***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to Pats7393's comment:
    [QUOTE]

...On McCullers, I think the VW affect makes him worth the pick.  No way does he come in and not get hard knocks school of play from both VW and TK that was my thinking.  So a bit of projection but if he came with the same rep and Gabe he would be talked as a higher pick, think VW can get that out of him.

[/QUOTE]

I won't argue with you on that. I just worry of another wasted DT pick like Brace.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Come on MB keep this thread on the front page so I know who we should be looking at, and so we don't have to hunt this page down.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Come on MB keep this thread on the front page so I know who we should be looking at, and so we don't have to hunt this page down.

[/QUOTE]

They had it pinned at one point, but a few of the whine bags on BDC did wah wah's to the MODs, haha.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They had it pinned at one point, but a few of the whine bags on BDC did wah wah's to the MODs, haha.

[/QUOTE] Too bad there are dueschebags every where! This particular thread allows me to keep up with two trains of thought the draft and how it pertains to the future of the Patriots and the overall landscape of the draft... How else would our knowledge be shared via carrier pidgeon?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We'll certainly have a better idea of the all important triangle #'s (40, SS & 3C, etc.) with the combine/pro-days on the horizon.  They're not the tell all, but BB does value them as they reflect a players speed, COD and lateral agility.

As for FA, below are some names of potential interest:

DT: Tony McDaniel (SEA), Arthur Jones (BAL), Jason Hatchert, Linval Joseph, Pat Sims (Oak), etc.

TE:  Scott Chandler (BUF), Bear Pascoe (NYG), Dennis Pitta (BAL), Brandon Myers (NYG), Dallas Clark (BAL), etc.

SS: TJ Ward (CLE), Bernard Pollard (TEN), Ryan Clark (PIT), etc.

I really, really would love to see TJ Ward in Foxboro... looks like a leader in the secondary and he try and blow you up... unfortunately Gronk was on the wrong end of one of his hits... granted it was low, but he's smack you in the open field.

[/QUOTE]

If I had to get one FA at each spot for the Pats putting $ realistic

SS: Pollard or Whitner (TJ Ward #1 if somehow the money works)

DT: Linval Joseph

TE: Pitta or Chandler

CB: Talib

DE: Michael Bennett...?

WR: Edelman, Sanders

[/QUOTE]this is interesting because of Pollard. how did he do this year with  Tenneessee (?)  I would compare him to Bryan Cox , butthead with Miami but when he was our butthead  i loved him,

is he still the intimidating yet proficient SS used to be ?  He might not be that costly.

Ward is intimidating ( ask Gronk and  Josh Gordon...  could we get him?)   but he is not really a tackler  as much as a torpedo guy, aka Merriweather. i am not wild about that type of safety because if they miss   BIG GAIN!.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to mgraham's comment:
    [QUOTE] 

[/QUOTE]this is interesting because of Pollard. how did he do this year with  Tenneessee (?)  I would compare him to Bryan Cox , butthead with Miami but when he was our butthead  i loved him,

is he still the intimidating yet proficient SS used to be ?  He might not be that costly.

Ward is intimidating ( ask Gronk and  Josh Gordon...  could we get him?)   but he is not really a tackler  as much as a torpedo guy, aka Merriweather. i am not wild about that type of safety because if they miss   BIG GAIN!.

[/QUOTE]

imo if we want to find the cheapest yet most ba ng for your buck SS it would be Pollard. good tackler, can cover (its not his strength but he can do it) and make the impact hit. Whitner would be the best ba ng for buck if he came here cheap but I think he would require more $ so yeah.

Ward is good. He's alot better than Meriweather imo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mgraham's comment:
    [QUOTE] 

[/QUOTE]

imo if we want to find the cheapest yet most ba ng for your buck SS it would be Pollard. good tackler, can cover (its not his strength but he can do it) and make the impact hit. Whitner would be the best ba ng for buck if he came here cheap but I think he would require more $ so yeah.

Ward is good. He's alot better than Meriweather imo

[/QUOTE] Yeah on the other thread for the wish list of two FA's I suggested Incognito and Pollard. My reasoning was I'm tired of the Patriots coming with little or no emotion. Pollard is a killer and Incognito is a nastier than life G/C who can handle himself in the trenches. It's all about attitude. The Patriots have lost a lot of their swagger, it's time to reinstall the nasty attitude we had with Rodney.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Since you guys are talking about these two guys, hoping to generate some nastiness in teh team, I have a question.

Does nastiness on the D rub off on the O?

Everyone knew about how hard-hitting the SEA D is. But the O, particularly their OL was pretty nasty too. In the third quarter, SEA's Giacomini slammed DEN's Philips to the ground and then pinned him there a la MMA. DEN's Adams saw it and got upset and was frantically looking for tehr efs to call a foul.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

What do you guys think of Kyle Fuller? To me, the guy looks like he could be special. Long arms, long frame, athletic, could play in either a zone or man scheme and thrive. He's physical, very good tackler, big hitter, solid in run support, and could kick to SS in a pinch. Personally, I like him over Exum, although I'd be happy with either. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What do you guys think of Kyle Fuller? To me, the guy looks like he could be special. Long arms, long frame, athletic, could play in either a zone or man scheme and thrive. He's physical, very good tackler, big hitter, solid in run support, and could kick to SS in a pinch. Personally, I like him over Exum, although I'd be happy with either. 

[/QUOTE]

I like him and would have great value in Rd. 2. but I think there are bigger needs than CB. if talib is resigned then we need to worry about DT, TE, DE and OL before CB imo.

but Fuller is a very good player

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Very good player... was in Amari Coopers back pocket all day vs. Bama.  Good length and ball skills.  I think he has Rd 1 talent, but may be a value pick somewhere on Day 2 due to an injury.  I"m a fan.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

After watching some highlights, Pryor is the guy I want to see us take. Has a Cam Chancellor type of swag to him. Big guy, hits like a truck, super athletic, and is good enough in coverage.

Placing him next to McCourty would give us a great safety tandem. If we could re-sign Talib and see about adding another player via FA or the draft, our secondary could be top-10, possible top-5 in the NFL, between McCourty, Pyror, Talib, Dennard, Ryan, and someone like Kyle Fuller or Charles Tillman.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

After watching some highlights, Pryor is the guy I want to see us take. Has a Cam Chancellor type of swag to him. Big guy, hits like a truck, super athletic, and is good enough in coverage.

Placing him next to McCourty would give us a great safety tandem. If we could re-sign Talib and see about adding another player via FA or the draft, our secondary could be top-10, possible top-5 in the NFL, between McCourty, Pyror, Talib, Dennard, Ryan, and someone like Kyle Fuller or Charles Tillman.  

[/QUOTE]

Top kid on my board at this point.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] If you are looking at SS, the guys you hope are still on the board when you make the choice in the 2nd or 3rd rounds: Bucannon, Ward or Dixon, with Sunseri sitting at a 3-4 round ranking..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] If you are looking at SS, the guys you hope are still on the board when you make the choice in the 2nd or 3rd rounds: Bucannon, Ward or Dixon, with Sunseri sitting at a 3-4 round ranking.

[/QUOTE]

I do like Bucannon on day 2, Sunseri on Day 3.  Bucannon is another, big, rangy physical kid. Sunseri is a smart, sound defender with good awareness, though I don't see a tone setter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] If you are looking at SS, the guys you hope are still on the board when you make the choice in the 2nd or 3rd rounds: Bucannon, Ward or Dixon, with Sunseri sitting at a 3-4 round ranking.

[/QUOTE]

I do like Bucannon on day 2, Sunseri on Day 3.  Bucannon is another, big, rangy physical kid. Sunseri is a smart, sound defender with good awareness, though I don't see a tone setter.

[/QUOTE] Sunseri has the the Special teams as his added skills. Plus he a very smart SS. Depending how well he's doing in his rehab will be an indicator of where he'll be drafted.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You think he'll be there at pick #29? He seems like a special prospect, and while I've seen him listed as a late 1st-rounder, that almost sounds too good to be true. If he's there at #29, I take him -- no doubt. If he's there as #29 approaches, and you think someone may take him, you leapfrog them. This beast next to McCourty, and throw Talib on the outside, and that's a special secondary. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

I want the patriots to select Will Sutton in the second round.. DT at Arizona st..6"1 315 he is an absolute stud. That will make me extremely happy.. first round go pass catching TE Hard hitting safety or a big physical WR with good run after the catch ability. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I want the patriots to select Will Sutton in the second round.. DT at Arizona st..6"1 315 he is an absolute stud. That will make me extremely happy.. first round go pass catching TE Hard hitting safety or a big physical WR with good run after the catch ability. 

[/QUOTE]

I think Sutton could be a solid player or some team, just don't think he's a good scematic fit for what NE likes to do.  He doesn't play to his weight and, in the tape that I've seen, isn't that strong at the POA and isn't someone with a lot of 2-gap potential.  I personally think he'd be better off losing 15-20 pounds, to better utilize his strengths, which is to shoot gaps and be disruptive.  Def more of a 3-tech type.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You think he'll be there at pick #29? He seems like a special prospect, and while I've seen him listed as a late 1st-rounder, that almost sounds too good to be true. If he's there at #29, I take him -- no doubt. If he's there as #29 approaches, and you think someone may take him, you leapfrog them. This beast next to McCourty, and throw Talib on the outside, and that's a special secondary. 

[/QUOTE]

Not certain that he will be... though I think there's a chance.  Agree that he'd be an awesome complement to DMC.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not certain that he will be... though I think there's a chance.  Agree that he'd be an awesome complement to DMC.

[/QUOTE] I guess it is pretty much a given the Patriots still need Secondary help even with all the draft choices they've made over the last 5 years searching for the right guys. Pryor, McGill, Nesir, Sunseri, Ward or whomever they draft lets just hope they get it straightened out this year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] I guess it is pretty much a given the Patriots still need Secondary help even with all the draft choices they've made over the last 5 years searching for the right guys. Pryor, McGill, Nesir, Sunseri, Ward or whomever they draft lets just hope they get it straightened out this year.

[/QUOTE]

They've done better with CB's, landing (2) quality players in the last (2) drafts (Ryan/Dennard), but I landing that phsycial, intimidator has been a challenge.  I think Harmon projects to be at least an average regular, but physicality is the missnig ingredient in the back end of their secondary.  I'm not saying that they're DB's are timid, but the knock you out element is lacking.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Stanford's Ed Reynolds has become a bit of a forgotten name when discussing potential S targets in this class.  He's a long (6-2 208), rangy, athletic kid with good instincts and physicality... would make a solid option on Day 2.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Read Reiss' piece on Kiper's opinions.  If NE moves Cannon to OG, I could see them going after an OT if one is there.  Although they could tuck away Hurst for a year with a 3rd or 4th rd pick.

I like Reynold's.  I would like to see him run and do drills at the combine.

Been travelling and will go out again next week.  Try to comment when I can.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Since I truly believe BB is going to trade out of day 1, so start looking for guys you like in round two.

Sections
Shortcuts