***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to fishers5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

34 more days and we will all see who's starting to moan or complaining regarding who went where and who should have been picked.  Can't wait.  LOL

I think this makes for a good topic idea for the thread...

If BB takes (insert name(s) here) on Day 1 or 2, I'll be pretty annoyed!!!

And go...

[/QUOTE]

Any QB or CB, Morgan Moses, Terrence Brooks, C.J. Mosley, Anthony Johnson, Will Sutton, Cyrus Kouandijo, anyone with a day 3 grade 

[/QUOTE]

Moses, Sutton and Johnson are (3) names that'd annoy me too.  I'd also not that high on Marcus Roberson and I'd prob be annoyed with any TE not named Ebron or a David Yankey in Rd 1... and prob anyone from USC, haha.  I also want nothing to do with Seantrel Henderson.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

34 more days and we will all see who's starting to moan or complaining regarding who went where and who should have been picked.  Can't wait.  LOL

[/QUOTE]

I think this makes for a good topic idea for the thread...

If BB takes (insert name(s) here) on Day 1 or 2, I'll be pretty annoyed!!!

And go...

[/QUOTE]

MB ....  start now or wait till draft starts ?    Wonder if names would change

[/QUOTE]

No better time to start than now!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

Alright time for my mock 7.0. Some names have changed but I'm sure you guys will recognize most. Some thoughts on why I did what I did:

Trading back the 1st - I see the same tell tale signs that BB doesn't want to keep the pick as I saw in past years. He's playing games with the top QB's in hopes they will fall and someone will trade up to get them (ie see Tebow draft). The only times I've seen him PW potential top 15 players is when he either had a top 20 pick or when he traded out of the 1st.

Drafting no QB - Everyone thinks this is the year they draft Brady's replacement but other than McCarron and Murray (who I don't think BB likes his size) there are major issues with all the QB's across the board in this years draft. Not to mention you only have them for 4 years which means if Brady lasts 3 more years then you only get one year to truely evaluate a player under in game situations efore having to lock him up. Next year's draft looks much stronger for QB's right now and even if they have to get a bandaid for a year I can see BB waiting 2 years to draft a QB. I think he'll draft Brady's replacement in the next 2-3 years but I don't think it's this year. Maybe in the 1st next year.

Chung signing - Chung was one of the worst S's in the league last year but that they brought him in for competition and they haven't released A. Wilson says to me they might not be looking at S in the draft. They might wait a year unless someone really falls or take a mid round guy with high upside that can be red shirted but I'm not seeing them really going early for one.

OL - I think they like Kline and Wendell and see them as future players so they might not spend early in the draft and instead maybe get another project and see how Mankins, Solder, and Vollmer hold up this year and look at OL next year.

on to the draft:

1st - Traded for a 2nd, 4th, and 5th. There is no shortage of teams who need QB's Hou, Jax, Clev, Rams, Bucs, Minn, Tenn but really there are 4 QB's worth drafting in the first 2 rounds and you can argue non worth drafting in the top 15. I think we see 1 maybe 2 QB's go in the top 15 which means those other teams will be fighting to get the one or two that drop. I could see the Rams, Bucs, or Tenn trading up with the Pats for one of those QB's

Traded 2nd - Stephon Tuitt DE/DT ND -  like in many other years we all complained about BB trading back I see the possibility Tuitt, Nix, and Hageman could be sitting there at #29 and then be gone by the time the Pats pick again in the 2nd. BB has a pool of 6 players instead of targetting 1 or 2 so it wouldn't surprise me. I think passing on Hageman is going to come back and bit BB on this one. However, because of the stress fracture I think Tuitt falls a bit and BB grabs him well either him or Nix will fall because of the injury. He's coming in for a PW and I think this will be the PW ends up drafting.

2nd - CJ Fiedorowicz TE Iowa - You guys know I'm a big fan and I think BB is too. Interviewed him at the combine, has a connection with his coach at Iowa, same body shape, frame, and tech that BB loves in his TE's. This guy screams Pats to me and BB will take him a bit early to make sure he gets him.

3rd - Brandon Coleman WR Rutgers - Another guy BB has been linked to. RZ was an esp soar sticking point for the Pats last season and BB loves mismatches. Coleman could be the biggest mismatch possibility in the draft. If Harrison catches I could see these two as massive mismatch issues in the RZ and have them used in multiple positions as tweener jokers/possession guys

Traded 4th - Will Clark DE WV - I know I've been pushing the Lynch train as a pass rusher but hearing about off-field issues has me thinking Lynch might be a 7th or UDFA prospect at this point. Clark however, is a sleeper prospect who had a great east-west (something BB loves to see) and followed up with a solid combine. He's 6'6" 275 and 4.75 speed and 22 reps (impressive give his arm length). He has explosiveness and high potential as a pass rushing prospect.

4th - Jerrick McKinnon RB GA S - He's got an explosive burst, great strength, can take hits and bounce off players, and was impressive at the Senior bowl blowing past seasoned defenders. He also blew away the combine with top 5 performance in everything he did. We converted Edelman to a WR now they have a converted QB as a RB. It makes sense as this being Vereens last contract year if he can't stay healthy McKinnon would fill his role perfectly

Comp 4th - Dakota Dozier G Furmen - Now for this years 'who dat' pick. McKinnon could have been that type of label but this one I think 99.5% of people have no clue who this kid is but there is a massive buzz about him. He's a DII OT that has the build built for a G. Impressive footwork and power to open up holes. I can see him as a RG to moves to LG once Mankins is done.

Traded 5th - Joe Dun Duncan TE Dixie State - Another 'who dat' pick makes 3 in a row and people are going bald! but Joe Dun could be the steal of a TE class. Though not as tall as CJ or Gronk he's a joker TE with a body meant to block. I wouldn't be shocked to see BB load up on O weapons this draft for Brady and build in a ton of comp this year

6th - Zach Fulton G Tenn - he's listed as a guard but he showed impressive footwork at the combine and has the size and speed to be a T. I see him as a swing guy who primarily will back up G but can flex out to T if need be

6th - Steele Divitto OLB BC - Divitto is kind of like Bruschi in a way. He's not the fastest guy, nor the most athletic guy but he has a great nose for the ball and is a high work ethic grinder. If you are looking for a 4th LB Divitto might surprise you. He can line up outside or in and just has a great game sense about him. I think he could easily take over the Fletcher role.

7th - Andrew Miller C VT - Miller is a project. He needs to add about 20lbs in the pro's but he had great games against GT and NC and was even a ACC OL of the week player. Odd to see him this far back but well worth the risk as a developmental player.

Might not be the D knock out we hoped but completely rebuilds the O while adding good prospective depth on the OL. Also adds some good talent to the front 7 and some much need ability to get pressure on the QB.

[/QUOTE]

Well we both picked a DL first (although attaochu is more a de/lb than dt )and TE second.

i like CJ as well, but thete is something about Niklas that tells me he could have a better pro career. I don't think we could go wrong with either one, and both block effectively and can catch. Cj might be more pro ready and if thete were no question marks on Gronk, I would take Niklas....I still want to..lol

coleman actually reminds me a lot of Harrison..in terms of his strengths and weaknesses. Both get A grades as willing blockers, both questionable hands, most almost everything I read says Coleman lacks separation ability. He has decent speed, but he isn't going to blped s DB's. I think he would be a decent possession receiver with some upside. 

PI like your Joe dun Duncan pick in the fifth. Makes sense and makes sense to double up on TEs. Like Coleman, I don't think we would see much production out of him, so loading up for depth and growth is the way I would think about the 2 of them. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

Alright time for my mock 7.0. Some names have changed but I'm sure you guys will recognize most. Some thoughts on why I did what I did:

Trading back the 1st - I see the same tell tale signs that BB doesn't want to keep the pick as I saw in past years. He's playing games with the top QB's in hopes they will fall and someone will trade up to get them (ie see Tebow draft). The only times I've seen him PW potential top 15 players is when he either had a top 20 pick or when he traded out of the 1st.

Drafting no QB - Everyone thinks this is the year they draft Brady's replacement but other than McCarron and Murray (who I don't think BB likes his size) there are major issues with all the QB's across the board in this years draft. Not to mention you only have them for 4 years which means if Brady lasts 3 more years then you only get one year to truely evaluate a player under in game situations efore having to lock him up. Next year's draft looks much stronger for QB's right now and even if they have to get a bandaid for a year I can see BB waiting 2 years to draft a QB. I think he'll draft Brady's replacement in the next 2-3 years but I don't think it's this year. Maybe in the 1st next year.

Chung signing - Chung was one of the worst S's in the league last year but that they brought him in for competition and they haven't released A. Wilson says to me they might not be looking at S in the draft. They might wait a year unless someone really falls or take a mid round guy with high upside that can be red shirted but I'm not seeing them really going early for one.

OL - I think they like Kline and Wendell and see them as future players so they might not spend early in the draft and instead maybe get another project and see how Mankins, Solder, and Vollmer hold up this year and look at OL next year.

on to the draft:

1st - Traded for a 2nd, 4th, and 5th. There is no shortage of teams who need QB's Hou, Jax, Clev, Rams, Bucs, Minn, Tenn but really there are 4 QB's worth drafting in the first 2 rounds and you can argue non worth drafting in the top 15. I think we see 1 maybe 2 QB's go in the top 15 which means those other teams will be fighting to get the one or two that drop. I could see the Rams, Bucs, or Tenn trading up with the Pats for one of those QB's

Traded 2nd - Stephon Tuitt DE/DT ND -  like in many other years we all complained about BB trading back I see the possibility Tuitt, Nix, and Hageman could be sitting there at #29 and then be gone by the time the Pats pick again in the 2nd. BB has a pool of 6 players instead of targetting 1 or 2 so it wouldn't surprise me. I think passing on Hageman is going to come back and bit BB on this one. However, because of the stress fracture I think Tuitt falls a bit and BB grabs him well either him or Nix will fall because of the injury. He's coming in for a PW and I think this will be the PW ends up drafting.

2nd - CJ Fiedorowicz TE Iowa - You guys know I'm a big fan and I think BB is too. Interviewed him at the combine, has a connection with his coach at Iowa, same body shape, frame, and tech that BB loves in his TE's. This guy screams Pats to me and BB will take him a bit early to make sure he gets him.

3rd - Brandon Coleman WR Rutgers - Another guy BB has been linked to. RZ was an esp soar sticking point for the Pats last season and BB loves mismatches. Coleman could be the biggest mismatch possibility in the draft. If Harrison catches I could see these two as massive mismatch issues in the RZ and have them used in multiple positions as tweener jokers/possession guys

Traded 4th - Will Clark DE WV - I know I've been pushing the Lynch train as a pass rusher but hearing about off-field issues has me thinking Lynch might be a 7th or UDFA prospect at this point. Clark however, is a sleeper prospect who had a great east-west (something BB loves to see) and followed up with a solid combine. He's 6'6" 275 and 4.75 speed and 22 reps (impressive give his arm length). He has explosiveness and high potential as a pass rushing prospect.

4th - Jerrick McKinnon RB GA S - He's got an explosive burst, great strength, can take hits and bounce off players, and was impressive at the Senior bowl blowing past seasoned defenders. He also blew away the combine with top 5 performance in everything he did. We converted Edelman to a WR now they have a converted QB as a RB. It makes sense as this being Vereens last contract year if he can't stay healthy McKinnon would fill his role perfectly

Comp 4th - Dakota Dozier G Furmen - Now for this years 'who dat' pick. McKinnon could have been that type of label but this one I think 99.5% of people have no clue who this kid is but there is a massive buzz about him. He's a DII OT that has the build built for a G. Impressive footwork and power to open up holes. I can see him as a RG to moves to LG once Mankins is done.

Traded 5th - Joe Dun Duncan TE Dixie State - Another 'who dat' pick makes 3 in a row and people are going bald! but Joe Dun could be the steal of a TE class. Though not as tall as CJ or Gronk he's a joker TE with a body meant to block. I wouldn't be shocked to see BB load up on O weapons this draft for Brady and build in a ton of comp this year

6th - Zach Fulton G Tenn - he's listed as a guard but he showed impressive footwork at the combine and has the size and speed to be a T. I see him as a swing guy who primarily will back up G but can flex out to T if need be

6th - Steele Divitto OLB BC - Divitto is kind of like Bruschi in a way. He's not the fastest guy, nor the most athletic guy but he has a great nose for the ball and is a high work ethic grinder. If you are looking for a 4th LB Divitto might surprise you. He can line up outside or in and just has a great game sense about him. I think he could easily take over the Fletcher role.

7th - Andrew Miller C VT - Miller is a project. He needs to add about 20lbs in the pro's but he had great games against GT and NC and was even a ACC OL of the week player. Odd to see him this far back but well worth the risk as a developmental player.

Might not be the D knock out we hoped but completely rebuilds the O while adding good prospective depth on the OL. Also adds some good talent to the front 7 and some much need ability to get pressure on the QB.

[/QUOTE]

Outstanding mock, Eng.  Probably the most realistic one I've seen so far.  I especially enjoyed your thoughts at the beginning about NE trying to trade back, not drafting a QB, etc.  It all makes sense.  I too believe that BB would love to trade back into the 2nd this year, I'm just not sure that they will be able to find a team willing to part with mid-round picks to move up.  I don't think anyone will be willing to give up anywhere near what MIN did last year when we traded with them.  Draft is too deep and those 3rd/4th rounders are pretty valuable this year.  We will see.  I like Tuitt where you have him slotted, not before because of that stress fracture.  Due to that injury, it is very possible that he lasts into the 40's.  CJ is a good player, and I could see why they would take him late 2nd.  In a perfect world they would nab him in the 3rd, but you know as well as I do that he likely won't be on the board in the late 3rd, so they need to take him at 62 if they want him.   Personally, I would use the 3rd on a LB or pass-rushing DE to bolster or D a little more, but I see the upside with Coleman at that point and wouldn't have a problem with the pick.  You already know that I love McKinnon, and Clark would be a nice pick in the 4th.  The rest of the guys look to be good depth at OL, TE, and LB.  Nice Job.  I'd take this draft in a heart beat.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

on to the draft:

[/QUOTE]

Well we both picked a DL first (although attaochu is more a de/lb than dt )and TE second.

i like CJ as well, but thete is something about Niklas that tells me he could have a better pro career. I don't think we could go wrong with either one, and both block effectively and can catch. Cj might be more pro ready and if thete were no question marks on Gronk, I would take Niklas....I still want to..lol

coleman actually reminds me a lot of Harrison..in terms of his strengths and weaknesses. Both get A grades as willing blockers, both questionable hands, most almost everything I read says Coleman lacks separation ability. He has decent speed, but he isn't going to blped s DB's. I think he would be a decent possession receiver with some upside. 

PI like your Joe dun Duncan pick in the fifth. Makes sense and makes sense to double up on TEs. Like Coleman, I don't think we would see much production out of him, so loading up for depth and growth is the way I would think about the 2 of them. 

[/QUOTE]

I like this mock- Good job. I like the idea of trading back and holding for one of Hageman, Nix, Tuitt. With no long term fixtures at DTackle, spending a top draft pick on this unit seems wise. I'd throw Niklas as an option instead of CJFed and Allen Robinson (O'Brien PSU kid) as alternative 2nd and 3rd round guys as the same position. i like the idea of adding a RB and OL. Dozier is getting a lot of buzz, but there are a lot of good mid round lineman. Fulton (who you mentioned), Long, Watt, Bitonio, Bodine, Larsen, Stork, Swanson. Two from this group would be great.

I highlighted the part about Divitto for two reasons. First (Pats related), I agree that LB depth is needed. I just don't know if it will be a high pick or a late pick. I tend to think it will be earlier. Kirksey, Skov, Borland, T Smith maybe. Secondly, I hung out with Steele a few weeks ago at a friends in the North End. Apparently he dates one of her friends so I got a chance to meet him and talk to him about the process. He was extremely nice, humble, and dedicated to his dream of making the NFL. I'll definitely be following him in the draft.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

on to the draft:

Nice mock! I especially like those first 3 moves (trade back, Tuitt, Fiedorowicz)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

As usual, great stuff in here guys!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Updated Patriots Mock Draft - 3/31/2014

Round 1 - Kelvin BenJamin - WR - Florida State Brandon LaFell and Benjamin are working out together per Gil Brandt.

Round 2 - Will Clarke - DE/DT - West Virinia

Round 3 - C.J Fiedeorowicz - TE Iowa State 

Round 4 - Kelcy Quarles - DT South Carolina  

Round 4 - Billy Turner- OT - North Dakota State 

Round 6 - Connor Shaw - QB South Carolina 

Round 7 - Tyler Gaffney - RB Stanford 

[/QUOTE]

Clarke is rated that high now? He was a fourth rounder after the combine. I don't think he should be rated higher than Quarles. Not sure about CJF vs Clarke. Just based on impact to the team, I would take CJF over Clarke. If you really want a DE after that, I would pick up Urban or even Westbrooks.

[/QUOTE]
    Read what everyone says about Clarke and then tell me he's not a BB type of guy. His stock has risen also. For our needs at the bottom of the second.

[/QUOTE]

Oh don't get me wrong. I really really like Clarke. However, if taking a DE in RND 2, I much prefer Marcus Smith. Clarke, IMO will be available in RND 4. He would be a great pick up there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fresh mocks on cbssports somehow have Pryor dropping to pick 29. wow that would be something to say the least.

He's my number 1 if he falls.

Realisitically I think this could be a trade back kind of year with the best TE value in the 40s probably... then go DT Rd. 2 (DaQuan Jones or dominque easley if teams let him drop)

[/QUOTE]

yeah I don't think that kid is dropping out of top 20.

One safety I think Pats could be going after is Dixon, just makes too much sense.  Has play that hybrid LB/S role as well as full time down hill thumper S.

[/QUOTE]

Dixon of Baylor? YES. However, I would pick him no earlier than NEP's second 4th rounder.

The other SS that people don't talk about much is Sunseri. He was a top ranked SS bfore his ACL injury in Oct. I don't think that kind of injury will hamper his kind of game in the long run. He will be available in the sixth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

This will probally have an impact on where or if we do draft a S.

[/QUOTE]

I really hope not!  Ask any Phily fan about Chung lol 

[/QUOTE]

I saw him play two games for Philly. He was worse than when he was with the Pats.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

on to the draft:

Nice mock! I especially like those first 3 moves (trade back, Tuitt, Fiedorowicz)

Here's what I'd like to see in this scenario:

Traded 2nd - DL Stephon Tuitt

2nd - WR Donte Moncrief

3rd - S/LB Telvin Smith

Traded 4th - DL Ed Stinson

4th - OLB/DE Adrian Hubbard

Comp 4th - TE Arthur Lynch

Traded 5th - CB/S Dontae Johnson

6th - QB Logan Thomas

6th -  OL John Urschel

7th - RB  Alfred Blue or WR Kain Colter

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

2nd - WR Donte Moncrief

3rd - S/LB Telvin Smith

6th - QB Logan Thomas

6th -  OL John Urschel

[/QUOTE]

I would take a different appoach.

I know people here are allergic to taking a CB in the first round. IMO it is not the decision to take a CB early that is wrong. BB gets in trouble when he picks an obscure guy. I think if they just pick whomever the market has already determined to be pretty solid, they will be fine.

This is a great year to bring in a high pick CB. The talent level is very good. The starters will be or could be gone by next year -- Revis (a 1-yr rental), Browner (a man with a few strikes) and Dennard ( a man with a couple of strikes). This year, however, would be a great time for the rook to learn behind those starters. At best, Arrington gets pushed out.

Traded 2nd - CB K Fuller

2nd - DT D Jones

3rd - TE CJ Fiederowicz or A Sefarian-Jenkins

Traded 4th - DE W Clarke

4th - LB J Tripp

Comp 4th - C B Stork

Traded 5th - WR K Norwood

6th - S V Sunseri

6th -  QB T Savage

7th - DT J Bromley

UDFA - WR L Bester

UDFA - WR B Wimberly

UDFA - WR J Reese

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from minnypat. Show minnypat's posts

everyone is trading back but the one player who could get the Pats a SB win is A&M's Mike Evans. He's the only one out there who could do a decent AH impression. what would it take to move up to the 10-13 slot and get Evans?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

2nd - WR Donte Moncrief

3rd - S/LB Telvin Smith

6th - QB Logan Thomas

6th -  OL John Urschel

[/QUOTE]

I would take a different appoach.

I know people here are allergic to taking a CB in the first round. IMO it is not the decision to take a CB early that is wrong. BB gets in trouble when he picks an obscure guy. I think if they just pick whomever the market has already determined to be pretty solid, they will be fine.

This is a great year to bring in a high pick CB. The talent level is very good. The starters will be or could be gone by next year -- Revis (a 1-yr rental), Browner (a man with a few strikes) and Dennard ( a man with a couple of strikes). This year, however, would be a great time for the rook to learn behind those starters. At best, Arrington gets pushed out.

Traded 2nd - CB K Fuller

2nd - DT D Jones

3rd - TE CJ Fiederowicz or A Sefarian-Jenkins

Traded 4th - DE W Clarke

4th - LB J Tripp

Comp 4th - C B Stork

Traded 5th - WR K Norwood

6th - S V Sunseri

6th -  QB T Savage

7th - DT J Bromley

UDFA - WR L Bester

UDFA - WR B Wimberly

UDFA - WR J Reese

[/QUOTE]

If they take a CB in Rd 1, it'll prob pee off a certain portion of the fan base, but it also make sense due to the reasons that you've outlined above.  On paper they're stacked at the position this year, but there are certainly questions moving forward and if a CB is BPA at 29 (i.e. Fuller) then I'd be all for the pick... he could prob play S early on as well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to minnypat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

everyone is trading back but the one player who could get the Pats a SB win is A&M's Mike Evans. He's the only one out there who could do a decent AH impression. what would it take to move up to the 10-13 slot and get Evans?

[/QUOTE]

I think Kelvin Benjamin could fill the roll as well and could be available at 29.

I hate to crush your dream, but there's prob no chance of BB trading up into the Top 15 for a WR.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Randon thought... CJF is the player that seems to be mocked to NE most often on this thread.  Can't disagree, he just makes a ton of sense at some point on Day 2.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Thoughts on the most recent nepatriotsdraft.com mock?

I think most fans that know anything about prospects would be pretty dadgum happy with this haul.

1st Round (29) - ** TRADE**

The Patriots love to move around the draft board to acquire additional picks and still draft their player. This draft is notoriously deep with impact talent, so the chances of the Patriots trading back are pretty good. Teams looking to move up to draft their Quarterback or a skilled position player will have their eyes on this pick. For the sake of this mock let’s say the Patriots drop down into the middle of the 2nd round and pick up an extra 3rd and 6th in the process.

2nd Round - Dominique Easley, DT, Florida (6’2″/288)
    Even thought Vince Wilfork re-signed and Tommy Kelly restructured his contract, defensive tackle remains a position of need. There still isn’t a long term impact presence on the roster and there certainly isn’t a player like Easley. When healthy, Easley is one of the most disruptive interior defenders in the draft. He can line up just about anywhere on the defensive line and is extremely explosive off the ball. His best asset is his ability to penetrate and beat blocks with explosive hands. Easley’s best football is clearly ahead of him. Chalk this pick up as typical Patriots. Easley’s stock would be much higher if not for a second ACL tear suffered in the Fall. In this scenario, the Patriots trade out of the first round, acquire extra draft picks, and still select a player they want.

2nd Round (62) - Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame (6’6″/270)
    Everyone in their right mind expects the Patriots to select a Tight End at some point in the draft. The Free Agent market is dried up, so the only way we see the “two tight end” offense next season is if the Patriots come away with an impact Tight End early. After thoroughly researching and debating which TE “fits” in New England, I believe it’s Niklas. His combination of size, mobility, and potential to block is exactly what the Patriots need. There is not another Aaron Hernandez in the draft, but there are Tight Ends that can compliment and provide insurance for Rob Gronkowski. Troy Niklas is the best of the bunch.

3rd Round - Jeremy Hill, RB LSU (6’1″/233)

The Patriots lose one big back in LeGarrette Blount and immediately replace him with another on in Jeremy Hill. Hill’s combination of size and speed, along with his better than advertised ability to catch the ball is exactly what this team needs right now. If we look at the Running Back position from top to bottom, there is tremendous uncertainty. Stevan Ridley and Shane Vereen are both entering the last year of their deals and both have had their issues at times (Fumbles, Injuries). After that that only other back on the roster is Brandon Bolden, who is a dime a dozen player. Hill would immediately enter the running back rotation and provide the offense with some of the same qualities Blount did. He’s an NFL ready runner, from a pro-style run scheme at LSU. While Hill could go in the late second round, some maturity and character questions will drop him into the third.

3rd Round (93) - Marcus Smith, DE/OLB, Louisville (6’3″/251)

Deciphering which pass rusher the Patriots will select this year is toughest part of this process in my opinion. The edge rush position isn’t as deep compared to other positions this year. If they elect to bypass the guys available to them in the last first round there is a drop off in talent in the 2nd-3rd Rounds, so I don’t think we see them select a traditional 4-3 Defensive End. Instead, I expect them to select another hybrid player that can not only rush the passer, but can drop into coverage and offer more versatility in the front seven.

Marcus Smith is an interesting prospect that is just scratching the surface. A former High School Quarterback that bounced back and forth between End and Outside Linebacker. What makes Smith attractive is his fluidity and his potential in coverage. Not only can this kid rush the passer from multiple alignments, he can drop into coverage and run with Tight Ends. His profile is similar to that of Jamie Collins in that regard. Smith can provide depth and impact at multiple positions and that’s why I believe he will be on the Patriots radar.

4th Round (130) - Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers (6’6″/225)
    This year’s draft is too deep and talented at Wide Receiver for the Patriots to completely bypass the position. I’m under the impression, that just because the re-signed Julian Edelman and signed Brandon LaFell, that does not mean they are done at receiver. Coleman is the type of player they don’t have on the roster. There are big receivers and then there is Coleman. Standing a legit 6’6″ tall, he’d provide the Patriots with a legitimate big man that can make an impact in the red zone and stretch the defense. Coleman had to suffer through poor Quarterback play and four offensive coordinators in four years at Rutgers. He has more potential than he was allowed to show in college. As we know, the Rutgers connection can never be overlooked.

4th Round  (140) (Compensatory) - Christian Kirksey, LB, Iowa (6’2″/233)

Kirksey has become a popular pick in Patriots mock drafts and it’s easy to understand why. Kirksey is a speedy linebacker that not only has the potential to develop into a three down linebacker, but has the skill-set to be an impact special teams player immediately in the NFL. Kirksey can provide depth at all three LB positions. He’s got great speed and the athleticism to match up in coverage with receivers, tight ends, and running backs. His intangibles are through the roof and like some of the other players in this mock, his best football is ahead of him. By adding Marcus Smith and Kirksey, the Patriots immediately become more deeper, more versatile, and much more athletic at the Linebacker position.

6th Round - Jemea Thomas, DB, Georgia Tech (5’9″/192)

Undersized, but versatile and productive defensive back. Thomas has played every position in the secondary and has been successful no matter where he plays. Thomas profiles as a depth and developmental prospect, but one that can add value on Special Teams immdiately. A lot has been made about that Patriots needing a big, physical Strong Safety, but that’s something they aren’t currently looking for.

6th Round (198) (via Philly) - Taylor Hart, DE/DT, Oregon (6’6″/281)

I still believe the Patriots lack that hybrid Defensive Lineman that can play 4-3 DE, 3-4 DT, and even 3-Technique in certain situations. They haven’t had a player like Taylor Hart in a few years now and it’s been missing in my opinion. Hart is a hard-nosed kid with great length. He holds the line, can occupy blockers, but also provide some pass rush when necessary. He’s a high character kid that broke his foot training for the Senior Bowl and can’t work out before the draft.

6th Round (206) - Zach Fulton, OG, Tennessee (6’4″/315)

Four year starter in the SEC, Fulton has been battle tested and actually very consistent. The depth on the Patriots interior Offensive Line is still lacking, but this is a position I could see the Patriots bypassing completely and just cherry picking the UDFA’s they like best. Nevertheless, Fulton is the reliable, coachable Lineman the Patriots tend to target. Nothing flashy about his game, he’s just performed at a high level, vs. top competition, for a long time.

7th Round (244) - Donald Hawkins, OT, Texas (6’5″/310)

Expect the Patriots to add a few depth Offensive Lineman late in the draft. Hawkins is a player that wasn’t invited to the combine, but NFL teams are very high on him. Played Left Tackle for two seasons at Texas and shows raw potential to warrant a late round pick. Marcus Cannon is in the last year of his contract and his role on the team is still in flux. After Nate Solder and Sebastian Vollmer, they lack a true Offensive Tackle, especially one they can develop. Keep an eye on Hopkins late in the draft.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

Thoughts on the most recent nepatriotsdraft.com mock?

I think most fans that know anything about prospects would be pretty dadgum happy with this haul.

1st Round (29) - ** TRADE**

The Patriots love to move around the draft board to acquire additional picks and still draft their player. This draft is notoriously deep with impact talent, so the chances of the Patriots trading back are pretty good. Teams looking to move up to draft their Quarterback or a skilled position player will have their eyes on this pick. For the sake of this mock let’s say the Patriots drop down into the middle of the 2nd round and pick up an extra 3rd and 6th in the process.

2nd Round - Dominique Easley, DT, Florida (6’2″/288)
    Even thought Vince Wilfork re-signed and Tommy Kelly restructured his contract, defensive tackle remains a position of need. There still isn’t a long term impact presence on the roster and there certainly isn’t a player like Easley. When healthy, Easley is one of the most disruptive interior defenders in the draft. He can line up just about anywhere on the defensive line and is extremely explosive off the ball. His best asset is his ability to penetrate and beat blocks with explosive hands. Easley’s best football is clearly ahead of him. Chalk this pick up as typical Patriots. Easley’s stock would be much higher if not for a second ACL tear suffered in the Fall. In this scenario, the Patriots trade out of the first round, acquire extra draft picks, and still select a player they want.

2nd Round (62) - Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame (6’6″/270)
    Everyone in their right mind expects the Patriots to select a Tight End at some point in the draft. The Free Agent market is dried up, so the only way we see the “two tight end” offense next season is if the Patriots come away with an impact Tight End early. After thoroughly researching and debating which TE “fits” in New England, I believe it’s Niklas. His combination of size, mobility, and potential to block is exactly what the Patriots need. There is not another Aaron Hernandez in the draft, but there are Tight Ends that can compliment and provide insurance for Rob Gronkowski. Troy Niklas is the best of the bunch.

3rd Round - Jeremy Hill, RB LSU (6’1″/233)

The Patriots lose one big back in LeGarrette Blount and immediately replace him with another on in Jeremy Hill. Hill’s combination of size and speed, along with his better than advertised ability to catch the ball is exactly what this team needs right now. If we look at the Running Back position from top to bottom, there is tremendous uncertainty. Stevan Ridley and Shane Vereen are both entering the last year of their deals and both have had their issues at times (Fumbles, Injuries). After that that only other back on the roster is Brandon Bolden, who is a dime a dozen player. Hill would immediately enter the running back rotation and provide the offense with some of the same qualities Blount did. He’s an NFL ready runner, from a pro-style run scheme at LSU. While Hill could go in the late second round, some maturity and character questions will drop him into the third.

3rd Round (93) - Marcus Smith, DE/OLB, Louisville (6’3″/251)

Deciphering which pass rusher the Patriots will select this year is toughest part of this process in my opinion. The edge rush position isn’t as deep compared to other positions this year. If they elect to bypass the guys available to them in the last first round there is a drop off in talent in the 2nd-3rd Rounds, so I don’t think we see them select a traditional 4-3 Defensive End. Instead, I expect them to select another hybrid player that can not only rush the passer, but can drop into coverage and offer more versatility in the front seven.

Marcus Smith is an interesting prospect that is just scratching the surface. A former High School Quarterback that bounced back and forth between End and Outside Linebacker. What makes Smith attractive is his fluidity and his potential in coverage. Not only can this kid rush the passer from multiple alignments, he can drop into coverage and run with Tight Ends. His profile is similar to that of Jamie Collins in that regard. Smith can provide depth and impact at multiple positions and that’s why I believe he will be on the Patriots radar.

4th Round (130) - Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers (6’6″/225)
    This year’s draft is too deep and talented at Wide Receiver for the Patriots to completely bypass the position. I’m under the impression, that just because the re-signed Julian Edelman and signed Brandon LaFell, that does not mean they are done at receiver. Coleman is the type of player they don’t have on the roster. There are big receivers and then there is Coleman. Standing a legit 6’6″ tall, he’d provide the Patriots with a legitimate big man that can make an impact in the red zone and stretch the defense. Coleman had to suffer through poor Quarterback play and four offensive coordinators in four years at Rutgers. He has more potential than he was allowed to show in college. As we know, the Rutgers connection can never be overlooked.

4th Round  (140) (Compensatory) - Christian Kirksey, LB, Iowa (6’2″/233)

Kirksey has become a popular pick in Patriots mock drafts and it’s easy to understand why. Kirksey is a speedy linebacker that not only has the potential to develop into a three down linebacker, but has the skill-set to be an impact special teams player immediately in the NFL. Kirksey can provide depth at all three LB positions. He’s got great speed and the athleticism to match up in coverage with receivers, tight ends, and running backs. His intangibles are through the roof and like some of the other players in this mock, his best football is ahead of him. By adding Marcus Smith and Kirksey, the Patriots immediately become more deeper, more versatile, and much more athletic at the Linebacker position.

6th Round - Jemea Thomas, DB, Georgia Tech (5’9″/192)

Undersized, but versatile and productive defensive back. Thomas has played every position in the secondary and has been successful no matter where he plays. Thomas profiles as a depth and developmental prospect, but one that can add value on Special Teams immdiately. A lot has been made about that Patriots needing a big, physical Strong Safety, but that’s something they aren’t currently looking for.

6th Round (198) (via Philly) - Taylor Hart, DE/DT, Oregon (6’6″/281)

I still believe the Patriots lack that hybrid Defensive Lineman that can play 4-3 DE, 3-4 DT, and even 3-Technique in certain situations. They haven’t had a player like Taylor Hart in a few years now and it’s been missing in my opinion. Hart is a hard-nosed kid with great length. He holds the line, can occupy blockers, but also provide some pass rush when necessary. He’s a high character kid that broke his foot training for the Senior Bowl and can’t work out before the draft.

6th Round (206) - Zach Fulton, OG, Tennessee (6’4″/315)

Four year starter in the SEC, Fulton has been battle tested and actually very consistent. The depth on the Patriots interior Offensive Line is still lacking, but this is a position I could see the Patriots bypassing completely and just cherry picking the UDFA’s they like best. Nevertheless, Fulton is the reliable, coachable Lineman the Patriots tend to target. Nothing flashy about his game, he’s just performed at a high level, vs. top competition, for a long time.

7th Round (244) - Donald Hawkins, OT, Texas (6’5″/310)

Expect the Patriots to add a few depth Offensive Lineman late in the draft. Hawkins is a player that wasn’t invited to the combine, but NFL teams are very high on him. Played Left Tackle for two seasons at Texas and shows raw potential to warrant a late round pick. Marcus Cannon is in the last year of his contract and his role on the team is still in flux. After Nate Solder and Sebastian Vollmer, they lack a true Offensive Tackle, especially one they can develop. Keep an eye on Hopkins late in the draft.

[/QUOTE]

I saw this.  Love it except for the Easly pick in the mid 2nd.  Can't get past his knees...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The (2) things that might annoy me the most when watching tape:

1.  DB's (or any defender for that matter) missing tackles.

2.  WR's half-a$$ing blocks.

Both happen all too frequently.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

on to the draft:

2nd - WR Donte Moncrief

3rd - S/LB Telvin Smith

6th - QB Logan Thomas

6th -  OL John Urschel

[/QUOTE]

That would be a great haul. Things that jumped out at me about Moncrief is he works the sideline well and can block very well (which BB/NC value alot).

I really like Arthur Lynch on day 3. He shows a lot of potential. Good pass catcher, I think he needs a little work on blocking but its certainly not a flaw in his game by any means

What do you think of the chances they can can land both Tuitt and Nix in round 2? Is that just wishful thinking?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Question for you guys. What position do you see the Pats double dipping at? For me it's TE.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Cheese,

I could see them double dipping at OL - later in the draft and LB - to replace Spikes and Fletcher. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to Homecheese, Yes.  The idea of landing Tuitt and Nix in the 2nd is very wishful thinking. Sorry Man.  Even landing Nix at 29 is a definite long shot.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

[QUOTE]

Question for you guys. What position do you see the Pats double dipping at? For me it's TE.

[/QUOTE]

I think they double dip at the DT/DE position.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking TE or DL.