***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can one of you guys clarify things for me? Did Brady get sacked more times last year than any season since 2001? If this is true (along with completion % lower than usual) then the Pats brass really has to look at the O Line; I am thinking something from round 4 on....definitely day two/three pick ;OG with Center ability or experience would be ideal; I like Hageman and Telvin Smith picks for some mocks, however, if Kelvin Benjamin is there do you pick him. As previously stated I could also see a situation where one of the top 5 QBs falls and the Pats 1st becomes a marketable pick to shop.

Part of the completion % drop is due to the absence of Gronk and Amendola for extended periods of time and some could be due the inconsistantcy and injuries of Thompkins and Dobson. Rookie WRs and too many injuries in WR corps.

I really appreciate all the work MB, PatsENg, Wazzu Melle Mel (and the Furious Five)and others are putting into this. And I know some have OG and C in their mocks.

[/QUOTE]

That stat appears to be correct... (40) is the most since 2001 (41).  To that point, yes I think most are pushing for some added talent/depth up front... it'll also be nice to have Seabass back.

Benjamin is on my Rd 1 shortlist, so I'd love to see him end up in Foxboro.

Yeah, injuries and an influx of rookie WR's certainly was a factor is his decreased comp % and YPA.

Happy to contribute!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Well, we have looked at this draft from a lot of different angles, and explored a ton of different scenarios.  From what I have seen, I'm fairly certain that I will like our draft a lot better if BB manages to trade back from #29 into the Early/Mid 2nd, while picking up another pick or 2.  I think we need that extra ammo in the 3/4/5th rounds, and I don't think that there will likely be much drop-off from #29 to say mid 40's.  I hope BB pulls off a trade like that, but I have my doubts this year.  I think teams will be pretty stingy with their picks since there is so much depth this year.  I bet we end up making a pick at 29.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to APpats22's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't feel like BB thinks DL is as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be. I personally think it's not a big problem. I'd put the need for TE, OL, and LB over DL in that order. I can see just 1 DL drafted and a double dip at OL. I can see just 1 TE too in the draft and then BB outbiding someone for a top UDFA TE.

[/QUOTE]

Out of curiousity why?

Both Nink and Jones had to play 95+% of the snaps last season. You can't keep on running them out like that. They get burnt out by the end of the season (as we saw) and you are greatly shortening their playing careers and increasing their chances of injury. It's hard to believe Buchanan or Bequette is the answer to this considering the Pats were forced to go out and bring in Carter who should be home watching the games in a recliner.

For DT, Wilfork and Kelly are both getting older and coming off injury. Chances are that both won't be 100% so you aren't sure what you will get from either at this point. Even still you need to start adjusting their snaps and limiting how much you use both. We saw without both the DL fell apart. We went from one of the better run D teams in the league and one of the better teams that generated pressure (mind you small sample set) to the 2nd worst run D and a below average team to get pressure. It was such a drastic drop off BB traded for Soap and when that failed pulled in Siliga (a player on his 4th team coming from 2 teams with better DLs then ours). Who Siliga immediately got playing time because it was clear once teams got film on Jones and Vellano they were washed out. Then in the playoffs Siliga was a none factor because one of his former teams (Den) knew how to wash him out. That means it's only a matter of time before other teams drop in that tape and see exactly what Den did.

I just look at this DL and see it's rice paper in a rain storm thin at the ends and the middle is essentially tissue paper you hope two previous injures can come back and be effect.

[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm optimistic really. I agree that Jones and Nink shouldn't play that many snaps but I'm high on Buchanan and I think he makes the jump this year. As well I think that this position is more likely to get another addition, draft or FA. Call it a hunch but I bet if Armstead actually makes the team and plays, he'll get snaps on the outside in relief of Jones or Nink.

As for DT, I like the idea of having 6 guys to rotate. I don't think Vince or Kelly should play huge snaps, they would be better to keep fresh. I don't see a problem with Vince, Kelly, Armstead, Jones, Siliga, and Vellano. Obviously 1 won't make it prob Vellano but what's to worry about this? I think that Jones and Vellano both ran out of gas. The were used a lot more than usual for a 6th rounder and UDFA and of course hit the rookie wall. I'm still high on those too. Siliga not as much but you never know. I can see Jones developing into a starter and Vellano into a Mike Wright/Jarvis Green kind of player. Not a guy who is going to start all the time but is a pretty good role player.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I don't feel like BB thinks DL is as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be. I personally think it's not a big problem. I'd put the need for TE, OL, and LB over DL in that order. I can see just 1 DL drafted and a double dip at OL. I can see just 1 TE too in the draft and then BB outbiding someone for a top UDFA TE.

[/QUOTE]

Out of curiousity why?

Both Nink and Jones had to play 95+% of the snaps last season. You can't keep on running them out like that. They get burnt out by the end of the season (as we saw) and you are greatly shortening their playing careers and increasing their chances of injury. It's hard to believe Buchanan or Bequette is the answer to this considering the Pats were forced to go out and bring in Carter who should be home watching the games in a recliner.

For DT, Wilfork and Kelly are both getting older and coming off injury. Chances are that both won't be 100% so you aren't sure what you will get from either at this point. Even still you need to start adjusting their snaps and limiting how much you use both. We saw without both the DL fell apart. We went from one of the better run D teams in the league and one of the better teams that generated pressure (mind you small sample set) to the 2nd worst run D and a below average team to get pressure. It was such a drastic drop off BB traded for Soap and when that failed pulled in Siliga (a player on his 4th team coming from 2 teams with better DLs then ours). Who Siliga immediately got playing time because it was clear once teams got film on Jones and Vellano they were washed out. Then in the playoffs Siliga was a none factor because one of his former teams (Den) knew how to wash him out. That means it's only a matter of time before other teams drop in that tape and see exactly what Den did.

I just look at this DL and see it's rice paper in a rain storm thin at the ends and the middle is essentially tissue paper you hope two previous injures can come back and be effect.

[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on Buch

I guess I'm optimistic really. I agree that Jones and Nink shouldn't play that many snaps but I'm high on Buchanan and I think he makes the jump this year. As well I think that this position is more likely to get another addition, draft or FA. Call it a hunch but I bet if Armstead actually makes the team and plays, he'll get snaps on the outside in relief of Jones or Nink.

As for DT, I like the idea of having 6 guys to rotate. I don't think Vince or Kelly should play huge snaps, they would be better to keep fresh. I don't see a problem with Vince, Kelly, Armstead, Jones, Siliga, and Vellano. Obviously 1 won't make it prob Vellano but what's to worry about this? I think that Jones and Vellano both ran out of gas. The were used a lot more than usual for a 6th rounder and UDFA and of course hit the rookie wall. I'm still high on those too. Siliga not as much but you never know. I can see Jones developing into a starter and Vellano into a Mike Wright/Jarvis Green kind of player. Not a guy who is going to start all the time but is a pretty good role player.

[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on Buchannan, I think he makes that jump.  He's a talented player but like you said I still think there's need to add depth.  It might be the lack of depth at LB even when they had Spikes it was still a light group after the starters but I like to see what Hightower can do off the edge.  6'4" 270 with quick first step, he's played snaps at DE before could be interesting to see even do a "nascar package" with him inside?! maybe? lol 

I do think LB as I said before is a position that needs depth in a bad way.  Reason I gave two completely different style players in last mock but both bring very good skills for sub packages.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I tried my first 7 rounder yesterday.....it was a b_ll buster ...

First, this was my first 7 rounder for all teams..it was an exhausting process......

[/QUOTE]

SMH. Why would you do that? When did it start becoming a chore? After second round? You are insane.

I hope you had fun.

[/QUOTE]

Heck yeah it was fun...and you really learn what's out there when you compare different draft sources and their read out on players and team needs....makes you think...just trying to be a good as possible can make your head spin whenh you have all the information...I know the talent available now far more than I did before trying the 7 rounder...it's one thing to read sorces say "this draft is deep in wr's", for example....once you go through the lists and bio's, and once you see what teams really need, you get a far better sense of perspective than by just spit balling it...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can one of you guys clarify things for me? Did Brady get sacked more times last year than any season since 2001? If this is true (along with completion % lower than usual) then the Pats brass really has to look at the O Line; I am thinking something from round 4 on....definitely day two/three pick ;OG with Center ability or experience would be ideal; I like Hageman and Telvin Smith picks for some mocks, however, if Kelvin Benjamin is there do you pick him. As previously stated I could also see a situation where one of the top 5 QBs falls and the Pats 1st becomes a marketable pick to shop.

Part of the completion % drop is due to the absence of Gronk and Amendola for extended periods of time and some could be due the inconsistantcy and injuries of Thompkins and Dobson. Rookie WRs and too many injuries in WR corps.

I really appreciate all the work MB, PatsENg, Wazzu Melle Mel (and the Furious Five)and others are putting into this. And I know some have OG and C in their mocks.

[/QUOTE]

Today Riess, on ESPN.com/Boston, wrote that Mel Kiper feels there will be a run on OL when the dam breaks somewhere after the 2nd round....the normal array of great OT's will go in the 1st the way they usually do, and some teams will reach, like Miami, because they have to rebuild their entire O line...that being said, there are NOT many good center's but there are "acceptable" centers available in almost every round of the draft after the 1st RD., real centers, not guards who are being made into centers...there are also several who have played both guard and center during their college careers who should be available after the 3rd round.

There are several OT, mostly ROT's, after the 2nd round...Guards, truly athletic guards, are NOT plentiful after the 3rd round...that's why I think there will be a run on decent guards once they start being chosen, probably 3rd and 4th rounds, IMO...yes there will be guards, but you won't have to use 4th or 5th round picks unless you really like them or see something special in them...otherwise I think you'll see most "acceptable" OG's picked in 5, 6 or 7, and there will be many "priority FA" OG's and OT's signed that could be as good as those drafted from Rd. 6 and 7

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

This just in from NFL Network:

Brandon Thomas, G from Clemson, Mayocks #3 rated OG, out with ACL just 5 weeks from the draft...hurt during a workout...

In my 7 rounder I had him  going to Miami with their 2nd RD. pick.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

I don't think Miami will be drafting Thomas now. I wonder who the Patriots will bring in for visits but not much information on the Patriots.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

Brandon Thomas, G from Clemson, Mayocks #3 rated OG, out with ACL just 5 weeks from the draft...hurt during a workout...

[/QUOTE]

Nice player to pick up in a late round and red shirt for a year. OT Hurst from NC is another to do the same.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can understand the optimism on Buchanan but even then that's 1 guy you need at least 1 more. If you are counting on Armstead as that guy then I'm not sure you can count on him at the DT position as he would have his hands full at DE.

I can't understand the part I bolded. What does it matter where they were taken? Does a 7th round pick has a different college program and workout than 1st round picks? All rooks should be in the same boat and there shouldn't be a difference in stamina depending on where you get picked. Not to mention they both started getting washed out 3-4 weeks after both Kelly and Wilfork went down. If they ran out of gas that quick we are in trouble. It more likely a case that teams didn't have video on them and after a couple games they picked up tendencies and began to wash them out. It's something each can work on but it's also the reason they went UDFA to begin with. I don't think it's a matter of running out of gas after a 1/4 of the season as much as it is they just don't have the talent or ability to get you good number of snaps. Same as it was with Brace, Deadrick, and Love.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Hey fellas.  I saw where NE was in Provo yesterday working out Van Noy.  Since those Mountain West games are always on in the evenings out West here, I actually saw him play quite a bit.  He had some outstanding games.  Very disruptive and some of the best instincts I've seen.  Also saw him block a few kicks.  I know his competition wasn't the best, but he looked like a very good prospect to me.  Good size for an OLB.  I haven't seen a ton of chatter about him on this board, but what would you guys think about BB taking him?  I think 29 is a little too early for him, but he may not last until 62.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey fellas.  I saw where NE was in Provo yesterday working out Van Noy.  Since those Mountain West games are always on in the evenings out West here, I actually saw him play quite a bit.  He had some outstanding games.  Very disruptive and some of the best instincts I've seen.  Also saw him block a few kicks.  I know his competition wasn't the best, but he looked like a very good prospect to me.  Good size for an OLB.  I haven't seen a ton of chatter about him on this board, but what would you guys think about BB taking him?  I think 29 is a little too early for him, but he may not last until 62.

[/QUOTE]

I could see him lasting to 62 and I wouldn't take him before that. We already have a lot tied into the LB position and adding a 4th would be nice but not at the potential expense of adding at another position of need such as DT or TE. If they trade back the 1st and somehow get a mid 2nd and mid 3rd out of it and can get a DL and DE and still pick up Van Noy in the late 2nd then great all for it but I wouldn't want him over one of the top 5 DT's or top 4 TE's

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I could see him lasting to 62 and I wouldn't take him before that. We already have a lot tied into the LB position and adding a 4th would be nice but not at the potential expense of adding at another position of need such as DT or TE. If they trade back the 1st and somehow get a mid 2nd and mid 3rd out of it and can get a DL and DE and still pick up Van Noy in the late 2nd then great all for it but I wouldn't want him over one of the top 5 DT's or top 4 TE's

[/QUOTE]

my thoughts exactly.  As I said yesterday, I think I will like out draft a lot better if BB can trade back from 29 into the mid 2nd.  Kind of doubt it will happen, though.  I think teams will be very reluctant to part with those 3/4/5th rounders this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

my thoughts exactly.  As I said yesterday, I think I will like out draft a lot better if BB can trade back from 29 into the mid 2nd.  Kind of doubt it will happen, though.  I think teams will be very reluctant to part with those 3/4/5th rounders this year.

[/QUOTE]

I'm just hoping he doesn't trade the 1st for a future 1st and a low 3rd. That would kill me to kill another one of Brady's years just to push it forward

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think Miami will be drafting Thomas now. I wonder who the Patriots will bring in for visits but not much information on the Patriots.

[/QUOTE]

posted this a couple pages back but a good site that keeps track of who they are looking at

For those interested in who the Pats have had contract with nepatriotsdraft.com keeps a very good running list:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014-patriots-draft-contacts

Some names we've discussed are found on the list. Not going to mention combine interviews as there are tons but generally here are some interesting names the Pats have taken longer looks at:

• Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State (PW)
    • Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State (PW)
    • Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina (PW)
    • Mike Evans, WR Texas A&M (PW)
    • C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa (CI, OV)
    • Trey Hopkins, OG, Texas (PW)
    • Kelcy Quarles, DT, South Carolina (PW)
    • Stephon Tuitt, DL, Notre Dame (OV)
    • Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, Georgia Tech (OV)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm just hoping he doesn't trade the 1st for a future 1st and a low 3rd. That would kill me to kill another one of Brady's years just to push it forward

[/QUOTE]

Agree.  If he pulls off a trade, I hope it is for 2014 picks

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Nice player to pick up in a late round and red shirt for a year. OT Hurst from NC is another to do the same.

Once I heard the announcement I thought the same thing...using a late round choice wouldn't hurt especially if the report on him  from the Docs are good...even complete knee reconstructions today are sometimes pretty easy to come back from with the right surgery and therapy...it's amazing what they can do and what they've learned about such surgery and recovery now...back in the mid 70's if you had to have a complete reconstructuion you were pretty much done...even just a simple miniscus tear was career threatening...now, you're walking around in a week, back in 4-6. It puts into perspective how hard Gayle Sayers had to work to come back from his knee injury and play as well as he did.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's rated in the mid to late 30's on many big boards by draft sites....so it would not be any kind of reach for them to look at him at 62 if he's available...depends on how many 3/4 OLB's go before him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Question for everyone... if you can take just (1) WR outside of Rd 1 ("value" should not be considered), which would you take and why?

The below prospects should be considered NOT available:

Watkins

Evans

Beckham

Cooks

Lee

Benjamin

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Once I heard the announcement I thought the same thing...using a late round choice wouldn't hurt especially if the report on him  from the Docs are good...even complete knee reconstructions today are sometimes pretty easy to come back from with the right surgery and therapy...it's amazing what they can do and what they've learned about such surgery and recovery now...back in the mid 70's if you have to have a complete reconstructuion you were pretty much done...even just a simple miniscus tear was career threatening...now, you're walking around in a week, back in 4-6. It puts into perspective how hard Gayle Sayers had to work to come back from his knee injury and play as well as he did.

[/QUOTE]

In regards to interior OL, I remain very interested in PSU's John Urschel.  Not only is he potentially the smartest player in the draft, but he's a seasoned, durable kid that moves well and brings some versatility.  The B.O. connection is also a huge plus... and he can be had on Day 3.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

If it was simply for the Pats, I'd say Evans...because he's so tall, so wide, and so fast for his size, can run many routes, and most of all, can catch the ball where ever it's thrown...his height makes him a tremedous rede zone/end zone target...experience in big games, knows how to adjust to a QB out of the pocket...can also run routes across the middle because of his size and strength.

#2 would have to be Watkins...fast, can catch, runs great routes, has a second gear, fast enough to get behind defenders, especially with his moves.....I don't think there's very much to pick between the 2, actually...Watkins more able to take the top of a defense, Evans an incredible target that MUST draw two defenders because of his size/speed combination...

Evans, on the Pats, makes the oppossing D make more mistakes and results in more opportunities for other players on offense than does Watkins, IMO

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Once I heard the announcement I thought the same thing...using a late round choice wouldn't hurt especially if the report on him  from the Docs are good...even complete knee reconstructions today are sometimes pretty easy to come back from with the right surgery and therapy...it's amazing what they can do and what they've learned about such surgery and recovery now...back in the mid 70's if you have to have a complete reconstructuion you were pretty much done...even just a simple miniscus tear was career threatening...now, you're walking around in a week, back in 4-6. It puts into perspective how hard Gayle Sayers had to work to come back from his knee injury and play as well as he did.

[/QUOTE]

In regards to interior OL, I remain very interested in PSU's John Urschel.  Not only is he potentially the smartest player in the draft, but he's a seasoned, durable kid that moves well and brings some versatility.  The B.O. connection is also a huge plus... and he can be had on Day 3.

[/QUOTE]

Because of a dearth of top flight OG's in this draft, and some teams really needing reconstructed OL's, especially Miami, he could go in day 2....if it's day 3 it will be early...and yes, he's probably THE smartest guy in the draft 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

If it was simply for the Pats, I'd say Evans...because he's so tall, so wide, and so fast for his size, can run many routes, and most of all, can catch the ball where ever it's thrown...his height makes him a tremedous rede zone/end zone target...experience in big games, knows how to adjust to a QB out of the pocket...can also run routes across the middle because of his size and strength.

#2 would have to be Watkins...fast, can catch, runs great routes, has a second gear, fast enough to get behind defenders, especially with his moves.....I don't think there's very much to pick between the 2, actually...Watkins more able to take the top of a defense, Evans an incredible target that MUST draw two defenders because of his size/speed combination...

Evans, on the Pats, makes the oppossing D make more mistakes and results in more opportunities for other players on offense than does Watkins, IMO

Thanks, but the question was for WR's after Rd 1.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but the question was for WR's after Rd 1.

[/QUOTE]

OPPS...lol..sorry, my bad....

A few do exist for rounds 2-3

*Robinson, Penn St.

*Richardson, Colorado

*Adams, Fresno St.

*Matthews, Vandy

*Landry, LSU

*Moncrief, Ole Miss.

*Bryant, Clemson

*Abbredaris, Wisconsin

*Archer, Kent St.

*Coleman, Rutgers

*Ellington, So. Carolina

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

If NE drafted a WR after the 1st Round, Ellington is the guy I would love to see them get.  Maybe the most athletic player in the draft.  Kid is tough and makes big catches.  I'd love him in the 3rd or 4th.