***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

Tyrann Mathieu breaks into rd 3 as i expected and posted (in walter footballs new mock).

someone's gonna gamble in rd 2-3 id think

walter says baltimore will.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

new nfl draft tyler has hunt already up to rd 1 to pats.

at this rate (the way pass rushers have risen on everyone's board) we may be lucky to land hunt or okafor at the bottom of round 1 (for pass rushers)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

bredbru- What's the status of Brian Waters & how does it affect the Pats draft?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

Cornellius Carradine FL St 6'5 265lb

STRENGTHS

Carradine flashes explosion off the snap to challenge the lateral agility of right tackles, and can swipe them away with strong hands to slingshot into the pocket. He also plays with the leverage of a shorter player, brings a strong initial punch to bull lesser tackles off the ball, and simply shoves tight ends away like ragdolls in the run game. There’s certainly no issue with his motor, as he will hustle to the sideline if the play can be made.

WEAKNESSES

Though Carradine shows most all of the physical attributes teams covet in a defensive end, his lack of experience is a negative. And if he isn’t on the field for any extended period of time in 2012, it might be tough for scouts to give him a starter’s grade because they don’t know what his level of stamina against better competition.

NFL COMPARISON

Justin Tuck

BOTTOM LINE

On most other defenses, Carradine would have started as a first-year junior college transfer but Bjoern Werner and Brandon Jenkins limited his snaps in 2011. Still, he flashed real athleticism and strength (38 tackles, eight for loss, 5.5 sacks) when given the chance last season, portending great things for his professional career (and a corresponding early-round draft slot), even if used as a reserve again in 2012.http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/cornellius-carradine?id=2539224

80 tackles, 13 TFL, 11 sacks, 9 hurries, 1 FF in 2012.

Another potential value option due to his injury... kid has a ton of size/length/athleticism.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Doesn't have the length of a lot of the potential edge players in this class (though his height/weight is similar to Nink), but def has a lot of the characteristics that BB values (motor, strength, off field prep, etc.)... hope to see him do LB drills at the combine.

i hope he doesn't do LB drills because that will mean he is getting drafted by a team other than NE unless BB decides to switch back to the 3-4 after this season.

His lack of length will be what makes him available in the 2nd and maybe 3rd round. 

I think he's a Top 64 kid and think there's a chance he could be on the board when NE selects towards to back end of Rd 2.  Would be a solid pick.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to dwhite1220's comment:

dw,

The below article provides some clarification of his current situation as well as some insight into his potential future.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/02/brian-waters-negotiated-a-return-to-patriots-but-cant-return-now/

A couple of key points:

1.  Looks like NE came to an agreement to bring Waters back, however it missed the deadline to " take players off the reserve/did not report list".

2.  He might retire.

I don't see the status of Waters (who'll be 36 ) as a big factor in how they address the 2013 draft.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

dwhite,
    we lost him this year have no rights beyond

• You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

dwhite,

if he didn't show up for the entire seasn don't we still have one more year of his rights?

In response to natesubs' comment:

dwhite,

if he didn't show up for the entire seasn don't we still have one more year of his rights?

my understanding is no, we have none.

Some news on PE's boy...

Per ESPN Rumor Central:

UPDATE: Wisconsin lineman Travis Frederick is still considering his NFL draft options. An ex-Wisconsin staff member told ESPN Rumor Central, "I think he will (declare for the draft)."

Wisconsin has been able to seamlessly replace top talents leaving for the NFL in recent years, and it appears new head coach Gary Andersen will have to repeat the operation.

---

Wisconsin's offensive line has been an assembly line of talent to the NFL in recent years. The best of this year's bunch of big uglies is junior center Travis Frederick. And Frederick is strongly considering entering April's NFL Draft as an underclassman.

"Hearing Travis Frederick/OL/Wisconsin waiting till after bowl game on draft decision. Speculation from those close is he enters," Tony Pauline of SportsIllustrated.com tweeted.

The decision could be hastened by Wisconsin's recent coaching change. If he does decide to leave Madison for the NFL, freshman Dan Voltz will be expected to replace Frederick at the pivot.

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Some news on PE's boy...

Per ESPN Rumor Central:

UPDATE: Wisconsin lineman Travis Frederick is still considering his NFL draft options. An ex-Wisconsin staff member told ESPN Rumor Central, "I think he will (declare for the draft)."

Wisconsin has been able to seamlessly replace top talents leaving for the NFL in recent years, and it appears new head coach Gary Andersen will have to repeat the operation.

---

Wisconsin's offensive line has been an assembly line of talent to the NFL in recent years. The best of this year's bunch of big uglies is junior center Travis Frederick. And Frederick is strongly considering entering April's NFL Draft as an underclassman.

"Hearing Travis Frederick/OL/Wisconsin waiting till after bowl game on draft decision. Speculation from those close is he enters," Tony Pauline of SportsIllustrated.com tweeted.

The decision could be hastened by Wisconsin's recent coaching change. If he does decide to leave Madison for the NFL, freshman Dan Voltz will be expected to replace Frederick at the pivot.

mb and others, what makes folks here and elsewhere think frederick will make it to the pats at the end of the 3rd round, as opposed to the 2nd?

Some news on PE's boy...

Per ESPN Rumor Central:

---

mb and others, what makes folks here and elsewhere think frederick will make it to the pats at the end of the 3rd round, as opposed to the 2nd?

bred, you've been mentioning Frederick to NE in Rd 3, frequently... I don't know where he'll go at this point, will probably have a better projection on him once I'm able to watch some tape.  It's prob a fair assumption that he'll go somewhere on Day 2, but I still need to study him first.

Some news on PE's boy...

Per ESPN Rumor Central:

---

bred, you've been mentioning Frederick to NE in Rd 3, frequently... I don't know where he'll go at this point, will probably have a better projection on him once I'm able to watch some tape.  It's prob a fair assumption that he'll go somewhere on Day 2, but I still need to study him first.

thanks mb, ive seen him mocked on the thread and in prof mocks in 3rd rd, inlcuding several having him to pats in 3rd. have not seen him play, nor is o line my speciality. the descripion of him sounds pretty good, makes me have a little fdoubb that he lasts till late in 3rd rd.

Some news on PE's boy...

Per ESPN Rumor Central:

---

thanks mb, ive seen him mocked on the thread and in prof mocks in 3rd rd, inlcuding several having him to pats in 3rd. have not seen him play, nor is o line my speciality. the descripion of him sounds pretty good, makes me have a little fdoubb that he lasts till late in 3rd rd.

The Belk Bowl is on at 6:30, Cincy vs. Duke, on ESPN... good chance to check out Duke WR Conner Vernon (6-1 200).  Looks like the prototype NE WR... good size, catches the ball well, solid route runner, good speed/quicks/RAC ability, ultra-productive at Duke (ACC career leader in receptions & receiving yards).  Check him out... prob a Rd 4-5 kid at this point.

Some news on PE's boy...

Per ESPN Rumor Central:

---

The Belk Bowl is on at 6:30, Cincy vs. Duke, on ESPN... good chance to check out Duke WR Conner Vernon (6-1 200).  Looks like the prototype NE WR... good size, catches the ball well, solid route runner, good speed/quicks/RAC ability, good production at Duke (ACC career leader in receiving yards).  Check him out... prob a Rd 4-5 kid at this point.

does he play on the outside? any separation?

Some news on PE's boy...

Per ESPN Rumor Central:

---

The Belk Bowl is on at 6:30, Cincy vs. Duke, on ESPN... good chance to check out Duke WR Conner Vernon (6-1 200).  Looks like the prototype NE WR... good size, catches the ball well, solid route runner, good speed/quicks/RAC ability, good production at Duke (ACC career leader in receiving yards).  Check him out... prob a Rd 4-5 kid at this point.

oes he play on the outside? any separation?

Versatile kid that plays inside and out at Duke... also looks good returning punts.  Uses his speed/quicks/route running to seperate, yes.

Some news on PE's boy...

Per ESPN Rumor Central:

---

oes he play on the outside? any separation?

Versatile kid that plays inside and out at Duke... also looks good returning punts.  Uses his speed/quicks/route running to seperate, yes.

thanks man.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

does NE have enough cap room going into next season to sign wes, vollmer, talib, woodhead, edelman and say osi umenyiora?

35 mil i believe

I would say yes to Welker.  He will be tagged.  He's worth the $11.4MM price tag which is far less than the amount he'd get on the open market.  The Pats have about $35MM in cap space.  They should have enough to resign all those guys.  I don't think they will make a big splash in free agency, they seldom do.

I hope they make a run at Dwight Freeney. Dont know how much he will be asking for but he has made a lot of money playing for the colts over the years. Would love to see him play just on passing situations much like the Falcons do with John Abraham.

In response to speedster81's comment:

In response to Faucetman's comment:

does NE have enough cap room going into next season to sign wes, vollmer, talib, woodhead, edelman and say osi umenyiora?

35 mil i believe

I would say yes to Welker.  He will be tagged.  He's worth the $11.4MM price tag which is far less than the amount he'd get on the open market.  The Pats have about $35MM in cap space.  They should have enough to resign all those guys.  I don't think they will make a big splash in free agency, they seldom do.

I hope they make a run at Dwight Freeney. Dont know how much he will be asking for but he has made a lot of money playing for the colts over the years. Would love to see him play just on passing situations much like the Falcons do with John Abraham.

one way or another, we have to have another pass rusher and top o lineman. 2 glaring problems.

you know, if we get a pass rusher and safety in fa (and keep wlker, talib, vollmer/or fa tackle),

what do you suppose might be the merit in taking a xavier rhodes in rd 1?

we can still get the the interior o line help in rd 2 or 3.

i just dont know if bb will finally pony up for a pass rusher (and safety) in fa.

it (thi sstrategy) might be the better play since most of the pass rushers, if not all the good ones, will be gone by time we pick.

you know, if we get a pass rusher and safety in fa (and keep wlker, talib, vollmer/or fa tackle),

i just dont know if bb will finally pony up for a pass rusher (and safety) in fa.

it (thi sstrategy) might be the better play since most of the pass rushers, if not all the good ones, will be gone by time we pick.

This class projects to be a lot deeper at CB than interior OL, so under the above scenario, I'd be looking OL first (Cooper/Jones), then target CB on day 2... I'd also be looking DT on Day 2 (i.e. UNC's Sylvester Williams).  Never in a million years did I think I'd ever consider (2) Tar Heels within the first couple rounds.

RE: Travis Frederick...

Watched some tape... if this kid declares, I'll be adding him to by Big 32 board, in prob the Rd 2 range.  For a big kid (6-4 338), he moves pretty well in space and has no trouble taking out 2nd level defenders... also plays with a good base and strength at the POA.  This kid is prototype Wisconsin, always looking to punch you in the mouth and I really like how he finishes blocks... I'm a fan of this kid's game.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

If this kid declares, I'll be adding him to by Big 32 board, in prob the Rd 2 range.  For a big kid (6-4 338), he moves well both pulling and in space and has no trouble taking out 2nd level defenders.  This kid is prototype Wisconsin, always looking to punch you in the mouth and I really like how he finishes blocks... I'm a fan of this kid's game.

When it comes to Guard/ Center Play, I put a huge value in run blocking ability. I am a big fan of Frederick for the same reasons I have cooled off on Barrett Jones. Frederick has the ability to lock up on his man and via good technique and natural strength drive his man backwards. Barrett Jones meanwhile seems more of a technician. He will use his excellent feet to wall off the DT or hold his point but rarely do you see him drive someone back. Frederick seems like the guy you really want on the field late in the game when you are trying to put together a 4 min drive to close it out OR when its 3rd and short and you got to have the first down, he is a guy I would feel confident would be able to open up a hole for Ridley in that situation.

In response to speedster81's comment:

If this kid declares, I'll be adding him to by Big 32 board, in prob the Rd 2 range.  For a big kid (6-4 338), he moves well both pulling and in space and has no trouble taking out 2nd level defenders.  This kid is prototype Wisconsin, always looking to punch you in the mouth and I really like how he finishes blocks... I'm a fan of this kid's game.

When it comes to Guard/ Center Play, I put a huge value in run blocking ability. I am a big fan of Frederick for the same reasons I have cooled off on Barrett Jones. Frederick has the ability to lock up on his man and via good technique and natural strength drive his man backwards. Barrett Jones meanwhile seems more of a technician. He will use his excellent feet to wall off the DT or hold his point but rarely do you see him drive someone back. Frederick seems like the guy you really want on the field late in the game when you are trying to put together a 4 min drive to close it out OR when its 3rd and short and you got to have the first down, he is a guy I would feel confident would be able to open up a hole for Ridley in that situation.

Frederick is def the pure power player (and is more fun to watch), however I don't think Jones is lacking in power... he more than held his own against the mammoth Daniel McCullers when they went head to head.  It really comes down to the preference of the coaching staff as I'd agree that they have two different styles... though both good football players, IMO. 

This class projects to be a lot deeper at CB than interior OL, so under the above scenario, I'd be looking OL first (Cooper/Jones), then target CB on day 2... I'd also be looking DT on Day 2 (i.e. UNC's Sylvester Williams).  Never in a million years did I think I'd ever consider (2) Tar Heels within the first couple rounds.

yes williams seems like a good prospect. 

you dont think frederick is good enough to win in the nfl in the pass and run?

rhodes is a gig tough guy. after pass rusher, if we have a chance to get players liek seattle has, that has a lot of merit to me, especially if we can get a guy in the 3rd who would be an upgrade of our o line.

re cooper jones, you siad you liked cooper. i cacknoweledge hsi talent, but wouldnt a guy who can play every postion on the line including center be more valuablle?

if we got the fa safety and pass rusher id be coll going rhodes, dt (williams if stll there perhaps), then frederick in third (if i expected him to be there).

that said , id be hard pressed to have a probnlem with taking a first round o line stud at a position of huge need (provided we have a pass rusher already, otherwise i want a pass rusher in rd 1-but feel wed have to move up considerabley to get ansah- and jorrdan i expect out of reach).

hunt i dont see as a speed rusher, bu if he were jj watt 2.0 id find a way to be ok with that :)

• Sections
    Shortcuts