***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow, another TE... I remember us discussing Hoomanawanui back in the 2010 class that landed Gronk/Hern, remember we had discussed NE taking Gronk/Hern early, then Hoomanawanui late... as a blocking TE... which is what had excelled at.

If NE is looking for another young TE, this could be the class... it's stacked with size and legit talent (likely the most talent potential that I can ever remember for a TE class) with Eifert being a legit flex/matchup nightmare option in the mold of Gronk... kid can play anywhere on the field... was used down by the goal line on sat on the simple corner route/jump ball... they actually ran the same play twice in a row and the DB could do nothing about it.

Jake Stoneburner- 6-5 240- Ohio State

Joseph Fauria- 6-7 252- UCLA

Philip Lutzenkirchen- 6-4 250- Auburn

Michael Williams- 6-5 272- Alabama

Ben Cotton- 6-6 255- Nebraska

*Tyler Eifert- 6-5 250- ND

*CJ Fiedorowicz- 6-6 265- Iowa

*Levine Toilolo- 6-7 263- Stanford

*Zach Ertz- 6-6 250- Stanford

[/QUOTE]

havent seen much cf so hadnt logged on the thread... didn tknow you had such good copnvos going already... and right in my comfort zone.

[/QUOTE]

I would fall out of my chair if some how the Pats drafted C.J. Fiedorowicz, he will be the best TE in the country if Iowa can get their O going.  He's a beast.

On another note, have you guys seen Dallas Thomas from Tenn?  He was a LT that moved inside (LG) for his senior season.  He doesn't project to be a LT in the pros but he's a hell of an OG and should be able to play RT.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Here's my I want to have list:

Dee Milliner CB Alabama SEC 6'1" 200 lbs ok I'm awake now, there's no chance in God's green earth the Pats have any chance at Milliner but he's on my wish list.

Xavier Rhodes CB Florida State ACC 6'1" 217 lbs I don't know if this guy is a CB/S/LB or all three.  He has #1 CB skils, S body and hits like a LB.  If he's available for Pats I think long and hard not drafting a CB like this. 

Jesse Williams DT Alabama SEC 6'3" 320 lbs I don't think the Pats get a chance at him, could end up as a top 10 pick but this guy is still raw.  He could be the future VW.

John Jenkins DT UGA SEC 6'3" 358 lbs If the Chiefs drafted Poe #11 overall Jenkins IMO is a much better player so he could be going in the same area of next years draft.  I don't think he'll run Poe's 40 time but Jenkins can actually play football.  

C.J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa Big10 6'6" 265 lbs I can't even imagine how Ds will defend with this guy added to the Gronk/Hern show.  Fied is big, fast and great body control.  He's a combination of Gronk and Hern.

I'll keep adding to my must haves as unrealistic as they all are.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

hey what happened to this being a stickey?
    we dont need that giants game thread at top.

after week 1, 
    my top 3 need of cb (along with o line and d tackle) goes to the top.

to beat elite qb's/wr duos i think we need very good cbs. i think ours are subpar.

thing is i dont much trust bb/draft team to deliver an eltie cb (as they have proven for a while they cant do it. therefore i suggest we get one in fa. even if it is 8-10 mil a year (and i wished wed gotten finnegan last year).

knowing bb likes to ride his loyal, smart, dilligent guys, im afraid he may stay with the cbs i feel he  overrates. dmc our #1 corner?, arrington #2?  i would actually prefer 2 starting quality, excellent cbs ahead of them to be confident in our d against top teasm come playoffs when its one and done.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:

Here's my I want to have list:

Dee Milliner CB Alabama SEC 6'1" 200 lbs ok I'm awake now, there's no chance in God's green earth the Pats have any chance at Milliner but he's on my wish list.

Xavier Rhodes CB Florida State ACC 6'1" 217 lbs I don't know if this guy is a CB/S/LB or all three.  He has #1 CB skils, S body and hits like a LB.  If he's available for Pats I think long and hard not drafting a CB like this. 

Jesse Williams DT Alabama SEC 6'3" 320 lbs I don't think the Pats get a chance at him, could end up as a top 10 pick but this guy is still raw.  He could be the future VW.

John Jenkins DT UGA SEC 6'3" 358 lbs If the Chiefs drafted Poe #11 overall Jenkins IMO is a much better player so he could be going in the same area of next years draft.  I don't think he'll run Poe's 40 time but Jenkins can actually play football.  

C.J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa Big10 6'6" 265 lbs I can't even imagine how Ds will defend with this guy added to the Gronk/Hern show.  Fied is big, fast and great body control.  He's a combination of Gronk and Hern.

I'll keep adding to my must haves as unrealistic as they all are.

" He has #1 CB skils, S body and hits like a LB."

sounds like my kinda guy.

more  later when time permits

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wow, another TE... I remember us discussing Hoomanawanui back in the 2010 class that landed Gronk/Hern, remember we had discussed NE taking Gronk/Hern early, then Hoomanawanui late... as a blocking TE... which is what had excelled at.

If NE is looking for another young TE, this could be the class... it's stacked with size and legit talent (likely the most talent potential that I can ever remember for a TE class) with Eifert being a legit flex/matchup nightmare option in the mold of Gronk... kid can play anywhere on the field... was used down by the goal line on sat on the simple corner route/jump ball... they actually ran the same play twice in a row and the DB could do nothing about it.

[/QUOTE]

havent seen much cf so hadnt logged on the thread... didn tknow you had such good copnvos going already... and right in my comfort zone.

[/QUOTE]

I would fall out of my chair if some how the Pats drafted C.J. Fiedorowicz, he will be the best TE in the country if Iowa can get their O going.  He's a beast.

On another note, have you guys seen Dallas Thomas from Tenn?  He was a LT that moved inside (LG) for his senior season.  He doesn't project to be a LT in the pros but he's a hell of an OG and should be able to play RT.  

[/QUOTE]

re:
    " I would fall out of my chair if some how the Pats drafted C.J. Fiedorowicz, he will be the best TE in the country if Iowa can get their O going.  He's a beast. "

the knind of post...and thinking i like to see :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

and no i have not seen iowa play in i dont know how long
    :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Big game this weekend with some players where BB is almost assured to take one.

#8 Ark vs #1 Ala

I'm going to be on a plane during the game, sadly, so I'm hoping you guys can provide a good indepth analysis for me. There's a number of very strong players I'm trying to keep an eye on here:

Ala RB - Eddie Lacey
    Ark WR - Cobi Hamilton
    Ark TE - Chris Gragg (potential possession WR convert similiar to Hern)
    Ala G - Chance Warmack
    Ark T/G - Alvin Bailey
    Ala DT - Jesse Williams
    Ala OLB - C.J. Mosley
    Ala CB - DeMarcus Milliner
    Ala FS - Robert Lester

Should be a good game

" Should be a good game

except now ark is unranked.
    a coach makes a big diff.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

incidentally how bout some more frquent posts. it will keep people coming back here adn build on itself.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Any of you guys watched Georgia vs Mizzu?  I don't think a LB will be drafted but if you have a chance to watch Jarvis Jones you won't be dissapointed plays all over UGA's D but listed as OLB 6'3" 250lbs.  Guy is a beast, he can drop in coverage, pass rush, set the edge can do it all.  
    If you follow college football you'll hear his name.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this beast but Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah OLB/DE BYU he's already getting compared to JPP.  He's a raw player, only playing football for his 2nd year.  Converted track star that's learning the game but raw talent he's a beast.  He's said to be able to run a 4.3 40 at 6'6" 270 lbs.

A guy like this on the other side of Jones could be huge. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this beast but Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah OLB/DE BYU he's already getting compared to JPP.  He's a raw player, only playing football for his 2nd year.  Converted track star that's learning the game but raw talent he's a beast.  He's said to be able to run a 4.3 40 at 6'6" 270 lbs.

This is true but where we might be drafting and if this kid is being compared to JPP where he'll be drafted we won't have a shot at him, unless Welker gets traded for a 1st before the deadline and the team we trade to flops but I don't see that happening

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Thanks, hope to get a look at him when ND plays BYU.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm still partial to Tyler Eifert... not sure there's a better pure WR TE/Flex type in America, but I do like CJ's size and program pedigree... hope to get a look at him at some point.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Great to have the draft thread back. Again the O and D Line is still foremost on my mind. The Pats LB corps looks great so far. Do the Pats have a shot at Jesse Williams?

Appreciate all the work (viewing) that MB and PatsEng and others do.

Mike

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

Great to have the draft thread back. Again the O and D Line is still foremost on my mind. The Pats LB corps looks great so far. Do the Pats have a shot at Jesse Williams?

Mike

For the time being that's foremost on everyone's mind here.

Obviously both Love and Nink can be upgraded. Cunningham has a shot to fill the latter role but I'm still hesitant to say he's anything more then a role player. Personally my 1st round choice would either be a top 3 DT/NT type to put next to Wilfork or a bookend DE to have across from Jones. Imo that would really set that Pats D up to carry the load moving into Brady's retirement years and for the next upcoming QB. Having a vet dominant D to me is more important to a new QB then having a pro-bowl OL

For the OL I really want a new RG (Cannon might or might not be that guy), more depth at T (depending if Vollmer stays healthy and Solder can pull it together), and to look at C's. All of the above though I don't think we need to go early. You can get a good depth T in the 3rd-5th range and a top end starting RG in the 2nd. C's can come from anywhere but BB seems to have the most luck in grabbing a raw but moldable smart C later in the draft or UDFA.

TE seems to be locked up with Gronk, Ballard, and Fells moving forward but they could always get more. Hern I see as a jack of all trades and replacing Welker next year. We already started to see that in the Titans game

WR seems like an area that could use bodies and youth

RB looks good today with Ridley but that's thin. Vereen is made of glass, Woodhead is nice as a change of pace but you don't want him starting, Demps could be the future but another one with a injury history, and Bolden looks like an average #3/4 RB to me. I think they need a big FB with decent speed who can get tough yards, block, or catch a pass. A real smash mouth player

LB looks good for starters but no one would complain if you can find an upgrade to the JAG LB's on the team

CB we'll have to wait and see as Ras, McCourty, and Dennard have the talent to be a shut down core but will they live up to it. McCourty showed signs of being closer to 10' then 11' in the Titans game but we have to hold our breath. Also don't forget Arrington is going to be looking for starting level money this offseason and I don't think BB will give a fringe starter more then he's worth which some team will. I think Arrington is gone next year and you can't blame him for going for the money

S Wilson looks much better then his draft grade suggested and Ebner is learning but was making heads up big plays in preseason. Chung is a question mark with his contract up in the area and Gregory looked good then not so good at times. I still think they need a ball hawking FS/CB type (ala Reed) but I wouldn't call it a priority if Wilson and Ebner continue to develop. Who knows they might already have that player (Dennard/Ras)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Mike

Glad to be back at it!

At this point, I think they do have a shot at Williams, yes.  Big kid, excellent size with elite upper body strength (600 pound bench presser); I also like his movement ability and strength at the POA... I did notice that he comes off the field at times on 3rd down... likely for Bama to get more pure passrushers on the field, but I think he profiles extremely well as a 2-gap player.  Will be interesting to follow him throughout the season and I'd project him as atleast a day 2 kid at this point, with Rd 1 upside (players with versatility and 34 NT potential are generally at a premium).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Homecheese's comment:

Nothing like starting the day with a corned beef omelet and a Guinness and the game coming on haha

I could really get used to 9 AM college football... I was up at 6:36... felt like a kid on Christmas morning, ha.  GO IRISH!

[/QUOTE]

I agree, I would love a good matchup every saturday morning to start the day! ND has alot of good players I'm watching this year

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mbeaulieu07 comment:
    [QUOTE]

So, some good games this weekend. We learned that Michigan is not anywhere even closed to hype but Ala is. Keep your eyes on the Alam players. Williams, Lester, Lacy looked pretty good. Lacy could be an interesting prospect if we are looking for a larger RB. He's average speed which I think could lend to him being able to gain another 10lbs and be a wrecking ball at 6'0" 230lbs.

Anyone else notice any interesting prospects from this weekends games

Bama's Dee Millineris the kid that caught my eye this weekend, not that CB is a #1 need, but this kid is legit, great size (6-1 200)/speed combo, actually turns his head in coverage, locates the ball well and has good ball skills... also plays a physical brand of football, I like him a lot.

[/QUOTE]

That's huge right there. If a CB in college knows to turn his head and can still make a play then he is legit. To many CB's now a days never turn their heads to make the play. It's a lost art that few can do well

[/QUOTE]

I was impressed with how fluid he is and has great awareness. I think he could be better then Kirkpatrick

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

Mike

For the time being that's foremost on everyone's mind here.

Obviously both Love and Nink can be upgraded. Cunningham has a shot to fill the latter role but I'm still hesitant to say he's anything more then a role player. Personally my 1st round choice would either be a top 3 DT/NT type to put next to Wilfork or a bookend DE to have across from Jones. Imo that would really set that Pats D up to carry the load moving into Brady's retirement years and for the next upcoming QB. Having a vet dominant D to me is more important to a new QB then having a pro-bowl OL

For the OL I really want a new RG (Cannon might or might not be that guy), more depth at T (depending if Vollmer stays healthy and Solder can pull it together), and to look at C's. All of the above though I don't think we need to go early. You can get a good depth T in the 3rd-5th range and a top end starting RG in the 2nd. C's can come from anywhere but BB seems to have the most luck in grabbing a raw but moldable smart C later in the draft or UDFA.

TE seems to be locked up with Gronk, Ballard, and Fells moving forward but they could always get more. Hern I see as a jack of all trades and replacing Welker next year. We already started to see that in the Titans game

WR seems like an area that could use bodies and youth

RB looks good today with Ridley but that's thin. Vereen is made of glass, Woodhead is nice as a change of pace but you don't want him starting, Demps could be the future but another one with a injury history, and Bolden looks like an average #3/4 RB to me. I think they need a big FB with decent speed who can get tough yards, block, or catch a pass. A real smash mouth player

LB looks good for starters but no one would complain if you can find an upgrade to the JAG LB's on the team

CB we'll have to wait and see as Ras, McCourty, and Dennard have the talent to be a shut down core but will they live up to it. McCourty showed signs of being closer to 10' then 11' in the Titans game but we have to hold our breath. Also don't forget Arrington is going to be looking for starting level money this offseason and I don't think BB will give a fringe starter more then he's worth which some team will. I think Arrington is gone next year and you can't blame him for going for the money

S Wilson looks much better then his draft grade suggested and Ebner is learning but was making heads up big plays in preseason. Chung is a question mark with his contract up in the area and Gregory looked good then not so good at times. I still think they need a ball hawking FS/CB type (ala Reed) but I wouldn't call it a priority if Wilson and Ebner continue to develop. Who knows they might already have that player (Dennard/Ras)

[/QUOTE]

im good with most of this if we get a good cb in fa

and 
    differing with mccourty as having shutdown "core"
    ras has regressed
    and dennard "shutdown core", i dont know that he has shown that potential.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOD. Show FOD's posts

GREAT TO BE BACK.  HELLO TO ALL.  IT SURE DOES'NT LOOK LIKE THE PATS ARE GOING TO BE DRAFTING VERY EARLY.  I LIKE THE IDEA OF MAYBE TRADING WELKER FOR A #1.  DONT KNOW IF ITS POSSIBLE.  ANY THOUGHTS

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

We aren't going to be trading Welker for a first. 

No team would trade a 1st for a guy during the season not to mention the amount of teams who could is extremely limited because they couldn't fit Welkers 10mil cap hit right now

Welkers tag runs up at the end of the season which means they couldn't trade him at the end of the season unless the tag him again. If he gets tagged a second time his 1 year tag will be in the 12mil range I believe. No team is going to pay a 1st and $12mil plus whatever it would take to sign Welker for a 31 year old slot receiver

It looks like the Pats plan to work Edelman and Hern in to eventually take over Welkers reps long term which means Welkers numbers are going to take a serious hit this year. It's rare teams trade a 1st for a player but it's almost next to impossible to convience a team to trade a 1st for an aging player who's numbers dipped from his trend

I like the enthusiasm but trading Welker for a 1st is not a realistic thought

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The longer Vereen is hurt and the more I see Randall Cobb becoming a focal point of the GB offense, while also impacting in the return game... the more pissed I become that they passed on Cobb for Vereen... and I was someone who was high on Vereen in 2011.

I mean, how good would this kid look in NE's offense as a player that can be moved all over the place, outside/slot/backfield, etc... while also giving them that much needed return potential.  Just a perfect Patriot type kid.

The overall point is moot, but I felt like venting.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

It's almost time to remove Ray Ray from my watchlist...

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/11/ray-ray-armstrong-denied-eligibility-by-naia/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

The longer Vereen is hurt and the more I see Randall Cobb becoming a focal point of the GB offense, while also impacting in the return game... the more pissed I become that they passed on Cobb for Vereen... and I was someone who was high on Vereen in 2011.

I mean, how good would this kid look in NE's offense as a player that can be moved all over the place, outside/slot/backfield, etc... while also giving them that much needed return potential.  Just a perfect Patriot type kid.

The overall point is moot, but I felt like venting.

[/QUOTE]

im glad you did.

cobb is scary

liked him too 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

mb that's exactly what I thought when I saw NFL network displaying all the things Cobb was doing for GB.  Knew you were going to be upset, looks like a faster better woody.  Maybe next year Demps becomes Cobb for us but tough to watch another of the boards picks do well.

Man imagine if we had our own team and we were making the decisions on players to draft!  I don't think we miss much, we might even have a good record calling who's going to be a bust.