***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

6) TE is an area I'm going to keep an eye on depending on Sudfeld, but I think they love to keep 3-4 TE's on the roster at bare minimum and currently a mid round TE to develop looks like a good option.

7) Depending on what they are looking to do with Mallett another QB is always on the radar but a UDFA to develop over 3-4 years with Brady seems more likely than one in the first 2 days

All in all I'm not sure I'd be looking at RB, T, C (unless they are a swing player), LB, or FS but it is BB after all. My focus is squarely on the D this next year as the 6 year? rebuild continues with the DB's and some depth/developing starters on the DL early in the draft

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

Good post, PE... I agree with you on almost everything... particularly the continued need to upgrade the secondary both at SS (Really like Craig Loston, Antone Exum, Ed Reynolds and HHCD) and CB (Good projected depth/talent (Roby, etc.) in this class as well) and the huge need to upgrade the overall talent/depth at DT.  I also think WR and TE (Arthur Lynch/CJ, etc.) could be areas of focus... particularly TE with it's relative lack of roster depth.

The only thing I really disagree with at this point is at QB.  Now I don't think they have to take one on Day 1 or 2, but I think it comes down to value/who's available, etc.  If a Tajh Boyd or Mariota or McCarron or another QB is there and you think he projects as TB's replacement (over Mallett) then I think he's at least in the discussion.  Personally, I don't see Mallet as the long term replacement as I haven't really seen a ton of progression in his game... still has the huge arm, but his delivery/release/reads appear to be slow and he's not /hasn't been accurate... just an overall lack of consistency, though some of that could be chalked up to PT.

2014 might be a unique draft class, in that the supply of QBs will exceed need.

• I can see at least four getting first round ratings - Bridgewater, Boyd, Mariota, McCarron.
    • I would not be surprised if a couple of other QBs, who, through the course of the season, show game that warrant first round ratings.
    • It also looks like the next tier will be good enough to have had second round ratings in previous years.

Given these, it's conceivable that there's a good QB available in the third.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

MB, Tuitt looks a step slower than I remember him to be last year. I think he's too big. I like him at 310. What do you think? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

WK1 GAME RECAP

LSU vs TCU

I was watching TCU more than LSU. LSU gets more coverage so I know I will have opportunity to catch them later in the season, which probably is better because they will have gelled by then. Other than Mettenberger, I was watching the TCU secondary.

• Mettenberger IMO improved a lot from last year. He still has not shown an ability to take over a game, but I think he could develop into a very good manager. He’s best pass was thrown towards the end of the game (3:45 to go in the fourth). He threw a long bullet to the back shoulder of his receiver running along the left sideline. TCU’s White did an excellent job covering the receiver, but Mettenberger’s throw was so perfect and the receiver’s anticipation and hands were so good that it did not matter how good White’s coverage was.
    • Loston is definitely a S to watch. I did not watch him much, but did notice the 4Q play where he and his CB foiled a good first down throw by Boykin.

On the TCU side, I was trying to watch Verrett, but ended up noticing a couple of other kids in the TCU secondary.

• Kevin White, #25, I thought was really good. Definitely someone to continue watching. At 5-10, he’s just an inch shorter than Revis. The big question is if he can gain 20 lbs and still be as quick. He’s only 175 lbs.
    • A So S also caught my eye. Chris Hackett, #1, I thought showed a lot of range and tenacity. He also has a very nice height for a S (6’2”).
    • Pachall showed rust – both in terms of his ball speed and his recognition of situations. He did not look impressive.

I'm a big Loston guy... kid just flies around the field and blows people up... also shows very good instincts an awarenes... he'll need to play a bit more under control at times as he can come in hot with his head down and miss a few tackles, but the kid has the size and skill set to excel at SS and the versatility to play in the deep half/single high or down in the box.

I'll have to check out the other (2) TCU DB's that you mentioned.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

WK1 GAME RECAP

FLORDIA STATE vs PITTSBURGH

FSU is loaded with talent – not necessarily top 10 pick talent in the 2014 draft, but a handful of kids who could go from #10 through #72

• OL is solid. It’s hard to tell who is best, but both guards – Carter (#65) and Matias (#70) – and the LT Erving (#75) made it easy for freshman QB Winston to play an exceptional game vs Pitt. Both Erving and Matias are 6’6”, 320 lbs – definitely NFL-sized kids.
    • I missed Jackson, another OG on FSU who is supposed to be very good.
    • FSU RB Wilder (6’2”, 230 lbs) has a very good combination of power, burst and vision. Could be a top 5 RB in the 2013 draft (he’s a junior)
    • Kevin Benjamin – under-the-radar 6’5”, 230 lb WR. Looks good when his QB threw to him. Strong on contested balls and gets decent separation
    • I did not watch the D a lot.

Pittsburgh did not have the kind of talent FSU had on the field

• WR Devin Street – another 6’5” 230 lb guy. Pretty much was the only weapon that the Pitt QB had to work with. He was covered well, but still managed to pull down a couple of good passes; Will continue to be on the watch list.
    • QB Tom Savage – Played decent ball considering the talent mismatch with FSU. Good arm and smart. Likely to be more of a game manager if he played in the NFL.

Last comment

Not relevant for 2014 draft: FSU QB Winston will be in the discussion for 2015 #1 overall pick and the 2013-14 Heisman. A rFr, he made quarterbacking look really easy vs. Pitt. Finished the first half with a 17/18 completion rate. My only criticism of him is he sometimes throws on his back foot. On the other hand, even when throwing on his back foot, he throws long and accurate. The kid is 6’4”, 230 lbs, scrambles when needed and can throw well on the run.

Benjamin and Street both flashed some ability... benjamin in particular looks like a very good potential flex type kid as he's 6-5 234 and will probably get bigger... and Street can make a living on the outside as more of a grande possession WR... love the size/length and didn't look overmatched against FSU... kid has produced as well.

Christian Jones is a name to watch on the FSU D, kid is an athletic and physical specimen at LB, but needs to be more consistent... he'll be an interesting kid to follow.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Watching the 4th Q of FLA vs MIA

Maybe I'll change my mind about Driskell. He's a tough kid. He's taken a lot of hits. He's still up and unfazed.

As a side note on Driskell, he also signed a contract with the Red Sox after being drafted this summer, so if his career isn't in football, he still may end up as a Boston athlete some day, ha.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

BC fan (hoping this is the year they become relevant again):

I saw you had Devitto (LB) on your list.    How about Kevin Pierre-Louis (LB) as a rising Day 2 pick?  He probably needs to add 10 pounds or so, but he looks like a player.  Will know more after the game at USC next week.

Kid def needs to add weight (listed at 225) and is a smaller backer overall (Lavonte David sized kid), but def profiles as a solid fit for teams that employ smaller, quicker LB's to fit their 43 scheme.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

MB, Tuitt looks a step slower than I remember him to be last year. I think he's too big. I like him at 310. What do you think? 

I think both Tuitt and Nix possess elite movement abilities/athleticism for the DL position, but I too would like to see Tuitt a bit lighter in his britches... believe he started the year at or around 325 pounds.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

ND's Troy Niklas is another name to add to the TE discussion... kid is a giant (6-7 265) and looks like Drago in a uniform... he's also a kid with good athleticism, soft hands and the ability to play inline our flexed out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Nice to have the best thread going around back. Its the only reason why I come to this site. I'm mostly excited to watch a South Florida game and see if Aaron Lynch has been getting better since leaving Notre Dame. He has the Size and the speed to be a great pass rusher at the next level. My favorite player on the board to fit the Pats is Craig Loston. "playmaker"

Let the thousands of post begin.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to maine12's comment:

Nice to have the best thread going around back. Its the only reason why I come to this site. I'm mostly excited to watch a South Florida game and see if Aaron Lynch has been getting better since leaving Notre Dame. He has the Size and the speed to be a great pass rusher at the next level. My favorite player on the board to fit the Pats is Craig Loston. "playmaker"

Let the thousands of post begin.

Go Black Bears!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Just looking at our secondary I'm looking at Craig Loston SS LSU and wondering how good he would look next to McCourty. The guy has some size and decent sideline to sideline ability. He might end up being the #1 SS in the draft this year with some great instincts and good ability to make plays on balls. The one thing I've noticed about him is he learns and doesn't take many bad angles. It's like a Meriweather that can learn and doesn't go for the knockout hit instead of just making the play. I might be crossing my fingers on this one.

One other S I'd really like to see more of is Kenny Ladler from the Van. Started college out as a SS and moved over to FS where he captains the secondary. He's very good at breaking down plays and always seems to be in the right position at the right time. He's a slightly bigger version of McCourty really. If you can move him back to SS how nice would it be to have essentially two captains back there. Though I think someone will be looking late day 1 early day 2 at him as a possible FS but I think his more natural position in the NFL will be SS

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Looks like JAX, MIN and NYJ will top the list of QB-needy teams come 2014 draft day.

MY LIST OF QB RISERS: None

MY LIST OF QBs FALLING:

Mariota - Still playing okay, but his completion rate has dropped down really close to 50% versus something like 67% last year.

Pachall - Showed a lot of rust in first two games. Not good enough completion rate so far.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Looks like JAX, MIN and NYJ will top the list of QB-needy teams come 2014 draft day.

MY LIST OF QBs FALLING:

Mariota - Still playing okay, but his completion rate has dropped down really close to 50% versus something like 67% last year.

Pachall - Showed a lot of rust in first two games. Not good enough completion rate so far.

Not sure about the Jets. Their new GM just grabbed Geno, it would be career suicide to go out and get another QB with a high pick next year.

I agree Jax and Min top the list of QB needy teams. The others I have on the list are TB, Oak, Ari, Mia (depenant on Tan this year), Titans, maybe Clev. There are a good number of teams this year that could be looking for a QB. Of course there were a good number last year but there were no QB's to grab so you saw Palmer get another job 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Just looking at our secondary I'm looking at Craig Loston SS LSU and wondering how good he would look next to McCourty. The guy has some size and decent sideline to sideline ability. He might end up being the #1 SS in the draft this year with some great instincts and good ability to make plays on balls. The one thing I've noticed about him is he learns and doesn't take many bad angles. It's like a Meriweather that can learn and doesn't go for the knockout hit instead of just making the play. I might be crossing my fingers on this one.

One other S I'd really like to see more of is Kenny Ladler from the Van. Started college out as a SS and moved over to FS where he captains the secondary. He's very good at breaking down plays and always seems to be in the right position at the right time. He's a slightly bigger version of McCourty really. If you can move him back to SS how nice would it be to have essentially two captains back there. Though I think someone will be looking late day 1 early day 2 at him as a possible FS but I think his more natural position in the NFL will be SS

I'm with you on Loston, had posted about him on the previous tab... kid's a banger with solid range/instincts and closing ability as you mention.  He's also a 5th year player and while he'll be 24 (in December) I believe, I'm not so worried about his age as if he can even make 10 years in the league, it'd be a solid career for a kid that plays as physical as he does.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

If Devin Gardner declares for the draft, that's a guy I'd love to see us take a flyer on. 

We know Belichick loves versatility and is fascinated with the read option. Gardner isn't built like a LB, but he's big enough to take a few hits without consequence. Furthermore, he has a great head on his shoulders, can throw the ball very well, make all the reads, and is a high-character guy. 

With the direction the NFL is going with regards to the read option, I think Gardner could have huge success in the league. If you like what you see out of Gardner, you keep him around as Brady's heir-apparent and can use Mallett as trade bait. 

Let's go Pats!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

MY LIST OF QBs FALLING:

I would list Michigan QB Devin Gardner as a riser for sure... I mean, we knew he was a good sized kid with athletic ability, but I don't think anybody expected him to perform this well, this early.  Kid can beat you with his arm or his feet and looks every bit the part of the "new age" QB at this point, in his first full year starting at the position.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I like Alabama's T.J. Yeldon 6'2" 218. Good vision and cuts.  He reminds me of a much stronger Demarco Murray.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BILLB50. Show BILLB50's posts

Mike Evans Texas A & M,what does everybody think of him? He is 6" 5' and has go speed.            

Would he be a good pick or is he redundant to Dobson.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

I like Alabama's T.J. Yeldon 6'2" 218. Good vision and cuts.  He reminds me of a much stronger Demarco Murray.

I agree. But is he elligible next year?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

MY LIST OF QBs FALLING:

I would list Michigan QB Devin Gardner as a riser for sure... I mean, we knew he was a good sized kid with athletic ability, but I don't think anybody expected him to perform this well, this early.  Kid can beat you with his arm or his feet and looks every bit the part of the "new age" QB at this point, in his first full year starting at the position.

If PHI's 80-100 plays a game is the next trend in pro football, would we see these teams needing a QB platoon like teams now have at RB? I cannot see teams running on more 50% of the plays, including QB runs. And I certainly can't see QBs last the season throwing 50 passes a game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Kid looks like the next stud Bama back... won't be draft eligible until the 2015 draft though.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to BILLB50's comment:

Mike Evans Texas A & M,what does everybody think of him? He is 6" 5' and has go speed.            

Evans could end up the #1 WR in the 2014 draft class when all is said and done... kid is huge, athletic, very good COD/coordination for tall/long WR... good technique/ability/effort as a blocker... can elevate and will be an excellent redzone target... good RAC ability... good ball skills/hands... kid has immense upside, IMO.

Kid isn't a burner, but he'll make plays down the field and he's a draft eligible soph... he also absolutely abused Alabama on Sat.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

[QUOTE]

Evans could end up the #1 WR in the 2014 draft class when all is said and done... kid is huge, athletic, very good COD/coordination for tall/long WR... good technique/ability/effort as a blocker... can elevate and will be an excellent redzone target... good RAC ability... good ball skills/hands... kid has immense upside, IMO.

Kid isn't a burner, but he'll make plays down the field and he's a draft eligible soph... he also absolutely abused Alabama on Sat.

[/QUOTE]

isn`t he the guy who a college ofered money to him?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

isn`t he the guy who a college ofered money to him?

Quite possible, seems to be how things are done in the SEC and across college football.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

ND's Troy Niklas is another name to add to the TE discussion... kid is a giant (6-7 265) and looks like Drago in a uniform... he's also a kid with good athleticism, soft hands and the ability to play inline our flexed out.

I did notice the guy. Which Drago are you talking about? Ivan?