***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

BOWL GUIDE

SDCCU POINSETTIA BOWL

DEC 26

Utah State #58, C Tyler Larsen (Sr, 6-4, 312, proj rnd 3-4): Some of us here on these boards that Wendell’s struggles at C, are mainly because he is too small to handle the NGs that are pretty common in the NFL nowadays. Obviously Wendell’s play of late has improved. The question is whether he cans sustain that level of play, or is he topped out. If you believe in the latter, then Larsen could be a good reason, possibly the only reason, to watch this game. He is on the biggish side of Cs coming out of college. This one though is highly graded by the scouts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to minnypat's comment:

screw it guys, I am sick to death of BB's arrogance and trading down and leaving us with the likes of Dowling etc.

For once I dream the Krafts step up and go get a difference maker. Mallet, Ridley, Vollmer, Dobson and two picks to the Texans for the top pick and take Anthony Barr, the only sure fire superstar in this years draft.

Is Bridgewater really that much better than Mallet? Ridley is gone regardless. Vollmer gets hurt to much, give the job to Cannon. Dobson is a talent but recievers can be found.

I want a true difference maker on defense. Just this once, do it

Just look at what Watts and Kuechly have done for their teams. A defensive diffference maker is worth trading an entire draft for.

First, welcome to the thread.

Youu're not going to see BB move up into the top of the draft for anyone... it's fun to debate the possibilities, and we have in the past, but it's not realistic, even with the rookie cap.  

What you may see however(assuming the right guy is in range), is something similar to 2012 when BB moved up twice in Rd 1 to select Chandler and Hightower... I'd say Chandler has been a difference maker and you were able to get him #21 overall.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to sportslover21's comment:

One thing I think is worth bringing up is the Patriots "need" for a defensive tackle. Looking at the roster and depth chart at DT for next season, there is very little room to add anyone, unless it was a significant upgrade. I recognize Wilfork is getting up there, and so is Kelly, but we still have a plethora of young guys who are filling in pretty well this year, and when you insert Wilfork and Kelly back into the equation, will be very good rotational players.

Assuming Sopoaga is gone next year which pretty much a formality at this point with his play thus far plus his contract, this is what we have at the DT position next year:

Wilfork, Kelly, Jones, Siliga, Armstead, Vellano, Grissom, Forston

As it is, with just that group, we will already likely have to cut one or more players that either have contributed this year or have 'potential' like Armstead. To me, Jones is a perfect rotational DT especially in sub packages to rush the passer. He has played well in tough circumstances, but could likely provide more value not playing significant snaps every game. He is pretty much a lock, I'd say. Siliga, albeit in a small sample size has also produced so far, and helped the run defense, maybe similar to Kyle Love (but better?). Armstead still has great promise, and was suppose to be a bigger part of the defense this year, I still think he will get his chance when fully healthy, which is hopefully next year. Just going up to Armstead, you are already at 5 DT without even counting Vellano (who has played significant snaps for us), Grissom, and Forston. I realize Wilfork and Kelly are getting up there, but they are still going to be good players for a few years, and we have great rotational depth behind them already, so I don't think the need is as great as some make it out to be.

In my opinion, the only way adding a DT to the equation truly makes sense is if it provides some type of upgrade to the group we already have. Who in the draft can realistically do that? Louis Nix for sure, but then we have question marks. The only other player is Hageman and maybe a healthy Dominique Easley.

I just think we have other needs that will likely take precedent, especially after we are out of the 1st round. If a player like Nix slips, or if they feel Hageman is that good, then taking a DT in the first would make sense, but beyond that does a mid-round DT really improve us when we have Jones, Armstead, Siliga, Vellano on top of Wilfork and Kelly?

This is where BB's ability to build depth across the roster comes into play as you could probably make a similar argument for most of the "positions of need".  

One position that isn't dicussed much, but looks relatively thin on paper... and in terms of production is DE/OLB... sure you have Chandler and Nink, but Carter is on the downside and Bequette hasn't proven anything and while he's showed flashes, Buchanan (who I like) is still unproven.  

Not saying they'll look at an edge rusher early, but a case could be made for one, to join rotation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

BOWL GUIDE

SDCCU POINSETTIA BOWL

DEC 26

Utah State #58, C Tyler Larsen (Sr, 6-4, 312, proj rnd 3-4): Some of us here on these boards that Wendell’s struggles at C, are mainly because he is too small to handle the NGs that are pretty common in the NFL nowadays. Obviously Wendell’s play of late has improved. The question is whether he cans sustain that level of play, or is he topped out. If you believe in the latter, then Larsen could be a good reason, possibly the only reason, to watch this game. He is on the biggish side of Cs coming out of college. This one though is highly graded by the scouts.

Good job on these profiles, pat.

Another kid to keep an eye on for the Poinsettia Bowl is NIU DT Ken Bishop (6-1 308)... he's a squatty, strong, active kid (65 tackles on the season) that could bring some Day 3 value.

Of course they also have the ultra-productive/dual-threat QB Jordan Lynch and while he's small by NF QB standards (6-0 216)... he's fun to watch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Looks like Tuitt received a Rd 2 grade from the NFL Draft Advisory... hopefully he returns to school for 2014... my Irish need the DL help!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Looks like Tuitt received a Rd 2 grade from the NFL Draft Advisory... hopefully he returns to school for 2014... my Irish need the DL help!

Hypothetical question for you. Is it possible the Nix/Tuitt thing could be a similar situation as the Brace/Raji situation -- one looks better than he really is because he benefits from the other? Assuming yes, which one do you think is Brace? Which one is Raji?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Hypothetical question for you. Is it possible the Nix/Tuitt thing could be a similar situation as the Brace/Raji situation -- one looks better than he really is because he benefits from the other? Assuming yes, which one do you think is Brace? Which one is Raji?

To be honest, I think both are Rd 1 caliber players, and that's not just homer talk.  Don't believe Tuitt was 100% for a lot of the season and came into the season heavier than ideal... believe it was tied to lingering physical issues (sports hernia, I believe).  He looked really good towards the end of the season when Big Lou was already on the shelf.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

To be honest, I think both are Rd 1 caliber players, and that's not just homer talk.  Don't believe Tuitt was 100% for a lot of the season and came into the season heavier than ideal... believe it was tied to lingering physical issues (sports hernia, I believe).  He looked really good towards the end of the season when Big Lou was already on the shelf.

Just playing different scenarios. Based on what I saw last year, I definitely think Tuitt is rnd 1 (I do not think there is a debate with Nix). When I saw Tuitt early this year, I thought he was off (very big disconnect with what I remember him to be from last year). Immediately though, I did notice, him being much bigger this year than last. I think he will play much better if he drops back down to 305-310.

I'd love it if Pats takes him in late rnd 1 despite consensus grade. In a 43, I think he would be great inside, or even play Bryant's role in Seattle. In a 34, I can imagine him to be Seymour.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

BOWL GUIDE

SDCCU POINSETTIA BOWL

DEC 26

I just learned that I do not know what a third rounder C looks like. He definitely does not have the lateral movement to be a first rounder. Is he a third rounder? I don't know. If he can help the Pats at all, I did not see it in his game today.

On running plays, basically, after snapping, he just shoots forward, and gets though the DL... often pretty much untouched. I am not sure if the NIU DLmen were avoiding to engage him (He is the biggest guy on the field). So, you see him often 3-5 yards in front of the LOS, but I am not sure he actually blocks anyone all the time. UTSU had a good ground game. IMO the heavy lifting was done by the Gs, #54 and #66.

On passing plays, the opposing DL seems to be trying to go around him. To his credit, he seems to stand his ground where he is supposed to be, regardless if none of the DLs are engaging him.

Bottomline... if he were available in the third round and I was asked if they should take him, I probably recommend to go another direction.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Just been working some mock drafts. Came up with

1st      Austin Seferian-Jenkins      TE     

2nd     Chris Smith                        DE/OLB34    

3rd      Denzel Perryman               ILB

Looking at the Patriots roster for 2014 before the draft and FA, these 3 areas are deficient by 1 player - TE, DE, ILB. We have 7 DTs signed for 2014. We could argue the quality, but Kelly, Wilfork coming back is a major upgrade, along with Armstead.  They will probably resign Siliga and release Vellano.

I see NE resigning: KLINE, OG, TALIB, CB, WENDELL, OC, SILIGA, DT, AIKEN, LS, BLOUNT, RB.  At least I would think they would look at these positions in FA.

TE is obvious. ASJ or Amaro

DE43/OLB34 is also needed. Bequette is signed but just not producing. Jones, Nink ( getting old), Buchanan, just 4. Carter gone!

Chris Smith is strong enough to set the edge, fast, with pash rushing moves.

ILB is the forgotten position but could be the one that solidfies the defense.  We have Chris White and Beauharnais under contract.  Spikes may or may not be resigned. I am going with the latter.  I consider Hightower more of an OLB.

Perryman has been on the field all year.  HE has over 100 tackles and he is also a 3 down LB.

This is only the first 3 rounds and we will have probably 10 picks overall with compensation picks. The rest of the picks will be for depth.  I could see another TE and a CB selected for sure.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

new draft for the new year!

1st round- do what bb does best, trade 1st and 6th for later firs,3rd and 5th.

1st round (from trade) - Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford

2nd round- Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State - only workhorse RB in this draft, hardly ever fumbles

3rd round - Ahmad Brooks, SS, Baylor

3rd round (from trade) - Daniel McCullers, DT, Tenn.

4th round- Gabe Ikard, C, Oaklahoma

5th round - Max Bullough, ILB, MSU (assuming spikes is walking wouldbe a solid replacement)

6th round (from Pitt) - Colt Lyera, TE, Oregon

6th round - Traded

7th round - Kenny Guiton, QB, OSU

UDFA- Spencer Long, OG, Nebraska

UDFA - Cornelius Lucas, OT, Kansas State

resign Talib, Endelman,Blount

spikes and wendell walk

trade mallett and amendola for Phil Taylor, NT, Browns

Sign Emmanuel sanders, WR, Pitt and Alex Mack, C, Browns

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

BOWL GUIDE

SDCCU POINSETTIA BOWL

DEC 26

I just learned that I do not know what a third rounder C looks like. He definitely does not have the lateral movement to be a first rounder. Is he a third rounder? I don't know. If he can help the Pats at all, I did not see it in his game today.

On running plays, basically, after snapping, he just shoots forward, and gets though the DL... often pretty much untouched. I am not sure if the NIU DLmen were avoiding to engage him (He is the biggest guy on the field). So, you see him often 3-5 yards in front of the LOS, but I am not sure he actually blocks anyone all the time. UTSU had a good ground game. IMO the heavy lifting was done by the Gs, #54 and #66.

On passing plays, the opposing DL seems to be trying to go around him. To his credit, he seems to stand his ground where he is supposed to be, regardless if none of the DLs are engaging him.

Bottomline... if he were available in the third round and I was asked if they should take him, I probably recommend to go another direction.

Thanks for the feedback, man.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

new draft for the new year!

1st round- do what bb does best, trade 1st and 6th for later firs,3rd and 5th.

1st round (from trade) - Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford

2nd round- Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State - only workhorse RB in this draft, hardly ever fumbles

3rd round - Ahmad Brooks, SS, Baylor

3rd round (from trade) - Daniel McCullers, DT, Tenn.

4th round- Gabe Ikard, C, Oaklahoma

5th round - Max Bullough, ILB, MSU (assuming spikes is walking wouldbe a solid replacement)

6th round (from Pitt) - Colt Lyera, TE, Oregon

6th round - Traded

7th round - Kenny Guiton, QB, OSU

UDFA- Spencer Long, OG, Nebraska

UDFA - Cornelius Lucas, OT, Kansas State

resign Talib, Endelman,Blount

spikes and wendell walk

trade mallett and amendola for Phil Taylor, NT, Browns

Sign Emmanuel sanders, WR, Pitt and Alex Mack, C, Browns

I'd be happy with this off season.

1.  Murphy is a stud and his versatility/length is what BB looks for.

2.  Hyde isn't the only workhorse, and they'll have to check out his off the field, but he could be an excellent get... not sure they target a RB that high, but the kid can play.

3.  Dixon woud be a solid late Day 2 S.

4.  Love Bullough at this point, if available.  Big time film rat, would be an extra coach on the field... will prob have to check out his off the field too after his suspension for the Rose Bowl.

5.  I see the value of Lyerla here, but I'm not a fan... kid is trouble, IMO.

6.  I like Guiton late on Day 3.

As for FA, I hope they re-sign Spikes... still would like Sanders or even a Golden Tate... not sure what they'd spend on a FA C and I don't see Cleveland trading Taylor.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

BOWL GUIDE

TEXAS BOWL

DEC 27

Two DLmen on showcase on this game -- MIN DT Hageman and SYR DT Bromley. The two are very different styles of DL.

MIN #99, DT Ra'Shede Hageman (Sr, 6-6, 322, proj rnd 1-2)

Hageman is very highly regarded on draft sites. Some sites had him as the top DT (most have him the second, behind Nix).

From what I have seen on three MIN games I watched, he has good potential. He is a long, well-proportioned 311 pounder. I believe someone mentioned he was a TE until a few years a go. That explains the athleticism.

On those three games I watched, however, Hageman did not have much of an impact. On each game, he was not on the field on half of MIN's defensive snaps. And when on the field, he seldom looks like the best DL on the field. Except for one or two times in a game when he makes a highlight reel-worthy play, he does not seem to impact any plays.

Hopefully, today, he plays the mojority of defensive snaps and, when on the field, be as active as would be expected to match that physique and athleticism.

SYR #96, DT Jay Bromley (Sr, 6-4, 293, proj rnd 5-6)

Bromley plays the DT role differently from Hageman. Bromley is a high activity guy who penetrates the DL. He accumulated 11.5 TFLs and 8 sacks in 2013. Among DTs, only Quarles scored more sacks (9.5). The question mark on Bromley is whether he is too light for DT. He is sometimes listed at 285 lbs.

----

SYR also has other huge DT/NT type players. It would be interesting to see how they play and work with Bromley at the line.

#52 Eric Crume, NT (6-0, 325)

#77 Zian Jones, NT (6-4, 315)

#97 John Raymon, DE (6-5, 319)

#99 Ryan Sloan, DT (6-2, 330)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

BOWL GUIDE
    FIGHT HUNGER BOWL, DEC 27

BYU vs WASHINGTON

BYU Van Noy and UW’s Sefarian Jenkins are the main attraction in this game

BYU #3, DE/OLB Kyle Van Noy (Sr, 6-3, 245, proj rnd 1-2): 54 tackles, 4.0 sacks. Has the ability to dominate, as he demonstrated in their bowl game last year. Overall quieter this season, but still putting up good numbers. Interesting if he can have another great performance on this bowl game.

BYU #2, WR Cody Hoffman (Sr, 6-4, 210, proj rnd 5): 45 recs for 727 yds and 5 TDs

BYU #82, TE Kaneakua Friel (Sr, 6-5, 261, Proj rnd 7): 11 recs for 128 yds

UW #88, TE Austin Sefarian-Jenkins (6-6, 276, proj rnd 1): In 2013 made 33 recs for 413 yds (12.5 yds per catch) – a huge dip from 2012 when he made 69 recs for 852 yds. However, still arguably the most well-rounded/versatile among the TEs. May not be the best in any one aspect, but among the best in every aspect of TE play.

UW #2, WR Kasen Williams (Jr, 6-2, 212, proj rnd 3): 21 recs for 432 yds (14.5 yds per catch) in 8 games played (out hurt since 11/9)

UW #21, CB Marcus Peters (rSo, 5-11, 193, proj rnd 7): 54 tkls, 1 sack, 5 INTs. Probably could use one more year of college play, but has been good in coverage. Biggest asset is fearlessness. Maybe not a honey badger, but has been willing to play with bigger receivers.

UW #17, QB Keith Price (Sr, 6-1, 202, proj rnd 7): 65.5% completion rate in 2013. Only 5 INTs but was sacked 27 times.

UW #25, RB Bishop Sankey (Jr, 5-10, 203 proj rnd 2): 306 carries for 1775 yds (5.8 ypc); 25 recs for 298 yds (11.9 yds per catch)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from minnypat. Show minnypat's posts

screw it guys, I am sick to death of BB's arrogance and trading down and leaving us with the likes of Dowling etc.

For once I dream the Krafts step up and go get a difference maker. Mallet, Ridley, Vollmer, Dobson and two picks to the Texans for the top pick and take Anthony Barr, the only sure fire superstar in this years draft.

Is Bridgewater really that much better than Mallet? Ridley is gone regardless. Vollmer gets hurt to much, give the job to Cannon. Dobson is a talent but recievers can be found.

I want a true difference maker on defense. Just this once, do it

Just look at what Watts and Kuechly have done for their teams. A defensive diffference maker is worth trading an entire draft for.

Watt was drafted in 2011. He's played three regular seasons. Over that period, what has Houston accomplished, that the Pats has not over the same period?

As for Kuechly, aren't you overstating his value while understating the value of two other high picks they have made since 2011? Kuechly is working out nicely because the front four is working out nicely, thanks to Lotulelei. And while thei D is good now, they can't win if they don't score. They can thank Newton for most of their scoring.

As usual, you make the better argument Seattle. But I still say the goal is to win the Super Bowl, not have the best draft. And to win the Super Bowl you need difference makers. We had em when we won - Law and Bruschi and Vrabel and McGinnest etc. Guys who would make the big play.You gotta have 4 or 5 difference makers on defense to win the big game. We're not even close this year with Mayo and Wilfork hurt.

My big thing this year is that I think all these QB's coming out are vastly overrrated. Manziel is NOT the next Russell Wilson or Fran Tarkenton. And the rest of em are all hit or miss. If you were say the Vikings GM would you really want Taj Boyd over Mallet who has studied under Brady? All the teams looking at QB - Minny, Cleveland, etc - would have to consider a Mallet trade. And I'm also sick to death of trading down and ending up with the likes of Dowling and Cunningham etc. Brady (and thus the Pats) is on a 4-5 year window. Get a difference maker NOW.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

BOWL REVIEW

BYU vs U of WASHINGTON

Before I give my assessments of the players already mentioned, I want to add a new name – Hau’oli Kikaha, UW DE/OLB, Jr, 6-3, 250. The guy is explosive and puts his speed to good use. Made three sacks and at least one FF. Was constantly on the BYU QB’s face. Comfortable in either stance. I did not see him drop back but showed he’s comfortable playing/ tackling in open field. One or two times got careless and failed to seal the edge, but overall, outstanding.

Almost forgot. UW's John Timu (ILB, 6-1, 235) had a hell of a game as well. Unofficially, had 13 tackles. Displayed impressive speed and instincts. Looked really good reading and reacting to BYU's plays.

UW #88, TE Austin Sefarian-Jenkins (6-6, 276, proj rnd 1):

I don’t know what to make of his play today. I only saw him make one nice catch, for a TD. Throughout the game, he did a decent job blocking. That said, there is something off about his body language. He did not look engaged. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but to some extent, he looked like he was taking plays off. A little disappointing, frankly.

UW #25, RB Bishop Sankey (Jr, 5-10, 203 proj rnd 2):

One word – special. Too bad the Pats have four good RBs. This kid will be a pain in Ds’ behinds. Really good vision paired with a really nasty jump cut to the right, very capable of breaking a lot of ankles.

UW #21, CB Marcus Peters (rSo, 5-11, 193, proj rnd 7):

His play was not exactly sharp. Got beaten once when the BYU QB got away from a sack. Almost got beaten twice. He should go back to school to build a better resume.

UW #17, QB Keith Price (Sr, 6-1, 202, proj rnd 7):

Smart QB. Good leader. Deserves a first backup role, but could develop into a starter. Likely will be drafted no earlier than the third day, perhaps fall to FA, due to his size.

BYU #3, DE/OLB Kyle Van Noy (Sr, 6-3, 245, proj rnd 1-2):

Had a very impressive first half, showing flashes of why he belongs in the first round. His best play came at 1:28 in Q1. UW attempted a 4 and 1 inside the BYU 5. Van Noy fought through two blocking TEs to tackle Sankey 5 yards behind the LOS. It was a thing of beauty. He followed through the rest of the half with some nice tackles. Kind of disappeared in the second half. Overall performance did not match his bowl performance vs SDSU in 2012

BYU #2, WR Cody Hoffman (Sr, 6-4, 210, proj rnd 5):

IMO Hoffman opened a lot of eyes with his play today. He was basically unstoppable in the first half, catching all balls thrown his way and eluding tackles for more yards. I am guessing his 40-time will hold him down in the draft.

BYU #82, TE Kaneakua Friel (Sr, 6-5, 261, Proj rnd 7):

Was he even on the field?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

BOWL REVIEW

BYU vs U of WASHINGTON

Before I give my assessments of the players already mentioned, I want to add a new name – Hau’oli Kikaha, UW DE/OLB, Jr, 6-3, 250. The guy is explosive and puts his speed to good use. Made three sacks and at least one FF. Was constantly on the BYU QB’s face. Comfortable in either stance. I did not see him drop back but showed he’s comfortable playing/ tackling in open field. One or two times got careless and failed to seal the edge, but overall, outstanding.

Almost forgot. UW's John Timu (ILB, 6-1, 235) had a hell of a game as well. Unofficially, had 13 tackles. Displayed impressive speed and instincts. Looked really good reading and reacting to BYU's plays.

I don’t know what to make of his play today. I only saw him make one nice catch, for a TD. Throughout the game, he did a decent job blocking. That said, there is something off about his body language. He did not look engaged. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but to some extent, he looked like he was taking plays off. A little disappointing, frankly.

One word – special. Too bad the Pats have four good RBs. This kid will be a pain in Ds’ behinds. Really good vision paired with a really nasty jump cut to the right, very capable of breaking a lot of ankles.

His play was not exactly sharp. Got beaten once when the BYU QB got away from a sack. Almost got beaten twice. He should go back to school to build a better resume.

Smart QB. Good leader. Deserves a first backup role, but could develop into a starter. Likely will be drafted no earlier than the third day, perhaps fall to FA, due to his size.

Had a very impressive first half, showing flashes of why he belongs in the first round. His best play came at 1:28 in Q1. UW attempted a 4 and 1 inside the BYU 5. Van Noy fought through two blocking TEs to tackle Sankey 5 yards behind the LOS. It was a thing of beauty. He followed through the rest of the half with some nice tackles. Kind of disappeared in the second half. Overall performance did not match his bowl performance vs SDSU in 2012

IMO Hoffman opened a lot of eyes with his play today. He was basically unstoppable in the first half, catching all balls thrown his way and eluding tackles for more yards. I am guessing his 40-time will hold him down in the draft.

I've had similar questions on ASJ... looks the part and does a good job inline, but I don't see a ton of intensity and to be honest, I think he'd be much better off loosing 10+ pounds.

Any feedback on rSO DE/OLB Bronson Kaufusi or DT Eathyn Manumaleuna?

Kaufusi looked really good vs. ND and has excellent size/length and Manumaleuna is a high motor, experienced, versatile type kid.

Good info on Kikahi, I'm gonna have to give him a look.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Fresno State's ultra-productive rSO WR Davante Adams to declare for the draft.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10202774/fresno-state-bulldogs-davante-adams-declares-nfl-draft

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

BOWL REVIEW

BYU vs U of WASHINGTON

I've had similar questions on ASJ... looks the part and does a good job inline, but I don't see a ton of intensity and to be honest, I think he'd be much better off loosing 10+ pounds.

Any feedback on rSO DE/OLB Bronson Kaufusi or DT Eathyn Manumaleuna?

Kaufusi looked really good vs. ND and has excellent size/length and Manumaleuna is a high motor, experienced, versatile type kid.

Good info on Kikahi, I'm gonna have to give him a look.

I'd have to watch ithe game again. The first half had a lot going on that were unexpected and positively distracting -- Hoffman, Kikaha, etc. I did not mention on my review, I even forgot to mention another UW player who I thought played well - #1, the FS. I think his name is Carter.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

MB, what do you think of ND so far?  I hink they were expecting an easier game.  Tuitt not doing much, but he is a load.

Coleman doing ok for Rutgers.

The field is terrible, maybe the equalizer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

As usual, you make the better argument Seattle. But I still say the goal is to win the Super Bowl, not have the best draft. And to win the Super Bowl you need difference makers. We had em when we won - Law and Bruschi and Vrabel and McGinnest etc. Guys who would make the big play.You gotta have 4 or 5 difference makers on defense to win the big game. We're not even close this year with Mayo and Wilfork hurt.

My big thing this year is that I think all these QB's coming out are vastly overrrated. Manziel is NOT the next Russell Wilson or Fran Tarkenton. And the rest of em are all hit or miss. If you were say the Vikings GM would you really want Taj Boyd over Mallet who has studied under Brady? All the teams looking at QB - Minny, Cleveland, etc - would have to consider a Mallet trade. And I'm also sick to death of trading down and ending up with the likes of Dowling and Cunningham etc. Brady (and thus the Pats) is on a 4-5 year window. Get a difference maker NOW.

BTW Minny, Welcome. Your post suggests to me you actually are not new to the board. However, your post count is low, so in case you are indeed new, welcome.

Now to respond to your post...

I don't think there is any debate at all that the goal is to win a SB. The debate really is in how you achieve that.

There are those who say you sell out the entire draft to get THE "surefire" playmaker of the draft. That's what ATL did to get Julio Jones; WAS did to get RGIII. Where are they now?

BB's approach which is to build a solid team with a sprinkling of a few playmakers is one I have learned to like over the years. It gets them to the playoffs consistently. Once in the playoffs, it's anybody's game.

Besides, where do playmakers come from? A good way to get a perspective is look at the five drafts that led to the 2001 SB season (just the first three rounds).

2001: #6 NT Seymour; #48 OT Light; #86 Brock Williams; #96 OL Kenyatta Jones

2000: #46 OL Klemm; #76 RB Redmond; #199 QB Brady; #239 FB Pass

1999: #17 C Woody; #28 LB Katzenmoyer; #46 RB Faulk; #91 SS T George

1998: #18 RB R Edwards; #22 S T Jones; #52 WR Simmons; #54 TE Rutledge; #81 FB Floyd

1997: #29 CB Canty; #59 DT Mitchell; #61 RB Shaw; #89 S Carter

1996: #7 WR Glenn; #36 S Milloy; #86 LB Bruschi

In yellow are guys who made key plays throughout the season that led up to their first SB win. Other than Seymour, none of the names were flashy. You actually mentioned Bruschi. Bruschi was an above average, but not really highly regarded LB. During the 2001 season, none of the LBs had the label of playmaker.

On QBs coming out of college being overrated...

I think that is less the case nowadays vs 15 years ago. QBs now are much better prepared. It used to be that one or two WBs would have the best training and the bigger public did not understand what training was good. Nowadays, that information is public knowledge. Top rated QBs all have gone through very good, very rigorous programs, that prepare them not just physically but also mentally. The top-rated QBs are the ones who emerged among those who went through similarly good QB programs. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

MB, what do you think of ND so far?  I hink they were expecting an easier game.  Tuitt not doing much, but he is a load.

Coleman doing ok for Rutgers.

The feild is terrible, maybe the equalizer.

Frustrating to watch, though I'm not surprised though as they've been playing to their competition all season.  It should be noted that they're playing the game without their coordinators, as both both were hired as HC's elsewhere (Diaco/Uconn / Martin/Miami Ohio.... but it's no excuse as Rutgers is an inferior team with inferior talent.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I love Martin.  Would be perfect for NE. Has size, versatility and is nasty.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

I love Martin.  Would be perfect for NE. Has size, versatility and is nasty.

Yep, been saying it for a while... one of the most consistent, durable players in the country... could be Matt Light or a stud OG.

Sections
Shortcuts