***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tg19pats. Show tg19pats's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

Have just read the last 5-6 pages has taken me awhile to get used to the changes.  After reading about all the running backs I am thinking we might grab one in the first three rounds. Not sure what bb thinks about Ridley. I hate the draft in May has really thrown me off. Reading lindys draft guide they have Kadeem Carey from Arizona as their # 1 do not remember seeing him play this year, love all the talk on Sankey but is he too similar to vereen? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to tg19pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Have just read the last 5-6 pages has taken me awhile to get used to the changes.  After reading about all the running backs I am thinking we might grab one in the first three rounds. Not sure what bb thinks about Ridley. I hate the draft in May has really thrown me off. Reading lindys draft guide they have Kadeem Carey from Arizona as their # 1 do not remember seeing him play this year, love all the talk on Sankey but is he too similar to vereen? 

[/QUOTE]

It should be noted that both Ridley and Vereen will be free-agents in 2015 (not sure if they have 5th year options), now they could re-sign one or both, but it would probably make sense for them to target (1) back in this class.

Yes, Sankey is more Vereen and I also like Devonte Freeman in that capacity.

If they're looking for more of an every down back, Hyde, Hill (both of which have character questions) and Andre Williams should interest them... on Day 3, I like Gaffney, Rajion Neal, Alfred Blue, Stephen Houston and Lorenzo Taliaferro.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sankey!

[/QUOTE]

Kid is a very, very good football player... I'd love to see him in Foxboro.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Sankey over McKinnon as a rb...McKinnon over Sankey as an athlete....depends on what you need most...both are finds and will make whoever takes them happy!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Updated Mock Draft 4/29/2014:

Round 1 - Dee Ford - DE Auburn

Round 2 - Bruce Ellington - WR South Carolina

Round 3 - CJ Fiedorowicz - TE Iowa

Round 4 - will Clarke - DE WVU

Round 4 - OL- Anthony Steen - OT Alabama

Round 6 - Connor Shaw - QB South Carolina

Round 7 - Tyler Gaffney - RB Stanford

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

What is everyone's. " nightmare scenario" for this draft?  Is there a player that you really don't want to see NE select?  I have a few:

-Easley in the first or second.  Both knees are reconstructed.  I think he is the next Ras-I and I just hope we are not the team dumb enough to waste a pick on him. 

-Joel Bitonio in the 1st.  Don't get me wrong, I like him, just not enough to use a 1st on him.  I'd be just fine with taking him in the 2nd.

-Colt Lyerla at any point.  The guy is a loser.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Definitely Easley any earlier than the third round would anger/scare/dumbfound me

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Looks like we know who the Bills are going to draft. They are reportedly very interested in Sammy Watkins. As we know with the Bills, when reports come out that they are extremely interested in a player they usually take them, ala Manuel, Gilmore, and the one where there was so much smoke you couldn't see 1" in front of you CJ Spiller.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

From Twitter yesterday, Nick Caserio said the 2014 class is deep at WR, RB, and DL. Not like any of us were pushing for a RB in the 1st or 2nd round anyway. But as others have said, with WR being so strong this year, we are sure to be able to find one to compete with Boyce for a roster spot. Again, more smoke screen if it was said. 

I'm almost wondering if Shazier, Barr, Roby or even Morgan Moses are available, we take LB, CB,  OL in the first. If a value pick isn't there, they trade down. 

I'm not going to speculate who they will get or where - but here are some of my favorite players (I'm not showing guys that I don't think we have a chance to get)

DL - Ealy, Nix, Jernigan, Ferguson, Jones, Clark, Urban

OLB - Barr, Shazier, Attaochu, Tripp

ILB - Borland (love this guy), Skov, Kirksey

S - Pryor, Buchanon

CB - Roby, Verett, Jean-Baptiste

OL - Sua Filo, Richburg, Moses, Mewhort, Turner

WR - Mathews, Moncrief, Landry 

RB - Hill, Seastrunk

QB - Mettenberger, McCarron (I think he gets overdrafted- reminds me of Chad Pennington with a slightly better arm and hotter GF)

TE - Federowitz, Niklas

A lot of guys which have been talked about. Some guys I don't want - Hageman - not a risk taker and he looks like high risk. Tuitt - not a fan and I know some of you guys are. Don't like Logan Thomas - too much work to do on that guy - in my opinion. Not a fan of Jace Amaro - seems like a system guy to me and he can't block. 

I will admit I do not do the level of research some of you do - especially MB, but I do enjoy reading the posts and seeing a great haul for the Pats. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Just my opinion, but I think that the "high risk" label associated with Hageman is being somewhat overblown.  "Raw" tends to concern me more with linebackers offense of lineman wide receivers and quarterbacks.  I think the size and athleticism that Hageman possesses will make him at the very worst an average defensive lineman.  However, with the right coaching and work ethic which I have heard he has, I think you will be a very special player.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What is everyone's. " nightmare scenario" for this draft?  Is there a player that you really don't want to see NE select?  I have a few:

-Easley in the first or second.  Both knees are reconstructed.  I think he is the next Ras-I and I just hope we are not the team dumb enough to waste a pick on him. 

-Joel Bitonio in the 1st.  Don't get me wrong, I like him, just not enough to use a 1st on him.  I'd be just fine with taking him in the 2nd.

-Colt Lyerla at any point.  The guy is a loser.

[/QUOTE]

Things I really don't wanna see:

NE selecting an OL not named Zack Martin (he should be long gone) in Rd 1, though I get it if they do.

NE selecting Tom Savage within the Top 100.

NE selecting Will Sutton within the Top 100.

NE selecting Brock Vereen within the Top 100... I like him more in Rd 4 or 5.

NE reaching to select Brandon Coleman in Rd 2.

NE selecting or signing Colt Lyerla at any point.

NE selecting Seantrel Henderson before Rd 6 or 7, if at all.

NE reaching 3-5 rounds for any player.

I'm sure there are more, ha...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:
    [QUOTE]

From Twitter yesterday, Nick Caserio said the 2014 class is deep at WR, RB, and DL. Not like any of us were pushing for a RB in the 1st or 2nd round anyway. But as others have said, with WR being so strong this year, we are sure to be able to find one to compete with Boyce for a roster spot. Again, more smoke screen if it was said. 

I'm almost wondering if Shazier, Barr, Roby or even Morgan Moses are available, we take LB, CB,  OL in the first. If a value pick isn't there, they trade down. 

I'm not going to speculate who they will get or where - but here are some of my favorite players (I'm not showing guys that I don't think we have a chance to get)

DL - Ealy, Nix, Jernigan, Ferguson, Jones, Clark, Urban

OLB - Barr, Shazier, Attaochu, Tripp

ILB - Borland (love this guy), Skov, Kirksey

S - Pryor, Buchanon

CB - Roby, Verett, Jean-Baptiste

OL - Sua Filo, Richburg, Moses, Mewhort, Turner

WR - Mathews, Moncrief, Landry 

RB - Hill, Seastrunk

QB - Mettenberger, McCarron (I think he gets overdrafted- reminds me of Chad Pennington with a slightly better arm and hotter GF)

TE - Federowitz, Niklas

A lot of guys which have been talked about. Some guys I don't want - Hageman - not a risk taker and he looks like high risk. Tuitt - not a fan and I know some of you guys are. Don't like Logan Thomas - too much work to do on that guy - in my opinion. Not a fan of Jace Amaro - seems like a system guy to me and he can't block. 

I will admit I do not do the level of research some of you do - especially MB, but I do enjoy reading the posts and seeing a great haul for the Pats. 

[/QUOTE]

Solid list of prospects.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

My QB of choice if we Draft one is McCarron, if not him, I like Murray a lot. I thought McCarron sold the play action very good, but Murray is even better. Best in this class.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Dustin Keller is in Foxboro today and he's already completed his physical, which according to NFL.com went well. If they sign him what are the chances that the Patriots waste an early pick on a TE?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

TE position weak this year.  Sign Keller and see how Gronk comes back

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dustin Keller is in Foxboro today and he's already completed his physical, which according to NFL.com went well. If they sign him what are the chances that the Patriots waste an early pick on a TE?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Slim, but they might draft an TE with an early pick and that wouldn't be a waste.

First Gronk is always hurt so if we get a full season that's frosting. Second physicals don't tell you a players mental state (ie making the catch when you know you are going to take a hit or making), how the injury affected their physcial performance (ie cutting, running, jumping), or emotional state. Signing him now doesn't guarantee he'll be the same player as 3 years ago (see Ballard) so he's a major gamble if you are counting on him to be the #2 TE option. Getting a long term solution as a primary backup option and if you get something from Keller it's very far from a waste.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Even with Keller, they take a TE, but where will be the issue...with Keller, if he's healthy and still has much of what he had before, they could wait until the 5-7 rounds....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

My short list of Day 3 Sleepers:

Maryland CB Dexter McDougle

Wisconsin S Dez Southward

Indiana TE Ted Bolser

Wake Forest WR Michael Campanaro

Indiana RB Stephen Houston

Vanderbilt OL Wesley Johnson

NW WR Kain Colter

Arizona LB Marquis Flowers

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Round 1. Hageman or Nix or Tuitt

If Bortles or one of the top QBs is still available trade down but NOT FAR. Still want one of the above three.

Round 2. best LB, DL or interior OL (or TE if they like one enough... and hoping we sign Keller as a move TE)

Round 3. best of the above or RB

Round 4. Will Urban be available here? If not maybe move hi up to round 3.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Saw McShay talk up Jarvis Landry on SportsCenter big time today. Must feel good to have identified a player before the media machine, huh MB? Kudos to you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

That being said...hopefully he doesn't get talked up too much and can still be had in the third round. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Saw McShay talk up Jarvis Landry on SportsCenter big time today. Must feel good to have identified a player before the media machine, huh MB? Kudos to you.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Haha, I mighta just lucked out and got to his tape first!

But I'm with ya... would have no problem taking him in Rd 2, but he's an absolute steal in Rd 3.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just my opinion, but I think that the "high risk" label associated with Hageman is being somewhat overblown.  "Raw" tends to concern me more with linebackers offense of lineman wide receivers and quarterbacks.  I think the size and athleticism that Hageman possesses will make him at the very worst an average defensive lineman.  However, with the right coaching and work ethic which I have heard he has, I think you will be a very special player.  

[/QUOTE]

I think the thing is it's hard to predict what a player will be. Professional scouts and GMs can do that (sometimes), but it's hard for people like us (at least me). I appreciate the GMs that can see what a player will be in two years, compared to what I do...look at what they are right now. In the end it's harder - and better - to forecast these guys, but those guys usually end up being the better pros with coaching. Hageman definitely could be that guy.

Sections
Shortcuts