***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

There is also Tuitt, who I have seen mocked as low as mid-second. I would take this kid in the first, with no hesitation.

He's labeled as a DE. He is bigger and quicker than most kids labeled DT.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Am also checking out...

Maddy of VT

Hopkins, also of VT

Cooper of Wazzu

Shelton of Washington

Way of Buffalo

Allen of Wisconsin (NT currently rated at 7-FA. I believe warrants a fifth rnd grade. Excellent for D in the RZ)

Quarles of S Carolina (overlooked; missing fomr that top 10 list)

Ferguson of LSU

Coleman of Cal

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Am also checking out...

Maddy of VT

Hopkins, also of VT

Cooper of Wazzu

Shelton of Washington

Way of Buffalo

Allen of Wisconsin (NT currently rated at 7-FA. I believe warrants a fifth rnd grade. Excellent for D in the RZ)

Ferguson of LSU

Coleman of Cal

[/QUOTE]

Agreed on Allen and Quarles.  Also like what I've seen from Ferguson.  Look forward to checking out Shelton.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Great Stuff Seattle!  What is your opinion( you too MB or anyone else) on what type of D lineman NE will go after?  A Wilfork clone in size, another Kelly type or a quick <300lb DE?  This is where I not sure.  It may be best player available.  What are they looking for?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great Stuff Seattle!  What is your opinion( you too MB or anyone else) on what type of D lineman NE will go after?  A Wilfork clone in size, another Kelly type or a quick <300lb DE?  This is where I not sure.  It may be best player available.  What are they looking for?

[/QUOTE]

I think BB will always target size/length at the DT position, with the baseline generally at or above 300 pounds... players with 2-gap potential and some scheme versatility.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

These are the 300+ lbers I am checking.  I think Nix and at least one other DT will go higher than the Pats pick.  I wonder about Stephen out UCONN as a late round pick or maybe a 3rd round pick-up  Jones out of PSU.  Need to keep looking.

Louis NixNotre Dame                6'3"326DT34

Stephon TuittNotre Dame        6'5"303DE34

Anthony JohnsonLSU                6'3"305DT43

Ra'Shede HagemanMinnesota6'5"302DT43

Deandre ColemanCalifornia        6'5"309DE34

DaQuan JonesPenn State        6'3"333DT34

Daniel McCullersTennessee6'6"377DT34

Danny SheltonWashington        6'1"320DT34

Ryan Carrethers   Ark State     6'2"328DT34

Ego FergusonLSU                        6'3"308DT43

Calvin BarnettOklahoma State6'2"300DT43

Beau AllenWisconsin         6'3"335DT34

Zack KerrDelaware                        6'2"330DT34

Bruce GastonPurdue                6'2"305DT43

Shamar StephenConnecticut6'5"323DT43

Khyri ThorntonSouthern Miss        6'3"300DT43

Justin EllisLouisiana Tech        6'2"330DT34

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Found my first "pop" player of the year.  Was watching tape of Oklahoma St CB Justin Gilbert (#4) and noticed that #7 kept popping up, so I wanted to give him a closer look.

I was happy with what I saw.  #7 is their senior S Shamiel Gary (6-0 210) and transfer from Wyoming that has started for them the past (2) seasons.  I've watched a lot of safety tape in the past couple months and I think this kid might be one of the best that I've seen in this class... which says a lot considering he's currently projected as a Rd 7/URFA type.  He has very good read/react, consistently diagnosing and closing quickly on passes and has the awareness and ball skills to make plays on the football (9 PD this season).  He's prob a 4.55-4.6 kid but shows good fluidity in coverage, but his instincts allow him to get to the ball quickly and he's often in the back pocket of his man. 

He's a kid that could cause Patriots Nation to melt down if selected on Day 2 of the draft (similar to Wilson and Harmon), but I think the pick would be warranted.  Really like this kids game.

[/QUOTE]

Just saw KANSAS @ OK ST

I did not see #7. I am not sure he played. There was another DB #1 that I saw more of.

#4 was hard to miss. He returned the opening KO for a TD. The throughout the rest of the game he played consistently good FB - covering and defending runs. I think he made one mistake. It was a blown cover due to miscommunication. No biggie. I like the kid.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

These are the 300+ lbers I am checking.  I think Nix and at least one other DT will go higher than the Pats pick.  I wonder about Stephen out UCONN as a late round pick or maybe a 3rd round pick-up  Jones out of PSU.  Need to keep looking.

Louis NixNotre Dame                6'3"326DT34

Stephon TuittNotre Dame        6'5"303DE34

Anthony JohnsonLSU                6'3"305DT43

Ra'Shede HagemanMinnesota6'5"302DT43

Deandre ColemanCalifornia        6'5"309DE34

DaQuan JonesPenn State        6'3"333DT34

Daniel McCullersTennessee6'6"377DT34

Danny SheltonWashington        6'1"320DT34

Ryan Carrethers   Ark State     6'2"328DT34

Ego FergusonLSU                        6'3"308DT43

Calvin BarnettOklahoma State6'2"300DT43

Beau AllenWisconsin         6'3"335DT34

Zack KerrDelaware                        6'2"330DT34

Bruce GastonPurdue                6'2"305DT43

Shamar StephenConnecticut6'5"323DT43

Khyri ThorntonSouthern Miss        6'3"300DT43

Justin EllisLouisiana Tech        6'2"330DT34

[/QUOTE]

I'm keeping an eye on Timmy Jernigan as well as he's listed at 298 I believe... prob the top DT on my board at this point, in regards to a player that could realistically available at the end of Rd 1 (I don't believe Nix or Tuitt would be there).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Am also checking out...

Maddy of VT

Hopkins, also of VT

Cooper of Wazzu

Shelton of Washington

Way of Buffalo

Ferguson of LSU

Coleman of Cal

[/QUOTE]

Agreed on Allen and Quarles.  Also like what I've seen from Ferguson.  Look forward to checking out Shelton.

[/QUOTE]

Just to be clear. I am not thinking of Shelton as the first Dt that the Pats pick. If the Pats choose to double dip, Shelton could be a good second dip, likely available on the thrid day. IMO, it would be good if the Pats can pick up in early rounds someone who can put interior pressure, then take a second dip on one who could anchor a short yardage situation or in the RZ.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Am also checking out...

Maddy of VT

Hopkins, also of VT

Cooper of Wazzu

Shelton of Washington

Way of Buffalo

Ferguson of LSU

Coleman of Cal

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just to be clear. I am not thinking of Shelton as the first Dt that the Pats pick. If the Pats choose to double dip, Shelton could be a good second dip, likely available on the thrid day. IMO, it would be good if the Pats can pick up in early rounds someone who can put interior pressure, then take a second dip on one who could anchor a short yardage situation or in the RZ.

[/QUOTE]

Another 2nd DT if NE selects 2 might be Stephen from UCONN.

08/11/13 - TOP CONNECTICUT PROSPECTS FOR THE 2014 NFL DRAFT: 2. DT Shamar Stephen (6-5, 323) -- Stephen is the most experienced of the Huskies' D-linemen, having played in 34 games since his freshman year ('10), and he figures to anchor that unit again in '13. He possesses an impressive combination of size and athleticism, and exhibits awareness against the run. While Stephen's size leads some to automatically classify him as a run plugger, he has flashed above-average get-off and strong closing burst that could enable him to provide some disruption as a pass-rusher as well.

Where he needs to improve the most is in utilizing his hands to create space off the snap. While he'll often beat his opponent off the ball, he had a tendency to lead with his shoulder, allowing blockers into his frame too easily and is rendered ineffective too often as a result. He also doesn't appear to possess a lot of natural upper body strength, as he struggles to sustain arm extension when he does establish hand-placement early. If Stephen can tap into some of his apparent upside, and work to get stronger and more active up top, he could end up on the radar of several NFL teams this year. - Derek Stephens, NFLDraftScout.com

I think he has improved.  I watched some film on hm.  He is very strong at the POA and holds his ground.  Seems he is always doubled.  Decent lateral movement for a guy that to me looks at least 330lbs.  He played NT, 5T and DT on an even front 4 and 2.  Shows some scheme versatility.  What he still has problems with disengaging and using his hands. He needs to be more volent withis hands. A lower complement DT; could be the second DT selection if NE selects 2.  7-FA

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Am also checking out...

Maddy of VT

Hopkins, also of VT

Cooper of Wazzu

Shelton of Washington

Way of Buffalo

Ferguson of LSU

Coleman of Cal

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Another 2nd DT if NE selects 2 might be Stephen from UCONN.

08/11/13 - TOP CONNECTICUT PROSPECTS FOR THE 2014 NFL DRAFT: 2. DT Shamar Stephen (6-5, 323) -- Stephen is the most experienced of the Huskies' D-linemen, having played in 34 games since his freshman year ('10), and he figures to anchor that unit again in '13. He possesses an impressive combination of size and athleticism, and exhibits awareness against the run. While Stephen's size leads some to automatically classify him as a run plugger, he has flashed above-average get-off and strong closing burst that could enable him to provide some disruption as a pass-rusher as well.

Where he needs to improve the most is in utilizing his hands to create space off the snap. While he'll often beat his opponent off the ball, he had a tendency to lead with his shoulder, allowing blockers into his frame too easily and is rendered ineffective too often as a result. He also doesn't appear to possess a lot of natural upper body strength, as he struggles to sustain arm extension when he does establish hand-placement early. If Stephen can tap into some of his apparent upside, and work to get stronger and more active up top, he could end up on the radar of several NFL teams this year. - Derek Stephens, NFLDraftScout.com

I think he has improved.  I watched some film on hm.  He is very strong at the POA and holds his ground.  Seems he is always doubled.  Decent lateral movement for a guy that to me looks at least 330lbs.  He played NT, 5T and DT on an even front 4 and 2.  Shows some scheme versatility.  What he still has problems with disengaging and using his hands. He needs to be more volent withis hands. A lower complement DT; could be the second DT selection if NE selects 2.  7-FA

[/QUOTE]

Good find, JJ.

I like this kid's tape a lot better than DeAndre Coleman's.  I think he has better lateral movement and athleticism.  He certainly needs work on his hand usage, but he has definite 2-gap potential and is very strong at the POA... also shows the ability to collapse the pocket on occasion.  Solid Day 3 option, IMO.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

An on the topic of hand usage... check out FSU's Timmy Jernigan... he's the Mike Tyson of the DT class... firing violent bombs to seperate from his blocker.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

We all know that RB isn't a must have in this draft, but if BB is looking to add a big back in the middle rounds, the kid at the top of my list is BC RB Andre Williams (6-0 227).  Kid is true meaning of "workhorse", leading the nation in rushing yards (1,471) on the 2nd most carries (246), while averaging almost 6 YPC (5.98) and 12 TD's... and he's done it against some quality comp too 28-149 vs. Florida State and 33-166-2 vs. VT.

From a skill set perspective, he's a 230 pound hammer (elite bulk/frame) with good power, vision and balance that will grind you out and protect the football (1 fumble in 246 carries this season)... and while he's not a burner, he does have at least (3) runs of 50+ this season.  On the downside, he's unproven as a pass catcher and will need more work/experience in pass pro, so it'll be interested to see how he performs in those area's in post season events.

I see an very underrated kid with starter potential at the NFL level, with the size/power  that BB covets.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

We all know that RB isn't a must have in this draft, but if BB is looking to add a big back in the middle rounds, the kid at the top of my list is BC RB Andre Williams (6-0 227).  Kid is true meaning of "workhorse", leading the nation in rushing yards (1,471) on the 2nd most carries (246), while averaging almost 6 YPC (5.98) and 12 TD's... and he's done it against some quality comp too 28-149 vs. Florida State and 33-166-2 vs. VT.

From a skill set perspective, he's a 230 pound hammer (elite bulk/frame) with good power, vision and balance that will grind you out and protect the football (1 fumble in 246 carries this season)... and while he's not a burner, he does have at least (3) runs of 50+ this season.  On the downside, he's unproven as a pass catcher and will need more work/experience in pass pro, so it'll be interested to see how he performs in those area's in post season events.

I see an very underrated kid with starter potential at the NFL level, with the size/power  that BB covets.

[/QUOTE]

if we want a realy Big Back Carlos Hyde certainly brings that to the table. yes the question marks are there but maybe he cleaned it up? who knows? he'll fall in the draft from the off field issues and could be a steal at 6'0 245. reminds me alot of a Marshawn Lynch but BIGGER and alot more tough. could be a great short yardage RB

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

if we want a realy Big Back Carlos Hyde certainly brings that to the table. yes the question marks are there but maybe he cleaned it up? who knows? he'll fall in the draft from the off field issues and could be a steal at 6'0 245. reminds me alot of a Marshawn Lynch but BIGGER and alot more tough. could be a great short yardage RB

[/QUOTE]

Not sure they come any tougher than Marshawn... well, maybe AP, but I'm not sure there's another back in the NFL that runs harder than he does.  With that said, Hyde is def on my radar.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not sure they come any tougher than Marshawn... well, maybe AP, but I'm not sure there's another back in the NFL that runs harder than he does.  With that said, Hyde is def on my radar.

[/QUOTE]

very true. you knew what i meant just tryna compare toughness. the kid really does remind me alot of Marshawn tho, he is a tank between the tackles but can actually snap off the big runs with a little speed in the open field

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Has anyone mention TE Jace Amaro, Texas Tech, 6'5" 260,  man he reminds me of a bigger Hernandez.  Not the greatest in-line blocker,but great hands, good YAC for TE, and a good route running. Can catch in tight places and block down field.  I would say a 1st rd talent. Seferian-Jenkins will be gone before NE, this guy maybe there at the end of the first round, but as he gets more press I could see him going earlier.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Shawn Oakman, 6'9" 275, DE Baylor.  Has great quickness but raw.  He is RSoph, but could declare.  Interesting size, maybe a 5T seems more like a 43DE, but will need to gain size and strength.  Surprised with OU double teaming him. Iowa State did not and he had a big game.

Negative: only 1 year of NCAA ball and charges against him while at Penn State.  

08/28/13 - NEWCOMER TO WATCH: DE Shawn Oakman transferred from Penn State last year but was denied a request for immediate eligibility from the NCAA and sat out the 2012 season. Since he sat out 2011 as a redshirt, this will be his first playing time since his senior year of high school, but he is expected to play in the rotation at end and give the Bears a much-needed pass rush. - The Sports Xchange

Negative:

03/24/12 - Former Penn State defensive end Shawn Oakman has been charged with summary offenses of retail theft, harassment and disorderly conduct after campus police were called to a dormitory complex last month. A university police log on Friday listed the charges against Oakman, which stemmed from a police call Feb. 25. The team had announced three days later that Oakman was dismissed from the squad due to an unspecified rule violation. Court records showed citations were filed Thursday. An email message from The Associated Press to Oakman seeking comment was not immediately returned. A phone number for Oakman could not immediately by found. The 6-foot-9, 270-pound defensive end from Lansdowne sat out last season as a redshirt freshman. He was considered a promising prospect from the Nittany Lions’ 2011 recruiting class. - AP Sports

Seems to have been better behaved at Baylor.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Again, this list remains fluid, but below are the players on my Rd 1 radar at this point in the process:

• Stanford DE/OLB- Trent Murphy
    • Oklahoma St. CB- Justin Gilbert
    • FSU DT- Timmy Jernigan
    • Stanford OG/OT- David Yankey
    • Notre Dame OG/OT- Zack Martin
    • Ohio State LB/S- Ryan Shazier (BB finally gets his hybrid LB/S player?  He's not a fulltime backer in NE's scheme)

Other's being considered:

• South Caroina DT- Kelcy Quarles
    • LSU DT- Ego Ferguson
    • VT CB- Kyle Fuller
    • Tenn ILB- AJ Johnson
    • Minn DT- Ra'Shede Hageman

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

Again, this list remains fluid, but below are the players on my Rd 1 radar at this point in the process:

• FSU DT- Timmy Jernigan
    • Ohio State LB/S- Ryan Shazier (BB finally gets his hybrid LB/S player?  He's not a fulltime backer in NE's scheme)

• LSU DT- Ego Ferguson
    • VT CB- Kyle Fuller
    • Tenn ILB- AJ Johnson

[/QUOTE]

most intriguing guy there is Shazier. like you said could be a great hybrid NFL guy on 3rd down.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

• FSU DT- Timmy Jernigan

• LSU DT- Ego Ferguson
    • VT CB- Kyle Fuller
    • Tenn ILB- AJ Johnson

I actually think if they pick in the first round it should be a player that starts or plays large minutes.  I actually thinking OG or DT. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

• FSU DT- Timmy Jernigan

• LSU DT- Ego Ferguson
    • VT CB- Kyle Fuller
    • Tenn ILB- AJ Johnson

Good analysis on Gilbert by FBO

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2013/futures-oklahoma-state-cb-justin-gilbert

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

• FSU DT- Timmy Jernigan

• LSU DT- Ego Ferguson
    • VT CB- Kyle Fuller
    • Tenn ILB- AJ Johnson

[/QUOTE]

I actually think if they pick in the first round it should be a player that starts or plays large minutes.  I actually thinking OG or DT. 

[/QUOTE]

I too am leaning towards a big fatty for either side of the line, but man would it be hard to pass on Murphy or Gilbert or Shazier.

I too had read that article on Gilbert... very in depth.  Watched a bunch of his tape last weekend and I think he's gonna be a stud, 4 down player.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

mbeaulieu07: just wondering, have you ever worked in scouting or WAR room type job in football? love your knowledge on college prospects and this thread is amazing (ima draft junkee thats why)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

mbeaulieu07: just wondering, have you ever worked in scouting or WAR room type job in football? love your knowledge on college prospects and this thread is amazing (ima draft junkee thats why)

Thanks man, but no I'm just an average joe with a love for the draft and draft talk... love researching players.  I guess, once day I just got sick of reading the Kiper's of the world and wanted to form my own opinion of a player vs. just accepting what was told to me.

Love that this thread provides a forum for like minded people to discuss the draft... fortunate that there are so many knowledgable posters that contribute.  Welcome to the thread too!

Sections
Shortcuts