***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Cooper is an opgrade to the starting lline up then the question does not even need to be asked. 

[/QUOTE]

IMO, kid is a year one starter on atleast the right side (assuming Mankins is here, but could easily start on the left side as well) and could be the long term replacement for LM.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If Cooper is an opgrade to the starting lline up then the question does not even need to be asked. 

[/QUOTE]

IMO, kid is a year one starter on atleast the right side (assuming Mankins is here, but could easily start on the left side as well) and could be the long term replacement for LM.

[/QUOTE]

I want an upgrade over Mankins. This past few games, they have been giving up QB pressure inside. 

I don't have any recordings of UNC, so I really can't comment knowledgeably. That said, at 310 lbs, I do have questions about Cooper's ability to run block against the bigger DLines in he NFL. 

I am not saying weight is an absolute indicator of strength (Canon is 350+ but pushes more like a 320 to me), but normally it is a good indicator.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I want an upgrade over Mankins. This past few games, they have been giving up QB pressure inside. 

I don't have any recordings of UNC, so I really can't comment knowledgeably. That said, at 310 lbs, I do have questions about Cooper's ability to run block against the bigger DLines in he NFL. 

I am not saying weight is an absolute indicator of strength (Canon is 350+ but pushes more like a 320 to me), but normally it is a good indicator.

[/QUOTE]

Check out the link below... kid has great feet/balance/movement ability, gets to the 2nd level/pulls with ease (needs to keep his head up better/not lunge)... strong punch, always seems to be finishing a block/sealing his man/caving his man.  I had posted this previously, but I really enjoyed watching this kid on tape and that says a lot when in reference to a LG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4S5bcc0HQ0

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ok mb, this is how i have it:

the huuuuge glaring need for this team 1a and 1a is at off line and pass rush.

so we need a strategy that starts there. sure an elite corner would be great to have but with a weak pass rush as ours, it wont matter much.

without some o line help that can win at run blocking and pass blocking this offense will never be at its peak and therefore make successful sb bids (wins) very unlikely.

good o line talent can be chosen later in the draft, but pass rushers will be gone by late rd 1.

so we need to either get babin in the offseason or another proven pass rusher or move up with the help of 2014 picks and get a player like jordan or ansah in rd 1.

we use the rd 3 pick on frederick moving up in rd 3 if need be if we think he will be grabbed (again usign 2014 picks - we wont need a ton more youth after this year. we need more experience and   a few key players).

with the rd 2 pick id like to get a dt (outside wr who can separate and catch is a need, but our ability to pick one is poor. ditto for a cb or s)

however through fa and the draft we need a safety that can hit and can cover ala j byrd or goldson who are available; a top corner to go along with talb (so we can make dennard [or dowling if he dont break] our 3rd corner); a linebacker with speed who can cover tes/rbs out of backfield, and the above mentioned big wr who can separate on the outside.

there are numerous variations obviously depending on who we target in fa.

the only scenario i can see where id be ok with taking a rhodes (cb) for instance in rd 1 is if we have the pass rusher already in fa. given my druthers id rather have a modest cb in fa who is proven and get the elite dt in rd 1 in this case (having our pass rusher in fa).

so barring fa pickup,

rd 1 de jordan/ansah

rd 2 dt  williams (will he fall here? some mocks say yes, some say no)

rd 3 c/g frederick

if we dont trade up far enough to get a pass rusher in rd 1,

fallback

willimas dt in 1

hunt de in 2

frederickc/g  in 3.

if we land de babin

williams dt (or barret jones c/g) in 1

best player availble (safety ie rambo/cb ie poyer/speed lb -not spotted yet/wr whoever falls)or dt willimas in 2 if barrett jones in rd 1

frederick in 3

wr in rd 7 (big separating reciver with hands possibly smalll school, div 3 etc, maybe no route running exp)

[/QUOTE]

I'll start by saying that while there's room for improvement across the board (as there is with most teams), there's no positional grouping or unit that will lead to the demise of the team over the short/long term, preventing wins/consistency... as BB/NC have done a good job of building positional depth. 

With that said, I still believe DT/DE/OL/DB will be targeted in Rd 1.  If I'm being honest, UNC OG Jon Cooper could be the best player available when NE selects based on pure talent/ability... put the tape in, this kid is gonna be an All-Pro.

Of the scenarios metioned in your post I think the Rd 1 Williams/Rd 2 Hunt/Rd 2 Frederick has the best chance of happening, based on player availibility.

[/QUOTE]

agree on wms, hunt frederick. if we can get a c/g who can win in the run and pass in rd 3 or 3, why not get a psotion we would have to pick in rd 1 first and the o line improvement insead of he other way around. another way to say id like to get the BEST 3 PLAYERS possible over teh best 1.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to speedster81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

so we need a strategy that starts there. sure an elite corner would be great to have but with a weak pass rush as ours, it wont matter much.

without some o line help that can win at run blocking and pass blocking this offense will never be at its peak and therefore make successful sb bids (wins) very unlikely.

good o line talent can be chosen later in the draft, but pass rushers will be gone by late rd 1.

so we need to either get babin in the offseason or another proven pass rusher or move up with the help of 2014 picks and get a player like jordan or ansah in rd 1.

we use the rd 3 pick on frederick moving up in rd 3 if need be if we think he will be grabbed (again usign 2014 picks - we wont need a ton more youth after this year. we need more experience and   a few key players).

with the rd 2 pick id like to get a dt (outside wr who can separate and catch is a need, but our ability to pick one is poor. ditto for a cb or s)

however through fa and the draft we need a safety that can hit and can cover ala j byrd or goldson who are available; a top corner to go along with talb (so we can make dennard [or dowling if he dont break] our 3rd corner); a linebacker with speed who can cover tes/rbs out of backfield, and the above mentioned big wr who can separate on the outside.

the only scenario i can see where id be ok with taking a rhodes (cb) for instance in rd 1 is if we have the pass rusher already in fa. given my druthers id rather have a modest cb in fa who is proven and get the elite dt in rd 1 in this case (having our pass rusher in fa).

so barring fa pickup,

rd 1 de jordan/ansah

rd 3 c/g frederick

fallback

willimas dt in 1

hunt de in 2

frederickc/g  in 3.

if we land de babin

best player availble (safety ie rambo/cb ie poyer/speed lb -not spotted yet/wr whoever falls)or dt willimas in 2 if barrett jones in rd 1

frederick in 3

wr in rd 7 (big separating reciver with hands possibly smalll school, div 3 etc, maybe no route running exp)

[/QUOTE]

I'll start by saying that while there's room for improvement across the board (as there is with most teams), there's no positional grouping or unit that will lead to the demise of the team over the short/long term, preventing wins/consistency... as BB/NC have done a good job of building positional depth. 

With that said, I still believe DT/DE/OL/DB will be targeted in Rd 1.  If I'm being honest, UNC OG Jon Cooper could be the best player available when NE selects based on pure talent/ability... put the tape in, this kid is gonna be an All-Pro.

Of the scenarios metioned in your post I think the Rd 1 Williams/Rd 2 Hunt/Rd 2 Frederick has the best chance of happening, based on player availibility.

[/QUOTE]

I too like Jonathan Cooper a lot. My question however is what happens to the young group on interior linemen that the Pats already have on their roster if they choose to go OL in round 1? Donald Thomas has played really well this year but is a low profile guy who could be brought back for less than what it takes to sign a first round pick at the end of round one. If they judge Connolly's back issue to be chronic then in that case maybe we could justify picking a Guard in round 1. Nick Macdonald and Ryan Wendell have also looked pretty good this year. Retaining Thomas gives the Pats a core of 5 solid interior guys in Mankins, Wendell, Connolly, Thomas and Macdonald that you can definately win with.

[/QUOTE]

It's a fair question and one that'll prob be discussed internally for all positions... weighing current talent vs. available.  I think they're in a good spot where they don't have to force a pick to address a specific position... I just think Jon Cooper could = BPA.

[/QUOTE]

re:

" I think they're in a good spot where they don't have to force a pick to address a specific position"

i disagree if its not obvious. i think the pass rsuh has to be better adn teh o line has to be better. brady is a punching bag.

after that safety and cb have to get better.

need a speed guy (wr) outside and a speed linebacker

all in fa and draft.

have to also retain or replace welker, vollmer and talib

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

so barring fa pickup,

rd 1 de jordan/ansah

rd 3 c/g frederick

fallback

willimas dt in 1

hunt de in 2

frederickc/g  in 3.

if we land de babin

frederick in 3

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I too like Jonathan Cooper a lot. My question however is what happens to the young group on interior linemen that the Pats already have on their roster if they choose to go OL in round 1? Donald Thomas has played really well this year but is a low profile guy who could be brought back for less than what it takes to sign a first round pick at the end of round one. If they judge Connolly's back issue to be chronic then in that case maybe we could justify picking a Guard in round 1. Nick Macdonald and Ryan Wendell have also looked pretty good this year. Retaining Thomas gives the Pats a core of 5 solid interior guys in Mankins, Wendell, Connolly, Thomas and Macdonald that you can definately win with.

[/QUOTE]

It's a fair question and one that'll prob be discussed internally for all positions... weighing current talent vs. available.  I think they're in a good spot where they don't have to force a pick to address a specific position... I just think Jon Cooper could = BPA.

[/QUOTE]

re:

" I think they're in a good spot where they don't have to force a pick to address a specific position"

i disagree if its not obvious. i think the pass rsuh has to be better adn teh o line has to be better. brady is a punching bag.

all in fa and draft.

[/QUOTE]

Brady is one of the better protected QB's in the NFL... as a team NE has given up the 5th fewest amount of sacks (26) which rates them 5th best in sack rate (1 sack every 23 pass attempts), while having the 4th most pass attempts in the NFL.

Below are the Top 5 in sack rate:

QB           Attempts /Sacks /Against Sacks per attempt

Eli Manning, QB-      515 /18 /28.6

Peyton Manning, QB-      554 /21 /26.4

Drew Brees, QB-      627 /24 /26.1

Matthew Stafford, QB-     685 /28 /24.5

Tom Brady, QB-      601 /26 23.1                                              

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

so barring fa pickup,

rd 1 de jordan/ansah

rd 3 c/g frederick

fallback

willimas dt in 1

hunt de in 2

frederickc/g  in 3.

if we land de babin

frederick in 3

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

re:

all in fa and draft.

[/QUOTE]

Brady isn't a punching bag, NE is ranked 27th in the NFL in sacks allowed (26)... essentially, NE's OL gives up a sack once very 23 pass attempts (the 5th best average in the league). 

QB Attempts Sacks Against Sacks per attempt Eli Manning, QB 515 18 28.6 Peyton Manning, QB 554 21 26.4 Drew Brees, QB 627 24 26.1 Matthew Stafford, QB 685 28 24.5 Tom Brady, QB 601 26 23.1 QB                                              [/QUOTE]

since i dont think this will  be a threat to our repartee,

im going to disagree with you mb. i dont care how many sacks brady gives up. in fact brady like manning will dump the ball to avoid a sack as good or better than anyone. 

when brady is getting hit on nearly every pass play (way too much, not every play) he is a punching bag and if you have seen the games of late, you know what i mean i think.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

Hey bred with all due respect I too will disagree with you. The O Line has performed admirably for most of the year. Lately however they have struggled a bit especially since the Houston game. It's no coincidence that those teams play a lot of man and if the receivers do not win early then Brady has to hold the ball longer to wait for someone to come open. Without Gronk and to a lesser extent Edelman, they have been doubling Welker and Hernandez on a huge amount of snaps daring Lloyd, whichever other TE is on the field and Branch to beat the one on one match up. Lloyd more than held his own against Houston and San Fran but against the Jags he and Brady were off. The line will got better as the receivers get better executing againsma press man coverage. Gronks return also bodes well for the pass protection as Defenses can realistically only double 2 guys thus leaving 2 of either Gronk, Hernandez, welker or Lloyd with a one on one. I Like the odds of one of those guys winning their matchup and giving Brady a quick outlet.

Not to be overlooked is also the running backs problems in picking up the blitz. Vereen and woodhead struggled a bit against the Jags for instance.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Margus Hunt!!!! draft this guy, sign osi and NE will have one hell of a DE rotation with them and chandler. plenty of fire power to get after the QB

[/QUOTE]

not bad ricky.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Margus Hunt!!!! draft this guy, sign osi and NE will have one hell of a DE rotation with them and chandler. plenty of fire power to get after the QB

[/QUOTE]

not bad ricky.

[/QUOTE]

you watching the game? hunt continues to be unblockable. Fresno State is even throwing triple teams his way. he looks like a 4-3 version of jj watt. relentless.

[/QUOTE]

I was worried when i first found this guy and brought him to this board that he would be a JJ Watt type guy who shoots up draft boards out of our range.  Hopefully his age and rawness will keep him within our range.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

hunts 3 tackles for a loss, 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles and a safety will definiately show teams what he is capable of.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

Hey bred with all due respect I too will disagree with you. The O Line has performed admirably for most of the year. Lately however they have struggled a bit especially since the Houston game. It's no coincidence that those teams play a lot of man and if the receivers do not win early then Brady has to hold the ball longer to wait for someone to come open. Without Gronk and to a lesser extent Edelman, they have been doubling Welker and Hernandez on a huge amount of snaps daring Lloyd, whichever other TE is on the field and Branch to beat the one on one match up. Lloyd more than held his own against Houston and San Fran but against the Jags he and Brady were off. The line will got better as the receivers get better executing againsma press man coverage. Gronks return also bodes well for the pass protection as Defenses can realistically only double 2 guys thus leaving 2 of either Gronk, Hernandez, welker or Lloyd with a one on one. I Like the odds of one of those guys winning their matchup and giving Brady a quick outlet.

Not to be overlooked is also the running backs problems in picking up the blitz. Vereen and woodhead struggled a bit against the Jags for instance.

[/QUOTE]

hey speed,

differetn thoughts are what this is about. must say we have 180 degrees different opinion here. 

we have not had a good enoug o line to win a super bowl as i see it. even with solder and cannon.

agaisnt top de's brady cannot do eh damage he may otherwise do. brady has been a pinata.

this year, even against jax, one of the worst in the league, brady was battered continually.

anyone of those hits could end his career. better o lines you can see when you watch a game and the qb is getting several seconds and has a clean pocket all game.

the fact that gronk needs to help our line block should be enohter indication.

along with the 0-2 seconds brady ha to throw.

re our pas game, when defenses can focus only on the pass because josh interest in the run game is perfuntory. 

better scheming, selection, and use of the run would free up our receviers more.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

not bad ricky.

[/QUOTE]

you watching the game? hunt continues to be unblockable. Fresno State is even throwing triple teams his way. he looks like a 4-3 version of jj watt. relentless.

[/QUOTE]

no, thanks ricky diodnt knwo he was playng. still hes not playing agaisnt top o line i would guess. hwo did he do against top o lineman

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Hunt definitely showed he is definitely a nasty force on  pass pressure. I ask the board... how does he look against the run?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

not bad ricky.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was worried when i first found this guy and brought him to this board that he would be a JJ Watt type guy who shoots up draft boards out of our range.  Hopefully his age and rawness will keep him within our range.

[/QUOTE]

hey nate, if this guy is the real deal (even against top competition), the way pass rushers have shot up boards, we may have to get hunt in rd 1. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Hunt didn't have huge stats this season (6 sacks, 8.5 TFL), though he did have 2 sacks, 3 FL total vs. Tex A&M and TCU.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

Hunt definitely showed he is definitely a nasty force on  pass pressure. I ask the board... how does he look against the run?

[/QUOTE]

Haven't been able to find any 2012 tape, hope some gets posted soon.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

Hunt didn't have huge stats this season (6 sacks, 8.5 TFL), though he did have 2 sacks, 3 FL total vs. Tex A&M and TCU.

[/QUOTE]

T-Minus 14 days till Notre Dame brings home the National Championship

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If they do, I can't wait to see how the SEC folk would rationalize it.  GO IRISH!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If they do, I can't wait to see how the SEC folk rationalize it.  GO IRISH!

[/QUOTE]

boy just to shut up their arrogance and smugness would feel good

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If they do, I can't wait to see how the SEC folk would rationalize it.  GO IRISH!

[/QUOTE]

no rationalizing, id say they won it.

just like in the opposite way, if the pats are in a weak division and got breaks on the way to a sb by playing weaker teams (only much worse often ....see florida's schedule). there is a more unfair element in that no nfl team and most college teams dont get to choose every opponent in their schedule. ie "oh, were not in any conference, we're the pats, look at our legacy, we'll take  all the money and decide who we will beat to go to the natl chamnpionship. college football at ncaa level is not exactly a "fair" sport in decidign a champion.

now i would not say they were the only or the most deserving team to be in the game.

if youve read my thoughts i think 8 or 9 teams deserve to be in a playoff for the title.

thee most deserving on the field to me is florida by far only tema to face 4 top 12 teams.

the best 2 teams by eye test ive shared earlier

but i think the only fair thing is an eight (or 12 ive seen) team playoff. thats my thought.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

no rationalizing, id say they won it.

just like in the opposite way, if the pats are in a weak division and got breaks on the way to a sb by playing weaker teams (only much worse often ....see florida's schedule). there is a more unfair element in that no nfl team and most college teams dont get to choose every opponent in their schedule. ie "oh, were not in any conference, we're the pats, look at our legacy, we'll take  all the money and decide who we will beat to go to the natl chamnpionship. college football at ncaa level is not exactly a "fair" sport in decidign a champion.

now i would not say they were the only or the most deserving team to be in the game.

if youve read my thoughts i think 8 or 9 teams deserve to be in a playoff for the title.

thee most deserving on the field to me is florida by far only tema to face 4 top 12 teams.

the best 2 teams by eye test ive shared earlier

but i think the only fair thing is an eight (or 12 ive seen) team playoff. thats my thought.

[/QUOTE]

you will notice however that ND doesnt ever schedule div IIA opponents like the SEC does

and that the SEC can field 30 more players as a conference per team than any other conference (130-100)

and that there always seems to be this idea that ND gets special treatment/favoritism due to network $$$ but no one seems to mention a slight southern anti-catholic bias in the coaches poll that has reared it's ugly head more than once throughout the years

all in all though yes a playoff is the only true measure like basketball and march madness

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

saw some video of hunt against pitt and a and m, didnt see a top tier pass rusher, and very green in football years but looked strong.