***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to Pats7393's comment:
    [QUOTE]

no more need for S, Chung is back!  Single high S now with Chung, sit DM.

[/QUOTE]

No more comments from me on this :-)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

no more need for S, Chung is back!  Single high S now with Chung, sit DM.

[/QUOTE]

No more comments from me on this :-)

[/QUOTE]

WHAT!  I left sp70 speechless! lol

but serously! Chung  I hope there's 0 dead money coming from that contract.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

This will probally have an impact on where or if we do draft a S.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This will probally have an impact on where or if we do draft a S.

[/QUOTE]

I really hope not!  Ask any Phily fan about Chung lol 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Tuitt visiting Foxboro today:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4761104/stephon-tuitt-checks-in-from-foxboro

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tg19pats. Show tg19pats's posts

Hey what do people think of josh Mauro de from Stanford just heard him interviewed on sirius xm sounds like a patriot, already has his degree( science and technology)and stated he needed to keep his team visits confidential. Big guy 6ft 6 inches around 3 hundred pounds. I need to see what he is about KIrwin and Jim miller both immediately mentioned pats and belichick as a good spot late round pick I believe.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

In response to tg19pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey what do people think of josh Mauro de from Stanford just heard him interviewed on sirius xm sounds like a patriot, already has his degree( science and technology)and stated he needed to keep his team visits confidential. Big guy 6ft 6 inches around 3 hundred pounds. I need to see what he is about KIrwin and Jim miller both immediately mentioned pats and belichick as a good spot late round pick I believe.

[/QUOTE]

What position does he play?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stars81. Show stars81's posts

My critique of your original post:

Check out Prodraftanalysis.com and click on the New England Patriots link to get a low down on a great breakdown of the NE Patriots team needs.

Rd 1:

DE/OLB- Kony Ealy                           No way is he a 1st rounder. He's a 5th rounder at best. Why do we need DE OLB anyways we have Chandler jones that we traded up for. Ealy is a skinny guy that would easily get boxed inside in the run. I'm even sure this guy can set the edge.

OLB/DE- Jeremiah Attaochu       4th rounder at best, he's very mediocre off the edge and needs to be superb to be an every down OLB. He's never dropped into coverage before

LB- Ryan Shazier                   I agree that he is a 1st-2nd round, where he struggles is getting past the pass blocker to get to the QB, He's getting in run and has room for growth in the passing game.

DT- Stephon Tuitt                I like Tuitt, solid 1st rounder in my opinion

OLB/DE- Dee Ford            I think Dee is a little overrated at this stage. I know he had a good senior bowl, but he jumped offside at least once on one of the sacks he got (he was never called for it). I have him at 3rd round

WR- Kelvin Benjamin   KB is a big athlete but struggled a lot in the national championship against a smaller DB. I think he is a situational red zone player and that does not warrant a 1st round pick in my eyes.

CB- Kyle Fuller      Hands down beat all around CB in the NFL draft

DT- Ra'shede Hageman     1st-2nd round, needs more experience at DE, he use to be on the offensive side of the ball.

S- Jimmie Ward             Great cover S. Apparently his stock is dropping. He will be awesome in the NFL. 1st round for sure

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Here's a great explanation of it,

http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/2/24/5443896/2014-nfl-draft-stephon-tuitts-foot-fracture-explained

[/QUOTE]

Right but that doesn't explain why it happened. Most stress fractures are caused by a weakening on the bone or it's structure and added stress on that away. It can be a common thing and most people at one point or another will experience this type of minor fracture in their life, however, if its symptomatic of a larger issues (long term weakening of bone structure or lack of calcium absoption) then these types of fractures could become a more regular basis increasing so as he gets older

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to tg19pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Believe he was 6-6 271 at the combine.  He has some solid intangibles and length and plays the game hard, but I just don't know where he plays in NE.  Has the look/skill of a 5 tech, but he's prob 20+ pounds too light.  If they take him as a developmental guy late in the draft, I'd be all for it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to stars81's comment:

My critique of your original post:

Check out Prodraftanalysis.com and click on the New England Patriots link to get a low down on a great breakdown of the NE Patriots team needs.

Rd 1:

DE/OLB- Kony Ealy                           No way is he a 1st rounder. He's a 5th rounder at best. Why do we need DE OLB anyways we have Chandler jones that we traded up for. Ealy is a skinny guy that would easily get boxed inside in the run. I'm even sure this guy can set the edge.

OLB/DE- Jeremiah Attaochu       4th rounder at best, he's very mediocre off the edge and needs to be superb to be an every down OLB. He's never dropped into coverage before

LB- Ryan Shazier                   I agree that he is a 1st-2nd round, where he struggles is getting past the pass blocker to get to the QB, He's getting in run and has room for growth in the passing game.

DT- Stephon Tuitt                I like Tuitt, solid 1st rounder in my opinion

OLB/DE- Dee Ford            I think Dee is a little overrated at this stage. I know he had a good senior bowl, but he jumped offside at least once on one of the sacks he got (he was never called for it). I have him at 3rd round

WR- Kelvin Benjamin   KB is a big athlete but struggled a lot in the national championship against a smaller DB. I think he is a situational red zone player and that does not warrant a 1st round pick in my eyes.

CB- Kyle Fuller      Hands down beat all around CB in the NFL draft

DT- Ra'shede Hageman     1st-2nd round, needs more experience at DE, he use to be on the offensive side of the ball.

S- Jimmie Ward             Great cover S. Apparently his stock is dropping. He will be awesome in the NFL. 1st round for sure

Welcome to the thread and I appreciate the feedback.

Ealy- 5th rounder at best?  I've watched all of his 2013 tape and I think he's a potential impact talent.  The comps to Chandler and Aldon Smith are very good, IMO... good size/length, good burst and motor, very good triangle #'s... this kid could be lethal off the edge... and NE doesn't have much depth off the edge.  I'd prefer to see them add to the pass rush corps to keep legs fresher.  Michael Sam I could see in Rd 5, but not Ealy.

Attaochu- Same with Ealy, his tape does not say 4th rounder.  He has some rawness to his game, but demonstrates very good explosion/snap anticipation... and comes with a ton of positional versatility having played both 43 end and 34 OLB during his time at GT.  I see a kid that plays the game hard, has been productive despite teams scheming to neutralize in and has a ton of upside.  I don't think he's a Rd 1 lock, but certainly deserves to be in the discussion.

Kelvin Benjamin- He came up big in the NC game at the end, and he also absolutely dominated Gator CB Louchiez Purifoy this past season.  I think he's another kid with some rawness to his game, some inconsitency with his hands/concentration, but in today's NFL, he has premium size and a premium skill set and that warrants Rd 1, or at the very least Top 35 consideration.

Fuller-  I don't know about the best all around CB in the draft (I'd prob give that to Justin Gilbert), but the kid can ball, no doubt... looked very, very good vs. Alabama WR Amari Cooper.

Hageman- I agree... there's a lot of love for him out there, but this thread has pointed out on numerous occasions how inconsistent his is from snap to snap.  Ton of potential and upside, but if he slips to Rd 2, I can see why.  

Ward- I agree... looks like a very, very good all around S prospect, in the mold of DMC.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

As of today, Shazier is my guy.  He is #1 on my wish list for this draft.  After losing Spikes and Fletch, I think we have a huge need at LB.  I love the idea of pairing Collins with Shazier as our OLBs.  Talk about athleticism!  I think Shazier is a very complete LB, and would provide our defense with a huge boost in athletism and versatility.  I would love to see us get him at 29.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As of today, Shazier is my guy.  He is #1 on my wish list for this draft.  After losing Spikes and Fletch, I think we have a huge need at LB.  I love the idea of pairing Collins with Shazier as our OLBs.  Talk about athleticism!  I think Shazier is a very complete LB, and would provide our defense with a huge boost in athletism and versatility.  I would love to see us get him at 29.

[/QUOTE]

Shazier is super athletic but I think too small to play olb at least in a 3-4. He's even on the small side to play weakside olb in a 4-3. I think of him as that Tweener lb/s bb likes, and frankly, this is how I would use him unless he can add some bulk. 

My vote is Attaochu at this point. He has the size and speed to play anywhere in the lb corps or as a 4-3 de. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

my first 3 picks haven't changed in a week! Lol. Seriously, thoughts appreciated..

1 - Attaochu > this kid has the size, speed, strength and versatility to line up in any lb spot and, as a 4-3 de. He is a bit unrefined, but, his potential is big. His draft stock reminds me a bit of chandler jones just beforenthe draft, and 2-3 years from now, he like jones could be one of the best taken in this draft. His skill set compliments our current lb corps, and having 2 athletic freaks iwith size (Collins and Attaochu) would be big For us. I think he could begin subbing for nink and cjones from time to time, and, replacing Hightower possibly on 3rd and long passing situations. 

2-Niklas > size and best blocking TE by far in this draft. Still learning as a pass catcher and route runner, and with some coaching and a little time, he could be a good, dual threat TE in the mold of Gronk. Like Attaochu, huge upside and still scratching the surface on his potential. Ideally I would have taken a move TE, but with gronk's injury history, we really need a dual threat to keep the run game humming and teams guessing. I like amaro in the 2nd as well, but for me, Niklas is the kid I want.

3- Urban > great size and can play in a 3 man line as end, or 4 as tackle. I think he has a good motor and gets good push inside, collapsing pockets. He over pursues sometimes, and doesn't always use good technique, but once cleaned up, I think he can be a strong contributor. For me he replaces vellano at the very least, and gives bb some flexibility to play a 3 man line more effectively without having to over rely on armstead and not over work Kelly. Overall, I think a solid pick at the end of round 3.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

my first 3 picks haven't changed in a week! Lol. Seriously, thoughts appreciated..

1 - Attaochu > this kid has the size, speed, strength and versatility to line up in any lb spot and, as a 4-3 de. He is a bit unrefined, but, his potential is big. His draft stock reminds me a bit of chandler jones just beforenthe draft, and 2-3 years from now, he like jones could be one of the best taken in this draft. His skill set compliments our current lb corps, and having 2 athletic freaks iwith size (Collins and Attaochu) would be big For us. I think he could begin subbing for nink and cjones from time to time, and, replacing Hightower possibly on 3rd and long passing situations. 

2-Niklas > size and best blocking TE by far in this draft. Still learning as a pass catcher and route runner, and with some coaching and a little time, he could be a good, dual threat TE in the mold of Gronk. Like Attaochu, huge upside and still scratching the surface on his potential. Ideally I would have taken a move TE, but with gronk's injury history, we really need a dual threat to keep the run game humming and teams guessing. I like amaro in the 2nd as well, but for me, Niklas is the kid I want.

3- Urban > great size and can play in a 3 man line as end, or 4 as tackle. I think he has a good motor and gets good push inside, collapsing pockets. He over pursues sometimes, and doesn't always use good technique, but once cleaned up, I think he can be a strong contributor. For me he replaces vellano at the very least, and gives bb some flexibility to play a 3 man line more effectively without having to over rely on armstead and not over work Kelly. Overall, I think a solid pick at the end of round 3.

[/QUOTE]

top need picks minus o line (which can come later) and good players. thumbs up

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not as completely sold on Attaochu as the rest of you guys. I see him closer to a late 2nd round type of pick. More like a Dunlap type of player and less like a C. Jones.

Truthfully I'd like either Niklas or CJ, to me CJ does a lot of the little things I don't see Niklas doing right now. Now Niklas has higher upside but he's only had one decent season under his belt. He would have been best served returning to school where as CJ has a much better track record. In this case knowing Gronks injury issue I'd lean more towards the sure thing in CJ and less towards the potential in Niklas

In the 3rd he's a good pickup. He has potential and that 6'7" height on the line would give QB's fits but he's a project. He has trouble with leverage because of his massive height and tends to let OL get under his pads too often. He needs to learn how to not immediately stand up at the line and maybe end line up a full step back

[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

My first three picks haven't changed at all either.

Wr - Kelvin Benjamin/ Brady needs a big time threat. 

DT/DE- Will Clarke - love his tape, love his work ethic, BB guy, high motor, true leader

TE - CJ Fiederowicz - soft hands, fits great in system, can catch and block, not injury prone. Big big guy, sheds tackles.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

34 more days and we will all see who's starting to moan or complaining regarding who went where and who should have been picked.  Can't wait.  LOL

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

check out this tape on Will Clarke. Man I love this shytt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgsXDGlsM

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to fishers5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

34 more days and we will all see who's starting to moan or complaining regarding who went where and who should have been picked.  Can't wait.  LOL

[/QUOTE]

I think this makes for a good topic idea for the thread...

If BB takes (insert name(s) here) on Day 1 or 2, I'll be pretty annoyed!!!

And go...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Alright time for my mock 7.0. Some names have changed but I'm sure you guys will recognize most. Some thoughts on why I did what I did:

Trading back the 1st - I see the same tell tale signs that BB doesn't want to keep the pick as I saw in past years. He's playing games with the top QB's in hopes they will fall and someone will trade up to get them (ie see Tebow draft). The only times I've seen him PW potential top 15 players is when he either had a top 20 pick or when he traded out of the 1st.

Drafting no QB - Everyone thinks this is the year they draft Brady's replacement but other than McCarron and Murray (who I don't think BB likes his size) there are major issues with all the QB's across the board in this years draft. Not to mention you only have them for 4 years which means if Brady lasts 3 more years then you only get one year to truely evaluate a player under in game situations efore having to lock him up. Next year's draft looks much stronger for QB's right now and even if they have to get a bandaid for a year I can see BB waiting 2 years to draft a QB. I think he'll draft Brady's replacement in the next 2-3 years but I don't think it's this year. Maybe in the 1st next year.

Chung signing - Chung was one of the worst S's in the league last year but that they brought him in for competition and they haven't released A. Wilson says to me they might not be looking at S in the draft. They might wait a year unless someone really falls or take a mid round guy with high upside that can be red shirted but I'm not seeing them really going early for one.

OL - I think they like Kline and Wendell and see them as future players so they might not spend early in the draft and instead maybe get another project and see how Mankins, Solder, and Vollmer hold up this year and look at OL next year.

on to the draft:

1st - Traded for a 2nd, 4th, and 5th. There is no shortage of teams who need QB's Hou, Jax, Clev, Rams, Bucs, Minn, Tenn but really there are 4 QB's worth drafting in the first 2 rounds and you can argue non worth drafting in the top 15. I think we see 1 maybe 2 QB's go in the top 15 which means those other teams will be fighting to get the one or two that drop. I could see the Rams, Bucs, or Tenn trading up with the Pats for one of those QB's

Traded 2nd - Stephon Tuitt DE/DT ND -  like in many other years we all complained about BB trading back I see the possibility Tuitt, Nix, and Hageman could be sitting there at #29 and then be gone by the time the Pats pick again in the 2nd. BB has a pool of 6 players instead of targetting 1 or 2 so it wouldn't surprise me. I think passing on Hageman is going to come back and bit BB on this one. However, because of the stress fracture I think Tuitt falls a bit and BB grabs him well either him or Nix will fall because of the injury. He's coming in for a PW and I think this will be the PW ends up drafting.

2nd - CJ Fiedorowicz TE Iowa - You guys know I'm a big fan and I think BB is too. Interviewed him at the combine, has a connection with his coach at Iowa, same body shape, frame, and tech that BB loves in his TE's. This guy screams Pats to me and BB will take him a bit early to make sure he gets him.

3rd - Brandon Coleman WR Rutgers - Another guy BB has been linked to. RZ was an esp soar sticking point for the Pats last season and BB loves mismatches. Coleman could be the biggest mismatch possibility in the draft. If Harrison catches I could see these two as massive mismatch issues in the RZ and have them used in multiple positions as tweener jokers/possession guys

Traded 4th - Will Clark DE WV - I know I've been pushing the Lynch train as a pass rusher but hearing about off-field issues has me thinking Lynch might be a 7th or UDFA prospect at this point. Clark however, is a sleeper prospect who had a great east-west (something BB loves to see) and followed up with a solid combine. He's 6'6" 275 and 4.75 speed and 22 reps (impressive give his arm length). He has explosiveness and high potential as a pass rushing prospect.

4th - Jerrick McKinnon RB GA S - He's got an explosive burst, great strength, can take hits and bounce off players, and was impressive at the Senior bowl blowing past seasoned defenders. He also blew away the combine with top 5 performance in everything he did. We converted Edelman to a WR now they have a converted QB as a RB. It makes sense as this being Vereens last contract year if he can't stay healthy McKinnon would fill his role perfectly

Comp 4th - Dakota Dozier G Furmen - Now for this years 'who dat' pick. McKinnon could have been that type of label but this one I think 99.5% of people have no clue who this kid is but there is a massive buzz about him. He's a DII OT that has the build built for a G. Impressive footwork and power to open up holes. I can see him as a RG to moves to LG once Mankins is done.

Traded 5th - Joe Dun Duncan TE Dixie State - Another 'who dat' pick makes 3 in a row and people are going bald! but Joe Dun could be the steal of a TE class. Though not as tall as CJ or Gronk he's a joker TE with a body meant to block. I wouldn't be shocked to see BB load up on O weapons this draft for Brady and build in a ton of comp this year

6th - Zach Fulton G Tenn - he's listed as a guard but he showed impressive footwork at the combine and has the size and speed to be a T. I see him as a swing guy who primarily will back up G but can flex out to T if need be

6th - Steele Divitto OLB BC - Divitto is kind of like Bruschi in a way. He's not the fastest guy, nor the most athletic guy but he has a great nose for the ball and is a high work ethic grinder. If you are looking for a 4th LB Divitto might surprise you. He can line up outside or in and just has a great game sense about him. I think he could easily take over the Fletcher role.

7th - Andrew Miller C VT - Miller is a project. He needs to add about 20lbs in the pro's but he had great games against GT and NC and was even a ACC OL of the week player. Odd to see him this far back but well worth the risk as a developmental player.

Might not be the D knock out we hoped but completely rebuilds the O while adding good prospective depth on the OL. Also adds some good talent to the front 7 and some much need ability to get pressure on the QB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And go...

[/QUOTE]

Any QB or CB, Morgan Moses, Terrence Brooks, C.J. Mosley, Anthony Johnson, Will Sutton, Cyrus Kouandijo, anyone with a day 3 grade 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And go...

[/QUOTE]

MB ....  start now or wait till draft starts ?    Wonder if names would change

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

I wonder if they will change the date of thed draft back to April next year! This has to be effecting every GM's perspective. Just look at how many times we've all shifted our personal boards, cripes every GM outside of The Texans has probably floated 20 maybe thirty different scenarios. Mind boggling!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wonder if they will change the date of thed draft back to April next year! This has to be effecting every GM's perspective. Just look at how many times we've all shifted our personal boards, cripes every GM outside of The Texans has probably floated 20 maybe thirty different scenarios. Mind boggling!

[/QUOTE]

Well, we don't have the benefit of massive amounts of data either to shift our boards. We have to wait and react to different reports, video's, team needs, FA signings, and leaked past history and injures. Most teams already have a massive amount of info on that already. Really April is the month things get leaked out to the public and that's why our boards don't change much from Jan-early Mar but once FA hits and you hear more about the prospects and what experts see and don't see or opinions swing in a big way

Sections
Shortcuts