***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Good for him... always respect a kid for going with their heart.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Can't remember if it was PE or 7393, but of of y'all was high on this kid coming out of the U.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/04/olivier-vernon-wins-afc-defensive-player-of-the-week/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

CB Keith McGill

He has a 3rd round grade for me.  I like him as he can play S/CB, but he also plays ST.

6'3" 205, 4.45    He recovers well using his length, is strong at the LOS, mirrors WRs well and turns his head to look for the ball.  Didn't see much on run support. Solid overall with upside.

Keith McGill/DB/Utah: This was a game scouts circled and McGill did not disappoint.  The Utes leaned on McGill to slow down Colorado star receiver Paul Richardson and the fast rising defensive back responded.  Richardson had his second lowest output of the season, 4 receptions with 54 receiving yards.  For his part McGill recorded 6 tackles and broke up two passes.   The senior offers the versatility to line-up at corner or safety and is a tremendous athlete with a large upside.  A good week of Senior Bowl practices could push McGill into the second round.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

CB Keith McGill

He has a 3rd round grade for me.  I like him as he can play S/CB, but he also plays ST.

6'3" 205, 4.45    He recovers well using his length, is strong at the LOS, mirrors WRs well and turns his head to look for the ball.  Didn't see much on run support. Solid overall with upside.

Keith McGill/DB/Utah: This was a game scouts circled and McGill did not disappoint.  The Utes leaned on McGill to slow down Colorado star receiver Paul Richardson and the fast rising defensive back responded.  Richardson had his second lowest output of the season, 4 receptions with 54 receiving yards.  For his part McGill recorded 6 tackles and broke up two passes.   The senior offers the versatility to line-up at corner or safety and is a tremendous athlete with a large upside.  A good week of Senior Bowl practices could push McGill into the second round.

If he is as fast as you say he is, then he definitely warrants a look. At that size, I can envision someone who could play like Sherman. The clips shown from 4:00 of the youtube below suggests he is capable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VQWSfdCooM

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:

Big question, is Talib on Pats roster next year?  I keep looking at DTs, OL TEs but keep coming back to the CB position thinking how different the D would look without Talib who has played as one of the top 3 if not the top CB in the league.

On the roster or not, I believe the Pats should still draft for a starting CB. I thought Ras was supposed to learn from Talib. Obviously that thought is wrong. I am not sure if they drafted Ryan knowing they were going to let go of Ras. If not, then they need that other CB in the pipeline.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Would any of you want the Pats to pick McCarron if he were available to them when they are to pick in the third round?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Would any of you want the Pats to pick McCarron if he were available to them when they are to pick in the third round?

McCarron is absolutely on my list of Day 2 options and would love to land him in Rd 3.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

I'm a big Iowa Hawkeye fan and there are two guys that would look really good on the Pats - CJ Federowitz at Tight End and Brandon Scherff - left tackle. 

Scherff has been getting too much love - putting him in the first round, where we need to be drafting defensive tackle, but if he fell, he would be a fixture on either side. 

Federowitz is huge - 6'6 265 - size of Gronk, but not as athletic - but has soft hands. Not sure where he might be had - but I'm more impressed with him than Sefarian and the other top flight TE's this year - all of whom seem to be more "Hernandez-type". 

Curious what MBeaulieu thinks about these two - 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

CB Keith McGill

If he is as fast as you say he is, then he definitely warrants a look. At that size, I can envision someone who could play like Sherman. The clips shown from 4:00 of the youtube below suggests he is capable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VQWSfdCooM

Love the size/length and it does look like the deep speed/explosion is there when needed... also does a decent job of taking away space on balls outside the hash.  Not impressed with his ST effort in that tape, he seems to coast at times and I'd expect more physicality in run support from a CB his size, but the measurables are intriguing... look forward to seeing more tape of him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:

I'm a big Iowa Hawkeye fan and there are two guys that would look really good on the Pats - CJ Federowitz at Tight End and Brandon Scherff - left tackle. 

Scherff has been getting too much love - putting him in the first round, where we need to be drafting defensive tackle, but if he fell, he would be a fixture on either side. 

Federowitz is huge - 6'6 265 - size of Gronk, but not as athletic - but has soft hands. Not sure where he might be had - but I'm more impressed with him than Sefarian and the other top flight TE's this year - all of whom seem to be more "Hernandez-type". 

Curious what MBeaulieu thinks about these two - 

Fiedorowicz is a definite option on Day 2, looks like a kid that can play in-line or flexed out, love the size and pedigree.  Give Georgia's Arthur Lynch a look too... Massachusetts kid and really like his ability in-line.

Scherff does look like a kid that will be on the cusp of Rd 1... need to check out more tape of him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Baylor QB Bryce Petty is returning to school:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10082674/bryce-petty-baylor-bears-says-returning-senior-season

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

2015 QB draft starting to look better each day. On the flip side, puts more pressure on teams that need to get QBs in 2014. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

2015 QB draft starting to look better each day. On the flip side, puts more pressure on teams that need to get QBs in 2014. 

Definitely... I'll be curious to see what Hundley does.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I have the following teams being unable to resist temptation of picking one of Bridgewater, Carr and Manziel, if available.

HOU - I don't think they will want to depend on Schaub returning strong

TBB - Too much pressure for the coaching staff to improve things; If I have to guess, Manziel

JAX - Again, the team knows none of the QBs on their roster is the long term answer. One of the three would be too good to resist.

MIN - Need I say more?

In addition, the following teams have issues at QB. Any of these teams could pounce on a top QB if one slips down to them. On the other hand, they may also be pressured to reach for their choice of one of the second tier QBs (McCarron, Hundley, Boyd), if teh top three are gone. 

OAK - They need an upgrade to Pryor

CLE - Another team with no long term solution at QB

NYJ - They need a QB, but picking one before the third round could get ugly

SDC - Soon enough they will realize theya re with Rivers, where Seattle was a few years ago with Hasselbeck

WAS - What if the RGIII they drafted does fully come back?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

I have the following teams being unable to resist temptation of picking one of Bridgewater, Carr and Manziel, if available.

TBB - Too much pressure for the coaching staff to improve things; If I have to guess, Manziel

JAX - Again, the team knows none of the QBs on their roster is the long term answer. One of the three would be too good to resist.

MIN - Need I say more?

In addition, the following teams have issues at QB. Any of these teams could pounce on a top QB if one slips down to them. On the other hand, they may also be pressured to reach for their choice of one of the second tier QBs (McCarron, Hundley, Boyd), if teh top three are gone. 

SDC - Soon enough they will realize theya re with Rivers, where Seattle was a few years ago with Hasselbeck

Hey Pat, the Rams have the Redskins top pick this year - continued payment for moving up to get RG3 (still worth it); these QBs, imo, will be gone befor they pick in the second round.  Their needs are OLine first and foremost, then a WR.  Texans will pick Jonny Football - he will be great for them!  I'd like to see Teddy Bridgewater to the Brownies!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Irish Chocolate to the NFL... I'm gonna miss him.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/06/notre-dames-louis-nix-iii-also-heading-to-the-nfl/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to SilverSun's comment:

MIN - Need I say more?

Hey Pat, the Rams have the Redskins top pick this year - continued payment for moving up to get RG3 (still worth it); these QBs, imo, will be gone befor they pick in the second round.  Their needs are OLine first and foremost, then a WR.  Texans will pick Jonny Football - he will be great for them!  I'd like to see Teddy Bridgewater to the Brownies!

I still think that Teddy Ballgame is the first QB off the board, and likely #1 overall.  I'm not denying Manziel's physical abilty, because it's immense, but he's just too much of a wild card off the field for me if I have comparable options (i.e. Bridgewater).

I too like the Browns and would love to see them land a franchise QB and think they'll probably end up with whoever's left out of Hundley, Manziel and Carr.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to SilverSun's comment:

Yep. Even if they did have their first have a first round pick, it would have been follish of them to pick a QB.

They do need a backup plan for RGIII, in case his legs are never the same again, or if he does not learn to be more of a pocket passer, as some experts think he should evolve to. Truth is, his legs were a big part of what made him special in college. In the spirit of continuity, they'd be better off trying to get a backup who can do some of the things he can.

How many QBs do you think will be taken in the first round?

Until some of these announce they are coming back to school, the list of eligible QBs with very good NFL potential is still long.

Bridgewater, Manziel, Carr, McCarron (really really underrated, IMO), Hundley, Boyd, Mettenberger

FYI: Beyond that, some QBs have flashed good promise too (probably end up being good backups, with potential to emerge as starters)...

Murray, Keeton, Mannion, Fales

Price (WA), Miller, Gardner, Kay, Bortles, Halliday, Wenning

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

How many QBs do you think will be taken in the first round?

Until some of these announce they are coming back to school, the list of eligible QBs with very good NFL potential is still long.

Bridgewater, Manziel, Carr, McCarron (really really underrated, IMO), Hundley, Boyd, Mettenberger

FYI: Beyond that, some QBs have flashed good promise too (probably end up being good backups, with potential to emerge as starters)...

Murray, Keeton, Mannion, Fales

Price (WA), Miller, Gardner, Kay, Bortles, Halliday, Wenning

love Price great gamer and leader. kid just seems to be a winner to me

• You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

How about this Tre Mason kid. he's a junior coming off a 1K soph year and a huge year this year. i see him leaving for the draft. kid is a little tank, could be a solid NFL runner.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Another Sleeper Alert:

Elhadji Ndiaye
    Defensive End/Outside Linebacker
    University of Nebraska-Kearney
    6’5, 255 pounds
    2013 statistics: 46 tackles (26 solo) , 9.5 tackles for loss, 7 sacks, 2 forced fumbles
    40 yard dash: 4.48

One of the best kept secrets in the 2014 NFL Draft is a severely little-known hybrid 6’5, 255 pound combo defensive end/outside linebacker prospect named Elhadji Ndiaye. Ndiaye is a native of Senegal, who played soccer growing up. Football? It was an afterthought. That is, until his cousin, former NFL defensive lineman Ogemdi Nwagbuo, saw the potential in Elhadji, and took the youngster under his wing. Ogemdi, a solid vested NFL veteran of the Giants, Chargers, Panthers & Lions, convinced Ndiaye that he had a world of potential in the sport of football, and pushed him to give it a try.......

http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/elhadji-ndiaye-the-2014-nfl-drafts-super-sleeper/

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

SeniorBowl accepted invitees

http://www.seniorbowl.com/accepted-invites.php

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BILLB50. Show BILLB50's posts

Justin Gilbert continued to impress me today. I would not be disappointed if we 

drafted him.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

What's up?  What positions do we see as biggest needs?

2nd TE?

DT?

S?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

What's up?  What positions do we see as biggest needs?

2nd TE?

DT?

S?

DT or OG, mankins is deteriorating and I'd like to see wendell leave so we can move Connolly to center

• Sections
    Shortcuts