***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

MB,

I watched some of the FSU v Clemson game last night, with an eye on the DTs. Unfortunately, the kid who jumped out to me is a true So - Clemson's #48, D J Reader. He is listed on ESPN as 6'3", 335 (a well-built 335; not a fat-looking 335)

He actually got creamed by a double @10:43 in Q2 (the double got him to his knees); but was strong overall. He definitely overpowered single blockers, pushing them back to the QB. He will get stronger and should develop moves with another year of college experience.

I just had to put it out there because I will forget about this guy.

Love spotting high performing underclassmen, def frustrating when you realize that they're not draft eligible! ha

How did Timmy look?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Timmy was solid. He did not necessarily wow me but I can't ding him for anything either. I saw him make a tackle in the opponent's the backfield at least once. I thought I saw him another time, but for some reason, am not sure if that was him.

I just would like to see him show a little more ability to penetrate. I believe sub-300lb DTs get run over in the NFL if trying to hold rather than exploding forward. Some sub-300 DTs are exceptions, but that's the thing, they are exceptions. Maybe too high an expectation, but I'd like to see in Timmy just a little bit of Watt or Fairley when they were in college.

Then again, if he does show that ability, he'll probably be out of the Pats' reach.

I will probably see him again. I really enjoy watching FSU because of Winston. So I am sure I will have other chances to check out Jernigan.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

being that we most likely will lose spikes to FA has anyone looked at Ryan Shazier from OSU?  he is a very solid LB who can cover sideline to sideline.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

being that we most likely will lose spikes to FA has anyone looked at Ryan Shazier from OSU?  he is a very solid LB who can cover sideline to sideline.  

I think it all depends on what his weight is... believe he's listed around 225 which is far too light to play on the inside, and about 30 punds lighter thatn Spikes... though he may interest them as that hybrid LB/S type.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

With the value that BB places on ST and versatility, I'd love to see him spend a Day 2 pick on Oregon WR/RB/PR/KR De'Anthony Thomas... speed, speed, speed, speed... speed.  Kid legit flies and is a threat to score anytime he touches the ball... he's also tougher than his size would indicate and he's not afraid to jam it up between the tackles.  He would also add a ton of speed and skill to their KR/PR units.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

huge fan of Keith Price as a 7th round pick maybe a good project... also love Bishop Sankey andDuke Johnson at RB. animals

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

huge fan of Keith Price as a 7th round pick maybe a good project... also love Bishop Sankey andDuke Johnson at RB. animals

Yeah, Sankey's been awesome this season... Johnson is another talented kid, but he wont' be draft eligible until next season as he's a true soph.  Price is an undersized kid, but you have to love his combo of mobility, toughness and athleticism and he's been fairly accurate overall.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

FSU's offense is just whacky right now... 35 points on the board with 2:02 left in the 1st Q.  Freshman phenonmJameis Winston is 11-14 for 229 and 3 TD's.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Yeah, Sankey's been awesome this season... Johnson is another talented kid, but he wont' be draft eligible until next season as he's a true soph.  Price is an undersized kid, but you have to love his combo of mobility, toughness and athleticism and he's been fairly accurate overall.

also love Price's leadership. seems like a real winner. really like him as a possible project for post-TB.

also a guy i didnt see on your watch list was Brandon Cooks rom ORST. not a huge guy but  sure can get open and catch!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

also love Price's leadership. seems like a real winner. really like him as a possible project for post-TB.

also a guy i didnt see on your watch list was Brandon Cooks rom ORST. not a huge guy but  sure can get open and catch!

Yeah, hadn't updated that list since August... Cooks has had a big year and looks like a solid Day 2 option for someone.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

What do we think of Tajh Boyd? i really liked him coming into this year but i hate when guys cant win big games and thats his definition kindaaa. great passer and very mobile, but a smart mobile.

What do we think of Tajh Boyd? i really liked him coming into this year but i hate when guys cant win big games and thats his definition kindaaa. great passer and very mobile, but a smart mobile.

Def a rough week for him vs. FSU, but he was also good in a win against a very good LSU D/Secondary in their bowl last year.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Def a rough week for him vs. FSU, but he was also good in a win against a very good LSU D/Secondary in their bowl last year.  

for sure. thats the game where i knew i wanted the pats to grab DeAndre both of them looked very good against the SEC D.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

I am really liking OSU's carlos Hyde as a late round RB pickup.  good quick feet for a 230+ rb hits the hole hard and fast and a reliable recieving threat.  best part is he is projected from the 3-5 round.  Kid is a stud and i would love to see him here.  

I am really liking OSU's carlos Hyde as a late round RB pickup.  good quick feet for a 230+ rb hits the hole hard and fast and a reliable recieving threat.  best part is he is projected from the 3-5 round.  Kid is a stud and i would love to see him here.  

Would be a pretty good  Day 3 option if they're looking to add a big back.

Adding another name to my Rd 1/2 option list.

LSU RS JR. DT Ego Ferguson (6-3 310) looks like a good fit for what BB likes in his interior trench players.  Good size/girth, physical and strong at the point, very good run defender who's developing as a pass-rusher... certainly needs to refine his technique, but has active/violent hands, can bullrush the pocket and gives a solid effort, whether up the field or in pursuit.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Watched some video on EGO, I like his size but he plays high. I agree he has violent hands but can overrun plays.  He looks bigger than 310 but has a low center of gravity, which is a plus.  Great push. Does give effort: a high motor guy.  I would defintely consider him in 3rd or 4th round.

Below is my current Rd 1 watch list... certainly want to see more tape on all, and the list is fluid, but I think all have the potential to work their way into the late Day 1, early Day 2 (Top 40 or so) range.  

At this point, I'd like to see them add depth/talent to the trenches, so I'm focused heavily on the OL/DL at this point, though I think they could also address the secondary, QB or LB at some point.  This also projects as a talented/deep draft for WR, though I'd rather see them add a veteran.

Offensive:

OG/OT Zack Martin- ND

OG/OT David Yankey- Stanford

OG- Gabe Jackson- MSU

QB- Tajh Boyd- Clemson

QB- AJ McCarron- Alabama

QB- Derek Carr- Fresno State

Defensive:

CB Bradley Roby- OSU

CB/S Antone Exum- VT

DT- Timmy Jerigan- FSU

DT- Ego Ferguson- LSU

DT- Anthony Johnson- LSU

DT- Ra'Shede Hageman- Minnesota

DE/OLB- Trent Murphy- Stanford

DE/OLB- Adrian Hubbard- Alabama

OLB- Kyle Van Noy- BYU

ILB- AJ Johnson- Tennessee

Below is my current Rd 1 watch list... certainly want to see more tape on all, and the list is fluid, but I think all have the potential to work their way into the late Day 1, early Day 2 (Top 40 or so) range.  

At this point, I'd like to see them add depth/talent to the trenches, so I'm focused heavily on the OL/DL at this point, though I think they could also address the secondary, QB or LB at some point.  This also projects as a talented/deep draft for WR, though I'd rather see them add a veteran.

Offensive:

OG/OT Zack Martin- ND

OG- Gabe Jackson- MSU

QB- Tajh Boyd- Clemson

QB- AJ McCarron- Alabama

Defensive:

CB Bradley Roby- OSU

CB/S Antone Exum- VT

DT- Timmy Jerigan- FSU

DT- Ego Ferguson- LSU

DT- Anthony Johnson- LSU

OLB- Kyle Van Noy- BYU

as an OSU alumni I am really opposed to getting bradley Roby.  I don't think he is very good at man coverage, though he has all of the physical skills I think he will get flagged for pass interverence constantly in the pros.  In the pas 3 games that he has been present for (not ejected)  he has been getting away with a bit of pass interference.  Plus his off field issues.  From what I have seen I like exum more.  

Offensive:

OG/OT Zack Martin- ND

OG- Gabe Jackson- MSU

QB- Tajh Boyd- Clemson

QB- AJ McCarron- Alabama

Defensive:

CB Bradley Roby- OSU

CB/S Antone Exum- VT

DT- Timmy Jerigan- FSU

DT- Ego Ferguson- LSU

DT- Anthony Johnson- LSU

OLB- Kyle Van Noy- BYU

as an OSU alumni I am really opposed to getting bradley Roby.  I don't think he is very good at man coverage, though he has all of the physical skills I think he will get flagged for pass interverence constantly in the pros.  In the pas 3 games that he has been present for (not ejected)  he has been getting away with a bit of pass interference.  Plus his off field issues.  From what I have seen I like exum more.  

I agree that his off the field will definitely need to be looked into.  He looks like a very good all around CB though with a good blend of size, speed and physicality and he gets his hands on a ton of footballs with 31 BU/8 INT's over the last 2.5 seasons.

Exum just needs to get on the field as he played his first game of the year this past Sat. (recovering from ACL injury), but there aren't many 220+ kids with his combo of speed, physicality and coverage ability.  My ranking of his more on upside/ability at this point.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Two uunderrated CBs that I suggest you guys look into...

U of Washington #21 Marcus Peters

Oregon #21 Avery Patterson

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Two uunderrated CBs that I suggest you guys look into...

U of Washington #21 Marcus Peters

Oregon #21 Avery Patterson

Looking forward to checking out Mizzou's EJ Gaines too... similar size, speed and skill set to Logan Ryan... gets his hands on a ton of footballs, solid overall tackler and utilized on blitzes, etc.  He too projects as a Day 2 kid.

My first very early mock draft:

assuming talib is resigned and wendell is allowed to walk, perhaps cut connolly if he refuses to restructure.  I believe we have a good set of young WR's who just need time to get used to playing with brady and they will improve with a years experience.  Perhaps bring in anothe less injury prone vet WR but besides that I think that position is fine.  I think our most glaring weaknesses this seaon were the interior of our lines. injury on the D line and the lack of size on our O-line.  vince and kelly are both amazing linemen but they are going to be 32 and 33 respectively and we need to start thinking about bringing in someone to take their place in the future.    The safety position is an issue but being that BB is not good at drfting that position I say get it in FA, sure we spend a little more to get a solid SS but we are not wasting valueable draft picks over and over.  

1st round - Rashede Hagman, DT Minnesota

2nd round - T. Swanson, C, Arkansas - we need a big center to fight the mammoth DTs we have trouble with

3rd round - Daniel McCullers, DT Tenn. - we need to think of the future with vince and kelly getting older

4th round - Carlos Hyde, RB Ohio State - can run/catch, quick feet and runs people over like a mack truck

6th round (philly) - Gabe Ikard, C/OG, Oaklahoma - a replacement for connolly

6th round - Colt Lyera, TE, oregon - some off the field issues but a solid TE.  low risk high reward

7th round - marcus Williams, CB, North dakota State

UDFA - Jordan zumwalt OLB, UCLA

• This post has been removed.

My first very early mock draft:

assuming talib is resigned and wendell is allowed to walk, perhaps cut connolly if he refuses to restructure.  I believe we have a good set of young WR's who just need time to get used to playing with brady and they will improve with a years experience.  Perhaps bring in anothe less injury prone vet WR but besides that I think that position is fine.  I think our most glaring weaknesses this seaon were the interior of our lines. injury on the D line and the lack of size on our O-line.  vince and kelly are both amazing linemen but they are going to be 32 and 33 respectively and we need to start thinking about bringing in someone to take their place in the future.    The safety position is an issue but being that BB is not good at drfting that position I say get it in FA, sure we spend a little more to get a solid SS but we are not wasting valueable draft picks over and over.  

1st round - Rashede Hagman, DT Minnesota

2nd round - T. Swanson, C, Arkansas - we need a big center to fight the mammoth DTs we have trouble with

3rd round - Daniel McCullers, DT Tenn. - we need to think of the future with vince and kelly getting older

4th round - Carlos Hyde, RB Ohio State - can run/catch, quick feet and runs people over like a mack truck

6th round (philly) - Gabe Ikard, C/OG, Oaklahoma - a replacement for connolly

6th round - Colt Lyera, TE, oregon - some off the field issues but a solid TE.  low risk high reward

7th round - marcus Williams, CB, North dakota State

UDFA - Jordan zumwalt OLB, UCLA

Love the idea of adding hogs to both sides of the LOS... def hope to see that during draft weekend and is something that I'll be projecting as well... with maybe a few different names.

I see the potential value of Lyerla, but I really want no part of that kid (BB/NC may think differently)... he's shown no ability to think rationally or make good decisions and from what I've read the feedback in recruiting circles is that he was out of his tree in HS and clearly he's only gotten worse.

I like the idea of Zumwalt on Day 3.... also like PSU's Glenn Carson in that range.

• Sections
    Shortcuts