***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to Thomas_Paine's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

MB,

pi am warming up on Attaochu after watching more and more of him. 

I can imagine a scenario where he lines up with our other 3 outstanding backers, with vw at nt, Kelly, armstead, urban as 3-4 ends. 

here is where I am leaning today....

1. Attaochu

2. nicklas trade up or trade 2 back to 3 and get Fedeirowicz. 

3. Urban

4. Comp pick (OG/OT) ..still researching on who exactly..I have about 6-8 names here now.

Yeah, love his upside and versatility.  I've watched all of his 2013 tape and some of this 2012 tape.  GT moved to a 43 in 2013, so the 2012 tape shows him more as a 34 OLB.

What OL names are you liking in that range?

I have to say, I never heard of Attaochu until you mentioned him MB.  Now, his stock is starting to rise.  I think they might be reading your posts.

http://www.drafttek.com/2014-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

I like this draft website because it takes a consensus of many other sites.  Attaochu goes #20 to the Cards in this projection.

And I was prob a bit late to the game on him as well... wish I would've watched his tape sooner! Ha

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

If Manziel falls to the 29th pick, you have to think about it if I were the Pats. Never happen, but crazy things happen with QB's in the Draft.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I have seen posts here for drafting a OG early.  I think we can wait a year.

From Reiss' mailbag:

Q. Mike, what do you know about this guard from UCLA -- Zavier Su'a-Filo? Even with the Wendell signing, the Pats are not young at those positions. Other than Logan Mankins, they're not very good, either. -- Peter (Texas)

A. Peter, Su'a-Filo enters the draft after his junior season, is 6-foot-3 and 305 pounds, and was athletic enough to line up at left tackle even if he struggled there at times. He has a lot of experience, with 40 career starts. Overall, I view the Patriots' interior line a little bit differently as I see some promising youth in Josh Kline and then developmental potential with Chris Barker and Braxston Cave. I'm not saying that means they won't draft at the position, but I don't think the cupboard is as empty as some make it out to be.

This is my opinion also.  Thye have players that will perform better than most rookies.  I think the focus on other areas first.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

I have seen posts here for drafting a OG early.  I think we can wait a year.

From Reiss' mailbag:

Q. Mike, what do you know about this guard from UCLA -- Zavier Su'a-Filo? Even with the Wendell signing, the Pats are not young at those positions. Other than Logan Mankins, they're not very good, either. -- Peter (Texas)

A. Peter, Su'a-Filo enters the draft after his junior season, is 6-foot-3 and 305 pounds, and was athletic enough to line up at left tackle even if he struggled there at times. He has a lot of experience, with 40 career starts. Overall, I view the Patriots' interior line a little bit differently as I see some promising youth in Josh Kline and then developmental potential with Chris Barker and Braxston Cave. I'm not saying that means they won't draft at the position, but I don't think the cupboard is as empty as some make it out to be.

This is my opinion also.  Thye have players that will perform better than most rookies.  I think the focus on other areas first.

I agree. They might take a chance on a mid to late round kid like a Fuller or Stork but I don't see them going early for one

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Sup gents, not sure if you guys are able to watch some of NE's games last year.  I still have some recorded on DVR since I can't get them all in Atlanta the ones I can I record.

Anyways, going back watching a few of them and have to be honest. Chris Jones and Vellano had flashes specially in passing downs.  There might be something there with both of them.

Not saying they still don't need that NT type but if Revis and the other CBs pay dividends and on their second year, those two can be let loose and rush inside which is their strength.  You have to like Vellano's motor, none stop and he does have a low ceiling but put that motor on a few downs to hunt QBs I think he could be an impact guy in that situation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Jones and Vellano cannot hold up as starters. I think Jones may best suited for the "Mike Wright" role.  He seemed to get into the backfield.  I still think they will draft a DT it just depends how the defense will be deployed going forward. Are we moving to quicker smaller tackles or still mixing with a hybrid 3-4.  In 2004, they had Keith Traylor and drafted Wilfork.  Could happen again with Nix.

So, the question is, is DT still a 1st Rd need?  If not, what is?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Jones and Vellano cannot hold up as starters. I think Jones may best suited for the "Mike Wright" role.  He seemed to get into the backfield.  I still think they will draft a DT it just depends how the defense will be deployed going forward. Are we moving to quicker smaller tackles or still mixing with a hybrid 3-4.  In 2004, they had Keith Traylor and drafted Wilfork.  Could happen again with Nix.

When I take a look at the roster, look at what they have the one position that scares me the most is LB.

They are extremely thin, basically no depth.  Not sure if that's a 1st round pick but hope someone does get drafted.  

1st round I'm still looking at DT, I like Tuitt.

On vellano I agree not full time starters but as rotation guys to hunt QBs I think they add value.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:

When I take a look at the roster, look at what they have the one position that scares me the most is LB.

They are extremely thin, basically no depth.  Not sure if that's a 1st round pick but hope someone does get drafted.  

On vellano I agree not full time starters but as rotation guys to hunt QBs I think they add value.

Agreed, IMO think pass rusher and Cover LB are the 2 top needs.  But if Pryor is available or Nix, I think they go that way.  Tuitt may be top of 2nd Rd, so if they trade back, great!  Its tough there are some really good prospects but I think NE will need to move around to get them.

But for every high rd projected player there is a clone in the later rounds, Nix- Ellis, Tuitt- Coleman, Ealy-K Martin/WClarke, Shazier-KPLouis, etc.

In the end, I think this draft will provide some elite and solid straters for NE.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Patriots are hosting Manziel ! Could there be a new style offense coming to New England.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Maybe BB doing BO'B a favor by taking a look at Mr. Football to determine if he should be the number one pick. The fastest way for a new coach to get fired is to mess up your first ever draft pick - especially when it is a number one overall - especially if it is the wrong quarterback

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Manziels going to be drafted first overall. That's my opinion.. If I was to draft first over all I would take him. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Manziel is a dangerous pick at #1 overall. If I were BO'B I'd take Robinson the LT from Auburn. Most folks think Clowney would make a good choice at #1 but he's a question mark himself. JMO!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:

Maybe BB doing BO'B a favor by taking a look at Mr. Football to determine if he should be the number one pick. The fastest way for a new coach to get fired is to mess up your first ever draft pick - especially when it is a number one overall - especially if it is the wrong quarterback

I was thinking the same thing.  I wonder if they talked and BB agreed to take a look and then compare notes with BO'B.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

Who do you all think the most likely trade partner is?  

In 2011, the Pats traded up twice in the first round, both times moving up 6 spots to select C. Jones and D. Hightower.

This year, KC sits 6 spots ahead of us at #23.  Andy Reid and BB have a long history as trade partners and they even made the following trade in 2011 to keep the streak going.

Philadelphia Eagles: Acquire pick No. 193 in 2011

New England Patriots: Acquire pick No. 194 in 2011

Other potential trade partners are GB at #21, Cinci at #24, NO at #27, Hou at #33, TB at #38, and the Vikings at #40.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Agreed, IMO think pass rusher and Cover LB are the 2 top needs.  But if Pryor is available or Nix, I think they go that way.  Tuitt may be top of 2nd Rd, so if they trade back, great!  Its tough there are some really good prospects but I think NE will need to move around to get them.

But for every high rd projected player there is a clone in the later rounds, Nix- Ellis, Tuitt- Coleman, Ealy-K Martin/WClarke, Shazier-KPLouis, etc.

In the end, I think this draft will provide some elite and solid straters for NE.

Clone maybe in physical appearance, but there's a reason why Nix, Tuitt, Ealy and Shazier are potential Rd 1 kids and the others are Mid round/Day 3 types.

I agree with your overall point, they should be able to bring in some kids that can help/start/impact next year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Clone maybe in physical appearance, but there's a reason why Nix, Tuitt, Ealy and Shazier are potential Rd 1 kids and the others are Mid round/Day 3 types.

I agree with your overall point, they should be able to bring in some kids that can help/start/impact next year.

agree mb they need to come out with 2 potential starting D guys.  There are some really good gems in 4th to 6th round but a 4 down player that's first 2 rounds on D.

I really want to see another LB picked, I think Hightower staying in that MLB spot and getting more reps will be huge for him.  The dude is massive and moves better than Spikes ever did he's bigger than Spikes as well.  

If there's a 100% gurantee that Pats can move from 29 trade back still pick Tuitt I be all for it.  

Here's a nice article about what Pats got last season when they traded,

from January but good stuff

http://nesn.com/2014/01/patriots-made-out-like-bandits-in-trade-with-vikings-out-of-first-round-of-2013-nfl-draft-mailbag/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Cody Latimer (6-2 215 / 9 5/8 inch hands) with 40 times of 4.44 and 4.45 at his pro day... he also had a 39 in vert, to go along with his 23 reps @ 225, which was the most of any WR at the combine.  No 3C/SS times that I can find.

I've said it before, I like him better than Aaron Dobson at the same stage and would have no problem if BB/NC/ML/GS were to take him in Rd 2... steal in Rd 3, IMO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Cody Latimer (6-2 215 / 9 5/8 inch hands) with 40 times of 4.44 and 4.45 at his pro day... he also had a 39 in vert, to go along with his 23 reps @ 225, which was the most of any WR at the combine.  No 3C/SS times that I can find.

I've said it before, I like him better than Aaron Dobson at the same stage and would have no problem if BB/NC/ML/GS were to take him in Rd 2... steal in Rd 3, IMO.

I still take Norwood lol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Latimer in the 2nd? That might be pushing it. I'd rather Hoffman in the 5th (provided we trade and get a pick) or if we are going that early Moncrief or Coleman in the 2nd/3rd

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Latimer in the 2nd? That might be pushing it. I'd rather Hoffman in the 5th (provided we trade and get a pick) or if we are going that early Moncrief or Coleman in the 2nd/3rd

Yeah, I think he's very underrated... I'd take him over Coleman every day of the week.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I still take Norwood lol

I like Norwood, I just like Latimer more than Norwood.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I would be very happy if the Pats got any one of these guys with their first pick..

TE Eric Ebron

DT Ra Shede Hageman

S Calvin Pryor

S Ha Ha Clinton Dix

LB CJ Mosley

OLB Ryan Shazier

NT Louis Nix

CB Jason Verrett (look out Kyle Arrington)

CB Kyle Fuller

TE Troy Niklas

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

So after the announced Manziel visit, the Patriots announce they will be hosting Bridgewater today as well. Somethings up! This could just be due dilligence, but these visits have an aroma to them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:

So after the announced Manziel visit, the Patriots announce they will be hosting Bridgewater today as well. Somethings up! This could just be due dilligence, but these visits have an aroma to them.

It's not the first time they brought in QB's that were suppose to be 1st round picks. It's also not the first time they brought in multiple players who were and did go in the top 10 in a single year and they had no shot at. Sometimes where there's smoke it's just dust in the air from cleaning out the files to make room for new ones.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I would be very happy if the Pats got any one of these guys with their first pick..

TE Eric Ebron

DT Ra Shede Hageman

S Calvin Pryor

S Ha Ha Clinton Dix

LB CJ Mosley

OLB Ryan Shazier

NT Louis Nix

CB Jason Verrett (look out Kyle Arrington)

CB Kyle Fuller

TE Troy Niklas

They prob have no shot at Ebron, Pryor, Clinton-Dix or Mosley.

Potential chance at Nix, though I think he's gone too.

I think you're looking at Shazier, Hageman, Verrett or Fuller.

I like Niklas in Rd 2.

Sections
Shortcuts