***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to kezzamuzza's comment:

Sorry folks meant DT's not DE's ........have question marks. Meaning are Hageman, Tuitt or Nix worthy of pick number 29 according to BB. 

Think we see DE or LB as Fletcher , Spikes gone as well as light on for others as mentioned in previous post. Thoughts?

To me any of the 3 are worth of the 1st pick.

Hageman has the highest potential of all of them and if he lives up to that potential has Watt type of upside (top 5 DT talent) but also has the biggest bust potential. Has good scheme versatility

Nix has Wilfork type of upside but knee issues at his age and weight is a very scary thing, but still if you are looking for a Wilfork replacement the same way Wilfork was a Washington replacement Nix is a good bet.

Tuitt doesn't have the potential that either the other ones has and the stress fracture is a big concern if it was a one off injury or an indication of structure issues in his bones but he has Ty Warren if not slightly high potential. A very solid starter, maybe not probowl caliber but he's someone you can expect to get consistent numbers year in and year out with some scheme versatility.

I'd be happy with any of the 3 in the 1st

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sorry folks meant DT's not DE's ........have question marks. Meaning are Hageman, Tuitt or Nix worthy of pick number 29 according to BB. 

Think we see DE or LB as Fletcher , Spikes gone as well as light on for others as mentioned in previous post. Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

To me any of the 3 are worth of the 1st pick.

Hageman has the highest potential of all of them and if he lives up to that potential has Watt type of upside (top 5 DT talent) but also has the biggest bust potential. Has good scheme versatility

Nix has Wilfork type of upside but knee issues at his age and weight is a very scary thing, but still if you are looking for a Wilfork replacement the same way Wilfork was a Washington replacement Nix is a good bet.

Tuitt doesn't have the potential that either the other ones has and the stress fracture is a big concern if it was a one off injury or an indication of structure issues in his bones but he has Ty Warren if not slightly high potential. A very solid starter, maybe not probowl caliber but he's someone you can expect to get consistent numbers year in and year out with some scheme versatility.

I'd be happy with any of the 3 in the 1st

[/QUOTE]

I'd be thrilled with either Hageman or Nix at 29.  Either guy would be a huge boost to the DL.  Tuitt, not in the 1st.  I'm worried about his long term health with that foot.  If they trade back and get him in the 2nd, fine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm not a big fan of Kelvin Benjamin, I just think he's too inconsistent catching the football. If he's dropping balls in warm weather Florida, against college corners, what's he going to do in the cold against NFL corners and linebackers? And what is this guy? A tightend or receiver? Because he's got a long way to go to be a tightend (size/strength wise) and he doesn't seem fast enough to be a receiver. He gained 18 pounds since the combine and is still talking about himself as a receiver. I've hard some say he will convert to a move tightend, and that makes some sense, only he still will need to catch the ball better and he had better not lose any of the 4.67 speed he has.

So why is everyone so high on him? Is it just because of his size? I'm curious.

[/QUOTE]

The hands piece are a question mark as they've been inconsistent, but it seems to be due more to concentration lapses and rawness as he has huge 10 1/4 in hands.  He tends to make the difficult catch, but will drop an easy one from time to time.  It's a fair criticism and could be magnified in colder weather.

He was 240 at the Combine, are you saying he's 258 now?

I think he's a kid that can play WR and move TE as he'll really present matchups for DB's/LB's... I think 4.61 is plenty fast for a player that's 6-5 240... he plays fast.

Why is everyone high on him?  Because he's 6-5 240 pounds of athletic upside that teams will need to scheme to stop as he'll create matchup issues wherever he lines up... what he can provide is a premium in today's NFL.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Thomas_Paine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What do you guys think of BB drafting similar players to what they have already?  

DE Kony Ealy is very similar in size to Chandler Jones

TE Fiedorowicz is also similar in size to Gronk

In your opinion, would it make sense to draft players of like size?  or do you think BB would prefer someone like Tuitt on the other side of the D Line, and maybe an H Back to compliment Gronk.

[/QUOTE]

BB clearly places value on size/length, but it's only part of the equation... a lot also hinges on their ability to run and change direction.

For the comps above, Ealy is very, very similar to Chandler in height and length, he also has long arms and had very good triangle #'s at the combine.  I've been comparing him to Chandler due to his all around skill set for a while.

CJF is another kid with very good size, but also moves well... he doesn't have Gronk's talent/upside, but he's a pretty good prospect that meets a lot of their requirements for the position.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

MB

Really think if we look at the history and need for the Pats ......pass rushing and weakness in OL have been the most critical factors in our last two SB losses. Agree?

I think execution played a huge factor in their (2) SB losses... they didn't make the plays when they needed to, and the NYG did.

Therefore those factors plus a TE are to me the areas where BB should be concerned with. If I can see that how come we end up with all these busts for choices at CB particularly?

I don't have insight into what they see in a particular player or draft pick, so I don't know how to answer.

If we have virtually same DE's ( Jones and Nink ) and LB's Hightower, Collins and Mayo along with same OL how are we going to improve? I'm not talking about projects here but we need impact players in those spots now to make a difference. Depth is not there.

We should see the impact of Revis pretty early... if he stays healthy, he'll essentially take away half the field, which should improve the entire defense, including the pass rush.  With that said, I think edge rush depth is def needed as rolling out the same (2) players on every snap can wear them out... I'd like to see them build depth on the edge, which would allow them to continuously roll out fresh players, like Seattle does.  Collins is also in his 2nd season, so you could see some improvement in his game... kind of like we saw late in the season/during the playoffs last year... you also didn't have Mayo at the end of the season or in the playoffs, which hurt.

With possibly the better ones gone in free agency are they coming from the draft? Or do we get picks from left field again eg Ras I, Wilson, Wheatley, Wilhite, Butler, etc etc, etc.

Who are your impact players NOW! Top DE's in our range all have question marks. 

I'd still love to see someone from the below list in Rd 1:

Ealy

Tuitt

Attaochu

Shazier

Hageman

Benjamin

Ford

Fuller

I also have a lot of interest in Nix and Jernigan if they're available.

[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

For those interested in who the Pats have had contract with nepatriotsdraft.com keeps a very good running list:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014-patriots-draft-contacts

Some names we've discussed are found on the list. Not going to mention combine interviews as there are tons but generally here are some interesting names the Pats have taken longer looks at:

• Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State (PW)
    • Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State (PW)
    • Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina (PW)
    • Mike Evans, WR Texas A&M (PW)
    • C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa (CI, OV)
    • Trey Hopkins, OG, Texas (PW)
    • Kelcy Quarles, DT, South Carolina (PW)
    • Stephon Tuitt, DL, Notre Dame (OV)
    • Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, Georgia Tech (OV)

Well that just brought a smile to my face!  Great to see that they have at least some level of interest in players that we've discussed as good fits!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Alright time for my mock 7.0. Some names have changed but I'm sure you guys will recognize most. Some thoughts on why I did what I did:

Trading back the 1st - I see the same tell tale signs that BB doesn't want to keep the pick as I saw in past years. He's playing games with the top QB's in hopes they will fall and someone will trade up to get them (ie see Tebow draft). The only times I've seen him PW potential top 15 players is when he either had a top 20 pick or when he traded out of the 1st.

Drafting no QB - Everyone thinks this is the year they draft Brady's replacement but other than McCarron and Murray (who I don't think BB likes his size) there are major issues with all the QB's across the board in this years draft. Not to mention you only have them for 4 years which means if Brady lasts 3 more years then you only get one year to truely evaluate a player under in game situations efore having to lock him up. Next year's draft looks much stronger for QB's right now and even if they have to get a bandaid for a year I can see BB waiting 2 years to draft a QB. I think he'll draft Brady's replacement in the next 2-3 years but I don't think it's this year. Maybe in the 1st next year.

Chung signing - Chung was one of the worst S's in the league last year but that they brought him in for competition and they haven't released A. Wilson says to me they might not be looking at S in the draft. They might wait a year unless someone really falls or take a mid round guy with high upside that can be red shirted but I'm not seeing them really going early for one.

OL - I think they like Kline and Wendell and see them as future players so they might not spend early in the draft and instead maybe get another project and see how Mankins, Solder, and Vollmer hold up this year and look at OL next year.

on to the draft:

1st - Traded for a 2nd, 4th, and 5th. There is no shortage of teams who need QB's Hou, Jax, Clev, Rams, Bucs, Minn, Tenn but really there are 4 QB's worth drafting in the first 2 rounds and you can argue non worth drafting in the top 15. I think we see 1 maybe 2 QB's go in the top 15 which means those other teams will be fighting to get the one or two that drop. I could see the Rams, Bucs, or Tenn trading up with the Pats for one of those QB's

Traded 2nd - Stephon Tuitt DE/DT ND -  like in many other years we all complained about BB trading back I see the possibility Tuitt, Nix, and Hageman could be sitting there at #29 and then be gone by the time the Pats pick again in the 2nd. BB has a pool of 6 players instead of targetting 1 or 2 so it wouldn't surprise me. I think passing on Hageman is going to come back and bit BB on this one. However, because of the stress fracture I think Tuitt falls a bit and BB grabs him well either him or Nix will fall because of the injury. He's coming in for a PW and I think this will be the PW ends up drafting.

2nd - CJ Fiedorowicz TE Iowa - You guys know I'm a big fan and I think BB is too. Interviewed him at the combine, has a connection with his coach at Iowa, same body shape, frame, and tech that BB loves in his TE's. This guy screams Pats to me and BB will take him a bit early to make sure he gets him.

3rd - Brandon Coleman WR Rutgers - Another guy BB has been linked to. RZ was an esp soar sticking point for the Pats last season and BB loves mismatches. Coleman could be the biggest mismatch possibility in the draft. If Harrison catches I could see these two as massive mismatch issues in the RZ and have them used in multiple positions as tweener jokers/possession guys

Traded 4th - Will Clark DE WV - I know I've been pushing the Lynch train as a pass rusher but hearing about off-field issues has me thinking Lynch might be a 7th or UDFA prospect at this point. Clark however, is a sleeper prospect who had a great east-west (something BB loves to see) and followed up with a solid combine. He's 6'6" 275 and 4.75 speed and 22 reps (impressive give his arm length). He has explosiveness and high potential as a pass rushing prospect.

4th - Jerrick McKinnon RB GA S - He's got an explosive burst, great strength, can take hits and bounce off players, and was impressive at the Senior bowl blowing past seasoned defenders. He also blew away the combine with top 5 performance in everything he did. We converted Edelman to a WR now they have a converted QB as a RB. It makes sense as this being Vereens last contract year if he can't stay healthy McKinnon would fill his role perfectly

Comp 4th - Dakota Dozier G Furmen - Now for this years 'who dat' pick. McKinnon could have been that type of label but this one I think 99.5% of people have no clue who this kid is but there is a massive buzz about him. He's a DII OT that has the build built for a G. Impressive footwork and power to open up holes. I can see him as a RG to moves to LG once Mankins is done.

Traded 5th - Joe Dun Duncan TE Dixie State - Another 'who dat' pick makes 3 in a row and people are going bald! but Joe Dun could be the steal of a TE class. Though not as tall as CJ or Gronk he's a joker TE with a body meant to block. I wouldn't be shocked to see BB load up on O weapons this draft for Brady and build in a ton of comp this year

6th - Zach Fulton G Tenn - he's listed as a guard but he showed impressive footwork at the combine and has the size and speed to be a T. I see him as a swing guy who primarily will back up G but can flex out to T if need be

6th - Steele Divitto OLB BC - Divitto is kind of like Bruschi in a way. He's not the fastest guy, nor the most athletic guy but he has a great nose for the ball and is a high work ethic grinder. If you are looking for a 4th LB Divitto might surprise you. He can line up outside or in and just has a great game sense about him. I think he could easily take over the Fletcher role.

7th - Andrew Miller C VT - Miller is a project. He needs to add about 20lbs in the pro's but he had great games against GT and NC and was even a ACC OL of the week player. Odd to see him this far back but well worth the risk as a developmental player.

Might not be the D knock out we hoped but completely rebuilds the O while adding good prospective depth on the OL. Also adds some good talent to the front 7 and some much need ability to get pressure on the QB.

[/QUOTE]

Well we both picked a DL first (although attaochu is more a de/lb than dt )and TE second.

i like CJ as well, but thete is something about Niklas that tells me he could have a better pro career. I don't think we could go wrong with either one, and both block effectively and can catch. Cj might be more pro ready and if thete were no question marks on Gronk, I would take Niklas....I still want to..lol

coleman actually reminds me a lot of Harrison..in terms of his strengths and weaknesses. Both get A grades as willing blockers, both questionable hands, most almost everything I read says Coleman lacks separation ability. He has decent speed, but he isn't going to blped s DB's. I think he would be a decent possession receiver with some upside. 

PI like your Joe dun Duncan pick in the fifth. Makes sense and makes sense to double up on TEs. Like Coleman, I don't think we would see much production out of him, so loading up for depth and growth is the way I would think about the 2 of them. 

[/QUOTE]

Like both the trade scenario and the mock, hadn't had a chance to post last few days.  

Tomorrow I'll be running a 2nd poster mock, see how it changes this time around.  We'll go 2 full rounds no trades.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What do you guys think of BB drafting similar players to what they have already?  

In your opinion, would it make sense to draft players of like size?  or do you think BB would prefer someone like Tuitt on the other side of the D Line, and maybe an H Back to compliment Gronk.

[/QUOTE]

BB clearly places value on size/length, but it's only part of the equation... a lot also hinges on their ability to run and change direction.

For the comps above, Ealy is very, very similar to Chandler in height and length, he also has long arms and had very good triangle #'s at the combine.  I've been comparing him to Chandler due to his all around skill set for a while.

CJF is another kid with very good size, but also moves well... he doesn't have Gronk's talent/upside, but he's a pretty good prospect that meets a lot of their requirements for the position.

[/QUOTE]

Including top 3 cone numbers at the combine for TE's. BB loves him some 3 cone

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Like both the trade scenario and the mock, hadn't had a chance to post last few days.  

Tomorrow I'll be running a 2nd poster mock, see how it changes this time around.  We'll go 2 full rounds no trades.  

[/QUOTE]

Why not start the mock today? ;)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Question for you guys. What position do you see the Pats double dipping at? For me it's TE.

[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking TE or DL.

[/QUOTE]

For some reason I keep thinking of LB, if any of the big 3 go down there's no one I'm too confident behind them.  Love for them to get another cover/blitz guy (speed) and a thumper with better movement than Spikes had.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Including top 3 cone numbers at the combine for TE's. BB loves him some 3 cone

[/QUOTE]

You ain't kiddin'... It's the 3C drill, THEN Linda Holliday... in that order.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Using PE's trade scenario here's a mock I personally would be happy with:

1st traded

2nd T - Dequan Jones DT only reason Tuitt is not here is that I don't think he will be there to pick.  Reason I have Jones even as not as a polished guy is IMO he has the power to take on multiple blocks but has quickness to rush inside as well as able to play in multiple fronts.  Even though he's probably a year or two away from reaching potential in a rotation this kid could help year one.    

2nd  - C.J. Fiedorowicz TE think enough has been said

3rd - Telvin Smith OLB/SS although he wants to remain at LB I think one pick helps two areas.  When playing SS assignment which IMO he has very good instints and movement skills to play, he attacks the LOS.  Just a smart kid who's size probably makes him slide into 3rd round (at least I hope).

4th T - Kevin Norwood WR one of my favorite players in this draft, a 25 year old rookie WR.  IMHO, he has the tools to give both Dobson and Thompkins a run for their money.  I think he's way underated, there are negatives like not having eye poping numbers at Alabama but his strengths are what Pats could use in a WR.  Next to Edelman could be TBs next favorite WR target.  lol yeah I might be a little to high on the kid.

4th - Adrian Hubbard OLB/ILB/DE TBD lol This kid is hard to project, has length strength to play DE but has movement (not elite), and experience playing LB at Alabama.  Like Hightower (not as gifted offcourse) this guy could play multiple positions.

4th C - Brent Urban DE/DT I know I will get shot for this, reminds me to a poor man's J.J. Watt.  This is not a finished product, he shows flashes but still mastering his abilities.  If he doesn't get to QB will bat balls down, long arms allows him to keep blockers away from body and shed blocks.  Needs to develop but could be a very good DT/DE with coaching and as another rotation guy this year could help that interior pass rush/3rd down D.

5th T - Anthony Steen OG Solid OG can play both in run game and pass protection, needs to improve against 2nd rush moves.

6th T - Aaron Lynch DE This is a roll of the dice, cbs and other sites compare him to Coples as, very bad effort tape but off the charts physical ability.  Based on physical abilities alone, ignoring for a second his bad effort tape this guy should be a late day 1 early day 2 pick.  He has that speed and power, but add tape and he just doesn't show it.  Under the right system with the right guys in the locker room could be 5 years from now a "how did he make it to the 6th round"

6th - David Fluellen RB Big tough RB who catches the ball extremely well, lateral movement is much better than n/s speed but runs good routes.  Patient between OT runner who chews up yardage.

7th - Casey Pachall QB Story is almost identical to Mallet's.

Not your star filled up mock.  Some players I'm higher than most on, some are a bit of a gamble but HUGE upside/payoff.  For OL, I think Steen can start at RG moving Connolly back to OC.  I like that idea a lot better than Connoly and Wendel.  

LBs IMO important in this draft, there's little depth behind the big 3.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

1st traded

2nd T - Dequan Jones DT only reason Tuitt is not here is that I don't think he will be there to pick.  Reason I have Jones even as not as a polished guy is IMO he has the power to take on multiple blocks but has quickness to rush inside as well as able to play in multiple fronts.  Even though he's probably a year or two away from reaching potential in a rotation this kid could help year one.    

3rd - Telvin Smith OLB/SS although he wants to remain at LB I think one pick helps two areas.  When playing SS assignment which IMO he has very good instints and movement skills to play, he attacks the LOS.  Just a smart kid who's size probably makes him slide into 3rd round (at least I hope).

4th T - Kevin Norwood WR one of my favorite players in this draft, a 25 year old rookie WR.  IMHO, he has the tools to give both Dobson and Thompkins a run for their money.  I think he's way underated, there are negatives like not having eye poping numbers at Alabama but his strengths are what Pats could use in a WR.  Next to Edelman could be TBs next favorite WR target.  lol yeah I might be a little to high on the kid.

4th - Adrian Hubbard OLB/ILB/DE TBD lol This kid is hard to project, has length strength to play DE but has movement (not elite), and experience playing LB at Alabama.  Like Hightower (not as gifted offcourse) this guy could play multiple positions.

4th C - Brent Urban DE/DT I know I will get shot for this, reminds me to a poor man's J.J. Watt.  This is not a finished product, he shows flashes but still mastering his abilities.  If he doesn't get to QB will bat balls down, long arms allows him to keep blockers away from body and shed blocks.  Needs to develop but could be a very good DT/DE with coaching and as another rotation guy this year could help that interior pass rush/3rd down D.

5th T - Anthony Steen OG Solid OG can play both in run game and pass protection, needs to improve against 2nd rush moves.

6th T - Aaron Lynch DE This is a roll of the dice, cbs and other sites compare him to Coples as, very bad effort tape but off the charts physical ability.  Based on physical abilities alone, ignoring for a second his bad effort tape this guy should be a late day 1 early day 2 pick.  He has that speed and power, but add tape and he just doesn't show it.  Under the right system with the right guys in the locker room could be 5 years from now a "how did he make it to the 6th round"

6th - David Fluellen RB Big tough RB who catches the ball extremely well, lateral movement is much better than n/s speed but runs good routes.  Patient between OT runner who chews up yardage.

Not your star filled up mock.  Some players I'm higher than most on, some are a bit of a gamble but HUGE upside/payoff.  For OL, I think Steen can start at RG moving Connolly back to OC.  I like that idea a lot better than Connoly and Wendel.  

[/QUOTE]

Love it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

1st traded

[/QUOTE]

Maybe a little too early on Jones, but I understand the pick.  I would take this draft right now and run like heck.  Great job.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

1st traded

[/QUOTE]

I'd take it. You know I like Lynch, the only reason I didn't take him is because I think he falls to be a FA after latest off-field issue reports so I went more towards depth. I like D. Jones but it feels like a pick because he's the last decent DT left before the big drop off in talent. If that was the case I'd rather keep the 1st but I think BB sees it differently and would say that was the value at that pick. Not sure you did enough with the OL depth though and not a big fan of Norwood personally (too similar to Dobson) but I'll take him. Urban is not a bad pick and I certainly like the kid but he has a short ceiling and a poor mans Watt he is not. Similar height but that's where the comparisons stop.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

I tried my first 7 rounder yesterday.....it was a b_ll buster to do ...I simplified the process by using the Draft Tek's  "Team Need" chart , which is faily detailed, and their "Big Board" for player rankings. (As a cross check I compared Draft Tek's Big Board against Great Blue Northern's Big Board...there are several differences but are close enough to be accurate).

First, this was my first 7 rounder for all teams..it was an exhausting process....the first two rounds even using a team needs approach, and NOT a "best player available" approach, were pretty similar to what you see in most mock drafts with a few notable exceptions...after the first two rounds all heck broke loose...it's not nearly as easy as you might expect...try it sometime...it's a very humbling experience....

Observations:

Based on cited team needs, there is a dearth of FS , SS and ILB/MLB positions this year

Based on cited team needs, there are plentiful 3/4 OLB, WR positions

Anyways, the Pats picks came out as follows....I tried to make picks that took into account team needs versus available talent given what I know about the Pats from following them for years and given what is discussed on these threads:

ALSO...NO TRADES...THAT MAKES THE EFFORT ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE

1ST RD PICK.... Tuitt/DT-DE/ND

2nd RD PICK.....Jones/DT/Penn State

3rd RD PICK......Fiedorowicz/TE/Iowa

4th RD PICK.....a)Stork/C/Fla. State

b)Starr/OLB/No. Dakota

6th RD PICK.....a)Thomas/QB/Va. Tech

b)Brown/ILB/Louisville

7TH RD PICK     Morris/OLB/Iowa

If I went back I'd probably try to grab more speed at a 4/3 OLB position earlier, possibly an OT later in the draft given the unceratinty of Sea Bass' broken ankle and how severe it was...also, I'd have to seriously consider taking a SS much earlier in order to grab one at all...one thing is for cetain, because of the 90 or so underclassmen declaring for the draft, their will be beaucoup priority FA's this year.....OL , RB's and WR's should be in abundance, as well as kr's.

Let er rip folks!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

I tried my first 7 rounder yesterday.....it was a b_ll buster to do ...I simplified the process by using the Draft Tek's  "Team Need" chart , which is faily detailed, and their "Big Board" for player rankings. (As a cross check I compared Draft Tek's Big Board against Great Blue Northern's Big Board...there are several differences but are close enough to be accurate).

First, this was my first 7 rounder for all teams..it was an exhausting process....the first two rounds even using a team needs approach, and NOT a "best player available" approach, were pretty similar to what you see in most mock drafts with a few notable exceptions...after the first two rounds all heck broke loose...it's not nearly as easy as you might expect...try it sometime...it's a very humbling experience....

Observations:

Based on cited team needs, there is a dearth of FS , SS and ILB/MLB positions this year

Anyways, the Pats picks came out as follows....I tried to make picks that took into account team needs versus available talent given what I know about the Pats from following them for years and given what is discussed on these threads:

b)Starr/OLB/No. Dakota

b)Brown/ILB/Louisville

If I went back I'd probably try to grab more speed at a 4/3 OLB position earlier, possibly an OT later in the draft given the unceratinty of Sea Bass' broken ankle and how severe it was...also, I'd have to seriously consider taking a SS much earlier in order to grab one at all...one thing is for cetain, because of the 90 or so underclassmen declaring for the draft, their will be beaucoup priority FA's this year.....OL , RB's and WR's should be in abundance, as well as kr's.

Let er rip folks!

I'd like to see a pass rusher in there and I hope they snag a WR in this loaded class, but I'd be pretty happy with the haul overall.

Exhaustive is right!  That's a ton of research and effort!  Nice work.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[/QUOTE]

I'd take it. You know I like Lynch, the only reason I didn't take him is because I think he falls to be a FA after latest off-field issue reports so I went more towards depth. I like D. Jones but it feels like a pick because he's the last decent DT left before the big drop off in talent. If that was the case I'd rather keep the 1st but I think BB sees it differently and would say that was the value at that pick. Not sure you did enough with the OL depth though and not a big fan of Norwood personally (too similar to Dobson) but I'll take him. Urban is not a bad pick and I certainly like the kid but he has a short ceiling and a poor mans Watt he is not. Similar height but that's where the comparisons stop.

[/QUOTE]

They even wear the same # lol

Yeah I had a couple of DTs at that spot to choose but they were undersized for what I think they would look towards.  D Jones although might be 10 picks too early say that pick is mid to early 40s, he is the last one of those DT types and does have a high ceiling if he can fix a few things.

And like you, I think Lynch with the right people around him!  Watch out if it clicks.  On the OL, they basically have the starting line back.  Depth is the question but if you have Steen start at ROG Connolly OC then wendell is backup OC and one of the 2nd year guys will earn a spot.  Both have things to like about them at OG.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'm really interested to see what Jarvis Landry's 40 time is at LSU's Pro Day this week.  He ran a 4.77 at the combine, but looks faster than that on tape.  I was very high on him early on after watching his tape, but that 40 time was horrific.

Overally, I really like this kid's game, he's on the shorter side, but is solidly built at 5-11 205 and has big 10/14 inch mits.  He's more sudden than fast, is tough after the catch, solid/clean route runner, is a reliable hands catcher that can pluck on the run, he works the middle of the field and generally gives a solid effort as a blocker... competitive kid.  Reminds me a bit of a smaller Anquan Boldin.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They even wear the same # lol

Yeah I had a couple of DTs at that spot to choose but they were undersized for what I think they would look towards.  D Jones although might be 10 picks too early say that pick is mid to early 40s, he is the last one of those DT types and does have a high ceiling if he can fix a few things.

And like you, I think Lynch with the right people around him!  Watch out if it clicks.  On the OL, they basically have the starting line back.  Depth is the question but if you have Steen start at ROG Connolly OC then wendell is backup OC and one of the 2nd year guys will earn a spot.  Both have things to like about them at OG.

[/QUOTE]

You don't have to sell me on urban. I have him mocked to the pats as well. Although I had him a round earlier. I would be even more happy using a 4th on him. 

I don't know if he compares to watt well. Few do. But regardless, he has good size and decent athleticism. Yes, he needs plenty of refinement, but I think he could rotate now and serve as an upgrade over both Busty Budreaux, and vellano. 

If we are looking at a s potential starter, I don't think he is the guy, but as a solid rotational player, I like him. i have seen him play inside as a 4-3 DT, and I think he does a nice job getting some push and using his long arms, has active hands. I think he needs to add more sbulk and strength, and improve his technique. If he does, he will be both a good 4-3 DT, and, 3-4 de. I still would like to see bb grab 2 along the DL. Question is where? I don't think bb is going to roll the dice on Kelly and vw staying healthy. Because after them, we don't have any starting material. Just my 2 cents..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

Observations:

b)Starr/OLB/No. Dakota

b)Brown/ILB/Louisville

Let er rip folks!

I'd like to see a pass rusher in there and I hope they snag a WR in this loaded class, but I'd be pretty happy with the haul overall.

[/QUOTE]

Same here...what's the drop off at DT after round 2? It doesn't seem as deep as wr for example this year. My vote is to grab a pass rushing de/olb with our 1 st pick. Ealy is my first option followed by Attaochu. What I like about Attaochu is his versatility When compared to Ealy. I honestly think Attaochu can plat olb/ILB in both 3 or 4, and de in a 4. I like that combo because we need depth at lb as well and we could address both with 1 pick. Conversly, Ealy address both de and DT in a 4 man line. This is why I am asking about DT depth...it would impact which direction I go with the 2.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Observations:

b)Starr/OLB/No. Dakota

b)Brown/ILB/Louisville

Let er rip folks!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Same here...what's the drop off at DT after round 2? It doesn't seem as deep as wr for example this year. My vote is to grab a pass rushing de/olb with our 1 st pick. Ealy is my first option followed by Attaochu. What I like about Attaochu is his versatility When compared to Ealy. I honestly think Attaochu can plat olb/ILB in both 3 or 4, and de in a 4. I like that combo because we need depth at lb as well and we could address both with 1 pick. Conversly, Ealy address both de and DT in a 4 man line. This is why I am asking about DT depth...it would impact which direction I go with the 2.

[/QUOTE]

I too have Ealy followed by Attaochu at the top of my board.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

1st traded

2nd T - Dequan Jones DT    

2nd  - C.J. Fiedorowicz TE

3rd - Telvin Smith OLB/SS

4th T - Kevin Norwood WR

4th - Adrian Hubbard OLB/ILB/DE TBD lol

4th C - Brent Urban DE/DT I know

5th T - Anthony Steen OG

6th T - Aaron Lynch DE

6th - David Fluellen RB

7th - Casey Pachall QB

[/QUOTE]

I like this a lot. I ldefinitely like the double dip on DT. I believe they need a potential starter in the draft. I speculate that Siliga and Kelly will be the main DTs. VW's come back is at risk. I think they need to take one between Jones, Vellano and Armstead. The fifth DT spot wil come from the draft.

Norwood would be a great pickup. He's not a sexy pick, I think he will be available in the later end of the fourth or even in the fifth. No need to pick him up early in the fourth.

I's prefer they take two OLs in the fourth and fifth. If they had to take only one OL, I'd prefer they take a C -- Stork. He would probably have to be taken in the fourth - the Hubbard pick.

The last thing is the QB. I actually spent some time following Pachall's progress when he came back. I have my doubts. He is not the same QB, mentally. He lost a lot of confidence. I don't know if he will everrecoever that in the NFL.

The QB I like is Savage. I thought he was the best decision-maker that range. He has good arm strength and very good accuracy. I am not sure if he is mobile.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

I tried my first 7 rounder yesterday.....it was a b_ll buster ...

First, this was my first 7 rounder for all teams..it was an exhausting process......

[/QUOTE]

SMH. Why would you do that? When did it start becoming a chore? After second round? You are insane.

I hope you had fun.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Can one of you guys clarify things for me? Did Brady get sacked more times last year than any season since 2001? If this is true (along with completion % lower than usual) then the Pats brass really has to look at the O Line; I am thinking something from round 4 on....definitely day two/three pick ;OG with Center ability or experience would be ideal; I like Hageman and Telvin Smith picks for some mocks, however, if Kelvin Benjamin is there do you pick him. As previously stated I could also see a situation where one of the top 5 QBs falls and the Pats 1st becomes a marketable pick to shop.

Part of the completion % drop is due to the absence of Gronk and Amendola for extended periods of time and some could be due the inconsistantcy and injuries of Thompkins and Dobson. Rookie WRs and too many injuries in WR corps.

I really appreciate all the work MB, PatsENg, Wazzu Melle Mel (and the Furious Five)and others are putting into this. And I know some have OG and C in their mocks.