***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]The Case for Length: Mississippi State OLB Benardrick McKinney Comments Off sbischoff  December 31, 2013 Uncategorized

There are times when evaluating talent for the NFL that a look at the player’s measurable tells the tale. For Mississippi State OLB Benardrick McKinney, the measurables that matter all happen to fall in his favor, in a very big way.

McKinney is 6’4-3/4” tall, currently weighs 252 pounds and has a ho-hum 7 percent body fat. He can gain weight and grow without losing any explosive playmaking ability at all. He is expected to post a 42” vertical jump, a 10’3” broad jump and a 40-yard dash time around 4.45 seconds. These numbers are going to make NFL people drool.

There are reasons for McKinney to enter this draft, some that will remain quiet, and some as obvious as looking at anyone’s big board. Elite athletes always are near the top of the draft, but this year you will not find a body type like his anywhere near the top of the 2014 draft big board.

McKinney is going to be a pass rusher in the NFL. Let’s look at the elite pass rushers available in Round 1. UCLA OLB Anthony Barr is 6’3” and 235 pounds. Buffalo OLB Kahlil Mack is 6’2” and 244 pounds. Clemson OLB Vic Beasley is 6’2” and 235 pounds. BYU OLB Kyle Van Noy is 6’3” and 235 pounds. Ohio State OLB Ryan Shazier is 6’2” and 226 pound.

There is a body type that’s missing, and in particular one attribute missing. That attribute is length and we know what long arms can do for a player trying to get to the quarterback. McKinney has the body type that bridges the gap from the solely defensive end types (think Clowney) to the OLB types. The OLB types are going to have a tough time setting the edge against the run as they are too small.

Benardrick McKinney is a player who has the movement skills to play OLB at the next level. When you look at his long-armed frame and then consider that he weighs 252 pounds at 7 percent body fat, it means he can add weight and play defensive end. There aren’t many players who are capable of doing this, especially one as highly thought of as McKinney.

Interesting arguement to me, but I like football IQ also.

[/QUOTE]

Wish I could find some tape!

[/QUOTE]

I do not recommend going out of your wayto find that tape. McKinney has length. I believe that is all he has going for him.

JJ, please don't take this as a knock on you. This is a knock on whoever wrote that article. Well, unless you wrote the article.

I just saw all of MISS ST's defensive snaps during their bowl game vs Rice. McKinney made one play the whole game. He pushed OoB Rice's QB who had tos cramble towards the left sideline because of pressure from McKInney's teammate. He lined up mostly as a ILB. I don't think he is always aware of where the ball is.

I may be wrong about this guy, but with the way he moves on the field, I can't imagine him making too many plays in any game.

Something funny: My 10 yr old son came by and asked me who I was watching. I told him #50 on the red team. He watched for a minute... then bluntly said #50's's not good.

IMO, when talking about pass rushing, McKinney should not be in the same paragraph as Barr, Beasley, Mack, Van Noy (one kid I have been critical of this year) or Shazier.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ok pulled together my top 3 per round and here's my thinking:

5th round:

Tyler Larsen C - Utah S - 6'4" 312

Larsen had a solid overall year and is a better run blocker than a pass blocker but he is someone Scar can work well with. It will be interesting to see how he performs in the east-west shrine game

Keith McGill CB - Utah - 6'3" 205

McGill missed all of 12' but rebounded well in 13'. He's a bit raw but has tremendous speed for his size with a knack to cover taller outside receivers. Needs to use his big body more often and be more agressive at the line (I fear his 12' injury made him tenative to hit) he has a lot of upside because of athletic ability. Whether he can put it all together is a question mark but that's why I have him pegged in the 5th.

[/QUOTE]

5th round soudns right for Larsen. A couple of weeks ago, I saw graded as a third rounder. The kid has no lateral movement.

McGill in the fifth is IMO good value.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Please excuse me for bragging for a minute. I accidentally stumbled upon this as I was looking for a post from a while back. I don't get a lot of predictions right on this prospects. This was long ago, I totally forgot I wrote it.

I wrote this right after FSU played Pittsburgh in week 1.

Not relevant for 2014 draft: FSU QB Winston will be in the discussion for 2015 #1 overall pick and the 2013-14 Heisman. A rFr, he made quarterbacking look really easy vs. Pitt. Finished the first half with a 17/18 completion rate. My only criticism of him is he sometimes throws on his back foot. On the other hand, even when throwing on his back foot, he throws long and accurate. The kid is 6’4”, 230 lbs, scrambles when needed and can throw well on the run.

http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/2014-patriots-draft-thread/100/6790538?page=3

I also wrote about Kelvin Benjamin.

When I wrote it, I assumed Mariota, Hundley, Manziel, Bridgewater and Boyd were declaring for the draft. It might be tough for Winston to be the #1 pick in 2015, if Mariota or Hundley has a good 2014 season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Wow... the last drive was a good display of good QBing by Winston. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Of course Winston went to Benjamin expecting a tough TD catch

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Manziel's WR Mike Evans has declared for the draft also... Me I'm in for a TE but not the same guys as you all want. I'm hoping O'Leary declares or that ASJ lands in our range! As I have read OB down in Texas is going to make a serious run at acquiring Mallett, All he has to do is bring a 2nd round pick to the table and since he owns #33 in the draft I'm sure that he and BB can swing a deal. Now that the CFB seasons are over this draft is going to be a monster draft! With plenty of guys who would have been coming next year avoiding the rush and entering this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]The Case for Length: Mississippi State OLB Benardrick McKinney Comments Off sbischoff  December 31, 2013 Uncategorized

There are times when evaluating talent for the NFL that a look at the player’s measurable tells the tale. For Mississippi State OLB Benardrick McKinney, the measurables that matter all happen to fall in his favor, in a very big way.

McKinney is 6’4-3/4” tall, currently weighs 252 pounds and has a ho-hum 7 percent body fat. He can gain weight and grow without losing any explosive playmaking ability at all. He is expected to post a 42” vertical jump, a 10’3” broad jump and a 40-yard dash time around 4.45 seconds. These numbers are going to make NFL people drool.

There are reasons for McKinney to enter this draft, some that will remain quiet, and some as obvious as looking at anyone’s big board. Elite athletes always are near the top of the draft, but this year you will not find a body type like his anywhere near the top of the 2014 draft big board.

McKinney is going to be a pass rusher in the NFL. Let’s look at the elite pass rushers available in Round 1. UCLA OLB Anthony Barr is 6’3” and 235 pounds. Buffalo OLB Kahlil Mack is 6’2” and 244 pounds. Clemson OLB Vic Beasley is 6’2” and 235 pounds. BYU OLB Kyle Van Noy is 6’3” and 235 pounds. Ohio State OLB Ryan Shazier is 6’2” and 226 pound.

There is a body type that’s missing, and in particular one attribute missing. That attribute is length and we know what long arms can do for a player trying to get to the quarterback. McKinney has the body type that bridges the gap from the solely defensive end types (think Clowney) to the OLB types. The OLB types are going to have a tough time setting the edge against the run as they are too small.

Benardrick McKinney is a player who has the movement skills to play OLB at the next level. When you look at his long-armed frame and then consider that he weighs 252 pounds at 7 percent body fat, it means he can add weight and play defensive end. There aren’t many players who are capable of doing this, especially one as highly thought of as McKinney.

[/QUOTE]

I do not recommend going out of your wayto find that tape. McKinney has length. I believe that is all he has going for him.

JJ, please don't take this as a knock on you. This is a knock on whoever wrote that article. Well, unless you wrote the article.

I just saw all of MISS ST's defensive snaps during their bowl game vs Rice. McKinney made one play the whole game. He pushed OoB Rice's QB who had tos cramble towards the left sideline because of pressure from McKInney's teammate. He lined up mostly as a ILB. I don't think he is always aware of where the ball is.

I may be wrong about this guy, but with the way he moves on the field, I can't imagine him making too many plays in any game.

Something funny: My 10 yr old son came by and asked me who I was watching. I told him #50 on the red team. He watched for a minute... then bluntly said #50's's not good.

IMO, when talking about pass rushing, McKinney should not be in the same paragraph as Barr, Beasley, Mack, Van Noy (one kid I have been critical of this year) or Shazier.

[/QUOTE]

Good comments, did not write the article, except for the last comment. The author is focused on McKinney being great for just his elite athletic ability.  I don't agree,  what about football IQ?  You may be able to run and be very strong but if your at the wrong place at the wrong time on the field what good are you.  

Also, like MB said, need film to see what else he has done besides teh Rice game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/01/ifo_ekpre-olomu_will_stay_at_o.html

1st round grade but staying in school. Darn!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Manziel's WR Mike Evans has declared for the draft also... Me I'm in for a TE but not the same guys as you all want. I'm hoping O'Leary declares or that ASJ lands in our range! As I have read OB down in Texas is going to make a serious run at acquiring Mallett, All he has to do is bring a 2nd round pick to the table and since he owns #33 in the draft I'm sure that he and BB can swing a deal. Now that the CFB seasons are over this draft is going to be a monster draft! With plenty of guys who would have been coming next year avoiding the rush and entering this year.

[/QUOTE]

ASJ seems like he's either going to be pyrite or pure gold. Not sure which right now as at times he seems beyond dominate and others like he isn't trying from down to down. His game hasn't really developed as expected since his 11' year so the question is, has he already reached his ceiling?

Are you looking at O'Leary as more of a pass catching TE? He seems a bit undersized to me to be blocking on the line.

Where did you hear about OB wanting Mallett? That would make sense if he really wanted Clowney but short of Clowney I can't see him not taking a QB with that first. I would love to see it happen though. That could give us a TE and a DT right off the bat. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Pats7393's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Looks like Jace Amaro will be declaring for the draft, any chance he makes it to the Pats?

[/QUOTE]

Amaro has a chance to be the first TE off the board, I don't expect him to be available when NE selects.  

[/QUOTE]

just went through a few mocks out there and a few had the top 3 TEs gone by pick 25 a couple of mocks, all three in the top 20.  I don't see that happening but looking like he's not going to be there, not even close.  What you guys been talking in regards to Allen Robinson?  I have lots of catching up to do lol

[/QUOTE]

I'm also not a big ASJ fan in Rd 1... not sure I want him at all to be honest, though at some point the value could be right... would prefer a Day 2 selection of CJ or Arthur Lynch etc.

I'm a huge Allen Robinson guy... love that he has (2) years in a Patriot-esque offense under B.O. and has been extremely productive in it.  Very good size/speed combo... not a burner, but tempo's his routes well and can seperate effectivetly... also has very good body control and run after the catch ability.  

[/QUOTE]

Knew of Robinson but haven't really had a chance to watch much of him.  Just knew he was doing well at PS.  More I read and see of him more I like this kid and as you mention he's familiar with the system and also to some extent the patriot way.  if I'm not mistaken he has a late 1 early 2 grade?

I don't think the Pats draft another WR at least early but wouldn't mind this kid. 

on the TE side, if the Pats can't get Amaro who's the dual threat I see them picking one in the 3rd another later rounds or udfa.  

What's the word on the dumb.. Colt Lyerla?  well he might not even be a free man to be in the draft and after the hernandez thing I don't see a team take a gamble on him.  what a waste of talent

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

The guy I'll be looking at is Jon Dowling, Western Kentucky in the combine. I love tall Safties. 6. Against SEC teams 3 INT's, 3 Pass break-ups, 1 FF, 23 tackles.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

Please excuse me for bragging for a minute. I accidentally stumbled upon this as I was looking for a post from a while back. I don't get a lot of predictions right on this prospects. This was long ago, I totally forgot I wrote it.

I wrote this right after FSU played Pittsburgh in week 1.

Not relevant for 2014 draft: FSU QB Winston will be in the discussion for 2015 #1 overall pick and the 2013-14 Heisman. A rFr, he made quarterbacking look really easy vs. Pitt. Finished the first half with a 17/18 completion rate. My only criticism of him is he sometimes throws on his back foot. On the other hand, even when throwing on his back foot, he throws long and accurate. The kid is 6’4”, 230 lbs, scrambles when needed and can throw well on the run.

http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/2014-patriots-draft-thread/100/6790538?page=3

I also wrote about Kelvin Benjamin.

When I wrote it, I assumed Mariota, Hundley, Manziel, Bridgewater and Boyd were declaring for the draft. It might be tough for Winston to be the #1 pick in 2015, if Mariota or Hundley has a good 2014 season.

[/QUOTE]

Nice job, bruh!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

Hey PE,

Love the detail, below are my thoughts:

Ok pulled together my top 3 per round and here's my thinking:

Day 1 - I'm looking for the beasties in the two biggest positions of need right now, DT and TE. Even though I think Wilfork and Kelly will be back both will be coming back from lower body injures a year old. That says to me you need to have a starting caliber player ready to be plugged in. I like Siliga as an early down sub and maybe Jones or Vellano as a sub rusher but we still have no clue if Armstead can play. I'd like to rebuild the anchor spot and get ready for Wilfork to leave this draft if possible.

I too am hoping they add some fatties up front on either side of the ball.

1st round:

Ra'Shede Hageman DT - Minn - 6'6" 311lbs

I know MB has cooled off on Hageman but I still see an all around DL who is quick enough to play 34 DE and 43 DT. If he adds some consistency he has the ability to dominate behind the line and has shown ability to drop back into coverage. The key word that BB loves is versatile and that describes Hageman to a T

My biggest issue with Hageman is his inconsistency… I understand that he’s relatively new to the position, but I just don’t understand how he can look so dominant on one play, the get handled relatively easy 1 on 1 by an OG on the next.  Kid is immensely talented with elite measurables and to be honest, I wouldn’t mind it at all if BB drafted him in Rd 1... he’s still on my board as a Rd 1-2 kid.

Jace Armaro TE - TT - 6'5" 260

I see TEs going the RB route in the draft. Lots of hype but maybe only two TE's will be taken in the 1st so there is a shot at Armaro making to the mid 20-late 20 range which should be good enough for the Pats to get him if they want him. Natural pass catcher with sneaky speed and good route running for a TE. Needs to work on blocking a bit but certainly ahead of most TE's coming out of college. He's an all around TE much like Gronk.

Would be a huge get, I just don’t think he’s available when they’re on the clock… unless they trade up.

Ego Ferguson DT - LSU - 6'3" 309 

If declaring Ferguson could be the sleeper of the first. He's got good power for his size with surprising great burst on the line. His quickness has let him get into the backfield on more occassions than not. I've also seen him improve his hands greatly over the last year and develop a nice pass rushing move over to bull rush. I actually think he's a better DT with a higher ceiling than his teammate Johnson who's a first round grade.

Tuitt would be an obvious choice in the 1st but I think he'll earn his draft stock back at the combine and rise into the teens out of reach for the Pats.

I too like Ferguson in this range, or at least in the Top 40 or so… big athletic kid with some power.

I also think Tuitt is a relative no-brainer if available, though I agree that he won’t be.

Day 2 - Here I'm still looking line but also opening up to DBs and WRs

I think ILB/DE/OLB are in the discussion as well… interesting to see what will happen with Spikes.  I hope he returns.

2nd round:

Zack Martin OT/OG - ND - 6'4" 304

I like Martin a lot who has excellent vision for picking up blitzers. If he was a bit bigger he'd be a teen pick at T but his size might scare a couple teams off. However, I want him to take a Mankins approach. I see him as a future LG who could play T in a pinch. If Vollmer isn't long for the Pats he can take over at RT and push Cannon inside or he can play G inside too. He might not make it to the middle of the 2nd round though as some team might take a shot on him in the top 50.

Might be a bit of a homer with this one, but I haven’t seen a more consistent player in this class.   All he does is pitch shutouts against the opposing teams best lineman… week in and week out.  I think he could be Matt Light or a stud OG… start at either T or G position from Day 1.  I think he’s a legit option for them in Rd 1.

C.J. Fiedorowicz TE - Iowa - 6'7" 265

There is not much I don't like about the kid. He's a jack of all trades but a master of known. An effective receiver but won't blow you away with speed or route running. An effective blocker but don't expect him to get off more than 1 or 2 blocks. He's a upgrade Hooman who has potential to be a poormans Gronk.

Love CJ or Arthur at any point on Day 2.

David Yankey OT/G - Stanford - 6'5" 311

Yankey is a tectical blocker. He might not blow you away with athletism but he will control you at the line. Able to shift from T to G if he can add a little weight without losing foot speed he'd make for a good RT. He is better as a zone blocker but switches well between run blocking and pass blocking.

Kid can maul, good option here as well… another kid that will garner Top 40/Rd 1 consideration.

3rd round:

Antone Exum CB/S - Vir T - 6'1" 225

Exum has played well as both a S and CB while at Vir Tech. If not for injury concerns he'd be a early 2nd late 1st round consideration much like Meriweather was. A bit slow to play outside CB he can in a pinch but given his frame I see him as a large FS or SS. At 225lbs and over 6'1" he would have little issue covering TE's out of the backfield on moving up to the box and stuffing a run. I know most are looking for a LB who can convert to SS (as I still am too) but I wouldn't be shocked to see BB go for a SS sized CB and have him play more a FS role next to McCourty who can move up to the box.

I think Exum is an absolute steal in this range… injuries have robbed him of his season, but he’s a big athletic kid that can run, cover and provide versatility… I’m a huge fan.

Brandon Coleman WR - Rutgers - 6'6" 220

I know we have some WRs already and some more via IR last year but it's hard for me to say no to someone with that size and athletic ability. He's a DC's mismatch nightmare in the RZ as with his quick feet LB's and S's should have a hard time covering him and no CB will climb a ladder higher than him. Considering or RZ issues this year having a big RZ WR specialist might be the way to go. Imagine a receiver formation of Dobson, Gronk, Feid and Coleman with Vereen or Ridley in the backfield and make the other team cry looking up.

Another kid that’d be a steal in this range… really like his combo of burst, athleticism and size… hands can be a bit inconsistent though. 

Will Sutton DT/DE - Ari - 6'1" 295

Sutton has fallen a long way after adding weight. If he was smart he'd drop 10lbs by the combine and get his speed back up. The weight he gained to become a DT has really hurt him but the dominant pass rush potential is still there. Drop a little weight and he can become a heavy DE or a quick rushing smaller DT. Just for potential he's worth a look

I wouldn’t expect Sutton to be available here… think he’ll be gobble up sooner by a team that’s looking for an athletic 3-tech… though as you mention, he might be better off shedding a few and kicking out to TE… he was manhandled by Yankey.

Day 3 -

4th round:

Daniel McCullers NT - Tenn - 6-8 360

The only one to fall further than Sutton on the DL might be McCullers. He had a very disappointing year but you just can't teach his size. He learns how to better leverage his body and this kid can be scary. There is no way you are moving him off the line even if you want to.

This is the range where I’d be interested in McCullers.

Aundrey Walker G - USC - 6'6" 300

Walker was an average T when he switched to G. After the switch it suddenly clicked and he took off. With another year he could get into day 2 so the Pats could be wise to invest early and get in the ground floor if Walker declares.

Joe Dun Duncan TE - Dixie State - 6'3" 267

My first Div II sleeper has 3 names, how can you beat that? Well if that wasn't enough for you how about being invited to the senior bowl as a Div II TE? From what I've seen he is that good. A bit on the slower side he somehow managers to put up numbers comparable to WRs. He has great ability to box out defenders and somehow just finds open space. He is also a bulldozer once the ball is in his hands.

5th round:

Tyler Larsen C - Utah S - 6'4" 312

Larsen had a solid overall year and is a better run blocker than a pass blocker but he is someone Scar can work well with. It will be interesting to see how he performs in the east-west shrine game

Keith McGill CB - Utah - 6'3" 205

McGill missed all of 12' but rebounded well in 13'. He's a bit raw but has tremendous speed for his size with a knack to cover taller outside receivers. Needs to use his big body more often and be more agressive at the line (I fear his 12' injury made him tenative to hit) he has a lot of upside because of athletic ability. Whether he can put it all together is a question mark but that's why I have him pegged in the 5th.

Solid upside play here… might get some looks toward the end of Day 2.  Nebraska’s Stanley Jean-Baptiste is another jumbo DB to take a look at.

Denicos Allen LB/S - Mich S - 5'11" 225

Everyone looking for the LB/S hybrid might want to check Allen out. He might not have great height but he's built like a truck and hits hard. He had a massive year in 11' with 11 sacks and good in pursuit. His numbers dropped off a little but he still averaged 5.5 sacks his final 2 years with dbl digit TFLs. He is good in pursuit with sub 4.5 speed and is smart enough to sniff out screens and flat passes. He's a person to keep an eye on as a possible late round S convert

Kid can definitely ball, love the way MSU defenders play the game… fast, physical and aggressive.

6th Round

Gabe Ikard C/G - Ok - 6'3" 303

I liked Gabe last year and this year he hasn't done anything to change that this year. He held his own against Nix and did well in the bowl game too. He is a bit smaller but has potential to be a zone blocking C, similar to almost every Pats C before.

Caraun Reid DT - Princeton - 6'2" 305

Reid was impressive at Princeton. So impressive he earned a spot in the senior bowl. He's very slow for a DT but holds his own at the line and managers to squeeze through open spots. I'd like to see what he can do at the senior bowl but might make a Pyror type of player in the late rounds.

Might get looks in the 4th, but a solid value here.

Chris Davis CB - Auburn - 5'11" 200

Davis is a sleeper CB with 4.4 flat speed. Good in coverage with 13 pass broken up, he is no ball hawk though. His main asset is his return ability scoring a 109yrd kickoff for a TD last year. Though he's have trouble breaking the line up over Ryan or Dennard if the feel Arrington's contract is to heavy after next year Davis is a guy who could step in as a slot CB while providing BB's favorite position for non starters STs ability as both a return man and a gunner

Certainly looks the part… thick, muscular kid with good speed and upside.

7th round:

Colt Lyerl.......... just kidding. I wouldn't touch Lyerla if Hernandez put a gun to my head. Ok maybe I would, esp if he says get in the car.

I’m with you… I’ve taken some heat for this, but I want no part of this piece of shart , at any point in the draft.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

another sleeper,  http://www.newerascouting.com/2014/01/07/2014-nfl-draft-west-texas-am-defensive-end-ethan-westbrooks/

2014 NFL Draft: West Texas A&M Defensive End Ethan Westbrooks 0 sbischoff  January 07, 2014 InterviewsNFL DraftUncategorized 2014 NFL Draft: West Texas A&M Defensive End Ethan Westbrooks

Ethan Westbrooks is a player who has dominated the opposition for the West Texas A&M football team for the past two years. He lines up as a defensive end but is known for wreaking havoc in the opposing backfield. His statistics are staggering, but they don’t tell the full story.

At 6’3” and 260 pounds, he has been too much to handle for offensive linemen. In 2012 he registered 28 tackles for loss and 19.5 sacks. He also broke up two passes and forced three fumbles. As a senior in 2013, he had 19.5 tackles for loss and seven sacks to go along with five passes defended and a forced fumble.

Westbrooks will make an appearance at the 2014 East West Shrine Game, and he is a player that is going to be very intriguing to watch during the practice sessions. I had the chance to speak to him after his senior season about his experience in college and his thoughts moving forward.

The first thing I wanted to know was what kind of player he was.

“I’m definitely somebody that on the field, I do my best to not only encourage others by the way that I play. I feel our defense is on the low, or even if I need to pick it up, I try to be a person that either does something good to spark the defense or somebody on the defense. It starts at the defensive line, we’re the first line of defense so, it’s on us to get the defense going, when the linebackers and the DB’s see  that our energy is high then their energy gets high and then it’s just a whole defense that’s just riding high on energy and we are moving. I bring a shutdown mentality, to get after the quarterback.”

“I definitely feel like there’s a sense of urgency that I’ll be able get off the ball faster than any offensive lineman and I do take that personal especially when I do get blocked whether I’m playing in the inside like a nose tackle or as a three-technique or where I’m on the outside. I get after it type of mentality like on a third down passing play I definitely have this mindset that I’m going to get off faster than any lineman and get to the quarterback. I’m really trying to get to the quarterback with most violent intentions within the rules of football. It’s like a game between me and the offensive line.  I try to figure out what they’re going to do and I feel like they really can’t do anything to stop me. I pretty much react off of what they give me.”

I mentioned that it sounded more like he was a technician than a guy who was simply throwing guys around. He said:

“I try not to over think it but definitely, like the first couple of series, I like to see what the offensive lineman gives and hopefully they have a strong point because I feel like if I can just push this dude around then I’m pretty much licking my chops ’cause I know that he can’t really do anything to stop me.”

We talked about his versatility and the ability for his coach to move him inside. He talked a little about the things he looked for that would give him an edge. It shows how much he is thinking about getting into the opposition’s backfield to stop run plays before they got started.

“I’ve never played over the center in college before but being able to just see as soon as he snapped the ball, I felt like there was no chance for him because as soon as he moved I was by him. I was just trying to pick out little things that would give it away, whether it was bending his knees or he would shake the ball a little bit right before he snapped it. I felt like I had all the advantage over him, the only thing he could do I felt was like cut me and even then, I tried to get used when he would cut me and it was just, being that close to the ball put me in a position to be able to make plays, but I definitely felt like I was closer to the ball so it was way easier to make plays like that.”

I asked what his favorite memory as a college football player was.

“The happiest is getting to the playoffs and the semifinals in 2012 playing at West Texas A&M.  It was probably the best I’ve ever done or been a part of as a team. I mean, just all the traveling and spending extra time with the teammates. We had fun on the road, whether it was a four-hour flight or a six hour drive, it was just the fun and camaraderie that we had between teammates.”

I asked what he hoped to show at the Shrine Game.

“I’m definitely hoping to show that I’ve improved on run defense, being a defensive end against the run. More discipline as far as not jumping off side, showing better hands and more fundamentals with my hands.” He mentioned that he was looking for general improvements across the board.

We talked about his thoughts on the NFL and what that would mean to him. He mentioned that he wanted the fans of the NFL team that drafts him to know they were getting a “very hungry player that wants to do everything within the team to help the organization as a whole. I want to win and to be a supportive teammate.”

I ended by asking him what football meant to him. He said:

“Football to me it’s life and by that I mean, I played football with Pop Warner in my seventh grade year in junior high and even before then I watched it on TV and that’s what I’ve been wanting to do since I was little was play football in the NFL. I’m psyched that I get an opportunity and chance to do that, it just excites me beyond measure. To me football is just one of those things you love it, I mean, you love it until the game is through with you and that’s all I’m really trying to do is play until the game tells me it doesn’t need me anymore. To me, football is my first love, it’s everything.”

Ethan Westbrooks is one of those physically imposing defensive linemen with violent hands, a truly impressive burst and the ability to penetrate gaps to stop the run while stalking the quarterback at the same time. He is a ferocious football player and the kind of player that I want to see.

To say he is an exciting prospect is an understatement, and it is going to be great to see him up close in Tampa for the 2014 East West Shrine Game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Looks like Jace Amaro will be declaring for the draft, any chance he makes it to the Pats?

Amaro has a chance to be the first TE off the board, I don't expect him to be available when NE selects.  

[/QUOTE]

just went through a few mocks out there and a few had the top 3 TEs gone by pick 25 a couple of mocks, all three in the top 20.  I don't see that happening but looking like he's not going to be there, not even close.  What you guys been talking in regards to Allen Robinson?  I have lots of catching up to do lol

[/QUOTE]

I'm also not a big ASJ fan in Rd 1... not sure I want him at all to be honest, though at some point the value could be right... would prefer a Day 2 selection of CJ or Arthur Lynch etc.

I'm a huge Allen Robinson guy... love that he has (2) years in a Patriot-esque offense under B.O. and has been extremely productive in it.  Very good size/speed combo... not a burner, but tempo's his routes well and can seperate effectivetly... also has very good body control and run after the catch ability.  

[/QUOTE]

Knew of Robinson but haven't really had a chance to watch much of him.  Just knew he was doing well at PS.  More I read and see of him more I like this kid and as you mention he's familiar with the system and also to some extent the patriot way.  if I'm not mistaken he has a late 1 early 2 grade?

I don't think the Pats draft another WR at least early but wouldn't mind this kid. 

on the TE side, if the Pats can't get Amaro who's the dual threat I see them picking one in the 3rd another later rounds or udfa.  

What's the word on the dumb.. Colt Lyerla?  well he might not even be a free man to be in the draft and after the hernandez thing I don't see a team take a gamble on him.  what a waste of talent

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Robinson is consistently listed as a Top 35 or so player... on tape, I agree... def Rd 1 caliber WR.

I want no part of Lyerla.  Some things have been made public, but I also follow ND recruiting and they're are plenty of people that are plugged into the recruiting seen in general and there was a ton of buzz in recruiting circles dating back to his HS days that the kid has some serious problems.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Wide receiver rankings by NEPD, any suprises?

2014 NFL Draft: Wide Receiver Rankings (Oliver Thomas)  

Florida State’s Kelvin Benjamin has a rare combination of size and speed. And in turn, he has the attention of NFL scouting departments. (USA Today Sports Images)

NEPD Editor: Oliver Thomas

January is a month of divergence for the NFL. Eight teams are left in the Super Bowl hunt; 24 others have cleared out lockers and dispersed for the offseason. But before long, all 32 will be back in the same lane, preparing for the 2014 NFL draft.

It’s a process of personnel evaluation from now through May. There will be all-star games, combines and pro days to gauge a player’s value in the same setting as their peers. Yet in actuality, 90 percent of their value has already been determined.

It’s been determined by the game film and the eyes viewing it.

Now big boards and positional rankings must be taken with a grain of salt. It ultimately comes down to preference, need, and fit.

One area where that rings especially true is at wide receiver.

Over the last three drafts, 90 receivers have been selected by NFL teams – including the Cleveland Browns’ compensatory pick of Josh Gordon in 2012. Of those 90, 36 were chosen within the first three rounds, netting an average of 12 annually.

That trend is expected to continue this spring.

This year’s class of predominantly junior wideouts is considered or “top-heavy” or “deep,” depending on who you talk to. Although, it may be best described as “wide open.” There is size, there is athleticism, there is speed, there is fundamental skill, there is potential – it’s contingent upon which traits a particular team or eye is looking for.

And with that at the forefront, here is one eye’s view on the top dozen receiving prospects – including one playing tonight in the BCS Championship game.

1. Sammy Watkins, Junior, Clemson – 6’1″, 205 Pounds

A fast, aggressive and strong open-field threat with the footwork and field awareness to maneuver the sideline on in, Sammy Watkins runs with purpose and unheralded power. Those attributes explain, at least in part, his penchant for turning short passes from quarterback Tajh Boyd into big gains. And while it’s important not to oversell a player comparison, he’s provides glimpses of Percy Harvin-like utilization with Cordarrelle Patterson-like athleticism. There is reason to believe he will be a No. 1.

2. Mike Evans, Redshirt Sophomore, Texas A&M – 6’5″, 225 Pounds

A big, physical target who makes 50-50 plays without necessarily shedding coverage, Mike Evans knows how to shield and box out at the catch point. As he tucks the ball away, his leg drive and power can generate yards through tackles. And with quarterback trust – something he secured with Johnny Manziel – he can be a second-level security blanket and red-zone nightmare in the right offense. Even with some stiffness in his running, the former standout basketball player has displayed the commanding hands and upper body to out-muscle cornerbacks post-release. He has some Vincent Jackson and Alshon Jeffery to his game.

3. Marqise Lee, Junior, Southern California – 6’0″, 195 Pounds

USC’s Marqise Lee has average height and a thin frame, but he’s been a smooth, gliding, agile play-maker for the Trojans. Even with an injury-hampered, underwhelming 2013 – similar to teammate Robert Woods’ 2012 – Lee still managed to be a game-breaker. He’s tough, he sees the field well, and he runs his routes with tremendous control. He has had issues with drops in the past; however, his build, as well as the way in which he excels is similar to that of Jeremy Maclin. Lee may no longer be at the top of the receiving board, but it would be an oversight to count him out as a first-round talent.

4. Odell Beckham Jr., Junior, Louisiana State – 5’11″, 193 Pounds

Son of a former LSU running back and an LSU track star, Odell Beckham Jr. is a compact, elusive player built to impact that game in multiple facets. He stands out as a receiver and returner with DeSean Jackson-esque flashes, but he has 15 pounds on the Philadelphia Eagle. That sturdiness is visible when he’s fighting for the football and breaking off the line. Yet as a pass-catcher, you’d like to see him use his hands more than body, and it remains to be seen whether he’ll be best suited for a slot or flanker role.

5. Allen Robinson, Junior, Penn State – 6’3″, 210 Pounds

Allen Robinson is a wiry, combative route-runner with good length, strong hands and shift to extend back to the ball or amass yards via ground. He was a rock for current Houston Texans head coach Bill O’Brien and the Penn State offense this season. He can play inside and reel in screens and slants for yards after catch; he can play outside and use his height to bend back to the ball. It may be high praise for a receiver who plays smaller than he looks, but Robinson’s offensive use and style shape him in an Antonio Brown mold.

6. Jordan Matthews, Senior, Vanderbilt – 6’3″, 205 Pounds

Often overlooked, Vanderbilt’s Jordan Matthews has an ideal “X” receiver build but is not restricted to that spot. In addition to the aesthetics, Matthews runs routes with fluidity and command of his positioning. The senior possesses strong hands and has some stylistic toe-tapping similarities to former Cal Bears Keenan Allen and Marvin Jones. His strides can cover ground after the catch, too. And while he may not light up the combine tests at Lucas Oil Stadium, he’s one of the most polished receivers in this class. He could be great value on Day 2.

7. Kelvin Benjamin, Redshirt Sophomore, Florida State  - 6’5″, 235 Pounds

Soon-to-be 23-year-old Kelvin Benjamin is only a redshirt sophomore. He doesn’t look like one; he looks like former Seminole Greg Carr but with far superior quickness. A big-bodied receiver who can threaten over the middle and vertically, Benjamin has uncommon speed for his size. He showcases great length in space and has the wingspan to secure jump balls, suggesting he could be more than a possession receiver. Now he may not have the most complete hands or footwork and he’s still putting it all together, but the way in which Benjamin uses his body and overpowers smaller corners reveals some Dwayne Bowe. Nonetheless, Benjamin is three inches taller and will be contrasted with the Aggies’ touted Mike Evans.

8. Brandin Cooks, Junior, Oregon State – 5’10″, 186 Pounds

Without the benefit of size, Oregon State’s Brandin Cooks makes big plays with home-run speed, quick twitch, decisive change of direction and determined pursuit. There’s something to be said for maintaining balance through cuts, taking precise route angles, as well as seeing the field ahead. Those are aspects of Cooks’ game that he shares with T.Y. Hilton, only he bounces around more than the Indianapolis Colt. Cooks projects as a slot receiver and will struggle to out-leap larger and stronger defenders, but he is a creative ball-carrier who can be a highlight in the return game, on the reverse, in the underneath or deep downfield.

9. Paul Richardson, Redshirt Junior, Colorado – 6’1″, 172 Pounds

Colorado’s Paul Richardson has a notably skinny build for his height. With that skinny build, though, he is quick through breaks and can test a defense’s safe coverage as his speed is often revered. Richardson can turn the corner on a wheel route and lose his man in the flat – a testament to his lateral agility and steady pattern-running. Yet while his athleticism allows him to separate and compete ball, he would benefit from some added strength for durability, blocking and push off the snap. In terms of build,  burst and role, Richardson carries some Johnny Knox qualities in his arsenal.

10. Jarvis Landry, Junior, Louisiana State – 6’0″, 195 Pounds

Jarvis Landry proved to be a trusted receiver for LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger over the last two years. And while he doesn’t have the same explosive skillset as his teammate Odell Beckham Jr., his coordination, glove-sized hands and improbable catches make him one of the most pro-ready receiving prospects. Helping out on special teams and as a blocker, Landry’s little nua make a difference. He’s not real rangy or rapid, and he is more a “Z” or inside receiver. But he is technically sound. Landry plays with the effectiveness and dependability a player like Donald Driver once exhibited.

11. Davante Adams, Redshirt Sophomore, Fresno State – 6’2″, 216 Pounds

A rugged receiver with impressive physical measurables and hands, secondaries must account for Davante Adams along the sideline and in the back of the end zone. He doesn’t carry blazing speed and was not required to diversify his route tree much for QB Derek Carr and the Bulldogs passing game. Furthermore, he’s a young talent with significant development still ahead of him, and he has met some defensive back constraint in the Western Athletic Conference. But despite his deficiencies, there lies towering upside with the strong-armed receiver. Adams was ultra-productive this season, and has some like-minded features of Michael Crabtree coming out of Texas Tech’s air-raid offense.

12. Brandon Coleman, Redshirt Junior, Rutgers – 6’5″, 220 Pounds

A long, imposing receiver with impressive build-up speed and a wide radius to catch the football, Brandon Coleman’s physical ceiling figures to be raised at the NFL combine. He is far from a finished product – as a long-strider and often body-catcher – yet if he makes improvements in those areas, he could bloom into a Malcom Floyd-type mismatch with time. Much like Floyd some eight years ago, Coleman is still learning how to use his frame to eclipse coverage. He will be drafted not for what he has been, but for what he could be.

Honorable Mentions: Washington’s Kasen Williams, Wisconsin’s Jared Abbrederis, Wyoming’s Robert Herron, Ole Miss’ Donte Moncrief and Missouri’s L’Damian Washington.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Good comments, did not write the article, except for the last comment. The author is focused on McKinney being great for just his elite athletic ability.  I don't agree,  what about football IQ?  You may be able to run and be very strong but if your at the wrong place at the wrong time on the field what good are you.  

Also, like MB said, need film to see what else he has done besides teh Rice game.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Did not notice that one-liner you snuck in at the end of the long article

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/01/ifo_ekpre-olomu_will_stay_at_o.html

1st round grade but staying in school. Darn!

[/QUOTE]

Darn indeed. I like the kid. He makes the tackle even after he is blocked. A big DB too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

Wide receiver rankings by NEPD, any suprises?

2014 NFL Draft: Wide Receiver Rankings (Oliver Thomas)  

Florida State’s Kelvin Benjamin has a rare combination of size and speed. And in turn, he has the attention of NFL scouting departments. (USA Today Sports Images)

NEPD Editor: Oliver Thomas

January is a month of divergence for the NFL. Eight teams are left in the Super Bowl hunt; 24 others have cleared out lockers and dispersed for the offseason. But before long, all 32 will be back in the same lane, preparing for the 2014 NFL draft.

It’s a process of personnel evaluation from now through May. There will be all-star games, combines and pro days to gauge a player’s value in the same setting as their peers. Yet in actuality, 90 percent of their value has already been determined.

It’s been determined by the game film and the eyes viewing it.

Now big boards and positional rankings must be taken with a grain of salt. It ultimately comes down to preference, need, and fit.

One area where that rings especially true is at wide receiver.

Over the last three drafts, 90 receivers have been selected by NFL teams – including the Cleveland Browns’ compensatory pick of Josh Gordon in 2012. Of those 90, 36 were chosen within the first three rounds, netting an average of 12 annually.

That trend is expected to continue this spring.

This year’s class of predominantly junior wideouts is considered or “top-heavy” or “deep,” depending on who you talk to. Although, it may be best described as “wide open.” There is size, there is athleticism, there is speed, there is fundamental skill, there is potential – it’s contingent upon which traits a particular team or eye is looking for.

And with that at the forefront, here is one eye’s view on the top dozen receiving prospects – including one playing tonight in the BCS Championship game.

1. Sammy Watkins, Junior, Clemson – 6’1″, 205 Pounds

A fast, aggressive and strong open-field threat with the footwork and field awareness to maneuver the sideline on in, Sammy Watkins runs with purpose and unheralded power. Those attributes explain, at least in part, his penchant for turning short passes from quarterback Tajh Boyd into big gains. And while it’s important not to oversell a player comparison, he’s provides glimpses of Percy Harvin-like utilization with Cordarrelle Patterson-like athleticism. There is reason to believe he will be a No. 1.

2. Mike Evans, Redshirt Sophomore, Texas A&M – 6’5″, 225 Pounds

A big, physical target who makes 50-50 plays without necessarily shedding coverage, Mike Evans knows how to shield and box out at the catch point. As he tucks the ball away, his leg drive and power can generate yards through tackles. And with quarterback trust – something he secured with Johnny Manziel – he can be a second-level security blanket and red-zone nightmare in the right offense. Even with some stiffness in his running, the former standout basketball player has displayed the commanding hands and upper body to out-muscle cornerbacks post-release. He has some Vincent Jackson and Alshon Jeffery to his game.

3. Marqise Lee, Junior, Southern California – 6’0″, 195 Pounds

USC’s Marqise Lee has average height and a thin frame, but he’s been a smooth, gliding, agile play-maker for the Trojans. Even with an injury-hampered, underwhelming 2013 – similar to teammate Robert Woods’ 2012 – Lee still managed to be a game-breaker. He’s tough, he sees the field well, and he runs his routes with tremendous control. He has had issues with drops in the past; however, his build, as well as the way in which he excels is similar to that of Jeremy Maclin. Lee may no longer be at the top of the receiving board, but it would be an oversight to count him out as a first-round talent.

4. Odell Beckham Jr., Junior, Louisiana State – 5’11″, 193 Pounds

Son of a former LSU running back and an LSU track star, Odell Beckham Jr. is a compact, elusive player built to impact that game in multiple facets. He stands out as a receiver and returner with DeSean Jackson-esque flashes, but he has 15 pounds on the Philadelphia Eagle. That sturdiness is visible when he’s fighting for the football and breaking off the line. Yet as a pass-catcher, you’d like to see him use his hands more than body, and it remains to be seen whether he’ll be best suited for a slot or flanker role.

5. Allen Robinson, Junior, Penn State – 6’3″, 210 Pounds

Allen Robinson is a wiry, combative route-runner with good length, strong hands and shift to extend back to the ball or amass yards via ground. He was a rock for current Houston Texans head coach Bill O’Brien and the Penn State offense this season. He can play inside and reel in screens and slants for yards after catch; he can play outside and use his height to bend back to the ball. It may be high praise for a receiver who plays smaller than he looks, but Robinson’s offensive use and style shape him in an Antonio Brown mold.

6. Jordan Matthews, Senior, Vanderbilt – 6’3″, 205 Pounds

Often overlooked, Vanderbilt’s Jordan Matthews has an ideal “X” receiver build but is not restricted to that spot. In addition to the aesthetics, Matthews runs routes with fluidity and command of his positioning. The senior possesses strong hands and has some stylistic toe-tapping similarities to former Cal Bears Keenan Allen and Marvin Jones. His strides can cover ground after the catch, too. And while he may not light up the combine tests at Lucas Oil Stadium, he’s one of the most polished receivers in this class. He could be great value on Day 2.

7. Kelvin Benjamin, Redshirt Sophomore, Florida State  - 6’5″, 235 Pounds

Soon-to-be 23-year-old Kelvin Benjamin is only a redshirt sophomore. He doesn’t look like one; he looks like former Seminole Greg Carr but with far superior quickness. A big-bodied receiver who can threaten over the middle and vertically, Benjamin has uncommon speed for his size. He showcases great length in space and has the wingspan to secure jump balls, suggesting he could be more than a possession receiver. Now he may not have the most complete hands or footwork and he’s still putting it all together, but the way in which Benjamin uses his body and overpowers smaller corners reveals some Dwayne Bowe. Nonetheless, Benjamin is three inches taller and will be contrasted with the Aggies’ touted Mike Evans.

8. Brandin Cooks, Junior, Oregon State – 5’10″, 186 Pounds

Without the benefit of size, Oregon State’s Brandin Cooks makes big plays with home-run speed, quick twitch, decisive change of direction and determined pursuit. There’s something to be said for maintaining balance through cuts, taking precise route angles, as well as seeing the field ahead. Those are aspects of Cooks’ game that he shares with T.Y. Hilton, only he bounces around more than the Indianapolis Colt. Cooks projects as a slot receiver and will struggle to out-leap larger and stronger defenders, but he is a creative ball-carrier who can be a highlight in the return game, on the reverse, in the underneath or deep downfield.

9. Paul Richardson, Redshirt Junior, Colorado – 6’1″, 172 Pounds

Colorado’s Paul Richardson has a notably skinny build for his height. With that skinny build, though, he is quick through breaks and can test a defense’s safe coverage as his speed is often revered. Richardson can turn the corner on a wheel route and lose his man in the flat – a testament to his lateral agility and steady pattern-running. Yet while his athleticism allows him to separate and compete ball, he would benefit from some added strength for durability, blocking and push off the snap. In terms of build,  burst and role, Richardson carries some Johnny Knox qualities in his arsenal.

10. Jarvis Landry, Junior, Louisiana State – 6’0″, 195 Pounds

Jarvis Landry proved to be a trusted receiver for LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger over the last two years. And while he doesn’t have the same explosive skillset as his teammate Odell Beckham Jr., his coordination, glove-sized hands and improbable catches make him one of the most pro-ready receiving prospects. Helping out on special teams and as a blocker, Landry’s little nua make a difference. He’s not real rangy or rapid, and he is more a “Z” or inside receiver. But he is technically sound. Landry plays with the effectiveness and dependability a player like Donald Driver once exhibited.

11. Davante Adams, Redshirt Sophomore, Fresno State – 6’2″, 216 Pounds

A rugged receiver with impressive physical measurables and hands, secondaries must account for Davante Adams along the sideline and in the back of the end zone. He doesn’t carry blazing speed and was not required to diversify his route tree much for QB Derek Carr and the Bulldogs passing game. Furthermore, he’s a young talent with significant development still ahead of him, and he has met some defensive back constraint in the Western Athletic Conference. But despite his deficiencies, there lies towering upside with the strong-armed receiver. Adams was ultra-productive this season, and has some like-minded features of Michael Crabtree coming out of Texas Tech’s air-raid offense.

12. Brandon Coleman, Redshirt Junior, Rutgers – 6’5″, 220 Pounds

A long, imposing receiver with impressive build-up speed and a wide radius to catch the football, Brandon Coleman’s physical ceiling figures to be raised at the NFL combine. He is far from a finished product – as a long-strider and often body-catcher – yet if he makes improvements in those areas, he could bloom into a Malcom Floyd-type mismatch with time. Much like Floyd some eight years ago, Coleman is still learning how to use his frame to eclipse coverage. He will be drafted not for what he has been, but for what he could be.

Honorable Mentions: Washington’s Kasen Williams, Wisconsin’s Jared Abbrederis, Wyoming’s Robert Herron, Ole Miss’ Donte Moncrief and Missouri’s L’Damian Washington.

[/QUOTE]

Funny... in my hour trek to the office this morning, they were talking about TY and I was thinking to myself... "who has a similar skill set in this draft"?   "Cooks seems to, haha."

That's also the highest that I've seen Beckham.  I like him, and he has more explosiveness, but prefer Landry because I think his hands are better.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Anybody have any suggestions on scouting sites?  I use the usual CBS, Walter, Huddle Report, etc... but haven't been able to find many or any with up to date info?  Heck, even NE Patriots Draft is behind in their scouting reports.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

ASJ seems like he's either going to be pyrite or pure gold. Not sure which right now as at times he seems beyond dominate and others like he isn't trying from down to down. His game hasn't really developed as expected since his 11' year so the question is, has he already reached his ceiling?

Are you looking at O'Leary as more of a pass catching TE? He seems a bit undersized to me to be blocking on the line.

Where did you hear about OB wanting Mallett? That would make sense if he really wanted Clowney but short of Clowney I can't see him not taking a QB with that first. I would love to see it happen though. That could give us a TE and a DT right off the bat. 

[/QUOTE]

On O'Leary:

I do wonder if he is too small to play inline in the NFL. The way I see it, he could, and offen be effective. He just won't be as dominant/intimidating at the line as someone like Gronk. More improtantly perhaps, he's not a TE you will want to put in there for a key down or an end zone play.

I don't believe in a "pass catching" TE. For what such a role brings, if he's not blocking at the line, I think I'd rather have a tall recevier who can make big plays up and down the field and at the end zone. Benjamin last night showed the value of such a player.

Besides, O'Leary's numbers suggest he is not a pass catching TE.

On OB wanting Mallett:

I really do not see the wisdom of taking Mallett because he wants Clowney. I can see wisdom of not taking Bridgewater in the first becasue OB thinks Teddy is not good.

I think you take the best QB when given the chance. While a good pass rusher is important, it is never as important as a good QB, especially in this pass-centric era, when you always have to score 30+ points. The QB impacts every single offensive play. Even a good DE makes no impact on a significant percent of defensive snaps.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

Anybody have any suggestions on scouting sites?  I use the usual CBS, Walter, Huddle Report, etc... but haven't been able to find many or any with up to date info?  Heck, even NE Patriots Draft is behind in their scouting reports.

[/QUOTE]

It has been tough. I have been digging.  New Era Scouting seems to focus on these sleeper/ obscure players. The SidelineView has some.  BuffaloBillsdraft has some information also on prospects.  I think we should see more soon.  I wonder with the draft being in May if reports are not coming as soon as usual.

http://draftfalcons.com/scouting-reports/   they don't have a lot yet but I like their format.

If I find any other sites I will let you know.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I use...

CBS, mainly. It's the only site that does not get too focused on mock drafts. I like the prospect list and rankings by position - the msot comprehensive. I do not always agree with their grade of every prospect, but the lists are a good start for getting names of propects whose games I want to watch.

All other sites are mock-centric.

Walter is my second choice. Mock centric, but the only one I found that goes three rounds deep. They also have mocks already for 2015, 2016. That's where I get a list of names to watch at the start of the season.

Bleacherreport mocks also go deep (up to 3 rounds), but I am not sure they do any this early. A few weeks before the draft, they also have prospect rankings, that go about five deep in each position.

I used to compare mocks across a lot of sites. Eventually, I found that the assessments are too similar, that I started suspecting many of sites publishing draft info don't watch the games. They just copy each others' reviews. Or they look at the same 5-minute highlight youtube. Can't see the prospects' bad plays. Particularly important if you want to see how likely a CB will commit a PI (bad use of hands or late to look back) or get beaten in the NFL, or how an LT will get beaten in the NFL.

Similar assessments are okay for the top 10 because it's easy to see who the very best players are. It's also easy to see the ones who don't have a future in the NFL. The players who fall outside of the top 10 are harder to compare and assess. The farther from the top, the more varied assessments should be.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It has been tough. I have been digging.  New Era Scouting seems to focus on these sleeper/ obscure players. The SidelineView has some.  BuffaloBillsdraft has some information also on prospects.  I think we should see more soon.  I wonder with the draft being in May if reports are not coming as soon as usual.

http://draftfalcons.com/scouting-reports/   they don't have a lot yet but I like their format.

If I find any other sites I will let you know.

[/QUOTE]

I actually like that. I don't know if I will agree with every one of their reports, but just getting some names helps avoid randomly watching games.

Sections
Shortcuts