***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to mellymel3's comment:

Watched alot of film on EASLEY...for a guy his size he's incredibly strong, quick and disruptive...he demolished OT Richardson from Tenn in the films I watched...just a tough, quick, strong guy with a knack for getting in the backfiled against bigger talent....at 6-2, 288 he looks trim and fit...I know his knees are pretty bad, but he still manages to move around like all get out...impressive guy...hope we take a flier on the guy...if his knees were in good shape he'd easily be taken before Donaldson from Pitt.

You can get film on almost all top rated picks at this web site:

Draftbreakdown.com

DraftBreakdown.com.

Yeah, love his intensity and burst/snap anticipation... he gets on OL before they know what to do with him.  He and Donald pretty close in the disruptive dept.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

This offseason has turned into a soap opera! Fix one hole and the next hole appears! Fixed the Center position today, shortly there after the big RB position was dealt a blow! The 4rth player to leave via FA off of last seasons roster has left the building in LeGarrette Blount. The question is do the Patriots fill any of these holes with FA's or are they going to draft out of need. Neither of the two spots that went vacant b/u linebacker or power RB are essential with whats left on the market. So assuming they draft a linebacker I'm guessing everyone would like Skov, Starr,Tripp or even Mosley as Fletcher's replacement. As for filling the big back position maybe Blue or even Jeremy Hill from LSU would suffice but why take a back when Atkinson III is projected as a udfa by most guru's. Oh well let's wait a day or so and maybe John Kuhn will walk throught those doors.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Kyle Fuller CB looks good. I'd add him to my own personal short list...

Jordan Mathews WR

Jared Abbrederis WR

Kelvin Benjamin WR/TE

Dominque Easley DT

Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE

Ego Ferguson DT

Stephon Tuitt (the light version, heavier one not so much)

Donte Moncrief WR

Ka'Deem Carey RB

Jeremiah Attaochu DE/OLB

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

a few personal comments on some of the guys on the list...

My updated Big 60 Board:

Rd 1:

DE/OLB- Kony Ealy - undecided what I think

OLB/DE- Jeremiah Attaochu - he and Ford while I like are one trick tweener ponies I am never thrilled about taking in a first round

LB- Ryan Shazier - good player just not sure they go LB 1st round?

DT- Stephon Tuitt - If you can give me the 2012 version hell yes

OLB/DE- Dee Ford - same comment as Attaochu

WR- Kelvin Benjamin - certainly intriguing 

CB- Kyle Fuller - looks like a very nice player

DT- Ra'shede Hageman - he is my Nate Solder of this draft. Never liked Solders film, felt they drafted him on upside potential. That is how I view Hageman and can see Pats doing same again

S- Jimmie Ward - have not decided, briefly took a look today.

Rd 1-2:

OG- Xavier Su’a-Filo - have not watched

DE/OLB- Marcus Smith - have not watched

LB- Kyle Van Noy - really like him alot, reminds me of the kid in Arizona Washington from TCU. Very athletic all over the place. If Pats had not drafted Collins last yr I would say he would not be their type.

Rd 2:

DT- Dominique Easley - love him

S- Deone Bucannon - not watched

LB- Telvin Smith - not watched

OT/OG- Joel Bitonio - like to seem him hold his downfield block to the whistle or attempt to OR when he does let go look to find someone else to hit, he often does not. Still he's real solid. Really strong torso, can anchor even when not in the right leverage position

DE/OLB- Trent Murphy - over rated imo

WR- Donte Moncrief - smooth and might be underrated

TE- Troy Niklas - love his potential, would just be so nice to have more video of him in the passing game

TE- Jace Amaro - over rated imo but as a 2nd rounder would not complain

Rd 2-3:

WR- Cody Latimer - have not seen

DT- DaQuan Jones - solid yet unspectacular, feel like we like him more because of his size and Pats tendancy. Seems high to take for player to be simply solid that you could probably find later. Like him a lot more in the 3rd

TE- Austin Seferian-Jenkins - what's his health? Other than that I personally like him a lot

DE/OLB- Trevor Reilly - have not seen

ILB- Chris Borland - undecided, only briefly looked today

DT- Ego Ferguson - young, raw but flashes much better athletic ability than jones imo

C/OG- Weston Richburg - love him

ILB- Shayne Skov - over rated imo, if he doesn't diagnose quickly he plays too slow

Rd 3:

TE- CJ Fiedorowicz- solid, does not look to play as quick as he timed but still like him

CB- Stanley Jean Baptiste - not a fan, not great coverage and super soft for a bigger CB

WR- Bruce Ellington - have not seen

WR- Jared Abbrederis - love him, dude is always open. He and Mathews my two Fav non Top WR's

RB- Devonte Freeman - don't remember, did look at a bunch or RB's but few made an impression

DT- Kelcy Quarles - Dude is pretty stout but always off balance and on the ground way too much for my liking. Bit of an odd build

QB- AJ McCarron - might be underrated

LB- Adrian Hubbard - have not seen

Rd 4-7: (only seen two of the listed below)

DT- Brent Urban

DE/DT- Ed Stinson

S- Antone Exum

TE- Arthur Lynch

DE/OLB- Will Clarke

DT- Justin Ellis - as a late rounder sure. I like him much less than I initially did after watching more games

OG- Chris Watt

OG- Anthony Steen

QB- Aaron Murray

C/OG- Bryan Stork

DT- Bruce Gaston

S- Vinnie Sunseri

DE/OLB- Cassius Marsh

WR- TJ Jones

WR- Kain Colter

WR- Michael Campanaro

OL- John Urschel

S- Brock Vereen

RB- Tyler Gaffney - good value as a late rounder

TE/HB/FB- Trey Burton

TE- Rob Blanchflower

DT- Ryan Carrethers

RB- Alfred Blue

QB- Tom Savage

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Devonte Freeman looks like a gutsy little runner too me. It looks like he tries to pass block, he runs hard, he runs fast. For a little guy he looks a little stiff too me, but that probably doesn't mean much. I don't think this is a make you miss type of back, but that could be a good thing - he looks like he gives one cut and tries to accelerate upfield. I think he'll need to be a pass catcher to really make it in the NFL, but he said at his pro day he is working on that.

Nice find mbeaulieu07.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

Pats let Blount go, as I figured they would (he's overrated) and it is time to draft a young guy again.

The team holes that need to be filled are: TE, S, RB, ILB, WR and DE

I think trading out of 1st R and getting a a 2nd and 3rd R pick is ideal given the depth of the draft, but it may be hard ot find takers for that deal.

The DE positon is th emost problematic ... it should have been dealt with via FA ... but it hasn't ... I am not going to touch the DE positon because I don't see anyone who is going to contribute significantly where Pats are picking ... So here is my draft ...

2R Deone Bucannon S

2R Troy Nicklas TE

3R Jared Abbrederis WR

3R Christian Jones ILB or Shane Skov ILB

4R Tyler Gaffney (RB)

The one change I would consider would be Christian Jones in R2 rather than Nicklas .... and then going with Fiedorowicz (TE) in R3

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

In response to CanadianPat's comment:

Pats let Blount go, as I figured they would (he's overrated) and it is time to draft a young guy again.

The team holes that need to be filled are: TE, S, RB, ILB, WR and DE

I think trading out of 1st R and getting a a 2nd and 3rd R pick is ideal given the depth of the draft, but it may be hard ot find takers for that deal.

The DE positon is th emost problematic ... it should have been dealt with via FA ... but it hasn't ... I am not going to touch the DE positon because I don't see anyone who is going to contribute significantly where Pats are picking ... So here is my draft ...

2R Deone Bucannon S

2R Troy Nicklas TE

3R Jared Abbrederis WR

3R Christian Jones ILB or Shane Skov ILB

4R Tyler Gaffney (RB)

The one change I would consider would be Christian Jones in R2 rather than Nicklas .... and then going with Fiedorowicz (TE) in R3

I'll be shocked if Fiedorowicz is available in late round three. He's rising on a lot of boards according to what I've been reading. He'll be gone by the end of round 2 or early third round at the latest.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

a few personal comments on some of the guys on the list...

Thanks for the feedback, Low.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Devonte Freeman looks like a gutsy little runner too me. It looks like he tries to pass block, he runs hard, he runs fast. For a little guy he looks a little stiff too me, but that probably doesn't mean much. I don't think this is a make you miss type of back, but that could be a good thing - he looks like he gives one cut and tries to accelerate upfield. I think he'll need to be a pass catcher to really make it in the NFL, but he said at his pro day he is working on that.

Nice find mbeaulieu07.

Yeah, just love this kids effort and as you mention, very little waisted motion... one cut and go, keeps the legs pumping, drives forward.  Plays the game the right way.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Well, now that Blount has signed with Pitt, I'm thinking that BB will look to draft a RB at some point.  I think that there will be pretty good RB talent in the board in the 6th and 7th round.  One guy to watch is Jerick McKinnon from GA Southern.  Played QB in College, but will swithch to RB in the NFL.  Benched 225 32 times and still ran a 4.41 at 5'9" 209.  Pretty insane athleticism.  He supposedly looked pretty good running the ball at the Senior Bowl and displayed good pass catching ability, too.  Could be a guy to keep an eye on.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Well, now that Blount has signed with Pitt, I'm thinking that BB will look to draft a RB at some point.  I think that there will be pretty good RB talent in the board in the 6th and 7th round.  One guy to watch is Jerick McKinnon from GA Southern.  Played QB in College, but will swithch to RB in the NFL.  Benched 225 32 times and still ran a 4.41 at 5'9" 209.  Pretty insane athleticism.  He supposedly looked pretty good running the ball at the Senior Bowl and displayed good pass catching ability, too.  Could be a guy to keep an eye on.

PE has been pretty high on him too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Nice.  I figured I was maybe a little late to the party on him.  Haven't read all the pages on this thread.  Could be a nice pick in the late rounds if he is still available.  Probably wouldn't touch him before late 6th or into the 7th, but definitely a late rounder to watch.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Nice.  I figured I was maybe a little late to the party on him.  Haven't read all the pages on this thread.  Could be a nice pick in the late rounds if he is still available.  Probably wouldn't touch him before late 6th or into the 7th, but definitely a late rounder to watch.

You would have to devote many hours to read every page on this thread!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

You aren't too late I think I'm the only one on the wagon right now.

He's going to be a late 3rd-mid 5th type of pick if you want him. But his size, strength, and speed is too much to turn down for some team. Btw, he was a top 5 performer in every catagory at the combine (top 3 in most) but the 60 shuttle. The kid is a physical specimen. If he's there with our comp pick I wouldn't blink an eye if they take him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

He's my Cobb of RB's

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

You aren't too late I think I'm the only one on the wagon right now.

He's going to be a late 3rd-mid 5th type of pick if you want him. But his size, strength, and speed is too much to turn down for some team. Btw, he was a top 5 performer in every catagory at the combine (top 3 in most) but the 60 shuttle. The kid is a physical specimen. If he's there with our comp pick I wouldn't blink an eye if they take him.

Perfect type of player to use a Comp pick on.  Yeah, with those type of workout numbers, getting him in the 6th is probably wishful thinking.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Perfect type of player to use a Comp pick on.  Yeah, with those type of workout numbers, getting him in the 6th is probably wishful thinking.

The funny thing is we basically got that pick because of Woodhead and McKinnon would make the perfect Woodhead replacement

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

He's my Cobb of RB's

Now I know you mean business, haha.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Morning Fellas.  Thought I would post a new Pats mock with a Trade-Down Scenario.  In this mock, I have NE trading #29 and #206 Their 6th) to Tampa for #38, #69, and #221 (7th).  Feedback welcome and encouraged, as always.

#38  Stephon Tuitt  DE/DT  ND    I know this seems like a pipe dream to trade back to 38 and still get Tuitt, but I think his foot may cause him to slide into the 2nd.  NE would have to be very confident with his medical outlook to make this pick.

#62  Deone Bucannon  S  Wazzu   I think Bucannon could step in and be a Day 1 starter at SS for NE.  We all are craving that physical, hard-hitting Safety after seeing what Cam Chancellor did to Denver in the SB.  Watch Bucannon's tape.  He is as physical of a Safety as you will find in this class, and his coverage skills have improved, too.

#69  CJ Fiedorowicz  TE  Iowa  This guy has really grown on me.  Great hands, great blocker, hard worker.  Not an elite athlete, which is why he is available in the 3rd, but sneaky speed for a guy his size.  Very good route runner, too.  I think he would be a solid player for NE for years to come.

#93  Bruce Ellington  WR  South Carolina  One of my favorite players in this class.  Explosive athlete, competitior, great hands.  Reminds me of Randall Cobb.

#130  Brent Urban  DT  Virginia  MB drew my attention to Urban.  I love his tape.  Very physical kid with tremendous size.  Maybe a year out from reaching his full potential, but well worth the pick here.  Big Upside.

#140  (Comp)  Jerick McKinnon  RB  GA Southern  Physical freak.  Ran a 4.41 and Benched 225 32 times.  Raw prospect who is transitioning from QB to RB.  Some may say this is too early for such a raw player, but with Blount gone, we need a RB.  

#198  Louchiez Purifoy  CB  Florida  Once thought of as a possible 1st Rounder, Purifoy has had a terrible draft season and has seen his stock plummett.  If he falls far enough, you know BB will pounce.

#221  John Urschel  OG  Penn State  Great value here.  Urschel will provide valuable depth for the OL, and could become a starter down the road.

#244  Devon Kennard  OLB   USC   Good size at 6'3"  250.   Develpomental guy with upside.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Morning Fellas.  Thought I would post a new Pats mock with a Trade-Down Scenario.  In this mock, I have NE trading #29 and #206 Their 6th) to Tampa for #38, #69, and #221 (7th).  Feedback welcome and encouraged, as always.

#38  Stephon Tuitt  DE/DT  ND    I know this seems like a pipe dream to trade back to 38 and still get Tuitt, but I think his foot may cause him to slide into the 2nd.  NE would have to be very confident with his medical outlook to make this pick.

#62  Deone Bucannon  S  Wazzu   I think Bucannon could step in and be a Day 1 starter at SS for NE.  We all are craving that physical, hard-hitting Safety after seeing what Cam Chancellor did to Denver in the SB.  Watch Bucannon's tape.  He is as physical of a Safety as you will find in this class, and his coverage skills have improved, too.

#69  CJ Fiedorowicz  TE  Iowa  This guy has really grown on me.  Great hands, great blocker, hard worker.  Not an elite athlete, which is why he is available in the 3rd, but sneaky speed for a guy his size.  Very good route runner, too.  I think he would be a solid player for NE for years to come.

#93  Bruce Ellington  WR  South Carolina  One of my favorite players in this class.  Explosive athlete, competitior, great hands.  Reminds me of Randall Cobb.

#130  Brent Urban  DT  Virginia  MB drew my attention to Urban.  I love his tape.  Very physical kid with tremendous size.  Maybe a year out from reaching his full potential, but well worth the pick here.  Big Upside.

#140  (Comp)  Jerick McKinnon  RB  GA Southern  Physical freak.  Ran a 4.41 and Benched 225 32 times.  Raw prospect who is transitioning from QB to RB.  Some may say this is too early for such a raw player, but with Blount gone, we need a RB.  

#198  Louchiez Purifoy  CB  Florida  Once thought of as a possible 1st Rounder, Purifoy has had a terrible draft season and has seen his stock plummett.  If he falls far enough, you know BB will pounce.

#221  John Urschel  OG  Penn State  Great value here.  Urschel will provide valuable depth for the OL, and could become a starter down the road.

#244  Devon Kennard  OLB   USC   Good size at 6'3"  250.   Develpomental guy with upside.  

Home. Run.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Wazzu,

sign me up-that would be a great draft. Realistic trades down as well.

I was trying to remember my thoughts watching games laat year and it seemed team speed always was something I thought we lacked. Jamie Collins is a welcome addition but I would love to see us get more speed and more impact players. Not saying I'm a big fan of dee ford or attatacho, but a guy that is a specialist and can change the game is what we need. Both of those guys offer something we haven't had. 

Thoughts? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:

Wazzu,

I was trying to remember my thoughts watching games laat year and it seemed team speed always was something I thought we lacked. Jamie Collins is a welcome addition but I would love to see us get more speed and more impact players. Not saying I'm a big fan of dee ford or attatacho, but a guy that is a specialist and can change the game is what we need. Both of those guys offer something we haven't had. 

Thoughts? 

Thanks Man.  I like both Ford and Attaochu.  IMO, both players would be worth the pick at 29, as would Shazier who is very athletic and fast as well.  Hard to say where these guys will get drafted, exactly, but I expect Attaochu to be a fast riser as the draft approaches.  A lot to like with him, and I wouldn't be shocked if he goes in the top 25.  Same with Shazier.  Ford could be there at 29, and if BB wants a pure pass rusher then he could be the guy.  Shoring up our run defense needs to be addressed, though.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Wazzu,

Thoughts? 

Thanks Man.  I like both Ford and Attaochu.  IMO, both players would be worth the pick at 29, as would Shazier who is very athletic and fast as well.  Hard to say where these guys will get drafted, exactly, but I expect Attaochu to be a fast riser as the draft approaches.  A lot to like with him, and I wouldn't be shocked if he goes in the top 25.  Same with Shazier.  Ford could be there at 29, and if BB wants a pure pass rusher then he could be the guy.  Shoring up our run defense needs to be addressed, though.  

Any draft dependent upon BB trading out for a specific guy ain't happening. Nice dream draft though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Wazzu,

Thoughts? 

hey mcboyd,

i aree with all of that excep id tak ealy as well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Home. Run.

hey wazzu,

good stuff. the couple things id like different are a better pass rusher and better o lineman our o line is gettign pushed around too much and def to quick to brady too often.

Sections
Shortcuts