***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to Thomas_Paine's comment:

What do you guys think of BB drafting similar players to what they have already?  

DE Kony Ealy is very similar in size to Chandler Jones

TE Fiedorowicz is also similar in size to Gronk

In your opinion, would it make sense to draft players of like size?  or do you think BB would prefer someone like Tuitt on the other side of the D Line, and maybe an H Back to compliment Gronk.

BB clearly places value on size/length, but it's only part of the equation... a lot also hinges on their ability to run and change direction.

For the comps above, Ealy is very, very similar to Chandler in height and length, he also has long arms and had very good triangle #'s at the combine.  I've been comparing him to Chandler due to his all around skill set for a while.

CJF is another kid with very good size, but also moves well... he doesn't have Gronk's talent/upside, but he's a pretty good prospect that meets a lot of their requirements for the position.

Including top 3 cone numbers at the combine for TE's. BB loves him some 3 cone

You ain't kiddin'... It's the 3C drill, THEN Linda Holliday... in that order.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Using PE's trade scenario here's a mock I personally would be happy with:

1st traded

2nd T - Dequan Jones DT only reason Tuitt is not here is that I don't think he will be there to pick.  Reason I have Jones even as not as a polished guy is IMO he has the power to take on multiple blocks but has quickness to rush inside as well as able to play in multiple fronts.  Even though he's probably a year or two away from reaching potential in a rotation this kid could help year one.    

2nd  - C.J. Fiedorowicz TE think enough has been said

3rd - Telvin Smith OLB/SS although he wants to remain at LB I think one pick helps two areas.  When playing SS assignment which IMO he has very good instints and movement skills to play, he attacks the LOS.  Just a smart kid who's size probably makes him slide into 3rd round (at least I hope).

4th T - Kevin Norwood WR one of my favorite players in this draft, a 25 year old rookie WR.  IMHO, he has the tools to give both Dobson and Thompkins a run for their money.  I think he's way underated, there are negatives like not having eye poping numbers at Alabama but his strengths are what Pats could use in a WR.  Next to Edelman could be TBs next favorite WR target.  lol yeah I might be a little to high on the kid.

4th - Adrian Hubbard OLB/ILB/DE TBD lol This kid is hard to project, has length strength to play DE but has movement (not elite), and experience playing LB at Alabama.  Like Hightower (not as gifted offcourse) this guy could play multiple positions.

4th C - Brent Urban DE/DT I know I will get shot for this, reminds me to a poor man's J.J. Watt.  This is not a finished product, he shows flashes but still mastering his abilities.  If he doesn't get to QB will bat balls down, long arms allows him to keep blockers away from body and shed blocks.  Needs to develop but could be a very good DT/DE with coaching and as another rotation guy this year could help that interior pass rush/3rd down D.

5th T - Anthony Steen OG Solid OG can play both in run game and pass protection, needs to improve against 2nd rush moves.

6th T - Aaron Lynch DE This is a roll of the dice, cbs and other sites compare him to Coples as, very bad effort tape but off the charts physical ability.  Based on physical abilities alone, ignoring for a second his bad effort tape this guy should be a late day 1 early day 2 pick.  He has that speed and power, but add tape and he just doesn't show it.  Under the right system with the right guys in the locker room could be 5 years from now a "how did he make it to the 6th round"

6th - David Fluellen RB Big tough RB who catches the ball extremely well, lateral movement is much better than n/s speed but runs good routes.  Patient between OT runner who chews up yardage.

7th - Casey Pachall QB Story is almost identical to Mallet's.

Not your star filled up mock.  Some players I'm higher than most on, some are a bit of a gamble but HUGE upside/payoff.  For OL, I think Steen can start at RG moving Connolly back to OC.  I like that idea a lot better than Connoly and Wendel.  

LBs IMO important in this draft, there's little depth behind the big 3.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:

1st traded

2nd T - Dequan Jones DT only reason Tuitt is not here is that I don't think he will be there to pick.  Reason I have Jones even as not as a polished guy is IMO he has the power to take on multiple blocks but has quickness to rush inside as well as able to play in multiple fronts.  Even though he's probably a year or two away from reaching potential in a rotation this kid could help year one.    

3rd - Telvin Smith OLB/SS although he wants to remain at LB I think one pick helps two areas.  When playing SS assignment which IMO he has very good instints and movement skills to play, he attacks the LOS.  Just a smart kid who's size probably makes him slide into 3rd round (at least I hope).

4th T - Kevin Norwood WR one of my favorite players in this draft, a 25 year old rookie WR.  IMHO, he has the tools to give both Dobson and Thompkins a run for their money.  I think he's way underated, there are negatives like not having eye poping numbers at Alabama but his strengths are what Pats could use in a WR.  Next to Edelman could be TBs next favorite WR target.  lol yeah I might be a little to high on the kid.

4th - Adrian Hubbard OLB/ILB/DE TBD lol This kid is hard to project, has length strength to play DE but has movement (not elite), and experience playing LB at Alabama.  Like Hightower (not as gifted offcourse) this guy could play multiple positions.

4th C - Brent Urban DE/DT I know I will get shot for this, reminds me to a poor man's J.J. Watt.  This is not a finished product, he shows flashes but still mastering his abilities.  If he doesn't get to QB will bat balls down, long arms allows him to keep blockers away from body and shed blocks.  Needs to develop but could be a very good DT/DE with coaching and as another rotation guy this year could help that interior pass rush/3rd down D.

5th T - Anthony Steen OG Solid OG can play both in run game and pass protection, needs to improve against 2nd rush moves.

6th T - Aaron Lynch DE This is a roll of the dice, cbs and other sites compare him to Coples as, very bad effort tape but off the charts physical ability.  Based on physical abilities alone, ignoring for a second his bad effort tape this guy should be a late day 1 early day 2 pick.  He has that speed and power, but add tape and he just doesn't show it.  Under the right system with the right guys in the locker room could be 5 years from now a "how did he make it to the 6th round"

6th - David Fluellen RB Big tough RB who catches the ball extremely well, lateral movement is much better than n/s speed but runs good routes.  Patient between OT runner who chews up yardage.

Not your star filled up mock.  Some players I'm higher than most on, some are a bit of a gamble but HUGE upside/payoff.  For OL, I think Steen can start at RG moving Connolly back to OC.  I like that idea a lot better than Connoly and Wendel.  

Love it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

1st traded

Maybe a little too early on Jones, but I understand the pick.  I would take this draft right now and run like heck.  Great job.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

1st traded

I'd take it. You know I like Lynch, the only reason I didn't take him is because I think he falls to be a FA after latest off-field issue reports so I went more towards depth. I like D. Jones but it feels like a pick because he's the last decent DT left before the big drop off in talent. If that was the case I'd rather keep the 1st but I think BB sees it differently and would say that was the value at that pick. Not sure you did enough with the OL depth though and not a big fan of Norwood personally (too similar to Dobson) but I'll take him. Urban is not a bad pick and I certainly like the kid but he has a short ceiling and a poor mans Watt he is not. Similar height but that's where the comparisons stop.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

I tried my first 7 rounder yesterday.....it was a b_ll buster to do ...I simplified the process by using the Draft Tek's  "Team Need" chart , which is faily detailed, and their "Big Board" for player rankings. (As a cross check I compared Draft Tek's Big Board against Great Blue Northern's Big Board...there are several differences but are close enough to be accurate).

First, this was my first 7 rounder for all teams..it was an exhausting process....the first two rounds even using a team needs approach, and NOT a "best player available" approach, were pretty similar to what you see in most mock drafts with a few notable exceptions...after the first two rounds all heck broke loose...it's not nearly as easy as you might expect...try it sometime...it's a very humbling experience....

Observations:

Based on cited team needs, there is a dearth of FS , SS and ILB/MLB positions this year

Based on cited team needs, there are plentiful 3/4 OLB, WR positions

Anyways, the Pats picks came out as follows....I tried to make picks that took into account team needs versus available talent given what I know about the Pats from following them for years and given what is discussed on these threads:

ALSO...NO TRADES...THAT MAKES THE EFFORT ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE

1ST RD PICK.... Tuitt/DT-DE/ND

2nd RD PICK.....Jones/DT/Penn State

3rd RD PICK......Fiedorowicz/TE/Iowa

4th RD PICK.....a)Stork/C/Fla. State

b)Starr/OLB/No. Dakota

6th RD PICK.....a)Thomas/QB/Va. Tech

b)Brown/ILB/Louisville

7TH RD PICK     Morris/OLB/Iowa

If I went back I'd probably try to grab more speed at a 4/3 OLB position earlier, possibly an OT later in the draft given the unceratinty of Sea Bass' broken ankle and how severe it was...also, I'd have to seriously consider taking a SS much earlier in order to grab one at all...one thing is for cetain, because of the 90 or so underclassmen declaring for the draft, their will be beaucoup priority FA's this year.....OL , RB's and WR's should be in abundance, as well as kr's.

Let er rip folks!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

I tried my first 7 rounder yesterday.....it was a b_ll buster to do ...I simplified the process by using the Draft Tek's  "Team Need" chart , which is faily detailed, and their "Big Board" for player rankings. (As a cross check I compared Draft Tek's Big Board against Great Blue Northern's Big Board...there are several differences but are close enough to be accurate).

First, this was my first 7 rounder for all teams..it was an exhausting process....the first two rounds even using a team needs approach, and NOT a "best player available" approach, were pretty similar to what you see in most mock drafts with a few notable exceptions...after the first two rounds all heck broke loose...it's not nearly as easy as you might expect...try it sometime...it's a very humbling experience....

Observations:

Based on cited team needs, there is a dearth of FS , SS and ILB/MLB positions this year

Anyways, the Pats picks came out as follows....I tried to make picks that took into account team needs versus available talent given what I know about the Pats from following them for years and given what is discussed on these threads:

b)Starr/OLB/No. Dakota

b)Brown/ILB/Louisville

If I went back I'd probably try to grab more speed at a 4/3 OLB position earlier, possibly an OT later in the draft given the unceratinty of Sea Bass' broken ankle and how severe it was...also, I'd have to seriously consider taking a SS much earlier in order to grab one at all...one thing is for cetain, because of the 90 or so underclassmen declaring for the draft, their will be beaucoup priority FA's this year.....OL , RB's and WR's should be in abundance, as well as kr's.

Let er rip folks!

I'd like to see a pass rusher in there and I hope they snag a WR in this loaded class, but I'd be pretty happy with the haul overall.

Exhaustive is right!  That's a ton of research and effort!  Nice work.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[/QUOTE]

I'd take it. You know I like Lynch, the only reason I didn't take him is because I think he falls to be a FA after latest off-field issue reports so I went more towards depth. I like D. Jones but it feels like a pick because he's the last decent DT left before the big drop off in talent. If that was the case I'd rather keep the 1st but I think BB sees it differently and would say that was the value at that pick. Not sure you did enough with the OL depth though and not a big fan of Norwood personally (too similar to Dobson) but I'll take him. Urban is not a bad pick and I certainly like the kid but he has a short ceiling and a poor mans Watt he is not. Similar height but that's where the comparisons stop.

[/QUOTE]

They even wear the same # lol

Yeah I had a couple of DTs at that spot to choose but they were undersized for what I think they would look towards.  D Jones although might be 10 picks too early say that pick is mid to early 40s, he is the last one of those DT types and does have a high ceiling if he can fix a few things.

And like you, I think Lynch with the right people around him!  Watch out if it clicks.  On the OL, they basically have the starting line back.  Depth is the question but if you have Steen start at ROG Connolly OC then wendell is backup OC and one of the 2nd year guys will earn a spot.  Both have things to like about them at OG.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'm really interested to see what Jarvis Landry's 40 time is at LSU's Pro Day this week.  He ran a 4.77 at the combine, but looks faster than that on tape.  I was very high on him early on after watching his tape, but that 40 time was horrific.

Overally, I really like this kid's game, he's on the shorter side, but is solidly built at 5-11 205 and has big 10/14 inch mits.  He's more sudden than fast, is tough after the catch, solid/clean route runner, is a reliable hands catcher that can pluck on the run, he works the middle of the field and generally gives a solid effort as a blocker... competitive kid.  Reminds me a bit of a smaller Anquan Boldin.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

They even wear the same # lol

Yeah I had a couple of DTs at that spot to choose but they were undersized for what I think they would look towards.  D Jones although might be 10 picks too early say that pick is mid to early 40s, he is the last one of those DT types and does have a high ceiling if he can fix a few things.

And like you, I think Lynch with the right people around him!  Watch out if it clicks.  On the OL, they basically have the starting line back.  Depth is the question but if you have Steen start at ROG Connolly OC then wendell is backup OC and one of the 2nd year guys will earn a spot.  Both have things to like about them at OG.

You don't have to sell me on urban. I have him mocked to the pats as well. Although I had him a round earlier. I would be even more happy using a 4th on him. 

I don't know if he compares to watt well. Few do. But regardless, he has good size and decent athleticism. Yes, he needs plenty of refinement, but I think he could rotate now and serve as an upgrade over both Busty Budreaux, and vellano. 

If we are looking at a s potential starter, I don't think he is the guy, but as a solid rotational player, I like him. i have seen him play inside as a 4-3 DT, and I think he does a nice job getting some push and using his long arms, has active hands. I think he needs to add more sbulk and strength, and improve his technique. If he does, he will be both a good 4-3 DT, and, 3-4 de. I still would like to see bb grab 2 along the DL. Question is where? I don't think bb is going to roll the dice on Kelly and vw staying healthy. Because after them, we don't have any starting material. Just my 2 cents..

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Observations:

b)Starr/OLB/No. Dakota

b)Brown/ILB/Louisville

Let er rip folks!

I'd like to see a pass rusher in there and I hope they snag a WR in this loaded class, but I'd be pretty happy with the haul overall.

Same here...what's the drop off at DT after round 2? It doesn't seem as deep as wr for example this year. My vote is to grab a pass rushing de/olb with our 1 st pick. Ealy is my first option followed by Attaochu. What I like about Attaochu is his versatility When compared to Ealy. I honestly think Attaochu can plat olb/ILB in both 3 or 4, and de in a 4. I like that combo because we need depth at lb as well and we could address both with 1 pick. Conversly, Ealy address both de and DT in a 4 man line. This is why I am asking about DT depth...it would impact which direction I go with the 2.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Observations:

b)Starr/OLB/No. Dakota

b)Brown/ILB/Louisville

Let er rip folks!

Same here...what's the drop off at DT after round 2? It doesn't seem as deep as wr for example this year. My vote is to grab a pass rushing de/olb with our 1 st pick. Ealy is my first option followed by Attaochu. What I like about Attaochu is his versatility When compared to Ealy. I honestly think Attaochu can plat olb/ILB in both 3 or 4, and de in a 4. I like that combo because we need depth at lb as well and we could address both with 1 pick. Conversly, Ealy address both de and DT in a 4 man line. This is why I am asking about DT depth...it would impact which direction I go with the 2.

I too have Ealy followed by Attaochu at the top of my board.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

1st traded

2nd T - Dequan Jones DT    

2nd  - C.J. Fiedorowicz TE

3rd - Telvin Smith OLB/SS

4th T - Kevin Norwood WR

4th - Adrian Hubbard OLB/ILB/DE TBD lol

4th C - Brent Urban DE/DT I know

5th T - Anthony Steen OG

6th T - Aaron Lynch DE

6th - David Fluellen RB

7th - Casey Pachall QB

I like this a lot. I ldefinitely like the double dip on DT. I believe they need a potential starter in the draft. I speculate that Siliga and Kelly will be the main DTs. VW's come back is at risk. I think they need to take one between Jones, Vellano and Armstead. The fifth DT spot wil come from the draft.

Norwood would be a great pickup. He's not a sexy pick, I think he will be available in the later end of the fourth or even in the fifth. No need to pick him up early in the fourth.

I's prefer they take two OLs in the fourth and fifth. If they had to take only one OL, I'd prefer they take a C -- Stork. He would probably have to be taken in the fourth - the Hubbard pick.

The last thing is the QB. I actually spent some time following Pachall's progress when he came back. I have my doubts. He is not the same QB, mentally. He lost a lot of confidence. I don't know if he will everrecoever that in the NFL.

The QB I like is Savage. I thought he was the best decision-maker that range. He has good arm strength and very good accuracy. I am not sure if he is mobile.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I tried my first 7 rounder yesterday.....it was a b_ll buster ...

First, this was my first 7 rounder for all teams..it was an exhausting process......

SMH. Why would you do that? When did it start becoming a chore? After second round? You are insane.

I hope you had fun.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Can one of you guys clarify things for me? Did Brady get sacked more times last year than any season since 2001? If this is true (along with completion % lower than usual) then the Pats brass really has to look at the O Line; I am thinking something from round 4 on....definitely day two/three pick ;OG with Center ability or experience would be ideal; I like Hageman and Telvin Smith picks for some mocks, however, if Kelvin Benjamin is there do you pick him. As previously stated I could also see a situation where one of the top 5 QBs falls and the Pats 1st becomes a marketable pick to shop.

Part of the completion % drop is due to the absence of Gronk and Amendola for extended periods of time and some could be due the inconsistantcy and injuries of Thompkins and Dobson. Rookie WRs and too many injuries in WR corps.

I really appreciate all the work MB, PatsENg, Wazzu Melle Mel (and the Furious Five)and others are putting into this. And I know some have OG and C in their mocks.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

Can one of you guys clarify things for me? Did Brady get sacked more times last year than any season since 2001? If this is true (along with completion % lower than usual) then the Pats brass really has to look at the O Line; I am thinking something from round 4 on....definitely day two/three pick ;OG with Center ability or experience would be ideal; I like Hageman and Telvin Smith picks for some mocks, however, if Kelvin Benjamin is there do you pick him. As previously stated I could also see a situation where one of the top 5 QBs falls and the Pats 1st becomes a marketable pick to shop.

Part of the completion % drop is due to the absence of Gronk and Amendola for extended periods of time and some could be due the inconsistantcy and injuries of Thompkins and Dobson. Rookie WRs and too many injuries in WR corps.

I really appreciate all the work MB, PatsENg, Wazzu Melle Mel (and the Furious Five)and others are putting into this. And I know some have OG and C in their mocks.

That stat appears to be correct... (40) is the most since 2001 (41).  To that point, yes I think most are pushing for some added talent/depth up front... it'll also be nice to have Seabass back.

Benjamin is on my Rd 1 shortlist, so I'd love to see him end up in Foxboro.

Yeah, injuries and an influx of rookie WR's certainly was a factor is his decreased comp % and YPA.

Happy to contribute!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Well, we have looked at this draft from a lot of different angles, and explored a ton of different scenarios.  From what I have seen, I'm fairly certain that I will like our draft a lot better if BB manages to trade back from #29 into the Early/Mid 2nd, while picking up another pick or 2.  I think we need that extra ammo in the 3/4/5th rounds, and I don't think that there will likely be much drop-off from #29 to say mid 40's.  I hope BB pulls off a trade like that, but I have my doubts this year.  I think teams will be pretty stingy with their picks since there is so much depth this year.  I bet we end up making a pick at 29.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

In response to APpats22's comment:

I don't feel like BB thinks DL is as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be. I personally think it's not a big problem. I'd put the need for TE, OL, and LB over DL in that order. I can see just 1 DL drafted and a double dip at OL. I can see just 1 TE too in the draft and then BB outbiding someone for a top UDFA TE.

Out of curiousity why?

Both Nink and Jones had to play 95+% of the snaps last season. You can't keep on running them out like that. They get burnt out by the end of the season (as we saw) and you are greatly shortening their playing careers and increasing their chances of injury. It's hard to believe Buchanan or Bequette is the answer to this considering the Pats were forced to go out and bring in Carter who should be home watching the games in a recliner.

For DT, Wilfork and Kelly are both getting older and coming off injury. Chances are that both won't be 100% so you aren't sure what you will get from either at this point. Even still you need to start adjusting their snaps and limiting how much you use both. We saw without both the DL fell apart. We went from one of the better run D teams in the league and one of the better teams that generated pressure (mind you small sample set) to the 2nd worst run D and a below average team to get pressure. It was such a drastic drop off BB traded for Soap and when that failed pulled in Siliga (a player on his 4th team coming from 2 teams with better DLs then ours). Who Siliga immediately got playing time because it was clear once teams got film on Jones and Vellano they were washed out. Then in the playoffs Siliga was a none factor because one of his former teams (Den) knew how to wash him out. That means it's only a matter of time before other teams drop in that tape and see exactly what Den did.

I just look at this DL and see it's rice paper in a rain storm thin at the ends and the middle is essentially tissue paper you hope two previous injures can come back and be effect.

I guess I'm optimistic really. I agree that Jones and Nink shouldn't play that many snaps but I'm high on Buchanan and I think he makes the jump this year. As well I think that this position is more likely to get another addition, draft or FA. Call it a hunch but I bet if Armstead actually makes the team and plays, he'll get snaps on the outside in relief of Jones or Nink.

As for DT, I like the idea of having 6 guys to rotate. I don't think Vince or Kelly should play huge snaps, they would be better to keep fresh. I don't see a problem with Vince, Kelly, Armstead, Jones, Siliga, and Vellano. Obviously 1 won't make it prob Vellano but what's to worry about this? I think that Jones and Vellano both ran out of gas. The were used a lot more than usual for a 6th rounder and UDFA and of course hit the rookie wall. I'm still high on those too. Siliga not as much but you never know. I can see Jones developing into a starter and Vellano into a Mike Wright/Jarvis Green kind of player. Not a guy who is going to start all the time but is a pretty good role player.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I don't feel like BB thinks DL is as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be. I personally think it's not a big problem. I'd put the need for TE, OL, and LB over DL in that order. I can see just 1 DL drafted and a double dip at OL. I can see just 1 TE too in the draft and then BB outbiding someone for a top UDFA TE.

Out of curiousity why?

Both Nink and Jones had to play 95+% of the snaps last season. You can't keep on running them out like that. They get burnt out by the end of the season (as we saw) and you are greatly shortening their playing careers and increasing their chances of injury. It's hard to believe Buchanan or Bequette is the answer to this considering the Pats were forced to go out and bring in Carter who should be home watching the games in a recliner.

For DT, Wilfork and Kelly are both getting older and coming off injury. Chances are that both won't be 100% so you aren't sure what you will get from either at this point. Even still you need to start adjusting their snaps and limiting how much you use both. We saw without both the DL fell apart. We went from one of the better run D teams in the league and one of the better teams that generated pressure (mind you small sample set) to the 2nd worst run D and a below average team to get pressure. It was such a drastic drop off BB traded for Soap and when that failed pulled in Siliga (a player on his 4th team coming from 2 teams with better DLs then ours). Who Siliga immediately got playing time because it was clear once teams got film on Jones and Vellano they were washed out. Then in the playoffs Siliga was a none factor because one of his former teams (Den) knew how to wash him out. That means it's only a matter of time before other teams drop in that tape and see exactly what Den did.

I just look at this DL and see it's rice paper in a rain storm thin at the ends and the middle is essentially tissue paper you hope two previous injures can come back and be effect.

I'm with you on Buch

I guess I'm optimistic really. I agree that Jones and Nink shouldn't play that many snaps but I'm high on Buchanan and I think he makes the jump this year. As well I think that this position is more likely to get another addition, draft or FA. Call it a hunch but I bet if Armstead actually makes the team and plays, he'll get snaps on the outside in relief of Jones or Nink.

As for DT, I like the idea of having 6 guys to rotate. I don't think Vince or Kelly should play huge snaps, they would be better to keep fresh. I don't see a problem with Vince, Kelly, Armstead, Jones, Siliga, and Vellano. Obviously 1 won't make it prob Vellano but what's to worry about this? I think that Jones and Vellano both ran out of gas. The were used a lot more than usual for a 6th rounder and UDFA and of course hit the rookie wall. I'm still high on those too. Siliga not as much but you never know. I can see Jones developing into a starter and Vellano into a Mike Wright/Jarvis Green kind of player. Not a guy who is going to start all the time but is a pretty good role player.

I'm with you on Buchannan, I think he makes that jump.  He's a talented player but like you said I still think there's need to add depth.  It might be the lack of depth at LB even when they had Spikes it was still a light group after the starters but I like to see what Hightower can do off the edge.  6'4" 270 with quick first step, he's played snaps at DE before could be interesting to see even do a "nascar package" with him inside?! maybe? lol 

I do think LB as I said before is a position that needs depth in a bad way.  Reason I gave two completely different style players in last mock but both bring very good skills for sub packages.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

I tried my first 7 rounder yesterday.....it was a b_ll buster ...

First, this was my first 7 rounder for all teams..it was an exhausting process......

SMH. Why would you do that? When did it start becoming a chore? After second round? You are insane.

I hope you had fun.

Heck yeah it was fun...and you really learn what's out there when you compare different draft sources and their read out on players and team needs....makes you think...just trying to be a good as possible can make your head spin whenh you have all the information...I know the talent available now far more than I did before trying the 7 rounder...it's one thing to read sorces say "this draft is deep in wr's", for example....once you go through the lists and bio's, and once you see what teams really need, you get a far better sense of perspective than by just spit balling it...

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

Today Riess, on ESPN.com/Boston, wrote that Mel Kiper feels there will be a run on OL when the dam breaks somewhere after the 2nd round....the normal array of great OT's will go in the 1st the way they usually do, and some teams will reach, like Miami, because they have to rebuild their entire O line...that being said, there are NOT many good center's but there are "acceptable" centers available in almost every round of the draft after the 1st RD., real centers, not guards who are being made into centers...there are also several who have played both guard and center during their college careers who should be available after the 3rd round.

There are several OT, mostly ROT's, after the 2nd round...Guards, truly athletic guards, are NOT plentiful after the 3rd round...that's why I think there will be a run on decent guards once they start being chosen, probably 3rd and 4th rounds, IMO...yes there will be guards, but you won't have to use 4th or 5th round picks unless you really like them or see something special in them...otherwise I think you'll see most "acceptable" OG's picked in 5, 6 or 7, and there will be many "priority FA" OG's and OT's signed that could be as good as those drafted from Rd. 6 and 7

This just in from NFL Network:

Brandon Thomas, G from Clemson, Mayocks #3 rated OG, out with ACL just 5 weeks from the draft...hurt during a workout...

In my 7 rounder I had him  going to Miami with their 2nd RD. pick.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

I don't think Miami will be drafting Thomas now. I wonder who the Patriots will bring in for visits but not much information on the Patriots.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

This just in from NFL Network:

Brandon Thomas, G from Clemson, Mayocks #3 rated OG, out with ACL just 5 weeks from the draft...hurt during a workout...

In my 7 rounder I had him  going to Miami with their 2nd RD. pick.

Nice player to pick up in a late round and red shirt for a year. OT Hurst from NC is another to do the same.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I can understand the optimism on Buchanan but even then that's 1 guy you need at least 1 more. If you are counting on Armstead as that guy then I'm not sure you can count on him at the DT position as he would have his hands full at DE.

I can't understand the part I bolded. What does it matter where they were taken? Does a 7th round pick has a different college program and workout than 1st round picks? All rooks should be in the same boat and there shouldn't be a difference in stamina depending on where you get picked. Not to mention they both started getting washed out 3-4 weeks after both Kelly and Wilfork went down. If they ran out of gas that quick we are in trouble. It more likely a case that teams didn't have video on them and after a couple games they picked up tendencies and began to wash them out. It's something each can work on but it's also the reason they went UDFA to begin with. I don't think it's a matter of running out of gas after a 1/4 of the season as much as it is they just don't have the talent or ability to get you good number of snaps. Same as it was with Brace, Deadrick, and Love.

• Sections
    Shortcuts