***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Manziel falls to the 29th pick, you have to think about it if I were the Pats. Never happen, but crazy things happen with QB's in the Draft.

[/QUOTE]

Ii guess I have to agree...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So after the announced Manziel visit, the Patriots announce they will be hosting Bridgewater today as well. Somethings up! This could just be due dilligence, but these visits have an aroma to them.

[/QUOTE]

Yup... when we play either of them in the next couple of years we will have had a closer look at their game...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Pats7393's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Cody Latimer (6-2 215 / 9 5/8 inch hands) with 40 times of 4.44 and 4.45 at his pro day... he also had a 39 in vert, to go along with his 23 reps @ 225, which was the most of any WR at the combine.  No 3C/SS times that I can find.

I've said it before, I like him better than Aaron Dobson at the same stage and would have no problem if BB/NC/ML/GS were to take him in Rd 2... steal in Rd 3, IMO.

[/QUOTE]

I still take Norwood lol

[/QUOTE]

I like Norwood, I just like Latimer more than Norwood.

[/QUOTE]

I'm other way around, like them both just Norwood more than Latimer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Brett Keisel has always been a high effort D-lineman and I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on him for some low dollars - 1 year deal. We have a lot of questions on the d-line. 

I always respected the way he played for Pittsburgh - 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brett Keisel has always been a high effort D-lineman and I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on him for some low dollars - 1 year deal. We have a lot of questions on the d-line. 

[/QUOTE]

And he might grow the best beard on earth.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Posted this in wrong thread,

Was looking at what it looks like right now of players on the roster, there aren't a lot of spots open.  I have 52 of 53 but can see where at least 5 players could be upgraded.

Standing out to me, (not taking injuries ect just roster spots) 

LB

TE ( I added Mark Harrison to TEs not WRs)

WR if those guys make the jump, pretty good group

DE no depth, not help unless Buchanan turns into what I think he will this year but still no depth.

S HELP!!! lol

OL quality help there

QB - Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett 2

FB - James Develin 1

RB - Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Brandon Bolden 3

TE - Rob Gronk, M. Hooma, D.J. Williams, Mark Harrison 4

WR - D. Amandola, J. Edelman, A. Dobson, B. LaFell, K. Thompkins, J. Boyce 6

OT - N. Solder, S. Vollmer, M. Cannon 3

OG - L. Mankins, D. Connolly, C. Barker, J. Kline 4

OC - R. Wendell 1  

DE - C. Jones, R. Nink, M. Buchanan, J. Bequette 4

DT - V. Wilfork, T. Kelly, S. Siliga, A. Armstead, J. Vellano, C. Jones 6

LB - J. Mayo, D. Hightower, J. Collins, S. Beau 4

CB - D. Revis, B. Browner, L. Ryan, A Dennard, K. Arrington, J. Green 6

S - D. McCourty, D. Harmon, N. Ebner, T. Wilson 4  

ST - S. Ghost, R. Allen, D. Aiken, M. Slater

So long story short, I think Pats should at least come out with 6 players from the draft that need to be an upgrade over current roster.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mcboyd22's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And he might grow the best beard on earth.

[/QUOTE]

Wow. If that was white, that would be a perfect santa beard - just like it is usually drawn.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Sorry... this long wait has me so bored now

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

Standing out to me, (not taking injuries ect just roster spots) 

LB

TE ( I added Mark Harrison to TEs not WRs)

WR if those guys make the jump, pretty good group

DE no depth, not help unless Buchanan turns into what I think he will this year but still no depth.

S HELP!!! lol

OL quality help there

QB - Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett 2

FB - James Develin 1

RB - Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Brandon Bolden 3

TE - Rob Gronk, M. Hooma, D.J. Williams, Mark Harrison 4

WR - D. Amandola, J. Edelman, A. Dobson, B. LaFell, K. Thompkins, J. Boyce 6

OT - N. Solder, S. Vollmer, M. Cannon 3

OG - L. Mankins, D. Connolly, C. Barker, J. Kline 4

OC - R. Wendell 1  

DE - C. Jones, R. Nink, M. Buchanan, J. Bequette 4

DT - V. Wilfork, T. Kelly, S. Siliga, A. Armstead, J. Vellano, C. Jones 6

LB - J. Mayo, D. Hightower, J. Collins, S. Beau 4

CB - D. Revis, B. Browner, L. Ryan, A Dennard, K. Arrington, J. Green 6

S - D. McCourty, D. Harmon, N. Ebner, T. Wilson 4  

ST - S. Ghost, R. Allen, D. Aiken, M. Slater

So long story short, I think Pats should at least come out with 6 players from the draft that need to be an upgrade over current roster.

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, injuries are all part of the season. Everyone knows that.

Start with the OL:

How would the O look if Mankins goes down. He's pretty old. You don't know how long he will hold up. Almost like the VW situation.

Solder and Vollmer... do we expect them to make it through the entire year? Vollmer in particular.

And Wendell... With Scar gone, having him start at C is pretty scary I think. Probably the first thing I would upgrade when it comes to the OL.

Receiving Options:

I think six receivers is a lot. I am resigned to the idea that Amendola will never play more than 10 games again. I hope I am wrong. And I also hope that Boyce fully recovers and makes the leap I have been expecting from him. If so, I'd say KT is the odd man out, unless Donson stagnates.

Four TEs is plenty too. The only reason you feel they need that depth there is Gronk cannot be relied upon to being healthy all year and after him, there is nobody good. Hooma I think should stay. We'll see if Williams clicks. I say Harrison here is a square peg trying get in a round hole.

RB:

Look at your three names. Again, is it really smart to plan around the idea that any of those guys will last the season and ready to play in the playoffs?

DT:

Six is one too many I believe. At most they should carry 5. Siliga deserves a spot. Kelly, I think fully recovers. VW to me is there, at this point, more out of loyalty (I have doubts he will play his heart out for the Pats again). Of Armstead, Jones and Vellano, I think they should keep one. Then draft a DT in the first two days.

DE:

I think they need to just cut bait on Bequette. There should be a better DE available in the third or fourth. Amazingly, Walterfootball is mocking Marcus Smith going in the fourth (106). Wow. That is a very quick DE (Quicker than Jones or Nink) who I've seen drop back and do okay. You might be hitting two birds with one stone with this guy.

The secondary looks really good. They could add a tone-setting SS, but I don't think it would be a big deal if they don't. And maybe, you use Browner as one every now and then.

My preference for positions they draft, in no particular order...

DT, C, OG/OT, TE, DE/OLB

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would be very happy if the Pats got any one of these guys with their first pick..

TE Eric Ebron

DT Ra Shede Hageman

S Calvin Pryor

S Ha Ha Clinton Dix

LB CJ Mosley

OLB Ryan Shazier

NT Louis Nix

CB Jason Verrett (look out Kyle Arrington)

CB Kyle Fuller

TE Troy Niklas

[/QUOTE]

They prob have no shot at Ebron, Pryor, Clinton-Dix or Mosley.

Potential chance at Nix, though I think he's gone too.

I think you're looking at Shazier, Hageman, Verrett or Fuller.

I like Niklas in Rd 2.

[/QUOTE]

Some mocks have the Ravens taking a Safety at 17 and taking either Dix or Pryor and then the other is available for the Pats at #29.

Also I noticed the only teams possibly looking for a TE in round 1 are the Steelers and Giants.  If they go a different direction Ebron could be available at #29.

I would love 1 of those 3.  If not available then I would be more then happy with Shazier or Hageman at 29.

I don't think  Niklas will be available at #62.  If the Pats trade back with their 1st rnd pick then its possible they could get Niklas early in the 2nd.  If not, then it's possible Amaro would be available at #62.  Not very excited about Amaro's showing at the combine but his game highlights look good. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Fresh mocks on cbssports somehow have Pryor dropping to pick 29. wow that would be something to say the least.

He's my number 1 if he falls.

Realisitically I think this could be a trade back kind of year with the best TE value in the 40s probably... then go DT Rd. 2 (DaQuan Jones or dominque easley if teams let him drop)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fresh mocks on cbssports somehow have Pryor dropping to pick 29. wow that would be something to say the least.

Realisitically I think this could be a trade back kind of year with the best TE value in the 40s probably... then go DT Rd. 2 (DaQuan Jones or dominque easley if teams let him drop)

[/QUOTE]

yeah I don't think that kid is dropping out of top 20.

One safety I think Pats could be going after is Dixon, just makes too much sense.  Has play that hybrid LB/S role as well as full time down hill thumper S.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

CBS is certainly becoming the optimists place to reference a mock, haha.  Pryor or Mosley... home run either way you look at it.

Again... I'd be doing this in my living room... but the realist in me doesn't see either being available, ha.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

I'm still holding out hope on benjamin where do they have him drafted? Brady needs another weapon I'm to worried gronk, amendola, edelman, Dobson, Boyce will get hurt. Brady needs a top WR this year. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Tuitt's stress fracture in his foot has me concerned.  That is a scary injury for such a big guy.  I really like him as a prospect, but I have to say that I would rule him out in the 1st round due to the injury risk.  That could be a lingering thing.  If we trade back into the second and then draft him, I'm more okay with that, but after reading up on his foot a little bit, I wouldn't take him in the 1st.  I want healthy players.  Also, as I already mentioned, Easly would be off my board completely.  Again, love his talent, but I wouldn't touch a guy who already has 2 reconstructed knees coming out of college. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm still holding out hope on benjamin where do they have him drafted? Brady needs another weapon I'm to worried gronk, amendola, edelman, Dobson, Boyce will get hurt. Brady needs a top WR this year. 

[/QUOTE]

I think he's gone somewhere between, say 25 and 35.

I'm all for adding more talent at WR and this class is deep and loaded at the position.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

This is the best thread on BDC forums by far. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tuitt's stress fracture in his foot has me concerned.  That is a scary injury for such a big guy.  I really like him as a prospect, but I have to say that I would rule him out in the 1st round due to the injury risk.  That could be a lingering thing.  If we trade back into the second and then draft him, I'm more okay with that, but after reading up on his foot a little bit, I wouldn't take him in the 1st.  I want healthy players.  Also, as I already mentioned, Easly would be off my board completely.  Again, love his talent, but I wouldn't touch a guy who already has 2 reconstructed knees coming out of college. 

[/QUOTE]

I have been following it closely because I'm sold on Tuitt, now I can only go based on what I've been reading but after the surgery he had there will be no further effects of it.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is the best thread on BDC forums by far. 

[/QUOTE]

Def fortunate to have quality posters that don't turn it into the elementary school sandbox, any chance they get, ha.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have been following it closely because I'm sold on Tuitt, now I can only go based on what I've been reading but after the surgery he had there will be no further effects of it.  

[/QUOTE]

I hope so but stress fractures are hard to predict. It could back up again and dependant on the cause can show up in different locations. Stress fractures are on of those injures that will be problematic throughout your career or be a random one off injury

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hope so but stress fractures are hard to predict. It could back up again and dependant on the cause can show up in different locations. Stress fractures are on of those injures that will be problematic throughout your career or be a random one off injury

[/QUOTE]

Here's a great explanation of it,

http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/2/24/5443896/2014-nfl-draft-stephon-tuitts-foot-fracture-explained

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustify. Show Bustify's posts

IMO OL, DL, and TE need to be addressed before anything else. I would imagine DL first, but anything could happen.

If our first pick is at one of these three positions, I'll be happy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  Very tricky injury, especially for a 300 pounder.  I wouldn't take Tuitt in the Top 40.  I've seen enough injury-plagued players.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Bustify's comment:

IMO OL, DL, and TE need to be addressed before anything else. I would imagine DL first, but anything could happen.

If our first pick is at one of these three positions, I'll be happy.

I'm looking DL, edge rusher, S, LB, TE first... hope to see they address the defensive side of the ball, though a Kelvin Benjamin would be great to see in Rd 1 as well... as more of a move TE that can also play outside the hashes.  OL could also use some reinforcements, though I'd prefer to see them target that after Rd 1.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

no more need for S, Chung is back!  Single high S now with Chung, sit DM.