***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

DT is definately a team need next offseason. I hope the Pats address it both in FA and the draft. I would love if they added 2 big bodies to back up Vince and Kelly, especially with age becoming a concern.  Anyway I caught some of the Georgia/ Tenn game last night and wasn't overly impressed with McCullers. Love his size but he looks like he could be more effective if he dropped about 20 lbs. ( just my opinion) I was much more impressed with Jenkins around this time last year, who seems to be off to a good start with the saints.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Colt Lyerla has issues. Sure hope the Pats stay away from him even if he drops to the 7th

EUGENE, Ore. -- Tight end Colt Lyerla is leaving No. 2 Oregon because of personal reason.

Lyerla did not travel with the Ducks to their game at Colorado on Saturday. Coach Mark Helfrich said after the 57-16 victory that the junior was suspended for a game for violating team rules.

The nature of the violation wasn't disclosed, but earlier this season a disagreement between Lyerla and Helfrich went public after the tight end missed the Ducks' game against Tennessee with an illness.

Oregon does not disclose injuries, so after the game Helfrich described the tight end's absence as "circumstances." Lyerla then complained to The Oregonian newspaper the he felt the description could be unfairly interpreted.

He later apologized for airing his frustration publicly and said he never meant to be a distraction. Both he and Helfrich said they'd discussed the matter and moved on, but Lyerla did not catch a pass in Oregon's next game against Cal, and then was suspended against Colorado.

Lyerla told Oregon's athletics website that his withdrawal from the Ducks on Sunday had nothing to do with that suspension.

"I love everyone at Oregon; everyone's on good terms, I believe," Lyerla said. "Just for my own benefit, it was time to move on."

Lyerla also told GoDucks.com that he will pursue an NFL career.

He caught three passes for 26 yards this season. For his career, he caught 34 passes for 565 yards and 11 touchdowns.

"We wish Colt nothing but the best in the future, and will support him in any way we can," Helfrich told GoDucks.com, declining further comment on the matter.

Lyerla also landed in the doghouse this summer for going to Twitter with his support of conspiracy theories surrounding the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Connecticut. One of his posts concerned the parents of the young victims.

The school issued a strongly worded statement condemning the post.

"Twitter posts attributed to student-athlete Colt Lyerla concerning the tragedy at Sandy Hook are insensitive and offensive, especially those devastated by the shootings, and we have communicated as much to Colt," the statement said.

He also missed the first several days of fall camp his sophomore year for personal reasons.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

This is my way, way to early first mock draft but after the lose yesterday I seriously sat down and looked at the Pats short comings and wanted to make a first mock for the areas of need I see coming. So with that I am assuming the Pats make the playoffs but don't make it out of the 2nd round (as the team currently stands I don't think they are going deep) so I gave them pick #25 as such. Here's what I came up with:

1st round - Ed Reynolds SS Stanford

Given a look at their cap they would save some money by cutting Gregory, A. Wilson, and lose a bit on T. Wilson. They might keep A. Wilson to see what he can do in camp but Gregory might not be worth the expense and T. Wilson is a why BB why pick in the 2nd. I would go early on the SS end and grab Reynolds. Reynolds is a very smart SS with great instincts. I expect him to move up in the board possibly past the 25th pick but as it stands right now that's about where his value is. He would be a good fit next to McCourty moving forward and should help stabilize the back end of the scondary with Harmon as main backup

2nd round - Daniel McCullers DT/NT Tenn

With the Wilfork injury and Kelly being a question mark after last game it's beyond nesseciary to get a good sized DT/NT player. I love McCullers size and skill set. He's having an off year so far but I see 1st round potential and helpfully his off year continues to give us a chance to grab him in the 2nd. I see him much like I did Phil Taylor who later exploded during his last college year and flew up draft boards. To me McCullers is a guy I want to take over Wilforks role in the future

3rd round - CJ Fiedorowicz TE Iowa

CJ is an overall TE. A very solid blocker with some good catch ability that seems to be getting better with each year. He'll never be a Gronk or Hern but he most certainly is a Hooman upgrade and would be a very solid #2 TE overall

4th round - Travis Raciti DT San Jose State

This one might have some heads scratching but this kid has a ton of potential as an interior rusher. If we are going DT I want to double dip with one big body and one high potential pass rusher and Raciti fits that role. He's about 300lbs with 5.1 speed and great hand movement resulting in 8.5 sacks from the inside last year. He could be a nice guy to develop for a couple years

5th round - Brandon Thomas G/C Clemson

I was going to go with Lowery a G who is hampered by injures this year and is from Rutgers (seems like an instant BB pick right?) but Lowery and Schiano butted heads so I doubt that BB would want him. Instead Thomas is a solid already blocker who needs some work but the potential is their in a zone blocking scheme with the ability to flex from G to C

6th round - Chuckie Keeton QB Utah State

Here is where BB wishes he can redraft Brady but sadly that day is done however, Keeton coming from a smaller school reminds me a lot of Brady in the preyears. Makes very good decisions with the ball, has a good pocket presence, and is very accurate with the ball. I am in no way saying he's Brady but with Mallett maybe having a year left with the team this kid might be worth a good look.

7th round - Random CB from Rutgers

I'm not even going to bother attempting this one. There is no shot BB doesn't try to grab a CB and Rutgers seems like as good a place as any in the 7th

But Eng you may ask, where are the WR's or an earlier CB? Well my friends how I think about it, this year seems like a 06' year for the WRs so I expect them to go out and sign a FA or two to fill that role. I also envision them attempting to resign Talib but maybe going the FA route with a CB again after it appears they can't draft a CB to save their lives, unless he happens to punch a cop. LB and most of the OL I can't see them going early or even late for the LB nor can I see them going RB unless to get a kick returner/punt returner/gunner. Really I'm locking in on DT, SS, and Te as the biggest areas of need with depth needed to develop at QB, OG/C, and CB. The DE's seem fine as do the T's.

So that's my way to early draft this year lets see how I do after the combine as I expect a couple of these names to shoot up the boards and will have to be removed (because BB won't trade up) and be replaced later.
    I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

PatsEng, good stuff  ^. We agree on team needs (DT, SS, TE). I like Fiedorowicz alot. Raciti sounds interesting, I'll have to check him out

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Oregon TE Colt Lyerla, a potential Rd 1 pick when the season started, has withdrawn from school.

Kid is a fr!gg1n headcase, IMO... first he makes idiotic comments about Sandy Hook, then questions his coach publically... I hope BB/NC stay far, far away from this moron.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/06/te-colt-lyerla-withdraws-from-oregon-on-good-terms/

EDIT: Just saw Homecheese's post... sorry for the duplicate.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Bama S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix has been "suspended indefinitely" for accepting $500 from a Tide Assistan S&C coach.  I love how these "suspensions" always seem to line up with the weakest team on the schedule.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/HaHa_Clinton-Dix?Title=Alabama-assistant-strength-coach-placed-on-administrative-leave-for-providing-money-to-HaHa-Clinton-Dix

1) The kid can play

2) Yes... it does appear that suspensions on big teams line up with the weak part of the sched

Def, might be the best S available in this class.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

Liked AJ from the get go. Considerably less of a knucklehead than Manziel and will continue to face excellent competition. Just looks very mature both as a player and person. Still see Bridgewater and Mariotta (if he can continue to pile up great stats) as ahead of McCarron. Where does McCarron fall in the draft I could see 15-25 as his potential landing spot, however he could also be a late 2nd rounder if Boyd is on the board. Where do think Mc Carron lands MB???

If the Pats draft Mc Carron there will be awesome catfights in luxury boxes (Giselle and Webb and Krafts GF). PPV-worthy.

I think you could potentially see as many as (10) QB's with Rd 1/Top 64 grades (list below in no particular order)... I see McCarron as a solid Rd 2 kid (Top 40-50) with Rd 1 upside.  You may not see all (10) declare, but this could be one of the deepest QB drafts that we've seen in a long, long time.

Bridgewater- Lousiville

Hundley- UCLA

Mariota- Oregon

Boyd- Clemson

McCarron- Alabama

Gardner- Mich

Manziel- Tex A&M

Morris- Miami

Fales- SJSU

Murray- Georgia

You may want to drop Fales off your list. I now have seen two of his games. Unless he improves dramatically, he won't be picked even in the second or third.

On both games, I saw him consistently struggle throwing screen passes. It's hard to imagine a QB struggle with that but he does going either direction. Not sure if related, but he also seems to not connect on plays that rely heavily on timing. Not accurate enough on short and mid-range passes, for my taste.

He can throw a nice long ball.

Thanks for the feedback, man... based on nothing other than my gut, I think Aaron Murray will ultimately be drafted as BB's successor... at some point on Day 2.  Personally, I still like/want McCarron.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Catching up ons ome college games on the DVR. Now watching ARIZONA @ WASHINGTON.

I find it interesting that Sefarian Jenkins is not being thrown to much.

UW's Sankey (RB) - Someone mentioned him earlier. I think it was MB. He is a player. I know the Pats is set at RB. I am just acknowledging here the post on Sankey.

Two of UW's defesnive players look interesting and they probably won't shoot up the draft boards.

UW DT Danny Shelton (6'1", 325): He played like he can stop Arizona's run game all by himself.

UW CB Marcus Peters (5'11", 193): Good cover skills and reliable tackler; got called for PI for getting in contact with his receiver a tad early. Otherwise solid game.

ARI CB Shaquille Richardson (6'1", 186): If he keeps up his play, watch out. This kid will shoot up to the second day of the draft at least.

Believe it was Godverment that mentioned Sankey... good player... I've heard the comps to forward Huskie Napoleon Kaufman (loved him as a kid).

I'm gonna give Shelton a look... certainly has the girth that BB likes in his interior players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

This is my current Pats draft wish list updated - given team needs, players with up big side and those likely available in the respective round:

1. DT - Johnson, LSU   (May pick Sutton or even Hagman, Minn if availalbe. all worthy) 

2. SS - Bailey,  USC (I would rather have a S that can also play OLB then a Rugby player who can't play safety)  Loston, LSU would be my alternative pick  

3. TE -  Fiedorowicz, IowaLynch, Georgia; or Grimble, USC  (in that order. good size 6'5")

4. OG - Long, Neb; or Filo, UCLA  (6'5" 320.  would like to get Grory, but likely gone. maybe I take Grory in the 3rd and hope one of the above TEs are still availalbe in 4 or trade up.) 

5. WR - Street, Pitt (6'3", 192 speed, schmeed. dude is smart, gets open and catches the ball)

6. and 7.  Take another gamble with another character issue (Denard) or injured player (Cannon). Maybe WR Mitchell, Georgia will enter the draft and/or TE Lyerla will still be available?    

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

This is my current Pats draft wish list updated - given team needs, players with up big side and those likely available in the respective round:

1. DT - Johnson, LSU   (May pick Sutton or even Hagman, Minn if availalbe. all worthy) 

2. SS - Bailey,  USC (I would rather have a S that can also play OLB then a Rugby player who can't play safety)  Loston, LSU would be my alternative pick  

3. TE -  Fiedorowicz, IowaLynch, Georgia; or Grimble, USC  (in that order. good size 6'5")

4. OG - Long, Neb; or Filo, UCLA  (6'5" 320.  would like to get Grory, but likely gone. maybe I take Grory in the 3rd and hope one of the above TEs are still availalbe in 4 or trade up.) 

5. WR - Street, Pitt (6'3", 192 speed, schmeed. dude is smart, gets open and catches the ball)

6. and 7.  Take another gamble with another character issue (Denard) or injured player (Cannon). Maybe WR Mitchell, Georgia will enter the draft and/or TE Lyerla will still be available?    

I would be tempted to draft a QB in 2014

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think it's deep enough we could get a good one to develop in the mid rounds so this might be a good one to get one, if we want to develop them for 2-3yrs down the road. Otherwise it might be better to wait till 2015 and use a 1st in a Rogers type situation as the lower teams will fill up on QB's in this draft and let a good one or two fall in 2015

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I think it's deep enough we could get a good one to develop in the mid rounds so this might be a good one to get one, if we want to develop them for 2-3yrs down the road. Otherwise it might be better to wait till 2015 and use a 1st in a Rogers type situation as the lower teams will fill up on QB's in this draft and let a good one or two fall in 2015

I don't get how BB makes his draft decisions, so I will only respond with what I would want them to do, not what I think they will do.

I think 2014 is absolutely the year to draft a QB. The depth is like no other year. Take a look at this list of QBs who could come out.

Bridgewater

Boyd

Mariota

Hundley

Manziel

McCarron

Murray

Mettenberger - His improvement from last year has been impressive

Carr

Some of them are definitely first rounders. Whether the others on that list are first rounders will be debatable, but they are pretty close to it. Yet, I can't believe all of those QBs will be taken in the first round. A good QB will be available in the second, maybe the third.

---

Below that list are QBs who would make good value on the third day...

Petty

Wilson

Keeton

Mannion

Guiton

And those are just the QBs I have seen play this year.

I am not sure anyone's going to be there in 2015. Maybe FSU's QB? Is he elligible in 2015?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I don't get how BB makes his draft decisions, so I will only respond with what I would want them to do, not what I think they will do.

I think 2014 is absolutely the year to draft a QB. The depth is like no other year. Take a look at this list of QBs who could come out.

Bridgewater

Boyd

Mariota

Hundley

Manziel

McCarron

Murray

Mettenberger - His improvement from last year has been impressive

Carr

Some of them are definitely first rounders. Whether the others on that list are first rounders will be debatable, but they are pretty close to it. Yet, I can't believe all of those QBs will be taken in the first round. A good QB will be available in the second, maybe the third.

---

Below that list are QBs who would make good value on the third day...

Petty

Wilson

Keeton

Mannion

Guiton

And those are just the QBs I have seen play this year.

I am not sure anyone's going to be there in 2015. Maybe FSU's QB? Is he elligible in 2015?

That's why I compared it to a Rodgers type of situation. 04' we saw quite a lot of QB movement around the league and 4 QB's go in the 1st. Come 05' there just weren't that many teams that needed QB's. Rodgers was easily a top 15 pick if not top 10 but fell all the way to the Packers because no one needed a QB. We might see something similar in 15'. Say 6-7 QBs go in the first 2 rounds well those teams won't be looking for a new QB the year after. If a Hundley or Hogan or Mariota come out in 15' then you could easily see one of them drop to the Pats which anyone would be better than the day 3 guys going in 14'. Also look out for Wilson as he has high end potential too. 14' might have a better class but waiting to 15' might give you a shot at more talent depending on where you would take one in 14' 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

And I even forgot about Hogan, who definiteiy belongs in the first list above!

I think it's jst going to be a case of supply > demand. Here's my list of teams who might take a QB (not considering what might happen in FA). Even if the team takes a QB, it's hard to tell if they will take it in the first.

JAX - Certain

TBB - Almost certain

ARI - Palmer is old and has not done anything; behind him are Stanton and Lindley

OAK - Pryor seems to be serviceable; I don't think the team will miss a chance to take an upgrade

MIN - I actually have not seen Ponder in a year. I am guessing though that FO is not holding their breath for him. Ponder was not taken last year. FO will be open to try picking up an upgrade.

PHI - Vick's career in PHI is probably nearing end; Do they think Foles will lead them to salvation? Kelly may have a shot at one of Manziel, Hundley, Boyd, Mariota.

CIN - Maybe they go for an upgrade

Beyond that, we're talking about

PIT - Do they start thinking about grooming BR's heir apparent?

STL - They gotta be starting to think Bradford will not take them anywhere

DET - They could be thinking Stafford will not take them anywhere

SDC - I am in SD a lot. People there still think Rivers can be the guy of they have the OL.

I am thinking one of Mettenberger, Hogan or Murray will be available in the late second.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

I read the Jaguars and Steelers GM's are going to be attending Louisville vs Rutgers tonight. No suprise with the Jaguars but thought the Steelers was interesting. Though it could be just them doing their homework on Bridgwater and nothing more. Or checking out someone else. Just wqanted to pass this along.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Morning Boys!

Like most, I'd anticipate BB addressing the DT position this off season as VW isn't getting any younger and will be coming back from his achilles injury and while Tommy Kelly isn't out for he season, he too is nursing a knee injury... though I am intrigued to see what they get from Joe Vellano and Chris Jones (a kid I was pretty high on pre-draft last season).

With that said, I've started researching potential DT/NT fits and stumbled on a kid that would look pretty good in a Patriots uniform.

Beau Allen (6-3 325) Wisconsin is your typical Badger, blue collar mauler... very strong at the point, can eat the double, good explosion out of his stance and is a high effort kid, moving better than I thought he would.  He's not some that's going to throw up huge sack #'s, but he does what you need him to do, occupy space/blockers.  He's prob a mid/late Day 3 kid at this point, but I like him... not to mention the long hear and beard, haha.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

DaQuan Jones (6-3 333) Penn State is another DT that'll likely be on BB/NC's radar and they'll get all the info they need from BO.  He's more athletic than Beau Allen and has more upside/potential as a pass rusher... he's also strong at the POA, can occupy the double and gives a solid effort.  Looks like a late Day 2 type kid.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

You know when the guy u want is available and it is our pick, Bill will trade down, so this is futile.  Trade some picks now, for guys who can play now. OL, DL, DB, or receivers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to maine12's comment:

What a good Saturday with some very good games. I spent the entire day catching up on draft info. Here is some interesting things that Ive come away with. 

Will Sutton needs to recognized on this board. This kid is a absolute beast in the middle. It pretty clear to me that if this defense wants to keep going in the right directing they need to keep creating pass rush to get after the qb. He may be a little under sized but he packs a punch. He heads up a guard and and he can straight dominate them, he also has the ablity to move to 3-4 DE which is a reason that he would be a great fit for the Pats. Check out any game he has played this year or last and he clearly stands out, always makes a key play in a game. He is also one bad mother f*cker, thats what this defense needs. 

Domineque Easley will be the best second or third rounder taken. I have watched him every game before he tore his ACL and he was the best DL, in college football. Better production than Clowney. Would be a grea fit for NE because the ability to play anywhere on the line in a 4-3 and also could play 3-4 DE. 

If anyone watched the Wisconsin game vs Ohio St saw Teddy Bruschi playing. I mean CHRIS BORLAND. Thsi kid was outstanding in that game. Also undersized but he made plenty of stops against Ohio State the best one coming near the goal line and RB Carlos Hyde(6ft 240lbs) had an open hole and boom Borland met him head on and stood him straight up. It wasn't his only good play of the game but it defenantly made me say out laud "wow".

Another kid who deserves to be on the radar is Deone Bucannon. Hes worth a late round pick. Is an absolute thumper at the SS position. Good become a very solid late round pick. I always like a guy with great range and puts the fear into a WR. I only watched him last night but he was all over the place and taking great routes to the ball. Having a hard time finding enough video on him but last night he looked to be a beast coming forward and making tackles. The announcer said he was the hardest hitting safety he has seen this year and they showed some (valid)video proof but I couldn't find any.

I'm with you on Borland... plays the game as hard as anybody and just makes plays all over the field... he reminds me of a thicker Zach Thomas... sure his height isn't ideal.... but he's 240-250 and build like a Sherman Tank, so I wouldn't have any worries about him holding up long term.  I'd love to see him end up in Foxboro... with few of his teammates (DT Beau Allen / WR Jared Abbrederis)!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'll be curious to see what VT CB/S Antone Exum is able to do this season.  He's exactly the type of defender that teams need for today's NFL... kid is a big (6-1 225), athletic, physical defensive back (played both CB and S) with good speed and quicks that is able to man up against the bigger, more athletic flex type players.  He can be overly physical at times, which can get him in trouble with the refs, but I love his all around skill set and ability to make plays on/strip the football.

He hasn't played this season after tearing some knee ligaments in January, playing pickup basketball I believe, but he's a kid with Top 50/Rd 1 upside, IMO... I like him a lot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

ND DE Stephon Tuitt will return for his senior year... great news dor me, as an ND fan!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

ND DE Stephon Tuitt will return for his senior year... great news dor me, as an ND fan!

Well that's one big boy who's off the board. There's not many of them coming out for the 2014 draft.

The other day, I got to see UCLA vs CAL. I am really intrigued with DeAndre Coleman.

ESPN lissts him at 315. He looks bigger than he's listed. But he is athletically built. He does not look fat.

I find it hard to assess him. They do not have a lot of play makers on that D. The opposing run game seems to just avoid him. When within his reach, he does make plays. With what I've seen, I like him. Hard to explain.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

So who does everyone think BB will trust in the college coaches ranks this year around? I'm going with Penn. I think Rutgers connection might have run dry last year as most of Scha's guys were taken by BB and the new draft class doesn't have strong connections to BB's coaching tree. I'm not looking at Florida again but one interesting note might be Ohio with the Vrable connection. Ohio and Penn state might be the most likely mid-late round runs for the Pats this year

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to billge's comment:

You know when the guy u want is available and it is our pick, Bill will trade down, so this is futile.  Trade some picks now, for guys who can play now. OL, DL, DB, or receivers.

That's not the point as we have no say in the matter anyways. It's just meant to be fun and something all of us enjoy

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Well that's one big boy who's off the board. There's not many of them coming out for the 2014 draft.

The other day, I got to see UCLA vs CAL. I am really intrigued with DeAndre Coleman.

ESPN lissts him at 315. He looks bigger than he's listed. But he is athletically built. He does not look fat.

I find it hard to assess him. They do not have a lot of play makers on that D. The opposing run game seems to just avoid him. When within his reach, he does make plays. With what I've seen, I like him. Hard to explain.

Thanks for the name, I'll give him a look... also still looking for some tape on the UW kid that you mentioned, Danny Felton.

Sections
Shortcuts