Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***
posted at 3/26/2014 11:46 AM EDT
I thought I would post a few random thoughts about this year's draft this morning...
1) Louis Nix III will not be there at 29. I know his stock has been falling, but there is just too much talent there for him to last that long. SD at 25 is as far as he falls.
2) Austin Seferian-Jenkins will go in the 1st round, and possibly to NE. I know his stock seems to be down due to a sub-par 2013, but that skillset is very tantalizing, and there is so much to work with there. I think BB could be very interested. Don't be shocked if we take him, and he could even go before #29.
3) NE will not draft Colt Lyerla. No explanation needed here.
4) Ryan Mallet will not get traded. I've been saying all along that he will be a Patriot in 2014, and I'll stand by that. I don't think any other teams have much interest, anyway.
5) Shayne Skov is the player in this draft who I think is the most likely to be drafted by NE. Smart, instinctive LB, right up BB's alley. Could go at #62, #96, or somewhere in between due to a trade, but I bet BB has his sights set on him.
6) Bruce Elliongton will be gone before our pick in the 3rd round. I really want this guy, but I bet someone will fall in love with his skills and take him in the 3rd.
7) NE will draft a QB with their 4th round Comp Pick. Hey, and 2001 Comp Pick QB worked out pretty good, right? Why not do it again? Could be Murry, Mettenberger, or Savage from Pitt.
8) Amaro will fall into the mid-to-late 2nd. A lot to like with him, but those small, 9" hands may scare teams away from taking him early.
9) Jeremiah Attaochu will rocket up draft boards as the draft nears, similar to what Chandler Jones did in 2012. I think he will ultimately be a Top 25 Pick. In a league starving for pass-rushers, he could be a very good one. Someone will roll the dice on him earlier than expected.
10) NE will not trade out of the 1st round this year. They won't trade up, either. I think they stay at 29 and make a pick. I think teams will be pretty stingy with their mid-round picks this year since the draft is so deep, and I don't think BB will be able to find a decent deal to move back. Also, we gained that valuable 4th round Comp Pick, so I think BB will be satisfied with the number of picks that he has this year.
What do you guys think? Am I off my rocker with these thoughts?