***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Food for thought MB, BB probably had Benjamin running TE routes just for giggles...Hoodie never misses out on an idea, I think he would be a better choice as the move TE then any other player in this draft including Amaro,Lyerla, Ebron and any other guy! Yes he may have just looked at his WR skills but it has to be in the back of his mind based upon the size of Benjamin that he could be moved to TE/H-back and probably be outstanding from jump street at 6'5" 240 lbs he already has the body for it.. Like i said a month ago if Pryor or Benjamin are still standing no way do they pass on either.

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call Benjamin a lock at 29, but he's certainly on the short list, IMO, for the reasons you mentioned above.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

[QUOTE]

Food for thought MB, BB probably had Benjamin running TE routes just for giggles...Hoodie never misses out on an idea, I think he would be a better choice as the move TE then any other player in this draft including Amaro,Lyerla, Ebron and any other guy! Yes he may have just looked at his WR skills but it has to be in the back of his mind based upon the size of Benjamin that he could be moved to TE/H-back and probably be outstanding from jump street at 6'5" 240 lbs he already has the body for it.. Like i said a month ago if Pryor or Benjamin are still standing no way do they pass on either.

I wouldn't call Benjamin a lock at 29, but he's certainly on the short list, IMO, for the reasons you mentioned above.

[/QUOTE] Of course there is no guarentee that either are available! I know that the Hernandez hole has to be filled and I'm pretty sure BB realizes this, he also could go in an entirely different direction when he finally uses a pick, becuase according to Ron Rivera: Brandon Lafell is good enough of a blocker that he could move to the TE/HB position. With this knowledge I could see all kinds of different moves being made, but my top two still remain Pryor and Benjamin. Last but not least what is your opinion of Lonnie Ballentine,FS Memphis.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Another question arose while you've been gone, VW decided to restructure his contract and now the Patriots have some cap space. We don't know how much but the contract only has 3 mil in guarenteed money. Hopefully they'll have enough to sign LaGarrette Blount, before doling out rookie money.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Per cssne, TE CJ Fiedorowicz will visit with the pats later this month, I have him in my mock draft as a third round pick.. 

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/tight-end-fiedorowicz-visit-patriots

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Per cssne, TE CJ Fiedorowicz will visit with the pats later this month, I have him in my mock draft as a third round pick.. 

[/QUOTE]CJ is a Ferentz product so he could be in the Patriots draft plans and many on this board have associated his name with the Pats.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

What do you guys think of Montana LB'er Jordan Tripp?

He's 6'3" 235 and ran a very solid 4.67 40 at the combine. Was times twice at 4.57 and 4.59. Finished 1st among all 'backers at the 20 yard shuffle and 4th at the 3 cone drill, which we know BB loves.

I like Skov a lot too, but Tripp could be a similar pro and might be available with one of our late 4th rd picks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Tripp and Starr are two guys to watch around the 4rth, although I think Tripp is gone by the end of round three.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's 6'3" 235 and ran a very solid 4.67 40 at the combine. Was times twice at 4.57 and 4.59. Finished 1st among all 'backers at the 20 yard shuffle and 4th at the 3 cone drill, which we know BB loves.

I like Skov a lot too, but Tripp could be a similar pro and might be available with one of our late 4th rd picks.

[/QUOTE]

I think that there will be much better players on the board in the 4th round.  I wouldn't touch Tripp until the 6th, and Starr is an UDFA to me.  I honestly doubt he makes a 53 man roster.  Going from playing college ball in South Dakota to the NFL is a huge jump.  Tripp might have a chance, but I don't think he is really that special.  I say stay away from the small school guys in this deep class.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

So, I have to backpedal a little bit here.  The other day I was totally on board with the idea of taking Florida's DT/DE Easely in the 2nd round.  Well, I knew he has had injury issues, but I didn't know that he has blown out both knees!  Sorry, but Easley is off my board completely.  I love the upside and playmaking ability when healthy, but this guy clearly has too many red flags medically.  I would much rather reach a little bit for a healthy player than draft a kid who has both knees reconstructed.  Great talent, can't stay healthy.  BB made the mistake of drafting Ras-I Dowling, and I don't want that mistake repeated.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So, I have to backpedal a little bit here.  The other day I was totally on board with the idea of taking Florida's DT/DE Easely in the 2nd round.  Well, I knew he has had injury issues, but I didn't know that he has blown out both knees!  Sorry, but Easley is off my board completely.  I love the upside and playmaking ability when healthy, but this guy clearly has too many red flags medically.  I would much rather reach a little bit for a healthy player than draft a kid who has both knees reconstructed.  Great talent, can't stay healthy.  BB made the mistake of drafting Ras-I Dowling, and I don't want that mistake repeated.  

[/QUOTE]

That's where the value comes from... he's prob a top half of the 1st round talent when healthy.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Of course there is no guarentee that either are available! I know that the Hernandez hole has to be filled and I'm pretty sure BB realizes this, he also could go in an entirely different direction when he finally uses a pick, becuase according to Ron Rivera: Brandon Lafell is good enough of a blocker that he could move to the TE/HB position. With this knowledge I could see all kinds of different moves being made, but my top two still remain Pryor and Benjamin. Last but not least what is your opinion of Lonnie Ballentine,FS Memphis.

[/QUOTE]

It was good to hear that LaFell takes pride in his blocking... that's a very underrated attribute in a WR.

I don't have anything on Ballentine, but I'll have to check him out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's where the value comes from... he's prob a top half of the 1st round talent when healthy.  

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but what makes you think he will ever stay healthy for any amount of time?  I'm past taking big time medical risks because they present great value.  I would rather see them use that pick on a player who may have a little less talent, but a clean medical history.  I see the upside with Easly, and respect your opinion if you think he is worth the pick there, but in this deep draft I think that pick #62 is still a pretty valuable spot.  I would hate to see us blow it like we did with Dowling.  Easly reminds me a lot of Bowers from Clemson a few years back.  He has been able to stay on the field for Tampa for the most part, but he isn't the same player that he was before all of his knee issues.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Below is my feedback on Tripp after watching his tape on 3/11:

"His movement ability really stands out on tape... quick footed kid, moves well laterally and has good COD and that seems to be backed up by his 6.89 3C, which was good for 16th amongst all defensive players and his 3.96 SS which was good for 7th amongst ALL players at the combine and 2nd amongst defensive players.

I also like his instincts, pursuit angles and effort on every snap... you can tell this kid loves to the play the game.

On the negative side, he can over pursue and needs to do a better job of breaking down in space, he doesnt' show much stack/shed ability and seems to have trouble getting off blocks consistently and he needs to do a better job of protecting his legs.

At the very least, I think he'll be a good ST player, but he's a kid that I'd love to have on my team... just love his effort, approach on the field."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Been saying since about Nov, CJ is the a typical TE BB loves. Big wide body, very strong, surprising speed, top 3 cone performer, top 20 shuttle performer. I'd look at him as our 2nd round pick. I'd say 3rd but I thought Collins in the 3rd last year and the Pats wanted to make sure they got him so they took him in the 2nd. I see something similar playing out this year for CJ

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he's an extremely popular name in these parts due to his size, skill set and pedigree... as well as the need at the position.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Been saying since about Nov, CJ is the a typical TE BB loves. Big wide body, very strong, surprising speed, top 3 cone performer, top 20 shuttle performer. I'd look at him as our 2nd round pick. I'd say 3rd but I thought Collins in the 3rd last year and the Pats wanted to make sure they got him so they took him in the 2nd. I see something similar playing out this year for CJ

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind seeing CJ in the 2nd.  I'd rather get him in the 3rd, but if they reach a little for a guy like CJ who really fits what they look for, has a clean medical history, and is a great guy and worker, I'm fine with that.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

My updated Big 60 Board:

Rd 1:

DE/OLB- Kony Ealy

OLB/DE- Jeremiah Attaochu

LB- Ryan Shazier

DT- Stephon Tuitt

OLB/DE- Dee Ford

WR- Kelvin Benjamin

CB- Kyle Fuller

DT- Ra'shede Hageman

S- Jimmie Ward

Rd 1-2:

OG- Xavier Su’a-Filo

DE/OLB- Marcus Smith

LB- Kyle Van Noy

Rd 2:

DT- Dominique Easley

S- Deone Bucannon

LB- Telvin Smith

OT/OG- Joel Bitonio

DE/OLB- Trent Murphy

WR- Donte Moncrief

TE- Troy Niklas

TE- Jace Amaro

Rd 2-3:

WR- Cody Latimer

DT- DaQuan Jones

TE- Austin Seferian-Jenkins

DE/OLB- Trevor Reilly

ILB- Chris Borland

DT- Ego Ferguson

C/OG- Weston Richburg

ILB- Shayne Skov

Rd 3:

TE- CJ Fiedorowicz

CB- Stanley Jean Baptiste

WR- Bruce Ellington

WR- Jared Abbrederis

RB- Devonte Freeman

DT- Kelcy Quarles

QB- AJ McCarron

LB- Adrian Hubbard

Rd 4-7:

DT- Brent Urban

DE/DT- Ed Stinson

S- Antone Exum

TE- Arthur Lynch

DE/OLB- Will Clarke

DT- Justin Ellis

OG- Chris Watt

OG- Anthony Steen

QB- Aaron Murray

C/OG- Bryan Stork

DT- Bruce Gaston

S- Vinnie Sunseri

DE/OLB- Cassius Marsh

WR- TJ Jones

WR- Kain Colter

WR- Michael Campanaro

OL- John Urschel

S- Brock Vereen

RB- Tyler Gaffney

TE/HB/FB- Trey Burton

TE- Rob Blanchflower

DT- Ryan Carrethers

RB- Alfred Blue

QB- Tom Savage

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

[QUOTE]

My updated Big 60 Board:

Rd 1:

DE/OLB- Kony Ealy

OLB/DE- Jeremiah Attaochu

LB- Ryan Shazier

DT- Stephon Tuitt

OLB/DE- Dee Ford

WR- Kelvin Benjamin

CB- Kyle Fuller

DT- Ra'shede Hageman

S- Jimmie Ward

Rd 1-2:

OG- Xavier Su’a-Filo

DE/OLB- Marcus Smith

LB- Kyle Van Noy

Rd 2:

DT- Dominique Easley

S- Deone Bucannon

LB- Telvin Smith

OT/OG- Joel Bitonio

DE/OLB- Trent Murphy

WR- Donte Moncrief

TE- Troy Niklas

TE- Jace Amaro

Rd 2-3:

WR- Cody Latimer

DT- DaQuan Jones

TE- Austin Seferian-Jenkins

DE/OLB- Trevor Reilly

ILB- Chris Borland

DT- Ego Ferguson

C/OG- Weston Richburg

ILB- Shayne Skov

Rd 3:

TE- CJ Fiedorowicz

CB- Stanley Jean Baptiste

WR- Bruce Ellington

WR- Jared Abbrederis

RB- Devonte Freeman

DT- Kelcy Quarles

QB- AJ McCarron

LB- Adrian Hubbard

Rd 4-7:

DT- Brent Urban

DE/DT- Ed Stinson

S- Antone Exum

TE- Arthur Lynch

DE/OLB- Will Clarke

DT- Justin Ellis

OG- Chris Watt

OG- Anthony Steen

QB- Aaron Murray

C/OG- Bryan Stork

DT- Bruce Gaston

S- Vinnie Sunseri

DE/OLB- Cassius Marsh

WR- TJ Jones

WR- Kain Colter

WR- Michael Campanaro

OL- John Urschel

S- Brock Vereen

RB- Tyler Gaffney

TE/HB/FB- Trey Burton

TE- Rob Blanchflower

DT- Ryan Carrethers

RB- Alfred Blue

QB- Tom Savage

[/QUOTE]

excellent board MB I for the most part agree with you..All of you guys here know your stuff.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

excellent board MB I for the most part agree with you..All of you guys here know your stuff.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, man... yeah this thread has some solid contributors, for sure!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Speaking of CJ here's a nice highlight vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1N65H9w-XM

Now normally I hate highlight vids but this one is more of a generic catching highlight reel and not the omg big play kind. A couple things to note:

• On his stop and go plays notice his stutter step and move. It's very advanced and for a guy his size quite impressive
    • notice those huge hands, remind you of anyone?
    • Notice he squares his shoulders to the ball at every chance. This shows he knows how to use his size to his advantage blocking out any potential reach arounds for deflections
    • He catches the ball away from the body and brings it in with a fluid motion, very good hands

I wish this vid showed more of his blocking but it gives you some idea of his receiving ability. He has great hands, a surprising quick short step, and knows how to effectively block out defenders. Esp, on the goalline, again remind you of anyone?

Much better vid for blocking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqTG4XvbkxQ

Run blocking notice he keeps his hands in, doesn't over extend his leverage, and drives the defender backwards with his forearms and his hands locked instead of trying to push defender with extended arms. That type of blocking is extremely effective because it prevents the defender from reaching out to make a tackle since if the defender reaches out with an arm all CJ has to do is extend his arm while the defender is off balance to pull him out of the play. You can't do that if you are already fully extended.

Pass blocking uses opponents power against them. He keep square extending the arm to the outside while slightly pulling in his inside arm. This redirects the defenders force using their own power to force themselves inside. He keeps that inside angle until he gets past the QB, at which point he switches up nice extending inside arm while retracting outside arm shifting power and weight causing the defender to take an arc to the outside off balance effectively blocking around the QB. Feet movement is great keeping it short and notice his feet never separate futher than his shoulders ensuring the defender can't catch him off balance but also allowing him to direct his full power towards the defender.

On catching notice again uses his body effectively squaring up to make defenders reach around his entire body. Lines up wide, in the slot, and inline effective from all spots. Needs to get off the line quicker when he inline releases and needs to not round his in cuts, but the 3 cone shows he has the ability to do so just needs to develop it a bit further.

Overall he reminds me a lot of Gronk. Not as refined but very similar playing styles and body frames. Athletic freak for a kid his size

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

now that I've had some time to start looking at players.

Here are a few (outside the projected top 25 types) that have caught my "personal" eye.

Jordan Mathews WR

Jared Abbrederis WR

Kelvin Benjamin WR/TE

Dominque Easley DT

Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE

Ego Ferguson DT

Stephon Tuitt (the light version, heavier one not so much)

Donte Moncrief WR

Ka'Deem Carey RB

Jeremiah Attaochu DE/OLB

....still looking

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"His movement ability really stands out on tape... quick footed kid, moves well laterally and has good COD and that seems to be backed up by his 6.89 3C, which was good for 16th amongst all defensive players and his 3.96 SS which was good for 7th amongst ALL players at the combine and 2nd amongst defensive players.

I also like his instincts, pursuit angles and effort on every snap... you can tell this kid loves to the play the game.

On the negative side, he can over pursue and needs to do a better job of breaking down in space, he doesnt' show much stack/shed ability and seems to have trouble getting off blocks consistently and he needs to do a better job of protecting his legs.

At the very least, I think he'll be a good ST player, but he's a kid that I'd love to have on my team... just love his effort, approach on the field."

[/QUOTE]

Nice, thanks.

So probably a solid grab with one of the rd 4 picks who could replace Fletcher?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Watched alot of film on EASLEY...for a guy his size he's incredibly strong, quick and disruptive...he demolished OT Richardson from Tenn in the films I watched...just a tough, quick, strong guy with a knack for getting in the backfiled against bigger talent....at 6-2, 288 he looks trim and fit...I know his knees are pretty bad, but he still manages to move around like all get out...impressive guy...hope we take a flier on the guy...if his knees were in good shape he'd easily be taken before Donaldson from Pitt.

You can get film on almost all top rated picks at this web site:

Draftbreakdown.com

DraftBreakdown.com.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Watched alot of film on EASLEY...for a guy his size he's incredibly strong, quick and disruptive...he demolished OT Richardson from Tenn in the films I watched...just a tough, quick, strong guy with a knack for getting in the backfiled against bigger talent....at 6-2, 288 he looks trim and fit...I know his knees are pretty bad, but he still manages to move around like all get out...impressive guy...hope we take a flier on the guy...if his knees were in good shape he'd easily be taken before Donaldson from Pitt.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think we need to take an injury risk.  I understand his talent, but both knees are reconstructed.  I'd pass.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice, thanks.

So probably a solid grab with one of the rd 4 picks who could replace Fletcher?

[/QUOTE]

I'd be interested in the middle rounds, yeah.

Sections
Shortcuts