***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to Faucetman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey Mb, my condolences.  At least ND played them even after 2.5 quarters.

[/QUOTE]

No doubt, they got their aces kicked, though bottom line is they've made huge progress from last season and will continue to with another top 3 recruiting class... headlined by elite an elite DB, LB's, RB's and OL... and they're bringing back most of their DL from this season.  Losing Manti will hurt, but BK is loading this team up for some continued success.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

"However, with a deep WR class, we ought to target one with our 2nd or 3rd rounder. "

thats exactly where i arrived. did you see what i put out so far on first 3 rd "stack".

i have top safety in fa j byrd or goldson, one of the many pass ruhsers available in fa, and maybe a speed lb.

big tough cb rhodes in rd 1, one of several big outside wrs i listed in rd 2, interior o line frederick in rd 3.

lots of other options i listed but this baed on what i expect to be available.

if ansah is available i take him.

if no fa additions yes ss safety who can cover well and pass rusher are at top along with g/c.

Bred,

Do you think we can pry Byrd away from Buffalo or Goldson from SF?  I am not familiar with their F/A situation to know if either would be tagged.  I thought Goldson was extended?  But I like your thinking.  Rhodes would be great to battle those big WRs which every team has.  You could even match him up with some of the speedy TEs like Keller.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

FSU OT Menelik Watson to declare for the draft.

I remember them mentioning him during their bowl game as a raw but athletic kid with good length and very little experience:

“has played just 20 games since come to this country from Manchester, England, 12 at FSU, eight at Saddleback [Junior College].”

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/09/ol-menelik-watson-departs-fsu-for-nfl/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

TCU WR Josh Boyce to declare for the draft.

I look forward to seeing more tape on this kid... he had very good production at TCU but want to better gauge his speed/movement ability. 

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/09/josh-boyce-opts-for-nfl-over-another-go-with-tcu/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

"However, with a deep WR class, we ought to target one with our 2nd or 3rd rounder. "

thats exactly where i arrived. did you see what i put out so far on first 3 rd "stack".

i have top safety in fa j byrd or goldson, one of the many pass ruhsers available in fa, and maybe a speed lb.

big tough cb rhodes in rd 1, one of several big outside wrs i listed in rd 2, interior o line frederick in rd 3.

if no fa additions yes ss safety who can cover well and pass rusher are at top along with g/c.

Bred,

Do you think we can pry Byrd away from Buffalo or Goldson from SF?  I am not familiar with their F/A situation to know if either would be tagged.  I thought Goldson was extended?  But I like your thinking.  Rhodes would be great to battle those big WRs which every team has.  You could even match him up with some of the speedy TEs like Keller.   

[/QUOTE]
    hey faucet,
    exactly

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ND TE Tyler Eifert to declare for the draft:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/08/post-bcs-loss-tyler-eifert-declares-for-the-draft/

[/QUOTE]

I would not be opposed to taking this kid if no better options are there.  With Gronk and Hern seldom healthy at the same time another quality TE would really do nicely.  I would love to see what he could do in 3 TE sets.  Can you imagine the mis-matches this would create?  I don't think the Pats are happy with Fells. 

I actually think our OL is pretty solid and deep.  Thomas and McDonald appear solid back-ups on the inside with Cannon possible at G.  I actually think OT is a bigger need than interior OL if Vollmer doesn't resign or continues to have back problems as there is nothing behind Cannon and nobody to back up Solder on the left side.  

To be clear, I am not advocating for Eifert over other choices, I'm just saying I could see how he would fit in and make our offense deeper and more lethal. 

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be opposed either but only if they were planning to move Hern to full time WR instead of drafting one. If you include Ballard they have 5 strong TE's. Though Hou and Fells aren't really pass catchers Ballard is. Hou might not be back next year but you still have a huge log jam at that position. Adding another TE wouldn't work well so you have to move one of them. Not sure I'd spend a 1st on Eifert unless you planned on running primarily a 2 TE set with Hern being a full time WR and Eifert and Gronk being your starters. 

[/QUOTE]

"unless you planned on running primarily a 2 TE set with Hern being a full time WR and Eifert and Gronk being your starters."

we already can do that with ballard and gronk and hern as wr. 

though theyve hardly ever been both healthy. with that and bb's penchant for tes you never know.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

MB, I love your dedication and knowledge of College Football.

What's your take on WR Corey Fuller out of Virginia Tech?  He reminds me a lot of Victor Cruz who went unnoticed out of UMass, except Fuller is a bit faster and 2 inches taller. 

I think if Fuller could work on his route-running, he could make a decent living in the NFL.

Also, I think a team is going to take a gamble on Marcus Davis (WR, Va Tech) whose draft stock is plummeted after his pitiful blocking performance against FSU in November.  Scouts don't like one-dimensional players and players who quit on plays.  However, he has all of the physical attributes you could imagine from a WR.  6'4, 230 and runs a 4.4.  I think if he busts his azz and proves he wants to play, he also could have a decent career.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

Bred,

[/QUOTE]

bills have to decide whether to tag him or andy levitre their left guard (9.6 mil tag for g, 6.8 mil tag for safety)

re goldson:

"Here are the latest Whispers we're hearing from our sources throughout the NFC:

• As good as 49ers FS Dashon Goldson has been the first half of the season, we hear it’s hardly a slam dunk that the team opts to re-sign him at season’s end and keeps him from testing what could be a pretty hot market for his services in free agency. “I’m just not sure what they’re going to do about him,” one team insider said. “They’re pretty high on (fourth-year pro C.J.Spillman (as a future starting safety). Plus, with heavy payments kicking in for the new stadium, they might not have the money.”

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What's your take on WR Corey Fuller out of Virginia Tech?  He reminds me a lot of Victor Cruz who went unnoticed out of UMass, except Fuller is a bit faster and 2 inches taller. 

I think if Fuller could work on his route-running, he could make a decent living in the NFL.

Also, I think a team is going to take a gamble on Marcus Davis (WR, Va Tech) whose draft stock is plummeted after his pitiful blocking performance against FSU in November.  Scouts don't like one-dimensional players and players who quit on plays.  However, he has all of the physical attributes you could imagine from a WR.  6'4, 230 and runs a 4.4.  I think if he busts his azz and proves he wants to play, he also could have a decent career.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, it's def a passion of mine!

Fuller wasn't an overly productive kid at VT (only one decent year), but could be a decent late round size/speed combo option.  There isn't a lot of tape out there on him, so it's tough for me to get a full read... hope to see more as we get into the post season.

Davis is a kid that a couple of posters here were high on, but had the same things to say as you and I agree... if a kid can't block or doesn't wanna give the effort in the aspect of the game, he's prob not gonna have a ton of value to BB/NC... measurables aside.

A couple of mid/late rounder WR's that I'm high on are Ryan Swope from Tex A&M, Conner Vernon from Duke and Chad Bumphis from Miss State... all appear to be good fits for NE's scheme as short area guys with good COD and the ability to create after the catch.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

im seeing fredirick rise a bit mid 2nd rd

another guard possibility is larry warford out of kentucky

6 3" 336

very mobile for pulls and screens

heres agaiisnt florida

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTVRFZiNhhU

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Fuller wasn't an overly productive kid at VT (only one decent year), but could be a decent late round size/speed combo option.  There isn't a lot of tape out there on him, so it's tough for me to get a full read... hope to see more as we get into the post season.

Davis is a kid that a couple of posters here were high on, but had the same things to say as you and I agree... if a kid can't block or doesn't wanna give the effort in the aspect of the game, he's prob not gonna have a ton of value to BB/NC... measurables aside.

A couple of mid/late rounder WR's that I'm high on are Ryan Swope from Tex A&M, Conner Vernon from Duke and Chad Bumphis from Miss State... all appear to be good fits for NE's scheme as short area guys with good COD and the ability to create after the catch.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the analysis, brother.  One of the reasons I compared Fuller to the likes of Cruz is because he too might go undrafted but he's a hard worker and I could see him making a 53 man roster and making a name for himself.  It's in the Fuller blood.  Another prospect (hopefully for Va Tech's case is a prospect for next year's draft) is his brother Kyle Fuller(Junior).  He's a stud cornerback who I'd love to see on the Pats.  His brother Kendall is a top recruit this year making him the 4th brother to go to Tech.

As for Conner Vernon, I'd like to see him with the Pats as well.  He had a decent game here in Blacksburg back in October but he had an exceptional game in Duke's bowl game against Cincy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the analysis, brother.  One of the reasons I compared Fuller to the likes of Cruz is because he too might go undrafted but he's a hard worker and I could see him making a 53 man roster and making a name for himself.  It's in the Fuller blood.  Another prospect (hopefully for Va Tech's case is a prospect for next year's draft) is his brother Kyle Fuller(Junior).  He's a stud cornerback who I'd love to see on the Pats.  His brother Kendall is a top recruit this year making him the 4th brother to go to Tech.

As for Conner Vernon, I'd like to see him with the Pats as well.  He had a decent game here in Blacksburg back in October but he had an exceptional game in Duke's bowl game against Cincy.

[/QUOTE]

No prob, man!  I'll have to check out Kyle... believe Kendall was the #1 CB in the country according to atleast one recruiting publication, def a bigtime prospect.

A couple other draft eligible Hokies that I have my eye on are RS Jr S/CB Antone Exum (6-0 225) who got his hands on a ton of footballs this year (16 PBU/5 INT) and RS Jr OLB/DE James Gayle... who looks like a assignment sound kid that has a good motor up the field and in pursuit and plays a lot of snaps out of a two-point stance.  He also has the size/length that BB likes in his edge players (6-4 265).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

im seeing fredirick rise a bit mid 2nd rd

another guard possibility is larry warford out of kentucky

6 3" 336

very mobile for pulls and screens

heres agaiisnt florida

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTVRFZiNhhU

[/QUOTE]

Warford does look like a pretty good Day 2 option, yeah.  Moves pretty well for a huge OG (listed at 343) ... also looks like a candidate to shed 10-15 pounds which I think would improve his game.  Kid plays with a good base, is strong at the POA and has that SEC experience. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The  list of LSU players that are expected to declare for the draft:

Faulk is an interesting cat, missed 2012 with a knee injury, but was LSU's LT in 2011.

Chris Faulk, offensive lineman
    – Michael Ford, running back
    – Bennie Logan, defensive lineman
    – Barkevious Mingo, defensive lineman
    – Kevin Minter, linebacker
    – Sam Montgomery, defensive lineman
    – Eric Reid, defensive back
    – Tharold Simon, defensive back
    – Spencer Ware, running back
    – Brad Wing, punter

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In a big surprise, Michigan OT Taylor Lewan has decided to return to Michigan.  He was projected as a Top 10-15 player, but you can't fault a kid for sticking around if he likes the college life/game.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/09/michigan-fends-off-nfl-kee ps-taylor-lewan/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Alabama OT DJ Fluker to declare:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/09/report-fluker-leaving-tide-for-nfl/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/08/post-bcs-loss-tyler-eifert-declares-for-the-draft/

[/QUOTE]

I would not be opposed to taking this kid if no better options are there.  With Gronk and Hern seldom healthy at the same time another quality TE would really do nicely.  I would love to see what he could do in 3 TE sets.  Can you imagine the mis-matches this would create?  I don't think the Pats are happy with Fells. 

I actually think our OL is pretty solid and deep.  Thomas and McDonald appear solid back-ups on the inside with Cannon possible at G.  I actually think OT is a bigger need than interior OL if Vollmer doesn't resign or continues to have back problems as there is nothing behind Cannon and nobody to back up Solder on the left side.  

To be clear, I am not advocating for Eifert over other choices, I'm just saying I could see how he would fit in and make our offense deeper and more lethal. 

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be opposed either but only if they were planning to move Hern to full time WR instead of drafting one. If you include Ballard they have 5 strong TE's. Though Hou and Fells aren't really pass catchers Ballard is. Hou might not be back next year but you still have a huge log jam at that position. Adding another TE wouldn't work well so you have to move one of them. Not sure I'd spend a 1st on Eifert unless you planned on running primarily a 2 TE set with Hern being a full time WR and Eifert and Gronk being your starters. 

[/QUOTE]

"unless you planned on running primarily a 2 TE set with Hern being a full time WR and Eifert and Gronk being your starters."

though theyve hardly ever been both healthy. with that and bb's penchant for tes you never know.

[/QUOTE]

I think we should select Jake Stoneburner from OSU.  he is a great blocker who is under utilized as a pass catcher but shows flashes of pass catching ability when used.  He has the size and speed BB values at the TE position. Could be a low round gem 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

i note wm gholston declared this week.

any thoughts on him as a rd 3 pick to be a good pass rusher?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

bennie logan sighting to the pats. one i hadnt seen till now. 

would love a dominat dt, just at the moment there are so many other high needs and so few picks

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

if we take the #1 pick, % chance we take the platers below

A)  little chance, moderate chance, very good chance and why. B)who would you most want barring free agent pickups? C) after your suggested free agent pickups who woudl you want?

e. ansah?

x rhodes

b. jones

t williams

k vaccaro

j jenkins

m elam

shel richardson

de hopkins

a okafor

b logan

j hunter

m hunt

e reid

j williams (partly listed casue walter still has him making it to 52)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

my new mock

byrd or goldson in fa 

one of 7 or so pass rushers in fa

welker 5 years 30 mil 12 mil guaranteed or tag

vollmer if back problem over, 4 yrs 24

arrington 1 mil give or take (worst cb in league) take it or leave it 1 year

edelman 2 mil per give or take ie 3 yrs 7-8 mil

talib 4 yrs 24 mil (behavior alows voided contract)

brady restructures till 2014 tv deal cap increase 

draft:

xavier rhodes (if ansah off board) in rd 1

larry warford in rd 2 (if frederick gone which i expect by mid 2nd rd)

whichever big outside wr with hands still available in rd 3. option b. in rd 3 speedy backer, option c.  dt

if we dont get the safety and pass rushing fa, vaccaro in rd 1 (gholston or other pass rusher in 3); or rambo in rd 3 and ansah or other pass rusher in rd1)

warford in 2

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

i note wm gholston declared this week.

any thoughts on him as a rd 3 pick to be a good pass rusher?

[/QUOTE]

I really like Gholston a lot, and have been on him since the beginning of the season. At this point I might like Hunt slightly better but Gholston would make a great option in the 3rd.

For his height he needs to gain 5-10lbs to be a DE but he's got great speed and good hand movement and is strong against the run. The issue with him is he never developed as a pass rusher. This year he was expected to just take over and kill QBs give his freakish ability but never took off. However, he's got huge mits and batted down a ton of passes. As I said before if replacing Nink at some point becomes a priority Gholston can hold his own against the run and because of his size can create havok with passing lanes but he really needs to get strong and develop so rushing moves.

As such I'd rather have Hunt if we don't go interior DL early, given Hunts rushing ability with solid run defense but Gholston in the 3rd can be a hidden gem, if he's a late bloomer

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

my new mock

byrd or goldson in fa 

Both guys will get top end contracts and not sure BB would spend starting money on a S given McCourty moves to FS and you drafted Wilson in the 2nd with Gregory under a cheap contract

one of 7 or so pass rushers in fa

Are any of those guys better than Nink in the all around game? If not then I don't see them targetting a pass rusher outside of trying to get Scott back

welker 5 years 30 mil 12 mil guaranteed or tag

5yrs 30mil? To many years for the Pats, to little money for Welker. I don't see that even coming close to getting a deal done. Other teams are going to give him much more money then 6/year with only 2.4 guaranteed/year

vollmer if back problem over, 4 yrs 24

Seems about right given his ability but also his back problems

arrington 1 mil give or take (worst cb in league) take it or leave it 1 year

Someone will give him #2 CB money given he's been a starter for the Pats. IMO he's gone after this year

edelman 2 mil per give or take ie 3 yrs 7-8 mil

seems about right given his injury history

talib 4 yrs 24 mil (behavior alows voided contract)

Don't see 4yrs honestly. I see a 2 yr prove it contract 5mil first year guareenteed. This works out best for both parties. It protects the Pats incase Talib does something stupid and for Talib it rehabs his value while he'll still be under 30 for his next contract to cash in on.

brady restructures till 2014 tv deal cap increase 

why? we have cap room and not a ton of people to resign, nor do they have cap breaker contract. Don't touch his contract unless it's an extension. The only reason to do this if they sign a max contract guy and when has BB ever done that, outside of guys on his team?

draft:

xavier rhodes (if ansah off board) in rd 1

larry warford in rd 2 (if frederick gone which i expect by mid 2nd rd)

whichever big outside wr with hands still available in rd 3. option b. in rd 3 speedy backer, option c.  dt

if we dont get the safety and pass rushing fa, vaccaro in rd 1 (gholston or other pass rusher in 3); or rambo in rd 3 and ansah or other pass rusher in rd1)

warford in 2

[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to natesubs's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think we should select Jake Stoneburner from OSU.  he is a great blocker who is under utilized as a pass catcher but shows flashes of pass catching ability when used.  He has the size and speed BB values at the TE position. Could be a low round gem 

[/QUOTE]

Also check out Cincy's Travis Kelce (assuming he makes it to Day 3)... kid has the size that BB likes in his TE's (6-6 260), is a very good blocker both inline and in space and is a very capable receiver/redzone threat.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Is Gholston on the Pats radar? (visit Gillette) And PatsEng; I think Goldson gets more money than Byrd, but yer right both will want more money than BB is willing to offer for a safety. If Chung leaves SS becomes a draft/FA priority (DE/OLB, DT, SS, WR).

Welcome back faucetman?

Does anyone know the extent of Jesse Williams' injury? Again it looks 'Bama will have plenty of players drafted in first three rounds. I'm old so I still think of round 2 as day one.

Sections
Shortcuts