***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

Dream draft for me:

1st rd (29) DE Kony Ealy

- 3 man weave at DE with Jones, Ealy and Nink is very solid and keeps all rested. Nink creates fumbles and is solid in the run. Jones can breakout and have 14-17 sacks with Ealy a legit 3 down 6-8 sack guy as a rookie.

2nd rd **TRADE** (38-52 range) TE Jace Amaro or Austin Sefarian Jenkins

- Pats are in win now mode and Amaro could slip. Trade a 2015 1st rd pick and our 6th/7th rd picks for a 2nd. Grab one of these guys to take the pressue of Gronk, who needs to come back 100% and not play 95% of the snaps and be the only option at TE. 

2nd rd (62) C Travis Swanson or Weston Richberg

- Move Connolly back to C to justify his salary. Richburg (and Connolly obviously) can also play guard. Both Swanson and Richberg are leaders and 4 year starters who could start here right away but at the least would be the long-term center from '15 on. 6'3"-6'4" 300lb guys.

3rd rd **TRADE** (65) MLB Shayne Skov

- I want this guy to upgrade Fletcher and with Hightower taking a lot of Spikes role, give us the depth to play a 3-4 from time to time. Trade Mallett and Kenbrell Thompkins for the Texans 3rd and 5th rd picks.

3rd rd (93) QB A.J. McCarron 

- With Mallett no longer Brady's apprentice, and TB having 2 more very good to great years in him and 2 more good years left (4 years under contract) the Pats bring in McCarron as the new understudy who could actually be the QB of the future and isn't a 2015 free agent like Mallett.

4th rd NT DaQuan Jones or DT Daniel McCullers

- McCullers is a raw but gigantic tackle and Jones is a bit smaller but more able to play right away. Both can learn behind Vince. Use our 6th rd pick to move up if possible and make sure we get one of these two guys as Vince is 33 and we'll need that legit (but hard to find) NT type for many years.

5th rd OLB Michael Sam

- Transition to the NFL as 1st openly gay player is easier with college teammate Ealy here and owner Robert Kraft publicly backing him. Had 11.5 sacks last year and can be used in tandem with the run stuffing/fumble creating Ninkovich at OLB when the team switches and plays a 3-4, Nink and Ealy play in tandem when the team is in a 4-3. Could be just a depth guy fighting for a job with Buchanon during camp though. Would look bad if we cut him....

6th rd (from Eagles)

- If not traded to move up in rd 4 add the best available guy. Some depth at safety would be useful.

That is my current list of how I hope things go.

Defense: DE, DT/NT, OLB, ILB (major front 7 help)

Offense: TE, C and QB

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to mcboyd22's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lets assume for argument, we get Vince under contract (which in my mind means BB and Bob Kraft see him as able to play this year) and Tommy Kelly. 

How would that change your draft? 

We would now have added two corners and have decent backups in the secondary. We get Mayo back, so we would have Hightower, Mayo, and Collins. We lost Spikes, so we could need some LB help. 

We could possibly wait until round 4 and get Daniel McCullers at D-Tackle. 

I would spend a first round on Kelvin Benjamin, a second round on best interior lineman available and a third round on CJ Federowitz. 

Pick up Andre Williams from BC in the 4th to replace Blount. 

What would you do?

[/QUOTE]

I have no interest in McCullers. That would be a waste of a pick.

[/QUOTE]

How about Kelcy Quarles.. love this kid to be on the pats.

[/QUOTE]

McCullers, I do not like because he has low impact.

Quarles, I like, a lot. He's got good length. What I like most is that he is a DT that the Pats seem to have been missing -- one who can penetrate/push the pocket to create interior pressure. His play looks good to the eye, and his stats seem to confirm that. Among the DTs he has the second most sacks, behind only to Donald. His TFL numbers is also high for a DT. But what is itneresting is that it consistently climbed over the last three years. We may even not have seen his best yet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to minnypat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

as of now I am dreaming of Ealy, Bitonio, CJ and either rb Storm Johnson or Dakota Dozier in the 4th. And one of Blanchflower, AC Leanord or Joe Don Duncan in 5th or 6th. And my man Walt Aiken in the 7th.

I also want a trade the gets us another pick in the 2nd where we take Attaocho. I'd even give up our 1st in 2015 to get an extra RD two pick. Attaochu is that good. And an extra 3rd where we take DeQuan Jones or Kelcey Quarles.

I also want a young wife (who doesn't speak english) and a Harley.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe some Brazilian twins.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

With all these names out there that they have sneaking into the first round, a guy that was mentioned lately is Jeremiah Attaochu. I like him, I think any team that gets him from pick 22-32 is getting a pretty good prospect - certainly better than some of the names landing in those spots recently. I think this kid is climbing up draft boards. Anyone else impressed with this kid? Too me he has good outside 34 size, he bends around that edge, he's got long arms and he's fast. He's not a push over, stick type that needs to add 20 pounds and most likely will lose his speed because of it...he looks like he could play right now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

I've heard a lot about Attaochu in the last week or so on this - curious what created the fury. Did he have a great pro day or what? 

I may be wrong but I don't remember us talking about him during the college season. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

I've heard a lot about Attaochu in the last week or so on this - curious what created the fury. Did he have a great pro day or what? 

I may be wrong but I don't remember us talking about him during the college season. 

[/QUOTE]

He's been pretty solid during the college season. The all-star games was where he really started tog et noticed and reviews on him has gained momentum since.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Thanks - looks like his pro day is Friday - he was injured and didn't do the combine. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I just read about him in a mock draft and then watched a few games of him, he looks better than some of the defensive players slated to go between 22-32, in my opinion.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

NE receives a 4th rd comp pick.  Nice!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With all these names out there that they have sneaking into the first round, a guy that was mentioned lately is Jeremiah Attaochu. I like him, I think any team that gets him from pick 22-32 is getting a pretty good prospect - certainly better than some of the names landing in those spots recently. I think this kid is climbing up draft boards. Anyone else impressed with this kid? Too me he has good outside 34 size, he bends around that edge, he's got long arms and he's fast. He's not a push over, stick type that needs to add 20 pounds and most likely will lose his speed because of it...he looks like he could play right now.

[/QUOTE]

I really like Attaochu too.  MB brought him up a week or so ago.  Tons of upside.  I could see him flying up draft boards as the draft nears, similar to Chandler Jones a few years ago.  Hard to say whether he will be available at 29, but he would certainly be a solid pick there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

NE receives a 4th rd comp pick.  Nice!

I was expecting a 5th round comp pick but the 4rth is way better as it comes at the end of round 4 , meaning the Patriots actually don't need a fifth they just moved from hoping for 5th round comp to getting the first pick in the 5th round as the 4th round pick is the last of the 4th round. 29 spots!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I really like Attaochu too.  MB brought him up a week or so ago.  Tons of upside.  I could see him flying up draft boards as the draft nears, similar to Chandler Jones a few years ago.  Hard to say whether he will be available at 29, but he would certainly be a solid pick there.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree. It's funny how there's always a few guys who start climbing up the charts a few weeks before the draft...once the workouts and film gets reevaluated things start to change a little bit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree. It's funny how there's always a few guys who start climbing up the charts a few weeks before the draft...once the workouts and film gets reevaluated things start to change a little bit.

[/QUOTE]

Yep.  Attaochu seems like he might be one of this year's late risers.  Ultimatley, in a league starving for pass-rushers, I kind of doubt that he will be there at 29.  I think someone will take a chance on that talent around #20 or so.  At the same time, however, that could help a guy like Nix drop to us.  Never can tell what will happen.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3979481. Show user_3979481's posts

We got an extra 4th!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yep.  Attaochu seems like he might be one of this year's late risers.  Ultimatley, in a league starving for pass-rushers, I kind of doubt that he will be there at 29.  I think someone will take a chance on that talent around #20 or so.  At the same time, however, that could help a guy like Nix drop to us.  Never can tell what will happen.

[/QUOTE]

Just saw Pat Kirwan's Mock, he as NE taking Crichton.  What do you think about him?

(12-4)Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State: The Patriots need help up front. When I watched Crichton's tapes, I noticed he plays with great effort all the time. He can do some of the things Rob Ninkovich does for the Patriots.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

A 4th round comp pick boys, in this draft that's like a mid 3rd rnd?  that's 2 rounds higher than I thought.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just saw Pat Kirwan's Mock, he as NE taking Crichton.  What do you think about him?

(12-4)Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State: The Patriots need help up front. When I watched Crichton's tapes, I noticed he plays with great effort all the time. He can do some of the things Rob Ninkovich does for the Patriots.

[/QUOTE]

I'm torn on DE, while getting a stud would be a plus, I'm pretty high on Buchanan.  He had a rough senior season in part due to loosing 20lbs then off to work out for combine ect.  If there's one player who will benefit from this year's workouts is him.

This was a player that after his junior year was thought to be a possible day one or two pick but wheels fell off.  

And then there's Bequette, I was very happy when he was drafted.  Saw him play in the SEC nothing spectacular but got sacks by never letting up.  Not sure why he just hasn't been able to get better but this is due or die for him, at this point anything out of him will be a plus but not really expecting him to be on the roster day 1 specially if armstead and buchanan are healthy

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

And the good news on the comp pick is... they can't trade it, so it could be one of the few times where they pick, when we're expecting them to pick, haha.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Pat's 7393, you may be right. I still would like to draft someone in this draft.

From Illinois to the Patriots: The Utilization of Rookie Michael Buchanan

How could No. 99 Michael Buchanan stand apart with the New England Patriots? (Photo: Oliver Thomas)

NEPD Staff Writer: Oliver Thomas

Former University of Illinois pass-rusher Michael Buchanan was once projected as a third-round NFL draft selection. That projection was merely a projection, though. Instead of hearing his name called on April 25 or April 26, No. 99 had to wait until the afternoon of April 27 to see his name next to a team on the television screen.

That team was the New England Patriots, who took a flier on the 6’6”, 255-pounder during the seventh and final round of the draft, pick 226 overall.

Now given his late-round status, Buchanan is no lock to make New England’s 53-man roster. After all, he is one of eight men currently in training camp battling for a spot off the edge. And because of that, the 22-year-old will have to prove to head coach Bill Belichick that he’s worth retaining.

If he can resemble the productivity of his 2011 campaign, where he notched 64 total tackles, 13.5 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks, the decision will be an easy one. If he can showcase his 4.78 40- time and 6.91 three-cone time at game speed, the decision will be even easier.

But for Buchanan — like all newcomers — it’s not about previous success or athletic measurables; it’s about finding a fit for the present and future.

With that in mind, where could Buchanan fit in New England’s multifaceted defensive front? In an effort to find out, I turned to DraftBreakdown.com to take note of where and how he was utilized during his days with the Fighting Illini.

4-3 Defensive End

Buchanan saw plenty of reps on the edge of the defensive line when at Illinois. Although most of  his triumphs came from turning the corner, Buchanan fought through gaps when he was designed to as well.

Versus Penn State on Sept. 29, 2012, he was designed to.

As the Nittany Lions functioned out of “11” personnel with a running back and a tight end, Buchanan bared down from the right end position in the 4-down sub-package defense.

As Penn state quarterback Matt McGloin took the snap from shotgun, Buchanan cut inside the B-gap of the line.

With the left tackle yielding his inside shoulder, Buchanan extended his arms, kept his pad level low and maintained leg drive.

The left tackle was left turned around as a result, while Buchanan was left to get in McGloin’s face.

Sensing the heat, McGloin fired the ball downfield to escape the sack. The pass ended in an incompletion — not a sack — but it was a win for the defense, nonetheless.

Buchanan did bench 22 reps of 225 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine. But when compared to most 4-3 NFL defensive ends, he looks rather lean. Fortunately for him — and the Patriots — he’s not afraid to knife through the interior.

3-4 Defensive End

Buchanan never has been — and never will be — a natural 3-4 defensive end. Nevertheless, he still did manage to make plays from that spot during his time at Illinois.

Against Western Michigan on Sept. 1, 2012, Buchanan didn’t necessarily bulldoze the Broncos’ offensive line from the three-down defensive end spot. He did, however, come away with an impressive play of a different sort.

Facing a five-wide formation, Buchanan put his arm on the ground as a right end in the seven-technique.

After the ball was snapped, Buchanan bull rushed the B-gap of the line. Despite forging ahead, he maintained focus on quarterback Alex Carder’s eyes.

As Carder readied his throw, Buchanan pushed off his blocks and changed field. He dropped back, remaining square to the line of scrimmage.

Anticipating the release, Buchanan leaped up and used his 34-inch arms to bat down the ball and net an incomplete pass. Thud.

Buchanan showed well in a role not designed for him. He didn’t make the play from the five-technique, but he did read the quarterback. He did use his instincts. He did react rapidly and he did disrupt the throw.

During the third day of training camp practice on July 28, Buchanan told colleague James Christensen about the importance of using his long arms to his advantage.

He certainly did just that in 2012, recording five pass deflections as a senior.

3-4 Outside Linebacker

Most of Buchanan’s snaps came in the “Bandit” role under former Illinois defensive coordinator and interim head coach Vic Koenning. As a “Bandit,” Buchanan was essentially hybrid defensive end and linebacker who set the edge and rushed the passer.

He was proficient in those duties, too, making the most of the trio of down linemen abutting him. Case in point: Sept. 22, 2012 versus Louisiana Tech.

Buchanan stood up outside the Bulldogs’ left tackle. And with four wide receivers on the field, he didn’t hesitate to exploit the offense’s “10” personnel.

Off the snap, Buchanan used his lateral agility to run the arc around the outside shoulder of Louisiana Tech’s blindside blocker. With the other four offensive linemen engaged and the halfback out of the backfield, the C-gap was open.

Buchanan continued his pursuit, surpassing the tackle and finding the open runway towards quarterback Colby Cameron.

As Buchanan got within arm’s distance of Cameron, the quarterback’s primary concern was no longer the route-runners downfield; it was the silent burst of the defender right behind him.

Buchanan’s quick first step, explosion off the line, effective swim move and downhill speed make him a very dangerous “Bandit.” And seeing how the experienced starter is carved in a long, lanky mold, that’s likely where he’s best suited to play in the NFL right now.

That being said, college offensive linemen aren’t NFL offensive linemen. They’re not as athletic, they’re not as big and they’re not as strong. So for Buchanan, it will be about more than beating his man to the corner or redirecting through the guards; it will be about beating his man in the leverage battle and taking better paths to the ball-carrier.

Buchanan is long-armed. He displays good form and second effort. He’s not afraid to get physical, either. Yet due to his thin frame, the common belief is that he will need to add some girth in order to see extensive reps at defensive end.

There’s a lot to like about his versatility. He isn’t a stranger to setting up in three-man fronts, four-man fronts or off the line. That dexterity saw Buchanan practice with both defensive ends and linebackers through the beginning days of Patriots camp.

Nevertheless, he’s striving to find his niche. And as a seventh-round rookie, he’ll play wherever he’s asked to. In the NFL game, Buchanan may not be as much of a volatile presence in finishing plays. But at least he’s familiar with finishing plays.

And he’s familiar in doing so from a variety of positions.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pat's 7393, you may be right. I still would like to draft someone in this draft.

[/QUOTE]

Nice post jj, in interest of space lol I cleared out.

I'm rooting for the kid, a dumb move costed him a wired shut jaw lol  He can play in space and his weaknesses IMO can be coached.  He has the tools, if he can get that strength back and get the weight back to where he's conforatable this could be one of nice stories next season.

I still think without counting on Bequette you have CJ, RN, Buchanan and still need some depth but don't know i spend the 1st round on one specially if Tuitt is there.

I'm almost all in on Tuitt being the pick right now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I like buchanon as well. I think he,could develop into a nice rotational player for us. Don't feel the same for baguette. i wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the cut this year.

i see lots of interest in Ealy, Attaochu aNd Crichton. I think Ealy and Attaochu will go in round 1. If they do, is it everyone's expectation they will start? If they do, can you see either supplanting nink? 

PI wouldn't take a de in round 1 unless he will play over nink or seriously content for playing time with him. I would rather tuitt, Hageman, another DT

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like buchanon as well. I think he,could develop into a nice rotational player for us. Don't feel the same for baguette. i wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the cut this year.

i see lots of interest in Ealy, Attaochu aNd Crichton. I think Ealy and Attaochu will go in round 1. If they do, is it everyone's expectation they will start? If they do, can you see either supplanting nink? 

PI wouldn't take a de in round 1 unless he will play over nink or seriously content for playing time with him. I would rather tuitt, Hageman, another DT

[/QUOTE]

I think they've done a good job filling some holes in FA and have left themselves in a position where they can target BPA.

I also think they're very thin on the edge (like you I'm higher on Buchanan than Bequette) and have room to added pass rush talent that can rotate in and/or give them more schematic/situational flexibility/versatility.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm torn on DE, while getting a stud would be a plus, I'm pretty high on Buchanan.  He had a rough senior season in part due to loosing 20lbs then off to work out for combine ect.  If there's one player who will benefit from this year's workouts is him.

This was a player that after his junior year was thought to be a possible day one or two pick but wheels fell off.  

And then there's Bequette, I was very happy when he was drafted.  Saw him play in the SEC nothing spectacular but got sacks by never letting up.  Not sure why he just hasn't been able to get better but this is due or die for him, at this point anything out of him will be a plus but not really expecting him to be on the roster day 1 specially if armstead and buchanan are healthy

[/QUOTE]

I think he looks like a third round pick at best. I saw Kirwan's mock draft too and let me say this..anyone that puts Eric Ebron outside the top 15 is out of touch with reality. In fact the mocks with him going in the top ten are mocks I think are more realistic.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

Draft teks latest Patriot mock (note: will change due to comp picks but I thought it was interesting anyway)

1. Ealy

2. Skov

3. CJF

4. Carrethers

6. Sunseri

6. Corey Linsley

7. Eric Ward

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

I think he looks like a third round pick at best. I saw Kirwan's mock draft too and let me say this..anyone that puts Eric Ebron outside the top 15 is out of touch with reality. In fact the mocks with him going in the top ten are mocks I think are more realistic.

[/QUOTE

I agree. IMO for teams that are looking to add weapons, one of best ways to raise passing output is a good receiving option down the middle -- perhaps better than getting a WR. I like Ebron over any WR not named Watkins. I just can't see Ebron getting past DET, BUF and NYJ.

Sections
Shortcuts