***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

With Wilfork all but gone and the good free agents at DE/DT gone the Pats should take a shot at one with their 1st pick. 

Hageman or Nix 

HAGEMAN H HAGEMAN AGEMAN

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Question for all... would you rather have Kelvin Benjamin or Jace Amaro in Rd 1?

That's a trick question! Ok if Edelman leaves I want  Benjamin, if Gronk can't play I want Amaro, If #75 is released I want the best available DT, if none of the above leave and Pryor is still on the board I want Pryor because he's an absolute STUD! My second choice would be Benjamin. There are enough good TE's and DT's that can be drafted later in round two and three and even rounds 4 & 6.
    Think about the future secondary with both Browner and Pryor roaming around out there looking for someone to hit...
    While I'm sitting here thinking, this crossed my mind what can the GM's of other teams be thinking about the Patriots loading up on Defense? They have to be trying to guess where they can block BB from improving his offense, because if they don't Cie Est La VIE! Er Fin'e.

In my opinion BB has them over the proverbial barrel, as he can now set his draft without weaknesses, he is no longer drafting from a position of need.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With Wilfork all but gone and the good free agents at DE/DT gone the Pats should take a shot at one with their 1st pick. 

Hageman or Nix 

HAGEMAN H HAGEMAN AGEMAN[/QUOTE]

Hageman cannot play 43 interior DL.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hageman or Nix 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's not what I've read from scouting reports on him though I've seen that he plays too high at times but that he also gets good push against double teams.  They need to address Wilforks leaving through the draft unless they come to terms still and no one is left in FA from what I can see.

ESPN.com's Todd McShay called Minnesota DT Ra'Shede Hageman a "rare talent."

"Hageman has more 'wow' moments than any DT in class," McShay tweeted. "Pads rise way too often, motor runs hot-cold." Outside of Jadeveon Clowney, Hageman is as athletically gifted as any defensive line prospect. At 6-foot-6, 311-pounds, he runs a sub 5-second forty and is arguably versatile enough to play any DL position in any scheme. Some believe his best fit is as a 3-4 DE, while others see a pocket collapsing 4-3 DT. Some evaluators are spooked by his inconsistency, but keep in mind that Hageman was easily Minnesota's best defender and was often targeted with multiple blockers in Big 10 play.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hageman or Nix 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's not what I've read from scouting reports on him though I've seen that he plays too high at times but that he also gets good push against double teams.  They need to address Wilforks leaving through the draft unless they come to terms still and no one is left in FA from what I can see.

"Hageman has more 'wow' moments than any DT in class," McShay tweeted. "Pads rise way too often, motor runs hot-cold." Outside of Jadeveon Clowney, Hageman is as athletically gifted as any defensive line prospect. At 6-foot-6, 311-pounds, he runs a sub 5-second forty and is arguably versatile enough to play any DL position in any scheme. Some believe his best fit is as a 3-4 DE, while others see a pocket collapsing 4-3 DT. Some evaluators are spooked by his inconsistency, but keep in mind that Hageman was easily Minnesota's best defender and was often targeted with multiple blockers in Big 10 play.

[/QUOTE]

IMO, that is where he fits better.

If BB picks him up, I will just hope he works out well for however the Pats chooses to use him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hageman or Nix 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

IMO, that is where he fits better.

If BB picks him up, I will just hope he works out well for however the Pats chooses to use him.

[/QUOTE]

Def agree there.  They need to have a good draft this year.  

I haven't seen Hageman play but physically he seems like Richard Sherman.  Nix would be kind of scary too because of the knee injury imo.  D line and a Center should be their top picks.

Hoping the Texans Mallet talk was more than hot air too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hagemen, Nix, Jones at DT? How about Brent Urban DT in round 4-6?

Best C or G on the board in round 2? Maybe package Mallet and pick for higher 2nd rounder and take C or G with first of the two and best OL, DL or perhaps TE (or if you are sold on a particular WR that is still available) with second 2nd rounder.

Maybe one of the all around TEs in round 3-4. Maybe a shot at a QB in 3 or 4?

[/QUOTE]

I like Urban, been touting him for a while... love the size and length and he's very good vs. the run... a bit raw as a PR... scheme diverse.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hageman or Nix 

[/QUOTE]

He played 43 DT in college as well as 34 DE, so why can't he?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

The question is will they double dip at DT?  I say yes, if they don't sign a FA DT.  Still, hoping for Pat Sims in FA.  They may wait for camp cuts also.  It bit risky for me.

I like Nix, Hageman, Tuitt in the 1st. The sleeper is Timmy Jernigan.  Is NE changing its front 7 to penetrate, disrupt more and get to the QB?  Could we see smaller DTs getting picked first, which would allow Nix to drop, maybe. Although, all three are athletic to a certain degree. I would be happy with any of the four.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

One thing I like and agree with you MB, you always say length especially on Defense. When you post that one word, then I look at his clips.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hagemen, Nix, Jones at DT? How about Brent Urban DT in round 4-6?

Best C or G on the board in round 2? Maybe package Mallet and pick for higher 2nd rounder and take C or G with first of the two and best OL, DL or perhaps TE (or if you are sold on a particular WR that is still available) with second 2nd rounder.

Maybe one of the all around TEs in round 3-4. Maybe a shot at a QB in 3 or 4?

[/QUOTE]

I like Urban, been touting him for a while... love the size and length and he's very good vs. the run... a bit raw as a PR... scheme diverse.

[/QUOTE]

Could see him as the second DT pick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One thing I like and agree with you MB, you always say length especially on Defense.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, seems to be something that BB values quite highly is his DL and edge players.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Have to think DL and OL will be the focus of the draft, with a TE in round 1 or 2 (I think 2 is more likely)...maybe a WR if they don't sign anyone, but I'm not convinced they won't bring in some sort of veteran.

On offense, if they can fix the OL, Brady and the receivers will play better, so that should come first.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

They're a bit thin at LB too.  Still some time to go in FA and there could always target a camp cut or two, but I'd also think that they'll address in the draft as well.

Plus, I wanna buy my Telvin Smith jersey, haha.

Could easily see them target Max Bullough (as others have mentioned) as that pure Mike backer on day 3 as well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

It seems like some of the smaller, quicker DTs might be a pretty hot commodity this year.  Guys like Jerrigan and Donald seem to be climbing up draft boards.  I think there is a better chance that Nix could be there at 29 than I did a month ago.  It is still more than likely that he is gone, but his stock has slid a bit, I think.  It isn't anything that he did, but it seems like scouts and teams  are higher on the lighter, quicker DTs this year than they are on the huge, Nose-Tackle types.  I still believe that it would be a steal if we could get him at 29.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Wish I could dress up a couple of Caterpillars in a Pats uniform on DT. You push that line back, into QB, you did your job. No place to step up, and kill the running play.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:
    [QUOTE]

At 29 somehow Nix, Ebron and Ealy still on the board, what's ur pick?

I still can't decide, can make an argument for all 3.  Leaning towards Ebron but Nix as VW replacement and his personality becomes fan favorite, Ealy opposite Jones off the edge with the cover CBs they have now.

[/QUOTE]

I'll answer it like this... of the (3), I think Ealy will end up being the best player.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

I like the idea of doubling up on DL with something like:

Nix/Hageman in the first, (whoever is available)

Joel Bitonio in the second

CJ Federowitz in the third

Daquan Jones in the fourth

Best center or O-lineman with position flexibility

I also am a big fan of Jordan Mathews at Vandy - obviously a smart kid - could definitely understand what it takes to be where Brady wants his receivers to be...not sure we need him if we get Edelman back - may be a redundant choice

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

They're a bit think at LB too.  Still some time to go in FA and there could always target a camp cut or two, but I'd also think that they'll address in the draft as well.

Could easily see them target Max Bullough (as others have mentioned) as that pure Mike backer on day 3 as well.

Agreed. A cover LB to free up Collins to attack the QB would be a nice addition. How would you rank their needs (as of now...let's say Edelman is resigned)? Here's how I see it at the moment:

1. DT

2. TE

3. C/OG (inside OL essentially..if you improve this, the WRs and Brady will improve).

4. DE (to give Jones and Nink some help and improve the pass rush)

5. LB

6. WR (I'm convinced they get Edelman back and/or bring in a vet FA...maybe get a round 3 or later WR if there is one that appeals to them).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

I'm also going to go on record and say that this year, BB will trade up in either the 1st or 2nd round (possibly for 2 picks in one of these rounds)...I just have that feeling.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]

They're a bit think at LB too.  Still some time to go in FA and there could always target a camp cut or two, but I'd also think that they'll address in the draft as well.

[/QUOTE] On three of the four mocks CBSsports.com has on their site, they have the Patriots taking CJ Mosely and Ryan Shazier.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] On three of the four mocks CBSsports.com has on their site, they have the Patriots taking CJ Mosely and Ryan Shazier.

[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't be mad at that!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I think they would be happy if either guy was there at 29. I still have to think if #75 is gone they will target a replacement but like I've maintained you just can't think you know which way to cards will drop, BB is just as likely to trade up or down as compared with using the slotted pick. So I'm sure of one thing BB is not the normal GM.

Additionally I would be happy with any of these guys: Pryor,Hageman, Benjamin, or Shazier. They will probably trade spots I'm just not sure which way the winds will blow. If they can swing a trade with anyone for multiple picks for their #1, I believe he would do it in a heartbeat because this is a very deep draft at the teams positions of need.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hageman or Nix 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No argument that he played both roles. He was not good at 43 DT. Decent at 34 DE.

There is a reason they make him play outside on 34 even though he is the biggest DL. That is where looks more comfortable. Probably where is more comfortable.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hageman or Nix 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No argument that he played both roles. He was not good at 43 DT. Decent at 34 DE.

There is a reason they make him play outside on 34 even though he is the biggest DL. That is where looks more comfortable. Probably where is more comfortable.

[/QUOTE]OK we get it , you are not a fan of Hageman!!LOL

Sections
Shortcuts