***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have Hageman on my radar for sure, I just haven't been excited about him based on his tape.  The size/length/upside is obvious, but he's extremely inconsistent... though he's also relatively new to the position.

At this point, I just think Dennard is a much better player with a complete skill set for the position. 

It's a fair ponit with the overall experience of the unit, though I'm not as concerned. A. Dennard would be in year (3), Aarington is the veteran and you know what you're getting in the slot, Ryan strikes me as a mature player, and has a good amount of game experience in his rookie season and D. Dennard had a ton of experience in Lansing, believe he was a (3) year starter that contributed as a frosh as well.

[/QUOTE]

So the question becomes MB where do you picture each player playing? You would have to push either Ryan or A. Dennard out of a starting spot for D Dennard. No way you use a 1st for a money CB at that point. If you move Ryan inside and play the Dennards together then Arrington gets moved to the 4th CB spot on the bench (which is where I feel he should be). My preference would be either to get talib back or get a solid #2/3 vet CB and let Ryan and Dennard handle the outside duties with the new vet CB spelling them and rotating in the slot with Arrington. Then use that 1st for more pressing matters on either of the lines. Because, with a secondary that young if we don't have a good DL to get pressure the young DB's will fall apart.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

I have Hageman on my radar for sure, I just haven't been excited about him based on his tape.  The size/length/upside is obvious, but he's extremely inconsistent... though he's also relatively new to the position.

At this point, I just think Dennard is a much better player with a complete skill set for the position. 

It's a fair ponit with the overall experience of the unit, though I'm not as concerned. A. Dennard would be in year (3), Aarington is the veteran and you know what you're getting in the slot, Ryan strikes me as a mature player, and has a good amount of game experience in his rookie season and D. Dennard had a ton of experience in Lansing, believe he was a (3) year starter that contributed as a frosh as well.

So the question becomes MB where do you picture each player playing? You would have to push either Ryan or A. Dennard out of a starting spot for D Dennard. No way you use a 1st for a money CB at that point. If you move Ryan inside and play the Dennards together then Arrington gets moved to the 4th CB spot on the bench (which is where I feel he should be). My preference would be either to get talib back or get a solid #2/3 vet CB and let Ryan and Dennard handle the outside duties with the new vet CB spelling them and rotating in the slot with Arrington. Then use that 1st for more pressing matters on either of the lines. Because, with a secondary that young if we don't have a good DL to get pressure the young DB's will fall apart.

[/QUOTE]

Good question... Yout let Dennard, Dennard and Ryan duke out for the staring outside spots with the 3rd being relagated to the slot... Aarington also provides solid depth, but I'd prefer to see the other (3) on the field... leaves you with some solid/skilled depth overall at the position.  If Talib is brougth back as you mention, then I think they go in another direction... and I'm not saying that CB is their #1 need, but was looking more towards BPA at a potential position of needed... DL/OL/TE, etc. are very much in play... which means they'll prob take McCarron, haha.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

UW DT Danny Shelton is expected to return to school:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000293102/article/report-washingtons-danny-shelton-will-not-enter-2014-draft

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Mizzou DE/LB Kony Ealy (6-5 275) will remind NE fans of Chandler Jones... similar size, length, explosion and athleticism.

Give him a look.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BOWL GUIDE

GILDAN NEW MEXICO BOWL, DEC 21

WSU S Buchannon (Sr, 6-1, 215): There are draft sites that rank him as the top SS prospect in the 2014 draft.

WSU DT Cooper (rSo, 6-4, 303): I have not seen the guy play, but his TFL output drew my interest. He made 10.5 TFLs. Among DTs, only Quarles (13.5) and PSU’s Jones (11.5) generated more. Cooper is tied with Jernigan and Sutton. I will be watching him to see if he could be a penetrator-type DT to complement a VW-type DT.

WSU QB Halliday (rJr, 6-4, 190): In 2013, ranked 4th in passing yards, behind Carr, Mannion and Fales. Completion rate was 63%. He probably could use another year in college. He needs to fill up a bit. He’s way too lanky for the NFL (Description of TB’s physique during the combine would fit Halliday well. Actually, no. TB had a better build then.)

CSU C Richburg (Sr, 6-4, 302): There are draft sites that rank him as the second best C in the 2014 draft.

CSU TE Crockett Gilmore (Sr, 6-6, 255): On a couple of youtube videos, he shows potential as both blocker and pass catcher. He is still developing as a TE, given he converted from DE back in 2011. That alone says to me, he will not be afraid of contact. In 2013, he passed CSU’s other TE as the main receiving TE option. Big question mark is drops. He could be a good second dip if the Pats decide to double dip at TE.

[/QUOTE]

What a game this turned out to be. Kudos to CSU for achieving a Patriots like rally, scoring 18 pts in the last 3 mins, to win the game. Sorry about that, Wazzu.

No for some takeaways from the players' performance.

Halliday should go back to school. He showed on this game that he has a good arm -- strong and accurate; however, tends to hold on to the ball a little too long a little too often. He does not have the legs to escape, so holding on to the ball normally leads to a bad outcome. He needs to go through his reads faster.

Cooper is good but could benefit from staying in school another year. He definitely has active legs for a 300 lb DT. Most impressive is his will to pursue, on a couple of occasions, the RB. and almost succeeding. If not for him CSU's RB would have walked across the end zone to win the game. Cooper's pursuit made the RB have to stretch for the pylon. He's going to get stronger.

I am mixed on Buchannon. Early on his play confirmed that he is the best SS in the draft. I need to see the game again, but it seems that he disappeared a bit towards the end -- just when he was needed more.

Richburg could become a solid C. I did not like his chop block on WSU's Gauta. And he got pushed back a handful of times, overall, still, he played okay.

Gilmore, is a good value TE at FA or even the 7th round. He is on the bigger end of TEs who demosntrated good pass blocking skills. He also showed he can catch well. Route running can improve. During the middle half of the game, he seemed to have difficulty separating. He alsodid not show much on run blocking.

The big surprise was CSU LB Shaquil Barrett (Jr, 6-2, 250). He consistently performed well throughout the game. Towards the end, played like a man among boys, basically abusing the Halliday and company. In the last 1.5 minutes of the game, almost stripped the ball off Halliday, and actually stripped it from the WSU RB.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Anyone catch USC vs. Fresno St?   I wanted to see Carr play and thought it would be a good chance to improve his stock.  He didn't do well.  His footing and mechanics were off.  He didn't step up in the pocket.  At times, he was way off with his receivers.    One of these QBs that if pressure is near they panic a bit.  Positives: strong arm and some mobility.  Some say he will still go 1st Rd, not sure.

USC's CBs did a great job of positioning themselves.

M. Lee is the real deal for USC reminded me of Mike Wallace.

G. Oko was ejected for bumping a ref.

Nelson Agholor, WR is some one to watch for future drafts.

With a new coach coming in for USC we may see sone underclassmen declare, S Dion Bailey.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

BOWL GUIDE

GILDAN NEW MEXICO BOWL, DEC 21

WSU S Buchannon (Sr, 6-1, 215): There are draft sites that rank him as the top SS prospect in the 2014 draft.

WSU DT Cooper (rSo, 6-4, 303): I have not seen the guy play, but his TFL output drew my interest. He made 10.5 TFLs. Among DTs, only Quarles (13.5) and PSU’s Jones (11.5) generated more. Cooper is tied with Jernigan and Sutton. I will be watching him to see if he could be a penetrator-type DT to complement a VW-type DT.

WSU QB Halliday (rJr, 6-4, 190): In 2013, ranked 4th in passing yards, behind Carr, Mannion and Fales. Completion rate was 63%. He probably could use another year in college. He needs to fill up a bit. He’s way too lanky for the NFL (Description of TB’s physique during the combine would fit Halliday well. Actually, no. TB had a better build then.)

CSU C Richburg (Sr, 6-4, 302): There are draft sites that rank him as the second best C in the 2014 draft.

CSU TE Crockett Gilmore (Sr, 6-6, 255): On a couple of youtube videos, he shows potential as both blocker and pass catcher. He is still developing as a TE, given he converted from DE back in 2011. That alone says to me, he will not be afraid of contact. In 2013, he passed CSU’s other TE as the main receiving TE option. Big question mark is drops. He could be a good second dip if the Pats decide to double dip at TE.

What a game this turned out to be. Kudos to CSU for achieving a Patriots like rally, scoring 18 pts in the last 3 mins, to win the game. Sorry about that, Wazzu.

No for some takeaways from the players' performance.

Halliday should go back to school. He showed on this game that he has a good arm -- strong and accurate; however, tends to hold on to the ball a little too long a little too often. He does not have the legs to escape, so holding on to the ball normally leads to a bad outcome. He needs to go through his reads faster.

Cooper is good but could benefit from staying in school another year. He definitely has active legs for a 300 lb DT. Most impressive is his will to pursue, on a couple of occasions, the RB. and almost succeeding. If not for him CSU's RB would have walked across the end zone to win the game. Cooper's pursuit made the RB have to stretch for the pylon. He's going to get stronger.

I am mixed on Buchannon. Early on his play confirmed that he is the best SS in the draft. I need to see the game again, but it seems that he disappeared a bit towards the end -- just when he was needed more.

Richburg could become a solid C. I did not like his chop block on WSU's Gauta. And he got pushed back a handful of times, overall, still, he played okay.

Gilmore, is a good value TE at FA or even the 7th round. He is on the bigger end of TEs who demosntrated good pass blocking skills. He also showed he can catch well. Route running can improve. During the middle half of the game, he seemed to have difficulty separating. He alsodid not show much on run blocking.

The big surprise was CSU LB Shaquil Barrett (Jr, 6-2, 250). He consistently performed well throughout the game. Towards the end, played like a man among boys, basically abusing the Halliday and company. In the last 1.5 minutes of the game, almost stripped the ball off Halliday, and actually stripped it from the WSU RB.

[/QUOTE]

I was only able to see small portions of the game, though I did catch end... craziness.  Thanks for the feedback.  Yeah, Barrett had himself quite the season... 20.5 TFL/12 sacks/4 FF/3 blocked kicks/punts/1 INT... made a ton of plays... I've seen a 7th round grade on him and he has a bad body, but it looks like he can play.  Gonna check some of his tape out.

UPDATE:

Watched some Barrett tape and I don't really see how he'd last until Rd 7.  I see a kid that could come off the boards in the middle rounds, if not Day 2.  Again, he's a bit top heavy and sloppy in the mid-section, but he can play.  Very good awareness and instincts and genrally takes a good path to the play/football, active kid that's around the football a lot, didn't see him play in space much, and he did look a little stiff in the play that I saw him drop back, but he has better movement ability/speed then one would think.  He really seems to excel off the edge, where he spends most of his time and can really bend the edge/play with good leverage/get under his blocker... kid's a playmaker.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Anyone catch USC vs. Fresno St?   I wanted to see Carr play and thought it would be a good chance to improve his stock.  He didn't do well.  His footing and mechanics were off.  He didn't step up in the pocket.  At times, he was way off with his receivers.    One of these QBs that if pressure is near they panic a bit.  Positives: strong arm and some mobility.  Some say he will still go 1st Rd, not sure.

USC's CBs did a great job of positioning themselves.

M. Lee is the real deal for USC reminded me of Mike Wallace.

G. Oko was ejected for bumping a ref.

Nelson Agholor, WR is some one to watch for future drafts.

With a new coach coming in for USC we may see sone underclassmen declare, S Dion Bailey.

[/QUOTE]

I noticed that on some of Carr's throws as well... a lot of quick throws where he was just slinging it from the side of his body with his feet open/squared towards the target... not sure if the plays were designed that way to compensate for SC's speed, but def poor technique.

I personally hate most SC players and believe they're generally overrated when it comes to the draft, but Bailey has made pays each time I've seen them play... gonna give him an extend look.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

An interesting opinion of Wisconsin WR Jared Abbrederis (good article overall):

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/early-look-at-the-nfl-draft-b99168238z1-236899801.html

"He's going to be drafted in the third or fourth round but will be a competitive player from Day 1," one scout said. "If he goes to Denver or New England, he may catch 80 balls in his rookie year. He runs good routes. He'll be a slot receiver."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

If we can keep Talib - do you see first round corner as a need? We would have Talib and Dennard, with Ryan and Arrington - 

Ryan has a nose for the ball and seems to be improving. I would almost say we could use another safety - but with high draft picks the last couple of years, doubtful Bill would give up on them this quickly. 

I'm thinking offensive tackle may be 1B to our needs of defensive tackle at 1A. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If we can keep Talib - do you see first round corner as a need? We would have Talib and Dennard, with Ryan and Arrington - 

Ryan has a nose for the ball and seems to be improving. I would almost say we could use another safety - but with high draft picks the last couple of years, doubtful Bill would give up on them this quickly. 

I'm thinking offensive tackle may be 1B to our needs of defensive tackle at 1A. 

[/QUOTE]

If Talib is retained, I do not see them going the CB route in Rd 1.  I'd say OL/DT/TE would be the target under that scenario.  I also wouldn't rule out off the radar picks like QB (McCarron as TB's successor?) and DE/OLB (Mizzou's Kony Ealy?)... they have little depth at the position.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Nice little article on Arthur Lynch.  Smart kid.

http://onlineathens.com/sports/college-sports/2013-12-22/life-lynch-uga-tight-end-prepares-next-stage-career

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/early-look-at-the-nfl-draft-b99168238z1-236899801.html

"He's going to be drafted in the third or fourth round but will be a competitive player from Day 1," one scout said. "If he goes to Denver or New England, he may catch 80 balls in his rookie year. He runs good routes. He'll be a slot receiver."

[/QUOTE]

To complement your link,

http://withthefirstpick.com/2013/12/22/2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report-jared-abbrederis-wr-wisconsin/

We have Moe and Harrison coming back.  Would be interesting!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

To complement your link,

http://withthefirstpick.com/2013/12/22/2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report-jared-abbrederis-wr-wisconsin/

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link... solid, indepth read... fingers crossed that position depth in this class pushes him into Day 3... def a Rd 3/Day 2 talent on my board.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

MB, I read the article about the draft from the link you gave.  It sort of sets up strategy for where NE may go.  I think if a top DT or TE is not available, they will move out of the first. We may have to fill DT needs in the 2nd and 3rd.  I was surprised the scouts interviewed didn't like the quality of CB depth and OG.   We knew S would be weaker than last year.

I think if NE drafts anything OL it might be OT not OG.  We have Kline and others coming back that will do well. Cannon may move although BB likes him as a OT.

The other wildcard is LB.  I see them going that route if Spikes doesn't come back.

It is always a crap shoot!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

Hey guys,

I have followed this thread for a couple of years now, posting sporadically in the past, and I am hoping to post more frequently this year. I am obviously a big fan of the Pats, but I am just as big of a fan of the draft and offseason in general. I'm looking forward to our future discussions. Go Pats!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

One thing I think is worth bringing up is the Patriots "need" for a defensive tackle. Looking at the roster and depth chart at DT for next season, there is very little room to add anyone, unless it was a significant upgrade. I recognize Wilfork is getting up there, and so is Kelly, but we still have a plethora of young guys who are filling in pretty well this year, and when you insert Wilfork and Kelly back into the equation, will be very good rotational players.

Assuming Sopoaga is gone next year which pretty much a formality at this point with his play thus far plus his contract, this is what we have at the DT position next year:

Wilfork, Kelly, Jones, Siliga, Armstead, Vellano, Grissom, Forston

As it is, with just that group, we will already likely have to cut one or more players that either have contributed this year or have 'potential' like Armstead. To me, Jones is a perfect rotational DT especially in sub packages to rush the passer. He has played well in tough circumstances, but could likely provide more value not playing significant snaps every game. He is pretty much a lock, I'd say. Siliga, albeit in a small sample size has also produced so far, and helped the run defense, maybe similar to Kyle Love (but better?). Armstead still has great promise, and was suppose to be a bigger part of the defense this year, I still think he will get his chance when fully healthy, which is hopefully next year. Just going up to Armstead, you are already at 5 DT without even counting Vellano (who has played significant snaps for us), Grissom, and Forston. I realize Wilfork and Kelly are getting up there, but they are still going to be good players for a few years, and we have great rotational depth behind them already, so I don't think the need is as great as some make it out to be.

In my opinion, the only way adding a DT to the equation truly makes sense is if it provides some type of upgrade to the group we already have. Who in the draft can realistically do that? Louis Nix for sure, but then we have question marks. The only other player is Hageman and maybe a healthy Dominique Easley.

I just think we have other needs that will likely take precedent, especially after we are out of the 1st round. If a player like Nix slips, or if they feel Hageman is that good, then taking a DT in the first would make sense, but beyond that does a mid-round DT really improve us when we have Jones, Armstead, Siliga, Vellano on top of Wilfork and Kelly?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

To complement your link,

[/QUOTE]

Am pretty disappointed about these articles actually. I always really liked Abbrederis, and was hoping he'd stay under the radar all throughout the process. What the numbers don't show that I just fell he has -- mental toughness and desire to win every contested ball. He also looke like someone who knows how to protect himself even while going all out on the ball. Production-wise, I can see this guy as being Amendola or better when on the field, but will be on the field more.

Abbrederis >>> Moe or Harrison

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

MB, I read the article about the draft from the link you gave.  It sort of sets up strategy for where NE may go.  I think if a top DT or TE is not available, they will move out of the first. We may have to fill DT needs in the 2nd and 3rd.  I was surprised the scouts interviewed didn't like the quality of CB depth and OG.   We knew S would be weaker than last year.

I think if NE drafts anything OL it might be OT not OG.  We have Kline and others coming back that will do well. Cannon may move although BB likes him as a OT.

The other wildcard is LB.  I see them going that route if Spikes doesn't come back.

It is always a crap shoot!

[/QUOTE]

If Siliga continues on his progress, drafting a DT is less pressing. For next year, they could get back Wilfork and Kelly. If so then they have three superbigs (320+). Of course there is a chance that either one or netiher will get back to the same shape. They will be looking for an insurance with starting potential. I can imagine them going for a DT no earlier than the third or fourth round.

TE is more pressing I think. Injuries have kept Gronk out of key playoff games in the past three years. Too much of a pattern to ignore. If he's there next playoffs, then that's bonus. It would be foolish for the Pats to depend on his availability.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

BOWL GUIDE

Sheraton Hawaii Bowl, Dec 24

OSU DE Crichton (Jr, 6-3, 265, r2): Against BSU's OL, Crichton could have a big night. This kid can get to the QB.

OSU QB Mannion (Jr, 6-5, 220, r3): A more conventional QB. Threw for 4403 yards (2nd to Carr) and 36 TDs (3rd behind Carr and Winston). 66% completion and threw only 14 INTs. Excellent prospect to back up a strong incumbent, with potential to develop into a strong starter in 2-3 years.

OSU WR Cooks (Jr, 5-10, 186, r2): Caught 120 passes (2nd in CFB) for 1670 yards (1st in CFB). In the latter half of the year, opposing Ds regularly sent two bodies on him. He had to work harder for his catches and he did.

BSU WR Miller (Jr, 6-3, 218, NR): 77 recs for 934 yds and 11 TDs. If you believe in tall receivers, you should consider Miller. He is not only tall. He is also built thicker by WR standards. Could be a good RZ weapon. Productivity in college was more than decent.

BSU DE/OLB Lawrence (Jr, 6-3, 244, r3-4): Credited for 67 tackles and 10 sacks in 2013. Had a 3.5 sack game against Nevada.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

BOWL GUIDE

Sheraton Hawaii Bowl, Dec 24

OSU DE Crichton (Jr, 6-3, 265, r2): Against BSU's OL, Crichton could have a big night. This kid can get to the QB.

OSU QB Mannion (Jr, 6-5, 220, r3): A more conventional QB. Threw for 4403 yards (2nd to Carr) and 36 TDs (3rd behind Carr and Winston). 66% completion and threw only 14 INTs. Excellent prospect to back up a strong incumbent, with potential to develop into a strong starter in 2-3 years.

OSU WR Cooks (Jr, 5-10, 186, r2): Caught 120 passes (2nd in CFB) for 1670 yards (1st in CFB). In the latter half of the year, opposing Ds regularly sent two bodies on him. He had to work harder for his catches and he did.

BSU WR Miller (Jr, 6-3, 218, NR): 77 recs for 934 yds and 11 TDs. If you believe in tall receivers, you should consider Miller. He is not only tall. He is also built thicker by WR standards. Could be a good RZ weapon. Productivity in college was more than decent.

BSU DE/OLB Lawrence (Jr, 6-3, 244, r3-4): Credited for 67 tackles and 10 sacks in 2013. Had a 3.5 sack game against Nevada.

[/QUOTE]

I just hate games like this. One team blows out the other early, the both teams play games outside their norm. It's hard to figure out what I learned from this game. Well, here's my stab at summarizing what I thought I saw.

1)  I don't know if Mannion is a better QB than Carr. I know that I like his mechanics more than Carr. Carr has a funky throw. It was mentioned earlier that he does not step into his throw. I will add that his arm motion is a little low, almost like a semi-sidearm or something. Mannion's throw is a little more conventional and his accuracy was excellent.

2)  Mannion's accuracy looked fine. But becasue this game was done early, youc an;t really tell how he was under pressure. He just was never under pressure. His arm action was disrupted one time, and it almost resulted in a INt. Otherwise, it was an easy day for him.

3)  Cooks should get a lot of looks by a lot of teams. I don't think the Pats needs him. That said, a lot of teams could use his speed.

4)  Crichton was a little bit of a disappointment. I saw him pressure the QB into an INT very early in the game. I am not sure Is aw him make a standout play oafter that.

5)  While waiting for Crichton to dazzle, the DE who showed a lot was #94, Kell (6-4, 246). ESPN does not show defensive stats, but Kel was the guy who racked up a lot of tackles on this game.

Bottomline... I do not think any of the prospects helped himself draftwise.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from minnypat. Show minnypat's posts

screw it guys, I am sick to death of BB's arrogance and trading down and leaving us with the likes of Dowling etc.

For once I dream the Krafts step up and go get a difference maker. Mallet, Ridley, Vollmer, Dobson and two picks to the Texans for the top pick and take Anthony Barr, the only sure fire superstar in this years draft.

Is Bridgewater really that much better than Mallet? Ridley is gone regardless. Vollmer gets hurt to much, give the job to Cannon. Dobson is a talent but recievers can be found.

I want a true difference maker on defense. Just this once, do it

Just look at what Watts and Kuechly have done for their teams. A defensive diffference maker is worth trading an entire draft for.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to minnypat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

screw it guys, I am sick to death of BB's arrogance and trading down and leaving us with the likes of Dowling etc.

For once I dream the Krafts step up and go get a difference maker. Mallet, Ridley, Vollmer, Dobson and two picks to the Texans for the top pick and take Anthony Barr, the only sure fire superstar in this years draft.

Is Bridgewater really that much better than Mallet? Ridley is gone regardless. Vollmer gets hurt to much, give the job to Cannon. Dobson is a talent but recievers can be found.

I want a true difference maker on defense. Just this once, do it

Just look at what Watts and Kuechly have done for their teams. A defensive diffference maker is worth trading an entire draft for.

[/QUOTE]

Watt was drafted in 2011. He's played three regular seasons. Over that period, what has Houston accomplished, that the Pats has not over the same period?

As for Kuechly, aren't you overstating his value while understating the value of two other high picks they have made since 2011? Kuechly is working out nicely because the front four is working out nicely, thanks to Lotulelei. And while thei D is good now, they can't win if they don't score. They can thank Newton for most of their scoring.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Walterfootball, cbssports and yahoo sports not projecting Bortles in the top 5. Interesting how fast he shot up. He was a projected FA just a month ago.

Has his performance really been impressive, given he has not played any of the strong Ds?  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

BOWL GUIDE

LITTLE CAESAR BOWL

DEC 26

I don't think many of us will be watching this game, but here are a couple of names to watch just in case...

PIT #15, WR Devin Street (Sr, 6-3, 190, proj rnd 3-4): 51 catches for 854 yards and 7 TDs; Street caught my eye last year (2012 season). I am not sure he improved on his technique this year. Productivity declined this year, primarily due to low output on their last two games for the 2013 season (possibly hurt). A decent option for any team looking for a tall, tough outside receiver who can stretch the field. Runs decent routes. Very good hands. Among the tall WRs, Street is one of the better ones at using his big, albeit lanky, frame to catch balls in traffic. A sub-4.5 40 at the combine should validate the rnd 3-4 projection on him. His upside in the NFL will depend on improved route running and gaining 10 lbs, which will make him a very tough matchup.

BGU #82, TE Alex Bayer (Sr, 6-4, 262, proj FA): 34 catches, 536 yds, 3 TDs; I have not seen this kid. I bring him up here because the Pats will be looking for a TE. Somebody mentioned him on this thread just a few weeks ago (jj perhaps?). He obviously has the size. Receiving stats suggest him to be a decent receiving option. Bayer could potentially be the second dip TE if the Pats decides to double dip in the late rounds.

Sections
Shortcuts