1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Faucetman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is Gholston on the Pats radar? (visit Gillette) And PatsEng; I think Goldson gets more money than Byrd, but yer right both will want more money than BB is willing to offer for a safety. If Chung leaves SS becomes a draft/FA priority (DE/OLB, DT, SS, WR).

Welcome back faucetman?

Does anyone know the extent of Jesse Williams' injury? Again it looks 'Bama will have plenty of players drafted in first three rounds. I'm old so I still think of round 2 as day one.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Hannah,

PatsEng makes a good point regarding DEs.  A lot of people on here seem to have pass rusher as our #1 need.  I agree we need more sacks but we should get more out of Chandler Jones next year.  We are actually pretty loaded at DE if you think about it.

Jones, Ninkovich, Cunningham, Scott, Bequette

I actually think Bequette could emerge next year.  So to me we still need a play maker at SS and/or perhaps a big physical CB as Bred has been saying.  I don't see BB shelling out big money for a safety as much as I might like to land a Byrd or Goldson.  It just isn't his style.

Welker isn't going to get a long term contract.  If it was going to happen, it would of happened last year.  He will get tagged again.  You can count on that!!  So if Edelman is back we would seem set at Slot for another year but I can see the need for a big WR unless Hernandez is going to assume that role. 

[/QUOTE]

hey faucet, great converastion. any combo of those guys cannot bring a consistent pass rush. but if we get 1 real pass ruhser in fa or draft and can pressure qb reguallry with 4, this de will elevate (along with a top cover safety and top cb to add to talib, dennard, dowling).

count me as disagreeing about not getting a big outside wr. we need a guy on the outside who can spearate. lloyd cannot. with that, the middle and short and the run opens up.

if bequette were showing as a pass rusher youd think he would have played a lot this year. at least on 3rd down. 

[/QUOTE]

Bequette was seldom suited, appearing in just three games.  Part of that could be that as a rookie, he wasn't better than the guys in front of him.  We can only suit 46.  He was a pretty solid pass rusher at Arkansas but we'll see how he progresses.  BB seems to love Ninko so is there someone we can draft who would be better right out the gate?  I'm not sure about that.

As for our secondary woes, I've written about this in the past, the Pats gave up a lot of big plays and still were bad statiscally against the pass but how much of this can be blamed on scheme?  We were 9th in giving up points and it seems this has been a hallmark of BB teams for quite a few years now.

If you look during the TB/BB era, the Pats have ranked lower in giving up passing yards than in giving up points every year except 2002.  It really is incredible.  I always thought the primary blame in recent years was personnel, not able to stop the pass but if you look back since 2001, you'll see that we've had some struggles against the pass averaging 19th against the pass but 8th in points allowed.  So I think the problem is our offense.  We score so many points and get ahead in so many games that teams are forced to pass against us, thus leading to poor passing defense statistically.

Look at how the rankings have been.

NFL RANK     Year  Def Pass Yds    Def Points   2001 24 6 2002 11 17 2003 15 1 2004 17 3 2005 31 17 2006 12 2 2007 6 4 2008 11 8 2009 12 5 2010 30 8 2011 31 15 2012 29 9

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

What is up with tables?  Can't use them anymore?  Anyway, I was showing that we ranked in the bottom half in the NFL against the pass 6 of the last 12 years but only twice in points allowed.  The two times where we ranked in the bottom half in points allowed were in '02 and '05 where we ranked 17th both years. 

So, the point is, our high powered offense is to blame for our defense giving up high passing yards more so than scheme or talent.  It might be that it could be tough to fix this until we start scoring less, lol.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Further to this, look at 2011.

GB last against the pass, first in scoring

NE 31st against the pass, 3rd in scoring

NO 30th against the pass, 2nd in scoring

NYG 29th against the pass, 9th in scoring.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

We could be right back in the same boat as we have been in year's past if Talib isn't signed. Meaning, cb remains a priority and one bb might look to draft again in round 1.

yes, Dennard has played well, and if you pencil him in as 1 starter, assuming bb keeps mccourty at safety because this is his best position, and Arrington/cole used in the slot and in nickel dime, we have 1 cb to fill and need a legit starting quality one. signing Talib is a must. If not, I,will look for bb to go cb early. Xavier Rhodes anyone? Has Talib size and god knows we need a big cb to match up against those big wr's.

the whole welker situation is interesting too. if we franchise him again, which I think we will, that ties up a ton of cash. With bb bringing on Ballard, assuming he is ready next year, could this make Wes expendable? Basically we could move Hern, Edelman or demps to slot. Hern would probably give us the least drop off, but still is not welker. However, it saves a ton of cash bb could invest back in the defense. He could then go grab Byrd, gholdson, or maybe a fa DT, or spread it around a bit. 

I know we have othcon contract concerns, but those 2 I think will dictate what bb does. I see vollmer resigned, and I don't think we go OL early in this draft. Who else are priority resigns?

so, if we don't resign Talib, I think bb goes cb early once again. My pick is Rhodes, or maybe a trade up. 

At the end of the day, bb franchises Wes for another year. Wes just makes this offense go, and bb needs another year to figure it out. I could however see the pats draft a WR to start the grooming process and take over branch in year 1. So, that would leave us with Wes, Lloyd, Hern, Gronk, Ballard, demps, possibly Edelman, and a draftee to groom. 

Bb doesn't shell out cash for a safety In FA. At least not Byrd or gholdson money. Gregory has been underwhelming, but okay. wilson moves to 3rd on depth chart with Chung departure. This all depends on what they think of Gregory going forward. If he isn't in the plans next year, and Wilson is capable of starting next to mccourty, then safety moves down on priority list But not too far. They still need a capable backup or two. 

Like PatsEng and others, I want bb to beef up the interior of the DL. add a big body next to Vince and use love and deaderick as quality depth. As much as I want bb to draft a DL, I think he passes. I think he will grab some depth in FA or later rounds of the draft, but will ride love and deaderick into next year Starting next to Vince. If we had a few more picks this year in early rounds, I would actually look to package and move up high for Star Lotelei. He next to vinice would be unstoppable, plus, he is perfect to replace Vince when he hangs it up. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We could be right back in the same boat as we have been in year's past if Talib isn't signed. Meaning, cb remains a priority and one bb might look to draft again in round 1.

yes, Dennard has played well, and if you pencil him in as 1 starter, assuming bb keeps mccourty at safety because this is his best position, and Arrington/cole used in the slot and in nickel dime, we have 1 cb to fill and need a legit starting quality one. signing Talib is a must. If not, I,will look for bb to go cb early. Xavier Rhodes anyone? Has Talib size and god knows we need a big cb to match up against those big wr's.

the whole welker situation is interesting too. if we franchise him again, which I think we will, that ties up a ton of cash. With bb bringing on Ballard, assuming he is ready next year, could this make Wes expendable? Basically we could move Hern, Edelman or demps to slot. Hern would probably give us the least drop off, but still is not welker. However, it saves a ton of cash bb could invest back in the defense. He could then go grab Byrd, gholdson, or maybe a fa DT, or spread it around a bit. 

I know we have othcon contract concerns, but those 2 I think will dictate what bb does. I see vollmer resigned, and I don't think we go OL early in this draft. Who else are priority resigns?

so, if we don't resign Talib, I think bb goes cb early once again. My pick is Rhodes, or maybe a trade up. 

At the end of the day, bb franchises Wes for another year. Wes just makes this offense go, and bb needs another year to figure it out. I could however see the pats draft a WR to start the grooming process and take over branch in year 1. So, that would leave us with Wes, Lloyd, Hern, Gronk, Ballard, demps, possibly Edelman, and a draftee to groom. 

Bb doesn't shell out cash for a safety In FA. At least not Byrd or gholdson money. Gregory has been underwhelming, but okay. wilson moves to 3rd on depth chart with Chung departure. This all depends on what they think of Gregory going forward. If he isn't in the plans next year, and Wilson is capable of starting next to mccourty, then safety moves down on priority list But not too far. They still need a capable backup or two. 

Like PatsEng and others, I want bb to beef up the interior of the DL. add a big body next to Vince and use love and deaderick as quality depth. As much as I want bb to draft a DL, I think he passes. I think he will grab some depth in FA or later rounds of the draft, but will ride love and deaderick into next year Starting next to Vince. If we had a few more picks this year in early rounds, I would actually look to package and move up high for Star Lotelei. He next to vinice would be unstoppable, plus, he is perfect to replace Vince when he hangs it up. 

[/QUOTE]

Morning, PL.

Or atleast on Day 2… There’s some good talent and depth in this CB class if they’re looking to address the need, below are a few kids that I like:

ü  Rutgers CB Logan Ryan,

ü  Oregon St CB Jordan Poyer

ü  Rhodes as you and Bred have metioned,

ü  Louisiana Lafayette CB Melvin White (6-3 191) (Ricky’s boy)

ü  Iowa CB Micah Hyde (PE also likes)

I too am of the belief that they need to retain Welker, franchising if you have to, he’s just too important to the offense.  I’d also like to see them draft and develop a kid, below are a few kids that I feel are great fits for what NE likes to do offensively and are high on my board:

ü  Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins

ü  USC WR Robert Woods

ü  Tex A&M WR Ryan Swope

ü  Duke WR Conner Vernon

I’d love to see them address DT with one of the kids below in Rds 1-2 :

ü  Alabama DT Jesse Williams

ü  Georgia DT John Jenkins (PE’s Boy)

ü  UNC DT Sylvester Williams

If they go the S route on Day 1-2, give me one of the below:

ü  Florida S Matt Elam

ü  Texas S Kenny Vaccaro

ü  Georgia S Shawn Williams

ü  South Carolina S DeVonte Holloman

·         Eric Reid and Philip Thomas are also intriguing, but are a little too inconsistent in the tackling dept. for me.

Bottom line is, I think there’s some solid depth/talent as potential positions of need if NE decides to go this route.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Wanted to bring a new name to the board.

South Carolina S DeVonte Holloman is a kid that I think could be a real asset to an NFL team.  As a 6-2 235 S, he has LB size and DB movement ability and matches up well against big athletic TE's, he's also very good vs. the run with the ability to take on/stack/shed blockers to make a play... I also like his instincts (around the football a lot), his ability to play down in the box and his quality SEC experience, ranking in South Carolina's top 5 in tackes that last (3) seasons, but playing since he was a freshman.

Could be a solid pick on Day 2, maybe early Day 3.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

South Carolina S DeVonte Holloman is a kid that I think could be a real asset to an NFL team.  As a 6-2 235 S, he has LB size and DB movement ability and matches up well against big athletic TE's, he's also very good vs. the run with the ability to take on/stack/shed blockers to make a play... I also like his instincts (around the football a lot), his ability to play down in the box and his quality SEC experience, ranking in South Carolina's top 5 in tackes that last (3) seasons, but playing since he was a freshman.

[/QUOTE]

I have not noticed him, but if he is as you describe, the I hope they take interest in the kid. We talked about Ogletree a long time ago and then recently another quick LB. This could be an alternative route to addressing that need for someone strong enough and fast enough to deal with a TE. Good thing I still have So Carolina games on the DVR. I will check him out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have not noticed him, but if he is as you describe, the I hope they take interest in the kid. We talked about Ogletree a long time ago and then recently another quick LB. This could be an alternative route to addressing that need for someone strong enough and fast enough to deal with a TE. Good thing I still have So Carolina games on the DVR. I will check him out.

[/QUOTE]

Cool, leme know what you see.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Lifer,

Welker is going to be tagged again, I'm 99.5% sure.  He could be tagged in 2013 and 2014 and still earn only an average of $12.5MM which is far less than he could get on the open market.  So, I'm considering Welker back in the fold for the next two years, next year certainly.

After Welker the top F/As are as follows.  The ones not listed can be replaced and are not critical:

Vollmer

Talib

Woodhead

Edelman

Chung

Arrington

Chung is restricted so it may be cost effective to keep him. If we keep Chung we have Ebner, McCourty and Greggory.  If we add an Elam or Reid or someone in the draft then one of these guys becomes expendible.

As you mention Ballard and Demps will be back but so will Dowling (who you didn't mention).  We need to keep Talib but hopefully Dowling can finally stay healthy but I'm not counting on it.  I agree that a big physical corner like Rhodes would make a ton of sense but I don't know that he makes it to the back of round 1.

I actually think for the first time that I've been following the draft that we don't have any obvious holes assuming we get our top guys back and can really go BPA this year with our top 3 picks.  This makes predicting even more impossible than ever.

We are not drafting for immediate starters, rather for depth and the future.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

here is my updated mock. let me know what you guys think.  check out another guy who i think BB might like Markus Wheaton. 

2013 NFL draft

1st round - €“Trade 1st  to Cincinnati for 2 second round picks 37, 51

2nd Round – #37- (from trade of 1st) Margus Hunt, DE, SMU (hopefully he is still here, if not Kenny Vaccaro S, texas)

-#51 (from trade of 1st) Travis Frederick, OG/OC, Wisconsin

Our 2nd - Trade down into an extra 3rd and 6th round picks
    3rd Round -
    Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State
    3rd round (from trade)- Bennie Logan, DT, LSU

4th round (probable compensatory pick for anderson) - Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU

6th round (from trade) - Graham Pocic, C, Illinois

5th round(probable compensatory pick for BJGE/koppen/ohrnberger/carter/sterling moore) – Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford

7th round - Braden Hansen, G, BYU
    7th Round - Ron Powell*, OLB, Florida  or Jake stoneburner, TE, OSU

UDFA-Zach Boren, FB, Ohio State (also plays ILB)

Lucas Reed, TE, New Mexico

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/01/markus-wheaton-scouting-report.html

Prospect: Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State
    Height: 6’0″
    Weight: 182
    Grade: 6.8  (Grading Scale)

Scouting Report:

Athleticism
    + Outstanding straight line and vertical speed, one of the fastest WR in the Pac-12
    + Ran a 10.75 100m for the Beavers track team, translates his track speed to football speed
    + Good burst off the snap, eats up cushion and gets onto the DB quickly
    + Is used on reverses, screens and sweeps at least twice a game, fast enough to outrun the angle on reverses
    + A playmaker with the ball in his hands, consistently makes the big play
    + Has a second gear to separate while ball is in the air
    + Good height and length for a receiver
    + Displays good agility when running route and making catch in coverage
    + Runs hard and decisively with the ball in his hands, can make a move without losing momentum
    - Lacks strength, could manage to add 5-10 pounds to better deal with press/physical CB
    - Frame isn’t built to take contact well
    - Doesn’t appear to be a great leaper

Catching
    + Tracks the ball really well in the air, locates and can make the over the shoulder catch
    + Reliable hands, appears to be a natural catcher who doesn’t fit the ball in
    + Does a good job of catching the ball while falling away from the defender
    + Runs through the ball, uses his hands to catch the ball and get moving in one motion
    + Adjusts really well while the ball is in the air, very good awareness of position
    + Knows where he is on the field and gets his feet down in bounds while tracking the ball
    - At times he waits for the ball to come to him instead of working back to it
    - Will cradle the ball and let it get into his body, especially when open

Route Running
    + Runs outstanding deep routes, with the ability to separate in the final steps while ball is in the air
    + Creates separation in and out of his breaks, due to short area burst
    + Great burst after the initial catch can turn it back on and get to top speed quickly
    + Big weapon on bubble screens and quick passes, can create yards after the catch
    + Has the ability to be a threat at all levels of the passing game
    + Can out run man coverage on crossing routes
    + Recognizes zone coverage and will tempo his routes to find the soft spot
    - Too much wasted movement at the top of his routes
    - Routes lack precision as he relies mainly on his speed to get open at this level
    - Will fade and round some of this routes, giving the DB position on him
    - Can be taken out of his route by a stronger defender

Intangibles
    + Development is on the right track, got better and more polished each season and really broke out as Senior
    + Was able to maintain a high level of production, while the Beavers changed QB throughout the year
    + Doesn’t give up on plays, will try to get out in front of ball carrier and block
    + Voted as a team captain, by all accounts one of the hardest workers on the team

Blocking
    + Extremely willing to blocker, looks for a defender and will give good effort to hold his block
    + Will get out in front of teammate and try to block in open field
    + Not afraid to engage bigger defender and will throw his body around
    - Really poor blocking technique, fails to sustain his blocks and can be overpowered
    - Blocks with his hands to much, tries to dance with the defender

Overview:
    While Wheaton isn’t one of the big name WR in the 2013 NFL Draft, he is one of the biggest play-makers. He has outstanding speed and uses it to stretch the field vertically. He has shown a very good ability to track the ball and make adjustments while it’s in the air. The Beavers tried to get the ball into Wheaton’s hands as much as possible, using him on sweeps, reverses and screens. I see a similar type usage in the NFL.

Wheaton does need to get stronger and clean up his route running, especially at the top of his routes. He has natural speed that is tough to find and the ability to separate from the defender. In terms of draft stock I think it’s likely that Wheaton is a day two pick based on his speed and predictability. He has developed nicely while at Oregon State, exhibiting improvement each year, at the very least he will provide a team with a vertical threat with reliable hands at the next level.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Looks like Brian Kelly is staying at ND! Smart move!!

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8838466/brian-kelly-remain-coach-notre-dame-fighting-irish

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to natesubs's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Scouting Report:

Athleticism
    + Outstanding straight line and vertical speed, one of the fastest WR in the Pac-12
    + Ran a 10.75 100m for the Beavers track team, translates his track speed to football speed
    + Is used on reverses, screens and sweeps at least twice a game, fast enough to outrun the angle on reverses
    + Runs hard and decisively with the ball in his hands, can make a move without losing momentum
    - Lacks strength, could manage to add 5-10 pounds to better deal with press/physical CB

Catching
    + Tracks the ball really well in the air, locates and can make the over the shoulder catch
    + Runs through the ball, uses his hands to catch the ball and get moving in one motion
    + Adjusts really well while the ball is in the air, very good awareness of position
    + Knows where he is on the field and gets his feet down in bounds while tracking the ball

Route Running
    + Runs outstanding deep routes, with the ability to separate in the final steps while ball is in the air
    + Great burst after the initial catch can turn it back on and get to top speed quickly
    + Big weapon on bubble screens and quick passes, can create yards after the catch
    - Routes lack precision as he relies mainly on his speed to get open at this level

Intangibles
    + Development is on the right track, got better and more polished each season and really broke out as Senior
    + Was able to maintain a high level of production, while the Beavers changed QB throughout the year
    + Doesn’t give up on plays, will try to get out in front of ball carrier and block
    + Voted as a team captain, by all accounts one of the hardest workers on the team

Blocking
    + Extremely willing to blocker, looks for a defender and will give good effort to hold his block
    - Really poor blocking technique, fails to sustain his blocks and can be overpowered

Overview:
    While Wheaton isn’t one of the big name WR in the 2013 NFL Draft, he is one of the biggest play-makers. He has outstanding speed and uses it to stretch the field vertically. He has shown a very good ability to track the ball and make adjustments while it’s in the air. The Beavers tried to get the ball into Wheaton’s hands as much as possible, using him on sweeps, reverses and screens. I see a similar type usage in the NFL.

Wheaton does need to get stronger and clean up his route running, especially at the top of his routes. He has natural speed that is tough to find and the ability to separate from the defender. In terms of draft stock I think it’s likely that Wheaton is a day two pick based on his speed and predictability. He has developed nicely while at Oregon State, exhibiting improvement each year, at the very least he will provide a team with a vertical threat with reliable hands at the next level.

[/QUOTE]

I like

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to natesubs's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Scouting Report:

Athleticism

Catching

Route Running

Intangibles

Blocking

Overview:

[/QUOTE]

I like the Wheaton idea... looks like a good fit for their offense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

here is my updated mock. let me know what you guys think.  check out another guy who i think BB might like Markus Wheaton. 

2013 NFL draft

2nd Round – #37- (from trade of 1st) Margus Hunt, DE, SMU (hopefully he is still here, if not Kenny Vaccaro S, texas)

3rd Round -

4th round (probable compensatory pick for anderson) - Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU

5th round(probable compensatory pick for BJGE/koppen/ohrnberger/carter/sterling moore) – Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford

[/QUOTE]

Nice mock draft Nate! I was curious about the compensatory picks, I didn't think we'd get anything lower then a 5th or 6th for the FA's we lost. Anyone know more about this?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey MB, I like how you added this kid! I saw him a bit this year and was impressed. Could be that S/LB hybrid that BB has always been looking for 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to natesubs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

2013 NFL draft

3rd Round -

[/QUOTE]

Nice mock draft Nate! I was curious about the compensatory picks, I didn't think we'd get anything lower then a 5th or 6th for the FA's we lost. Anyone know more about this?

[/QUOTE]

the reason i am guessing 2 higher picks is because both anderson and BJGE got sizeable contracts and our only big signing was lloyd who wasn't terribly expensive.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i have rhodes AND talib

AND a fa safety and de pass rusher (7 or so to choose from)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

lifer looks like you havent been staying uo on the thread. 

been posting rhodes as teh pick we should get for a few weeks (if we follow my plan on de and safety in fa).

looks like you have the same ideas i posted (goldson or byrd, rhodes, big outside wr in draft in draft, and interior o line), except i see pass ruashing de as higher need than dt (though id love that too obviously).

did you really come to all these same conclusions ive been posting here?

i guess keen minds think alike.

i also started with dt as one of needs, but noit enough picks to get that too. so i conclude same as you, love dead, adn maybe a scrap heap pickup. 

at an earlier point i too advocated moving up with 2014 picks. still open to that. 

basically want to draft 3 studs i dont care about having less picks next year. we already are 2nd youndest def  in nfl.

howeva, star looks to be picked between in teh first handful of picks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Morning, PL.

Or atleast on Day 2… There’s some good talent and depth in this CB class if they’re looking to address the need, below are a few kids that I like:

I too am of the belief that they need to retain Welker, franchising if you have to, he’s just too important to the offense.  I’d also like to see them draft and develop a kid, below are a few kids that I feel are great fits for what NE likes to do offensively and are high on my board:

ü  USC WR Robert Woods

ü  Tex A&M WR Ryan Swope

ü  Duke WR Conner Vernon

ü  Florida S Matt Elam

ü  Texas S Kenny Vaccaro

·         Eric Reid and Philip Thomas are also intriguing, but are a little too inconsistent in the tackling dept. for me.

Bottom line is, I think there’s some solid depth/talent as potential positions of need if NE decides to go this route.

[/QUOTE]

yeah but wew only have 1 rd 1 pick

jenkins was my guy long before pe chimed in on him. 

its just my priorities dont allow me to get the dt too (along with the big, fast  tough cb in rd 1)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lifer,

Welker is going to be tagged again, I'm 99.5% sure.  He could be tagged in 2013 and 2014 and still earn only an average of $12.5MM which is far less than he could get on the open market.  So, I'm considering Welker back in the fold for the next two years, next year certainly.

After Welker the top F/As are as follows.  The ones not listed can be replaced and are not critical:

Vollmer

Talib

Woodhead

Edelman

Chung

Arrington

Chung is restricted so it may be cost effective to keep him. If we keep Chung we have Ebner, McCourty and Greggory.  If we add an Elam or Reid or someone in the draft then one of these guys becomes expendible.

As you mention Ballard and Demps will be back but so will Dowling (who you didn't mention).  We need to keep Talib but hopefully Dowling can finally stay healthy but I'm not counting on it.  I agree that a big physical corner like Rhodes would make a ton of sense but I don't know that he makes it to the back of round 1.

I actually think for the first time that I've been following the draft that we don't have any obvious holes assuming we get our top guys back and can really go BPA this year with our top 3 picks.  This makes predicting even more impossible than ever.

We are not drafting for immediate starters, rather for depth and the future.

[/QUOTE]

chung i have as gone, arringotn maybe too, or very low 1 mil type (one of worst cbsin league).

ther than that im in agreement 

i offewr wes 5 yerars about 6 mil per and hall of fame opportunity (along with staying wiht his buddy brady and super bowls) that or tag.

faucet, 13 ids the last year we can tag welker

i dont mention dowling becasue he si good for depth but at this point you cant count on him being healthy and being in top form. if hes healthy and palying great at the end of the year, great we have depth. 

great conversation man!

i disagree with your last thought.

i only want to draft starters, why im willing to move up if need be with a 2014 pick

after my free agents byrd/goldson, de pass rusher, maybe sped lb

rhodes

whover is left of the big outside wrs, o line frederick or my backup.

if no fa's 

vaccaro in rd 1, de (whover is left hunt?) in 2, o line in 3.

or

or de ansah in rd 1, o line in 2, rambo in 3.

(i lose the big cb and the wr option if no free agents so i dont like that)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

waIn response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Morning, PL.

ü  USC WR Robert Woods

ü  Tex A&M WR Ryan Swope

ü  Duke WR Conner Vernon

ü  Florida S Matt Elam

ü  Texas S Kenny Vaccaro

[/QUOTE]

its just my priorities dont allow me to get the dt too (along with the big, fast  tough cb in rd 1)

[/QUOTE]

I know they only have (1) Rd 1 pick and I still have Jesse Williams at the top of my board, followed by Elam, Cooper, Montgomery, Vaccaro and Jones.  Rhodes is another kid that I'd be happy with on day 1 or 2.

Believe 7393 was the first to put Jenkins on his "Want List", but PE has talked him up the most, starting back at the end of Sept.... BTW, know where 7393's been?

I'm still of the belief that NE can go with BPA in Rd 1, don't have a clear position of priority at this point.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

Looks like Brian Kelly is staying at ND! Smart move!!

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8838466/brian-kelly-remain-coach-notre-dame-fighting-irish

[/QUOTE]

Not gonnay lie, this was stressing me out, ha.  I was already thinking about who they'd target if he were to leave for Philly and outside of their own coordinators (DC Bob Diaco / OC Chuck Martin), Charlie Strong  was the first name that came to mind... he's done an awesome job at Louisville, can recruite the south and coached at ND from 95-98.  I also had Vandy's James Franklin high on my list as he's done very good job there and has plenty of experience recruiting to a school with education restrictions.

Glad BK is staying, can't wait for 2013!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey MB, I like how you added this kid! I saw him a bit this year and was impressed. Could be that S/LB hybrid that BB has always been looking for 

[/QUOTE]

Hey man, yeah, def like that the kid has proven his ability as a full-time safety at that size.  Agreed on the hybrid part.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

waIn response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Morning, PL.

ü  USC WR Robert Woods

ü  Tex A&M WR Ryan Swope

ü  Duke WR Conner Vernon

ü  Florida S Matt Elam

ü  Texas S Kenny Vaccaro

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I know they only have (1) Rd 1 pick and I still have Jesse Williams at the top of my board, followed by Elam, Cooper, Montgomery, Vaccaro and Jones.  Rhodes is another kid that I'd be happy with on day 1 or 2.

Believe 7393 was the first to put Jenkins on his "Want List", but PE has talked him up the most, starting back at the end of Sept.... BTW, know where 7393's been?

I'm still of the belief that NE can go with BPA in Rd 1, don't have a clear position of priority at this point.

[/QUOTE]

hear ya. gues i may have missed that.  thought i was the only one till recently.

thanks for setting record st8

no i havent seen 73 for a little while

thought you were saying you wanted both and (ie one of each grouping)