***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

yes my FA list was under the assumption that Welker stays

WW is going to be 32 next season, Amendola 27. I'd say Wes deserves 3 years around 20 million and Danny maybe 5 at around 30. Either is fine with me. Edelman and ______ unknown guy is not acceptable.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good to see Dennard  flash some coverage ability and ball skills... like that he turns his head and plays the football vs. McCourty who too often prefers to face guard his man which results in a lot of PI calls or TD's, etc.

[/QUOTE]

:)

exactly (on dennard and mccourty)

by the way, do you read regular threads over last year and this?

seen me getting flamed for even discussing mcc's technique after games for last year and a half?

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you bredbru, it drives me crazy. Dennard is their best corner IMO. 

This is a great thread here, more sensible Patriots discussion without the nonsense and trolling.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

by the way, see the rankings today?

ohio state, kansas state, nd are all better than lsu? try playing them.

in fact wv mgiht have a problem.

i think they underrank how good florida is/was.

on the other hand, south car. and florida play one another and regardles who wins are probably still both one of teh best 4 teams in teh country.

[/QUOTE]

You can't have a (1) loss team ahead of (3) undefeated teams.

LSU has the same issues as ND... a BCS Championship level defense with an unproven/inconsistent offense.  ND in particular is 2nd in the nation in scoring defense (behind only Alabama) and hasn't given up a TD in any of the last (3) games vs. Michigan St/Michigan/Miami, the first two were ranked at the time and Miami just came off of a ACC record passing performance vs. NC St the week before... granted there was some luck involved in the Miami game as one of their WR's dropp two potential TD catches in their first drive... but did little after.

[/QUOTE]

"You can't have a (1) loss team ahead of (3) undefeated teams"

absoluitley disagree with this. you are ranking the best team. # of losses is not the point.

i see nd has improved

like to see them play lsu first or s carolina, florida, etc before putting them ahead of lsu.

peace bro

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Good to see Dennard  flash some coverage ability and ball skills... like that he turns his head and plays the football vs. McCourty who too often prefers to face guard his man which results in a lot of PI calls or TD's, etc.

[/QUOTE]
    Two different types of DB's DMac is a solid tackler an rarely yields YAC,while Dennard is a shutdown type corner,he was better than his collegiate teammate Akumura when they played together at U-Neb,he will turn out to be a solid CB once he acclimates to the speed of the game in the NFL,never thought he'd still be on the board in the 7th round and I wonder how much BB paid the cop in Nebraska to instigate the tussle between the two,which in effect destroyed his ranking as far as the draft was concerned......I know you answered my question about the 2013 draft by pointing to the draft chart you drew up but I was looking for your opinion on which players at the DB and O-line positions that would fit the Patriots needs and where they draft as to who would be availible in the late first round.

[/QUOTE]

See I can't by the argument that they're two different kind of corners as IMO, bad technique is bad technique... sure DMC is a solid run defender, but that doesn't cancel out the fact that he consistently is in bad position and hardly ever has his head turned.  I also think Amukamara was the better college player.  I do hope that Dennard continues to develop as he could be an absolute steal relative to his talent vs. draft position... I'm sure BB sent the cop a nice $100 gift card to Patriot Place, haha.

[/QUOTE]

100$ 10 grand gift card maybe..... :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Mb...can we take JJ watt? Or maybe his twin brother?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

can we get a do over??? :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

was bit suprised walter football has us finishing at 26 and that they have lattimore making it to 27 (packers). 

a week or so later, (i noted not many answered earlier querry), #1 need at this point week 6 - positon we should fill with first pick?

dt, de, t/g, c/g, cb (which i would prefer in f.a.) or?

(acknowleging this may change over time.

by the way, bb doesnt agree, but do you think its time to try mcc at safety? maybe him and wilson can develop into something. (really, it's wishful tihinking re devin. if we resign, i think it will be a huge mistake). 

by the way, having terrance willimas would be nice, but give me d and o line in this draft.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

IMO they are going heavy line next year. Think interior positions along the OL and either a bookend for Jones or someone next to Wilfork

BTW anyone been following Jenkins DT or McCullers DT this year? McCullers is making mistakes and raw but he might have the highest upside for any of the DT's eligiable in this years draft and Jenkins has been wreaking havoc like you wouldn't believe in the middle of the line. Put either next to Wilfork and you have 700lbs next to each other that could break through double teams

Williams from Ala has to have a strong second half of the year otherwise his stock is going to drop like a rock with the concussion. Still he's got a ton of potential and would gladly take him in the late 2nd if available

[/QUOTE]

Have Jenkins on the watch list, but haven't had a chance to watch him much... sounds like I need to check some film out, thanks PE.

Referring to Daniel McCullers from UT?  Kid's a giant eh?  Listed 6-6 377?  Doesn't have much in the way of stats, anything specific to report back on him (good/bad)?

[/QUOTE]

Jenkins doesn't have the stats you'd expect but when you watch him on film it's amazing. He just wreaks havoc and forces everyone behind center to adjust to him (much like Wilfork)

Yep that's the McCullers I was talking about. The kids just massive and has a great explosion. He's raw on his hand work and needs to adjust his knee position. You can tell he just used his body and size to his advantage early in his football life which was enough but fundamental he's lacking slightly. One big issue is instead of squaring up his body he likes to arm reach and turn sideways a lot because of his massive power he can usually drag a ball carrier down but it gets him off balance. Additional he tackles with his body and not so much wrapping up almost like a sumo wrestler. If he learns to square his body to the tackle and wrap those arms around no one will run past him. He shows flashes of promise and you can tell he's learning. His raw talent is there and just needs to be worked on and adjusted but you can't teach his size or power. I saw this guy push a triple block backwards one game. It was one of those things you have to watch again and say wow.

[/QUOTE]

id like to be in scars head looking at him, hearing what he sees....?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

[QUOTE]

Watchlist updated 10/7!

[/QUOTE]

mbeaulieu--can't remember, was J.J. Watt in the Patriots reach in the draft. I do remember you were very high on him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The way things are shaping up right now it looks like a couple strengths of the draft the Pats could look into are:

NT - without a doubt this is a major strength early in this draft. You have at least 2 NT's that will be in consideration for top 10 picks this year with 2 maybe 3 other pure NT's taken by the middle of the 3rd round. In addition you have at least 2 DT's with the possibility of being NT converts going by the end of the 2nd round. It's been a long time since I've seen the prospect of 4-7 NT's coming off the board in the first 3 rounds

RG/RT tweeners - There really aren't a lot of top end G's this year and starting LG's might be hard to find but there seems to be a large number of starting potential RG/RT tweeners between rounds 2-5. Most teams wouldn't touch a starting RG until the late first and RG/RT tweeners not until the mid to late 2nd. Bailey, Cooper, Frederick, Jackson, Long there is potential there

DE/OLB - there is a lot here to choose from much like last years crop. And, like last years crop I see a big run coming in the mid 1st to mid 2nd round so the odds of a Okafor falling to us might be slim but there are a number of high talent raw prospects that are worth taking a look at, namely Taylor, Gholston, Martin, and Hunt. Now 1 maybe 2 of those high talent physcially gifted guys will stick in the league but that might be the best chance to get a bookend for Jones without trading away the draft. For my money I want Gholston because of his solid run D ability to set the edge stay strong at PoA and to sniff out screens. He's more pro ready of the group because of his run stopping ability, but he's also the most raw when it comes to pass rushing.

[/QUOTE]

PE,

RE:  OLB/DE... give Oregon's Dion Jordan a look, I profiled him early in the thread... kid has elite length and athleticism and plays most all of his snaps out of a 2 point stance... I think you'll like what you see.  Of course, I'm prob gonna beat the Bjoern Werner drum to death until he either stays in school or plays/performs himself out of the bottom quarter of Rd 1 (where I think NE will be selecting).

RE:  NT- How'd your boy Jenkins look yesterday?  I didn't catch any of the game.

[/QUOTE]

I caught some of the Oregon game and Jordan looks good! Really explosive and quick off the snap. I don't think I'd put him above Werner yet though because Werner looks better against the run.

Jenkins is simply overpowering. I think he could lose about 15 or 20 lbs as long as it doesn't hurt his strength. He does a good job collapsing the pocket.

From what I saw in the LSU/Florida game, I think Lonergan is their best lineman.  Hurst needs to work on his footwork and Willford looks like a good pass blocker but not as effective as a run blocker. It also is good to know Lonergan has experience with shotgun snaps.

Mingo needs to bulk up a bit to play the run better but he's quick and athletic.

[/QUOTE]

There's some good youtube vid on Jordan too... I like that a lot of the tape out there on players is just a cut up of games played vs. showing just highlights... gives you a chance to see the good and bad in a player. 

Thanks for the feedback on the LSU linemen.

[/QUOTE]

Those are the videos I like to see as well. I don't care much for the highlight videos because just like you said, you can't see the good and bad and consistency throughout a game

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

everyone thought i was nuts when i said we shuold trade up for him and was practically obsessed with him and thought he would be a sure probowler.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

by the way, see the rankings today?

ohio state, kansas state, nd are all better than lsu? try playing them.

in fact wv mgiht have a problem.

i think they underrank how good florida is/was.

on the other hand, south car. and florida play one another and regardles who wins are probably still both one of teh best 4 teams in teh country.

[/QUOTE]

You can't have a (1) loss team ahead of (3) undefeated teams.

LSU has the same issues as ND... a BCS Championship level defense with an unproven/inconsistent offense.  ND in particular is 2nd in the nation in scoring defense (behind only Alabama) and hasn't given up a TD in any of the last (3) games vs. Michigan St/Michigan/Miami, the first two were ranked at the time and Miami just came off of a ACC record passing performance vs. NC St the week before... granted there was some luck involved in the Miami game as one of their WR's dropp two potential TD catches in their first drive... but did little after.

[/QUOTE]

"You can't have a (1) loss team ahead of (3) undefeated teams"

absoluitley disagree with this. you are ranking the best team. # of losses is not the point.

i see nd has improved

like to see them play lsu first or s carolina, florida, etc before putting them ahead of lsu.

peace bro

[/QUOTE]

And ND is one of the best teams, as have been KSU and WVU.  All three have flaws as does LSU, but you can't just keep them ahead of teams based solely on SEC bias... they lost to a good football and should drop as a result. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Two different types of DB's DMac is a solid tackler an rarely yields YAC,while Dennard is a shutdown type corner,he was better than his collegiate teammate Akumura when they played together at U-Neb,he will turn out to be a solid CB once he acclimates to the speed of the game in the NFL,never thought he'd still be on the board in the 7th round and I wonder how much BB paid the cop in Nebraska to instigate the tussle between the two,which in effect destroyed his ranking as far as the draft was concerned......I know you answered my question about the 2013 draft by pointing to the draft chart you drew up but I was looking for your opinion on which players at the DB and O-line positions that would fit the Patriots needs and where they draft as to who would be availible in the late first round.

[/QUOTE]

See I can't by the argument that they're two different kind of corners as IMO, bad technique is bad technique... sure DMC is a solid run defender, but that doesn't cancel out the fact that he consistently is in bad position and hardly ever has his head turned.  I also think Amukamara was the better college player.  I do hope that Dennard continues to develop as he could be an absolute steal relative to his talent vs. draft position... I'm sure BB sent the cop a nice $100 gift card to Patriot Place, haha.

[/QUOTE]

100$ 10 grand gift card maybe..... :)

[/QUOTE]

Haha

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kid's elite, no doubt about it!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to NEGAME2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Watchlist updated 10/7!

[/QUOTE]

mbeaulieu--can't remember, was J.J. Watt in the Patriots reach in the draft. I do remember you were very high on him.

[/QUOTE]

Houston took him at pick 11, NE got Solder at 17, so they weren't completely out of range.

I was very high on him, yes... he was def a thread favorite (many posters wanted this guy in Foxoboro), believe Faucet might have been the first to pump him up... or so I remember, haha.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

After Sundays game a couple of things really stuck out to me

1) When Wilfork was not in the game the D really took a heavy hit

2) Nink once he gets going is an adequent end though an upgrade would be nice

3) Love will never provide an interior rush nor can he hold up against the run if Wilfork isn't next to him

With that in mind I'm going to focus solely on finding a DT/NT to have next to Wilfork. If I was targetting that position right now I'm looking at

#1 Jonathan Jenkins - even if you need to move up 10 spots well worth the pick. He's a younger version of Wilfork imo

#2 Daniel McCullers - though not Jenkins he has more power and explosiveness then Love. He has some moves to get to the QB but is still a bit raw on leverage against bigger OL and needs to expand his pass rushing moves. Still he's a nice backup plan if Jenkins is out of reach

#3 Jesse Williams - Just on shear raw potential he's one of the top DT's in his class but with raw potential comes the raw aspect. This kid is going to need work and might take a year to develop

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

3) Love will never provide an interior rush nor can he hold up against the run if Wilfork isn't next to him

With that in mind I'm going to focus solely on finding a DT/NT to have next to Wilfork. If I was targetting that position right now I'm looking at

#1 Jonathan Jenkins - even if you need to move up 10 spots well worth the pick. He's a younger version of Wilfork imo

#2 Daniel McCullers - though not Jenkins he has more power and explosiveness then Love. He has some moves to get to the QB but is still a bit raw on leverage against bigger OL and needs to expand his pass rushing moves. Still he's a nice backup plan if Jenkins is out of reach

#3 Jesse Williams - Just on shear raw potential he's one of the top DT's in his class but with raw potential comes the raw aspect. This kid is going to need work and might take a year to develop

[/QUOTE]

Based on team needs, thats what I'm leaning towards as well. I haven't seen much of McCullers but Jenkins and Williams look good. Jenkins can collapse and push the pocket back where as Williams looks quicker on his feet and could play DE as well. Either one next to Wilfork would be devastating for opponents

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Based on team needs, thats what I'm leaning towards as well. I haven't seen much of McCullers but Jenkins and Williams look good. Jenkins can collapse and push the pocket back where as Williams looks quicker on his feet and could play DE as well. Either one next to Wilfork would be devastating for opponents

[/QUOTE]

THat's what I'm thinking, is that we have LB's built to contain the edge. Smart LB's who can push pulling OL backwards or just avoid them (both Hightower and Mayo have shown tremendous ability to get around edge blocking outside the T's), so it only makes sense to push from the interior and try to drive a QB into either Jones, Mayo's, or Hightowers arms causing confusion and preventing QB's from stepping up into the pocket

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

HC/PE,

Let's say Barrett Jones and John Jenkins are both there for the taking with NE's 1st Rd pick, who ya got?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

HC/PE,

Let's say Barrett Jones and John Jenkins are both there for the taking with NE's 1st Rd pick, who ya got?

[/QUOTE]

Good question but the answer is a resounding Jenkins on all accounts. I always go D first and foremost, esp with the limited shelf life of Brady and Wilfork. You need to plan for the future and a team without Brady is going to need a strong anchor on the DL. Just some things to me are philosophically fundamental for me:

1) You don't take a RG in the 1st nor do you take take a backup to a pro-bowl player under a massive contract for the next 4 years or so. Since Mankins is under contract and won't be let go anytime soon their is no need for a LG nor would I take a RG so early given the way Wendell has held his own at that position

2) The D starts from the center of the DL and moves outward. You have Jones and Wilfork so adding another big disruptive DT would cause other teams nightmares before they even get on the field. If you have a strong D it can always make up for a weaker O (not the case in NE) but a strong O can't always make up for a weak D

3) We have Scar so you can find quality OL between rounds 1-UDFA but as been proven time and time again with the Pats if you want an impact DL then you need to shop early and often

For all of that I'd go Jenkins (call me mini Wilfork) in a landslide

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Just thought I'd ask: What if the Pats fail to sign Chung? Does that make safety #1 priority? because to me you still try to get a DT or bookend DE/OLB for Jones and Fork to work with and increase the pressure.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

HC/PE,

[/QUOTE]

Good question but the answer is a resounding Jenkins on all accounts. I always go D first and foremost, esp with the limited shelf life of Brady and Wilfork. You need to plan for the future and a team without Brady is going to need a strong anchor on the DL. Just some things to me are philosophically fundamental for me:

1) You don't take a RG in the 1st nor do you take take a backup to a pro-bowl player under a massive contract for the next 4 years or so. Since Mankins is under contract and won't be let go anytime soon their is no need for a LG nor would I take a RG so early given the way Wendell has held his own at that position

2) The D starts from the center of the DL and moves outward. You have Jones and Wilfork so adding another big disruptive DT would cause other teams nightmares before they even get on the field. If you have a strong D it can always make up for a weaker O (not the case in NE) but a strong O can't always make up for a weak D

3) We have Scar so you can find quality OL between rounds 1-UDFA but as been proven time and time again with the Pats if you want an impact DL then you need to shop early and often

For all of that I'd go Jenkins (call me mini Wilfork) in a landslide

[/QUOTE]

Solid reasoning, not a lot to debate (assuming Jenkins is as good as advertised), the only thing I'd add in favor of Barrett is that he gives you value at C and emergency T as well... but you wouldn't get an argument from me goind DL over OL under this scenario.  Bjoern Werner is the top player on my board, but my feeling is he'll prob play himself out of range, assuming he declares.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just thought I'd ask: What if the Pats fail to sign Chung? Does that make safety #1 priority? because to me you still try to get a DT or bookend DE/OLB for Jones and Fork to work with and increase the pressure.

[/QUOTE]

My feeling is that Chung will be retained, however if he isn't then S certainly becomes a huge area of need, IMO... and this projects as a potentially good S class.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'd still go DL because D always starts in the trenches and ripples out. Besides BB drafted 2 players with similar abilities as Chung in Wilson and Ebner. There would be a drop off but imo that drop off would be small when compared to the benefit of adding to the DL. If they are going to look at the S position though they could look for an upgrade to Gregory. A FS is needed in this D

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

HC/PE,

[/QUOTE]

Tough question but I'd go with Jenkins as well. He's overpowering even when double teamed. He just keep pushing the pocket back and creates a wall in the run game.

Jones is good and versatile. I think he's a better pass blocker than run blocker and he seems to have good awareness and does a good job picking up the blitz. He doesn't seem to have the aggressiveness and nastiness though

Sections
Shortcuts