***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

Brent urban in the 3rd. I think bb passes on all the dt's like nix, Hageman, tuitt we talk about here often. 

Has anyone here watched any tape of this kid? He has watt size, is physical, uses his hands well and has a nice first step. Personally I think he has great upside and his best football in front of him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I finally heard one person say negative things about Kony Ealy...Mike Mayock. He said he never thought Ealy would fall, but after watching more tape on him, he sees a guy that is a bit stiff and outside of his game against Texas a and m, his tape is not impressive. He says he has talked to GMs and they feel he looks stiff on tape and in workouts. He said he sees him as a base 43 end and no 34 teams are showing this kid any love.

I think this is the most overrated defensive player I've seen in this draft. I've watched game, after game, after game on him and I just don't see the player everyone is so excited about. All I see is him getting blocked and blocked and blocked...and he's not being doubled either. He does have very good size - and maybe he will develop into something special - but I don't see it right now.

I think of Ealy as a slightly smaller, slightly quicker (see 3 cone time) version of Chandler Jones. Ealy looks like he can bulk up a little more than Jones.

One of the issues I see with Ealy is that he doesn't seem always go 100%.

Outside of Clowney, I don't see a better 4-3 DE.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Brent urban in the 3rd. I think bb passes on all the dt's like nix, Hageman, tuitt we talk about here often. 

Has anyone here watched any tape of this kid? He has watt size, is physical, uses his hands well and has a nice first step. Personally I think he has great upside and his best football in front of him.

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'm off and on about Urban kind of like I am about McCuller. The issue I have with him is that he seems too mellow on the field. He isn't really aggressive and I don't know why but on some film I could swear I see him apologizing to the other team like he was Canadian or something. He needs to be much more aggressive and he needs to be more than a 1 dimensional pass rusher. It seems like a straight bull rush is all he does and even then he gets way to tall most of the time and doesn't use his hands well. Not to mention a guy his size he's got some tiny hands.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Idk, I don't watch Urban and think "wow, this kid is really lacking in the effort/aggression department"... I mean, he's not a complete war daddy of a player, but I think he gives a good effort on a snap to snap basis and competes.

I do agree that he lacks much of a pass rush repetoire and does rely solely on the his bull rush. He is however able to disrupt, due to his quickness of the snap and his solid use of arms/length to extend and keep his pads clean. Said length, as it relates to his height can also be a detriment as he needs to play with more consistent leverage, though he does pretty well in that area overall.

I think he'll give a DC/position coach a lot to work with at the next level and think he warrants Day 2 consideration... expect him to be off the board in Rd 3 or 4.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Reports coming out that some teams want Ealy to gain 15lbs and convert to a 43 DT. Interesting, wonder if he can play 2 gap on is he better as an edge rusher

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Idk, I don't watch Urban and think "wow, this kid is really lacking in the effort/aggression department"... I mean, he's not a complete war daddy of a player, but I think he gives a good effort on a snap to snap basis and competes.

I do agree that he lacks much of a pass rush repetoire and does rely solely on the his bull rush. He is however able to disrupt, due to his quickness of the snap and his solid use of arms/length to extend and keep his pads clean. Said length, as it relates to his height can also be a detriment as he needs to play with more consistent leverage, though he does pretty well in that area overall.

I think he'll give a DC/position coach a lot to work with at the next level and think he warrants Day 2 consideration... expect him to be off the board in Rd 3 or 4.

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'm not sure, I still don't see the mean streak in him I see in a Clark or Martin. I know both are a good 20lbs lighter but if we are looking for a rush DT to collapse the pocket and you plan to have a big NT 2 gapping next to them (something I think the Pats can pull off) I might want Clark and Martin more in the same range. They also give a bit more flexibility to more outside to spell Nink and Jones.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Oregon WR Josh Huff (5-11 206) is a bit of a poor man's Jarvis Landry... Landry has better hands and is a better overall player, but Huff has more explosive, down field ability.  I really liked his tape:

Positives:

Good deep/play speed.

Good RAC player that can beat you multiple ways... he can make you miss or power through/away from you.

One of, if not the best, most physical WR blockers that I've watched this year.

Definite big play ability.

Good body control.

Very willing over the middle.

Versatile and could even give them some snaps as a 3rd down back out of the backfield.

Solid build, very strong in the lower half.

Special teams potential.

Negatives:

Inconsistent hands... I counted 5-6 clean drops in the 5-6 games I viewed.

Shorter than ideal at 5-11.

Raw and inconsistent as a route runner.

Overall:

Looks like a solid option as versatile kid that can return kicks and some plays down the field... I like him in Rd 3 or 4.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Reports coming out that some teams want Ealy to gain 15lbs and convert to a 43 DT. Interesting, wonder if he can play 2 gap on is he better as an edge rusher

He kicked inside a decent about last year, if I'm not mistaken.

Looks like more of a penatrator than a 2-gapper to me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. Kind of like Martin who played a 1/3rd of snaps at DT. Just wonder if they want to bump him into the 290 range if he'll lose some of his explosiveness that made him effective off the edge and if he'd need to change his style from a single gap perpetrator to a 3 down 2 gapper that can be used as a single gap rusher on blitz lines.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. Kind of like Martin who played a 1/3rd of snaps at DT. Just wonder if they want to bump him into the 290 range if he'll lose some of his explosiveness that made him effective off the edge and if he'd need to change his style from a single gap perpetrator to a 3 down 2 gapper that can be used as a single gap rusher on blitz lines.

I think he'd prob lose some of it relative to playing on the edge, but he'd still be quick and explosive for an interior defender.  It seems the teams that are looking for him to potentially move are more 1 gap/up the field type teams up front.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

When I see a WR, get into his blocking, that a good sign. Tells me 2 things he's a hard worker, and he's team first. Those guys usually have good careers in the NFL.
    This should be watched more closely.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonhoop74. Show jonhoop74's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

I'm off and on about Urban kind of like I am about McCuller. The issue I have with him is that he seems too mellow on the field. He isn't really aggressive and I don't know why but on some film I could swear I see him apologizing to the other team like he was Canadian or something. He needs to be much more aggressive and he needs to be more than a 1 dimensional pass rusher. It seems like a straight bull rush is all he does and even then he gets way to tall most of the time and doesn't use his hands well. Not to mention a guy his size he's got some tiny hands.

"I could swear I see him apologizing to the other team like he was Canadian or something" LOL actually he is from Mississauga, Ontario

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

When I see a WR, get into his blocking, that a good sign. Tells me 2 things he's a hard worker, and he's team first. Those guys usually have good careers in the NFL.
    This should be watched more closely.

I agree... one of the more maddening things to me, when watching tape, is a WR half-a$$ing a block... the other thing is missed tackles in space... drives me crazy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Anybody catch the Kiper/McShay Combo Mock on ESPN.com?

They have (8) WR's going in Rd 1:

#2- STL- Watkins

#10- DET- Beckham

#18- NYJ- Cooks

#22- PHI- Matthews

#23- KC- Lee

#26- CLE- Ellington

#27- NO- Latimer

#28- CAR- Adams

Also of interest, they had Anthony Barr lasting to pick #30, with NE taking... yep, you guessed it, Hageman.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

#2- STL- Watkins

#10- DET- Beckham

#18- NYJ- Cooks

#22- PHI- Matthews

#23- KC- Lee

#26- CLE- Ellington

#27- NO- Latimer

#28- CAR- Adams

Also of interest, they had Anthony Barr lasting to pick #30, with NE taking... yep, you guessed it, Hageman.

I saw that too MB, I think there mock is going to be vastly incorrect. But if Bruce Ellington is there I take him in a second..Watch out for Connor Shaw moving up to a third round pick he's getting a lot of good words on him lately.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:

#2- STL- Watkins

#10- DET- Beckham

#18- NYJ- Cooks

#22- PHI- Matthews

#23- KC- Lee

#26- CLE- Ellington

#27- NO- Latimer

#28- CAR- Adams

I saw that too MB, I think there mock is going to be vastly incorrect. But if Bruce Ellington is there I take him in a second..Watch out for Connor Shaw moving up to a third round pick he's getting a lot of good words on him lately.

I really like Bruce Ellington, a lot... but in Rd 2, not Rd 1.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

#2- STL- Watkins

#10- DET- Beckham

#18- NYJ- Cooks

#22- PHI- Matthews

#23- KC- Lee

#26- CLE- Ellington

#27- NO- Latimer

#28- CAR- Adams

I also see where the former GM for the Colts ripped both guys for picking Hageman saying he's a gamble and you don't waste a pick on a gamble in the first round...the other GM professional said the same thing...Hageman ='s Huge Gamble...Tuitt was their preferred pick for the Pats

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:

#2- STL- Watkins

#10- DET- Beckham

#18- NYJ- Cooks

#22- PHI- Matthews

#23- KC- Lee

#26- CLE- Ellington

#27- NO- Latimer

#28- CAR- Adams

I watched the So. Car. game vs. LSU game from 2012...Clowney was ragged dolled and Hill for LSU, as well as Landry, looked very good...Shaw was OK, but the thing you notice about him right away is how small he looks on the field...he reminded me of Hoyer because of that...I like Shaw, but not in the third...Barrow had a rough game for LSU...he had a bad habit of over running plays on a consistent basis

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Geez.  There is a ton of talk about NE selecting Easley in the 1st.  Please tell me this is just smoke.  I might literally vomit if we take an injury risk like that with our 1st Rounder in this draft...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

#2- STL- Watkins

#10- DET- Beckham

#18- NYJ- Cooks

#22- PHI- Matthews

#23- KC- Lee

#26- CLE- Ellington

#27- NO- Latimer

#28- CAR- Adams

I also see where the former GM for the Colts ripped both guys for picking Hageman saying he's a gamble and you don't waste a pick on a gamble in the first round...the other GM professional said the same thing...Hageman ='s Huge Gamble...Tuitt was their preferred pick for the Pats

Yeah, I mean I've watched everyone of Hageman's available game tapes and it's like groundhog day... you always go in hoping this is the game where he completely dominates and plays more consistent, but always leave feeling like you saw the same elite flashes with a bunch of meh in between... wash, rinse, repeat.

If they take him at #29, I completely get it because the size, length and upside are all there and coaches love to mold/develop said talent, but I still prefer Tuitt there if given the choice.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Geez.  There is a ton of talk about NE selecting Easley in the 1st.  Please tell me this is just smoke.  I might literally vomit if we take an injury risk like that with our 1st Rounder in this draft...

I'd be a lot more comfortable in Rd 2... I know you don't want him within the Top 3 rounds, but the kid has obvious Top 15 talent when healthy.

I think the fact that there's a ton of smoke, generally means it's not going to happen, though the one year where I can remember the smoke turning into fire was 2012 with Chandler Jones.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

#2- STL- Watkins

#10- DET- Beckham

#18- NYJ- Cooks

#22- PHI- Matthews

#23- KC- Lee

#26- CLE- Ellington

#27- NO- Latimer

#28- CAR- Adams

Yeah, I mean I've watched everyone of Hagemana's available game tapes and it's like groundhog day... you always go in hoping this is the game where he completely dominates and plays more consistent, but always leave feeling like you saw the same elite flashes with a bunch of meh in between... wash, rinse, repeat.

If they take him at #29, I completely get it because the size, length and upside are all there and coaches love to mold/develop said talent, but I still prefer Tuitt there if given the choice.

Well said.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Yeah, I mean I've watched everyone of Hagemana's available game tapes and it's like groundhog day... you always go in hoping this is the game where he completely dominates and plays more consistent, but always leave feeling like you saw the same elite flashes with a bunch of meh in between... wash, rinse, repeat.

I see it the same. Not only that, Hageman's combine #'s were disappointing. He ran over 5second 40. His 3-cone (which we know BB uses) was a terrible 7.8 (compared to about 6.8 for Ealy). I would take Bucannon instead of Hageman.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I'd be a lot more comfortable in Rd 2... I know you don't want him within the Top 3 rounds, but the kid has obvious Top 15 talent when healthy.

I think the fact that there's a ton of smoke, generally means it's not going to happen, though the one year where I can remember the smoke turning into fire was 2012 with Chandler Jones.

The rumors I kind of believe are the ones that happen right before the draft (a day or two before). I get the feeling that's when some real stuff somehow gets leaked. I remember when the Jones stuff got leaked...how he was rising up the charts...how the jets were interested in him...how several teams had him rated high. Those are the things I find interesting the most because that's when all the months of mock drafts kind of get blown out of whack a little bit, I could see it happening again with some of these receivers sneaking into the first, some of these tweener defensive ends slipping  out of the first...maybe some defensive tackles too. I'll tell yeah, I'm not real thrilled with a lot of the front seven defensive talent after the obvious guys - at least in terms of first round picks - there's no doubt the receivers are the first round talents. It just becomes the question of...do you grab the defensive guy early (and perhaps reach a little) and then hope the receiver talent gets pushed down a little bit? That can be risky though, a run on receivers could wipe out the talent in 15-20 selections if teams start going crazy. And with some teams needing receivers and the contracts these guys have been getting on the free agent market, it might make sense to grab those receivers when you can.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

What we need this week is Two, 2 Round Mock Draft. One Mock Draft NO Trades, use this as a guideline. sort of really teams might do if no Trades.
    The other 2 Round Mock with Trades, might give us an idea who falls and what teams like the Falcons might want to jump up if they don't  get a guy like Clowney. Or even if they Trade up for him, maybe other teams that might want a QB, or DL.
    Just a thought.

Sections
Shortcuts