***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I also was finally able to get a look at WKU S Jonathan Dowling... like his length, good speed/size combo, good effort in pursuit and looks like a solid open field tackler.

I remember a few years back you liked Chancellor too. That was a good call, you need height and smarts at Safety. What was he, like a 6th Rounder?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

I also was finally able to get a look at WKU S Jonathan Dowling... like his length, good speed/size combo, good effort in pursuit and looks like a solid open field tackler.

[/QUOTE

I remember a few years back you liked Chancellor too. That was a good call, you need height and smarts at Safety. What was he, like a 6th Rounder?

I'll have to give credit on Chancellor to pats7393, if I remember correctly, he was the biggest proponent of drafting him.  Now there are questions about his usage of PED's, but that's solid value for a 5th round pick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

MB is it that time where the Patriots try and find the replacements for two of the most important spots on the team? I mean DT and QB, I've been reading that Hageman is a probable fit in the first round for New England, and that would solve one spot, but not the QB. Is Mallett the guy or is he trade bait? Here's a name or two to watch in the upcoming draft at the QB position: Fales SJS, Jordan Lynch NIU, and from out of nowheres comes Dustin Vaughn WTS. Which of these three would you like to groom as TB's eventual replacement in the event they trade Ryan Mallett? I know you have the skinny on every player so give me your best eval of these three guys, thnx.

I think DT is a definite need... there's some decent depth with the return of VW/Kelly, but there's also plenty of room to upgrade the talent up front and Hageman in Rd 1 makes a ton of sense.  I also really like PSU's Daquan Jones, South Carolina's Kelcy Quarles and LSU's Ego Ferguson at some point in Rd 2.  FSU's Timmy Jernigan is a bit undersized by general BB standards (6-2 298), but is very good vs. the run and could also be under consideration at some point within the Top 40 or so.

As for the QB's mentioned, David Fales will cost you the most (should be a Day 2 pick), but is also the most talented of the (3).  Arm is just adequate, but he's accurate, competitive and has some mobility.  I personally don't think Jordan Lynch will be a QB in the NFL for long.

EIU's Jimmy Garoppolo is another hot name and riser and could be an option at some point on Day 2, as could Alabama's AJ McCarron.

For other kids that I like on Day 3, I'm looking at UNC's Bryn Renner, Ball State's Keith Wenning and Ohio State's Kenny Guiton.  I also look forward to checking out some Vaughan tape.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24413534/nfl-draft-five-standouts-from-nflpa-collegiate-bowl

Thanks, I'm gonna see if I can find more info on Wozniak... the size is definitely there.

UPDATE: His bio said he had 21 starts over the last (2) years, so I figured he was primarilty a blocking TE, so I checked out a few of Melvin Gordon's games... the size is there, but he's more of a wall off blocker at this point... doesn't show a ton of power at the point, but can generally stay in front of his man.  He can over-extend and narrow us his base on occasion, but generally plays with a good base.

In a related note, Melvin Gordon is an absolute stud with the ball in his hands... reminds me of a thicker and maybe slightly slower Jamaal Charles.

Gordon will be back for another year, too bad. I would let Blount walk and reload, Gordon would have been a good choice. On Wozniak, I think NE needs to look at complete TEs that can block, pass, run.

Yeah, that was a big keep for Wisconsin... Gordon and Soph Corey Clement are gonna be a handfull for teams next season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

1. TE
    2. Big Physical WR with RAC ability
    3. DT
    4. MLB
    5. Interior OL

They should definitely have their pick from a solid group of TE/WR/DT/OL at the back end of Rd 1.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

MB, even if we sign Talib do we go after a CB in the first four rounds? Or a S/CB?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

MB, even if we sign Talib do we go after a CB in the first four rounds? Or a S/CB?

If they sign Talib, I don't see CB in Rd 1, but S (Calvin Pryor) is a possibility.  If Talib doesn't return, CB definitely jumps up in the pecking order, IMO.  Possible targets would be Dennard, Gilbert, Roby, Fuller, Roberson or maybe LaMarcus Joyner as a CB/S hybrid at some point in Rd 1 or 2.  Personally, I don't expect either Dennard or Gilbert to be available to them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

If they sign Talib, I don't see CB in Rd 1, but S (Calvin Pryor) is a possibility.  If Talib doesn't return, CB definitely jumps up in the pecking order, IMO.  Possible targets would be Dennard, Gilbert, Roby, Fuller, Roberson or maybe LaMarcus Joyner as a CB/S hybrid at some point in Rd 1 or 2.  Personally, I don't expect either Dennard or Gilbert to be available to them.

Agreed, I think Pryor will be there at 29. Looking at some mocks I completed he seemed to be the best player available around 29, assumng the Key DTs and TEs are gone. Although I see 4-5 teams that need Safety help before NE picks.  So I guess it depends how those picks fall if he will be available.

FYI, Fuller pulled out of the Senior Bowl rehabbing injuries.  I am intrigued by the tall CBs/S types Desir, McGill, Jean-Baptiste.  I could see them as a DB addition in the 4th Rd. ( depends on SB and Combine) Late RD and UDFA Dontae Johnson, NC State ( played across from Amerson) and way under the radar BC player Al Jean Louis from Brockton (6'2 200) He declared.  Will be a project.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Agreed, I think Pryor will be there at 29. Looking at some mocks I completed he seemed to be the best player available around 29, assumng the Key DTs and TEs are gone. Although I see 4-5 teams that need Safety help before NE picks.  So I guess it depends how those picks fall if he will be available.

FYI, Fuller pulled out of the Senior Bowl rehabbing injuries.  I am intrigued by the tall CBs/S types Desir, McGill, Jean-Baptiste.  I could see them as a DB addition in the 4th Rd. ( depends on SB and Combine) Late RD and UDFA Dontae Johnson, NC State ( played across from Amerson) and way under the radar BC player Al Jean Louis from Brockton (6'2 200) He declared.  Will be a project.

Yeah, Pryor an Clinton-Dix are the only (2) S that should even be considered in Rd 1.  What I like is they're basically guaranteed to get a very good player and Day 1 starter if they stand pat (no pun intended).

I agree, Rd 4 is where I'd start looking at those (3).  Small world, my HS used to play Brockton annually until the state changed the scheduling format... they've been a power in the state for a long time... huge HS, and a ton of kids.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

(if we sign Talib here's what I would like to see)

ROund 1: Rashede Hageman

Round 2: ASJ

Round 3: Matavius Bryant

Round 4: Craig Loston.

need a legit fast deep threat (Bryant) need a legit big red zone target and we TE in general (ASJ) need interior DL help (Hageman) and we haven't had a true SS since Harrison left oh and gregory sucks (Loston)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

(if we sign Talib here's what I would like to see)

ROund 1: Rashede Hageman

Round 2: ASJ

Round 3: Matavius Bryant

Round 4: Craig Loston.

need a legit fast deep threat (Bryant) need a legit big red zone target and we TE in general (ASJ) need interior DL help (Hageman) and we haven't had a true SS since Harrison left oh and gregory sucks (Loston)

I could live with that haul... covers a lot of bases.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

1. TE
    2. Big Physical WR with RAC ability
    3. DT
    4. MLB
    5. Interior OL

I dont see it that way.

(a) With the play of Hightower and with Mayo coming back we do not need a MLB at all.

(b) There is always room for a real stud WR but the production of BOTH Thompkins and Dobson surpassed MANY very well thought of receivers in their rookie years - and in a system that requires more than just atheleitic ability.

(c) I put interior OL at #1 (if we resign Talib)

My order (for FA and draft needs) would be something like (assuming we resign Talib):

1. C or RG (if RG maby move Connolly to C, not happy with Wendell)

2. TE (someone who can be our #1 all purpose TE IF Gronk is not healthy but who can also be a great TE in double TE with Gronk)

3. DT/NT - with Vinny and Kelly (and Armstead) coming back it is not completely critical. But we dont know what Vinny will ahve left and in any case he and Kelly are not young. 

4. RG or C

I only have one position above on D. I do believe we need to continue to improve D and especially in the front 7 and especially in pass rush STILL. We certainly have gotten better at pass rush than a couple of years ago but this game showed how it is certainly not enough. Look at the Seattle SF game as well...  Both teams field a fierce front. We need a fierce front. So If there is a stud that can help us that way at DL or LB I like the addition. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24413534/nfl-draft-five-standouts-from-nflpa-collegiate-bowl

Thanks, I'm gonna see if I can find more info on Wozniak... the size is definitely there.

UPDATE: His bio said he had 21 starts over the last (2) years, so I figured he was primarilty a blocking TE, so I checked out a few of Melvin Gordon's games... the size is there, but he's more of a wall off blocker at this point... doesn't show a ton of power at the point, but can generally stay in front of his man.  He can over-extend and narrow us his base on occasion, but generally plays with a good base.

In a related note, Melvin Gordon is an absolute stud with the ball in his hands... reminds me of a thicker and maybe slightly slower Jamaal Charles.

Gordon will be back for another year, too bad. I would let Blount walk and reload, Gordon would have been a good choice. On Wozniak, I think NE needs to look at complete TEs that can block, pass, run.

Why would yo ulet Blount walk? He showed real value. I do agree we have two very good RBs in Vereen and RIdley and a solid backup and part time player in Bolden. But Blount showed REAL value. That we were unable to use him in Denver is due in part to coaching and in part to fielding a team with a weaker C and not quite good enough RG. Our line was not good enough, powerful enough to make use of Blount without the game plan helping out some.

I would like to keep Blount....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I should add to my list and agree with some others... upgrade at SS is warranted too. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

yep, i would be happy with Tuitt or Nix as well in Rd. 1.

Don't mind Daquan Jones as an option in Rd. 2 maybe but if we dont go defense round one and Kelvin Benj. is sitting on the board we BETTER grab him.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

yep, i would be happy with Tuitt or Nix as well in Rd. 1.

Don't mind Daquan Jones as an option in Rd. 2 maybe but if we dont go defense round one and Kelvin Benj. is sitting on the board we BETTER grab him.

Nix or Tuitt in Rd 1 would be an absolute home run at that spot.

Love DaQuan Jones in Rd 2... he'd be, at the very least, their 3rd best DL on Day 1 of camp (assuming Kelly is back).

Benjamin is one intriguing dude... hands are inconsistent, but there's really no way to cover him 1 on 1.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Why would you let Blount walk? He showed real value. I do agree we have two very good RBs in Vereen and RIdley and a solid backup and part time player in Bolden. But Blount showed REAL value. That we were unable to use him in Denver is due in part to coaching and in part to fielding a team with a weaker C and not quite good enough RG. Our line was not good enough, powerful enough to make use of Blount without the game plan helping out some.

On Blount, it all depends on the contract.  He may think he is worth more than what NE will offer.  If they agree, have no problem with him staying.

I too think $ is the key factor in regards to Blount... they're not gonna offer/pay him much,, but I think BB would love to have him back.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Nix or Tuitt in Rd 1 would be an absolute home run at that spot.

Love DaQuan Jones in Rd 2... he'd be, at the very least, their 3rd best DL on Day 1 of camp (assuming Kelly is back).

Benjamin is one intriguing dude... hands are inconsistent, but there's really no way to cover him 1 on 1.

agree with you on it all. and I'll take a drop here and there from Benj. if he can stretch the field and make big plays from time to time

which he will because at 6'5 230 he's a monster

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Why would you let Blount walk? He showed real value. I do agree we have two very good RBs in Vereen and RIdley and a solid backup and part time player in Bolden. But Blount showed REAL value. That we were unable to use him in Denver is due in part to coaching and in part to fielding a team with a weaker C and not quite good enough RG. Our line was not good enough, powerful enough to make use of Blount without the game plan helping out some.

On Blount, it all depends on the contract.  He may think he is worth more than what NE will offer.  If they agree, have no problem with him staying.

AGREED

There are some major decisions coming and I think the first will be Wilfork.  Every decision made on the cap will affect FA and the draft.  NE evaluates many variables, but I believe that the estimated player value-cost over a determined period is the most important.

Do we cut Wilfork and sign a cheaper FA?  Do we extend him?  I believe he will be cut and will sign a 1-2 year team friendly deal. He has to prove he is healthy.  I do not think he is the 2004-2012 Wilfork; he seemed to be slowing down before the injury.  It is a very tough decision. I think he will agree because he knows that there is a limited window for playing and a possible championship.

Kelly is another that needs to restructure. I think Sopoaga is cut along with Vellano. (not sure Vellano can go to PS).   Once this has settle down, NE should probably concentrate on a DT fairly high in the draft or we could go with cutting Wilfork and sign someone like a Linval Joesph or Randy Starks, longshot BJ Raji.  Joseph is a very good run stuffer and cheaper. 

Assume we have Wilfork, Kelly, Armstead, Jones, Siliga.  What positions do we draft? We have two NTs in Siliga and Wilfork,  43 DTs/34DEs in Armstead and Kelly. Do we need a run stuffer or penetrator?  I think we go for both somewhere in the draft or FA.  Remember we should get 2 or 3 comp picks.  We could have 10 picks.  Also, NE keeps a base 4/3 but it seems it is always in a hybrid; so how do stock for a hybrid defense?

Assumptions: Nix, Hageman and Tuitt do not make it to 29. This will probably force us to a 2nd round DT. (Only if NE considers DT a top 3round pick.) If one drops I would pull the trigger. 

TE re-created?  Do we look for more for “jokers”?  Do we want more HBs or do we convert large WRs with decent speed (Harrison) and turn them into the Hernandez role? Draft a big WR and convert? OR something else?  I wouldn’t mine both ND’s Troy Niklas and Cal’s Richard Rodgers.  Rodgers is a sleeper, later round pick, but looks like a move TE that can contribute. WR in HS and converted to TE, but in a spread offense.

I believe Talib should be resigned, but should we draft a DB?

I would lean to Gregory, and A. Wilson cut, if this happens we could see NE target Calvin Pryor in the 1st RD or a Jean-Baptiste, Desir, McGill in the 4th.   Asante Samuel was a 4th Rder so there is talent there that can be coached up.

Edelman signed, but if he walks we have TJ Moe and Amendola.  Moe is unproven, but runs the best routes.  Think Collie.  Blount signed if it is a realistic contract, but RB is always in high supply in the draft and we have 2 on PS. Does NE look for more speed?  The McCluster, Harvin type???

On OL, I think Wendell walks, NE has the former center from ND Braxton Cave on PS; however I think they go after Swanson or Stork.  At OG, they do have Kline and could bring back McDonald (Doubt it).  They have Chris Barker (6’3 310) on the 53 man roster, could he be another Donald Thomas? Connelly is a cap casualty.  They may look at ND’s Martin and Watt, Alabama’s Steen, N. Dakota St.’s Billy Turner (convert to OG). OG is fairly deep in the middle rds.

OT, I would take a flyer on James Hurst; injured, should drop, was a 2nd Rd Talent.  NE also has OT's RJ Mattes, Elvis Fisher, Bryce Schwab, and Marcus Zusevics on the team (IR or PS).

I didn't talk about DE/OLB, yet. With Nink hitting 30, NE may need more depth unless we move Collins. There are pash rushers in the draft. The Bequette experiment has failed. What has happened with him?

LB Mayo Hightower, Collins, do we resign Dane Fletcher?  Spikes gone? Do we draft an ILB or a hybrid?  If Collins is moved this becomes a higher pick.

If we restructure Mankins, Mayo, cut Wilfork (resign), cut Sopoaga, Connelly, A. Wilson, Gregory (maybe) there we be cap room.  Does NE go after Michael Johnson from Cin, production dropped 3.5 sacks from 11.5 last year?  Still a towering DE?  Would have to create the cap space first, but you never know.  We could get relief for Hernandez, wouldn't that be nice after this season.

I will not even talk about QB, Brady, Trade Mallett, etc, etc.  I think up and down this draft there are players that can help NE right away and create excellent depth.  The question is from the 2013 team who will be back.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/1/20/5327486/senior-bowl-2014-weigh-in-results

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/1/20/5327486/senior-bowl-2014-weigh-in-results

Thanks for posting... some definite beef across those defensive fronts!

McCullers came in under 350.  Sutton 315 @ 6'  OT Henderson only 331.  Good weight for him.

Gabe jacskon 339  like you said beef!!

2014 Senior Bowl: Ten Prospects with a Lot to Prove On the North Roster

Written by Eric Galko on 19 January 2014.

Logan ThomasUnfortunately, a full preview detailing every prospect wasn’t doable after a long Shrine Game week and the film required not being possible. However, I’ve seen a large majority of these prospects multiple times, and the key to evaluating these games is knowing what to look for.

So, I chose to list the ten players with the MOST to prove, and what exactly I’ll be looking for in each of them during the week. I put a lot of value in the Senior Bowl and seeing these guys side by side, especially at the quarterback position, so don’t be surprised to see us, along with others in the media and NFL teams, adjust their grades accordingly after this week’s practice.

1. Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech
    Entering the game as the most gifted athlete at the quarterback position, Thomas has struggled to live up to high, Cam Newton-like expectations after his sophomore season. His inconsistencies in placement, progressions, and decision making, including when and when not to run , are concerning on film. However, he possesses the talent to still be considered on Day Two (and potentially early) if he can have a strong week this week.

2. Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
    Boyd had the luxury of playing with a talented supporting cast at Clemson, particularly with receivers that made fantastic catches that hid some of his placement concerns across the field. Showing the flashes of Russell Wilson and Donovan McNabb at times, he has the tools to similar to those two, but has struggled to get to that point as a passer. Scouts will be curious to see him at the weigh-in, how he places the ball across the field, and how he responds to a new set of receivers in an unfamiliar offense.

3. Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin
    Likely under-appreciated entering the game due to a lackluster quarterback this year, Abbrederis could leave as one of the top senior receivers. He possesses great hand usage in both press situations and when working downfield, having a phenomenal game against potential 1st rounder Bradley Roby and Ohio State. If he can showcase his route polish, consistently winning at the catch-point, and more big play ability after the catch than he showed on film, he could emerge as a legitimate Day Two selection.

4. Gator Hoskins, TE, Marshall
    A late invite to the event, Hoskins made a name for himself during bowl season after a two touchdown performance in his final college game. The likely NFL H-Back, Hoskins will be able to show his versatility in route running from different initial positions, and if he can match up against NFL level safeties/coverage linebackers. A big week could make him a trendy late Day Two or early Day Three receiving tight end/H-Back option.

5. Weston Richburg, OC, Colorado State
    With the hand exchange, footwork, leverage, and quickness in the run game, Richburg has the potentially to be a big winner this week if he can stand out among the interior linemen in attendance. He’ll need to show he can win against bigger nose tackles on the inside and fit in multiple schemes, but his ability to finish plays and quickness in his blocking footwork could push him up to a Day Two center prospect.

6. Kadeem Edwards, OG, Georgia Southern
    A pleasant surprise as a I watched him on film in preparation, Edwards is a powerful inside run blocker who initiates contact at a high level and displays great power and upper body strength in pass protection. His hand placement is an issue, and quicker inside rushers (like Aaron Donald, Stephen Shamar) could expose him a bit. I’ll be watching his hand placement and initial pad level in pass protection closely this week

7. Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
    If he were just a few inches taller, scouts wouldn’t have a concern with Donald being a Top 10 pick. However, his lack of ideal size likely limits him in the NFL, unless he can prove it won’t this week. He has the talent level and college production to have a fantastic week, and if he can show that NFL-level offensive linemen can handle him consistently, I’ll have no qualms about making him a Top 20 pick.

8. Shamar Stephen, DT, UConn
    I had heard a lot of Stephen once he was invited, and the flashes he showed on a poor Uconn defense this year earned the praise he received. With quick hands initially, his speed-to-power transfer upfield, and his plus bend and fluidity inside and out, Stephen could emerge as a Day Two pick with a good week here. I’ll be watching his ability to disengage in the run game and his read-reaction ability in team running plays.

9. Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood
    A Shrine Game call-up, Desir didn’t get a chance to utilize his length and natural physical ability during practices because the corners were limited to no pressing. He’ll get plenty of one-on-one situations with physical receivers like Jared Abbrederis, which will be a battle to watch early in the week. An impressive week here, combined with a solid Shrine Week and intriguing potential displayed on film, Desir could vault up into the high Day Two area after the Senior Bowl and Combine.

10. Jimmie Ward, SAF, Northern Illinois
    Ward has played both cornerback and safety in his Northern Illinois career, and he’ll likely get work at both (particularly at nickel corner) this week. Ward is an active edge player, finishing tackles well and working man or zone coverage at a high level. I’ll be curious to see him remain balanced and quick to react from his safety spot, and how he can handle slot coverage against NFL-level receivers this week.

• Sections
    Shortcuts