***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

Hopefully I have a better draft than I had Final four contestants! I'm down to one team from my prediction for the final 4, Florida. So I am going to wait until the draft to predict who the Patriots take, meaning just before the Patriots selection at #29 I'll unveil my first pick, no sense in being completely shutout.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

My updated mock:

Round 1 - Kelvin Benjamin - WR Florida State

Round 2 - Trent Murphy - DE Stanford

Round 3 - C.J Fiedeorowicz - TE Iowa State 

Round 4 - Seantrel Henderson - OT Miami 

Round 4 - Kelcy Quarles - DT South Carolina 

Round 6 - Connor Shaw - QB South Carolina 

Round 7 - Jerick McKinnon - RB Georgia Southern 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Ok guys after FA how are you feeling about each position. For me here's what I'm looking at:

QB - I don't see them trading Mallett at this point. Not because they wouldn't (honestly anything in the 3rd or higher and I think he's gone) but because there is no one to trade to. Hou grabbed Fits, Minn got Cassel, I have a feeling Clev is ok with Hoyer and might draft a guy in the 1st, and Oak looks good. I just don't see a team to sen Mallett. So to me I'm looking at next year for a QB and not in this year.

WR - They are still looking at guys but after bringing in LaFell and Harrison being camp comp not everyone from last years roster will make the team as is. Unless a major talent falls I just don't see them taking a WR this year. Though I wouldn't be shocked if they get a guy they really like in the mid rounds like a Coleman or Moncrief.

RB - Losing Blount I think was planned and I doubt Boldin is the solution. Boldin is more or a generic run of the mill back and they don't have a proper backup for Vereen so I can see them taking a mid round pick on a smaller pass catching back with some power and speed. There are 3-4 names out there that fit those criteria.

TE - A major need imo. They can't trust Gronk will be healthy and we saw what the TE's look like without Gronk, esp in the RZ. They need to get someone and I don't think it's going to be a pass catching exclusive guy. I think they want to find someone who can fill Gronks shoes if he goes down but still give you more than what Hooman can give you in the passing game.

OT - Solder and Vollmer both had issues staying on the field last season and Cannon might eventually have to move inside next offseason so looks like they need a swing guy who can be groomed to be a starter down the road.

OG - This place needs some depth. This year Cannon seems best staying as the primary T backup but either they need to find a G replacement or move Cannon inside eventually. A swing guy here is a good possibility in the mid rounds

C - With Wendells contract looks like he going to be the starter unless someone is coming in and blowing them away. I don't see them going early on a C in a weaker draft for C's. Maybe they take someone in the mid-late rounds to groom with the possibility of them taking a Koppen jump at camp but I don't see them spending early

DT - Both Kelly and Wilfork are aging and coming off of injury. You can't give them both meaningful reps. Armstead is still a massive unknown and you can see how they feel about Vellano and Jones starting when they traded for Soap and signing Siliga. They need a real starting quality DT and past the 2nd-mid3rd I'm not seeing many. Last year was the time they should have grabbed one or the year before but BB likes drafting into the weaker areas of the draft so I can see him getting one early.

DE - Nink and Jones are the starters. There is no doubt about that. What they need is a 3rd rotational guy with pass rushing ability. Unless Ealy drops I'm not sure I see them taking one early. There are some good rotational pass rushers available in the 3rd-5th rang so I see them going to other areas of need first prior to getting a 3rd DE

LB - They have a good 3 but no one behind them. They need a 4th guy, preferably one with coverage ability. Maybe they look to kill 2 birds with one stone and grab a LB/SS hybrid]

S - Speaking of S, they need a larger in the box safety who can cover bigger TE's and RB's. Harmon looks like a good money coverage S but I don't think he can be the enforcer they need in the playoffs. However, Revis and Browner will give them the ability to overlook this area if they chose to.

CB - Revis is a one year deal and Browner needs to keep his nose clean. If Browner keeps his nose clean then Ryan and Dennard moving forward should be good enough moving forward to not have to draft a CB (could this be the first draft in a while since we didn't draft a DB?). Unless someone really drops I don't see them drafting a CB this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ok guys after FA how are you feeling about each position. For me here's what I'm looking at:

QB - I don't see them trading Mallett at this point. Not because they wouldn't (honestly anything in the 3rd or higher and I think he's gone) but because there is no one to trade to. Hou grabbed Fits, Minn got Cassel, I have a feeling Clev is ok with Hoyer and might draft a guy in the 1st, and Oak looks good. I just don't see a team to sen Mallett. So to me I'm looking at next year for a QB and not in this year.

I agree that Mallet sticks, though I think McCarron in Rd 3 or an Aaron Murray on Day 3 could interest them.

WR - They are still looking at guys but after bringing in LaFell and Harrison being camp comp not everyone from last years roster will make the team as is. Unless a major talent falls I just don't see them taking a WR this year. Though I wouldn't be shocked if they get a guy they really like in the mid rounds like a Coleman or Moncrief.

Middle rounds/Day 3 would be a prime target to land some value... I think they come out've this draft with at least (1) WR.

RB - Losing Blount I think was planned and I doubt Boldin is the solution. Boldin is more or a generic run of the mill back and they don't have a proper backup for Vereen so I can see them taking a mid round pick on a smaller pass catching back with some power and speed. There are 3-4 names out there that fit those criteria.

It seems BB and Co have been in touch with some RB's per the quote that I had posted last week, so I'd fully expect them to take (1) in this class as well.

TE - A major need imo. They can't trust Gronk will be healthy and we saw what the TE's look like without Gronk, esp in the RZ. They need to get someone and I don't think it's going to be a pass catching exclusive guy. I think they want to find someone who can fill Gronks shoes if he goes down but still give you more than what Hooman can give you in the passing game.

I'm not overly enamored with any of the TE's that could be available to them... but I agree that a Niklas or ASJ or CJF or Lynch, etc. could be targets due to their ability to play inline or flexed out.  It's certainly a need.

OT - Solder and Vollmer both had issues staying on the field last season and Cannon might eventually have to move inside next offseason so looks like they need a swing guy who can be groomed to be a starter down the road.

Would be a smart play.

OG - This place needs some depth. This year Cannon seems best staying as the primary T backup but either they need to find a G replacement or move Cannon inside eventually. A swing guy here is a good possibility in the mid rounds

Agreed.

C - With Wendells contract looks like he going to be the starter unless someone is coming in and blowing them away. I don't see them going early on a C in a weaker draft for C's. Maybe they take someone in the mid-late rounds to groom with the possibility of them taking a Koppen jump at camp but I don't see them spending early

Agreed.

DT - Both Kelly and Wilfork are aging and coming off of injury. You can't give them both meaningful reps. Armstead is still a massive unknown and you can see how they feel about Vellano and Jones starting when they traded for Soap and signing Siliga. They need a real starting quality DT and past the 2nd-mid3rd I'm not seeing many. Last year was the time they should have grabbed one or the year before but BB likes drafting into the weaker areas of the draft so I can see him getting one early.

I love Brent Urban in Rd 3 or 4... also love Ed Stinson in Rd 4, but I too would like to see them add some talent/depth at DT within the first 3 rounds.

DE - Nink and Jones are the starters. There is no doubt about that. What they need is a 3rd rotational guy with pass rushing ability. Unless Ealy drops I'm not sure I see them taking one early. There are some good rotational pass rushers available in the 3rd-5th rang so I see them going to other areas of need first prior to getting a 3rd DE

I'd like to see them target this position high and outside of Ealy, I love Attaochu and even Dee Ford in Rd 1, or Marcus Smith in Rd 2.  I'd rather they don't wait until later on this one.

LB - They have a good 3 but no one behind them. They need a 4th guy, preferably one with coverage ability. Maybe they look to kill 2 birds with one stone and grab a LB/SS hybrid]

I think they continue to add athleticism/skill here... and will target kids with the ability to cover, and give them increased flexibility as the game turns more situational.

S - Speaking of S, they need a larger in the box safety who can cover bigger TE's and RB's. Harmon looks like a good money coverage S but I don't think he can be the enforcer they need in the playoffs. However, Revis and Browner will give them the ability to overlook this area if they chose to.

I still want that assassin for the back end of the secondary.

CB - Revis is a one year deal and Browner needs to keep his nose clean. If Browner keeps his nose clean then Ryan and Dennard moving forward should be good enough moving forward to not have to draft a CB (could this be the first draft in a while since we didn't draft a DB?). Unless someone really drops I don't see them drafting a CB this year.

I'll be interested to see how they'll address this situation as there is some uncertainty after this year.  Wouldn't be surprised to see them target a kid with size, positional versatility and a good 40/3C like Dontae Johnson or our boy Exum in the middle rounds.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from minnypat. Show minnypat's posts

my mindset this morning...

trade down - 1st for a 2 and 4, and somehow get a third for Mallet.

in 2nd with two picks take CJF and Bucannon. Plan B would be Achuonno and Niklas.

In 3rd with two picks take Weston Richburg and Telvin Smith.

In 4th with three picks take Jerrick MacKinnon, Dakota Dozier and Billy Turner.

In 6th take Walt Aikens and Brett Smith.

I'm an OLine guy obviously. Everyone wants a DT and DE but I'm betting on Armstead and signing a Robert Ayers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegeeman. Show teegeeman's posts

East Coast Sports has Pats taking SS Buchannon as first round pick. (Bortles and Manziel out of first round!)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to teegeeman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

East Coast Sports has Pats taking SS Buchannon as first round pick. (Bortles and Manziel out of first round!)

[/QUOTE]

I'm all for publications projecting against conventional wisdom, but it seems a bit crazy to assume that both Bortles and Manziel will not be drafted in Rd 1.

I could see Bucannon getting some 1st round love.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

MB,

pi am warming up on Attaochu after watching more and more of him. 

I can imagine a scenario where he lines up with our other 3 outstanding backers, with vw at nt, Kelly, armstead, urban as 3-4 ends. 

here is where I am leaning today....

1. Attaochu

2. nicklas trade up or trade 2 back to 3 and get Fedeirowicz. 

3. Urban

4. Comp pick (OG/OT) ..still researching on who exactly..I have about 6-8 names here now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

MB,

I can imagine a scenario where he lines up with our other 3 outstanding backers, with vw at nt, Kelly, armstead, urban as 3-4 ends. 

1. Attaochu

3. Urban

4. Comp pick (OG/OT) ..still researching on who exactly..I have about 6-8 names here now.

Yeah, love his upside and versatility.  I've watched all of his 2013 tape and some of this 2012 tape.  GT moved to a 43 in 2013, so the 2012 tape shows him more as a 34 OLB.

What OL names are you liking in that range?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

MB,

1. Attaochu

3. Urban

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, love his upside and versatility.  I've watched all of his 2013 tape and some of this 2012 tape.  GT moved to a 43 in 2013, so the 2012 tape shows him more as a 34 OLB.

[/QUOTE]

Steen, Turner, Hurst, Leno to name 4. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

MB,

1. Attaochu

3. Urban

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like attaochu in either capacity and like him even more when coupled with Collins. 2 guys that  can fly around and make plays.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

MB,

1. Attaochu

3. Urban

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Steen, Turner, Hurst, Leno to name 4. 

[/QUOTE]

I'll have to give Leno a look.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Updated Patriots Mock Draft - 3/31/2014

Round 1 - Kelvin BenJamin - WR - Florida State Brandon LaFell and Benjamin are working out together per Gil Brandt.

Round 2 - Will Clarke - DE/DT - West Virinia

Round 4 - Billy Turner- OT - North Dakota State 

Round 7 - Tyler Gaffney - RB Stanford 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

The name game takes to long and changing the draft date stinks!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Round 1 - Kelvin BenJamin - WR - Florida State Brandon LaFell and Benjamin are working out together per Gil Brandt.

[/QUOTE]

Clarke is rated that high now? He was a fourth rounder after the combine. I don't think he should be rated higher than Quarles. Not sure about CJF vs Clarke. Just based on impact to the team, I would take CJF over Clarke. If you really want a DE after that, I would pick up Urban or even Westbrooks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

My big three Hageman,Pryor, and Benjamin.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

[QUOTE]

Clarke is rated that high now? He was a fourth rounder after the combine. I don't think he should be rated higher than Quarles. Not sure about CJF vs Clarke. Just based on impact to the team, I would take CJF over Clarke. If you really want a DE after that, I would pick up Urban or even Westbrooks.

[/QUOTE]
    Read what everyone says about Clarke and then tell me he's not a BB type of guy. His stock has risen also. For our needs at the bottom of the second.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

MB,

1. Attaochu

3. Urban

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have to say, I never heard of Attaochu until you mentioned him MB.  Now, his stock is starting to rise.  I think they might be reading your posts.

http://www.drafttek.com/2014-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

I like this draft website because it takes a consensus of many other sites.  Attaochu goes #20 to the Cards in this projection.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

MB,

1. Attaochu

3. Urban

[/QUOTE]

lifer,

i like the fist 2 selections (the players and the order of priority i have)

pass rusher and blocking /catching te.

need to add a stud to the o line as well

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Thomas_Paine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

MB,

1. Attaochu

3. Urban

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have to say, I never heard of Attaochu until you mentioned him MB.  Now, his stock is starting to rise.  I think they might be reading your posts.

I like this draft website because it takes a consensus of many other sites.  Attaochu goes #20 to the Cards in this projection.

[/QUOTE]

"I have to say, I never heard of Attaochu until you mentioned him MB.  Now, his stock is starting to rise.  I think they might be reading your posts."

the case wih a lot of our picks in the past as well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

MB,

1. Attaochu

3. Urban

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i see my guy ealy makes it to 29 :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree that Mallet sticks, though I think McCarron in Rd 3 or an Aaron Murray on Day 3 could interest them.

Middle rounds/Day 3 would be a prime target to land some value... I think they come out've this draft with at least (1) WR.

It seems BB and Co have been in touch with some RB's per the quote that I had posted last week, so I'd fully expect them to take (1) in this class as well.

I'm not overly enamored with any of the TE's that could be available to them... but I agree that a Niklas or ASJ or CJF or Lynch, etc. could be targets due to their ability to play inline or flexed out.  It's certainly a need.

Would be a smart play.

Agreed.

Agreed.

I love Brent Urban in Rd 3 or 4... also love Ed Stinson in Rd 4, but I too would like to see them add some talent/depth at DT within the first 3 rounds.

I'd like to see them target this position high and outside of Ealy, I love Attaochu and even Dee Ford in Rd 1, or Marcus Smith in Rd 2.  I'd rather they don't wait until later on this one.

I think they continue to add athleticism/skill here... and will target kids with the ability to cover, and give them increased flexibility as the game turns more situational.

I still want that assassin for the back end of the secondary.

I'll be interested to see how they'll address this situation as there is some uncertainty after this year.  Wouldn't be surprised to see them target a kid with size, positional versatility and a good 40/3C like Dontae Johnson or our boy Exum in the middle rounds.

[/QUOTE]

I see DT and OLB as the two positions they are most likely to target high.  I think they may also target either a WR or TE high, and I think the choice between those positions will depend on the talent available.  Interior O line, RB, safety, and DE remain needs, but I see these more as opportunistic picks that they'll make if they feel they are getting great value for the pick, but won't be the same priority as the previously mentioned positions.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would be very happy with Kony Ealy as well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Read what everyone says about Clarke and then tell me he's not a BB type of guy. His stock has risen also. For our needs at the bottom of the second.

[/QUOTE]

BB has surprised us before, but I don't see Clarke as a Rd 2 talent (especially in this loaded class of talent)... maybe the back end of Rd 3 at the highest... but I like him as a middle round edge option with some size, length and movement ability.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

MB,

1. Attaochu

3. Urban

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'd be dancing like Chris Farley in the old SNL Chippendales sketch if they land Ealy.