***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Man... updating my mock is tough... mind seems to change daily, though I think I'm set (for at least the next 7 minutes) on who I want to see in Rd 1... Attaochu, Shazier, Tuitt or Kelvin Benjamin are the names that I keep coming back to.  After that I still like Ford and Hageman.

In Rd 2, I my focus is on Easley, Bucannon, Smith, Niklas, Bitonio and Moncrief... 

In Rd 3, I'm looking at CJF, DaQuan, Richburg, Jean-Baptiste, Latimer, McCarron, Freeman and Ellington...

... we'll see how I feel tomorrow, haha.

I'm still thinking if they like CJ they will grab him in the 2nd. Kind of like Collins where I had him projected in the back of the 3rd but they really liked him and took him in a spot they knew they would get him. I wouldn't be shocked for them to reach a round higher to get a TE they like

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I thought I would post a few random thoughts about this year's draft this morning...

1)  Louis Nix III will not be there at 29.  I know his stock has been falling, but there is just too much talent there for him to last that long.  SD at 25 is as far as he falls.

I too think he'll be off the board.

2)  Austin Seferian-Jenkins will go in the 1st round, and possibly to NE.  I know his stock seems to be down due to a sub-par 2013, but that skillset is very tantalizing, and there is so much to work with there.  I think BB could be very interested.  Don't be shocked if we take him, and he could even go before #29.

In Rd 2, I'm cool... in Rd 1, I hope not. 

3)  NE will not draft Colt Lyerla.  No explanation needed here.

Agreed. 

4)  Ryan Mallet will not get traded.  I've been saying all along that he will be a Patriot in 2014, and I'll stand by that.  I don't think any other teams have much interest, anyway.

Would like to see them score a Day 2 pick for him, but as 7393 and a few others have pointed out... having him as a safety net incase of a serious injury to TB might be his best value.  Sure would hate to see them lose him for nothing though. 

5)  Shayne Skov is the player in this draft who I think is the most likely to be drafted by NE.  Smart, instinctive LB, right up BB's alley.  Could go at #62, #96, or somewhere in between due to a trade, but I bet BB has his sights set on him.

He sure has a lot of the attributes that they value on the field.  

6)  Bruce Elliongton will be gone before our pick in the 3rd round.  I really want this guy, but I bet someone will fall in love with his skills and take him in the 3rd.

I've seen him compared to Cobb and Steve Smith, so this is highly possible.

7)  NE will draft a QB with their 4th round Comp Pick.  Hey, and 2001 Comp Pick QB worked out pretty good, right?  Why not do it again?  Could be Murry, Mettenberger, or Savage from Pitt.

I like Murray here or in the 5th if they can add a pick in that round.

8)  Amaro will fall into the mid-to-late 2nd.  A lot to like with him, but those small, 9" hands may scare teams away from taking him early.

I like him more in that range.

9)  Jeremiah Attaochu will rocket up draft boards as the draft nears, similar to what Chandler Jones did in 2012.  I think he will ultimately be a Top 25 Pick.  In a league starving for pass-rushers, he could be a very good one.  Someone will roll the dice on him earlier than expected.

I sure as frig hope not!  I want him at 29.

10)  NE will not trade out of the 1st round this year.  They won't trade up, either.  I think they stay at 29 and make a pick.  I think teams will be pretty stingy with their mid-round picks this year since the draft is so deep, and I don't think BB will be able to find a decent deal to move back.  Also, we gained that valuable 4th round Comp Pick, so I think BB will be satisfied with the number of picks that he has this year.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for Jeremiah, Shazier or Tuitt!

What do you guys think?  Am I off my rocker with these thoughts?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Man... updating my mock is tough... mind seems to change daily, though I think I'm set (for at least the next 7 minutes) on who I want to see in Rd 1... Attaochu, Shazier, Tuitt or Kelvin Benjamin are the names that I keep coming back to.  After that I still like Ford and Hageman.

In Rd 2, I my focus is on Easley, Bucannon, Smith, Niklas, Bitonio and Moncrief... 

In Rd 3, I'm looking at CJF, DaQuan, Richburg, Jean-Baptiste, Latimer, McCarron, Freeman and Ellington...

One of the toughest drafts to predict in a while.  NE could go just about any direction.  Of your options, I would take:

1)  Benjamin

2)  Easely

3)  CJF

That would be solid.  Tough call, though.  Too much offense?

I woke up this AM thinking:

1.  Jeremiah/Shazier

2. Easley

3.  CJF

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I'm still thinking if they like CJ they will grab him in the 2nd. Kind of like Collins where I had him projected in the back of the 3rd but they really liked him and took him in a spot they knew they would get him. I wouldn't be shocked for them to reach a round higher to get a TE they like

The possibility is there, I'd... I just like him more in Rd 3.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I thought I would post a few random thoughts about this year's draft this morning...

1)  Louis Nix III will not be there at 29.  I know his stock has been falling, but there is just too much talent there for him to last that long.  SD at 25 is as far as he falls.

We see this every year a top end player suddenly has all these issues that people are concerned about prior to the draft but they never drop as much as we think they would. It's all a game with teams hoping the player would drop to them leak certain concerns like Nix's knees. I agree he's gone before the Pats pick

2)  Austin Seferian-Jenkins will go in the 1st round, and possibly to NE.  I know his stock seems to be down due to a sub-par 2013, but that skillset is very tantalizing, and there is so much to work with there.  I think BB could be very interested.  Don't be shocked if we take him, and he could even go before #29.

Not a big ASJ fan. I like Niklas or CJ better frankly.

3)  NE will not draft Colt Lyerla.  No explanation needed here.

Agreed. After Kraft put his foot down on Britt (imo Kraft went public to make sure BB didn't make him an offer) I can't see them taking Lyerla

4)  Ryan Mallet will not get traded.  I've been saying all along that he will be a Patriot in 2014, and I'll stand by that.  I don't think any other teams have much interest, anyway.

I agree but only because of the latter is true not as much that the Pats want to keep him. The few teams I saw that could have interest (Hou, Cle, Min) all took different paths this offseason. If the Pats got a 2nd or a high 3rd I think they would have taken it and run. Mallett was an investment to cash in on later. Next year they aren't going to get anything for him when he leaves so if the chance presented itself imo they would have taken it and draft a replacement this year. Heck they still might draft a replacement this year knowing Mallett is gone next season.

5)  Shayne Skov is the player in this draft who I think is the most likely to be drafted by NE.  Smart, instinctive LB, right up BB's alley.  Could go at #62, #96, or somewhere in between due to a trade, but I bet BB has his sights set on him.

Very well could be it's hard for me to think they would draft a LB that early though with more pressing matters  on both lines and TE

6)  Bruce Elliongton will be gone before our pick in the 3rd round.  I really want this guy, but I bet someone will fall in love with his skills and take him in the 3rd.

Another very well could be. I remember Cobb being talked about as a 3rd round pick and he ended up in the 2nd

7)  NE will draft a QB with their 4th round Comp Pick.  Hey, and 2001 Comp Pick QB worked out pretty good, right?  Why not do it again?  Could be Murry, Mettenberger, or Savage from Pitt.

And this would be a reason to trade Mallett heck even for a 4th. If you are planning to spend a pick on a QB anyway it makes sense to get a pick prior to the point you plan on drafting a QB to have that extra player.

8)  Amaro will fall into the mid-to-late 2nd.  A lot to like with him, but those small, 9" hands may scare teams away from taking him early.

I can see this. Imo it's going to be either Niklas or Amaro will go early-mid 2nd and the other will go mid-late 2nd

9)  Jeremiah Attaochu will rocket up draft boards as the draft nears, similar to what Chandler Jones did in 2012.  I think he will ultimately be a Top 25 Pick.  In a league starving for pass-rushers, he could be a very good one.  Someone will roll the dice on him earlier than expected.

I can see him sneaking into the 1st but there are some pretty good OLB's and DE's infront of him. He's very fast and athletic but to me he's not a teir one player like Clowney, Barr, Mack and you can have a healthy debate on who's the top of the second teir of Murphy, Crichton, Ford, Ealy

10)  NE will not trade out of the 1st round this year.  They won't trade up, either.  I think they stay at 29 and make a pick.  I think teams will be pretty stingy with their mid-round picks this year since the draft is so deep, and I don't think BB will be able to find a decent deal to move back.  Also, we gained that valuable 4th round Comp Pick, so I think BB will be satisfied with the number of picks that he has this year.

If they get a chance to trade out I think they will. I don't think BB likes that spot to pick and listening to him talk about the draft you get the sense that unless he feels the player is a top 20 player that he might have a pool of 6 21-60 players and just as long as he gets one of those players he's happy. Hence why you see he fall back to that mid 2nd range so often. Now this year I hope is different and he stays put to target 1 or 2 players instead of a pool of 6 but knowing BB he most likely won't change that anytime soon.

What do you guys think?  Am I off my rocker with these thoughts?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

This mock has the Pats nabbing Ealy...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfp-mock-draft-2-0-191123968--nfl.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

I think he looks like a third round pick at best. I saw Kirwan's mock draft too and let me say this..anyone that puts Eric Ebron outside the top 15 is out of touch with reality. In fact the mocks with him going in the top ten are mocks I think are more realistic.

[/QUOTE

I agree. IMO for teams that are looking to add weapons, one of best ways to raise passing output is a good receiving option down the middle -- perhaps better than getting a WR. I like Ebron over any WR not named Watkins. I just can't see Ebron getting past DET, BUF and NYJ.

Yeah I couldn't agree more - look at what these tightends are doing for NFL offenses - it's crazy to think what Ebron is going to add to a passing game. Is he perfect? No, but athletically he is pretty close, he moves like a receiver, but he's 6'4" 250 pounds. Pretty amazing talent...I don't think he lasts past 12. I like Jace Amaro too - he catches that football really well in tight spaces, his production is off the charts and physically he looks pretty gifted too. He's not in Ebron's league, but who is? I was surprised Amaro ran a poor 40 like he did, he looks much faster than that too me and he is athletic. I think Amaro would help this offense...Edelman, Boyce, Laffel, Gronk, a healthy Amendola, hopefully a healthy Dobson and Amaro are better than what we had last year.

I think Amaro is more scheme-specific. Given he has not played inline much in college, he will be a project there. His immediate impact will be as one who lines up at the slot. IMO, if the Pats pick up a TE in teh first two days, it should be one who is a direct backfill/backup to Gronk. Amaro is not that.

However, I have no doubt that Amaro will help greatly imrprove the O of whomever picks him up.

I think like most of these pass catching tightends blocking will be something he will need to work on, but like you said...he will help greatly improve an offense. The way I look at it is Hooman will block for you...Gronk can too...having a guy like Amaro catching passes will improve the passing game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I would draft both these guys in later rounds. They are extremely underrated.

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/

Representatives from 19 NFL teams — including the general managers of the New York Jets (John Idzik) and San Diego Chargers (Tom Telesco), and a New England Patriots special teams coach — were present for Indiana’s pro day on Wednesday, when 18 players worked out indoors on FieldTurf.

Cody Latimer, WR (6-foot-2 5/8, 215 pounds) — Due to a broken bone in his foot, Latimer was only able to run straight ahead and did not participate in any positional drills. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.44 and 4.45 seconds. He also had a 39-inch vertical jump. Latimer was at the NFL Scouting Combine, but only competed in the bench press (in which he led his position group with 23 reps of 225 pounds). Latimer does not have a target date for another workout before the 2014 NFL Draft.

Ted Bolser, TE (6-5 5/8, 248) — Bolser ran the 40 in 4.74 and 4.78 seconds. He had a 31-inch vertical jump and 9-foot-3 broad jump. He did the short shuttle in 4.50 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.11 seconds. He performed 19 strength lifts. Bolser is probably a late-round draft pick or priority free-agent pickup following the draft.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

I would draft both these guys in later rounds. They are extremely underrated.

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/

Representatives from 19 NFL teams — including the general managers of the New York Jets (John Idzik) and San Diego Chargers (Tom Telesco), and a New England Patriots special teams coach — were present for Indiana’s pro day on Wednesday, when 18 players worked out indoors on FieldTurf.

Cody Latimer, WR (6-foot-2 5/8, 215 pounds) — Due to a broken bone in his foot, Latimer was only able to run straight ahead and did not participate in any positional drills. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.44 and 4.45 seconds. He also had a 39-inch vertical jump. Latimer was at the NFL Scouting Combine, but only competed in the bench press (in which he led his position group with 23 reps of 225 pounds). Latimer does not have a target date for another workout before the 2014 NFL Draft.

Ted Bolser, TE (6-5 5/8, 248) — Bolser ran the 40 in 4.74 and 4.78 seconds. He had a 31-inch vertical jump and 9-foot-3 broad jump. He did the short shuttle in 4.50 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.11 seconds. He performed 19 strength lifts. Bolser is probably a late-round draft pick or priority free-agent pickup following the draft.

I like Latimer in Rd 3 or 4.

Bolser showed some ability as a receiver on the tape that I saw, but it also looked like he did his best to not touch anyone in the blocking game.  It was a small sample and I need to review more.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Looking at the roster as it stands now and I'll assume VW is back and will play in Sept, the need for 1 or 2 offensive lineman added to keep TB upright.  Injuries will happen so I think 2 maay be drafted early.  In addition, TE and LB additions are needed. All that said, the following picks would get me excited.

1) Jace Amaro

2) Christian Jones

3)Joe Bitonio

4) Dakota Dozier

4) Cody Latimer

6) Walt Aikens

7) Tyler Starr

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to fishers5's comment:

Looking at the roster as it stands now and I'll assume VW is back and will play in Sept, the need for 1 or 2 offensive lineman added to keep TB upright.  Injuries will happen so I think 2 maay be drafted early.  In addition, TE and LB additions are needed. All that said, the following picks would get me excited.

1) Jace Amaro

2) Christian Jones

3)Joe Bitonio

4) Dakota Dozier

4) Cody Latimer

6) Walt Aikens

7) Tyler Starr

Would cover a lot of bases... I would flip flop Bitonio and Jones, but the rest seem pretty realistic.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Wondering out loud, will BB's approach help when drafting? He has been seen at several prospect workouts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:

Wondering out loud, will BB's approach help when drafting? He has been seen at several prospect workouts.

Hey SG1, welcome to the thread!  Not sure I understand the question?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I like to see NE target players early who possess special physical attributes.  Size/Speed/Measurables with great film to match.  I think we have done that in recent years with the early picks of Jones, Hightower, and Collins.  These were all productive players who had elite measurables and athleticism.  Looking at this year's class, I am leaning heavily toward guys like Shazier, Ealy, Nix, Pryor, Attaochu, Sefarian-Jenkins, and Benjamin.  These guys are all special athletes.  Great size/speed/power combos and they have all shown the ability to play at a high level on the field.  My favlorite of the group is Benjamin.  I've been a bit slow to come around on this guy because I don't think WR is our biggest need, but I'm coming to realize that he could become one of the best NFL players in this class.  His size is incredible (6'5"  240 lbs) and he has some of the strongest hands in the draft.  I think he is still a little raw, but he was starting to break out at FSU this past season.  I think his upside is huge.  I know we have greater needs, (TE, DT, OL, etc...) but if Benjamin is there at 29 he may be hard to pass up.  BB likes him enough that he worked him out personally the other day. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Guys I'm really a Bozo in a Genius mind! I can't understand how I get booted for not saying anything! At any rate the Patriots had a great time at the UCF pro day, time will tell if any of the UCF kids impressed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Guys I'm really a Bozo in a Genius mind! I can't understand how I get booted for not saying anything! At any rate the Patriots had a great time at the UCF pro day, time will tell if any of the UCF kids impressed.

Ahh, I understand the code, haha.

Any word on how Storm Johnson performed?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I like to see NE target players early who possess special physical attributes.  Size/Speed/Measurables with great film to match.  I think we have done that in recent years with the early picks of Jones, Hightower, and Collins.  These were all productive players who had elite measurables and athleticism.  Looking at this year's class, I am leaning heavily toward guys like Shazier, Ealy, Nix, Pryor, Attaochu, Sefarian-Jenkins, and Benjamin.  These guys are all special athletes.  Great size/speed/power combos and they have all shown the ability to play at a high level on the field.  My favlorite of the group is Benjamin.  I've been a bit slow to come around on this guy because I don't think WR is our biggest need, but I'm coming to realize that he could become one of the best NFL players in this class.  His size is incredible (6'5"  240 lbs) and he has some of the strongest hands in the draft.  I think he is still a little raw, but he was starting to break out at FSU this past season.  I think his upside is huge.  I know we have greater needs, (TE, DT, OL, etc...) but if Benjamin is there at 29 he may be hard to pass up.  BB likes him enough that he worked him out personally the other day. 

Check out his Florida tape, he absolutely abuses Purifoy.  I agree, he's raw, and his hands are a bit inconsistently but he'd present them with a huge weapon down the middle of the field and create matchup problems no matter where he lined up.  I prefer him to Amaro as the flex type player that can replace some of what Hernandez gave them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Check out his Florida tape, he absolutely abuses Purifoy.  I agree, he's raw, and his hands are a bit inconsistently but he'd present them with a huge weapon down the middle of the field and create matchup problems no matter where he lined up.  I prefer him to Amaro as the flex type player that can replace some of what Hernandez gave them.

Yeah, I definitely prefer Benjamin over Amaro, too.  Just tons of upside.  I watched that FSU-Florida game, and Benjamin was just awesome to watch.  How great would our offense look with Dobson and Benjamin on the outside, and Edelman/Boyce in the slot, Gronk at TE, and Vereen at RB?  Pretty nasty.  I would still look at a TE in the 3rd or 4th, even if we drafted Benjamin.  How about this?

1st)  Benjamin  WR  FSU

2nd)  Easley  DE/DT  Florida

3rd)  Telvin Smith  LB  FSU

4th)  Will Sutton  DT  ASU

Comp)  Charles Sims  RB  WVA

6th)  Chris Watt  OG   ND

6th)  Brock Vereen  SS  Minnesota

7th)  AC Leonard  TE  Tennessee St

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Yeah, I definitely prefer Benjamin over Amaro, too.  Just tons of upside.  I watched that FSU-Florida game, and Benjamin was just awesome to watch.  How great would our offense look with Dobson and Benjamin on the outside, and Edelman/Boyce in the slot, Gronk at TE, and Vereen at RB?  Pretty nasty.  I would still look at a TE in the 3rd or 4th, even if we drafted Benjamin.  How about this?

1st)  Benjamin  WR  FSU

I'm not a fan of Sutton, but the rest of that draft would be fan-fr!gg!n-tastic.  I still think Telvin is a Rd 2 cat, but if he's available at the end of Rd 3, it's a no-brainer for me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

1st)  Benjamin  WR  FSU

I'm not a fan of Sutton, but the rest of that draft would be fan-fr!gg!n-tastic.  I still think Telvin is a Rd 2 cat, but if he's available at the end of Rd 3, it's a no-brainer for me.

I'm not a huge Sutton fan either, but if he there late in the 4th then I think he starts to look pretty good.  Hard to say where Telvin will go.  I could easy see some team falling in love with him and taking him in the 2nd, but seeing him in the 3rd isn't out of the question.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

1st)  Benjamin  WR  FSU

I'm not a huge Sutton fan either, but if he there late in the 4th then I think he starts to look pretty good.  Hard to say where Telvin will go.  I could easy see some team falling in love with him and taking him in the 2nd, but seeing him in the 3rd isn't out of the question.

If they went Easley in Rd 2 and were looking to double down on DT, I'd hope for a Brent Urban or Ed Stinson in Rd 4, both are very strong at the POA and very good vs. the run.  I really think Urban is gonna be a player at the NFL level... love the size/length/versatility.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to fishers5's comment:

1) Jace Amaro

2) Christian Jones

3)Joe Bitonio

4) Dakota Dozier

4) Cody Latimer

6) Walt Aikens

7) Tyler Starr

That is one huge assumption that I really am not a fan of.

There is too much downside if they did not draft a potential starter at DT and the assumption turns out to be wrong. It's one thing for him to be able to play again, another if he is able to come back by Sept, and yet another if he is actually able to play well again. There is no upside to not drafting that DT - only a downside.

On the other hand, there is only upside (perhaps huge) if they draft a potential starter at DT and VW actually comes back to pre-injury form. The rookie gets to watch how VW gets things done, and then takes over the reins in a year or two. At worst, the DT turns out to be a bust; then you are in the same situation as if you did not draft a DT.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Just watched Johnny Manziel and the interviews with Kurt Warner and Mike Mayock afterwards. The kid has it - 

Is he an injury risk? Perhaps? I don't think I would care - if I'm Houston, I would take him. 

His pro day performance could make more shuffling at the top end -hopefully to benefit the Pats. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Ahh, I understand the code, haha.

Any word on how Storm Johnson performed?

I would imagine both he and Bortles did well, but the important part would have been the board games BB came up with, where he designs a play then comes back later and asks them what the play was and what were the responsiblities of each player involved and more specifically their assignments. Storm is starting to gain some momentum up the draft boards from what I've been reading. The other guys they worked out were the McCray twins both are O-linemen and Chris Martin another O-Line guy as well as Jeff Godfrey a WR. They did not work out Bortles.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Food for thought MB, BB probably had Benjamin running TE routes just for giggles...Hoodie never misses out on an idea, I think he would be a better choice as the move TE then any other player in this draft including Amaro,Lyerla, Ebron and any other guy! Yes he may have just looked at his WR skills but it has to be in the back of his mind based upon the size of Benjamin that he could be moved to TE/H-back and probably be outstanding from jump street at 6'5" 240 lbs he already has the body for it.. Like i said a month ago if Pryor or Benjamin are still standing no way do they pass on either.

Sections
Shortcuts