I thought I would post a few random thoughts about this year's draft this morning...
1) Louis Nix III will not be there at 29. I know his stock has been falling, but there is just too much talent there for him to last that long. SD at 25 is as far as he falls.
We see this every year a top end player suddenly has all these issues that people are concerned about prior to the draft but they never drop as much as we think they would. It's all a game with teams hoping the player would drop to them leak certain concerns like Nix's knees. I agree he's gone before the Pats pick
2) Austin Seferian-Jenkins will go in the 1st round, and possibly to NE. I know his stock seems to be down due to a sub-par 2013, but that skillset is very tantalizing, and there is so much to work with there. I think BB could be very interested. Don't be shocked if we take him, and he could even go before #29.
Not a big ASJ fan. I like Niklas or CJ better frankly.
3) NE will not draft Colt Lyerla. No explanation needed here.
Agreed. After Kraft put his foot down on Britt (imo Kraft went public to make sure BB didn't make him an offer) I can't see them taking Lyerla
4) Ryan Mallet will not get traded. I've been saying all along that he will be a Patriot in 2014, and I'll stand by that. I don't think any other teams have much interest, anyway.
I agree but only because of the latter is true not as much that the Pats want to keep him. The few teams I saw that could have interest (Hou, Cle, Min) all took different paths this offseason. If the Pats got a 2nd or a high 3rd I think they would have taken it and run. Mallett was an investment to cash in on later. Next year they aren't going to get anything for him when he leaves so if the chance presented itself imo they would have taken it and draft a replacement this year. Heck they still might draft a replacement this year knowing Mallett is gone next season.
5) Shayne Skov is the player in this draft who I think is the most likely to be drafted by NE. Smart, instinctive LB, right up BB's alley. Could go at #62, #96, or somewhere in between due to a trade, but I bet BB has his sights set on him.
Very well could be it's hard for me to think they would draft a LB that early though with more pressing matters on both lines and TE
6) Bruce Elliongton will be gone before our pick in the 3rd round. I really want this guy, but I bet someone will fall in love with his skills and take him in the 3rd.
Another very well could be. I remember Cobb being talked about as a 3rd round pick and he ended up in the 2nd
7) NE will draft a QB with their 4th round Comp Pick. Hey, and 2001 Comp Pick QB worked out pretty good, right? Why not do it again? Could be Murry, Mettenberger, or Savage from Pitt.
And this would be a reason to trade Mallett heck even for a 4th. If you are planning to spend a pick on a QB anyway it makes sense to get a pick prior to the point you plan on drafting a QB to have that extra player.
8) Amaro will fall into the mid-to-late 2nd. A lot to like with him, but those small, 9" hands may scare teams away from taking him early.
I can see this. Imo it's going to be either Niklas or Amaro will go early-mid 2nd and the other will go mid-late 2nd
9) Jeremiah Attaochu will rocket up draft boards as the draft nears, similar to what Chandler Jones did in 2012. I think he will ultimately be a Top 25 Pick. In a league starving for pass-rushers, he could be a very good one. Someone will roll the dice on him earlier than expected.
I can see him sneaking into the 1st but there are some pretty good OLB's and DE's infront of him. He's very fast and athletic but to me he's not a teir one player like Clowney, Barr, Mack and you can have a healthy debate on who's the top of the second teir of Murphy, Crichton, Ford, Ealy
10) NE will not trade out of the 1st round this year. They won't trade up, either. I think they stay at 29 and make a pick. I think teams will be pretty stingy with their mid-round picks this year since the draft is so deep, and I don't think BB will be able to find a decent deal to move back. Also, we gained that valuable 4th round Comp Pick, so I think BB will be satisfied with the number of picks that he has this year.
If they get a chance to trade out I think they will. I don't think BB likes that spot to pick and listening to him talk about the draft you get the sense that unless he feels the player is a top 20 player that he might have a pool of 6 21-60 players and just as long as he gets one of those players he's happy. Hence why you see he fall back to that mid 2nd range so often. Now this year I hope is different and he stays put to target 1 or 2 players instead of a pool of 6 but knowing BB he most likely won't change that anytime soon.
What do you guys think? Am I off my rocker with these thoughts?