***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I believe Kenny Guiton is the QB that the Pats are targeting. Round 6-7. If there is one collegiate player who exemplifies the Patriot Way, it's Kenny G. If you listen to his interviews you will think he's already played for BB in the past. His story is reminiscent of a young Tom Brady.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

He's prob on the Day 3 short list if they're looking to target QB there, yeah.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm calling it now.  This year's patented BB "reach," Brock Vereen in the 3rd.  I wouldn't mind.  I doubt he is there in the 6th anyway like everyone seems to be predicting.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

good prediction. Shane's brother and we know BB loves to reach for S's with intelligence and some versatility. To bad they don't have the athletic ability and talent to match  >.<

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

To Piggy-Back off of MB's idea, Here are My Top 4 Per Round...

Round 1:

Shazier, Benjamin, Seferian-Jenkins, Hageman

Round 2:

Niklas, Telvin Smith, Bucannon, Sankey

Round 3:

Fiedorwicz, Mettenberger, Marcus Smith, Borland

Round 4:

Urban, Craig Loston, Ellington, Coleman

Round 5:

Exum, Vereen, Caraun Reid, Joe Jon Duncan

Round 6:

Jerrick McKinnon, Devonta Freeman, Logan Thomas, Kadeem Edwards

Round 7:

Brandon Thomas, Urschel, Lomboko, Purifoy

*My Wild-Card Player is Ohio St. RB Carlos Hyde.  I really, really like him and think he could be a very elite RB in the NFL.  I know it isn't considered "Good Value" to draft a RB in the 1st this day and age, but I wouldn't put it past BB to take Hyde at 29, and I would be very happy with the pick if it happened.  I think he is a special combination of size, speed, vision, burst, and power.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'll be interested to see if he pops on Hill or Hyde on Day 2.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Hyde is a beast!  He took it upon himself to will OSU to victory against Northwestern.  I would be estatic if BB took him at 29 or traded down to early in the 2nd and took him there.  Would be a great replacement for Blount. can run and catch, not to mention very hard to bring down!  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'm calling it now.  This year's patented BB "reach," Brock Vereen in the 3rd.  I wouldn't mind.  I doubt he is there in the 6th anyway like everyone seems to be predicting.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

good prediction. Shane's brother and we know BB loves to reach for S's with intelligence and some versatility. To bad they don't have the athletic ability and talent to match  >.<

[/QUOTE]

LOL!  Yep.  History shows that he will make at least 1 head- scratcher pick.  I think Vereen could be that guy who he really wants, and I could see him taking him earlier than expected to make sure he gets him.  I'm sticking with Vereen in the 3rd.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Distinct possibility the head-scratcheer will come in the 1st: USC C Macrus Martin. Mike Reiss speculates as much in today's piece .

Our recent playoff losses always leave me asking for an upgrade in the interior OL.Wendel is just not big, strong enough.

Happy Easter everyone!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement]

And at least most people have heard of him, ha.  As far as predictions go, I think it's a sound one, because he makes sense from an intangibles, measurables (very good 40/3C/SS), versatility and bloodlines standpoint.

If I had to predict one "reach" (outside of Vereen), I'd go with Iowa LB Christian Kirksey, say in Rd 2 (generally projected in Rd 4)... good sized kid (6-2 233) that can run (4.5 40 at his Pro Day), play in space and cover (frequently walked out over the slot and would present BB/MP with some versatility on the defensive side of the ball (also utilized in blitz packages)... he also appears to have strong intangibles, is durable, and we all know about the program pedigree/connection.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Distinct possibility the head-scratcheer will come in the 1st: USC C Macrus Martin. Mike Reiss speculates as much in today's piece .

Our recent playoff losses always leave me asking for an upgrade in the interior OL.Wendel is just not big, strong enough.

Happy Easter everyone!

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yeah, it certainly fills a need, but I'd prefer a Joel Bitonio if they target OL in Rd 1.  Has OG/OT versatility and some think he can play all (5) positions.  BB is sure to love the 3C/SS and 10 yard splits... and I've talked about him as a potential Mankins type sleeper (he even wears #70) in Rd 1.

If Martin or Richburg's name is called at #29, I can't say that I'd be ecstatic, but both look like solid football players.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

So, it's fun to think about BB trading back, acquiring more picks, and drafting 10 good players this year, but the truth is that we don't really have room for that many guys.  We already have quite a bit of young depth developing, and I hate to cut some of those guys just to bring in similar players.  Maybe they should be aggressive early and target two impact players.  They might get good value on trading UP since so many teams want to move back and acquire an extra mid-round pick.  Here is an idea:

#23  Louis Nix III   *NE gives up #29 and their 3rd; receives #23 and KC's 5th (163)*

#53  2nd Rnd  Austin Seferian-Jenkins    TE   UW  *NE gives up #62, #130 (4th), and #206 (6th); receives #53 & GB's 6th (197)*

4th Rnd Comp   Brent Urban  DE  UVA

#163 5th Rnd  (from KC)   Brock Vereen   S   Minnesota

#197  6th Rnd  (from GB)  Trevor Reilly  OLB  Utah

#198  6th Rnd   Devonta Freeman   RB   FSU

#244  7th Rnd   Brandon Thomas   OG   Clemson

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Playing around with http://first-pick.com/NFL/DraftGame.aspx" rel="nofollow">http://first-pick.com/NFL/DraftGame.aspx

Sometimes there are trades and some times there are none or little worth taking.

Round 1 Pick 29: Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame 
    Round 2 Pick 30: Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame 
    Round 3 Pick 29: Telvin Smith, OLB, Florida State 
    Round 4 Pick 30: Antone Exum, CB/SS, Virginia Tech 
    Round 4 Pick 40 (COMP): Trai Turner, OG, LSU 
    Round 6 Pick 22: Kevin Norwood, WR, Alabama 
    Round 6 Pick 30: Larry Webster, DE, Bloomsburg 
    Round 7 Pick 29: Connor Shaw, QB, South Carolina 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

That would be a great haul. Only one I would worry about is Nix- 

response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Playing around with http://first-pick.com/NFL/DraftGame.aspx" rel="nofollow">http://first-pick.com/NFL/DraftGame.aspx" rel="nofollow">http://first-pick.com/NFL/DraftGame.aspx

Sometimes there are trades and some times there are none or little worth taking.

Round 1 Pick 29: Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame 
    Round 2 Pick 30: Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame 
    Round 3 Pick 29: Telvin Smith, OLB, Florida State 
    Round 4 Pick 30: Antone Exum, CB/SS, Virginia Tech 
    Round 4 Pick 40 (COMP): Trai Turner, OG, LSU 
    Round 6 Pick 22: Kevin Norwood, WR, Alabama 
    Round 6 Pick 30: Larry Webster, DE, Bloomsburg 
    Round 7 Pick 29: Connor Shaw, QB, South Carolina 

[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

As much as I would like a ILB like C.J. Mosley, I think the biggest needs for the Pats are in the trenches.  Mainly a DT to place next to Wilfork, or someone on the O-Line.  But the Pats have done so well with OL in latter rounds of the draft.

The Pats really need a compliment or replacement for Wilfork and Gronk.  If they can't stay healthy, someone needs to step up.  I am leaning towards-

#29 Louis Nix (or trade up)

#62 C.J. Fiedorowicz

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Jeff Matthews, QB out of Cornell should be available in the late rounds. Scored a 40 on the Wonderlic so he can pick up on a complex offensive scheme.

01/18/2014 - PROSPECTS WHO HELPED THEMSELVES AT THE SHRINE GAME: 8. QB Jeff Mathews, Cornell (6-4, 225, 4.93, #9)...If it weren't for Garoppolo, the quarterback talk would be all about Mathews and the week he had in St. Petersburg. He showed off his arm strength, passing vision and touch to all levels of the field and with his size, he fits what the NFL wants at the position. Mathews will hold the ball too long at times and needs to be more assertive, but he's a quality developmental quarterback who projects as a day three pick. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

So, it's fun to think about BB trading back, acquiring more picks, and drafting 10 good players this year, but the truth is that we don't really have room for that many guys.  We already have quite a bit of young depth developing, and I hate to cut some of those guys just to bring in similar players.  Maybe they should be aggressive early and target two impact players.  They might get good value on trading UP since so many teams want to move back and acquire an extra mid-round pick.  Here is an idea:

#23  Louis Nix III   *NE gives up #29 and their 3rd; receives #23 and KC's 5th (163)*

#53  2nd Rnd  Austin Seferian-Jenkins    TE   UW  *NE gives up #62, #130 (4th), and #206 (6th); receives #53 & GB's 6th (197)*

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

That'd be a very good haul, I just don't expect Reilly or Freeman to get out've Rd 4, if not Day 2.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Thomas_Paine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As much as I would like a ILB like C.J. Mosley, I think the biggest needs for the Pats are in the trenches.  Mainly a DT to place next to Wilfork, or someone on the O-Line.  But the Pats have done so well with OL in latter rounds of the draft.

The Pats really need a compliment or replacement for Wilfork and Gronk.  If they can't stay healthy, someone needs to step up.  I am leaning towards-

#29 Louis Nix (or trade up)

#62 C.J. Fiedorowicz

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Not all will agree, but I just don't know how you pass on Mosley if he's there... he's prob one of the 15 best players in this draft, IMO... I'd rather they bring him in and move Hightower to more of a LB/DE hybrid (he's plenty big enough and has some pass rush upside) than pass on a kid this talented.  Kid has 4 down/Pro Bowl potential.

Fans complain a lot about how BB trades back, leaving the best talent on the table in favor of value, but I think this could be somewhat similar in that you're leaving the best talent on the board in favor of need, when Mosley is likely the better talent, and it's not like they're deep at LB.

At the end of the day though, I don't expect Mosley to be available at #29.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jeff Matthews, QB out of Cornell should be available in the late rounds. Scored a 40 on the Wonderlic so he can pick up on a complex offensive scheme.

01/18/2014 - PROSPECTS WHO HELPED THEMSELVES AT THE SHRINE GAME: 8. QB Jeff Mathews, Cornell (6-4, 225, 4.93, #9)...If it weren't for Garoppolo, the quarterback talk would be all about Mathews and the week he had in St. Petersburg. He showed off his arm strength, passing vision and touch to all levels of the field and with his size, he fits what the NFL wants at the position. Mathews will hold the ball too long at times and needs to be more assertive, but he's a quality developmental quarterback who projects as a day three pick. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

/QUOTE]

I think they'll have interest in him if they're targeting a QB on Day 3, yeah.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

That'd be a very good haul, I just don't expect Reilly or Freeman to get out've Rd 4, if not Day 2.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I may have gotten a little too optimistic with those picks.  Guys fall every year, though.  The point I was getting at is that there will probably be good value in the 6th/7th if you look hard enough.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yeah, I may have gotten a little too optimistic with those picks.  Guys fall every year, though.  The point I was getting at is that there will probably be good value in the 6th/7th if you look hard enough.

[/QUOTE]

Completely agree, especially in this class.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Completely agree, especially in this class.

[/QUOTE]

The thought that I was trying to convey with that mock is that I think NE could have an outstanding. Draft by using their 3rd and 4th rounders to move up in both the 1st and 2nd rounds, take 2 stud players at those 2 spots, and then fill additional holes with the 4th Rnd Comp and 6th/7th rounders.  The way I see it, we don't have many roster spots available for rookies.  Instead of trying to accumulate a bunch of picks by trading back, I think BB should aggressively go after a couple of blue-chippers early and then make those late-rounders count.  5-6 players is all we need.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

The thought that I was trying to convey with that mock is that I think NE could have an outstanding. Draft by using their 3rd and 4th rounders to move up in both the 1st and 2nd rounds, take 2 stud players at those 2 spots, and then fill additional holes with the 4th Rnd Comp and 6th/7th rounders.  The way I see it, we don't have many roster spots available for rookies.  Instead of trying to accumulate a bunch of picks by trading back, I think BB should aggressively go after a couple of blue-chippers early and then make those late-rounders count.  5-6 players is all we need.  

[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with moving up.  But how far can you move up with their 1st and 2nd round picks... 8 or 9 spots?  That would be solid,  could land us Nix or Pryor, maybe even a CJ Mosely or Ebron, but I'm not sure anyone around the 20th pick would give up their position for that offer.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with moving up.  But how far can you move up with their 1st and 2nd round picks... 8 or 9 spots?  That would be solid,  could land us Nix or Pryor, maybe even a CJ Mosely or Ebron, but I'm not sure anyone around the 20th pick would give up their position for that offer.

[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking teams will accept a little bit less compensation to move back this year.  Mid round picks seem to be worth more.  I'm hoping we can use our 3rd to move up to 23-24, and then turn around and use our 4th to move from 62 to 50ish.  If the right guys are there, of course.  I'd like to see NE jump SD to grab Nix, if he is still there, and then move up from 62 to 51 or so to grab either ASJ or Niklas if available.  Then we would still have 4 more picks to fill other needs.  A draft netting us Nix, ASJ, and then a solid LB, RB, OL, and DE would be terrific.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

The general concensus is getting solidified about who should go in what range of picks...What is very clear is the depth of this draft for the first 4 rounds, I mean true depth like we've seldom seen in the last 15-20 years...it could easily extend into the 5th round...The Pats could trade up to grab someone they want, they could trade down within the same draft to gobble up cheap priced rookies with talent to replace more expensive vets...I've never seen a draft year when almost anything is possible and that's because of the overall depth of the draft and the lack of true franchise QB's....it's entirely possible for the Pats to grab a receiver after 4 rounds who could be as good as anyone they have on the roster right now, and certainly in the 4th round itself....it's going to be the best draft show in years...

Oh and, yes, there will be numerous trades during this draft...there are too many teams rebuilding and the timing has to be right for skilled players like QB's and really good WR's, DB's and DL's....mucho trades this year!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

^Mel, I agree.  Between 20-50 there are 30 players with the same level of abilities. Going deep into the 6th round there are players that can play snaps in rotations.  I have always said that football teams have to be 53 strong.  Build the whole team.  Dropping back getting extra picks and filling needs with very good players makes sense.  If we moved into the top 5 or 10 then maybe we would get a difference maker, but I don't think so. Maybe Watkins or Clowney, not sure about the rest.  No matter what, it would cost too much.  Only for a franchise QB would I spend picks.  Don't forget UDFAs they are going to make teams also.  There will be decent quality there also.  It is truly a unique draft.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Anyone else notice how good Stanford's defensive line is when watching them face some of these other prospects you've been checking out? Man they are tough, they look like they have four guys in their front seven who will drafted this year...aside from Murphy they have two other defensive ends that look like they are strong enough to play in the the nfl. One of them looks like he could be a nice 34 end...two tall, strong, athletic players.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Deone Buchanon-- the more I watch his film the more I like.

He seems to have everything:

1) Good  cover

2) Big hitter

3) Good speed

Will he be there @Pats 2nd?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Anyone else notice how good Stanford's defensive line is when watching them face some of these other prospects you've been checking out? Man they are tough, they look like they have four guys in their front seven who will drafted this year...aside from Murphy they have two other defensive ends that look like they are strong enough to play in the the nfl. One of them looks like he could be a nice 34 end...two tall, strong, athletic players.

[/QUOTE]

I agree man I love Stanford's DTs 3 are really really god.

Sections
Shortcuts