***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is Gholston on the Pats radar? (visit Gillette) And PatsEng; I think Goldson gets more money than Byrd, but yer right both will want more money than BB is willing to offer for a safety. If Chung leaves SS becomes a draft/FA priority (DE/OLB, DT, SS, WR).

Welcome back faucetman?

Does anyone know the extent of Jesse Williams' injury? Again it looks 'Bama will have plenty of players drafted in first three rounds. I'm old so I still think of round 2 as day one.

[/QUOTE]

Visit's don't start until March/April timeline so we won't know but I hope he does get a look

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

VT S/CB Antone Exum will return to Blacksburg:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/09/one-of-virginia-techs-top-cbs-putting-draft-dreams-on-hold/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/09/one-of-virginia-techs-top-cbs-putting-draft-dreams-on-hold/

[/QUOTE]

Beat me to it!  I liked your analysis of Exum and Gayle in your earlier post and the great thing about Antone is his versatility.  He's actually more built to be a Safety, which is where he played last season, but due to little depth at CB, Beamer had to move him to CB this season.

Also, Exum is a great guy.  I don't know if you heard about the story where he took 3 random kids on a shopping spree from gift cards via Russel Atheltic Bowl but here's the link:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21455203/virginia-techs-antone-exum-took-three-kids-on-a-shopping-spree

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Beat me to it!  I liked your analysis of Exum and Gayle in your earlier post and the great thing about Antone is his versatility.  He's actually more built to be a Safety, which is where he played last season, but due to little depth at CB, Beamer had to move him to CB this season.

Also, Exum is a great guy.  I don't know if you heard about the story where he took 3 random kids on a shopping spree from gift cards via Russel Atheltic Bowl but here's the link:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21455203/virginia-techs-antone-exum-took-three-kids-on-a-shopping-spree

[/QUOTE]

Yeah man, had read about that... it was actually how I found out about him... awesome story of generosity... researching him as a player after.  Def looks like a player that Kraft/BB would be high on, on and off the field.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah man, had read about that... it was actually how I found out about him... awesome story of generosity... researching him as a player after.  Def looks like a player that Kraft/BB would be high on, on and off the field.

[/QUOTE]

Yupp, and your boy James Gayle just announced on his facebook that he will be returning!  I'm hoping we'll turn it around next season as I surmise that Logan Thomas will return for his Senior season as well.

Gayle: "After much thought I have decided to postpone my NFL ambitions and return to college to complete my degree and work towards another championship."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yupp, and your boy James Gayle just announced on his facebook that he will be returning!  I'm hoping we'll turn it around next season as I surmise that Logan Thomas will return for his Senior season as well.

Gayle: "After much thought I have decided to postpone my NFL ambitions and return to college to complete my degree and work towards another championship."

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, man.  I'd expect them to turn it around next year, yeah... def have some talent.  I've always been a fan of Beamer Ball.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i note wm gholston declared this week.

any thoughts on him as a rd 3 pick to be a good pass rusher?

[/QUOTE]

I really like Gholston a lot, and have been on him since the beginning of the season. At this point I might like Hunt slightly better but Gholston would make a great option in the 3rd.

For his height he needs to gain 5-10lbs to be a DE but he's got great speed and good hand movement and is strong against the run. The issue with him is he never developed as a pass rusher. This year he was expected to just take over and kill QBs give his freakish ability but never took off. However, he's got huge mits and batted down a ton of passes. As I said before if replacing Nink at some point becomes a priority Gholston can hold his own against the run and because of his size can create havok with passing lanes but he really needs to get strong and develop so rushing moves.

As such I'd rather have Hunt if we don't go interior DL early, given Hunts rushing ability with solid run defense but Gholston in the 3rd can be a hidden gem, if he's a late bloomer

[/QUOTE]

good stuff.

hunt may not make it to end of second.

plus if got hunt when would get o lineman?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

my new mock

byrd or goldson in fa 

Both guys will get top end contracts and not sure BB would spend starting money on a S given McCourty moves to FS and you drafted Wilson in the 2nd with Gregory under a cheap contract

one of 7 or so pass rushers in fa

Are any of those guys better than Nink in the all around game? If not then I don't see them targetting a pass rusher outside of trying to get Scott back

welker 5 years 30 mil 12 mil guaranteed or tag

5yrs 30mil? To many years for the Pats, to little money for Welker. I don't see that even coming close to getting a deal done. Other teams are going to give him much more money then 6/year with only 2.4 guaranteed/year

vollmer if back problem over, 4 yrs 24

Seems about right given his ability but also his back problems

arrington 1 mil give or take (worst cb in league) take it or leave it 1 year

Someone will give him #2 CB money given he's been a starter for the Pats. IMO he's gone after this year

edelman 2 mil per give or take ie 3 yrs 7-8 mil

seems about right given his injury history

talib 4 yrs 24 mil (behavior alows voided contract)

Don't see 4yrs honestly. I see a 2 yr prove it contract 5mil first year guareenteed. This works out best for both parties. It protects the Pats incase Talib does something stupid and for Talib it rehabs his value while he'll still be under 30 for his next contract to cash in on.

brady restructures till 2014 tv deal cap increase 

why? we have cap room and not a ton of people to resign, nor do they have cap breaker contract. Don't touch his contract unless it's an extension. The only reason to do this if they sign a max contract guy and when has BB ever done that, outside of guys on his team?

draft:

xavier rhodes (if ansah off board) in rd 1

larry warford in rd 2 (if frederick gone which i expect by mid 2nd rd)

whichever big outside wr with hands still available in rd 3. option b. in rd 3 speedy backer, option c.  dt

if we dont get the safety and pass rushing fa, vaccaro in rd 1 (gholston or other pass rusher in 3); or rambo in rd 3 and ansah or other pass rusher in rd1)

warford in 2

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

good stuff. our de needs to get better and i dotn see any safeties other tghan chung that can do that. we'll see. i really  hope bb adddreses.

re pass rushers, yes i think most of them are much better than nink and frees us up with our 3 picks. not all will want top $

re welker of course he wants more. i give him longevity (only 2 years guasrantee, no risk) and he can make good $ for his future, stay with brady and shot at hall of fame. if he insists on top $ i tag him as i say.

i can live with arrington walking. hes a liability whenver on the field. been saying this a couple years.

i can live with 2 years for talib, but prrefer at least 4 adn contract that allows us to dump him if his beahvior becomes too much.

yes the brady thing is if we need extra cap room though extending him would be nice as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

no one biting on teh brian kelly interview thread i posted.

brian kelly interviewed for eagles. is he really interested. 

though since he left the interview for vaccation without the job and is coming back next week for a 2nd interview with eagles, it seems like hes using them to get more money out of notre dame. 

hope he makes the leap.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below is my latest Big 32 Board:

Rd 1 DT- Jesse Williams

*S- Matt Elam

OG- Jonathan Cooper

DE/OLB- Sam Montgomery

S- Kenny Vaccaro

OL- Barrett Jones  

Rd 1-2

DT- Sylvester Williams

*CB- Logan Ryan

CB- Jordan Poyer

*WR- DeAndre Hopkins  

Rd 2

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

DE/OLB- Alex Okafor

DE/OLB- Margus Hunt

WR- Robert Woods

C/OG- Travis Frederick  

Rd 2-3

OT- Lane Johnson

OLB/DE- Brandon Jenkins

CB- Melvin White  

Rd 3

WR- Ryan Swope

CB- Micah Hyde

S- Shawn Williams

S- Zeke Motta  

Rd 4-6

WR- Conner Vernon

LB- Kiko Alonso DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore

DT- Cory Grissom

DE/OLB- Quanterus Smith

TE- Travis Kelce  

Rd 7

DL- Quinton Dial

WR Chad Bumphis

WR TJ Moe

S- John Boyett

*Denotes Underclassmen

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

Rd 1 DT- Jesse Williams

*S- Matt Elam

OG- Jonathan Cooper

DE/OLB- Sam Montgomery

S- Kenny Vaccaro

OL- Barrett Jones  

Rd 1-2

DT- Sylvester Williams

*CB- Logan Ryan

CB- Jordan Poyer

*WR- DeAndre Hopkins  

Rd 2

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

DE/OLB- Alex Okafor

DE/OLB- Margus Hunt

WR- Robert Woods

C/OG- Travis Frederick  

Rd 2-3

OT- Lane Johnson

OLB/DE- Brandon Jenkins

CB- Melvin White  

Rd 3

WR- Ryan Swope

CB- Micah Hyde

S- Shawn Williams

S- Zeke Motta  

Rd 4-6

WR- Conner Vernon

DT- Cory Grissom

DE/OLB- Quanterus Smith

TE- Travis Kelce  

Rd 7

DL- Quinton Dial

WR Chad Bumphis

WR TJ Moe

S- John Boyett

*Denotes Underclassmen

[/QUOTE]

since cooper is on your rd 1 that means you think he could make it there?

i dont think it's so, so i dont discuss him (also i like jones versatility)

i also think okafor is prob a 1-2 as you have that group above. dont se him making it to end of rd 2. you?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]

Is Gholston on the Pats radar? (visit Gillette) And PatsEng; I think Goldson gets more money than Byrd, but yer right both will want more money than BB is willing to offer for a safety. If Chung leaves SS becomes a draft/FA priority (DE/OLB, DT, SS, WR).

Welcome back faucetman?

Does anyone know the extent of Jesse Williams' injury? Again it looks 'Bama will have plenty of players drafted in first three rounds. I'm old so I still think of round 2 as day one.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Hannah,

PatsEng makes a good point regarding DEs.  A lot of people on here seem to have pass rusher as our #1 need.  I agree we need more sacks but we should get more out of Chandler Jones next year.  We are actually pretty loaded at DE if you think about it.

Jones, Ninkovich, Cunningham, Scott, Bequette

I actually think Bequette could emerge next year.  So to me we still need a play maker at SS and/or perhaps a big physical CB as Bred has been saying.  I don't see BB shelling out big money for a safety as much as I might like to land a Byrd or Goldson.  It just isn't his style.

Welker isn't going to get a long term contract.  If it was going to happen, it would of happened last year.  He will get tagged again.  You can count on that!!  So if Edelman is back we would seem set at Slot for another year but I can see the need for a big WR unless Hernandez is going to assume that role. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Welcome back faucetman?

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Hannah,

PatsEng makes a good point regarding DEs.  A lot of people on here seem to have pass rusher as our #1 need.  I agree we need more sacks but we should get more out of Chandler Jones next year.  We are actually pretty loaded at DE if you think about it.

I actually think Bequette could emerge next year.  So to me we still need a play maker at SS and/or perhaps a big physical CB as Bred has been saying.  I don't see BB shelling out big money for a safety as much as I might like to land a Byrd or Goldson.  It just isn't his style.

Welker isn't going to get a long term contract.  If it was going to happen, it would of happened last year.  He will get tagged again.  You can count on that!!  So if Edelman is back we would seem set at Slot for another year but I can see the need for a big WR unless Hernandez is going to assume that role. 

[/QUOTE]

hey faucet, great converastion. any combo of those guys cannot bring a consistent pass rush. but if we get 1 real pass ruhser in fa or draft and can pressure qb reguallry with 4, this de will elevate (along with a top cover safety and top cb to add to talib, dennard, dowling).

count me as disagreeing about not getting a big outside wr. we need a guy on the outside who can spearate. lloyd cannot. with that, the middle and short and the run opens up.

if bequette were showing as a pass rusher youd think he would have played a lot this year. at least on 3rd down. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Rd 1 DT- Jesse Williams

*S- Matt Elam

OG- Jonathan Cooper

DE/OLB- Sam Montgomery

S- Kenny Vaccaro

OL- Barrett Jones  

Rd 1-2

DT- Sylvester Williams

*CB- Logan Ryan

CB- Jordan Poyer

*WR- DeAndre Hopkins  

Rd 2

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

DE/OLB- Alex Okafor

DE/OLB- Margus Hunt

WR- Robert Woods

C/OG- Travis Frederick  

Rd 2-3

OT- Lane Johnson

OLB/DE- Brandon Jenkins

CB- Melvin White  

Rd 3

WR- Ryan Swope

CB- Micah Hyde

S- Shawn Williams

S- Zeke Motta  

Rd 4-6

WR- Conner Vernon

DT- Cory Grissom

DE/OLB- Quanterus Smith

TE- Travis Kelce  

Rd 7

DL- Quinton Dial

WR Chad Bumphis

WR TJ Moe

S- John Boyett

*Denotes Underclassmen

[/QUOTE]

i also think okafor is prob a 1-2 as you have that group above. dont se him making it to end of rd 2. you?

[/QUOTE]

Cooper should be off the board at some point in Rd 1, though I don't think he's a Top 25 lock due to position.  Kid's an awesome player, so it's possible, but not a lock, IMO.

I also think Okafor could be there at the end of Rd 2, yeah... not the athletic freak that a lot of the other edge rushers in this class are.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Rd 1 DT- Jesse Williams

*S- Matt Elam

OG- Jonathan Cooper

DE/OLB- Sam Montgomery

S- Kenny Vaccaro

OL- Barrett Jones  

Rd 1-2

DT- Sylvester Williams

*CB- Logan Ryan

CB- Jordan Poyer

*WR- DeAndre Hopkins  

Rd 2

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

DE/OLB- Alex Okafor

DE/OLB- Margus Hunt

WR- Robert Woods

C/OG- Travis Frederick  

Rd 2-3

OT- Lane Johnson

OLB/DE- Brandon Jenkins

CB- Melvin White  

Rd 3

WR- Ryan Swope

CB- Micah Hyde

S- Shawn Williams

S- Zeke Motta  

Rd 4-6

WR- Conner Vernon

DT- Cory Grissom

DE/OLB- Quanterus Smith

TE- Travis Kelce  

Rd 7

DL- Quinton Dial

WR Chad Bumphis

WR TJ Moe

S- John Boyett

*Denotes Underclassmen

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cooper should be off the board at some point in Rd 1, though I don't think he's a Top 25 lock due to position.  Kid's an awesome player, so it's possible, but not a lock, IMO.

I also think Okafor could be there at the end of Rd 2, yeah... not the athletic freak that a lot of the other edge rushers in this class are.

[/QUOTE]

agree on okafors game, just havent seen him making to to end of rd 2 in mocks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

hey all i was seeing 35 mil cap space, nate is saying he is seeing 18 everyhwere, what you got and where from?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

hey all i was seeing 35 mil cap space, nate is saying he is seeing 18 everyhwere, what you got and where from?

[/QUOTE]

I'm not much of a cap guy, but here's what's been posted... believe Faucet was the first... article references a potential $35M in cap space.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1399828-new-england-patriots-salary-cap-scenario-heading-into-2013

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins to declare... love this kid's game... awesome fit for what NE likes to do offensively, top WR on my board:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/10/deandre-hopkins-clemsons-leading-wr-to-turn-pro/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins to declare... love this kid's game... awesome fit for what NE likes to do offensively, top WR on my board:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/10/deandre-hopkins-clemsons-leading-wr-to-turn-pro/

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think Hopkins would be an awesome fit here.  Guy has speed, runs nice routes, and picks up a ton of yards after the catch.  I'd be very happy if we took him with our 1st.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

yes yes yes to hopkins if nwe chooses to pick up a wr. if not him, pick up watkins next year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

one of my wrs on top of my board too mb. thanks for update

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not much of a cap guy, but here's what's been posted... believe Faucet was the first... article references a potential $35M in cap space.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1399828-new-england-patriots-salary-cap-scenario-heading-into-2013

[/QUOTE]

thanks

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Welcome back faucetman?

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Hannah,

[/QUOTE]

I generally agree on the outside DE spot I think we are set. I think people vastly underestimate what Nink brings to the table honestly. He's a plus run defender that will get you 10-20 pressure and a half dozen sacks a year. To me that's a very well balanced all around player that provides a lot. Addditionally even if Bequette never develops Francis looks like a plus edge rusher who can move inside and Scott has provided some rush coming off the edge.

What I'm looking for is someone next to Wilfork. Love has regressed this year and Deadrick shows flashes of ability is very inconsistent. Even with Francis and Cunningham in the middle on passing plays the interior rush just isn't there. Whether through FA or in the 1st I want to find someone who you can toss next to Wilfork for 3 downs. Imo that should be priority #1 as we've seen what effect having the right interior rush can have on the secondary and D as a whole. But if that guy isn't there then I'm looking at a DB. Maybe a S maybe a CB as I think both might be needs. Not FS as I think that's McCourty's perfect spot but a SS that can cover TE's or a 3rd starting caliber CB to have in with Dennard and hopefully resigning Talib.

Then after that's taken care of looking at OL and WR

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below is my latest Big 32 Board (Updated 1/11):

Rd 1

DT- Jesse Williams

*S- Matt Elam

OG- Jonathan Cooper

DE/OLB- Sam Montgomery

DT- John Jenkins (ADDED 1/11)

S- Kenny Vaccaro

OL- Barrett Jones  

Rd 1-2

DT- Sylvester Williams

*CB- Logan Ryan

CB- Jordan Poyer

*WR- DeAndre Hopkins  

Rd 2

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

DE/OLB- Alex Okafor

DE/OLB- Margus Hunt

WR- Robert Woods

C/OG- Travis Frederick  

Rd 2-3

OT- Lane Johnson

OLB/DE- Brandon Jenkins

CB- Melvin White  

Rd 3

WR- Ryan Swope

CB- Micah Hyde

S- Shawn Williams

S- Zeke Motta  

Rd 4-6

WR- Conner Vernon

LB- Kiko Alonso

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore

DT- Cory Grissom

TE- Travis Kelce  

Rd 7

DL- Quinton Dial

WR Chad Bumphis

WR TJ Moe

S- John Boyett

*Denotes Underclassmen

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Alabama CB Dee Milliner, RB Eddie Lacy, OT DJ Fluker to declare for the draft:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/11/alabamas-dee-milliner-eddie-lacey-d-j-fluker-enter-nfl-draft/