***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Auburn RB Onterio MacCalebb just ran an unofficial 4.21.

i see with results this eve, 4.27 listed as best time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Swope was a nice surprise but so was Wheaton with speed and a 37 vertical. Marquise Wilson had a good outing but disappointed in leaping ability and Kaufman really disappointed in leaping ability, but had very solid hands in the drills. There should be a lot of options in the 3rd

After the Senior Bowl, I really liked Wheaton. On youtube, I think he's one of the best at creating separation. His 40 time makes you pay attention even more. That said, on the youtube, you will also notice a bad habit -- he catches a lot of balls with his arms and chest. If you can overlook that, I guess he'll be a fine receiver.

I am guesing that Boyce and Swope will be at the same range. Though decent, does not seem to separate as well as Wheaton, but catches with his hands much better. To me, Boyce seems to have the best combination.

habit of catching with hands is important. bigger hands better as well. 

giev me height, size, separation, ability to go up and compete for the ball, huge hands that can snag

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Not to change the focus on WR, but did anyone see this or have anymore info?  I hope he is ok.

Combine medical test reveals Star Lotulelei has heart condition

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 24, 2013, 5:39 PM EST

AP

Star Lotulelei, a defensive tackle from Utah who is widely viewed as one of the best players in this year’s draft, was found to have a heart condition when examined at the Scouting Combine.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reports that Lotulelei’s left ventricle is pumping at 44 percent efficiency, below the normal range of 55 percent to 70 percent. As a result, Lotulelei will leave Indianapolis without going through any workouts.

Lotulelei’s condition was discovered via an echocardiogram conducted as part of the normal Combine medical evaluation. He will now return home to Utah to undergo more tests.

ESPN’s Scouts, Inc. ranks Lotulelei as the No. 1 overall player in this year’s draft, at any position. NFL Network’s Mike Mayock calls Lotulelei the second-best defensive tackle in the draft.

jsut heard this. some teams i would expect would shy away. heart ventrical. maybe solved. maybe never return. maybe return. but at top 3 you want a 10 year stud. woudl expecthe woudl drop some

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

I know these two kids will never be around for the Pats to take and also that the Pats do not value the WR position in the first round but Patterson and Austin are off the chart dynamic athletes with the ball in their hands.

OK back to reality but it was fun to watch their game clips.

wel having both woudl be great. but give me the outside wr patterson. we can add a harvin later or use our demps/edelman/hern

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I think I'm with you, MB.  Austin is wowing us at the combine, and I do really like him as a prospect, but given a choice between him and Hopkins I'd take Hopkins.  Either guy would be okay with me at #29 though...

i woulnt take austin with our current needs, would take hopkins

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I think I'm with you, MB.  Austin is wowing us at the combine, and I do really like him as a prospect, but given a choice between him and Hopkins I'd take Hopkins.  Either guy would be okay with me at #29 though...

Yeah, I just think his overall skill set at 6-1 214 is hard to pass up... kid is clutch and has proven that he can put a team on this back, be the alpha dog.

I'm adding Austin back to my board though as I'd be pretty happy if he lands up in Foxboro... certainly has the speed/quicks/COD skill set that BB values.

I agree with both of you on this.  I like the 6'1", 214 pounds over the smaller Austin but don't get me wrong... If the Pats ended up drafting Austin I would be pretty darn happy.  Of course it's hard to say but the only question concerning the smaller Austin would be his durability at the NFL level.  Can he take all the hits Welker can?  If they replace Welker I certainly wouldn't mind seeing this Austin kid being that guy.

i dotn want wr in rd 1, unless we get a pass rusher in fa. even then id lean cb if top taelnt is there.

though cb and big outside wr i have as tied for 2nd highest need for me.

hard to complain if we get hopkins or one of teh top big outisde wrs (just think pass rusher more valuable)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

are you seeing now some top nfl.com mockers moving floyd up to pcik # 3.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

What are your thoughts, do the Patriots draft offense or defense with their first draft pick?  Or do they take vest player on their board at the time?

I'm not a big draft guy so please be easy on me here with this question as I have been thinking about it for for a couple years now.

You hear a lot about teams still draft by selecting the best available player on their board at they time they draft instead of targeting a specific position they need.  Does this philosophy still make sense in todays football? 

get need in fa,ie pass rusher, cb, even dt

then in draft can get bpa.

defense need is higher than o, but need to fill our needs AND get bpa.

PLAYMAKERS at pass rusher, cb (along with talib), and big wr and this team will go places.

other needs o line, speedy cover lb, safety, dt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Wow, TJ Moe had 26 reps at 225... Bama OT DJ Fluker had 21... I get it, he has 36+ in arms, ha.

moe was the guy bouncing the bar off his chest every rep and getting his back off the bench almost as frequntly (wouldnt be given credit for any lifts in a comp). granted this is a silly beauty contest, but if you are gonna do it, the conditions/rules should be equal...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

"As long as Tanks knee checked out or checks out I would not see how anyone would not take him long before the Pats pick."

my take too.

edit, reading too fast.

knee checks out he will stil drop i think , its an injury and will need to revcover.

id consider him at 29. think he drops to rd 2 but not to bottom of rd 2 (if we dont pull trigger at 29)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm still hoping Hankins drops (seems unlikely with the latest Star news) but I went back and watched some of my DVR stuff from Senior Bowl week and I must say I'm glad I stayed on the Jenkins band wagon. Jenkins was one of the best DL at the Senior Bowl and reminded me of Wilfork a lot. He was pushing the pocket and being very disruptive as well as stopping every run within arms reach. What surprised me is that he seemed more explosive then I remember on game tape. Not sure where it came from but C's were having really hard times keeping control of him after the snap. He's back to my #2 on my top 5 wishes for pick #29 (though he never dropped below #3)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

Wow, TJ Moe had 26 reps at 225... Bama OT DJ Fluker had 21... I get it, he has 36+ in arms, ha.

moe was the guy bouncing the bar off his chest every rep and getting his back off the bench almost as frequntly (wouldnt be given credit for any lifts in a comp). granted this is a silly beauty contest, but if you are gonna do it, the conditions/rules should be equal...

I don't care if he was bouncing the bar or not, that's some solid upperbody strength for a slot WR... and I highly doubt he was the only player not using correct form, etc.

Not to mention comps are a joke, with the ability to use bench shirts... if you cant lift the weight without a bench shirt, then you can't lift the weight.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Not to change the focus on WR, but did anyone see this or have anymore info?  I hope he is ok.

AP

Star Lotulelei, a defensive tackle from Utah who is widely viewed as one of the best players in this year’s draft, was found to have a heart condition when examined at the Scouting Combine.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reports that Lotulelei’s left ventricle is pumping at 44 percent efficiency, below the normal range of 55 percent to 70 percent. As a result, Lotulelei will leave Indianapolis without going through any workouts.

Lotulelei’s condition was discovered via an echocardiogram conducted as part of the normal Combine medical evaluation. He will now return home to Utah to undergo more tests.

ESPN’s Scouts, Inc. ranks Lotulelei as the No. 1 overall player in this year’s draft, at any position. NFL Network’s Mike Mayock calls Lotulelei the second-best defensive tackle in the draft.

jsut heard this. some teams i would expect would shy away. heart ventrical. maybe solved. maybe never return. maybe return. but at top 3 you want a 10 year stud. woudl expecthe woudl drop some

this is an interesting problem, he could fall dramatically.  if he was within 5-10 picks of us i would trade up for him!  Hankins would be a great choice as well!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Unofficial 40/10 yard split times for the first group of DL this AM:

Best 40 times:

4.53 for Jordan

4.53 for Lemonier

4.60 for Hunt

4.62 for Ansah

4.71 for Buchanan

Best 10 yard splits times:

Ansah 1.56

Jordan 1.57

Lemonier 1.57

Buchanan 1.59

Hunt 1.62

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to natesubs's comment:

AP

this is an interesting problem, he could fall dramatically.  if he was within 5-10 picks of us i would trade up for him!  Hankins would be a great choice as well!

Prob wanna find out the severity of the condition before I'd talk about trading up for him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Best 40 times:

4.53 for Jordan

4.53 for Lemonier

4.60 for Hunt

4.62 for Ansah

4.71 for Buchanan

Ansah 1.56

Jordan 1.57

Lemonier 1.57

Buchanan 1.59

Hunt 1.62

Wow, Hunt 4.6 for a guy his size. Jeez might give him a huge boast

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Best 40 times:

4.53 for Jordan

4.53 for Lemonier

4.60 for Hunt

4.62 for Ansah

4.71 for Buchanan

Ansah 1.56

Jordan 1.57

Lemonier 1.57

Buchanan 1.59

Hunt 1.62

Curious to see his 3C/SS #'s as we kind of expected that he'd move well in a straight line (though a 4.6 is impressive nonetheless, agreed)... the stiffness seems to be the knock... if he has good times in those (2) drills, or at the very least the SS, then I agree, it'll be a huge boost.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Best 40 times:

4.53 for Jordan

4.53 for Lemonier

4.60 for Hunt

4.62 for Ansah

4.71 for Buchanan

Ansah 1.56

Jordan 1.57

Lemonier 1.57

Buchanan 1.59

Hunt 1.62

Curious to see his 3C/SS #'s as we kind of expected that he'd move well in a straight line (though a 4.6 is impressive nonetheless, agreed)... the stiffness seems to be the knock... if he has good times in those (2) drills, or at the very least the SS, then I agree, it'll be a huge boost.

Holy, his bench press was 38 reps, for arms his size my god that's a ton of strength

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Just because it's interesting to think about in fantasy land:

#29 - Jonathan Jenkins

mind 2nd - Trade Mallet for early-mid 2nd for Margus Hunt

#60 - Davis/McFadden/Poyer

#92 - Patton/Wheaton/Wilson

7th - Mathieu and Cragg

FA - Goldson, Talib/DRC/Houston, Backup QB (get Brady replacement next year in a deep QB draft with 1st)

Then you move Hern to a slot WR/HB with Cragg as backup, Gronk/Ballard starting TE's, dump Fells keep Hoom

Then have a starting D of Hunt, Jenkins, Wilfork, Jones, Hightower, Mayo, Spike, Talib/DRC/Houston, Dennard, McCourty, Goldson

wow, that might be a very imposing D

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Hunt is an athletic specimen. Question always has been with him is his rawness. 

I tell you what...I went back and watched some highlights of the hawaii bowl, and he had an amazing performance. 

I am starting to rethink where we might go early in this draft...I know we need help on the inside of the line, but premium pass rushers at the de spot might be more critical assuming we could get a bigger kid inside later, and put our eggs in the love, armstead, Pryor, bucket for the interior of the line. I would love to have a line with 2 guys at 6'5"+, 270+ on the outside, and 6'3"+, 310+ on the inside...

ansah, hunt / Pryor, love / vw / jones. 

Question is what do you do with nink, Francis, bequette, Scott, Cunningham? Seems like we have a lot of depth there but other than nink who is a decent starter, lots of potential but no game changers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

With the uncertainty of Vollmer, I was researching potential OT options and found a kid that could be intriguing to BB/NC for multiple reasons:

1.  He's on OSU kid, so he'll get in-depth knowledge of the kid from UM/MV.

2.  The kid is a former TE, so you know there's some athleticism/feet there.

3.  He's 6-8, so he has the length that they've looked for in the position.

The kid's name is Reid Fragel, he's 6-8 308 (33 inch arms which aren't ideal) and could be an upside option at some point on Day 3.

Kid needs work from a technique standpoint as he can lunge/overextend, but the natural ability is there... good feet/movement ability both laterally and in space.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

With the uncertainty of Vollmer, I was researching potential OT options and found a kid that could be intriguing to BB/NC for multiple reasons:

The kid's name is Reid Fragel, he's 6-8 308 (33 inch arms which aren't ideal) and could be an upside option at some point on Day 3.

Kid needs work from a technique standpoint as he can lunge/overextend, but the natural ability is there... good feet/movement ability both laterally and in space.

Also look at the BC kid Cleary. I was impressed by him on Sat. Good foot movement and decent size (6'7" 34.25" arms 316). Needs to add strength and is a RT only but a solid overall project with very high upside. The one thing we know about BC OL is they can be coached and take to coaching very well. Might be an interesting raw talent to give to Scar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Also look at the BC kid Cleary. I was impressed by him on Sat. Good foot movement and decent size (6'7" 34.25" arms 316). Needs to add strength and is a RT only but a solid overall project with very high upside. The one thing we know about BC OL is they can be coached and take to coaching very well. Might be an interesting raw talent to give to Scar

I'll give him a look... same with his teammate John Wetzel.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'll give him a look... same with his teammate John Wetzel.

Wetzel I'm less fond of. He's very heavy footed with no lateral movement. Wetzel will have to kick inside to have a chance at the next level

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts