***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So who does everyone think BB will trust in the college coaches ranks this year around? I'm going with Penn. I think Rutgers connection might have run dry last year as most of Scha's guys were taken by BB and the new draft class doesn't have strong connections to BB's coaching tree. I'm not looking at Florida again but one interesting note might be Ohio with the Vrable connection. Ohio and Penn state might be the most likely mid-late round runs for the Pats this year

[/QUOTE]

Good question, PE... I think you're spot on with PSU and OSU... due to Vrabel, and while there has been fallout with a few of Urban's players, I think BB will continue to utilize that connection.  Saban is also ever-present.

Another school to watch is ND, as BB and BK have formed a good relationship.

I hope he looks longer at Stanford, Mich State and Wisconsin kids as I love how they're coached up and play the game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

So who does everyone think BB will trust in the college coaches ranks this year around? I'm going with Penn. I think Rutgers connection might have run dry last year as most of Scha's guys were taken by BB and the new draft class doesn't have strong connections to BB's coaching tree. I'm not looking at Florida again but one interesting note might be Ohio with the Vrable connection. Ohio and Penn state might be the most likely mid-late round runs for the Pats this year

Good question, PE... I think you're spot on with PSU and OSU... due to Vrabel, and while there has been fallout with a few of Urban's players, I think BB will continue to utilize that connection.  Saban is also ever-present.

I hope he looks longer at Stanford, Mich State and Wisconsin kids as I love how they're coached up and play the game.

Doesn't he have connections/relationships with Illinois, Iowa coaches? ...and still has Fresno, no?

I personally like the kids from pudue over the years, generally speaking.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Doesn't he have connections/relationships with Illinois, Iowa coaches? ...and still has Fresno, no?

[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on Purdue, as it pertains to DL/DE's, etc... they've generated some productive kids.

Pat Hill is no longer with Fresno St., replaced by Tim DeRuyter.

Yes, Ferentz is still at Iowa.

Tim Beckman is the Illinois HC, not aware of a coaching tie in there, outside of him selecting Wilson/Buchanan, etc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on Purdue, as it pertains to DL/DE's, etc... they've generated some productive kids.

Tim Beckman is the Illinois HC, not aware of a coaching tie in there, outside of him selecting Wilson/Buchanan, etc.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah that is what I meant with Pudue...

I was not aware of the Fresno change, thanks for that.

I thought I had read something about the illinois coach specifically approaching BB  to make the case fo Wilson specifically and them sort of establishing a lil somehting. Maybe I just imagined it.

Did Hill go somewhere else? Get fired? Retire?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah that is what I meant with Pudue...

I was not aware of the Fresno change, thanks for that.

I thought I had read something about the illinois coach specifically approaching BB  to make the case fo Wilson specifically and them sort of establishing a lil somehting. Maybe I just imagined it.

Did Hill go somewhere else? Get fired? Retire?

[/QUOTE]

I'll have to check that Illinois piece out, thanks.  Hill was fired by Fresno State and is now the OL coach in ATL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Still have Urban Meyer at Ohio State.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

The loss of AH and Gronks injuries make TE a position of need. Hell BB usually drafts one anyway regardless of need. Haven't read any previous posts but would LOVE to see Austin Seferian- Jenkins working the middle of the field opp. Gronk with Thompkins and Dobson on the outside......

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to HelmetofLeather's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The loss of AH and Gronks injuries make TE a position of need. Hell BB usually drafts one anyway regardless of need. Haven't read any previous posts but would LOVE to see Austin Seferian- Jenkins working the middle of the field opp. Gronk with Thompkins and Dobson on the outside......

[/QUOTE]

HoL,
    Agree that TE is a position that will likely be addressed in the offseason.  Austin S-J is one of the premier names at the TE position in this class, though they'll need to check him out off the field due to his DUI and resutlting day in jail.

Another name to keep an eye on is Georgia's Arthur Lynch (played his HS ball in Dartmouth, MA)... very good size (6-5 265 or so), adequate speed with the ability to open things up down the seem and create after the catch a bit and projects as a solid inline kid as well.  Same with Iowa's CJ Fiedorowicz.  If you're looking at pur flex type TE's, TTU's Jace Amaro is a kid that has played well this season and brings a good combo of speed/size and athleticism.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Added a new person to the ignore list just now... high five!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

In response to Patsfansince1966's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Who was the TE drafted this year?  Ooops, none?

Heck, even Brenneman didn't know that Ben Watson was on IR in 2004.

[/QUOTE]

I believe the word I used was usually if you want to play  a 3rd grade nit picking girl.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

HoL,
    Agree that TE is a position that will likely be addressed in the offseason.  Austin S-J is one of the premier names at the TE position in this class, though they'll need to check him out off the field due to his DUI and resutlting day in jail.

Another name to keep an eye on is Georgia's Arthur Lynch (played his HS ball in Dartmouth, MA)... very good size (6-5 265 or so), adequate speed with the ability to open things up down the seem and create after the catch a bit and projects as a solid inline kid as well.  Same with Iowa's CJ Fiedorowicz.  If you're looking at pur flex type TE's, TTU's Jace Amaro is a kid that has played well this season and brings a good combo of speed/size and athleticism.

[/QUOTE]

Nice info...

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Who was the TE drafted this year?  Ooops, none?

Heck, even Brenneman didn't know that Ben Watson was on IR in 2004.

[/QUOTE]

I believe the word I used was usually if you want to play  a 3rd grade nit picking girl.....

[/QUOTE]

So does two years in a row of not drafting a TE apply as "usual"?

[/QUOTE]

I suppose undrafted rookie free agents don'tt count as part of the draft process u moron...........Sudfeld, Ford 2013 - Herman 2012 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

[QUOTE]

How about we draft Brandon Lloyd this year?  I hear he's a good deep threat.

[/QUOTE]

patsfansince1966.............TrollingMoronSinceAlGoreInventedtheInternet

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Helmet of Leather....ex coach of the 2009 Aints.

NOT.

[/QUOTE]

Wow u are an idiot......Sorry for letting this tool momentarily hijack ur thread mb......Ignore

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Helmet of Leather....ex coach of the 2009 Aints.

NOT.

[/QUOTE]

Wow u are an idiot......Sorry for letting this tool momentarily hijack ur thread mb......Ignore

[/QUOTE]

No probs, man... ignoring is always the best option, ha.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

ND DE Stephon Tuitt will return for his senior year... great news dor me, as an ND fan!

[/QUOTE]

Well that's one big boy who's off the board. There's not many of them coming out for the 2014 draft.

The other day, I got to see UCLA vs CAL. I am really intrigued with DeAndre Coleman.

ESPN lissts him at 315. He looks bigger than he's listed. But he is athletically built. He does not look fat.

I find it hard to assess him. They do not have a lot of play makers on that D. The opposing run game seems to just avoid him. When within his reach, he does make plays. With what I've seen, I like him. Hard to explain.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the name, I'll give him a look... also still looking for some tape on the UW kid that you mentioned, Danny Felton.

[/QUOTE]

You won't find a video of Felton. The Washington player is Danny Shelton. I did not find any youtube on him, except this comical one, of him trying to return a kickoff and eventually losing the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EZUQrZlrpg

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

ND DE Stephon Tuitt will return for his senior year... great news dor me, as 

Well that's one big boy who's off the board. There's not many of them coming out for the 2014 draft.

The other day, I got to see UCLA vs CAL. I am really intrigued with DeAndre Coleman.

ESPN lissts him at 315. He looks bigger than he's listed. But he is athletically built. He does not look fat.

I find it hard to assess him. They do not have a lot of play makers on that D. The opposing run game seems to just avoid him. When within his reach, he does make plays. With what I've seen, I like him. Hard to explain.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the name, I'll give him a look... also still looking for some tape on the UW kid that you mentioned, Danny Felton.

[/QUOTE]

You won't find a video of Felton. The Washington player is Danny Shelton. I did not find any youtube on him, except this comical one, of him trying to return a kickoff and eventually losing the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EZUQrZlrpg

[/QUOTE]

Typo on my part, I meant Shelton... haha, thanks for the link.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

This is my way, way to early first mock draft but after the lose yesterday I seriously sat down and looked at the Pats short comings and wanted to make a first mock for the areas of need I see coming. So with that I am assuming the Pats make the playoffs but don't make it out of the 2nd round (as the team currently stands I don't think they are going deep) so I gave them pick #25 as such. Here's what I came up with:

1st round - Ed Reynolds SS Stanford

Given a look at their cap they would save some money by cutting Gregory, A. Wilson, and lose a bit on T. Wilson. They might keep A. Wilson to see what he can do in camp but Gregory might not be worth the expense and T. Wilson is a why BB why pick in the 2nd. I would go early on the SS end and grab Reynolds. Reynolds is a very smart SS with great instincts. I expect him to move up in the board possibly past the 25th pick but as it stands right now that's about where his value is. He would be a good fit next to McCourty moving forward and should help stabilize the back end of the scondary with Harmon as main backup

2nd round - Daniel McCullers DT/NT Tenn

With the Wilfork injury and Kelly being a question mark after last game it's beyond nesseciary to get a good sized DT/NT player. I love McCullers size and skill set. He's having an off year so far but I see 1st round potential and helpfully his off year continues to give us a chance to grab him in the 2nd. I see him much like I did Phil Taylor who later exploded during his last college year and flew up draft boards. To me McCullers is a guy I want to take over Wilforks role in the future

3rd round - CJ Fiedorowicz TE Iowa

CJ is an overall TE. A very solid blocker with some good catch ability that seems to be getting better with each year. He'll never be a Gronk or Hern but he most certainly is a Hooman upgrade and would be a very solid #2 TE overall

4th round - Travis Raciti DT San Jose State

This one might have some heads scratching but this kid has a ton of potential as an interior rusher. If we are going DT I want to double dip with one big body and one high potential pass rusher and Raciti fits that role. He's about 300lbs with 5.1 speed and great hand movement resulting in 8.5 sacks from the inside last year. He could be a nice guy to develop for a couple years

5th round - Brandon Thomas G/C Clemson

I was going to go with Lowery a G who is hampered by injures this year and is from Rutgers (seems like an instant BB pick right?) but Lowery and Schiano butted heads so I doubt that BB would want him. Instead Thomas is a solid already blocker who needs some work but the potential is their in a zone blocking scheme with the ability to flex from G to C

6th round - Chuckie Keeton QB Utah State

Here is where BB wishes he can redraft Brady but sadly that day is done however, Keeton coming from a smaller school reminds me a lot of Brady in the preyears. Makes very good decisions with the ball, has a good pocket presence, and is very accurate with the ball. I am in no way saying he's Brady but with Mallett maybe having a year left with the team this kid might be worth a good look.

7th round - Random CB from Rutgers

I'm not even going to bother attempting this one. There is no shot BB doesn't try to grab a CB and Rutgers seems like as good a place as any in the 7th

But Eng you may ask, where are the WR's or an earlier CB? Well my friends how I think about it, this year seems like a 06' year for the WRs so I expect them to go out and sign a FA or two to fill that role. I also envision them attempting to resign Talib but maybe going the FA route with a CB again after it appears they can't draft a CB to save their lives, unless he happens to punch a cop. LB and most of the OL I can't see them going early or even late for the LB nor can I see them going RB unless to get a kick returner/punt returner/gunner. Really I'm locking in on DT, SS, and Te as the biggest areas of need with depth needed to develop at QB, OG/C, and CB. The DE's seem fine as do the T's.

So that's my way to early draft this year lets see how I do after the combine as I expect a couple of these names to shoot up the boards and will have to be removed (because BB won't trade up) and be replaced later.
    I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

[/QUOTE]

Have you changed your mind over the past 6 games or is your above list the same?

DT sure looks like a need with vw out and Kelly hurt and long in the tooth. We have still yet to hear from armstead, but comparatively speaking based on his cfl play, he could be similar to Travis Raciti in his ability to generate pressure from inside. 

Is it me, or do you guys like the way vellano and jones are playing. I know we lost size, but it seems we added an element of quickness which I like more considering we have run sub defenses almost 70% of the time this year. My vote is for another 4-3 DT with quickness who can penetrate from inside. 

i don't think Talib is in the cards for next year based on his play this year. We may not be able to afford him. I hope they can get creative with contracts and find some money because the back of our defense is totally different with hI'm.

i agree that we should look for another TE. I was saying so last year when ertz and eifert were drafted. For me, I want a more athletic type or move TE. I think Gronk and hooman are great blockers, and I would like to find a guy that we can use like we did AH. 

Looking at the line, I think we need to beef up the interior. I don't like cannon at guard, and I think we could really upgrade Connolly. 

positions I would like to see drafted...DT, te, cb, OG. No particular order. 

PI will add to the watch list for the above positions.

Sections
Shortcuts