him on film... just a long, athletic freak that plays his asse off.

I was commenting more on how the board fell... If BB/NC passed on Jordan for Elam, I can the reasoning behind it and it's not like they wouldn't be getting a hell of a football player and tone setter on D.

If they can lock up a veteran S in FA, then I think they address front 7 or OL... personally, I still think Jesse Williams is the pick if he's still on the board.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

terrance williams, tavon austin, robert woods, justin hunter, da'rick rodgers, stedman bailey 

for me, unless we acquire a fa at one or more of these i have to have the pass rushing de adn the c/g first, and stud dt preferably. combine priority with bbs ability to select wrs and dbs, and id go teh free agent/ 7th rouind/ udfa route for dbs and wr. i'll take a big kid who can separate with great hands late over a polished route runner earlier.

i note cbs's new mack both brugler and rang have werner at 2 this week  g-d i hoipe 5 teams reach for a qb in rd 1. 

rang goes elam to pats at 28 with jordan on teh board till 29, brugler is still going austin to pats (and that has to be the most common 1st rd pats pick ive seen in all mocks) with  ansah and cooper on the board.

And Rang has Jordan going to SF, like they need more length/pass rush ability on the egde... yikes.  I had removed Jordan from my board on the assumption that he'll be long gone by picks 26-32... will prob keep it that way for now, but may be adding Sam Montgomery to the list as he seems to be dropping a bit in mocks.

I'd be absolutely STOKED to land Elam in Rd 1... I'm telling you, put on the tape, kid is the real deal... he's like an M134 mini gun attached to a military helicopter... locates his target then completely destroys it... hitting anything that moves... def has some Rodney in him, which I love.

I agree with you on Elam! The more I've seen of him over the season the more I like But I also like Motta who like you said is similiar to Harrison Smith who is having a great rookie year

I'm not too high on Montgomery. Seems slow off the snap. If I took a LSU DL it'd be Logan or Mingo but I think he needs more weight on him and needs to work on defending the run

Motta is def a Harrison Smith Lite... not the 1st round caliber kid, but a player with elite size, adequate speed and quicks that tackles well and will try and knock you out... solid late Day 2, early Day 3 type kid.  Humble, relatively quiet kid off the field... wants to be remembered as a “A beast on the field and a gentleman off it.” by ND fans.

I see what you're saying on Montgomery, had mentioned last year when he was a draft eligible Soph, that he had sort of a strange, elongated stance, where his torso was almost parallel to the ground.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

so youd bypass a potential pass rush demnon for the safety. id try to get byrd or goldson in fa freeing us up.

There prob isn't a person on this thread higher on Jordan than I am, kid popped the first time I saw him on film... just a long, athletic freak that plays his asse off.

I was commenting more on how the board fell... If BB/NC passed on Jordan for Elam, I can the reasoning behind it and it's not like they wouldn't be getting a hell of a football player and tone setter on D.

If they can lock up a veteran S in FA, then I think they address front 7 or OL... personally, I still think Jesse Williams is the pick if he's still on the board.

thanks for clarifying

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

thanks for clarifying

What does your board lookd like, Bred?  who are your Top 5 Rd 1 and Rd 2 options in order of want/preference?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Austin and Woods prob profile the best for what BB/McD like to do on offense, attack teams in the short to intermediate areas while picking up additional yardage due to RAC ability.  My wish list at WR in this class on Day 1/2 would prob be:

Austin

Woods

Swope

Bailey

i would add a big, fast wr with hands (doesnt need route running) late. and keep our short pass cathcers we have (or get fa if need to), addding a threat that opens up the whole offense.

Problem is, a kid that can't run routes will never sniff the field in this offense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

thanks for clarifying

What does your board lookd like, Bred?  who are your Top 5 Rd 1 and Rd 2 options in order of want/preference?

thats been formulating in my head. may have  a preliminary soon. but will need to see more video and may change.

till then, thoughts this morning are that

it seems like the optimistic AND  practical possibility would BE:

RD 1 WILLIAMS

RD 2 HUNT

RD 3 FREDERICK

RD 7 OUTSIDE WR

maybe too optimistic:

jordan/ansah in 1 (rade higher in 1)

williams in 2 (trade higher in 2)

frederick in 3

fantasyland:

hankerson 1 (tradeup)

ansah/jordan  1-2 (tradeup)

frederick 3

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Austin and Woods prob profile the best for what BB/McD like to do on offense, attack teams in the short to intermediate areas while picking up additional yardage due to RAC ability.  My wish list at WR in this class on Day 1/2 would prob be:

Austin

Woods

Swope

Bailey

i would add a big, fast wr with hands (doesnt need route running) late. and keep our short pass cathcers we have (or get fa if need to), addding a threat that opens up the whole offense.

Problem is, a kid that can't run routes will never sniff the field in this offense.

victor cruz was this player out of college

and wallace as well.

i disagree. if slater had great hands and caught anything within 15  yards, i think theyd send him down the field (and slanting across) more often.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

In response to natesubs' comment:

let me know what you guys think about my mock. I think it gives us a great combo of D line help, O-line, and DB. plus BB gets the FB he has been looking for who also plays ILB

i like it cept for what i mentioned (wr)

do think it's very optimistic, but likable (with the addittion of a wr).

i think BB is starting to move away from the high priced WR position, TE's are more athletic, and harder to defend.  plus if he resigns welker, endelman, we get demps/stallworth back from IR and we still have lloyd/branch/slater that makes a pretty complimentary set to go with the TE's we have in Ballard, gronk, fells, hernandez, hawamamaui?  if welker walks yes i believe we would need one.  being that we are 35 million under the cap and next season i believe we are required to spend 98% of the cap i could easily see us tag welker.  Hopefully we can bring in Byrd at Safety, let chung and vollmer walk and sign king dunlap RT eagles and Danny Amendola WR rams

I don't see Stallworth back next year.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Austin

Woods

Swope

Bailey

and wallace as well.

i disagree. if slater had great hands and caught anything within 15  yards, i think theyd send him down the field (and slanting across) more often.

I'm not against targeting a size/speed type late in the draft, but WR's are not gonna see the field in the NE offense if they can't run routes... perform within their scheme.  Slater doesn't see the field much as a WR, because he's not a good WR.

I haven't been able to find a scouting report that questioned Victor Cruz's route running coming out of Umass, also haven't heard it listed as a weakness during his years with the Giants... if anything it's listed as a strength... he's also not the big WR that you're referencing.

Mike Wallace wasn't the late rounder that you're referencing either, he was drafted in Rd 3 by Pittsburgh... one pick after NE selected Brandon Tate.  Scouts Inc lists him as an improved route runner... he's not a big receiver either.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

i don't see welker coming back. this offense has too many weapons and at 31 years old the value just isn't there for what he will be demanding. i'd really like to see robert woods or tavon austin take his spot next season and add some home run speed to that slot position. the emergence of edelmen this season has really made this an easy decision. edelman and lloyd on the outside, woods/austin at the slot.

Edelman has flashed some ability this season, but he's been an inconsistent player during his time in NE and has durability questions... not exactly somebody that I'm banking on long term at this point.

I'd like to see Welker brought back, at the very least under another Franchise Tag... if not, Amendola remains the best possible fit, IMO, but he too has durability issues.

I'm also a fan of both Austin and Woods but hope to see them target other players first in Rd 1.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

i don't see welker coming back. this offense has too many weapons and at 31 years old the value just isn't there for what he will be demanding. i'd really like to see robert woods or tavon austin take his spot next season and add some home run speed to that slot position. the emergence of edelmen this season has really made this an easy decision. edelman and lloyd on the outside, woods/austin at the slot.

Edelman has flashed some ability this season, but he's been an inconsistent player during his time in NE and has durability questions... not exactly somebody that I'm banking on long term at this point.

I'd like to see Welker brought back, at the very least under another Franchise Tag... if not, Amendola remains the best possible fit, IMO, but he too has durability issues.

I'm also a fan of both Austin and Woods but hope to see them target other players first in Rd 1.

I too would like to see Welker back. Letting him go would really set this offense back a ways. Most teams hardly play him one on one but instead choose to bracket him with a line backer and a slot cb thus opening up a one on one opportunity for either Hernandez, Branch or Gronk. If he leaves, you will see more teams playing Edelman or whatever Rookie you put in there straight up until said player proves he can consistently beat man coverage which isnt easy.

Im hoping they employ there double draft strategy with the WR position this year after they picked 2RB in 2011 and 2TE in 2010. With a pretty good WR class in 2013 they could get away with picking a quality 2nd WR on day 3. A guy like Ryan Swope, Cobi Hamilton, Markus Davis, Kenny Stills, Marquess Wilson would be good options in later rounds. Im still holding out hope for Robert Woods in the 1st or early 2nd. Not sure why he is being characterised as just a slot guy. He can do it all. He runs the entire route tree and has enough speed and route running savvy to open up the entire field for the QB.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

does NE have enough cap room going into next season to sign wes, vollmer, talib, woodhead, edelman and say osi umenyiora?

I think it was faucet that had posted this, but below is a link to an article that mentions them being potentially $35M below the cap in 2013.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1399828-new-england-patriots-salary-cap-scenario-heading-into-2013

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I too would like to see Welker back. Letting him go would really set this offense back a ways. Most teams hardly play him one on one but instead choose to bracket him with a line backer and a slot cb thus opening up a one on one opportunity for either Hernandez, Branch or Gronk. If he leaves, you will see more teams playing Edelman or whatever Rookie you put in there straight up until said player proves he can consistently beat man coverage which isnt easy.

Im hoping they employ there double draft strategy with the WR position this year after they picked 2RB in 2011 and 2TE in 2010. With a pretty good WR class in 2013 they could get away with picking a quality 2nd WR on day 3. A guy like Ryan Swope, Cobi Hamilton, Markus Davis, Kenny Stills, Marquess Wilson would be good options in later rounds. Im still holding out hope for Robert Woods in the 1st or early 2nd. Not sure why he is being characterised as just a slot guy. He can do it all. He runs the entire route tree and has enough speed and route running savvy to open up the entire field for the QB.

Well said on the top piece.

I'm not a huge fan of this WR class overall, but there is some talent.  Swope should be off the board on Day 2 and remains, atleast IMO, as the most likely to land in NE, based on his skill set and where he should be available (though Austin/Woods remain tops on my board at the position).  Ideal scenario for me is landing DB/front 7/OL in Rd 1, then target a WR on day 2.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Hey MB...

Digressing here a little bit, but I wanted to give you a heads up on a couple of kids who I think should be on your watch for 2014. I am watching the Maaco Bowl on the DVR while waiting for the morning games, and noticed a couple of them on the losing team - U of Washington

TE - Austin Sefarian-Jenkins. He's 6-6, 266. He looks really slim at that weight. Will probably play 270-275 if he plays in the NFL. I have only seen the first quarter, but I can tell he's pretty disciplined when assigned to block. Could push a little bit more on the block. Receiveing, he's had one catch. This one will probably go in the early rounds - especially if he can show he can be dynamic on offense (i.e., catch in stride).

DT - Danny Shelton (6-3, 317). Quick off the snap. I am in the second quarter now. I don't think he has registered a sack yet on this game, but man, he's moving double teams and even triple teams back to the Boise St QB. Earlier I saw him get off a one-one-one block to tackle the RB going to his left. Very high effot kind of guy. I like this guy more than I liked Taamu last year. May end up being a really good value pick.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Well said on the top piece.

I'm not a huge fan of this WR class overall, but there is some talent.  Swope should be off the board on Day 2 and remains, atleast IMO, as the most likely to land in NE, based on his skill set and where he should be available (though Austin/Woods remain tops on my board at the position).  Ideal scenario for me is landing DB/front 7/OL in Rd 1, then target a WR on day 2.

I hvae just seen one Texas A&M so far (vs Alabama) and would not mind Swope in NWE as a second day pick. He showed on that game he can be a very versatile receiver.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Hey MB...

Digressing here a little bit, but I wanted to give you a heads up on a couple of kids who I think should be on your watch for 2014. I am watching the Maaco Bowl on the DVR while waiting for the morning games, and noticed a couple of them on the losing team - U of Washington

TE - Austin Sefarian-Jenkins. He's 6-6, 266. He looks really slim at that weight. Will probably play 270-275 if he plays in the NFL. I have only seen the first quarter, but I can tell he's pretty disciplined when assigned to block. Could push a little bit more on the block. Receiveing, he's had one catch. This one will probably go in the early rounds - especially if he can show he can be dynamic on offense (i.e., catch in stride).

DT - Danny Shelton (6-3, 317). Quick off the snap. I am in the second quarter now. I don't think he has registered a sack yet on this game, but man, he's moving double teams and even triple teams back to the Boise St QB. Earlier I saw him get off a one-one-one block to tackle the RB going to his left. Very high effot kind of guy. I like this guy more than I liked Taamu last year. May end up being a really good value pick.

Both of these guys look interesting, thanks for the heads up. I will do more researchon them and report.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Hey MB...

Both of these guys look interesting, thanks for the heads up. I will do more researchon them and report.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Austin

Woods

Swope

Bailey

and wallace as well.

I'm not against targeting a size/speed type late in the draft, but WR's are not gonna see the field in the NE offense if they can't run routes... perform within their scheme.  Slater doesn't see the field much as a WR, because he's not a good WR.

I haven't been able to find a scouting report that questioned Victor Cruz's route running coming out of Umass, also haven't heard it listed as a weakness during his years with the Giants... if anything it's listed as a strength... he's also not the big WR that you're referencing.

Mike Wallace wasn't the late rounder that you're referencing either, he was drafted in Rd 3 by Pittsburgh... one pick after NE selected Brandon Tate.  Scouts Inc lists him as an improved route runner... he's not a big receiver either.

cruz was a one trick pony who couldnt run routes

wallace didnt copare on the round picked  was referring to 2 guys who only could run down field when drafted.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

does NE have enough cap room going into next season to sign wes, vollmer, talib, woodhead, edelman and say osi umenyiora?

35 mil i believe

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BILLB50. Show BILLB50's posts

Jordan Poyer of Oregon St. does any one have info or youtube video on him.Heard could be

day 2 pick.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to BILLB50's comment:

Jordan Poyer of Oregon St. does any one have info or youtube video on him.Heard could be

day 2 pick.

I love Poyer... top CB on my board (assuming Milliner is well out of range)... Top 50 kid with Rd 1 upside. 

Sections
Shortcuts