***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

Just started looking a little more at the Top 100 prospects in this year's class, and by my estimate this draft looks like it could set up pretty well for us.  I would say that our Top needs are DL, WR, G/C, S (if Chung walks, which I believe he will), and CB (I think we re-sign Talib & like Dennard, but still need an upgrade for Arrington).  Based on what I've seen so far, the first 3 rounds of this draft look to be stacked with really good players at our postions of need.  I said it already, but I would love to see us trade our late 1st rounder (hopefully #32!!!!) back into the early to mid 2nd round because I really think there will be great players available at that point, especially if QB-needy teams (and there are plenty of those...) start to panic and reach for mediocre QBs in the 1st round ( the Christian Ponder effect).  Should be a fun "draft season" but I sure hope to be squarely focused on the playoffs until early February!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Was pretty much expected, but FSU CB Xavier Rhodes will declare for the draft:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/02/second-seminole-leaving-fsu-for-draft/

he could be great in the NFL with his size and skills, but i've seen him take some plays off at FSU. the motor isn't always there.

Thanks for the feedback, Ricky... I'm getting more and more interested in your boy Melvin White.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Gotta say, I can't fr!gg!n wait to watch Matt Elam vs. Louisville tonight.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Gotta say, I can't fr!gg!n wait to watch Matt Elam vs. Louisville tonight.

i will tape it, will be at gym. 

go florida!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Just started looking a little more at the Top 100 prospects in this year's class, and by my estimate this draft looks like it could set up pretty well for us.  I would say that our Top needs are DL, WR, G/C, S (if Chung walks, which I believe he will), and CB (I think we re-sign Talib & like Dennard, but still need an upgrade for Arrington).  Based on what I've seen so far, the first 3 rounds of this draft look to be stacked with really good players at our postions of need.  I said it already, but I would love to see us trade our late 1st rounder (hopefully #32!!!!) back into the early to mid 2nd round because I really think there will be great players available at that point, especially if QB-needy teams (and there are plenty of those...) start to panic and reach for mediocre QBs in the 1st round ( the Christian Ponder effect).  Should be a fun "draft season" but I sure hope to be squarely focused on the playoffs until early February!

I agree that there should be some pretty good talent in this range.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Ricky, you said ditto for a lot of the QB's I mentioned basically saying why would you draft high for a QB when you already have one, well because they can't win with those QB's! Why would you keep the same QB's to throw the ball when you can't win with them? It's makes no sense in a QB driven league. A lot of teams would rather take a risk and draft early in hopes that the QB class turns into what we saw last year ( which was thought of not to be overly talented after the first two). We see it every year teams will and do reach for QB's all the time no matter what the draft class looks like.

Oh with Buf well because it's Buf, lol. Why would you even question that? They telegraph their pick months in advance always have. This year they said they are targetting a QB so they will target a QB

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Man, what happed to Florida's vaunted defense last night?!  Pretty ugly, but congrats to L'Ville & Teddy Bridgewater!  Real statement win for them.  Despite the poor defensive performance by Florida, I thought Elam looked pretty good for most of the night.  Not his best game, but I've seen enough of him by now to make me a believer.  He'll be a very solid NFL safety and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we drafted him early to start alongside McCourty (Assuming Chung leaves).  A secondary of Talib/Dennard at CB and McCourty/Elam at saftey, with Wilson rotating in as the "Money" player situationally would look pretty good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Man, what happed to Florida's vaunted defense last night?!  Pretty ugly, but congrats to L'Ville & Teddy Bridgewater!  Real statement win for them.  Despite the poor defensive performance by Florida, I thought Elam looked pretty good for most of the night.  Not his best game, but I've seen enough of him by now to make me a believer.  He'll be a very solid NFL safety and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we drafted him early to start alongside McCourty (Assuming Chung leaves).  A secondary of Talib/Dennard at CB and McCourty/Elam at saftey, with Wilson rotating in as the "Money" player situationally would look pretty good.

They had problems stopping the pass, though Lousiville couldn't do anything on the ground... or atleast that was the case through (3) quarter, before I feel asleep.

Elam really wasn't tested much in the pass game, played a lot of man out of the slot as well as back deep... I rembember seeing one negative play where he flew in with his head down and missed a tackle, but that was prob it... he blew up a few ball carriers and really demonstrated the phsyciality (Rodney-esque) that I've been seeing... a definite tone setter in the secondary. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

January 3

(1:00 PM): Second Spartan going pro … Michigan State junior RB Le'Veon Bell tweeted earlier today that as expcted he is leaving school and will enter the 2013 draft. 

(11:00 AM): Vols NT to return to school … Tennessee junior NT Daniel McCullers announced via social media on Tuesday night that he would return for his senior season rather than enter the NFL draft. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Which underclassman is the biggest surprise to declare for the draft thus far?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

January 3

(1:00 PM): Second Spartan going pro … Michigan State junior RB Le'Veon Bell tweeted earlier today that as expcted he is leaving school and will enter the 2013 draft. 

(11:00 AM): Vols NT to return to school … Tennessee junior NT Daniel McCullers announced via social media on Tuesday night that he would return for his senior season rather than enter the NFL draft. 

Thanks, JJ... time to remove McCullers from my board.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Army2LT's comment:

Which underclassman is the biggest surprise to declare for the draft thus far?

Arm,

I haven't seen a player that has made me scratch my head as of yet, but I'll let you know when I do.  They have until Jan 15th to declare.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

PE/Ricky,

Just watched everything I could find on Vandy WR Jordan Matthews... good length, generally catches the football with his hands, deceiving speed due to his long strides... what I don't see is the sudden/quick footed/COD guy that BB/NC generally target.   Interesting to see if they change there philosophy a bit to target more big bodies.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Matt Elam and Sharrif Floyd to declare for the Draft:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/21487849/elam-floyd-leaving-gators-for-the-nfl

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

PE/Ricky,

fJust watched everything I could find on Vandy WR Jordan Matthews... good length, generally catches the football with his hands, deceiving speed due to his long strides... what I don't see is the sudden/quick footed/COD guy that BB/NC generally target.   Interesting to see if they change there philosophy a bit to target more big bodies.

as a 3rd-4th round pick i think he could be a rich man's david givens

Do you have any tape on Harper?  I haven't been able to find any.

UPDATE:  Nevermind, he's on TV now, ha.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Dion Jordan takes a direct snap to score the 2 point conversion... kid's a freak.

In a related topic, DeAnthony Thomas if fr!gg!n electric with the ball in his hands.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

theres your guy jordan on a pitch out :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

PE/Bred,

On the topic of "A quicker/faster drop/coverage LB", I'm really interested in Oregon's Kiko Alonso (6-3 242)... at some point on Day 3... maybe late Day 2. 

Kid looks very active, quick feet, moves very well in space, good speed to the flanks... also flows very quickly down hill... really like this kids overall game.

He also led Oregon in INT's this season with (4), to go along with (2) PBU.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

theres your guy jordan on a pitch out :)

Kid's a freak!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Do you have any tape on Harper?  I haven't been able to find any.

there's not much tape on harper at all i've just read a lot on him. started his career as a QB for the oregon ducks (+ football IQ) then transferred to Kstate to be closer to home and became a receiver, so he is still very raw. from what i've read his route running improves with each game he plays, great hands, thick build, intense blocker. 

he doesn't command the ball and he is a willing blocker which makes me think he would fit into the NE offense well. when the ball is thrown his way he has the wide frame to shield defenders from the ball and great hands.

only sample i can find are kstate videos there are no individual highlight vids, he is #3.

vs OU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-tcxs8fowo

vs kansas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KZyWneT42M

vs miami http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YuFGPMiTwE

vs texas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J0qoYljEHQ

Fiesta Bowl interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4PNV4Wtw48

I do like that he's an ex-QB, also like a WR that works to impact in the blocking game... that's a very underrated skill set in a WR.  The unselfishness def fits into the NE scheme as well.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

Im getting the feeling that the best value at the end of round 1/start of round 2 will be with Safeties. I would not be surprised to see the 3 top safeties in Tony Jefferson,Kenny Vaccaro and Matt Elam available when the Pats are on the board. If that is the case, I will be intrigued to see if the Pats do pick one and if they do which they get.

Tony Jefferson is in my opinion the best pure Free Safety of the bunch. If you are primarily looking for a guy who can seat deep, read routes developing in front of him and then click and close to disrupt the pass then he is your guy. He is not as physical as Matt Elam nor as good a tackler. He also does not match Kenny Vaccaro's man coverage ability. However he has better range and more experience playing the deep position than either of those 2 guys. NFL comparison in terms of style of play is Ed Reed.

Matt Elam is best playing closer to the line of scrimmage. He is a very reliable tackler, does a great job shedding blocks and sorting through trash to get to the ball carrier and is ok in coverage. Watching him brings to mind what Patrick Chung is supposed to be. He is ok in man and zone and playing deep but that is not what he excels at. Much better playing a traditional Strong Safety position.

Kenny Vaccaro is admittedly my favorite prospect for what he can potentially enable a defense to do schematically.In 2010, if you recall Belichick tried running a heavy nickel with 3 safeties as the base. Brandon Merriweather and James Sanders played the traditional safety roles and Patrick Chung played the slot position currently played by Arrington/ Marquice Cole.Eventually, the package was scrapped because Chung while effective playing the run and blitzing as a slot defender, really struggled when he was forced to carry the Slot Receiver/ TE down the field in man coverage. Recall for instance how Manning and Blair White/Tamme torched him in that 2010 game. This brings me to Kenny Vaccaro.I have never seen a safety play man coverage in the slot as effectively as he does. He has the rare ability to play the traditional WR and TE in man coverage.Check out how he played against Ryan Broyles and Tavon Austin for instance. He is also a pretty good blitzer and a good run defender to boot. Playing a 3 safety package with him as the slot defender greatly increases your pass defense while not killing your run defense like using a CB in the nickel would and does.I am however skeptical the Pats would pick him since I think Tavon Wilson was selected with the aforementioned role in mind. Fascinated to see how things turn out.

• Sections
    Shortcuts