***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to Pats7393's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

D.J. Williams, will he be able to fill in AH role? 

went to look at some scouting stuff when he came out found this SI

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2011/players/73487.html

and cbs

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1273405

I just don't see it. Williams has been between 3 teams in 3 years and none of them has he flashed the ability to be an effective pass catcher. He was also a below average blocker. I think it was more of a case of no available TE's through the year and he was the best option. In all honesty given his blocking ability I'd rather try out Harrison in that role than Williams but I don't think that will end up being the case as I think they go TE early and maybe even double dip.

I asked yesterday (by the way no one answered!) lol  If Harrison could be in that type of TE/HBack role because of the blocking.  If there's one thing he is above average in is blocking and has good strength for a WR.  17 reps at combine, he has some strength and scouting reports is that his footwork is solid while blocking but that's usually against smaller guys.  

I'm just always looking for the underdog, D.J. might be that and then some. lol  

I think he has the size, athleticism and movement ability to factor as a flex type TE, yeah.  Can't find tape of him as a blocker, inline (didn't really play there) or in space, but he does bring a level of physicality after the catch, so he's not shy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

and cbs

I just don't see it. Williams has been between 3 teams in 3 years and none of them has he flashed the ability to be an effective pass catcher. He was also a below average blocker. I think it was more of a case of no available TE's through the year and he was the best option. In all honesty given his blocking ability I'd rather try out Harrison in that role than Williams but I don't think that will end up being the case as I think they go TE early and maybe even double dip.

[/QUOTE]

I asked yesterday (by the way no one answered!) lol  If Harrison could be in that type of TE/HBack role because of the blocking.  If there's one thing he is above average in is blocking and has good strength for a WR.  17 reps at combine, he has some strength and scouting reports is that his footwork is solid while blocking but that's usually against smaller guys.  

[/QUOTE]

I think he has the size, athleticism and movement ability to factor as a flex type TE, yeah.  Can't find tape of him as a blocker, inline (didn't really play there) or in space, but he does bring a level of physicality after the catch, so he's not shy.

[/QUOTE]

Well, someone needs to call BB so we can get the plans for some of these guys and how he projects team.

Because if you asked me they would had been bringing in TEs in FA left and right, has any even visited?

Does he have another Vollmer or Harmon in the works?  Who could be 2014's, WHO THE HELL IS THAT!

Reggie Jordan?

http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/draft-diamonds-prospect-interview-reggie-jordan-te-missouri-western/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

and cbs

Well, someone needs to call BB so we can get the plans for some of these guys and how he projects team.

Because if you asked me they would had been bringing in TEs in FA left and right, has any even visited?

Does he have another Vollmer or Harmon in the works?  Who could be 2014's, WHO THE HELL IS THAT!

Reggie Jordan?

http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/draft-diamonds-prospect-interview-reggie-jordan-te-missouri-western/

Haha.  My favorite "Who the hell is that" name is NW WR Kain Colter (5-10 198)... Tough, smart, competitive, versatile, sudden, athletic, huge hands.  Looks like another late Rd, QB convert/project with starting slot upside and high level leadership qualities and intangibles.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

and cbs

Reggie Jordan?

• Haha.  My favorite "Who the hell is that" name is NW WR Kain Colter (5-10 198)... Tough, smart, competitive, versatile, sudden, athletic, huge hands.  Looks like another late Rd, QB convert/project with starting slot upside and high level leadership qualities and intangibles.

Had him as a 7th rounder in my last mock, for no other reason than that he was in the same mold as Julian Edelman...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Reggie Jordan?

I'm going with Joe Don Duncan. People around the draft thread know him because I've been so vocal but I doubt the Pats fanbase in general know a single thing about him. I'm guessing there would be a collective huh, who is this DII hick? I'd also toss in Jerick McKinnon as a late day 2 pick that people would scratch their heads over

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Kelvin Benjamin would make an immediate impact on the Pats. Other than the straight ahead speed, he reminds me of Megatron.

Would not mind at all using #29 on him.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Another day down!51 more days until the draft!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

I keep forgetting about will sutton DT Arizona State, such a sleeper pick his stock has fallen. Would love to draft him in the later rounds. Also Kelcy Quarles South Carolina DT and btw, his uncle is the one and only Ben Coates :) 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kezzamuzza. Show kezzamuzza's posts

MB

Echoing CanPat thoughts with Fletcher and Spikes gone and Chandler Jones and Nink playing most snaps, how do you think we should move forward eg Buchanan, Collins , Beauharnais are they enough? Particularly in covering the field ie TE's.

If not considering our current DT situation what are the best options? 

DT that can play DE, cover LB's etc? Bit worried we haven't picked up a bit of experience in that area and Denver is sure to pick out a weakness there.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

thanks for the shout mb and eng.                                                                                        any of ya'll tried the draft simulator? i went agaisnt the fans only so far. did 2 rounds only. took nix and niklas. wanted ealy in rd 1 he went 16. will go against teh pro sites another day. i we dont get a pass rusher in fa, thats what im looking for most. then the best te. dts, o line, cover lb, safety(best player alwasy an option but have to be outstanding to ignore need esp re first 2 positions).

peace

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Hey Bredbru, glad your back. I agree on draft BPA if needs are met in FA, would like to see NE sign Pat Sims, DT from Oakland.  Young and stout better than the young DTs we have.  Iguess they need to figure out the VW situation. I would like a coverage LB also, maybe a TE and DE/OLB.  Robert Ayers would be good on a prove it deal.  Let's see what happens.

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Hey Bredbru, glad your back. I agree on draft BPA if needs are met in FA, would like to see NE sign Pat Sims, DT from Oakland.  Young and stout better than the young DTs we have.  Iguess they need to figure out the VW situation. I would like a coverage LB also, maybe a TE and DE/OLB.  Robert Ayers would be good on a prove it deal.  Let's see what happens.

thanks jj. here a bit at moment. i like your plans/thougths. and prefer fa before the draft ie your 2 moves (freeing up the draft).

In response to bredbru's comment:

thanks for the shout mb and eng.                                                                                        any of ya'll tried the draft simulator? i went agaisnt the fans only so far. did 2 rounds only. took nix and niklas. wanted ealy in rd 1 he went 16. will go against teh pro sites another day. i we dont get a pass rusher in fa, thats what im looking for most. then the best te. dts, o line, cover lb, safety(best player alwasy an option but have to be outstanding to ignore need esp re first 2 positions).

peace

against optimum scouting i got ealy, then daqaun jones (niklas gone). had to choose between jones and swanson. if we get  a good dt in fa maybe wouldve gone swanson if the tes i wanted were gone). will try one more against walter fb when get a chance.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Wondering if Trent Murphy will be available when we pick in first round. He is not the DL stud I am wanting most but he could rotate with Nink and add depth at DE/OLB. ANd he might be able to rush inside on passing downs.

On TEs - Personally I hope they get a solid all around TE who is a strong blocker. I want a guy who adds to the running game but without mortaging the passing game AND can step in as #1 TE if Gronk is out.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

peace

against optimum scouting i got ealy, then daqaun jones (niklas gone). had to choose between jones and swanson. if we get  a good dt in fa maybe wouldve gone swanson if the tes i wanted were gone). will try one more against walter fb when get a chance.

Can you paste the link for this draft simulator?

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:

Kelvin Benjamin would make an immediate impact on the Pats. Other than the straight ahead speed, he reminds me of Megatron.

Would not mind at all using #29 on him.

A definite matchup nightmare with a ton of upside.  If he can catch the ball more consistently, look out.

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:

I keep forgetting about will sutton DT Arizona State, such a sleeper pick his stock has fallen. Would love to draft him in the later rounds. Also Kelcy Quarles South Carolina DT and btw, his uncle is the one and only Ben Coates :) 

Just don't know where Sutton fits.  He was a better player when he played at a lighter weight... has some quickness and ability... but not somebody that I'd want on the interior of the defense.

Quarles I like though... good size and length... has some raw power and the ability to disrupt.

In response to kezzamuzza's comment:

MB

Echoing CanPat thoughts with Fletcher and Spikes gone and Chandler Jones and Nink playing most snaps, how do you think we should move forward eg Buchanan, Collins , Beauharnais are they enough? Particularly in covering the field ie TE's.

If not considering our current DT situation what are the best options? 

DT that can play DE, cover LB's etc? Bit worried we haven't picked up a bit of experience in that area and Denver is sure to pick out a weakness there.

They should be able to land a quality DT at some point on the first couple days of the draft and there are a few mid round kids that could contribute as well.  Good to have Kelly back and hopefully he can remain healthy.  Interesting to see how the VW scencario plays out (don't need to rush things at this point) and who's available when the camp cuts are made by other teams.

I would like to see them add some depth to DE and LB, yes... and I do think Beauharnais will get a shot to show what he can do, now that he has a year in the system under his belt.

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Wondering if Trent Murphy will be available when we pick in first round. He is not the DL stud I am wanting most but he could rotate with Nink and add depth at DE/OLB. ANd he might be able to rush inside on passing downs.

On TEs - Personally I hope they get a solid all around TE who is a strong blocker. I want a guy who adds to the running game but without mortaging the passing game AND can step in as #1 TE if Gronk is out.

I'd expect Murphy to be available at the end of Rd 1 if they want him there, yes.  There's also an outside shot that he could be avialable near the end of Rd 2, though I think he's prob off the board in the Top 50 or so.  Good length and triangle #'s, huge hands, was disruptive last season.  Give Lousiville's Marcus Smith and Utah's Trevor Reilly a look as well.  Smith is one of the more underrated players in this class, IMO and a realistic option for them on Day 2... Reilly is a tough, try hard type kid with good size, length and versatility and should be off the board at some point within the Top 75.

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Another day down!51 more days until the draft!

Can't f'n wait!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

What's their plan for the middle of that OL, I thought they would had brought someone in.  At OC I think someone who gets the protection calls right is key, I don't know they will give that too a Rook so would have to assume Connolly back at OC where I think he's a better fit.

If you put cannon at OG then there's not depth.  I know we are looking at DT and TE which we do but we need OG/OC play as bad as DT play.

What's their plan for the middle of that OL, I thought they would had brought someone in.  At OC I think someone who gets the protection calls right is key, I don't know they will give that too a Rook so would have to assume Connolly back at OC where I think he's a better fit.

If you put cannon at OG then there's not depth.  I know we are looking at DT and TE which we do but we need OG/OC play as bad as DT play.

I'd bet that they feel confident that they can beef up the interior OL in the draft, and I'd agree with them on that.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I'd bet that they feel confident that they can beef up the interior OL in the draft, and I'd agree with them on that.

Only player I wanted them to offer on the OL is Alex Mac, but most likely the Browns with all their cap $$ would had been able to match or better NE's offer.

But thought they would bring in a vet type not to be forced in the draft to take a need rather than BPA

Only player I wanted them to offer on the OL is Alex Mac, but most likely the Browns with all their cap $$ would had been able to match or better NE's offer.

But thought they would bring in a vet type not to be forced in the draft to take a need rather than BPA

Yeah, I just don't see them allocating much more $ to the interior of the OL, considering they're already paying Mankins well.  They've gotten by on mid/late round/URFA type OC's for a while and I'd expect them to stay on that route.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Hey Bredbru, been coming to this site for a few years before the draft to get myself ready and be informed before the big day.  Enjoy all the guys here so much in the know about players...I've been wondering where you were.  You're usually one of the most upbeat guys here.  Looking forward to your views on this draft. 

• Sections
    Shortcuts