1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If it was simply for the Pats, I'd say Evans...because he's so tall, so wide, and so fast for his size, can run many routes, and most of all, can catch the ball where ever it's thrown...his height makes him a tremedous rede zone/end zone target...experience in big games, knows how to adjust to a QB out of the pocket...can also run routes across the middle because of his size and strength.

#2 would have to be Watkins...fast, can catch, runs great routes, has a second gear, fast enough to get behind defenders, especially with his moves.....I don't think there's very much to pick between the 2, actually...Watkins more able to take the top of a defense, Evans an incredible target that MUST draw two defenders because of his size/speed combination...

Evans, on the Pats, makes the oppossing D make more mistakes and results in more opportunities for other players on offense than does Watkins, IMO

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but the question was for WR's after Rd 1.

[/QUOTE]

OPPS...lol..sorry, my bad....

A few do exist for rounds 2-3

*Robinson, Penn St.

*Richardson, Colorado

*Adams, Fresno St.

*Matthews, Vandy

*Landry, LSU

*Moncrief, Ole Miss.

*Bryant, Clemson

*Abbredaris, Wisconsin

*Archer, Kent St.

*Coleman, Rutgers

*Ellington, So. Carolina

[/QUOTE]

Haha, no prob... of that group, which would you most want to see in a Patriots uni?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If NE drafted a WR after the 1st Round, Ellington is the guy I would love to see them get.  Maybe the most athletic player in the draft.  Kid is tough and makes big catches.  I'd love him in the 3rd or 4th.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he's def on my short list... love his game/skill set.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If it was simply for the Pats, I'd say Evans...because he's so tall, so wide, and so fast for his size, can run many routes, and most of all, can catch the ball where ever it's thrown...his height makes him a tremedous rede zone/end zone target...experience in big games, knows how to adjust to a QB out of the pocket...can also run routes across the middle because of his size and strength.

#2 would have to be Watkins...fast, can catch, runs great routes, has a second gear, fast enough to get behind defenders, especially with his moves.....I don't think there's very much to pick between the 2, actually...Watkins more able to take the top of a defense, Evans an incredible target that MUST draw two defenders because of his size/speed combination...

Evans, on the Pats, makes the oppossing D make more mistakes and results in more opportunities for other players on offense than does Watkins, IMO

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

*Robinson, Penn St.

*Richardson, Colorado

*Adams, Fresno St.

*Matthews, Vandy

*Landry, LSU

*Moncrief, Ole Miss.

*Bryant, Clemson

*Abbredaris, Wisconsin

*Archer, Kent St.

*Coleman, Rutgers

*Ellington, So. Carolina

[/QUOTE]

Haha, no prob... of that group, which would you most want to see in a Patriots uni?

[/QUOTE]

I like Matthews...good size, good hands, 4.42 speed,  a senior so he's more mature than most and Vandy means he's smart...he should be able to get BB's offense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

*Robinson, Penn St.

*Richardson, Colorado

*Adams, Fresno St.

*Matthews, Vandy

*Landry, LSU

*Moncrief, Ole Miss.

*Bryant, Clemson

*Abbredaris, Wisconsin

*Archer, Kent St.

*Coleman, Rutgers

*Ellington, So. Carolina

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like Matthews...good size, good hands, 4.42 speed,  a senior so he's more mature than most and Vandy means he's smart...he should be able to get BB's offense.

[/QUOTE]

Agree if we don't get Benjamin first round I like Matthews also, he reminds me of a more mature Vincent Jackson. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Jordan Mathews - Vandy

[QUOTE]

Question for everyone... if you can take just (1) WR outside of Rd 1 ("value" should not be considered), which would you take and why?

The below prospects should be considered NOT available:

Watkins

Evans

Beckham

Cooks

Lee

Benjamin

[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

I agree with Mellymel - same rationale - senior and smart - coming from Vandy. His film looked good to me - not elite like a Sammy Watkins, but he may look elite in our offense with a healthy Gronk, good running game, and TB12 -

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

A lot of love for Matthews... tough to blame anyone, there's a lot to like about this kids game and measurables.  I'd prob have him, along with Moncrief, Latimer, Ellington and Abbrederis... but I'd give the nod to... this may surprise some people, but I've come full circle after watching tape on most every Day 2 WR... 

Jarvis Landry.

I just think he's a kid that come in and start/contribute early and quickly get on the same page as TB... just love his all around game and think the comps to Hines Ward and Anquan Boldin are spot on.  He'd be a great compliment to Dobson, with his hands, toughness, route running, ball skills and playmaking ability.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

I've said this many times Benjamin is the guy with the most potential, though I wouldn't kick Beckham or Cooksoff any potential first round picks. We all know by now Watkins and Evans will be off the board at no later than 15. The odds are that the Patriots will be trading out of the first round are increasing! With the QBs dropping from all reports!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

A lot of love for Matthews... tough to blame anyone, there's a lot to like about this kids game and measurables.  I'd prob have him, along with Moncrief, Latimer, Ellington and Abbrederis... but I'd give the nod to... this may surprise some people, but I've come full circle after watching tape on most every Day 2 WR... 

Jarvis Landry.

I just think he's a kid that come in and start/contribute early and quickly get on the same page as TB... just love his all around game and think the comps to Hines Ward and Anquan Boldin are spot on.  He'd be a great compliment to Dobson, with his hands, toughness, route running, ball skills and playmaking ability.

[/QUOTE]
    Landry is darned good too...also like Abbredaris...decent speed but no second gear, but is savvy, a good route runner, precise cuts, and catches the heck out of the ball....reminds me Fred Balitnikoff, not in potential, but in what he'll give you...good hands, crafty route runner..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've said this many times Benjamin is the guy with the most potential, though I wouldn't kick Beckham or Cooksoff any potential first round picks. We all know by now Watkins and Evans will be off the board at no later than 15. The odds are that the Patriots will be trading out of the first round are increasing! With the QBs dropping from all reports!

[/QUOTE]

Someone will grab Benjamin just for potential...and he's got loads of it.....someone will reach early or him because they'll fall in love with his size and athleticism.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Someone will grab Benjamin just for potential...and he's got loads of it.....someone will reach early or him because they'll fall in love with his size and athleticism.

[/QUOTE]

I think so too.  Top 20 I bet.  Maybe Pitt at 15.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think so too.  Top 20 I bet.  Maybe Pitt at 15.

[/QUOTE]

Them...or the Jets

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Hey MB your wish might be a reality... 

http://nesn.com/2014/04/report-patriots-also-met-with-lsu-wide-receiver-jarvis-landry-tuesday/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey MB your wish might be a reality... 

http://nesn.com/2014/04/report-patriots-also-met-with-lsu-wide-receiver-jarvis-landry-tuesday/

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, man... his Pro Day is today too, so I'll be interested to see how he runs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kezzamuzza. Show kezzamuzza's posts

Pats Eng

Last time I looked we had three LB's up to grade .........what others have we "tied a lot into?"

I consider it a crucial position of need and back up for the Pats this year.........if Hightower, Collins or Mayo go down who's next up? And those three can't be expected to play all snaps.Not enthused by the replacements. Could be our Achilles heel. 

Same goes for Nink and Jones........pass rush is a major concern to me .....we need a speedy covering LB who can also put the QB under pressure.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

Jarvis Landry.

Landry is darned good too...also like Abbredaris...decent speed but no second gear, but is savvy, a good route runner, precise cuts, and catches the heck out of the ball....reminds me Fred Balitnikoff, not in potential, but in what he'll give you...good hands, crafty route runner..

[/QUOTE]

Yep, def agree with your assessment... prob won't be a super star, but could be a solid WR for a long time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tg19pats. Show tg19pats's posts

Just read Lindys draft preview, they compare Landry to Eric decker in terms of body control, movement and toughness after the catch.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to kezzamuzza's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pats Eng

Last time I looked we had three LB's up to grade .........what others have we "tied a lot into?"

I consider it a crucial position of need and back up for the Pats this year.........if Hightower, Collins or Mayo go down who's next up? And those three can't be expected to play all snaps.Not enthused by the replacements. Could be our Achilles heel. 

Same goes for Nink and Jones........pass rush is a major concern to me .....we need a speedy covering LB who can also put the QB under pressure.

[/QUOTE]

A high 1st, a pick in the 20's, and a mid 2nd is a lot. You can't spend high picks on backup and rotational players every year. What happens if any position goes down are you going to spend resources on rotational guys before filling starting holes? There are areas that need starters this year or will be starters within the next year of two. Spending high on a rotational player seems like a waste when there are plenty of 4th LB options who can come in a spot start and fill the same role in the mid rounds of the draft. You don't need an immediate starter you can afford to take a player that will take a couple years to develop into a starter if they can give meaningful backup reps.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I'm fully aware that most of you will hate this idea, but I kind of like it.  

29)  ASJ  TE   UW

*trade #62 for a early/mid 3rd and an early/mid 5th

Early/mid 3rd)  Ego Ferguson  DT   LSU

93)  Jarvis Landry   WR    LSU

4th)   Brent Urban  DL   UVA 

Comp)   Antone Exum   CB/S  VA Tech

Early/mid 5th)   Logan Thomas   QB   VA Tech

6th from PHI)    Jordan Tripp  OLB   Montana

6th)  John Urschel   OL  Penn St

7th)   Aaron Lynch   DE   S. Florida

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

29)  ASJ  TE   UW

[/QUOTE]

I don't like ASJ at 29 and would prefer DaQuan to Ego, but would be ecstatic at the class overall.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to tg19pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just read Lindys draft preview, they compare Landry to Eric decker in terms of body control, movement and toughness after the catch.

[/QUOTE]

That's another fair comp... he's not a kid that will "take the top off a defense", but will be a tough and reliable (a word that's used quite a bit in reference to him) and make plays down the field from time to time... especially over the middle.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

29)  ASJ  TE   UW

[/QUOTE]

I don't like ASJ at 29 and would prefer DaQuan to Ego, but would be ecstatic at the class overall.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know you aren't crazy about ASJ, but the more I think about it, the more I believe that he is the best complete TE package in this class.  Loads of upside, and I think at worst he is a reliable weapon in the passing game and a huge upgrade in the RZ.  I'm telling ya, don't be shocked if BB takes him at 29.  As for Ego vs DaQuan, I agree that DaQuan would be better, but I couldn't justify projecting him to be available mid 3rd.  Maybe Ego would be there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

29)  ASJ  TE   UW

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know you aren't crazy about ASJ, but the more I think about it, the more I believe that he is the best complete TE package in this class.  Loads of upside, and I think at worst he is a reliable weapon in the passing game and a huge upgrade in the RZ.  I'm telling ya, don't be shocked if BB takes him at 29.  As for Ego vs DaQuan, I agree that DaQuan would be better, but I couldn't justify projecting him to be available mid 3rd.  Maybe Ego would be there.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me at all if he takes ASJ there, ha... since most don't expect him to.

I think Jones will be a Rd 2/3 kid... Top 75 or so, so he very well could be gone by then, yeah.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

29)  ASJ  TE   UW

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me at all if he takes ASJ there, ha... since most don't expect him to.

I think Jones will be a Rd 2/3 kid... Top 75 or so, so he very well could be gone by then, yeah.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I suppose Jones could hang around till mid 3rd, but I think his size and upside get him drafted late 2nd.  Hard to say for sure with DTs

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Love Landry on the field, and he's extremely impressive off of it... get this kid to Foxboro, BB!

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/LSU-WR-Jarvis-Landrys-Combine-Presser/b482e828-828b-40bf-8743-493b8a604b5e