***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

On NE's radar????

• December 14
    • (4:30 PM): Rutgers WR enters the draft ... Despite a disappointing 2013 season, Rutgers junior WR Brandon Coleman has announced that he will forgo his final year of eligibility and enter the upcoming draft. The 6-5, 225-pound Coleman had just 32 catches this fall after undergoing pre-season knee surgery; still because of his size alone Coleman is likely to start to get some looks from pro teams as early as the mid-second day range.

http://www.gbnreport.com/

If they can get him in the 3rd or trade up to the 4th I'd take him but with so many young WRs already on the team I wouldn't spend earlier.

This draft I pretty much want lineman and more lineman on both sides of the ball (and a TE that can block like a lineman)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

On NE's radar????

• December 14
    • (4:30 PM): Rutgers WR enters the draft ... Despite a disappointing 2013 season, Rutgers junior WR Brandon Coleman has announced that he will forgo his final year of eligibility and enter the upcoming draft. The 6-5, 225-pound Coleman had just 32 catches this fall after undergoing pre-season knee surgery; still because of his size alone Coleman is likely to start to get some looks from pro teams as early as the mid-second day range.

If they can get him in the 3rd or trade up to the 4th I'd take him but with so many young WRs already on the team I wouldn't spend earlier.

This draft I pretty much want lineman and more lineman on both sides of the ball (and a TE that can block like a lineman)

I too want them to load up on fatty's on both sides of the ball.  Check out Georgia's TE Arthur Lynch if you haven't already... very good size and ability blocker that can catch the football.  Local kid too, having played his HS ball in Dartmouth, MA.  I think he's a definite option late on Day 2 or early on Day 3.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

On NE's radar????

• December 14

I too want them to load up on fatty's on both sides of the ball.  Check out Georgia's TE Arthur Lynch if you haven't already... very good size and ability blocker that can catch the football.  Local kid too, having played his HS ball in Dartmouth, MA.  I think he's a definite option late on Day 2 or early on Day 3.

Yeah I say him ealier in the year. Bit of stiff hips but good overall blocker. I just don't see him as much of a pass catcher and he's a bit slow. He looks like a Hooman type of TE. Though I like the blocking ability good blocking TE's are a dime a dozen in the mid to late rounds so if I'm going late day 2 I'd like to find someone with a little more pass catching ability you can work with to be a better blocker. I always feel you can train someones blocking ability up but pass catching and route running has a more natural athletic ability associated with it and can't really be trained up.

Xavier Grimble from USC for instance to me shows more athletic and receiving ability. He's someone I'd consider in the same range, but my gut says he'll go back to school after missing a number of games due to injury to increase his stock. Or someone like Jacob Pederson from Wisconsin who for his size has good blocking ability but is a natural pass catcher with HB potential. Not Hernandez but someone in the same mold. If he can add 5-10lbs and keep his quickness he'd be a great 2nd blocking TE who could flex out. However, because of Gronk I'm looking for a #1 type TE in this draft which is why I'm looking towards a Fiedorowicz or Seferian-Jenkins who are both natural receivers with good blocking ability.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Testing to see if this works. My interface looks funky today.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

BOWL GUIDE

GILDAN NEW MEXICO BOWL, DEC 21

A list of some of the draft elligibles to watch.

WASHINGTON STATE

COLORADO STATE

DT

#96 Cooper (r7-FA)

CB

C

#70 Richburg (r3-4)

TE

#10 Gilmore (r7-FA)

OG

LB

OT

QB

#12 Halliday (FA)

S

#20 Buchannon (r2)

WR

DE

RB

WSU S Buchannon (Sr, 6-1, 215): There are draft sites that rank him as the top SS prospect in the 2014 draft.

WSU DT Cooper (rSo, 6-4, 303): I have not seen the guy play, but his TFL output drew my interest. He made 10.5 TFLs. Among DTs, only Quarles (13.5) and PSU’s Jones (11.5) generated more. Cooper is tied with Jernigan and Sutton. I will be watching him to see if he could be a penetrator-type DT to complement a VW-type DT.

WSU QB Halliday (rJr, 6-4, 190): In 2013, ranked 4th in passing yards, behind Carr, Mannion and Fales. Completion rate was 63%. He probably could use another year in college. He needs to fill up a bit. He’s way too lanky for the NFL (Description of TB’s physique during the combine would fit Halliday well. Actually, no. TB had a better build then.)

CSU C Richburg (Sr, 6-4, 302): There are draft sites that rank him as the second best C in the 2014 draft.

CSU TE Crockett Gilmore (Sr, 6-6, 255): On a couple of youtube videos, he shows potential as both blocker and pass catcher. He is still developing as a TE, given he converted from DE back in 2011. That alone says to me, he will not be afraid of contact. In 2013, he passed CSU’s other TE as the main receiving TE option. Big question mark is drops. He could be a good second dip if the Pats decide to double dip at TE.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Testing to see if your mother wears army boots. She looks funky today.

What did you say about my mother  O.o

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Testing to see if this works. My interface looks funky today.

I read ya, over... pssssht.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Sorry about that. I thought tables could be pasted onto the discussion board.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Testing to see if your mother wears army boots. She looks funky today.

What did you say about my mother  O.o

WTH... that is not what I typed

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

BOWL GUIDE

GILDAN NEW MEXICO BOWL, DEC 21

A list of some of the draft elligibles to watch.

WASHINGTON STATE

COLORADO STATE

DT

#96 Cooper (r7-FA)

CB

C

#70 Richburg (r3-4)

TE

#10 Gilmore (r7-FA)

OG

LB

OT

QB

#12 Halliday (FA)

S

#20 Buchannon (r2)

WR

DE

RB

WSU S Buchannon (Sr, 6-1, 215): There are draft sites that rank him as the top SS prospect in the 2014 draft.

WSU DT Cooper (rSo, 6-4, 303): I have not seen the guy play, but his TFL output drew my interest. He made 10.5 TFLs. Among DTs, only Quarles (13.5) and PSU’s Jones (11.5) generated more. Cooper is tied with Jernigan and Sutton. I will be watching him to see if he could be a penetrator-type DT to complement a VW-type DT.

WSU QB Halliday (rJr, 6-4, 190): In 2013, ranked 4th in passing yards, behind Carr, Mannion and Fales. Completion rate was 63%. He probably could use another year in college. He needs to fill up a bit. He’s way too lanky for the NFL (Description of TB’s physique during the combine would fit Halliday well. Actually, no. TB had a better build then.)

CSU C Richburg (Sr, 6-4, 302): There are draft sites that rank him as the second best C in the 2014 draft.

CSU TE Crockett Gilmore (Sr, 6-6, 255): On a couple of youtube videos, he shows potential as both blocker and pass catcher. He is still developing as a TE, given he converted from DE back in 2011. That alone says to me, he will not be afraid of contact. In 2013, he passed CSU’s other TE as the main receiving TE option. Big question mark is drops. He could be a good second dip if the Pats decide to double dip at TE.

Really like what I've seen from Bucannon... good sized kid, physical, tackles well, rangy... looks like a solid Rd 2 S to me.

Also like Richburg... good size, quick feet, moves well and plays with some nasty.  Like him at some point on Day 2.

Def interested to see Cooper and Gilmore.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

On NE's radar????

• December 14

Yeah I say him ealier in the year. Bit of stiff hips but good overall blocker. I just don't see him as much of a pass catcher and he's a bit slow. He looks like a Hooman type of TE. Though I like the blocking ability good blocking TE's are a dime a dozen in the mid to late rounds so if I'm going late day 2 I'd like to find someone with a little more pass catching ability you can work with to be a better blocker. I always feel you can train someones blocking ability up but pass catching and route running has a more natural athletic ability associated with it and can't really be trained up.

Xavier Grimble from USC for instance to me shows more athletic and receiving ability. He's someone I'd consider in the same range, but my gut says he'll go back to school after missing a number of games due to injury to increase his stock. Or someone like Jacob Pederson from Wisconsin who for his size has good blocking ability but is a natural pass catcher with HB potential. Not Hernandez but someone in the same mold. If he can add 5-10lbs and keep his quickness he'd be a great 2nd blocking TE who could flex out. However, because of Gronk I'm looking for a #1 type TE in this draft which is why I'm looking towards a Fiedorowicz or Seferian-Jenkins who are both natural receivers with good blocking ability.

ASJ is a skilled blocker and while I'd like to see more fire out of him, he gets the job done.  I also think he coud stand to lose 10 pounds... as I think he was up around 275.  We're in agreement on Fiedorowicz... solid Day 2 option.

I think Pederson will get drafted by Houston... they seem to gobble up all of the Badger TE's, haha.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Really like what I've seen from Bucannon... good sized kid, physical, tackles well, rangy... looks like a solid Rd 2 S to me.

Also like Richburg... good size, quick feet, moves well and plays with some nasty.  Like him at some point on Day 2.

The table was supposed to show where some draft sites project them to go. Both Cooper and Gilmore are projected to be round7-FA guys.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The table was supposed to show where some draft sites project them to go. Both Cooper and Gilmore are projected to be round7-FA guys.

Seems consistent with Gilmore from what I've seen.  Haven't heard/seen anything on Cooper, but the size and production is intriguing.

Was curious if you were able to check out Utah DT Tenny Palepoi (6-2 300) during your dvr/tape reviews?  Really like what I've read in regards to his movement ability, explosion off the snap and tenacity in pursuit.  Can't fine much if any tape on him out there.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I'll check if I have Utah on the DVR (I doubt). I have not seen Pelopi.I'm sure some youtubes will emerge if he declares for the draft.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

BOWL GUIDE

LAS VEGAS BOWL, DEC 21

FRESNO STATE vs SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

Draftniks will primarily be watching four kids on Fresno St side – Carr and the three receivers he throws to.

Fresno St QB Carr (#4, Sr, 6-3, 215, round 1): One can argue that Carr is statistically the best QB in CFB. He finished first in yards – a result of being second in passing attempts and a ridiculous 70% completion rate. He also finished with 48 TDs (1st), while giving up only 7 INTs and 11 sacks. He is arguably the best pocket-passing QB of the class. For team’s who do not believe in the QB who runs a lot, he would be the best choice. The only question mark on him has to do with being the brother of a QB that did not do so well in the NFL.

Fresno St WR Adams (#15, rSo, 6-2, 212, round 1-2): Carr’s favorite target caught 122 of Carr’s 600+ passes. Most notable stat is the 23 TDs he caught. Next closes number of TD catches is 15, by Oregon States’ Cooks.

Fresno St WR Burse (#1, Sr, 5-11, 180, FA): Caught 94 passes for 987 yards

Fresno St WR Harper (#3, rJr, 6-1, 182, FA): Caught 79 passes for 1011 yards and 13 TDs

Fresno St TE Jensen (#89, Sr, 6-6, 270, round 3-4)

Fresno St OT Wichmann (#73, Jr, 6-6, 311, FA)

On the USC side, Lee is the attraction.

USC WR Lee (#9, Jr, 6-0, 195, round 1): 50 recs for 673 yds. Half as productive this year as last. Always considered as a good route runner and very sure hands. YAC-capable.

USC TE Grimble (#86, Jr, 6-5, 250, FA): 23 recs for 248 yds and 2 TDs. 8 recs were in the last two games, for 74 yds. A TE who can catch. Not prolific but perhaps an upgrade to any of the Pats TEs not named Gronkowski.

USC RB Redd (#25, Sr, 6-0, 200, round 6): 81 carries for 376 yds; 10 recs for 45 yds. Potentially out of the game due to a knee injury.

USC OG Martin (#66, Jr, 6-3, 310, FA)

USC OT Walker (#70, Jr, 6-6, 300, FA)

And with pick 26 in the 2014 NFL Draft... the NE Patriots select (according to McShay's Mock 1.0)...

My favorite player in this class...

26 Darqueze Dennard New England Patriots (10-4)   COLLEGE: Michigan State AGE: 22 HT: 5-11 WT: 189 POSITION: CB

Analysis: Minnesota DT Ra'Shede Hageman would be a good fit for the Patriots because of his versatility. But they also have a need at cornerback, and Dennard is one of a few CBs vying for a spot in the first round. Dennard is a tough, experienced playmaker with above-average size and great instincts when the ball is in the air. He plays smart, and really had a great season in 2013.

PLAYER CARD

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

And with pick 26 in the 2014 NFL Draft... the NE Patriots select (according to McShay's Mock 1.0)...

26 Darqueze Dennard New England Patriots (10-4)   COLLEGE: Michigan State AGE: 22 HT: 5-11 WT: 189 POSITION: CB

Analysis: Minnesota DT Ra'Shede Hageman would be a good fit for the Patriots because of his versatility. But they also have a need at cornerback, and Dennard is one of a few CBs vying for a spot in the first round. Dennard is a tough, experienced playmaker with above-average size and great instincts when the ball is in the air. He plays smart, and really had a great season in 2013.

PLAYER CARD

I would take him also if he is there, if not a TE or DT. It would also depend what other CBs are still available.  Still think and impact started TE can be found at the end of round 1.   

The latest trend I am seeing on mock sites is NIX going in late round one.  If he proves he is healthy he will go top 15, but you never know.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

PLAYER CARD

Think I'd prefer Hageman. Lets face it NE hasn't had much luck in the early rounds for CB's. I'm also not so keen on the idea of putting yet another rook into the starting lineup with Ryan being a sophmore and all the money they invested in Arrington. What a waste that would be. Now if you are talking a late 3rd or 4th round CB that can develop in the slot then I'm all for it but please dear lord don't let this be the what 7th year in a row selecting a DB in the early rounds.

PLAYER CARD

Think I'd prefer Hageman. Lets face it NE hasn't had much luck in the early rounds for CB's. I'm also not so keen on the idea of putting yet another rook into the starting lineup with Ryan being a sophmore and all the money they invested in Arrington. What a waste that would be. Now if you are talking a late 3rd or 4th round CB that can develop in the slot then I'm all for it but please dear lord don't let this be the what 7th year in a row selecting a DB in the early rounds.

Hey Eng,

To me, it all depends on the QBs selection in the top of the round before NE selects. Someone will drop. The other position is OTs.   They are always in demand.  I am not sure a legit 1st RD DT will be there or a TE at the end of Rd 1. However, if a TE is there from one of the three (Ebron, Amaro, ASJ), I am all in for 1 of them.  I think Talib will be resigned with NE. A CB can be selected later. I still think we need a LB.  Spikes will walk. DTs seem to be congregated in the 2nd-5th rounds.  We could double dip there.  Still an incomplete picture till everyone declares and Free Agency.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I think trying to predict the Patriots draft is an exercise in futility.  No matter what the experts think or people on the boards, we never seem to get the Patriots picks right.

I think one thing is for sure, we are starting to see our linemen on both sides of the ball get old and we could certainly use an upgrade there... but that's about as far as I can go. 

Sox, I am never right about who NE will pick.  It is about the process to get to know who is in the draft.  Here on this thread we accept all opinions.  We have posters that can point out different players extremely well.  We have good discussions.  In the end, we may never get it right, but have fun trying.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

I think trying to predict the Patriots draft is an exercise in futility.  No matter what the experts think or people on the boards, we never seem to get the Patriots picks right.

I think one thing is for sure, we are starting to see our linemen on both sides of the ball get old and we could certainly use an upgrade there... but that's about as far as I can go. 

You'd be surprised, between us every year we get a couple players they draft. MB got Ryan and I got Collins last year (though in the wrong round). But, beyond that it's not the point to be right. I don't want to speak for others but I just get enjoyment discussing draft picks, following them, and guessing what will happen. Whether right or wrong doesn't matter it's more like icing.

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

You'd be surprised, between us every year we get a couple players they draft. MB got Ryan and I got Collins last year (though in the wrong round). But, beyond that it's not the point to be right. I don't want to speak for others but I just get enjoyment discussing draft picks, following them, and guessing what will happen. Whether right or wrong doesn't matter it's more like icing.

Amen to that, definite passion for posters on this thread!

Sox, I am never right about who NE will pick.  It is about the process to get to know who is in the draft.  Here on this thread we accept all opinions.  We have posters that can point out different players extremely well.  We have good discussions.  In the end, we may never get it right, but have fun trying.

Good post, JJ.

PLAYER CARD

I have Hageman on my radar for sure, I just haven't been excited about him based on his tape.  The size/length/upside is obvious, but he's extremely inconsistent... though he's also relatively new to the position.

At this point, I just think Dennard is a much better player with a complete skill set for the position. 

It's a fair ponit with the overall experience of the unit, though I'm not as concerned. A. Dennard would be in year (3), Aarington is the veteran and you know what you're getting in the slot, Ryan strikes me as a mature player, and has a good amount of game experience in his rookie season and D. Dennard had a ton of experience in Lansing, believe he was a (3) year starter that contributed as a frosh as well.

• Sections
    Shortcuts