***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

awesome theyre all back.

phew. that woulda sucked if all those posts were gone.

nfl.com just got 4 mocks up.

there are a lot of surprises. a lot of players we are linking are a lot higher than we predicted.

but they have like 1 qbin rd 1.

2 have ansah goen in top half rd 1, other 2 in reach at 25.

2 hAVE rhodes gone at 13, 2 dont have him in teh 1st rd

1 has frederick at 26!

1 has carradine at pats pick (31)

2 have floyd gone by 28.

and on.

some surprises.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

by the way, havent seen comment on my mentioning of syl williams or floyd as dts to bring pressure up the middle as some have said we need. these guys are penetrating dt's who could rush the passer aas opposed to jenkins or williams who are more cloggers. 

if we had 2 rd 1's i could see it. but it's not my top  priority. not that i dont see it as a need.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Yeah, I figured both players saw a lot of doubles and you're right, You can't double VW, CJ and another stud DT.  But I think Love has come on and not sure we gain all that much near term.  Deaderick will be back, not sure about Brace but we have some big bodies.  BB will have to decide if one are there at 32 which I'm not sure they will be vs. going back 7.

[/QUOTE]

Faucetman, Brace already been cut.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

On the topic of "Players that don't have elite physical measurables that I'd love to see in Foxboro", there is a new player at the top of my list.

Syracuse S Shamarko Thomas- Kid measured in at the Shrine Game at a shade under 5-9 (5087 to be exacty), but weighed in at 217 pounds... 217 pounds!

What I like even more is that he's prob a 4.3 kid and possibly the most physical player that I've seen on tape this year.  He's instinctive, ultra-aggressive, can click/close quickly, takes good angles to the football, is one of the better tacklers that I've seen from the S position (very good in the open field) and will look to tear your head off or at the very least dislodge the football from you... def a Bob Sanders type player... a 5-9, football seeking missile that's programmed with direct cooridinance to seek a destroy... alright, I'm getting ahead of myself a bit, but this kid has me excited... if he's (2) inches taller, he's off the board in Rd 1, IMO, but he'll prob be around on Day 2 due to his height.  He's gonna make one teams GM/Coach look very smart.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

In response to Army2LT's comment:

There was alot of talk during the playoff game against the Texans about the Patriots tempo.  The announcers were saying how the NFL is a copycat league and more teams will try to run the same hurry up offense like the Pats.  

If that's the case, which types of defensive players will be in higher demand?  More versitile players?  Faster and lighter?  I'm kind of curious to see how this will change the draft.

Hybrid guys imo. MB mentioned Devonte Holloman who could be good to play LB/S. If teams try to run the no-huddle looking for good matchups to prevent the D from substituting then guys that have versatility will have a lot of value

I don't think half the league is good/smart enough to run it effectively and they don't have the luxury of a having a Gronk and Hernandez who are great recievers and create matchups problems. I could see a run on TE's in this draft with a lot of them going early

Holloman measured in at 6014-246 at the shrine game, that's huge... def curious to see what he'll run the combine!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

+1. Jenkins won't run around anyone but has the ability to push them back. What do you think of his work ethic? I don't want another Haynesworth here (though I doubt we'll ever see someone that lazy in the league ever again) I think he could be in a little better shape and lose some weight without it affecting his game

From watching him, his motor isn't an issue to me. He tries hard ever play and doesn't give up on plays unless they are way downfield. His issue is conditioning. He just doesn't have the conditioning to last on 3 downs. Right now he's a force because of his bulk and I think the majority of his college career was building and maintinaing the bulk to be an anchor. Yes he could stand to lose 10 lbs and get better conditioned but having Wilfork their to help show the guy proper conditioning is a huge for him. With proper conditioning and Love coming in to spell both on occassion and the usual rotation of speed rushers on long 3rd downs BB tosses out I don't see it being a big issue

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Dion Jordan: Ducks LB Dion Jordan to have surgery (labrum) Dion Jordan - DL - OR - Jan. 8 - 11:33 am et

Oregon senior OLB Dion Jordan will undergo surgery to repair a torn labrum, according to SI's Tony Pauline.
    We had feared this news, and now Jordan is almost certainly going to miss the Senior Bowl. Many players have historically missed postseason events due to a number of reasons and still earned first-round selections, and Jordan could do the same. Still, his versatility in space and as a rusher would've been fun to see in Mobile. Besides this recent injury, Jordan does not have a long medical report during his time at Oregon. Jan. 8 - 11:33 am et
    Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter

Not sure if this was already mentioned.  I wonder if this will make him drop.  He will miss the Senior Bowl not sure about the combine.

Thanks for the heads up, JJ.  I don't see it having a huge effect on his draft position, still expect him to come off the board in the top 15-20.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Army2LT's comment:

There was alot of talk during the playoff game against the Texans about the Patriots tempo.  The announcers were saying how the NFL is a copycat league and more teams will try to run the same hurry up offense like the Pats.  

If that's the case, which types of defensive players will be in higher demand?  More versitile players?  Faster and lighter?  I'm kind of curious to see how this will change the draft.

I think it calls for more versatility (something BB already places a ton of value in) and better conditioning from defensive players, though at the end of the day, it's still all about who wins the battle at the LOS, if you can run plays quickly, but you can't block me, then the speed at which you run plays really means little.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

by the way, havent seen comment on my mentioning of syl williams or floyd as dts to bring pressure up the middle as some have said we need. these guys are penetrating dt's who could rush the passer aas opposed to jenkins or williams who are more cloggers. 

if we had 2 rd 1's i could see it. but it's not my top  priority. not that i dont see it as a need.

Sylvester Williams is the #3, or you could even call him the #2B DT on my draft board, so I'm a fan.. big active kid, athletic, good burst off the snap, active hands, great effort... he's primarily a 43 DT in UNC's scheme and while he's put up some good sack/TFL #'s, it's not really indicative of what he'd do in NE where DT's are expected to eat blocks, control gaps, push the pocket from the inside, etc.   Again, big Vince is as good a 34 NT or interior DT as their is and his career high in sacks is 3.5. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Time to add a new name to the WR discussion:

South Carolina WR Ace Sanders (5-8 175) will be declaring for the draft.  This kid has elite quicks, fluidity and COD directions skills, looks like a legit 4.4 player, is a bigtime weapon with the ball in his hands and can impact as a PR man, (ranked 6th nationally with 15.32 per PR, to go along with 2 TD's which tied for 2nd).  He looks like a good fit for what NE likes to do offensively... I'd project him as a Day 2 kid at this point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Chip Kelly to Eagles....

What are implications for how they might draft? Expectation is for him to implement his uptempo offense. Does he have the right personnel in the current team? 

Is Foles the right QB (I am assuming Vick is out and Edwards does not show promise)? Kelly's QBs in Oregon like throwing bullets and have very good legs. Where does he get the right QB? Does he draft one? Which round? And which QB?

Does he have the receivers and RB? 

Til this news I was on the camp believing only one QB will be taken in the first round. I believe Alex Smith will be available. So could Rivers (if SDC is smart enough to find a deal for him). 

This news could change the draft dynamic. Smith does not come across to me as the type of QB who could run Kelly's offense. Neither could any of the potential FAs. I think he will have to find his second QB (next to Foles) in the draft.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I think if they go after a DT in the draft or FA, it should be a pro-bowl caliber type guy. I like what Love, Deadrick and Francis all bring. So that gives you 4 Dts including VW. Love is the heaviest of those 3 (listed at 315 but I'm guessing he's heavier than that, 325 maybe? If they add a stud 340+ and put him next to Vince, who is going to bother to run up the middle on them anymore? They could both push the pocket back while CJ and RN rush the outside and it would trap the QB. I think a pressure can be just as good as a sack in some cases because it'll set someone else up to get a sack or force the QB to make a dumb decision

I agree, unless it is one heck of a stud DT who can do better than Love/Deaderick/Brace or be the next Wilfork, I'm not sure this is a place I would spend our top pick.  Let's face it, there won't be the next VW at pick 30-32.  It would take Williams or Jenkins probably a year or two to be as good as Kyle Love, IMO.  Both players will likely be gone anyway.

Because of my past point that our secondary and the pass coverage aspect of our D will always be tested most because of our high powered offense usually getting out ahead to big leads forcing teams to pass, our emphasis should be on strengthening this part of our defense.  Also, I've shown in past posts that BB drafts as much for contractual reasons and player age as he does "need", a detailed study of who we are likely to lose over the next 1-2 years would be helpful.  A stable roster that is financially responsible are hallmarks of the BB and BK era.

Guys we have with 10+ years of experience counting 2013 are:

Tom Brady (14)

Deon Branch (12)

Brandon Llyod (11)

Vince Wilfork (10)

Tracy White (10)

Niko Koutouvides (10)

Wes Welker (10)

Like we saw when we drafted 2 TEs and 2 RBs in a single year based on age and contractual issues, we could see us actually spend two picks on WRs this year assuming we don't do anything in F/A considering we have 3 WRs with 10+ years experience and one who will be a F/A.  WR is perhaps the most unstable position in terms of roster stability on the team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

I think if they go after a DT in the draft or FA, it should be a pro-bowl caliber type guy. I like what Love, Deadrick and Francis all bring. So that gives you 4 Dts including VW. Love is the heaviest of those 3 (listed at 315 but I'm guessing he's heavier than that, 325 maybe? If they add a stud 340+ and put him next to Vince, who is going to bother to run up the middle on them anymore? They could both push the pocket back while CJ and RN rush the outside and it would trap the QB. I think a pressure can be just as good as a sack in some cases because it'll set someone else up to get a sack or force the QB to make a dumb decision

I agree, unless it is one heck of a stud DT who can do better than Love/Deaderick/Brace or be the next Wilfork, I'm not sure this is a place I would spend our top pick.  Let's face it, there won't be the next VW at pick 30-32.  It would take Williams or Jenkins probably a year or two to be as good as Kyle Love, IMO.  Both players will likely be gone anyway.

Because of my past point that our secondary and the pass coverage aspect of our D will always be tested most because of our high powered offense usually getting out ahead to big leads forcing teams to pass, our emphasis should be on strengthening this part of our defense.  Also, I've shown in past posts that BB drafts as much for contractual reasons and player age as he does "need", a detailed study of who we are likely to lose over the next 1-2 years would be helpful.  A stable roster that is financially responsible are hallmarks of the BB and BK era.

Guys we have with 10+ experience heading counting 2013 are:

Tom Brady (14)

Deon Branch (12)

Brandon Llyod (11)

Vince Wilfork (10)

Tracy White (10)

Niko Koutouvides (10)

Wes Welker (10)

Like we saw when we drafted 2 TEs and 2 RBs in a single year based on age and contractual issues, we could see us actually spend two picks on WRs this year assuming we don't do anything in F/A considering we have 3 WRs with 10+ years experience and one who will be a F/A.  WR is perhaps the most unstable position in terms of roster stability on the team.

I think Williams starts Day 1 if they take him.

In regards to WR I agree that there is some potential instability there due to age and with WW (hopefully they atleast tag him) and Edelman both being FA's.  Could very well see them target a WR in the high rounds (Hopkins is my #1 guy) and in FA, whether it be their own players or someone else, like a Hartline or Amendola (who might also get tagged?) or Donnie Avery or Brandon Gibson or maybe a RFA like Emmanuel Sanders.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

If you are the Pats and J. Williams and B. Jones are both on the board who would you prefer?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

If you are the Pats and J. Williams and B. Jones are both on the board who would you prefer?

Happy with either, but I have Williams higher on my board.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I think that's the way I'd go too.  VW has been durable but it's time to get him some help.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I think that's the way I'd go too.  VW has been durable but it's time to get him some help.

Plus, who wouldn't want this on their defense? ;)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Chip Kelly to Eagles....

What are implications for how they might draft? Expectation is for him to implement his uptempo offense. Does he have the right personnel in the current team? 

Is Foles the right QB (I am assuming Vick is out and Edwards does not show promise)? Kelly's QBs in Oregon like throwing bullets and have very good legs. Where does he get the right QB? Does he draft one? Which round? And which QB?

Does he have the receivers and RB? 

Til this news I was on the camp believing only one QB will be taken in the first round. I believe Alex Smith will be available. So could Rivers (if SDC is smart enough to find a deal for him). 

This news could change the draft dynamic. Smith does not come across to me as the type of QB who could run Kelly's offense. Neither could any of the potential FAs. I think he will have to find his second QB (next to Foles) in the draft.

agreed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

can get good o line further down id say.

still say ansah (if within reach), rhodes (if we get pass rush help in fa), or vaccaro/elam, etc (if no safety in fa) is where id focus in rd 1. and if no pass rush help and ansah gone the next tier of pass rushers before or after the safety.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

On the topic of "Players that don't have elite physical measurables that I'd love to see in Foxboro", there is a new player at the top of my list.

Syracuse S Shamarko Thomas- Kid measured in at the Shrine Game at a shade under 5-9 (5087 to be exacty), but weighed in at 217 pounds... 217 pounds!

What I like even more is that he's prob a 4.3 kid and possibly the most physical player that I've seen on tape this year.  He's instinctive, ultra-aggressive, can click/close quickly, takes good angles to the football, is one of the better tacklers that I've seen from the S position (very good in the open field) and will look to tear your head off or at the very least dislodge the football from you... def a Bob Sanders type player... a 5-9, football seeking missile that's programmed with direct cooridinance to seek a destroy... alright, I'm getting ahead of myself a bit, but this kid has me excited... if he's (2) inches taller, he's off the board in Rd 1, IMO, but he'll prob be around on Day 2 due to his height.  He's gonna make one teams GM/Coach look very smart.

At 5.9 he is the perfect new safety for todays rules. He is too short to get penalized on hits to the head

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mgraham's comment:

At 5.9 he is the perfect new safetyfor todays rules. He is too short to get penalized on hits to the head

Though they'll prob penailize him for physically breaking someone in half, ha.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

At 5.9 he is the perfect new safetyfor todays rules. He is too short to get penalized on hits to the head

nice description.

i too like height these days along with everything else.

will have to take a look see

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

Guys we have with 10+ experience heading counting 2013 are:

Tom Brady (14)

Deon Branch (12)

Brandon Llyod (11)

Vince Wilfork (10)

Tracy White (10)

Niko Koutouvides (10)

Wes Welker (10)

I think Williams starts Day 1 if they take him.

In regards to WR I agree that there is some potential instability there due to age and with WW (hopefully they atleast tag him) and Edelman both being FA's.  Could very well see them target a WR in the high rounds (Hopkins is my #1 guy) and in FA, whether it be their own players or someone else, like a Hartline or Amendola (who might also get tagged?) or Donnie Avery or Brandon Gibson or maybe a RFA like Emmanuel Sanders.

Agreed but it's rare that they go after a RFA unless the 2nd round tender is made and I don't see that happening with Sanders.  Hartline is the Dolphins best WR, doubt they let him walk.  Amendola has been injury prone of late having played in only 12 games the past two seasons.  Avery turns 29 this summer but I agree, we will likely look to F/A to add a WR, just not sure which one as I haven't studied the F/A list yet. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

love it   maybe the new Rodney albeit a little   ( OK a lot) shorter

2 questions

4.3 speed does he return kicks?

Do you think Marone with the Bills would scoff him up on day 2?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

love it   maybe the new Rodney albeit a little   ( OK a lot) shorter

2 questions

4.3 speed does he return kicks?

Do you think Marone with the Bills would scoff him up on day 2?

Don't believe he returns kicks, Marrone could very well do so... def the kinda kid that I'd want on my team if I was trying to establish a tougher culture.

Sections
Shortcuts