***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Motta is a poor man's Smith. Hope he is as fluid, at the combine. Pats need size and smarts at this position.

I'm very high on Motta, love his physicality and tackling ability... quick to read/react and closes downhill in a hurry... also, there's nobody that's seen more Motta than Mayock (does color for the ND NBC broadcasts) and he has him as his #5 S overall.

good info. I'd love to see Motta here next year. It wouldn't suprise me to see BB draft 2 safety's like he has done with alot of positions in the past. Would be sweet to see Cyprien and Motta both here

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

What's everyones favorite position to scout/follow?  It's safety, hands down for me... have always loved the physicality, intelligence and mindset that's generally valued/needed for the position.

As a kid I idolized Chuck Cecil due to his nastiness/brutality on the field... below is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT14rYHV8CQ

That guy was a beast! I remember him well Fearless competitor

For me DL and TE. One of my favorite DL's was the Eagles in the early 90's with Reggie White and Jerome Brown. Wish I were alive to have seen the Fearsome Foursome and Deacon Jones

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

In response to natesubs's comment:

1st round – #6 (acquired in trade from Cleveland for mallet and a 1nd round pick) Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah

1st round –Traded to Cleveland

2nd round -  Margus Hunt DE, SMU
    3rd Round -
    Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State or Da’Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee tech
    4th round (probable compensatory pick for anderson) - Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU

5th round(probable compensatory pick for BJGE/koppen/ohrnberger/carter/sterling moore) –Chris Harper, WR Kansas State

7th round - Braden Hansen, G, BYU or braden Brown, OT/TE, BYU
    7th Round - Ron Powell*, OLB, Florida  or Jake stoneburner, TE, OSU

UDFA-       Graham Pocic, C, Illinois

Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford or

Lucas Reed, TE, New Mexico

Ray Ray Armstrong, S, Faulkner University

Demetrius McCray, CB, App State

Luke Marquardt, OT, Azusa Pacific

Hey nate.  I like where your head is here, but I think you're dreaming a bit about Mallett's worth and about getting those comp picks.  I like the players you mock here, though!  Especially Ray Ray as an UDFA.

anyone know what Ray Ray did, btw? All I heard was he lied during an internal investigation and talked to a booster or something

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

In response to natesubs's comment:

1st round – #6 (acquired in trade from Cleveland for mallet and a 1nd round pick) Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah

1st round –Traded to Cleveland

2nd round -  Margus Hunt DE, SMU
    3rd Round -
    Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State or Da’Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee tech
    4th round (probable compensatory pick for anderson) - Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU

5th round(probable compensatory pick for BJGE/koppen/ohrnberger/carter/sterling moore) –Chris Harper, WR Kansas State

7th round - Braden Hansen, G, BYU or braden Brown, OT/TE, BYU
    7th Round - Ron Powell*, OLB, Florida  or Jake stoneburner, TE, OSU

UDFA-       Graham Pocic, C, Illinois

Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford or

Lucas Reed, TE, New Mexico

Ray Ray Armstrong, S, Faulkner University

Demetrius McCray, CB, App State

Luke Marquardt, OT, Azusa Pacific

Hey nate.  I like where your head is here, but I think you're dreaming a bit about Mallett's worth and about getting those comp picks.  I like the players you mock here, though!  Especially Ray Ray as an UDFA.

anyone know what Ray Ray did, btw? All I heard was he lied during an internal investigation and talked to a booster or something

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/20173142/naia-declares-former-miami-safety-ray-ray-armstrong-ineligible

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Wouldn't shock me to see Buffalo move back into Rd 1 to target Ryan Nassib... new HC Doug Marrone's QB at Syracuse.

I understand the connection. That said, two questions...

1)  How strongly does Marrone feel about Nassib that he'd be willing to stick his neck out to get such a move done - a pretty big move if you ask me.

2)  How much clout would Marrone have that he could convince  the organization to make such a big move? The time to make such a move is if they feel confident the move would get them to be at par or better than the Pats. Weirder things have happened, but I would be surprised if they see Nassib representing that potential.

I have to assuem that the people in their Fo got there because they are pretty smart. I cannot imagine then that they do not recognize next year's class of QBs having the potential they are seeking, and it would be best for them to keep their ammo for next year.

For what it's worth, The National Football Post (draft portion run by former NFL Scout Russ Lande) has Nassib is it's #1 overall prospect in the draft... I don't agree, but I think it implies that he's better than people think.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Owner Ralph Wilson has handed controls of the franchise over to Russ Brandon (CEO), who in turn spearheaded the hiring of Marrone (which was a bold move in itself) and it could make sense from both a marketing and personnel perspective to bring in a young talented QB (whom the HC is intimately familiar with) to be the new fact of the franchise.  In other words, I'd expect that Brandon would want to put his stamp on things.

i could see that adn 1-3 other qb needing teams going qb in rd 1. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

Wouldn't shock me to see Buffalo move back into Rd 1 to target Ryan Nassib... new HC Doug Marrone's QB at Syracuse.

1)  How strongly does Marrone feel about Nassib that he'd be willing to stick his neck out to get such a move done - a pretty big move if you ask me.

2)  How much clout would Marrone have that he could convince  the organization to make such a big move? The time to make such a move is if they feel confident the move would get them to be at par or better than the Pats. Weirder things have happened, but I would be surprised if they see Nassib representing that potential.

I have to assuem that the people in their Fo got there because they are pretty smart. I cannot imagine then that they do not recognize next year's class of QBs having the potential they are seeking, and it would be best for them to keep their ammo for next year.

For what it's worth, The National Football Post (draft portion run by former NFL Scout Russ Lande) has Nassib is it's #1 overall prospect in the draft... I don't agree, but I think it implies that he's better than people think.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Owner Ralph Wilson has handed controls of the franchise over to Russ Brandon (CEO), who in turn spearheaded the hiring of Marrone (which was a bold move in itself) and it could make sense from both a marketing and personnel perspective to bring in a young talented QB (whom the HC is intimately familiar with) to be the new fact of the franchise.  In other words, I'd expect that Brandon would want to put his stamp on things.

I doubt it.  There really aren't that many teams who are desparate at the QB position right now.  I bet Geno is the only QB to get drafted in the 1st round.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

http://www.drafttek.com/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2013.asp

This website is pretty cool.  Draft Tec compiles the mocks from other sites and tracks the rise and falls of players.

Right now, the bigest risers seem to be Sharif Floyd and Arthur Brown.  One of the fallers is Johnathan Hankins.  I wonder id BB is interested in grabbing him in the first to complement Big Vince.  He's listed at 6"3' 335.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Army2LT's comment:

This website is pretty cool.  Draft Tec compiles the mocks from other sites and tracks the rise and falls of players.

Right now, the bigest risers seem to be Sharif Floyd and Arthur Brown.  One of the fallers is Johnathan Hankins.  I wonder id BB is interested in grabbing him in the first to complement Big Vince.  He's listed at 6"3' 335.

I mentioned that possibility a while back and I didn't think it was possible but maybe it could. If it somehow does I'd be breaking arms and look like Dieon Sanders the moment the clock hit pick #29 to get my pick to the commish

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Thanks man, always looking for new publications.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I mentioned that possibility a while back and I didn't think it was possible but maybe it could. If it somehow does I'd be breaking arms and look like Dieon Sanders the moment the clock hit pick #29 to get my pick to the commish

Man, I would LOVE to see Hankins available at 29.  That pick would be a no-brainer for me.  I know that Floyd is very good, but when it is all sudden done, Hankins may end up being the best DT to come out of this class.  I'm sure BB will have the inside scoop on him from Urban Meyer/Vrabel.  That scenario could be similar to when Wilfork fell to us, just a gift.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Feedback below on Alex Okafor from Russ Lande, former NFL scout and currnet Director of Scouting at The National football Post.  For the record, I have him as a Rd 2 kid on my board currently.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Draft-Rumblings-What-NFP-is-hearing-from-around-the-NFL-7024.html

3. Alex Okafor, DE, Texas, Senior (6045, 261 and 4.85 E): While LSU’s Barkevious Mingo and BYU's Ezekiel Ansah are causing some debate in draft rooms, Alex Okafor is causing perhaps more than any other defender. Numerous scouts have told us that when they evaluated him off 2012 game film, they agreed with our assessment that he plays upright too often, lacks good flexibility and struggles to defeat pass blocks to pressure the quarterback consistently. However, after a great week of practice at the Senior Bowl where he flashed top level athleticism and consistently won in one on one drills he got NFL people excited. We hear that Okafor is now in the middle of the classic debate between those who did not like his play on film and those who feel that he is a gifted talent who can be coached to be the player he flashed the ability to be at the Senior Bowl. Although every scout we spoke to viewed him as a third day prospect based on film evaluation, nearly all of them tell us they believe he will at worst be a second round pick and could even end up as a late first rounder.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

In response to Faucetman's comment:

Welker vs. Mike Wallace??

Wallace is now unrestricted and the Steelers likely won't tag him.  He was pretty disgruntled last year with the restriction.  Word out of PIT is he's gone.  Would it be a smart play to give Wallace the money we could use to keep the much older Welker?  Edelman and Hernandez can work the middle and we could pair Wallace with Lloyd on the outside.  We then don't need to draft a WR high in the draft.

I heard Wallace had a bad attitude in PIT all year and didn't like his opportunities.  This could turn BB off.

Hi Faucet,

Hope all is well. I think I had mentioned on here last year around this time to someone that I felt his reputation and stats were tainted by the Big Ben run around sand lot style of football and that Wallace would not be the same here.

Turns out that was proved while staying in Pitt and the OC just reigning in Big Ben. Wallaces numbers, specifically his yards per catch plummeted in response.

Less time to run deep or break off deep on a broken pocket play.

Hi Low, I'm doing great, just going through a lot of life changes.  Thanks for asking.   Likewise I hope you are well.

As for Wallace, there are always teams out there willing to pay top dollar.  This hasn't been the Pat's way with the exception of Adalius Thomas.  They will sometimes pay their players who are proven in their system.  I mention Wallace again because BB heaped high praise on him last year and he sure could be a lethal weapon on the outside.  But the chances of landing him or Avril are slim.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Anyone know anything about this Jason Vega kid the Pats just signed? 6'4" 255 and runs a 4.6 forty. Signed to a 3 year deal. Should be an interesting camp body but with that size and speed I'm wondering if he can cover. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I can't find much on Vega. Tried looking at old scouting reports and not much. Maybe because he played at northeastern? He did put up 41 sacks in 4 years in college, and is fast for a guy his size. A few folks compare him o nink...not flashy but makes the occasional big play. 

In all honesty , I can't see where the pats fit him unless one of Scott or bequette don't make it. We have jones and nink penciled in at de/olb, with Scott, Francis, bequette, and now vega behind. How many 4-3 de's is bb going to carry? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Some franchise tag insight for all 32 teams from Mike Florio (love him or hate him):

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/17/team-by-team-look-at-who-wouldcouldshould-be-tagged/

Boy, I don't see giving Vollmer top 5 OT money; or Talib for that matter.  Not sure how much Talib would get but has to be north of $10MM as it would be for Vollmer.  Welker for $11.4 I think isn't a bad deal for a guy who is top 3 in receptions and yards every year.

Good stuff.  In our situation, I guess I would tag Vollmer if none of the 3 would agree to a reasonable deal.  If Vollmer does in fact agree to a long-term deal, then I would tag Talib.  11.4 million is simply too much for Welker, and I'm not even getting my hopes up for him to sign a team-friendly deal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Could we afford to let welker, Talib and vollmer walk? We don't have many draft picks, but got to imagine the money saved on the 3 of them plus any restructuring Brady, Vince may do would give us some serious money to spend in FA....we could sign melton and 1 of Byrd/gholdson/Moore, sign Brandon Gibson, then use the draft to grab a cb, ot and maybe another wideout. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

I can't find much on Vega. Tried looking at old scouting reports and not much. Maybe because he played at northeastern? He did put up 41 sacks in 4 years in college, and is fast for a guy his size. A few folks compare him o nink...not flashy but makes the occasional big play. 

In all honesty , I can't see where the pats fit him unless one of Scott or bequette don't make it. We have jones and nink penciled in at de/olb, with Scott, Francis, bequette, and now vega behind. How many 4-3 de's is bb going to carry? 

That's why I was wondering if he could cover. Given his size he seems a bit small as a 43 DE but has 4.6 speed which would be perfect covering TE's. If he can cover I can see why they'd give him a shot but if he can't cover not sure this signing makes sense. Why not just tender him a camp invite or let him go to another team 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Of what limited video there is on him, I have only seen him attack upfield. if you are wondering if he can cover, are yoas seeing more as a 3-4 olb rather than a pass rushing 4-3 de? Maybe Scott won't be back, or maybe bequette is not working out? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Anyone know anything about this Jason Vega kid the Pats just signed? 6'4" 255 and runs a 4.6 forty. Signed to a 3 year deal. Should be an interesting camp body but with that size and speed I'm wondering if he can cover. 

Jason Vega (from Brockton MA)

Came out of HS as a TE at 6.4/6.5 and about 220 lbs.

Became a linebacker at Northeastern after bulking up to 250 lbs

Ranked as the 64th OLB the year he came out (2010?)

Pro Days stats

6'3.5" 248 lb

4.69 40yd dash

2.67 20yd split

1.69 10yd split

21 reps at 225

34" vert

10' 04" broad

4.06 shuttle

7.07 3-cone

CFL Winnipeg Blue Bombers

2011 7 sacks 26 tackles

2012 5 sacks 40 tackles

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Pro Days stats

6'3.5" 248 lb

4.69 40yd dash

2.67 20yd split

1.69 10yd split

21 reps at 225

34" vert

10' 04" broad

4.06 shuttle

7.07 3-cone

2011 7 sacks 26 tackles

2012 5 sacks 40 tackles

How many games do they in a season?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Pro Days stats

6'3.5" 248 lb

4.69 40yd dash

2.67 20yd split

1.69 10yd split

21 reps at 225

34" vert

10' 04" broad

4.06 shuttle

7.07 3-cone

2011 7 sacks 26 tackles

2012 5 sacks 40 tackles

How many games do they in a season?

the 2011 season he played 10 games

in 2012 he played 14 games

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

I doubt it.  There really aren't that many teams who are desparate at the QB position right now.  I bet Geno is the only QB to get drafted in the 1st round.

hey wazzu,

i am of a very different opinon. many pages ago i listed from top to bottom every team and which i thought might take a qb in 1

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Thanks man, always looking for new publications.

i look at it bout once a week or when they update their mock

AND

they currently have ansah making it to 30. i wouldnt take a wr over him in rd 1.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Could we afford to let welker, Talib and vollmer walk? We don't have many draft picks, but got to imagine the money saved on the 3 of them plus any restructuring Brady, Vince may do would give us some serious money to spend in FA....we could sign melton and 1 of Byrd/gholdson/Moore, sign Brandon Gibson, then use the draft to grab a cb, ot and maybe another wideout. 

"would give us some serious money to spend in FA"

i suggested the same a few weeks ago. though keeping talib and not the same fa moves

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Of what limited video there is on him, I have only seen him attack upfield. if you are wondering if he can cover, are yoas seeing more as a 3-4 olb rather than a pass rushing 4-3 de? Maybe Scott won't be back, or maybe bequette is not working out? 

Well even as a 43 OLB BB likes his LB's big. He wouldn't be much different in size then Mayo

Sections
Shortcuts