***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

I have played most sports at a competitive level and would consider myself a mediocre player in comparison to elite players. One such sport was racket ball. I had the misfortune of ending up on the court with two seemingly advance players in a 3 man "cut-throat" game.

The court had a balcony and there sat a white haired older gent in perhaps his late 60's. He asked if he could join our group so that we could play doubles and he would play with the weakest player to even the competition. He suggested me and thus we played.

I don't know who the old gent was but we won the first game 20-2. The second game was closer 20-13 and the last game was 20-18. The strategy was to keep the ball AWAY from the old man (who turned every shot into a kill shot) and make me beat them.

The point of this introduction, in addition to being highly skilled the old man ANTICIPATED every shot and was always in position for the KILL SHOT!

Looking at running times at the combine and trying to make judgements on tens of a second times without weighing football knowledge, instincts and production at competitive levels is frought with miscalculations about pro potential.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to moskk's comment:

I have played most sports at a competitive level and would consider myself a mediocre player in comparison to elite players. One such sport was racket ball. I had the misfortune of ending up on the court with two seemingly advance players in a 3 man "cut-throat" game.

The court had a balcony and there sat a white haired older gent in perhaps his late 60's. He asked if he could join our group so that we could play doubles and he would play with the weakest player to even the competition. He suggested me and thus we played.

I don't know who the old gent was but we won the first game 20-2. The second game was closer 20-13 and the last game was 20-18. The strategy was to keep the ball AWAY from the old man (who turned every shot into a kill shot) and make me beat them.

The point of this introduction, in addition to being highly skilled the old man ANTICIPATED every shot and was always in position for the KILL SHOT!

Looking at running times at the combine and trying to make judgements on tens of a second times without weighing football knowledge, instincts and production at competitive levels is frought with miscalculations about pro potential.

Good story.  I'll only speak for myself, and the debate, at least from my side, was tied simply to what I thought their 40 time was or how fast said player looked on tape, not the overall skill set of the particular player.  I don't think anybody believes that a good 40 time, or lack their of, dictates success... or lack there of.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

So TJ Moe is released, I can't think of any reason why they would release him now.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So TJ Moe is released, I can't think of any reason why they would release him now.  

[/QUOTE]

Not happy with his recovery/progress from injury?  Not happy with his progress/understanding of the offensive system?  Don't project him to be anything special?

I can see what you're saying, but they have the inside scoop.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

[QUOTE]

A bit of mock as a prisoner of the moment, no #1 CB.  Been looking at comp picks and I think I can make the statement there's at least 2 6th rounders.  We all know the usual suspects but will make an argument for the less knowns/not liked.

1st CB Kyle Fuller

2nd DT DeQuan Jones

3rd TE C.J. Fiedorowicz

4th OG Jon Halapio

6th LB Max Bullough

6th DE Aaron Lynch - Guy has all the tools, 6'5" 250lbs when motivated (that's the key) can be a disruptive guy off the edge.  Problem is he hasn't played to his potential, lack of motivation.  I think in NE's locker room he would find that motivation.  Could be a steal if he turns it on.

6th Comp QB Tom Savage named Tom picked in the 6th round and his bio reads like someone else named Tom lol  I had to do it but he can develop into a starting NFL QB.

6th Comp S Brock Vereen, Shane's brother y not

7th TE/Hback/FB Gator Hoskins  Name alone lol  but undersized TE 6'2" 244lbs, if he was 6'4" 260 he would be a 2nd rnd pick.

[/QUOTE]
    +100

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Maybe sometime in the next week we will have a better idea of how the roster will look before the draft and at that point we can start narrowing down the draft choices.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good story.  I'll only speak for myself, and the debate, at least from my side, was tied simply to what I thought their 40 time was or how fast said player looked on tape, not the overall skill set of the particular player.  I don't think anybody believes that a good 40 time, or lack their of, dictates success... or lack there of.

[/QUOTE]

Here is an interesting document: http://www.ourlads.com/pdfs/PhysAttributes_NFLSuccess.pdf

Enjoy!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poopsteo. Show poopsteo's posts

I hope we don't burn another pick on the secondary!Sign a known comadatity and draft the best player on the pats board. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Here is an interesting document: http://www.ourlads.com/pdfs/PhysAttributes_NFLSuccess.pdf

Enjoy!

[/QUOTE]

Thank you for posting that URL. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

A bit of mock as a prisoner of the moment, no #1 CB.  Been looking at comp picks and I think I can make the statement there's at least 2 6th rounders.  We all know the usual suspects but will make an argument for the less knowns/not liked.

1st CB Kyle Fuller

2nd DT DeQuan Jones

3rd TE C.J. Fiedorowicz

4th OG Jon Halapio

6th LB Max Bullough

6th DE Aaron Lynch - Guy has all the tools, 6'5" 250lbs when motivated (that's the key) can be a disruptive guy off the edge.  Problem is he hasn't played to his potential, lack of motivation.  I think in NE's locker room he would find that motivation.  Could be a steal if he turns it on.

6th Comp QB Tom Savage named Tom picked in the 6th round and his bio reads like someone else named Tom lol  I had to do it but he can develop into a starting NFL QB.

6th Comp S Brock Vereen, Shane's brother y not

7th TE/Hback/FB Gator Hoskins  Name alone lol  but undersized TE 6'2" 244lbs, if he was 6'4" 260 he would be a 2nd rnd pick.

[/QUOTE]

I like the Fuller, Jones and Bullough picks.

I would reach for Stork in the third just to be sure the Pats gets him, even if it means having to resort to Gillmore instead of picking up CJF.

I would also take Wimberly in the 7th.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

What do you guys have on Jordan Tripp?  Tape on him against Costal Carolina, he lines up all over including in the slot in a trips formation but there's some things that he needs to work on.

Looks like his assignment most of the game is spying on the QB, one play he has clean shot in the flats after dumped pass and completely misses the tackle.  One others he persuits accross the field.  

In coverage looks to stay with the WR dowfield.  Timed a few blitz perfect.  Inconsistent shedding blocks, some plays he completely gets swallowed up by blockers.

Most can be coached, from what I'm reading he has extremely high football IQ and loves the game.  Bluecollar type LB.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

With the news that Dobson had surgery and his recovery time looks to be 2-3 months, the Patriots could be looking for a new WR. Broken foot that didn't heal after taking 3 weeks off at the end of the season, as well as another 7weeks after the season. Hope it heals this time. So now we know we can add a WR into the mix at some point FA or Draft.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

What do you guys have on Jordan Tripp?  Tape on him against Costal Carolina, he lines up all over including in the slot in a trips formation but there's some things that he needs to work on.

Looks like his assignment most of the game is spying on the QB, one play he has clean shot in the flats after dumped pass and completely misses the tackle.  One others he persuits accross the field.  

In coverage looks to stay with the WR dowfield.  Timed a few blitz perfect.  Inconsistent shedding blocks, some plays he completely gets swallowed up by blockers.

Most can be coached, from what I'm reading he has extremely high football IQ and loves the game.  Bluecollar type LB.  

[/QUOTE]

His movement ability really stands out on tape... quick footed kid, moves well laterally and has good COD and that seems to be backed up by his 6.89 3C, which was good for 16th amongst all defensive players and his 3.96 SS which was good for 7th amongst ALL players at the combine and 2nd amongst defensive players.

I also like his instincts, pursuit angles and effort on every snap... you can tell this kid loves to the play the game.

On the negative side, he can over pursue and needs to do a better job of breaking down in space, he doesnt' show much stack/shed ability and seems to have trouble getting off blocks consistently and he needs to do a better job of protecting his legs.

At the very least, I think he'll be a good ST player, but he's a kid that I'd love to have on my team... just love his effort, approach on the field.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With the news that Dobson had surgery and his recovery time looks to be 2-3 months, the Patriots could be looking for a new WR. Broken foot that didn't heal after taking 3 weeks off at the end of the season, as well as another 7weeks after the season. Hope it heals this time. So now we know we can add a WR into the mix at some point FA or Draft.

[/QUOTE]

The good news is the draft is stacked with WR talent, so they should be able to score some value there and there are kids like Latimer and Abbrederis (amongst others) that can possibly be had on early/mid Day 3 and have starter potential.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Enjoy!

[/QUOTE]

Good find, thanks for posting.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

His movement ability really stands out on tape... quick footed kid, moves well laterally and has good COD and that seems to be backed up by his 6.89 3C, which was good for 16th amongst all defensive players and his 3.96 SS which was good for 7th amongst ALL players at the combine and 2nd amongst defensive players.

I also like his instincts, pursuit angles and effort on every snap... you can tell this kid loves to the play the game.

On the negative side, he can over pursue and needs to do a better job of breaking down in space, he doesnt' show much stack/shed ability and seems to have trouble getting off blocks consistently and he needs to do a better job of protecting his legs.

At the very least, I think he'll be a good ST player, but he's a kid that I'd love to have on my team... just love his effort, approach on the field.

[/QUOTE]

Seeing the same, I think his ability to shed will come with upgraded coaching.  His messurables match what's on tape, the negatives I think can be coached.  Think he would be a "do your job" type player, comes in studies learns and could become a solid LB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'm just writing to keep this thread on the main page. Lots of guys moving in Free Agency but nothing connected to the Patriots other than a potential visit from WW (Wesley Woodyard) and that neither Talib nor Edelman are signing today.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

And dadgummit, Atl signed Soliai!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Man I was hoping the Patriots would have at least tried to sign him or one of the big space eaters! Starks, Melton and maybe they find a guy like Hatcher.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Man I was hoping the Patriots would have at least tried to sign him or one of the big space eaters! Starks, Melton and maybe they find a guy like Hatcher.

And it looks like he's getting paid too!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Eagles just signed Malcolm Jenkins that's three of the top Safeties off the board ! Bethea, Whitner, and now Jenkins! Looks like the Patriots are going to have to draft another SS.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

You can now take TJ Ward off the board.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

alright MB, your guy Ward is gone and my guy (W)Hitner is gone too.

safe to say:

GIMME SOME CALVIN PRYOR

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I don't see Pryor getting to us, but I could see them getting Woodyard and using him as an in the box S and Harmon as a coverage SS? Would still want Exum

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

alright MB, your guy Ward is gone and my guy (W)Hitner is gone too.

safe to say:

GIMME SOME CALVIN PRYOR

[/QUOTE] Yeah all the SS signings helps the Patriots in the draft, Jimmy Ward, Pryor, Reynolds, Ha-Ha and all the remaining college kids will be brought into play.